Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,605 | Reviews: 1,425
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Smells vingary at first. Great follow. Kombychka like. Awesome beer. If I could brew beers at hone I would give thus shit a shot. You need a deserni g palate for this shiz. Give it a whirl. Trying yo make a 250 word review and all I can say is "You gotta Try this shiz" not annormal beer.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A tan head with different sized bubbles tops a very clear dark plum brew with red highlights.

Smells of dark fruits and spices. Reminiscent of a BSDA. Vinegar was apparent at first, but later settled into the background. The promise of sourness tickles the nose.

The taste contains notes of lemon juice, tart fresh berries, nail polish remover (which is not actually as bad as it sounds within the context of the other flavors, but is pretty strong on the palate), ripe fresh cherries, granny smith apples and some caramel.

The mouthfeel is light; carbonation and sourness tickle the whole mouth.

Pretty drinkable and overall, a very nice brew. As my first sour, I wasn't sure what to expect but I was pleased with the results. Can't wait to explore more sours now!

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Had this on-tap at the Brick Store in Atlanta.

Pours a clear dark ruby color with a one-finger off-white head with a rose tint. The head sticks around for quite a while before receding into a thin layer on top and a thick ring around the glass. Lacing is pretty heavy.

Smells sweet and sour, mostly cherries with some sour apple mingling in there as well.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Equal parts of sweet and sour flavors up front, again mostly cherries, that has a slightly tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's very light and the carbonation makes it almost airy. Very nice.

Drinkability is good. It's not the most flavorful Flanders Red that I've had but it's solid.

Overall I enjoyed this one. The mouthfeel makes it very light and refreshing. Give this one a shot if you see it around.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

(A) Pours clean. Maroon, deep ruby/red wine colors. Amply carbonated. White head that doesn't last.

(S) Smell has some funk to it. There is a lot of fruit like cherry and green and red apples. Smells sweet and has a touch of vinegar in it.

(T) Vinegar and a lot of cherry. Good amount of berries and cranberry. You almost get the dry musk coming off of the cherries.

(M) I thought it would have been a bit harsher given the nature of the brew, but it's very smooth and oily. Medium body.

(O) Very fruity and berry. Almost reminded me of a wine cooler, but good and more body.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer poured a very nice reddish brown with an excellent white head. The smell was of yeast and tart cherries. The taste was sweet and tart. Full of red berries in the flavor. Sour cherries was the dominant flavor of this beer. Mouthfeel was good. Drinkability was also very nice. Overall this was a very nice beer. I enjoyed this beer a great deal because of the flavors.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Beautiful burgundy. Medium carbonation. Clear. Small head that goes away quickly and leaves a tiny bit of film and lacing.

Smell sour cherries. Toasted malts. Molases. Lemon.

Taste sour black cherries. Toasted malts and finishes with some breadiness (which I really like). Ruby red grapefruit. Winey. Green apple.

Mouthfeel it sticky. Nice carbonation.

Overall: I guess I am just new to this style but I was just not a huge fan of the tart/sweet taste. I am waiting for a headache to kick in from the sugar.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A Belgian Flanders Red poured into a tall chalice. Presents itself a deep ruby brown with a thin pale tan head that dissipates quickly, leaving a fine lace in the glassware. Active carbonation bubbles are evident. The nose is, to me, much like a good gueuze albeit a bit more subdued. Tart, over ripe fruits, port, slight cider venegar notes, and a hint of spice. The palate is quite sour up front, causing the mouth to water instantaneously. The sourness quickly yields to a strong sweetness, delivering a taste of confectioner's sugar, cider venegar, cherries, and baker's yeast all at once. The sweetness diminishes again in the mouth after swollowing, reminding you of the sour beginnings. Really a complex play in the mouth. If you've not experienced a Gueuze or a Flanders Red before, this interplay may be a bit much for you. The brewers achieve this by blending both young and old (cask aged) ales to create these complex beers. Once you've aquired the taste for "sour" ales, however, you'll be hooked. The mouthfeel is medium, at best, and the finish is sweet mixed with sour, and lingers long. The feel would be a bit cloying were it not for the aggressive carbonation found here. Intentional ... I'd bet on it. A very good Flanders ale, and one I wish I could find again more readily. This one took a trip to Indianapolis recently to find. These ales are a challenge to some, and very well may not be for everyone ... but if you like a good Lambic, Gueuze or Flanders Red, this is one that will not only please you, but may well be the best exemplar of the style. Terrific.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle. Good carbonation. Mild barnyard smell, definitely some cherries.

Taste was mildly sour, with cherry sweetness. I was expecting more sour.

A good Flanders Red, but I've definitely had better. I did find it pleasant, however.

Very red and very clear

Deep malt aromas, lots of cherries. Very close in aroma to a Framboise.

The taste has lots of cherries, quite sweet. So much so that I re-read the bottle to see if it was infused with fruit. Again, this is very much like a Framboise...without the lip-smacking sourness. Tastes more potent than the alcohol indicates (6% abv). The body is full, carbonation is moderate. The aftertaste is a light tartness that diminishes slowly.

This is an unusual Belgian in that it doesn't have the typical flavors/aromas. Still, it is very good. Think heavy lambic with less tart.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Bought at City Beer in S.F. and poured into a wit beer glass. Best before 18-10-07.

Nice pour. No sediment, acive carbonation and sudsy head. Deep red like cherry cough syrup.

Smells like cherries and vinegar, very nice and pleasant but bold at the same time. Grainy smell like gueuze ale.

Cherry candy taste dominates. Tart and snappy but also very sweet. Woody and metallic. Others have said Coca-Cola, which I can see but may not have picked it out myself.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick from the sugars, and the carbonation is a bit low which makes it feel even thicker. Chalky finish.

I enjoy this beer and would always be happy to drink one. Refreshing but too sweet. I wish this style was more widely available, I have only had 3 examples of this style and one was from Colorado.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Oh Duchesse. She is a beer that I had kept playing hard to get with. I would see her at the beer store and think about but never acted. I even held here a couple of times to only put her back. So when I finally had the chance to get a glass on tap I decided it was time to meet her.

This beer is a nice red amber color. The head on this beer is very tight little micro bubbles and white. This beer is very fragrant. Taking a sniff an you will know right away that this is going to be a sour beer. I'm not an expert on sour beers so I cannot really elaborate on smell other than sour. The taste really surprised me. I was totally expecting something awful. This beer has a really nice flavor that is only exemplified by the sourness. It has a very nice fruity taste. The brewery describes it as passion fruit and I will just agree to that. The overall mouthfeel is nice and light with a dry finish.

I am not a sour chaser and I really thought I would never find a sour beer that I really liked. Duchesse won me over on the first sip. Its complex flavor is completely masked by the smell. It's like the durian fruit of beer. While I'm sure its still not for everyone I think if your curious you should try a glass.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A 2 finger head quickly forms that has some nice retention. The body is a deep red and has some smaller carbonation bubbles rushing up to the head.

S Acidic and slightly tart upfront with some wood and sweet and tart apples

T Sweet and light tartness come forward right away and a light, sweet berries creep up toward the end. Well balanced and smooth drinking.

M Lighter feel in the mouth with high carbonation.

O Nice beer. I'm newer to sour/wild/etc and this one had nice tastes that complimented each other nicely.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A - pours a reddish brown with a really nice looking head sitting atop it

N - nose has vinegar and cherries - good for the style

T - starts off with some tart cherry, but this is quickly overwhelmed by some vinegar flavors. Finishes with cherries and vinegar flavors. Really tasty.

M - full and creamy, goes down smoothly

D - really solid Flanders. I have passed over this beer too many times in the past and will not make that mistake as much as I have. I don't know how to beat this in this style.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Purchased this as Vintage Estate in Boardman, OH. Couldn't wait to try this as I had been bred to expect the sour to eat my face off. While it wasn't really that sour, it was still damn solid.

Appears a very dark red with that great belgian head and lace.

Smells like nail polish at first! After you keep trying, you can get some sour apples though.

Taste isn't nearly as sour as the nose would have you believe, though you still get hints of something I can only describe as nail polish remover. The strange thing is, it works. Light sour ints of grape and apple.

Mouth is medium with relatively high carbonation.

This is a good beer and I look forward to trying it again, though I can't see where all the sour hype comes from! This is nothing to a Cantillion Kriek.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

750ml bottle poured in a Chimay chalice.

A: Amber color with a huge fluffy head. Good retention and some nice lacings left

S: Very fruity, grapes mainly. Malts and oak. Metallic. Smell of Lambic yeasts all around. Very Flamish Red Ale

T: Sweet and sour. Fruity. Malt, oak and Belgium yeasts. Reminds a Lambic

M: Light body. Very carbonated. Nice sour aftertaste

D: Delicious beer. Duchesse is something between a Faro Lambic and a Barley Wine. Quite easy drinking. Interesting experience. After the first glass I though: "too sweet and perhaps too 'winy'"... After the second glass I felt in love :p... Very drinkable, 750ml gone like water...

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

From the 750ml caged cork bottle, attractively packaged with a nice portrait on the bottle. The wife commented on it, so it must be nice. Cork dated best by June 2008. Decants with a pop, into the cervoise, a dark ruby red with heavy carbonation of large bubbles cascading up. Thick, heavy head of tight bubbles, about one finger thick and going nowhere fast. Good, clingy sheet-like lacing. Nose dominated by a definite yet not overwhelming sour-cherry scent. A bit of musty, earthy yeast, and perhaps a hint of alcohol. I was prepared for a sour flavor explosion, but I was greeted instead by a subdued cherry-like tartness tempered by sweet malts, almost candy-like, but not overly sweet. Great sweet-tart cherry flavor; I’m constantly amazed that there is no fruit used in crafting this style. Mild hoppy bitterness on the backside, kind of apple Jolly Rancher finish. Mouth is of medium viscosity with tons of gentle carbonation making things go down smooth. Sticky, short of syrupy, but the sugar’s there nonetheless. Drinkability is quite good, surprisingly; I had no problem downing the bottle, something I never would have considered with Rodenbach’s Grand Cru.

Overall: OK, I’m not a huge fan of Flanders ales or lambics, but this one is understated enough to make me try more of the style. I consumed this sample a full year before the end of the “best by” date on the cork: I wonder what a bit of cellaring would yield. Grab one of these if you have a chance, definitely recommended.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured out of a 750ml bottle into a snifter.

appearance - dark and clear reddish brown, carbonation crawling up the side of the glass, big retention on the edge of the glass with yeast spotting on top, lacing crawls down the glass

smell - wine-like nose, vinegar, dark fruit, blended, sour, rich oak

taste - sour and tart cherries, sweet grape, yeast, rich oak barrel complexity

mouthfeel - heavily carbonated, full bodied, smooth, tingle from the carbonation

drinkability - remarkably complex, very rich and flavorful, the excessive carbonation and the initial vinegar in the nose are this beer's biggest flaws but the rest of the ale is very well crafted, amazing flavor and great value

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

second time drinking this beer. Time for a review. This is my first Flemish Red, but it seems to have

Appearance: Red. Tons of lace and decent head.
Smell: Funk. Cherries and sourness
Taste: it's really good. Be prepared if you've never had the style before because it's whole other beast from most other beers. You don't taste any hops. It's quite tart and sour like those sour candies. Beneath the sourness however is a malt backbone that is similar to a amber ale.
Mouthfeel: It's thin and watery but in a good way. I like the prickly carbonation on the tounge.
Drinkabiltly: this is a slow drinker despite the wateryness and relatively low alcohol.

This makes for a great summer beer. Take it slow so it goes from cold to cellar temp. This is the only flemish red I can find and i'll pounch on the chance to try another.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

I was suspiciou at first of this beer. I am not generally a fan of Sours, but this one won me over. Very smooth and crisp. Has a nice sour taste and a full body but without the tartness of many sours. This is a beer that will not pucker your mouth with its tartness. it has a surprisingly sweet finish to it and is imminently drinkable. Even more the aroma is not overwhelming like many other sours.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into a chalice/snifter. It was a dark brown with flecks of red. It had a tan, two-finger head that left nice rings of lace. It smelled of sour cherries and malt. It tasted very sour with a little sweet kick. There was a good dosage of malt, too. It was crisp and sharp. It was medium-bodied beer.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe