Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

4.13/5  rDev -1%

A beautiful deep ruby red color with a bubbly tan head that leaves ample lacing upon the glass as it fades. Nice looking beer as it sits in my Maudite tulip glass.

Just an awesome red wine and malt vinegar aroma, with subtle herb and spice notes. Not lost is the mildly sweet and slightly roasty malt backing. Folks this is one of those beers I could smell all day long. It's already been 10 minutes and I have not taken a sip yet.

The taste is pleasantly tart, Still a sweet presence in the back, but sour cherries and red wine vinaigrette take charge. Interesting and really a nice balance of sweet and sour. I like this Flanders Red.

Initially feels thin but the smooth maltiness is evident and it comes across as meaningful in the mouth. Drinkable...? I drank this one didn't I? Yes this goes beyond just a sipper and if I had one I'd consider following with another.

All around a great beer.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Very excited to see this on tap at House of 1000 Beers in New Kensington, PA.

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Dark reddish-brown, kind of burgundy, with deep plum highlights & a finger of khaki, loose head. Great color, big crown of lacing.

Smells of balsamic vinegar, tart, dark cherries, vanilla, green apple, a little leather, a little sawdust. Very complex & nicely integrated.

Taste follows aroma very closely, with some amplified acidity & more pronounced cherry & apple, wrapped up well. Wish I could say more, but it's pretty much already been said.

Full-bodied, smooth, a little viscous but with that moderate acidic bite. Very engaging.

This is one great beer. Flavorful, complex, but doesn't overwhelm or knock you out. That said, two is probably my limit. Maybe I had expectation bias, but I went in prepared to love this & I loved it, so there you go.

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

i really love this one. nice reddish brown color with an off white head that shrinks down but never goes away. nice lace as well. smells of some fruit like plum, raspberry, cherry and vinegar as well. also some sweet sugary smell. tastes like a mix of all three fruits with a raw sugary sweetness and has an incredible sour kick. not too sour, just remarkable in my opinion. mouthfeel is soft and silky with a great carbonation that gives the drink some legs as it goes down. a real pleasure of a drink.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Exp. Date is 3/2013, still 18 months out.

Pours a brown/red color w/ a nice one finger cocoa head. Amazing carbonation and lacing. Lacing sticks around forever, and would probably be on my glass tomorrow if I didn't wash it. Beautiful red highlights when held up to the light, although you can't see through it at all. Nose is cherry, yeast, sourness, funk, and some vinegar. Very nice balance on the nose- and nothing's overwhelming. Taste is amazingly smooth for what I was expecting. There is some sourness, cherry, funk, but there's also a malt smoothness to it that offsets the others a little bit. Really nice feel as well. Overall, this is a great beer. It's a good intro beer for sours, and this style as well. I would definitely have this again. Cheers.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

poured from a 12 oz bottle into pint glass
A - dark pour, looks a little reddish when held up to the light
S - all i can really smell is the vinegar
T - fucking amazing, green apple, lemon, little viniagrette taste, with a delicious green apple finish
M - a little puckery, nothing too extreme
O - very good beer, my first sour, highly enjoyable

4.63/5  rDev +11%

I'm extremely new to sour beers, having only tried them for the first time a couple of months ago, but I really love the few that I've had.

This pours a deep brown, there are hints of red but I wouldn't have known its a red ale otherwise. The head is a finger width and light brown, it quickly fades away but leaves a nice lace. This smells a little sour, woody and slightly unusual, hard to describe. Nice mouth feel, it gets very carbonated if I gently move it around on my tongue, I can feel the tartness. The taste is a little tart / sour at first but on the way down it seems to sweeten up quite a bit, this is definitely a unique flavor for beer, but I really like it. It kind of reminds me of shock tart candies I used to love as a child, this my second bottle to try and the aftertaste sweetness is more than I remembered. Overall this is a great beer and very well could be one of my favorites.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

750ml cork and cage bottle served in a DFH signature glass. Cork shows an expiration date of 7/2015.

Appearance: Pours a dark red brown color with 1+ finger of a tan head that yields good retention and lacing. When held to light, body is clear with a dark amber color. Lots of visible carbonation.

Smell: Balsamic vinegar, sour cherries, damp oak, some light caramel and red grape.

Taste: Starts with a surprising amount of sweetness on the tongue before some mild sourness starts to creep in and balance it out some. Flavors are sweet and sour cherry, vinegar, red apple, hints of brown bread and Belgian candi sugar.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, soft mouthfeel with medium carbonation. No real alcohol presence.

Overall: Great in all other aspects, but a bit of a letdown in the taste. There's some nice complexity there, but the sweetness is a bit distracting. If the sweetness were turned down and the sourness/acidity turned up a bit, this would be excellent. It's worth a try if you haven't had it, but if you're looking for a regular Flanders Red fix, just stick to Rodenbach Grand Cru

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

WOW, definately the most unique beer i've ever tried (this is the first flanders red i've tried) but its definately a kick in the pants. Pours with a thick white head and a deep amber almost ruby red color with excellent lacing down the glass. The smell is definately unlike any beer i've ever tried, very vinegary and also red wine like with a hint of oak and a fruity belgian yeast smell. The taste is incredible, worlds away from any beer i've ever tried...i never knew beer could taste like the this. The taste begins with a sour cherry tart flavor, followed by a biscuit-like malt taste and finishes with a winey, oaky dryness that lingers on the tongue as well as a warming alcohol sensation. The mouthfeel is smooth with a crisp carbonation that settles as it warms. The drinkablilty is ok but this is very complex and unique so more than a couple wouldnt be so good. Overall a fantastically unique and unbelievably complex brew that my palate cant really grasp fully. A great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

This is my first Flanders Red, and I think I have a winner as my first. Reddish -brown with a giant fluffy off-white head. The smell is over-ripe apples. Tart but sweet.
Taste is more of the same. Tart and sweet.
Feel is very light and dry.
A very tasty beer and I'd imagine a good example of the style. Price is a little much but it could be nice treat every once in a while.

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Raulsky was pumped. Sat down at da joint - Hopscotch, in Downtown Fullerton, and all the fly honey's were at his table. One, two, three, and to the four; 5 honey's vs 3 dudes? Yep! Here goes Raul!

Pumped up like Kobe during a visit to Colorado pre thang thang. Ordered the Duchess and was ready to go. Hints of vinegar, but at the same time something good was going on. Sipped it, n yeah: just straight solid.

I wouldn't pop it for my lil soldierettes quinceañera, but just to get freaky, yep!

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe