2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,647 | Reviews: 1,319 | Show All Ratings:
garymuchow

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Tart fruit (especially cherries), wood, funk, sourness all swirling around in an orgy of aromas. Quite nice.
Pretty beer. Darker body of closer to brown than red, but clear with lots of bubble action. Dense tan head with great stability.
A little sweeter than other Flanders I've had. with a "Fizzies" taste (the baby boomer members of BA might remember them) with the sweet and sugary fruit flavors, but it's not overbalanced towards sweetness, as all the elements in the aroma appear in the taste too. Even with the shot of sweetness up front this finishes with a moderately dry and woody finish that is absolutely delightful.
The perfect refreshing and light yet full carbonation on this is wonderful and delicate and enhances the drink.
Boy this is quite an exceptional beer.

Gift from my 2nd for father's day. What a nice guy. :0)

06-26-2012 00:37:15 | More by garymuchow
ShayneTrayne

Missouri

4.69/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into Spiegelau tulip.

A - Very dark amber/brown. Head never built, and quickly dissipated into a ring around the glass.

S - Mostly vinegar with some apple cider sweetness/sourness following. Mild musty smell hiding under the latter.

T - Semi-ripened Ranier cherry dominating the taste. A touch of vinegar bitterness/sourness comes through after initial fruitiness. Musty malts playing in the mix. Somewhat vinous. In ways, I'm reminded of Scrumpy's apple cider.

M - Light and slightly carbonated with fizzy bubbles.

O - This is my first beer in this style, so I'm not entirely sure of what to think of it. All I know is what I've written and that this is truly a great beer.

09-30-2013 07:30:45 | More by ShayneTrayne
paulie

Connecticut

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

330ml bottle. "Best Before" date of 7/9/05 printed on label.

Pours a deep, deep reddish brown with a stiff head and lots of lace. Aroma of stinky feet and whiffs of fruit. First taste is so sour that it jolts you. Then it settles down and you sense layers of fruit and malt. No hop presence at all. Puckering sourness balanced by some malty sweetness in the finish. Full mouthfeel and lots of carbonation. Extremely refreshing despite the intensity of the flavor and mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

07-14-2004 06:09:19 | More by paulie
twelvsies

Maine

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a beautiful ruby-red, cranberry juice color, with a small bubbly head, fading fast. Smell is quite intense to say the least. The first thing that comes to mind is a grapey wine character, with an almost gueuze-like tang, finally finished up with a permanent marker smell. Wow. Much more subtle in the taste than in the nose. All that harshness calms down and gives way to a well rounded and complex ale. Ok, wow, again... this is really unlike anything I've had before, so it's tough to describe these tastes. There's a definate fruity quality there; plums, blackberries, grape jelly, etc... really a complex character. I'm having a hard time detecting any hops or malt in this beer, yet while it shares that quality with a lambic, this still seems more like a beer to me. Sweet juicy notes with a bit of a sour kick, though to be honest, from the smell, and from other reviews and the style description I was expecting a little more pucker. I was surprised by the slight funkiness in the finish, like a stinky cheese, a nice unexpected bonus. Interesting mouthfeel too; it seems to change from bubbly and carbonated when it first hits the mouth to a slighty syrupy yet super-smooth finish. Illusion? I have no idea, but it's great. I could drink this beer anytime, and could never get bored of it. So many nooks and crannies to discover in this beer. Go get it. Cheers to the Duchesse!

06-02-2005 01:46:31 | More by twelvsies
kimcgolf

Georgia

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

This was my first Flemish Sour, and it really grew on me. Poured to darlk brown with hints of red, and a thick tan head that lasted for the whole drink and left excellent lacing. The aroma was very funky, reminded me of those old Paz Easter Egg Coloring kits where you drop a colored tablet in pure vinegar. I was afraid of what I would be drinking next. To my great surprise, the taste was excellent. It was sour fruit, and at first caught me off guard, but I quickly adapted. Finish was dry, sour and warming. I bought this in a 4pack, and was concerned that I may have over-bought. Now, I know I will be heading back for more.

09-06-2006 01:42:21 | More by kimcgolf
brentk56

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: Pours a deep garnet color with a nice head that retains fairly well and dots the chalice

Smell: Balsamic vinegar, sour cherry, pomegranite and lactobacillus

Taste: Starts with a sweet grape juice and sour cherry element that balances perfectly along with the added dimension of vanilla oak; after the swallow, balsamic vinegar and caramel elements creep in to add complexity; sour and bitter flavors compete at the finish, but the underlying sweetness is also apparent

Mouthfeel: Medium body, slightly creamy; moderate carbonation

Drinkability: The quintessential Flanders Red; I could sip on it for hours

08-18-2007 22:38:19 | More by brentk56
tigg924

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: dark red/brown, medium head, medium carbonation, clear

Smell: sour figs, pears, and cherries

Taste: The big taste I get here is cherry sour patch kids, plus maybe a bit of berry

Mouthfeel: sour, tart, clean, and there is a sweetness to it as well

Drinkability: I think this would be an excellent starter sour. The taste is amazing and I could drink several as the alcohol is hidden.

03-29-2009 14:54:21 | More by tigg924
cwc

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

I simply can't say enough good things about this style of beer since having first tried it recently when I tasted Monk's Café Flemish Sour Red Ale. Today I went on a hunt for more Flanders Red Ales and I came up with a few, one being this Duchesse De Bourgogne.

A - This beer is a very appealing red color.

S - When I opened the bottle, there was definitely a nice smell. But now that I am drinking it from the glass I can't really smell it - perhaps my taste buds are overwhelmed by the general deliciousness of the beer?

T - Fruity, refreshing. Not overwhelming, somehow quite right, but on the whole totally unique (and I think that's the style more than this particular brew).

D - Dangerously drinkable! Refreshing! Wow...

04-10-2010 09:55:19 | More by cwc
jeremy13586

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

330ml bottle poured in to a Corsendonk glass. Best before 12/05/2013 stamped on label.

Very deep rubycolor. Light tan, two finger head forms, but disappears pretty quickly. left a minimal bit of lacing, though.

Dark fruit and a nice sourness.

Like drinking a tart cherry soda. Very rich in flavor. I'm also getting a hint of chocolate. The sour is up front and does linger for quite a bit, but the finish is sweet overall.

Champagne-like carbonation and a smooth and clean finish. Tannic, yet there is a minor syrupy feeling. Medium bodied.

I haven't fully delved in to the world of sours, but I have had this one numerous times. An absolutely delicious beer that is totally

04-02-2012 04:53:23 | More by jeremy13586
patre_tim

China

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Clear filtered dark reddish brown, little carbonation, half finger beige head. Cool lacing.

S: Balsamic vinegar, dark earthy malt, must, a bit of caramel. Very acidic.

T: A balance of sweet and sour, slight metallic end on the first sip, but not after. Malty caramel quality. Dark malts evident. Acidic is vinegar on the end, but is more of a fruit like sour without a fruitiness. Some bitter linger at the end, but minimal.

M: Medium body, medium high carbonation. Acidity clings to the tongue.

O: Love this beer. Certainly up there in my favourites. The best of the sour reds I’ve had. Its balanced for a sour and complex. Keeps me wanting more.

02-02-2013 02:31:48 | More by patre_tim
WyethBednar

4.71/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

While this is one of the most idiosyncratic beers I've ever had, it's also definitely one of my absolute favorites. I got it in one of the big wine-type bottles (not sure what the exact measurement was) over the summer, and I've gone through at least 3 more since.

Appearance: Really nice deep reddish brown. Carbonation is apparent just by looking at it. Very foamy reddish head that sticks around pretty well with good lacing throughout.

Smell: Very strong fruity aroma with a kick of hopped, spicy beer. Really interesting and prepares you for the taste very well.

Taste: Absolutely delicious. It honestly doesn't taste a whole lot like a beer (at least not what is traditionally thought of as a beer taste), but it's really great so it's never bothered me. It tastes more like a combination of champagne and wine with very fruity notes. Very full-bodied and complex and finishes strong too.

Mouthfeel: Very heavily carbonated, which is why I drew the champagne comparison.

Overall: Even though this beer is honestly like nothing else I've ever had, it still remains one of my favorites. It's complex yet very easy to drink; full-bodied and fun. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to try something truly new.

02-06-2014 02:21:23 | More by WyethBednar
Brisket

Idaho

4.71/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle from Total Wine in Federal Way, WA

A- Amber colored with a three+ finger head of large beige bubble. They dissipated quickly leaving heavy lacing.

S- All Lactic and acetic sour in the nose. Some sweetness at the end.

T- This is a beer that needs to warm up. It starts out fairly sour and metallic but at the right temperature the metal fades to sour/sweet cherry with a solid malt backbone. The sour is always there, but without the metallic component it is much softer.

M- Acid and carbonation, quite light for the amount of flavor in the beer.

O- Outstanding beer.

04-08-2014 05:32:05 | More by Brisket
RidiculedDisplay

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was my first Flanders Red, and I can say this is undoubtedly one of the most unique styles of beer I've ever tasted. Just completely in its own dimension. That being said, different also meant complex and wonderful in this instance. Pours a very deep, deep red with hints of oaky brown. Aroma is of bourbon-soaked wood, tart apple, apricot, date, grapes, dark cherry. Taste begins with tart apple, transforming into a almost tropical note, and then ending on a distinctive kick of bourbon or finer whiskey. Wow. Mouthfeel is bubbly, slightly astringent but pleasantly so. Suprisingly drinkable as well. Overall one of my favorite finds of the year.

08-31-2005 03:15:33 | More by RidiculedDisplay
Beertracker

Oklahoma

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Duchesse de Bourgogne should be served at (47-53F) from a traditional tumbler or logo goblet. This lady has plenty to offer even the pickiest of beer lovers. DDB pours up very nicely with plenty of Belgian lace. The translucent burgundy-brown body is offset beautifully by a fluffy, cream colored head. The nose is full of fruity complexity and sweet malty undertones. The classic Flanders aroma also has a subtle oak character, some oxidation and lots of noteable sourness. Hints of aged Balsamic vinegar, cordial cherries, fresh green apples, hot caramel fudge and creamy vanilla pudding come to mind. The first sip creates an initial sourness upon the palate that seems to shock every taste bud on the tongue! Once the acidity fades, then sweet caramel, roasted almond, spiced rum, and raisiny malt flavors emerge intermingled with the sourness. The finish is decidely tart, dry (oaky & tannic) and slightly spicy. The medium-full body is alive with a zesty carbonation that creates a creamy texture despite itself. This Flanders Red Ale is surprisingly smooth & drinkable. I highly recommend that you seek out some of this "Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry" of the beer world on tap. Enjoy DDB as an apertif or as a after dinner treat paired with bread pudding, cheesecake, creme brulee, flan or fresh orchard fruit & nuts.

CHEERS! Beertracker

09-05-2005 05:10:29 | More by Beertracker
Citadel82

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been over a year since I last tried this brew. Wow! I love this style.

750ml bottle purchased at Spirits Unlimited in Red Bank - cork stamped "good until Nov. 2007." I am drinking it young and loving it!

Unlike the last bottle I tried which was a 11.3. ounce crown capped bottle, this one is cork and cage finished.

Poured a deep ruby garnet with a generous off-white head that lasts and lasts and leaves clumps of thick lacing.

Aroma is funky earth, some wine vinegar and a malt like sweetness that I cannot say I have smelled before.

Taste is refreshing and complex. a tartness up front morphs into candy sugar and finishes in a bready slightly dry finish. Sour cherry candies?

Mouthfeel is creamy and light, which makes this quenching beer a real refresher.

01-21-2006 23:32:45 | More by Citadel82
xymyl

Arizona

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

This is one of my all-time favorites, and I just had some again the other night. I apparently don't drink this nearly as often as I should.

The sour notes in the aroma are strong enough to set up the sweetness of the beer as the dominant flavor for the first few sips then the interplay of the flavors starts up. Complex sweet and sour fruit, old wet oak, earth, leather... It has everything a beer with no definable hop character should have. The sweetness stood out more this time, probably because I drank it fully chilled. I typically drink it at about 60 degrees fahrenheit (or warmer) which balances it more to my taste. Try it at different temperatures, learn all about it. I've been drinking it for years and I'm still learning.

05-27-2006 17:33:23 | More by xymyl
weasbri

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

On tap at Rustico, a fine new restaurant with a beer and wine list that features one page of wines, and about 15 pages of beers. Gotta love that.
Poured into a Chimay glass. The restaurant was dark, so maybe the beer seemed darker than it is, but it was a deep red, close to brown color. The head dissipated somewhat, but left a nice lacing on the sides of the glass.
Wow, the taste. I remember reading about Duchesse, but when I ordered it, I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a tarty cherry flavor smacking me on the tongue. I almost had my non-beer drinking wife try some, but then decided to keep it for myself. The tartness is well-balanced by a very sweet fruity flavor, and it only tastes like what most people would call "beer" in the remotest sense.
This is one of those beers you take to your wine snob friends if you want to turn them into beer snobs. Lots going on, and I could drink it for days.

11-03-2006 12:51:43 | More by weasbri
IPAcraig

Tennessee

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

I had this from the botttle at Het Elfde Gebod in Amsterdam. Poured from the bottle into the proper glassware.

A - This pours a beautiful ruby brown. Small head, htat hung around ok.

Smell - I believe this is the first 5 I have given out. This is amazing. Bursting with aroma. A big sour aroma, followed by this huge sweetness. Amazing balance, amazing smell.

T - Just like the smell, it starts off with this great sour tartness, that is followed by this very nice, big sweetness, and then back to a sourness that lingers on your tounge. This is like a roller coaster for your tastebuds. Absolutely amazing. The taste of this beer doesnt reveal it self all at once, it slowly unfolds bit by bit.

A light mildly carbonated mouthfeel. This may possibly be my favorite beer. Not the most drinkable though. With such an intese flavor it may be hard to drink two of these back to back. But no matter, this is an amzing beer.

05-21-2007 14:21:58 | More by IPAcraig
DmanGTR

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - poured a transparent burgundy red with 1" off-white creamy head that clung to the tulip glass and laced well. Excellent head retention.

S - sour fruits like green apples and cherries, some fresh berries, with a white zinfandel-like tartness and very slight alcohol. Fruity and deep, some ripe grape notes and caramel malts.

T - very different from what I've ever had! Tart cherries and apples, puckering sweetness, an acidic finish with slight bitterness as that found in wine in the finish as well. Lingering fruity and acidic aftertaste.

M/D - medium bodied and well carbonated. Although it is not thick or syrupy, it can definitely be enjoyed as a sipper before or after dinner.

Overall - I bought this one on sale at Beers of the World for $10/4 pack (regularly $22 I think), still before the freshness date. I was slightly apprehensive to try it, seeing as I've never had a Flanders/Flemish Red Ale before but I was quite surprised by its tastiness and drinkability. It is a most interesting beer. It's like a blend of a Belgian dark ale and a cherry lambic with high levels of tartness. Well balanced and will entice the adventurous palate. Beauty in a very different beer. I could drink this all day.

08-04-2008 05:14:09 | More by DmanGTR
weazal

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

S: Alcohol and sourness blends perfectly. Although, a little medicinal. Some notes of sweet caramel snuck in there.

T: Shockingly sweet, puckeringly sour cherry with a rounding our creaminess. Vanilla cherry cheese cake! Perfectly balanced, unique, exciting, and tasty!

10-07-2009 22:23:37 | More by weazal
CPeterson

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A -- A brilliant amber / red concoction that bubbled to a nice head and settled well, leaving good streaks of lacing.

S -- Strongly tart yet somewhat sweet in the nose. Light acid, smells vaguely of watermelon pickles I had growing up. Faint oak aroma as well.

T -- Flavor overload. Complex tart and slightly sweet like dipping rhubarb in sugar and then eating it with pickled beets. But the acidity is not overpowering, really well balanced by the wood, ending with a sweet pucker.

M -- Well carbonated, smooth yet robust in presence. A light tart pucker to follow and a faint lingering stickiness.

D -- Again and again and some more. Please. This is the beer that introduced me to the style, and not many can even come close. Worth anyone's money for the experience alone.

03-13-2010 01:45:41 | More by CPeterson
TJBAIHWL

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

A - Beautiful dark auburn with a fairly big sticky, bubbly head that receded slowly, leaving honeycomb-like pockets of foam behind.

S - Sweet, tart, fruity. Candied sugar and very very slight vinegar & funky smells.

T - Leads off with ripe red cherries, turning into a swirl of berry & melon flavors. More sweet than tart, but also dry enough not to be cloying. Amazingly light, refreshing & complex. There's a faint off-sour note that I can't quite pick out at the end. There are beers that just taste "fruity" and then there are beers like this one that take it to the next level. A must try, 5/5

M - Soft. Great.

D - Infinitely drinkable. A beer that novices & seasoned BAs alike should love.

11-17-2010 02:39:07 | More by TJBAIHWL
ExplosivoSR

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2oz bottle poured to snifter. Best by date of 5/1/2013.

A - Pours ruby red with about two fingers of off white head and some lacing.

S - A bit softer of smell than expected, but it is welcome. It smells almost like a sour wine, with a hint of brown sugar. Not overpowering at all. Very unique.

T - An amazing balance here. Sour cherries and a hint of vinegar up front, which gives way to an unexpected sweetness which was a great treat. Lots going on.

M - Light body, and good carbonation.

O - I'd been thinking about trying this for some time, but could never pull the trigger. Thank goodness I did, because this is a treat. An exceptionally good sour, and one I will continue to by from now on.

06-21-2011 06:37:06 | More by ExplosivoSR
acevenom

Louisiana

4.73/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass. Pours reddish copper with a fluffy tan head that leaves behind plenty of lacing. The aroma is of vinegar and sour fruit (perhaps cherry or apple). It's funky. The flavor is tart up front with plenty of carbonation. I can taste some apple flavor. The sour flavor isn't overwhelming and plays well with the carbonation. The flavors are definitely interesting, but in a good way. It's medium bodied with proper carbonation. The finish is dry. This is a sipper due to the tartness, but it's an easy sipper. Overall, I'd rate this an excellent beer.

03-21-2012 21:49:14 | More by acevenom
JTSbeerislife

4.73/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle, marked “Best before 02/02/2013” also “ A blend of 8 and 18 months old beers following the carful maturation in oak casks”

Purchased 10/11 and very well stored.

Poured into a Corsendunk Tulip

Pours a huge three finger head, very foamy, lots of medium bubbles, lots! The head very slowly reduces to ½”, excellent lace.
The color is very deep red amber. Beautiful! Classic looks.

The aroma is a big blast of wild cherry smelling yeast, very powerful with a fair amount of wood peaking thru in the background. Each smell brings and ever changing cherry aroma. It is very complex and aromatic.

Crisp, delicious entry on the palate of sour wild cherry and yeast. Woody mouth drying middle, yet there is a faint suggestion of sweetness, probably mind games from the intense cherry flavor. A very pronounced and yet very balanced sourness. The medium full body and crisp acidity perfectly balance this ale. Just flat out delicious!

The finish is long and very mouth drying, consisting of sour cherry of course, followed by distinct wood. The woody dryness eventually takes charge.

This is an amazing brew, unlike any other style. Amazing flavor profile and a great choice for breakfast. Really!!
I have had this on tap several times (these notes are from bottle) with very similar taste profiles. It is more akin to drinking a fine wine than an ale, with an exceptionally enjoyable mix of fruit and wood and a complex bouquet. Wow!
Highly recommended! And an excellent introduction to the style.

04-15-2012 14:47:40 | More by JTSbeerislife