Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
horshack7

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: Poured into a tulip is a very dark mahogany brown with red hues around the edges. As a crown there is a solidly thick beige head.

Aroma: In the front is a little bit of a red wine aroma with a touch of woodiness. Apple, sour cherries, way in the back is a nuttiness.

Taste: Soft carbonation, woodiness with notes of apple skin and sour cherries. There is quite the solid sour bite. The finish is nicely dry with twinge of pecan in the end.

Notes: What dam tasty beer I am glad I bought this one and will buy it again. Cheers.

12-18-2011 22:08:51 | More by horshack7
nitter

07-23-2012 22:04:14 | More by nitter
ZenAgnostic

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

1 pint 9.4oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Cork printed Exp 6/2012.

Appearance - Foggy but with no particulate matter. Dark brown with a hint of amber. Thick, fine cream head.

Smell - Gueuze sourness. Slight abbey ale body, dark overripe fruit and noticeable alcohol.

Taste - Complex. Balanced. Slight to moderately sour body. sweet acidity keeps it from going to far in that direction. With a bit of alcohol in the finish. Leaves a vinous aftertaste, but not unpleasant.

Mouthfeel - Light texture and crisp due to the light, frothy carbonation. Almost like a lambic or champagne. Medium-full body.

Overall Drinkability - This is my first from this style, so I was careful with the ratings to leave room for the possibility of a better beer in style. After trying a few more, I'll come back and rate this one, but as a beer I'd give it all 5's.

07-17-2011 05:09:52 | More by ZenAgnostic

Elfastball7

11-15-2011 00:02:12 | More by Elfastball7
eat

Quebec (Canada)

Flanders Red Ale...I have no idea what this is supposed to taste like, but it looks like this is a good one to start with. I can only review this as a beer in general since I have nothing to compare it to. Best before 10-09-11 and consumed 18-04-10; lots of time left.

Pours with a beige head which fades down to a nice blanket, sticking around with not much lacing. Great colour: dark ruby-copper, or when held up to the light, a reddish-amber. The beer is transparent against light but the dark colour makes it appear to be opaque.

Pretty big complex smell. I've definitely never encountered a profile like this before. Oddly enough, the only thing I can compare it to is some six-year old La Terrible I just tried a couple days ago, but it's even quite different from that. Pumpernickel, red wine vinegar, yeast, a hint of something chocolaty, walnuts, prunes, alcohol. Slightly funky even. I'm into it but it's very different. My girlfriend claims it smells like "horse pee-pee" but I wouldn't know, not having smelled horse's urine before.

Wow. I have no idea what to make of this, it's barely reminiscent of beer at all compared to styles I've tried. That said though, it's pretty delicious. It tastes like some kind of complex, fruity cocktail but with a beer mouthfeel. Tons of different flavours combine to produce quite a pleasant brew: prune juice, grape must, red wine vinegar, apple cider, sour raspberry, light chocolate, wheat. Very complex and interesting. I wouldn't necessarily have expected this, but my girlfriend says it's the best beer she's ever tasted, even going so far as to want to buy some more for herself. This is saying a lot as she pretty much doesn't drink, period. I can kind of see why actually; it's really fruity and doesn't taste at all like your standard beer. It's kind of like the girly cocktail version of beer (in a good way). There are similarities to lambic, but I find the Duchesse to be much more complex than the Cantillon Gueuze I tried recently. Pretty sweet but balanced with a drying bitterness on the finish that seems to come out of nowhere. Aftertaste of wine grapes. I'm almost wanting to give this a 4.5 but really still don't know what to make of it.

The feel is pretty good. Light-medium mouthfeel and a light but effervescent carbonation. I can't figure out what's causing it, but it leaves your tongue with a dry, tingling feeling. The dryness even extends down the throat.

I'm really enjoying this beer but it's hitting me a little like a lambic: a bit too sour to session. I feel like two of these might leave my stomach feeling like I just ate a few too many Cherry Blasters. I am enjoying this more than the Cantillon, however. I would definitely drink this again though and would be very interested to try other beers in the style.

04-18-2010 04:39:13 | More by eat
archero

10-22-2012 03:14:00 | More by archero
seand

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Pours a brown-red amber, with a finger or so of off white head, with very good retention and lacing. Almost cola-like, with a better head.

S: Strong molasses and dark fruit.

T: Quite fruity, slightly sour, different.

M: Lots of carbonation, medium to full bodied.

D: Not too bad given the sourness.

11-23-2009 02:27:28 | More by seand
Mikexw

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

04-08-2014 03:21:54 | More by Mikexw
waughbrew

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

What a beautiful beer in a style that is currently far too rare!

Very nice deep red/light brown with some blackness. Small off-white head stays a bit as lace but mostly as a small ring around the beer. Great up-front sourness in the aroma with vinegar. Bright and alive, an earthiness with acidity. Flavor is very well-balanced. The malt flavors come out as it warms. Light and crisp, wonderful bubbles. Very drinkable - I could have a few.

01-27-2004 02:04:26 | More by waughbrew

12-12-2012 06:56:24 | More by KimenTshom
GreenWBush

Oregon

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

Blood red in the glass with dark brown highlights. A modest head.

Slightly vinegary on the nose with hints of cherries and sour apple. Oak characteristics appear later.

The taste of this beer is understandably devisive. Sour, funky, and amazingly champaign-like in alot of ways. Sourness builds up in the bottom of the palate in a strangely addictive way. Oak is strong by the end.

A tasty detour from my usual...

10-29-2005 19:49:15 | More by GreenWBush
JeffreyJDavis

05-06-2012 17:14:07 | More by JeffreyJDavis
msondel

11-03-2012 01:46:31 | More by msondel
nhindian

2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

11.2oz bottle poured into a Cantillon wine glass.

A - Pours a deep cherry red, almost perfectly clear and extremely pretty. The hue and darkness brimming around it makes the parts which are that mahogany look even more vibrant. About 2 fingers of tan head, with great retention as well. The lacing is weakest part of an otherwise spectacular-looking beer, with it being sticky, but to the beer instead of the glass. It does loosen up as it is drunk, however.

S - Unlike past Red Flanders I've encountered, this beer isn't too focused on the tart or the funk, but rather embraces a more full-bodied aroma. It does bring the slight sour, but it's more of a binding agent rather than jumping out and overwhelming the beer. Surprisingly, a good amount of caramel malt comes through, as well as some vinegar. Not incredibly complex, but certainly whets the palate.

T - Whereas the nose and appearance built this beer up, the taste just does not do it for me at all. Again, the tartness is almost a complete afterthought after a few seconds as it is thrown to the wayside in lieu of a big wave of vinegar. This persists throughout the beer, unfortunately, only stopping momentarily to bring in quick jolts of cherries and grapes. The finish, however, is a complete turn-off. It is somewhat vegetal and saccharine, almost as if there's just too much sugar or sweetener in it (although I am pretty sure nothing in this beer is artificial). Moreover, the blend of all the flavors and the vinegar leaves the finish eerily tasting similar to ketchup in a strange way.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with decent carbonation. Not the most lively beer, but I'm not expecting that given the strict aging requirements of this beer before bottling. Long lasting finish of tart cherries, vinegar, and Heinz 57.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately low. I'm disappointed that after the relatively strong first impressions, this beer just falls off quick for me. Way too much vinegar, not enough tartness, and the vegetal notes in the finish are brutal. I had this at a bar tasting about a year ago, and it was my first sour. I thought it was pretty decent then, but it was just a small sample, and I guess my palate has developed a taste for different types of sours since then...

09-08-2011 05:33:00 | More by nhindian

heytomcat

12-27-2013 02:51:54 | More by heytomcat
RaulMondesi

3.81/5  rDev -8.4%

Raulsky was pumped. Sat down at da joint - Hopscotch, in Downtown Fullerton, and all the fly honey's were at his table. One, two, three, and to the four; 5 honey's vs 3 dudes? Yep! Here goes Raul!

Pumped up like Kobe during a visit to Colorado pre thang thang. Ordered the Duchess and was ready to go. Hints of vinegar, but at the same time something good was going on. Sipped it, n yeah: just straight solid.

I wouldn't pop it for my lil soldierettes quinceañera, but just to get freaky, yep!

01-16-2013 10:23:24 | More by RaulMondesi
tlazaroff

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

A: This pours a very deep deep and ultra clear burgundy red. It's head is a slight off-white color. This beer is breathtaking to look at.

S: As I opened and poured the beer a huge almost cherry-like aroma almost over-took me. Upon closer inspection I was able to confirm this. There are many different dark fruits on the nose, but cherry takes the cake here. There is a noticeable sourness to the smell.

T: Huge sour cherry notes here in a background of light plum. The sourness is there, but not extreme and not subtle either. This beer tastes perfect and it is quite a religious experience.

M: This is so smooth, with low carbonation and a nice medium body. The sourness doesn't detract from the mouthfeel either.

D: To me, this has such low drinkability because I want to enjoy it. That said, it's extremely drinkable.

07-18-2011 00:33:56 | More by tlazaroff
dherling

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured out a dark reddish brown with a minimal head that drops quickly. The nose is sour, even vinegary. There are also some nice notes of fruit and mustiness. I pick up some faint spice and sweetness lingering as well. The taste uncovers the sweet and extremely fruity notes from the nose. The body is amazingly sour grape juice, with a subdued bitterness that really works. Totally different than the nose, a nice surprise. Medium bodied, with good carbonation. The finish is pretty dry, like white wine.

11-17-2006 01:48:34 | More by dherling
madtowndmb1

Wisconsin

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

A: pours a deep redish brown color.

S: I get a lot of molasses and some vinegar like others.

T: Tart fruit, and carbonation, not a ton of vinegar acid

M: Carbonation, thin, actually the best part of this beer to me.

D: It's good to try, but not sure if I'd do a ton ton of them. Once a year beer. Too tart for me.

11-25-2008 01:57:12 | More by madtowndmb1