2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Ratings: 2,647 | Reviews: 1,319 | Show All Ratings:
ahking

3.43/5  rDev -17.3%

Interesting beer. One of the prettiest looking beers I have seen. Deep mahogany wood color with lacy white head. Had no idea what to expect when I picked up this 750 ml bottle. Tangy cherries and raspberries hit your tongue first off. Champagne bubblyness tickles your mouth. Smells of sloe gin. Light and refreshing mouthfeel. Extra points for being unique.

07-25-2005 22:58:46 | More by ahking
bashiba

Iowa

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured a nice copper/red color with a thick creamy head and good retention.

Smell was dominated by the odor of sour cherries.

Taste starts out sour then quickly mellows into a smooth woody charachter. Has a nice fruityness to it with a very deep overall flavor.

Mouthfeel is thin and light with a nice amount of carbonation.

A very good and enjoyable beer, very drinkable.

07-23-2005 01:34:14 | More by bashiba
pjwilson

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

second time drinking this beer. Time for a review. This is my first Flemish Red, but it seems to have

Appearance: Red. Tons of lace and decent head.
Smell: Funk. Cherries and sourness
Taste: it's really good. Be prepared if you've never had the style before because it's whole other beast from most other beers. You don't taste any hops. It's quite tart and sour like those sour candies. Beneath the sourness however is a malt backbone that is similar to a amber ale.
Mouthfeel: It's thin and watery but in a good way. I like the prickly carbonation on the tounge.
Drinkabiltly: this is a slow drinker despite the wateryness and relatively low alcohol.

This makes for a great summer beer. Take it slow so it goes from cold to cellar temp. This is the only flemish red I can find and i'll pounch on the chance to try another.

07-21-2005 02:22:20 | More by pjwilson
granger10

Wisconsin

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle. Pours a deep reddish almost brown color. Huge foamy, airy tan head rests on tap. Tons of lacing. Aroma is sour and vinous but not too acidic at all or pungent. Taste has a weird contrast of sweet and tart. The sweetness is fruity and kind of sugary but is soon balanced out by a drying tartness. Finish lingers a bit. Not really the vinegar wretching beer like other Flemish Reds I have tried and the sweetness isn't as deep of a maltyness. Take those characteristics as either good things or bad things. I couldn't really get totally into this beer but I didn't mind it really either.

07-08-2005 02:36:11 | More by granger10
ILiveOffHops

New Hampshire

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

I first tried the Duchess at the Dove. I couldn't believe how much it tasted more like a tart wine than a beer. That was my first try of a Flanders, and this is my tasting of it at home. Still the one and only Flanders I've tried.

I got this bottle from a friend who bought it at Harrington's in Chelmsford...a great beer store if you live in northern MA. The Duchess is an unbelievable red color...almost opaque. I've never seen a red glow like the one this beer gives off in front of light.

Smells incredible...like cherries and other fruits. Some tartness too

Tastes more tart and much more sour than the aroma suggests. Still sweet at the same time and the sweetness grows over time.

I'm not sure how drinkable this style of beer is in general...at least for me. I'm not going to blame the Duchess for this..in fact I feel like if I had an appropriate meal I could have 2 of these with dinner. Overall, the Duchess is a brew I would only have once in a while. Too much flavor and sourness for an "everyday" beer. Even so, I give this my approval.

07-01-2005 04:10:00 | More by ILiveOffHops
Tim2000

Quebec (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

330 mL brown bottle, best before 10 months from now.

Dark mahogany brown, very clear brew with a small cap of tightly knit bubbles that leaves a bit of lacing.

Notes of ripe sour cherries, raisins, cloves and cinnamon melt together in a complex, spicy and tart aroma.

This is an intensely flavourful beer. A dominant cherry fruitiness, with hints of berries and green apples, is complemented by clove. Alcohol is definitely present and lends a pleasant warming sensation. Quite a sweet beer, reminiscent of port, but a mild cidery tartness leaves the palate refreshed. Finishes dry and spicy. Body is thin but silky and carbonation is moderately high.

Delicious.

06-27-2005 02:11:17 | More by Tim2000
mynie

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev -6%

Sampled ontap at Old Capitol in Iowa City.

This is the first Flanders Red I've ever sampled and to tell the truth I had no idea what to expect.

It poured like a nice Strong ale. A dark, dark brown with ruby hues.

The smell took me aback. Strong acidic fruit with a harsh twang of alcohol. It took a moment to get used to, but I began to really enjoy it.

Tasted acidic like vinegar mixed with OJ, hints of melon and lemon and a harsh, sweet cherry. It's like all of your favorite fruits tossed with a light and pleasant vinaigrette. The flavor remains constant throughout, from start to finish, and it leaves a sour taste in your mouth after it's swallowed.

My only knock on this beer is that it's not easy to drink. I mean, for as strong as it tastes and smells it does go down pretty easily--but it's a very, very strong taste.

06-25-2005 18:05:18 | More by mynie
rajendra82

Georgia

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Green (Ack!) Champagne style 750 ml. bottle with a wire cage, and an best by date of Oct 2007 printed on the cork. The body was dark red - bordering on brown, clear, fizzy, and topped with a two finger foamy beige head. The aroma was a complex mix of wood glue, soured cherries, saffron, floral hops, and a touch of hay. The taste was light, fruity, and airy. The flavor was sweet-sour like granny smith apples, pickles, vinegar, and whipped cream. The yeast presented itself as an earthy and slightly spicy background tone. Mouthfeel was very light and delicate. Towards the end the sweetness got quite a bit cloying, but I think this was an intentional effect using NutraSweet (or so I’ve heard).

I can see the craft in this beer, and the tangent that it has traveled along. It hasn’t gone so far as to become a malt vinegar flavored alco-pop, but is has flirted close enough to avoid frequent visits. Extra points for being gutsy.

06-19-2005 04:23:04 | More by rajendra82
UncleFlip

Alabama

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

It's definitely not an everyday beer- yet right now, I think this beer is my favourite. A friend commented that the flavour of this beer is going in 1000 different directions at once- and that's a fair assessment.

It arrived in a glass that bore its name...As I put my nose close to the short fat goblet, I picked up a vinegary smell- it made me think just a bit of a beer that was infected....however, not in an unpleasant way. The deep ruby colour was hard to pick up on, as the upstairs bar at the Brick Store was somewhat dimly lit (as was I, at the moment). First taste was not quite what I expected- though it matched the smell very well. The vinegar overtones and infection-taste were there, but again, not unpleasantly. There was a bit of citrus-acid tang to it as well, the type that in large doses can give you a pang of slight pain just where your jaw meets your neck. Yet there was also a dark, malty sweetness that was carried on a thinner body than I expected.

Take this one slowly, and let it caress you. You don't want to take things to fast with this formidable woman.

(edit: since this review I have found better beers in this style, and this one is not as appealing as it once was- though it will always have a special place for me, being my first of the style...)

-UF

06-16-2005 01:31:41 | More by UncleFlip
FLAbeergutinMASS

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%

Now I'll admit that I am not a huge fan of this beer, even though this is my first and probably last time I'll try this style. I don't have anything to compare it too, so I'll be as objective as possible.

Served in what seemed to be red wine glass. Not much activity in terms of carbonation, or head. Brandywine red color.

Smell like malt vinegar. Really.

Tasted like malt vinegar. Really.

This was one beer that I could not wait to finish. One of the least drinkable beers I have ever had. I simply did not enjoy this beer.

06-09-2005 16:25:31 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
NEhophead

On tap at the Moan and Dove.

Very faint off white head that holds as a thin sheet for a moment. Some spotted and thin lace throughout the glass. A glowing raspberry in color.

Very complex alcohol-induced aromas. A touch of vinegar with a strong tartness: sour grape, apple, and even raspberry. Very vinous and strong alcohol presence.

This flanders is tart from beginning to end, but not overpowering. A touch of vinegar, mustard seed, and horseradish add to the green apple, raspberry, lime, and sour grape flavors. The alcohol presence is evident from the aroma until the end of the sip. I wouldn't characterize the alcohol as warming nor abrasive, but just very present. The aftertaste is a sour with a hint of the mustard seed spice.

Medium bodied; slick and somewhat vinous on the palate. The mouthfeel is very indicative of this version's complex flavors.

This flanders is a real treat especially on tap. For an ale that is only 6.2% abv, the alcohol is noticeable at every turn, making this one a tough choice for a session beer. I don't think I could drink more than one of these per sitting due to the onslaught of flavors this has on my tastebuds.

06-05-2005 14:51:57 | More by NEhophead
twelvsies

Maine

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a beautiful ruby-red, cranberry juice color, with a small bubbly head, fading fast. Smell is quite intense to say the least. The first thing that comes to mind is a grapey wine character, with an almost gueuze-like tang, finally finished up with a permanent marker smell. Wow. Much more subtle in the taste than in the nose. All that harshness calms down and gives way to a well rounded and complex ale. Ok, wow, again... this is really unlike anything I've had before, so it's tough to describe these tastes. There's a definate fruity quality there; plums, blackberries, grape jelly, etc... really a complex character. I'm having a hard time detecting any hops or malt in this beer, yet while it shares that quality with a lambic, this still seems more like a beer to me. Sweet juicy notes with a bit of a sour kick, though to be honest, from the smell, and from other reviews and the style description I was expecting a little more pucker. I was surprised by the slight funkiness in the finish, like a stinky cheese, a nice unexpected bonus. Interesting mouthfeel too; it seems to change from bubbly and carbonated when it first hits the mouth to a slighty syrupy yet super-smooth finish. Illusion? I have no idea, but it's great. I could drink this beer anytime, and could never get bored of it. So many nooks and crannies to discover in this beer. Go get it. Cheers to the Duchesse!

06-02-2005 01:46:31 | More by twelvsies
Cwrw

Alberta (Canada)

A quaint little 250ml bottle, with a dark label of Renaissance/mediaeval appearance. BB: 11-02-06. Purchased in Brussels September 2004, so it has been aged a little in the bottle. The head was not large in my chalice glass, but seemed to fizz with large bubbles gripping the sides of the glass, whilst the centre of the beer's head was patchy. Later, swirling it steadily in the glass, the head gets better, and thicker. Nevertheless light brown walls of lacing stuck nicely. The beer's colour is a rich garnet, deep red, almost like some red wines, but with much more depth and richness. It is an impenetrable black cherry/rose brown, and quite delicious looking. The aroma surprised me exceedingly--I was expecting some wine notes, but the tannic acidity made me stop a second and remember that this is a beer. Incredible. I detected a little sourness in the aroma, but mostly the red wine and sugary malt. Other hints of oaky muskiness, yeast, raspberries, black cherries and a smell I cannot quite place, whether particular to Belgian Red Ales or not I do not know, as it is my first try of this style. I have to say it is akin to sharp blue cheese, or old cheddar. I also detect some celery salt and seasoning salt, balsamic vinegar, black currant and port. Very complex, I could sniff the aroma all day. The malt smells aged, similar to the smell of a beer glass not washed for a couple of days. The taste is immediate sourness, sharp and bold. Tart does not quite describe it. Sour-soother candies. After that hit come some candied apple, oak, iron, must, tannins, and at the very end the candy malt really balances out with the yeast for a surprisingly drinkable finish. The taste reminded me a little of a lambic faro. The aftertaste is fresh malt, a dash of dryness, and the everpresent sourness starts to fade into a pleasant candied cherry flavour. For all its flavour the taste is not overly complex, the acidity and sharp bite of sourness really dominate, and the oak and yeast only play a background role to that. Still, this is a remarkably different treat; a nice change from the ordinary. The body is medium, and the taste lingers for quite some time on the palate. Some would find this far too sour, but I find the sugary tartness delicious. This has to be tried at least once by all beer-lovers, (and wine lovers).

05-31-2005 07:13:44 | More by Cwrw
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From notes. I enjoyed this brew a few times at the Blind Pig in Champaign, IL. It poured a deep ruby color with a finger of head that fell to a healthy coat over the beer. The nose was beautiful, with a slight sour cherry balanced with a slight sweet cherry over top of a woody, almost tanniny, character. The flavor gave me an initial sourness that moved to a sour cherry that was slightly creamy. I really liked it. The feel was moderate wtih a moderate carb. I felt the sum of the beer was better than its parts. Very smooth and super-easy to drink. I could have enjoyed it all night.

05-25-2005 02:21:37 | More by kmpitz2
blitz134

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

I had the pleasure of first having this on tap at the Brickstore in Atlanta. I'd never had a "flemish sour" as it was labeled and gave it a shot. I'm certainly glad I did as this has quickly became a favorite style to me and opened my eyes up to the world of sour beers.

This beer pours a lovely crimson, garnet red clear body with an initial tall 2 finger head which reduced down to a fairly thick half inch. The smell to me is amazing and one I have never found in any other beer. Its all about the balsamic vinegar, which I personally really like. Additionally there is a good dose of grape and other fruit aromas which remind me of a dark red wine.

The taste is of slight vinegar with a body of sour grape juice along with tart cherries. Its quite juicy and sweet on the tongue and finishes a bit sour, but not overpowering. When I had this on tap everyone who tasted it all agreed it was very interesting. This one sits a bit warm on my stomach although it isn't a high ABV brew.

Mouthfeel is a touch thin but coats the mouth well. Drinkability is good as well but it plays with my stomach a bit. I find this so tasty though that I can deal with that.

Overall, this beer (and the style in general) has an amazing flavor that everyone must try at least once. This is just one more example of the breadth of the capability of the beer world.

05-23-2005 02:43:26 | More by blitz134
AlexJ

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

This lovely lady pours into my Delirium tulip a deep garnet hued brown with a medium sized head of off white that quickly fizzles out leaving light lacey streaking as it goes.

The aromas are intense, brimming with tart cherries, oakey dryness, musty cider, green apples, and celler must.

The flavor is really quite incredible, a blend of sweet and sour cherry, oak, earth, vinegarry apple cider, sugary sweet and dryly tart at the same time. Each sip makes me go mmmm.

The body is quite large, silky smooth and lightly carbonated. The mouthfeel is lush and sweet and really coats your palate with beautiful, funky, sweet and sour flavors. Too bad it's so expensive cuz I could drink this every day. We shared this bottle and paired it with soft Borgogneian cheese of the same region. It was a match made in heaven, thanks Gabe!

05-15-2005 16:26:02 | More by AlexJ
Boilermaker88

3.9/5  rDev -6%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a flute. Bottle had a best before date of 08.06.06 on the back of the label.
Appearance: dark chestnut brown color streaked with maroon highlights and topped by a bubbly yet durable off-white head. Minimal carbonation seen yet the head endured and left nice lace behind.
Smell: sweet-and-sour aroma with hints of cherry and oak. Soft caramel and touch of funk. Some vinegary notes, too. Interesting, but not as potent as expected.
Taste: puckery vinegar taste right up front vied for attention with a sweet/tart fruitiness. My guess was a bit of cherry but I couldn't quite place the fruit. Caramel and slight earthiness contrasted with the sour bite. Oak flavor undertones. Sharply acidic finish.
Feel: medium body, lively.
Overall: an interesting contrast of sweetness versus tart acidity and biting sourness. Nicely done.

05-09-2005 18:43:27 | More by Boilermaker88
pentathlete

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured into a flute. Beauty ruby brown with large head. Nose is all tart and cherries. Taste is cherry fruit with some sour notes. Pleasant, but rather tame. I expected more sour bite. Too much sweetness, almost candy like flavors. Perhaps my palate was spent, but I was not altogether thrilled. Not a bad beer, but nothing special.

05-07-2005 02:50:17 | More by pentathlete
mntlover

Tennessee

Pours a wonderful deep red with a tan head that is made up of small bubbles bursting everywhere trying to escape.

Aroma is tart, vinegar mixed with fruit prodominatly sour cherries musty wood notes underneath. Taste is tart lightly sour tastes wine like almost, vinegar and hints of vanilla mix with tart cherries. Finishes with earthy wood flavors lightly dry. A very complex and different style beer. Have sampled before with a friend but my first attempt at reviewing a Flanders Red. Think my pallette is not mature enough to appreciate the flavors coming thru.

Mouthfeel is light crisp springy almost and at the same time it finishes a dry medium. Drinkability is good a very diffrent beer but change is good atleast as far as beer is concerned. Look forward to trying more of this style in the future.

05-03-2005 20:23:22 | More by mntlover
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a clear brown with hints of mahogany. A persistent and dense ivory head with nice fine lace. Smells sour, a bit vinegary (but in a good way). Vinuous and oaky nose.

I have heard this beer described as one of great depth but i'll be damned if I can find it. It's tart, like tart cherries. Then gets quite winelike and hints of oak but is overwhelmed by a cloying sweetness that overwhelms the palate and disappointingly chases all the sourness away. Very sticky mouth with a lingering tartness but no sour driness to speak of, the kind of thing I like in a Flemish Red. Because of the sweetness not too drinkable either. Not bad but not great. I have the rest of a four pack to let this one change my mind.

05-02-2005 01:38:23 | More by ViveLaChouffe
asabreed

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I had this beer last week on tap, and I realized I could get a 4-pack, and then decided that clearly, after flipping about the beer on tap, that I should certainly do so.

Appearance: Gorgeous dirty white head, meaning the reddish color is putting it off on that degree a bit, and in a good way. A nice amount of bubbles flowing up from the bottom.

Smell: Red wine, vinegar, some tart apples and fruit -- maybe granny smith apples. Almost some sour apple candy type smells. Fantastic.

Taste: Sweetness up front, and a slight amount of tartness. Fruitiness and apples, cherries, raspberries. Some sugars. Just wonderful overall. The wine / vinegar quality is there, yes, but the balance is amazing and fools and teases your taste buds into only good things.

Mouthfeel: A great balance with carbonation and the tartness that sneaks through into the taste. Not creamy, really, but not really light. It almost starts out like a spritzer and then somehow fills into a gorgeous dance of balance, complexity, and taste. And this is just the mouthfeel...

Drinkability: Easily one of my new favorite beers. I need more beers in this style I imagine. The wine-like character may turn some people on, though some, on the other hand, may be completely turned off. However, the ABV is moderately low, but I personally think this should be a treat, and especially without food. There's so much beauty going on that no compliments are needed.

Please try this in some form, just to try a pretty different style at the very least. I can't wait to get more.

04-30-2005 05:37:27 | More by asabreed
3Vandoo

Quebec (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

A nice looking beer that is dark amber in color, the head only showed his head out of the window to wave "hello" and quicly let a shadow of her image on the beer.

Some cherry aromas comes from that beer, a sourness, and an oaked flavours emerges from it.

As for the taste, the same as the above mentionned occurs, cherry flavours, the oaked taste with some spices come play in the mouth. A light alcohol taste comes to play indeed but just lighty, it is quite odd especially with the cherry taste.

I was impressed with that beer, me like!

04-29-2005 05:00:31 | More by 3Vandoo
blitheringidiot

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Label has a lady with a bird(?!) "Flemish art of brewing, Best before 2/11/04, 6.2% ABV 47-53 degrees, 8 and 18 month old mix." Let's see...anything else? Nope.

Poured into Broyhan goblet, this Flanders Red is a dark, ruby russett with some suspended yeasties floating around under excellent head retention that is PAINTED to the side of the glass.

Spicey sour aroma. Estery, musty antique trunk and root beer nose and a pinch of Wrigley's Doublemint gum. It rarely gets better than this.

Fisrt swigs: Gentle sour 7-Up pucker, dark fruit and Granny Smith apples, cherries, and a cider malty backbone keeps this from becoming overly sour. Vegetable and pickled beets lettuce leaf vegetal finish.

Lots of carbonation and medium feel, with an enjoyable carbonation.

Last swigs: Complex sour Cherry y-Up for adults sipper. A true Flemish sour. Best before 2/2004 eh? Hmmm...quite craveable. Special thanks to BA Shapudding for the tasting.

Beer is good. Happy interesting beering.

04-28-2005 18:09:50 | More by blitheringidiot
silver0rlead

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

WOW, definately the most unique beer i've ever tried (this is the first flanders red i've tried) but its definately a kick in the pants. Pours with a thick white head and a deep amber almost ruby red color with excellent lacing down the glass. The smell is definately unlike any beer i've ever tried, very vinegary and also red wine like with a hint of oak and a fruity belgian yeast smell. The taste is incredible, worlds away from any beer i've ever tried...i never knew beer could taste like the this. The taste begins with a sour cherry tart flavor, followed by a biscuit-like malt taste and finishes with a winey, oaky dryness that lingers on the tongue as well as a warming alcohol sensation. The mouthfeel is smooth with a crisp carbonation that settles as it warms. The drinkablilty is ok but this is very complex and unique so more than a couple wouldnt be so good. Overall a fantastically unique and unbelievably complex brew that my palate cant really grasp fully. A great beer.

04-27-2005 04:34:35 | More by silver0rlead
guinnessman

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

a vinigar aroma, raisons, and a fruity like smell. a 3/4 in. bubly head, like champaign, that disipates guickely. a ruby red hue. very complex, I note chocolate, raspberries, banana. a nice mouthfeel, not coating, very smooth many flavors come at once, the finish is fruity and a bit tart. Not something I would drink on a regular basis, but for those people, like myself, who find labic to be to tart, this is a great alternative. A very enjoyable brew.

04-24-2005 23:26:30 | More by guinnessman