Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,419 | Hads: 3,801
4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

A: Poured from the standard 750 mL bottle you see in stores. The carbonation was perfect and the cork came out easily. Pours into the goblet a deep, crystal clear gobet with a brilliant red hue and ruby highlights. A one-finger cream-colored head quickly boils to the top of the beer, in a fizzy, effervescent way, to crown this Flanders' Red. Surprisingly, the head persists, as a fine cream layer on top of the beer that shows patterns from the rim every time I lift the glass.

S: The nose is exceptional on this beer. It's extremely sweet and sour all at once. Lingering just behind the veil of sweetness is a tart, sour vinegar note, like that of sour cherries. A clove-like spiciness and the faintest hint of copper suggest a Belgian yeast. Duchesse de Bourgogne actually smells a lot like a soured Delirium Noel.

T: Deliciously smooth and sweet with a hint of tartness. This beer opens with sweet flavors of honey surrounded by sour cherries. Next comes a faint vinegar flavor, and finally, the beer finishes with a hint of butterscotch and a tart, apple juice crispiness.

M: The mouthfeel is extremely creamy and frothy, resulting in a smoothness that perfectly accentuates the sour tang left on the tongue by the Duchesse.

D: High. This beer is delicious. The only fault is that it seems to be very sugary, which makes it quite filling.

Overall, this is a pretty solid ale. It isn't overwhelmingly sour like a Kriek, but instead, so it's very accessible to non-sour drinkers. The only drawback is it's might be too sweet and sugary for some. I was a little surprised that that this filtered beer, as I expected a yeast cake on bottom, but I suppose that makes sense with the amount of residual sugar in this Flanders' Red Ale.

***Re-reviewed 5.18.2010 to edit review from 1.13.2010. The score changed to reflect a better nose, but more noticeable fillingness of the beer. Also, I seem to have missed a handful of details the first time I experienced this brew, so tasting notes were augmented.*** (2,011 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Pours a deep garnet color with a nice head that retains fairly well and dots the chalice

Smell: Balsamic vinegar, sour cherry, pomegranite and lactobacillus

Taste: Starts with a sweet grape juice and sour cherry element that balances perfectly along with the added dimension of vanilla oak; after the swallow, balsamic vinegar and caramel elements creep in to add complexity; sour and bitter flavors compete at the finish, but the underlying sweetness is also apparent

Mouthfeel: Medium body, slightly creamy; moderate carbonation

Drinkability: The quintessential Flanders Red; I could sip on it for hours (621 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

S: Alcohol and sourness blends perfectly. Although, a little medicinal. Some notes of sweet caramel snuck in there.

T: Shockingly sweet, puckeringly sour cherry with a rounding our creaminess. Vanilla cherry cheese cake! Perfectly balanced, unique, exciting, and tasty! (270 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

330ml bottle. "Best Before" date of 7/9/05 printed on label.

Pours a deep, deep reddish brown with a stiff head and lots of lace. Aroma of stinky feet and whiffs of fruit. First taste is so sour that it jolts you. Then it settles down and you sense layers of fruit and malt. No hop presence at all. Puckering sourness balanced by some malty sweetness in the finish. Full mouthfeel and lots of carbonation. Extremely refreshing despite the intensity of the flavor and mouthfeel. Very drinkable. (496 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

330ml bottle poured in to a Corsendonk glass. Best before 12/05/2013 stamped on label.

Very deep rubycolor. Light tan, two finger head forms, but disappears pretty quickly. left a minimal bit of lacing, though.

Dark fruit and a nice sourness.

Like drinking a tart cherry soda. Very rich in flavor. I'm also getting a hint of chocolate. The sour is up front and does linger for quite a bit, but the finish is sweet overall.

Champagne-like carbonation and a smooth and clean finish. Tannic, yet there is a minor syrupy feeling. Medium bodied.

I haven't fully delved in to the world of sours, but I have had this one numerous times. An absolutely delicious beer that is totally (682 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

On tap at Rustico, a fine new restaurant with a beer and wine list that features one page of wines, and about 15 pages of beers. Gotta love that.
Poured into a Chimay glass. The restaurant was dark, so maybe the beer seemed darker than it is, but it was a deep red, close to brown color. The head dissipated somewhat, but left a nice lacing on the sides of the glass.
Wow, the taste. I remember reading about Duchesse, but when I ordered it, I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a tarty cherry flavor smacking me on the tongue. I almost had my non-beer drinking wife try some, but then decided to keep it for myself. The tartness is well-balanced by a very sweet fruity flavor, and it only tastes like what most people would call "beer" in the remotest sense.
This is one of those beers you take to your wine snob friends if you want to turn them into beer snobs. Lots going on, and I could drink it for days. (921 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

A - Beautiful dark auburn with a fairly big sticky, bubbly head that receded slowly, leaving honeycomb-like pockets of foam behind.

S - Sweet, tart, fruity. Candied sugar and very very slight vinegar & funky smells.

T - Leads off with ripe red cherries, turning into a swirl of berry & melon flavors. More sweet than tart, but also dry enough not to be cloying. Amazingly light, refreshing & complex. There's a faint off-sour note that I can't quite pick out at the end. There are beers that just taste "fruity" and then there are beers like this one that take it to the next level. A must try, 5/5

M - Soft. Great.

D - Infinitely drinkable. A beer that novices & seasoned BAs alike should love. (699 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Clear filtered dark reddish brown, little carbonation, half finger beige head. Cool lacing.

S: Balsamic vinegar, dark earthy malt, must, a bit of caramel. Very acidic.

T: A balance of sweet and sour, slight metallic end on the first sip, but not after. Malty caramel quality. Dark malts evident. Acidic is vinegar on the end, but is more of a fruit like sour without a fruitiness. Some bitter linger at the end, but minimal.

M: Medium body, medium high carbonation. Acidity clings to the tongue.

O: Love this beer. Certainly up there in my favourites. The best of the sour reds I’ve had. Its balanced for a sour and complex. Keeps me wanting more. (656 characters)

Best by 27-07-10

A - Ruby reddish brown with a fluffy off white head that doesn't hang around very long but leaves a nice lacing.

S - Dark cherries and alcohol. Almost a port smell. A bit sweet at the end.

T - Oh wow. That is really good. Why have I waited so long to try this beer? Cherry and grape with a malty sweetness. Amazing flavor. The tartness and sour is there but I wish it were more. If it was more sour it would get a 5 easy.

M - Great tingly carbonation and good body.

D - Very, very drinkable. (513 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

Tart fruit (especially cherries), wood, funk, sourness all swirling around in an orgy of aromas. Quite nice.
Pretty beer. Darker body of closer to brown than red, but clear with lots of bubble action. Dense tan head with great stability.
A little sweeter than other Flanders I've had. with a "Fizzies" taste (the baby boomer members of BA might remember them) with the sweet and sugary fruit flavors, but it's not overbalanced towards sweetness, as all the elements in the aroma appear in the taste too. Even with the shot of sweetness up front this finishes with a moderately dry and woody finish that is absolutely delightful.
The perfect refreshing and light yet full carbonation on this is wonderful and delicate and enhances the drink.
Boy this is quite an exceptional beer.

Gift from my 2nd for father's day. What a nice guy. :0) (836 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

What more can be said about this classic? Beer Advocate has a lot of very knowledgeable reviewers, many of which have reviewed this exact beer. I'm not going to try and outdo those reviews, I'm only going to add how I feel about it. I love it, it's as simple as that. The smell, taste, mouth feel and overall feeling that I get from this beer is pure, unadulterated love.

The only downside of loving this beer is the price and availability. Over the years I've been able to find sources in cities outside of my area. I can get 4 packs for $21, and bombers for $11. I can only find bombers, so far, a few hours away. When I make a trip, I always come home with no less than 4 bottles that I cherish.

If I could get bombers at my local, I would have absolutely no negative comments to make about this wonderful brew. If you haven't already had it, I can't recommend it enough. (888 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Today is special. Well, sort of. This is beer #200 for us! We have drank a lot of beers over the last two years, but this is a milestone I am excited about. I am also excited about a beer trade we got in the mail today thanks to Andy Crow, a craft beer lover from Iowa. He sent a ton of bottles we haven't had before, including a bottle of KBS from Founders. Thanks for the trade, Andy!

This beer sits on the shelf at Total Wine, but no one ever buys it. I was excited to see this bottle appear in a recent beer class at Total Wine, and was BLOWN away with the flavor. I remember nothing but sour flavors; lip sucking sour flavors in this bottle. You know me and sours. Also, I love the label. The duchess looks so proper sitting there. OK, let's drink. I can't wait!!!

In the Glass: The beer pours reddish-brown; almost looks like a brown ale to be honest. It leaves a nice thin tan head on top that just sits there. Not thick, but according to the label, you are to drink this beer cold. The beer also leaves a nice thin lace.

Nose: This beer even smells sour. Actually, to be honest, the beer stinks. It is so sour that it smells gross! But that is what a Flanders red is supposed to smell like. This is also a smaller bottle, so there isn't much in my glass. I wish they sold thees in bombers. Especially with such a low ABV. A second whiff leaves me those same sour fruity notes I was getting as I poured the beer. Let's drink!

Flavor: Oh. My. GOD! That isn't beer… that is heaven in a glass. Holy crap, that is good. I mean, GREAT. It starts almost mellow and boring, then the sour flavors hit and you are stuck sucking your lips for five minutes. Then, as the beer sits on the palate, it settles to a sweet drying finish. I just looked at the brewery on Google Maps. This place is TINY. The next time we are in Belgium I want to visit the brewery and see them making this stuff in person. I do have another week of vacation this year… maybe I will go to Belgium and get lost bouncing from brewery to brewery! This is a GREAT beer if you like sours.

Mouthfeel: The front of my palate is bored to tears, but the back of my tongue is dancing with flavor. The beer is not thick, but has a nice fluffy mouthfeel. One thing I find enjoyable with sour beers are their tendency to lose that powerful sour flavor as you drink. Not sure if my palate is getting used to the flavor or what, but it allows me to enjoy a sour beer with several different flavors throughout the course of a bottle. Like I said, I just wish the bottle was bigger!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is great on this bottle. The sour flavor is there for a few swallows, but then a sweetness begins to set in and it becomes dry. With such a low ABV you could drink a ton of this stuff and never know you were drinking beer. I bet this, room temperature, would be amazing. Or, I just thought of this, with a splash of soda water. Make it a Sunday afternoon spritzer by the pool. Yummy!

I knew I was going to like this… and I like it more now than I did when I tried it in the beer class. Bravo to Brouwerij Verhaeghe. This is the only bottle from them on our list… I wonder what other beers they produce. Has anyone tried anything else from them? Oh well, this one is good enough for me to buy over and over again!!! Cheers. (3,306 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

While this is one of the most idiosyncratic beers I've ever had, it's also definitely one of my absolute favorites. I got it in one of the big wine-type bottles (not sure what the exact measurement was) over the summer, and I've gone through at least 3 more since.

Appearance: Really nice deep reddish brown. Carbonation is apparent just by looking at it. Very foamy reddish head that sticks around pretty well with good lacing throughout.

Smell: Very strong fruity aroma with a kick of hopped, spicy beer. Really interesting and prepares you for the taste very well.

Taste: Absolutely delicious. It honestly doesn't taste a whole lot like a beer (at least not what is traditionally thought of as a beer taste), but it's really great so it's never bothered me. It tastes more like a combination of champagne and wine with very fruity notes. Very full-bodied and complex and finishes strong too.

Mouthfeel: Very heavily carbonated, which is why I drew the champagne comparison.

Overall: Even though this beer is honestly like nothing else I've ever had, it still remains one of my favorites. It's complex yet very easy to drink; full-bodied and fun. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to try something truly new. (1,222 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle, marked “Best before 02/02/2013” also “ A blend of 8 and 18 months old beers following the carful maturation in oak casks”

Purchased 10/11 and very well stored.

Poured into a Corsendunk Tulip

Pours a huge three finger head, very foamy, lots of medium bubbles, lots! The head very slowly reduces to ½”, excellent lace.
The color is very deep red amber. Beautiful! Classic looks.

The aroma is a big blast of wild cherry smelling yeast, very powerful with a fair amount of wood peaking thru in the background. Each smell brings and ever changing cherry aroma. It is very complex and aromatic.

Crisp, delicious entry on the palate of sour wild cherry and yeast. Woody mouth drying middle, yet there is a faint suggestion of sweetness, probably mind games from the intense cherry flavor. A very pronounced and yet very balanced sourness. The medium full body and crisp acidity perfectly balance this ale. Just flat out delicious!

The finish is long and very mouth drying, consisting of sour cherry of course, followed by distinct wood. The woody dryness eventually takes charge.

This is an amazing brew, unlike any other style. Amazing flavor profile and a great choice for breakfast. Really!!
I have had this on tap several times (these notes are from bottle) with very similar taste profiles. It is more akin to drinking a fine wine than an ale, with an exceptionally enjoyable mix of fruit and wood and a complex bouquet. Wow!
Highly recommended! And an excellent introduction to the style. (1,519 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was my first Flanders Red, and I can say this is undoubtedly one of the most unique styles of beer I've ever tasted. Just completely in its own dimension. That being said, different also meant complex and wonderful in this instance. Pours a very deep, deep red with hints of oaky brown. Aroma is of bourbon-soaked wood, tart apple, apricot, date, grapes, dark cherry. Taste begins with tart apple, transforming into a almost tropical note, and then ending on a distinctive kick of bourbon or finer whiskey. Wow. Mouthfeel is bubbly, slightly astringent but pleasantly so. Suprisingly drinkable as well. Overall one of my favorite finds of the year. (648 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2oz bottle poured to snifter. Best by date of 5/1/2013.

A - Pours ruby red with about two fingers of off white head and some lacing.

S - A bit softer of smell than expected, but it is welcome. It smells almost like a sour wine, with a hint of brown sugar. Not overpowering at all. Very unique.

T - An amazing balance here. Sour cherries and a hint of vinegar up front, which gives way to an unexpected sweetness which was a great treat. Lots going on.

M - Light body, and good carbonation.

O - I'd been thinking about trying this for some time, but could never pull the trigger. Thank goodness I did, because this is a treat. An exceptionally good sour, and one I will continue to by from now on. (704 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - poured a transparent burgundy red with 1" off-white creamy head that clung to the tulip glass and laced well. Excellent head retention.

S - sour fruits like green apples and cherries, some fresh berries, with a white zinfandel-like tartness and very slight alcohol. Fruity and deep, some ripe grape notes and caramel malts.

T - very different from what I've ever had! Tart cherries and apples, puckering sweetness, an acidic finish with slight bitterness as that found in wine in the finish as well. Lingering fruity and acidic aftertaste.

M/D - medium bodied and well carbonated. Although it is not thick or syrupy, it can definitely be enjoyed as a sipper before or after dinner.

Overall - I bought this one on sale at Beers of the World for $10/4 pack (regularly $22 I think), still before the freshness date. I was slightly apprehensive to try it, seeing as I've never had a Flanders/Flemish Red Ale before but I was quite surprised by its tastiness and drinkability. It is a most interesting beer. It's like a blend of a Belgian dark ale and a cherry lambic with high levels of tartness. Well balanced and will entice the adventurous palate. Beauty in a very different beer. I could drink this all day. (1,215 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A -- A brilliant amber / red concoction that bubbled to a nice head and settled well, leaving good streaks of lacing.

S -- Strongly tart yet somewhat sweet in the nose. Light acid, smells vaguely of watermelon pickles I had growing up. Faint oak aroma as well.

T -- Flavor overload. Complex tart and slightly sweet like dipping rhubarb in sugar and then eating it with pickled beets. But the acidity is not overpowering, really well balanced by the wood, ending with a sweet pucker.

M -- Well carbonated, smooth yet robust in presence. A light tart pucker to follow and a faint lingering stickiness.

D -- Again and again and some more. Please. This is the beer that introduced me to the style, and not many can even come close. Worth anyone's money for the experience alone. (778 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass. Pours reddish copper with a fluffy tan head that leaves behind plenty of lacing. The aroma is of vinegar and sour fruit (perhaps cherry or apple). It's funky. The flavor is tart up front with plenty of carbonation. I can taste some apple flavor. The sour flavor isn't overwhelming and plays well with the carbonation. The flavors are definitely interesting, but in a good way. It's medium bodied with proper carbonation. The finish is dry. This is a sipper due to the tartness, but it's an easy sipper. Overall, I'd rate this an excellent beer. (570 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been over a year since I last tried this brew. Wow! I love this style.

750ml bottle purchased at Spirits Unlimited in Red Bank - cork stamped "good until Nov. 2007." I am drinking it young and loving it!

Unlike the last bottle I tried which was a 11.3. ounce crown capped bottle, this one is cork and cage finished.

Poured a deep ruby garnet with a generous off-white head that lasts and lasts and leaves clumps of thick lacing.

Aroma is funky earth, some wine vinegar and a malt like sweetness that I cannot say I have smelled before.

Taste is refreshing and complex. a tartness up front morphs into candy sugar and finishes in a bready slightly dry finish. Sour cherry candies?

Mouthfeel is creamy and light, which makes this quenching beer a real refresher. (779 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Had this on-tap at the Cheeky Monk, Colorado.

A - Nice 1 1/2 finger head with a deep red/brown color when held up to the light.

S - Aroma of sweet and sour fruit/cherry.

T - Medium body that finishes with kind of a scotchish/nutty flavor. The sweet and sour stay on your palate long after you finish.

D - Could have had a couple more glasses of the Duchesse! Goes down great and the flavors are outstanding! (411 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +15.4%

Why ever drink any thing again after this beer. I love this beer I can’t stop drinking it. I drink it in my Maudite Tulip glass...The color of Duchesse is a wonderfully dark red and it looks awesome behind the maudites winged devil...the head is around 2-3 fingers and a light tan color not real sticky but some nice lace. Smell is a sour smell but so much more...hard to explain I fine this beer very complex. Taste is sour and very drinkable no ALC. taste, being only 6%abv. This was expected. All in all if you are looking for something different to try, try a sour Flemish tonight and this is an awesome example of them. (625 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle from Total Wine in Federal Way, WA

A- Amber colored with a three+ finger head of large beige bubble. They dissipated quickly leaving heavy lacing.

S- All Lactic and acetic sour in the nose. Some sweetness at the end.

T- This is a beer that needs to warm up. It starts out fairly sour and metallic but at the right temperature the metal fades to sour/sweet cherry with a solid malt backbone. The sour is always there, but without the metallic component it is much softer.

M- Acid and carbonation, quite light for the amount of flavor in the beer.

O- Outstanding beer. (578 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%

From the freshness dated 11.2 oz bottle, (best before 07 03 2015) into a large wine chalice results in a reddish tinged brown body with some clarity topped by a nice stubborn frothy inch thick head that sticks all over the sides as the level drops, very nice.
Aroma is not overpowering but hints of vinegar, green apple, red licorice and wine subtle softness prevails and invites.
Taste is... wow, sour,no sweet,no sour, berries, leather, candy, a slight grassy,sour again then a sweet coating prickly effervescence but in a medium thick liquid? This is a mesmerizing composition, nothing out of place but more than the sums of its many players
Overall, just wonderful (671 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%

I had this from the botttle at Het Elfde Gebod in Amsterdam. Poured from the bottle into the proper glassware.

A - This pours a beautiful ruby brown. Small head, htat hung around ok.

Smell - I believe this is the first 5 I have given out. This is amazing. Bursting with aroma. A big sour aroma, followed by this huge sweetness. Amazing balance, amazing smell.

T - Just like the smell, it starts off with this great sour tartness, that is followed by this very nice, big sweetness, and then back to a sourness that lingers on your tounge. This is like a roller coaster for your tastebuds. Absolutely amazing. The taste of this beer doesnt reveal it self all at once, it slowly unfolds bit by bit.

A light mildly carbonated mouthfeel. This may possibly be my favorite beer. Not the most drinkable though. With such an intese flavor it may be hard to drink two of these back to back. But no matter, this is an amzing beer. (931 characters)

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe