2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,646 | Reviews: 1,319 | Show All Ratings:
BoozySmurf

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%

My first sour, enjoyed before dinner with my wife and our friends. Poured into a tulip glass with a murky reddish-brown color. Lighting at Falls Taproom isn't great though. Head was white and substantial. Smells a bit musty, malty sweetness also, and a hint of vinegar. Overall light aroma, nothing overpowering. Flavor was initially sweet and sour, mostly sour and sort of a balsamic quality. This flavor, while pleasant, departed quickly and the aftertaste was musty. Sort of like a wet dog smell that lingers on the palate. I've experienced this in the past (most notably with Arrogant Bastard) and my guess is that certain hops disagree with me. Unfortunately the aftertaste is what lingered. Mouthfeel was a little sticky, but light. Overall impression was disappointing. I was looking forward to a mouth-puckering vinegar experience (I loves me some deli pickles) but the aftertaste overwhelmed the initial sour flavors. This was my first "sour" so I'll probably try it again. Geez though they're always so damn expensive!

08-07-2011 04:00:24 | More by BoozySmurf
jasonjlewis

2.83/5  rDev -31.8%

I haven’t been marking the blind tasted beers I have had. My girlfriend poured this for me out of 7 beers I gave her to choose from.

Appearance: little head with decent lacing: Red color. I can see my fingers through the glass. 2.0

Smell: 4.5 toffee and black currents and grapes with caramel. A heavenly delight of a smell

Taste: 2.5 This beer is incredibly sweet. Loads of candy sugar in this, I am sure. Belgian sugar candy with black currant. Back round is of toffee and caramel. This beer has crazy sweetness It’s very cloying. I am smacking my lips because of the sweetness. It is tart and sweet. Some balancing sourness comes out as the beer warms. This could become well rounded if they put less candy sugar in this beer.

Mouthfeel: 2.0This beer is undercarbonated and makes my lips smack. The overly sugariness of the beer does not make for a good mouthfeel.

Drinkability: 2.5 I could drink this beer fast because it is so sweet, but it wouldn't make for that enjoyable og an expriece.

10-28-2007 08:22:38 | More by jasonjlewis
0110x011

2.88/5  rDev -30.6%

Recieved this in the TIF from Kempleton. Thanks!

Pours a murky dark amber color, with a frothy two-finger head and not much lacing. Nose is dark fruit and vinegar, with that lactic sour sting. The sourness hits first, but then quickly fades, giving way to sugar. Like pure sugar. This is waaay too sweet for the flemish sour style. The sweetness & sugar overpower any hint that his might be a Flanders Red. Tastes to me like what Dogfish Head would do with this style. Medium mouthfeel, but the sweetness takes away that crisp, palate-cleansing refreshment I so look forward to with Flanders Reds. If you're new to the style, it might be an interesting drink. if you've had any other Flanders Reds, avoid it.

06-25-2008 17:23:12 | More by 0110x011
FLAbeergutinMASS

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%

Now I'll admit that I am not a huge fan of this beer, even though this is my first and probably last time I'll try this style. I don't have anything to compare it too, so I'll be as objective as possible.

Served in what seemed to be red wine glass. Not much activity in terms of carbonation, or head. Brandywine red color.

Smell like malt vinegar. Really.

Tasted like malt vinegar. Really.

This was one beer that I could not wait to finish. One of the least drinkable beers I have ever had. I simply did not enjoy this beer.

06-09-2005 16:25:31 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
PapaEugene

Netherlands

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%

One of the beers that was on the menu of the beer tasting that I had with fellow member rvdoorn.

Appearance

Nice deep red colour like a good Bourgondy wine. Very minor lacing.

Smell

The smell almost made me throw away this beer, thinking it was rotten. The smell of wine gone bad, vinegar and my daughter's vomit.

Taste

RvDoorn had to convince me to taste this beer after this horrible smell. So, huge contrast to the smell. Tastes like a Kriek beer to me but also a good bodied wine. Red fruits, cherry, strawberry. At a certain point closed my nose to keep drinking.

Mouthfeel

Carbonation was high for my standards. The aftertaste balances between sweet and sour. A little bitter

Drinkability

Well, I will not try this beer again. Too bad, as I really liked the taste. The smell spoils it all.

07-31-2009 08:54:06 | More by PapaEugene
cokes

Wisconsin

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

Cherried dark amber with a modest and slow-to-fade brown head.
Nose of raspberry vinaigrette, oak, and sugared red grapes.
Sweet and sour truly defines this. Like the sauce. You could dip chicken nuggets in this (actually, it's much more akin to German Sauerbraten in flavor, as opposed to McD's).
Alternatively, you could toss it on your salad, with it's screaming vinaigrette flavors.
This vinegar flavor is countered with brown sugar and cola syrup. Fruit notations too, caramelized plums, raspberries and cherries are foremost, but this seems to shift its shape enough for any number of fruit hues to be located. More brown sugar and cola midway. Tartness fades, and some light funk is introduced. Spoiling cream cheese, oak barrels, and perspiration. Ends with a crack of cinnamon and some lingering, sticky sweetness.
Light bodied and fizzy, yet a bit gooey as well.
There's a good deal that I like here, but it fails to coalesce into an enjoyable beverage. It's actually the sweetness here, rather than the sourness, that makes me wince.

04-30-2004 06:08:21 | More by cokes
Gaisgeil

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

Hm, reading the other reviews really makes me wonder if something was wrong with my particular bottle...

Poured a beautiful deep red with a thin lace of a head. Nose was very intriguing, notes of apple peel, grains, very fragrant. The taste followed a similar vein only to be taken by an intense sourness, not unbearable, but not particularly pleasent either.

I'll have to revisit this brew another time, I seem to be the only one with this experience.

02-28-2005 03:13:45 | More by Gaisgeil
kgotcher

Colorado

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours a murky dark amber color with a thin tan head.

Aroma is seriously funky, very dark and heavy with a port character to it.

Taste is very sweet and tart. Sour cherry fruityness is abundant, with little actual taste of beer. Strong carbonation. There is a wierd earthyness flavor also probably a blend of the oak and some wild fermentation.

Frankly I don't get this beer, maybe just the style since I am not familiar with it, reminds me of a lambic with the high sweetness factor.

I don't think I will be trying this again soon.

07-12-2006 02:16:05 | More by kgotcher
Rudgers73

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured from a 330 mL bottle into a short chalice. I bought this bottle because it was Belgian and I tend to like Belgians. I poured it and it looked like a nice BSDA with a deep brown-red color, tan head that stuck around, and a touch of carbonation. It smells buttery at first with a sweet smell I have never smelled before. Almost like banana and really young pears. I took a taste and it was not what I expected at all. A wild, tart, rich flood of apples, grapes, and walnuts (maybe from the oak). Until I looked at BA.com I didn't know I had stumbled into my first Flanders Red Ale. The mouthfeel was tart and dry, with sharp sticky-sweet notes. Very crisp and clean. I think I would have liked this more if I knew that it was a Flanders. I went into it expecting a deep, round, caramel taste. For now I think FRA's are a bit too tart for my taste as I am currently swinging from belgian darks to american IPA's. Too much for the time being, but maybe I'll return and buy a few in a few months.

12-15-2006 13:47:26 | More by Rudgers73
Dspohn

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

11.2 oz poured into an oversized wine glass.

A. Pours a very dark ruby/brown but has some excellent red highlights. A little dark for me considering the style but it does have some nice lacing.

S. Sweet and sour vinegar aspects, has a nice balance. Not quite the sour punch I was hoping for but there is definitely sour cherry/red fruit smell present that I would expect. A little muted but it smells pretty good.

T. Damn. The taste brings the flaw that I was hoping to avoid from the smell. Sweet and sour but the sweetness wins out in the taste. Unfortunately I find the sweetness to be of a balsamic vinegar nature as opposed to dark red fruits, which would be more pleasing. Not enough tart cherry or acidity or drying characteristics to balance it out sufficiently.

M&D. Nice light mouthfeel, not too syrupy or anything but becomes a chore to drink after awhile for me. Would be a great introduction to those looking to explore beers with more sour qualities without being overwhelmed. Dont think I'll be buying much more of this however, a decent offering but when I'm looking for a flanders red ale I'd rather spend my money on some others over this one. (Rodenbachs and La Folie come to mind...)

09-20-2010 01:44:46 | More by Dspohn
jackndan

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

Duchesse de Bourgogne: a reddish beer sitting under an initially thick off-white head. Great, thick lacing all the way down the side of the glass. Aroma is very sweet with hints of cherries. The taste is very remarkable: mixed sweet and sour that is almost candy like, unfortunately there is an unmistakable vinegar taste/aroma that is present throughout. The taste is very intense, and complex. Before I forget, the aftertaste is dry, and leaves almost a cabernet impression. Some sharp alcohol sensations as well. Overall, the sweetness kills this brew for me, but I’d give it too a wine drinker to show them what they are missing.

04-16-2003 20:57:21 | More by jackndan
charlesw

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

Very pretty... Deep burgundy/amber. Plenty clear while being (sigh) plenty opaque. You with me? Medium-height, dark head of really tight bubbles. Still have a full cover of head after 5 minutes (wow).
Smells like a walk in the woods on a nice fall day. Sweet and musky... Huge sweet raisin nose with plenty of caramel malts in there, too...
Very fruity in the mouth. Sweetened sour cherries, hints of that caramel. Medicinal in the back of the mouth and followed by a sour aftertaste that lingers several minutes. It's very interesting how it changes in your mouth - each of the first 10 seconds gives a new wave of something completely different.
Very crisp and clean in the mouth - perhaps medium in body but with a high level of carbonation - even a bit fizzy.
So... Drinkable? Well, yeah. Say the day is hot and you want something refreshing to cleanse your palate... Yeah, this would do the trick perfectly. It's not well adapted for drinking right now - it's 15F out with 30mph winds!

And, uh, well. I won't be able to finish the (750ml) bottle. It's just too...

02-17-2006 22:09:23 | More by charlesw
JDV

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

Dark, deep reddish brown pour that lets some light through. Smell is kind of a funky, sour cherry and wine like aroma without a strong offputting vinegar scent. Gooey band-aid-y aroma that I don't care for, though. If that were in a regular beer it would be called infected. If it's in a Sour Ale, its pleasant?? Flavor is sweeter and less sour than expected. Fairly sweet up front, but finishing dry with a bubbly champagne like body and flavors that are reminiscent of cherry, grape and cranberries. A bit hard to describe as its only my 1st or 2nd sour ale. All in all, not a bad experience and a unique beer that is like a funky fruit soda. I would have to get used to that odd smell though, to really enjoy this beer again.

03-15-2008 20:13:09 | More by JDV
beerfairy

A - Very nice foam presence, a copper-ish brown color

S - Vinegar and diacytel with hits of prune

T - Sweet vinegar and prune tastes

I'm not sure if I got a good bottle of this one, will have to try again, but it's expensive. It was from a 750ml bottle.

10-15-2008 01:07:37 | More by beerfairy
Lunch

Maryland

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

Served from a 750ml bottle purchased by a friend at The Village Pump in College Park, MD into two Three Philosophers' goblets at a seemingly appropriate temperature (01/15/10). After a several year hiatus from the Old Flanders Red, we decided to give it another go.

A: Pours a slightly syrupy hazy mahogany with ruby hues capped with a slight off-white which dissolved to a collar leaving unremarkable lace.

S: Rather potent aroma of red wine vinegar and some dark red fruits as well as well. Not really my cup of tea, but not nearly a vinegary as I remembered.

T: I must say that I really tried to give this beer a chance, but it is not really doing much for me. The vinegar taste certainly in not as strong as the aroma and there are some nice dark red fruit tones, but the tartness is a bit much for me. I appreciate the complexity and craftsmanship of this ale, but not my sort of flavor profile.

M: Medium-bodied with low and sightly creamy carbonation. There is a slight sticky feel and syrupy feel.

D: Sours at this point are just not my thing. Perhaps this will change in the future.

Overall this was quite an experience and I am glad that I revisited this style, but still not really a fan. Thanks hyempdaddy for picking this one up. Recommended to fans of the style and worth a look to those that are intrigued by sours.

01-15-2010 15:27:06 | More by Lunch
kbutler1

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

On draft. Short review as I am at the bar and in a rush. Sour fruit aromas. Acidic taste. Notes of nail polish remover and acetone. The acetone mixed with the sweetness of this beer really is a turn off to me. Reddish color with a tan head. Not terribly good but ok for the style. Light/medium mouthfeel.

08-20-2010 19:54:15 | More by kbutler1
bs870621345

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a deep amber/red/ruby color with minimal head. Little bit of lacing down the glass.

Smells of plums, raisons, red wine (port), and light lactic sourness.

Taste follows smell, plums and raisons, and finishes with a funky sourness. I love sour beers, but this is just off putting in the worst kind of way.

Mouthfeel is moderate with low carbonation

Overall, it tastes pretty bad, but nothing else is overly off putting, Get a Rodenbach instead.

03-28-2011 01:48:03 | More by bs870621345
benfons

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A: cola colour, small dark beige head

S: sweet vinegar, hints of cherry

T: sweet cherries, slightly murky, too sweet for my taste

M: medium body, sticky, good carbonation

O: by far my least favourite Flemish red, way too sweet, nothing refreshing, very little balancer, just sweet cherries

01-22-2014 16:10:32 | More by benfons
PhageLab

2.98/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured into a tulip.

A - Gorgeous cedar coloration with a deep ruby hue. Produced a nice bit of froth and laced magnificently. Retention was on point. No room for improvement in the looks department.

S - Sugary malts, vinegar, and something a bit sour. Quite interesting.

T - Intense sour flavor with a hint of oak. There is some sweet malt backing, but not enough to help the raw taste of vinegar.

M - Light bodied and dry with a low carbonation level. Causes an odd feeling in the back of my throat, which reminds me of bad wine.

D - Too much for me. I have several friends who love this stuff and recommended it several times, but I can't get on the same page. Interesting brew, but not one for me.

07-18-2011 23:21:19 | More by PhageLab
Dogbrick

I am still a little new to Flemish Sour Ales, Rodenbach Alexander being the only other one I have tried so far. From what I understand both are good examples of the style. That being the case I am fairly certain this is not a style I am a big fan of. Pours a dark amber/brown with a thick multi-colored head (beige with light brown splotches), with thin lacing. Aroma is alternatingly fruity and sour. The flavor actually reminded me of some Ohio Buckeye Brown that I tried not too long ago that had gone way past the "best by" date. Tart and vinegary flavor is tangy throughout. The finish is like an oaky Merlot. I was able to drink most of this in small doses, but I just can't appreciate the style.

05-07-2003 06:22:24 | More by Dogbrick
NJpadreFan

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Duchesse- Flanders Red Ale

Appearance- Blood red with no head.
Smell- Strong white vinegar with sour cherries.
Taste- Sour cherry and grape with a backbine of malt vinegar.
Mouthfeel- Sour up front with a dry/ sweet malt vinegar finish.

Overall- A beer that went exceptional well with my salty fries.

05-20-2007 19:03:21 | More by NJpadreFan
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Was fairly excited the first time I tried this, heard it was one of the all time classics. Poured equal parts light brown and dull red with a little bit of head formation. Aroma was a heavy wood and proportional sweet and sour.

Taste, the sour was very minimal was my first reaction, the sweet a little more than ideal for me, to say the least, and any degree of soggy wood, much less to that extent wasn't built to leave me all that impressed. Some flanders just don't have that acidic or fruity bite, and this be one of those. Decently covers up the alcohol, but doesn't impart really any appreciable tartness. Not enough carbonation. If anything I'd say I pull out some cocoa powder and toffee over flavors more often associated with something sour.

If there was fruit, it was that raisin and plum thing, as if it were made with tea. Sorry, I just don't see what the fuss about this one is.

01-02-2012 07:49:55 | More by Beerandraiderfan
botham

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%

12 oz poured into a tulip glass. pours a chocolate brown with deep ruby red highlights, and a sizable sandy colored head that remains through consumption, leaving patterned lacings on the glass..

smells of grapes, like a red wine. there is malt mixed in the aroma, with some bready yeast for a base. overall resembles a wine in its aroma.

taste is very sweet upfront, with the same grape flavor from the aroma. not much malt or hops here, creating a very sweet tasting fruit juice of a liquid. the maturation in oak casks is nowhere to be smelled or tasted, must be lost in the fruit.

mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with a bite from carbonation and alcohol, and a creamy texture. goes down very smooth.

drinkability is not very good due to the overly sweet nature of the brew. the bite from the carbonation and alcohol makes drinking it resemble a can of grape soda.

07-26-2007 02:11:51 | More by botham
dsa7783

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%

Purchased an 11.2 oz bottle from Total Wine and More in Union, the first Flanders Red Ale I ever tried, and to be honest, I was pretty overwhelmed with the cloying, thick, rich, and ultra-sweet taste I encountered... nice ruby-red appearance with decent frothy head... smell is sharp and sweet, full of pine, sugars, and candy... taste is extremely rich and ultra dominating, very, very sweet with a strong apple-cider taste overpowering the beer... the smell is strongly alcoholic even though there is a modest 6.2% ABV... With such a strong and rich combination of flavors, this is definitely not a brew that I would want to down more than one of in a single setting... Copped this single sample for about $4.99... Very over-powering and strong... took it easy with this one... you will either love it or hate it...

01-23-2008 00:03:33 | More by dsa7783
AgentZero

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%

A - Very brown beer here, was expecting more of the red, especially with the initial smell that came from opening the bottle. Not a whole lot of amber showing through on this one.

S - Wow, talk about vinegar. It's overpowering, great if that's your thing.

T - Tastes a lot more full than the smell would indicate, but the smell is getting in the way of this. Very sour beer, but sweet as well.

M - Once again, more than you would expect from the smell, medium bodies, but kind of oily. Nice carbonation on this one.

D - Very easy drink, particularly if you like sour taste. Will get you drunk quite easily.

08-17-2009 02:04:08 | More by AgentZero