Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros

dipso123, Yesterday at 05:43 PM

yeaprolly, Jun 13, 2014

judkinst, Aug 01, 2013

Elfastball7, Nov 15, 2011

Flanders Red Ale...I have no idea what this is supposed to taste like, but it looks like this is a good one to start with. I can only review this as a beer in general since I have nothing to compare it to. Best before 10-09-11 and consumed 18-04-10; lots of time left.

Pours with a beige head which fades down to a nice blanket, sticking around with not much lacing. Great colour: dark ruby-copper, or when held up to the light, a reddish-amber. The beer is transparent against light but the dark colour makes it appear to be opaque.

Pretty big complex smell. I've definitely never encountered a profile like this before. Oddly enough, the only thing I can compare it to is some six-year old La Terrible I just tried a couple days ago, but it's even quite different from that. Pumpernickel, red wine vinegar, yeast, a hint of something chocolaty, walnuts, prunes, alcohol. Slightly funky even. I'm into it but it's very different. My girlfriend claims it smells like "horse pee-pee" but I wouldn't know, not having smelled horse's urine before.

Wow. I have no idea what to make of this, it's barely reminiscent of beer at all compared to styles I've tried. That said though, it's pretty delicious. It tastes like some kind of complex, fruity cocktail but with a beer mouthfeel. Tons of different flavours combine to produce quite a pleasant brew: prune juice, grape must, red wine vinegar, apple cider, sour raspberry, light chocolate, wheat. Very complex and interesting. I wouldn't necessarily have expected this, but my girlfriend says it's the best beer she's ever tasted, even going so far as to want to buy some more for herself. This is saying a lot as she pretty much doesn't drink, period. I can kind of see why actually; it's really fruity and doesn't taste at all like your standard beer. It's kind of like the girly cocktail version of beer (in a good way). There are similarities to lambic, but I find the Duchesse to be much more complex than the Cantillon Gueuze I tried recently. Pretty sweet but balanced with a drying bitterness on the finish that seems to come out of nowhere. Aftertaste of wine grapes. I'm almost wanting to give this a 4.5 but really still don't know what to make of it.

The feel is pretty good. Light-medium mouthfeel and a light but effervescent carbonation. I can't figure out what's causing it, but it leaves your tongue with a dry, tingling feeling. The dryness even extends down the throat.

I'm really enjoying this beer but it's hitting me a little like a lambic: a bit too sour to session. I feel like two of these might leave my stomach feeling like I just ate a few too many Cherry Blasters. I am enjoying this more than the Cantillon, however. I would definitely drink this again though and would be very interested to try other beers in the style.

eat, Apr 18, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

This delightful Flanders Red Ale was served on tap on 11/11/11 at Beer Geeks in Highland, IN. It was my third beverage on the evening, but by far the best.

Radiating a deep brown-amber hue, the ale was served in flute glass with an inch head. A fruity-sour aroma tickled the nose without much effort. The aroma was quite potent. As with most good sour ales, the taste was potent. A sour fruitness was the immediate impression; this included hints of tart cranberry and raspberry. The sensations continued into the tart and fruity aftertaste. The carbonation was a little more aggressive than I would have expected, but this did not subtract from the experience. Duchesse is a delicious and refreshing experience.

JohnnyHopps, Nov 13, 2011

ZethOfTheNorth, Nov 08, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A Very dark reddish, min head, great lacing.
S some pretty wild fruity, mushroom, oaky smokey goodness
T very sweet tropical citrus fruit upfront but mellows to a more carmelly grapefruit end
M very delicious and easily drinkable, great even carbonation and a fruity caramel aftertaste
O very enjoyable and complex. Flavors swirl and emerge and play around on tongue and cheeks. Had on tap in a squat tulip glass at OSDH in a presidents day special for FDR.

tubeyes, Feb 19, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

What a beautiful beer in a style that is currently far too rare!

Very nice deep red/light brown with some blackness. Small off-white head stays a bit as lace but mostly as a small ring around the beer. Great up-front sourness in the aroma with vinegar. Bright and alive, an earthiness with acidity. Flavor is very well-balanced. The malt flavors come out as it warms. Light and crisp, wonderful bubbles. Very drinkable - I could have a few.

waughbrew, Jan 27, 2004
3.55/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a deep redish brown color.

S: I get a lot of molasses and some vinegar like others.

T: Tart fruit, and carbonation, not a ton of vinegar acid

M: Carbonation, thin, actually the best part of this beer to me.

D: It's good to try, but not sure if I'd do a ton ton of them. Once a year beer. Too tart for me.

madtowndmb1, Nov 25, 2008

brauseboof, Nov 21, 2012

Mack, May 04, 2014

allenson21, Aug 26, 2013
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into my Duchesse De Bourgogne glass. Bottle marked "best before 19-09-07".

A: A dark reddish brown color with a thin and quickly receding light tan head. Lots of lacing.

S: Some wine-like aromas: sour & acidic berries with some malt as well.

T: Slightly sweet and rather tart cherries come across in the flavor. It is smooth at first with the sour tartness dominating the aftertaste. A bit mouth puckering in the end. There are also some malt flavors evident that seem to come and go. There's really a lot going on with the flavors in this beer.

M: Light and fine carbonation, medium mouthfeel and slightly syrupy.

D: It's and easy drinking beer, one that would pair well with food. Definitely one of the more unique beers that I've ever had. A testament to the range and complexity that beers can achieve.

willjschmidt, May 16, 2007

JeffreyJDavis, May 06, 2012

jwswigs, Jan 23, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Blood red in the glass with dark brown highlights. A modest head.

Slightly vinegary on the nose with hints of cherries and sour apple. Oak characteristics appear later.

The taste of this beer is understandably devisive. Sour, funky, and amazingly champaign-like in alot of ways. Sourness builds up in the bottom of the palate in a strangely addictive way. Oak is strong by the end.

A tasty detour from my usual...

GreenWBush, Oct 29, 2005

ChicagoNick, May 20, 2014

mythaeus, Aug 21, 2013
2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

11.2oz bottle poured into a Cantillon wine glass.

A - Pours a deep cherry red, almost perfectly clear and extremely pretty. The hue and darkness brimming around it makes the parts which are that mahogany look even more vibrant. About 2 fingers of tan head, with great retention as well. The lacing is weakest part of an otherwise spectacular-looking beer, with it being sticky, but to the beer instead of the glass. It does loosen up as it is drunk, however.

S - Unlike past Red Flanders I've encountered, this beer isn't too focused on the tart or the funk, but rather embraces a more full-bodied aroma. It does bring the slight sour, but it's more of a binding agent rather than jumping out and overwhelming the beer. Surprisingly, a good amount of caramel malt comes through, as well as some vinegar. Not incredibly complex, but certainly whets the palate.

T - Whereas the nose and appearance built this beer up, the taste just does not do it for me at all. Again, the tartness is almost a complete afterthought after a few seconds as it is thrown to the wayside in lieu of a big wave of vinegar. This persists throughout the beer, unfortunately, only stopping momentarily to bring in quick jolts of cherries and grapes. The finish, however, is a complete turn-off. It is somewhat vegetal and saccharine, almost as if there's just too much sugar or sweetener in it (although I am pretty sure nothing in this beer is artificial). Moreover, the blend of all the flavors and the vinegar leaves the finish eerily tasting similar to ketchup in a strange way.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with decent carbonation. Not the most lively beer, but I'm not expecting that given the strict aging requirements of this beer before bottling. Long lasting finish of tart cherries, vinegar, and Heinz 57.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately low. I'm disappointed that after the relatively strong first impressions, this beer just falls off quick for me. Way too much vinegar, not enough tartness, and the vegetal notes in the finish are brutal. I had this at a bar tasting about a year ago, and it was my first sour. I thought it was pretty decent then, but it was just a small sample, and I guess my palate has developed a taste for different types of sours since then...

nhindian, Sep 08, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

A: This pours a very deep deep and ultra clear burgundy red. It's head is a slight off-white color. This beer is breathtaking to look at.

S: As I opened and poured the beer a huge almost cherry-like aroma almost over-took me. Upon closer inspection I was able to confirm this. There are many different dark fruits on the nose, but cherry takes the cake here. There is a noticeable sourness to the smell.

T: Huge sour cherry notes here in a background of light plum. The sourness is there, but not extreme and not subtle either. This beer tastes perfect and it is quite a religious experience.

M: This is so smooth, with low carbonation and a nice medium body. The sourness doesn't detract from the mouthfeel either.

D: To me, this has such low drinkability because I want to enjoy it. That said, it's extremely drinkable.

tlazaroff, Jul 18, 2011