Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Ratings: 3,738 | Reviews: 1,463
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Tap at the Falling Rock. Poured a dark opaque brown with slight red tints, had no head by the time it got to me. Smelled sugary and fruity, mainly of raisins. Tasted more sweet then sour to me, mainly of cherries and raisins. It's not overly sour making it a great beer for those that need a good balance between sweet and sour in a sour brew. In all, a very likable beer.

3.62/5  rDev -13%

Poured from a 750ml bottle. Best by mar. 2013 poured a redish murky brown excess proteins contributed to a chill haze. Smell of abundant fruit such as apple pear currant and soft bready yeast. Tastaste is overwhelmingly cider like very unlike a lambic or other sour beers this is more of a sweet and kinda sour expierence. Mouthfeel was light yet a bit syrupy and carbonation was minimal and head was not around for more than 10 seconds. Overall it was a good example of the style but not my cup of beer and would probabaly not revisit. I will say though this is a grow on you type of flavor.

In bottle, served in wine glass. Appearance is slightly reddish with yeast clouding and effervescent head.

Nose is raspberry and yeast with clove and anise spice.
Mouthfeel is dry and champagne like. It literally disappears on the tongue, with rich malt and complex fruit and spice on the palate.

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Great starter sour. Not overly sour or bitter. Very light refreshing beer

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours dark crimson-brown color with light tan head that dissipates quickly. Slight sour, very fruity aroma. Wonderfully balanced flavor between sweet and sour. Mild sour flavors with slight candied sweetness. Excellent body. Seemed like a bigger beer. Loved it!

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer. Super juicy and sour.

Oh the dutchess... Shall I compare the to a summer's day? Seriously though, this beer is phenomenal. For one expecting a good sour ale this beer cannot be beat, though potentially tied. I got exactly what I expected and would not wish for this beer to change at all. I hope to be able to share this beer with my children, when they are old enough of course. (At least not until they hit double digits.) Thanks to all those Flemish folks for this amazing contribution to the world beer community.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

While this is one of the most idiosyncratic beers I've ever had, it's also definitely one of my absolute favorites. I got it in one of the big wine-type bottles (not sure what the exact measurement was) over the summer, and I've gone through at least 3 more since.

Appearance: Really nice deep reddish brown. Carbonation is apparent just by looking at it. Very foamy reddish head that sticks around pretty well with good lacing throughout.

Smell: Very strong fruity aroma with a kick of hopped, spicy beer. Really interesting and prepares you for the taste very well.

Taste: Absolutely delicious. It honestly doesn't taste a whole lot like a beer (at least not what is traditionally thought of as a beer taste), but it's really great so it's never bothered me. It tastes more like a combination of champagne and wine with very fruity notes. Very full-bodied and complex and finishes strong too.

Mouthfeel: Very heavily carbonated, which is why I drew the champagne comparison.

Overall: Even though this beer is honestly like nothing else I've ever had, it still remains one of my favorites. It's complex yet very easy to drink; full-bodied and fun. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to try something truly new.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

A: rich red and Brown in color.

S: Champangne like

T: Tart sourness but very smooth.

M: Nice crispy, bubbly with meium body.

D: Very drinkable.I could drink this all night.

Serving type: large corked bottle

My first Flanders Red. Not my last. This is inspiring me to brew my own Flanders. Very different, very wine like in both smaell and taste.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Sample brought to me from Belgium by my sister, bless her heart.

Lovely ruby red appearance with an effervescent head that settled down to stay,

Slightly cidery aroma.

Taste: wow. Just wow. This bad boy's got a tang. Cidery and tart, with a slightly creamy mouthfeel. The tang clears the flavor away off the back of the tongue, clearing the path for the next swallow.

A special occasion beer, to be sure. I don't think I could drink more than one of these a night, but I can see doing just that sitting by a roaring fire in January sometime.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured thick and dark redish brown body with a thick head. Tastes of sour grapes/cherries but sweet like that of good champagne with a sour tart finish the mouthfeel was that of thicker champagne decently carbonated flanders reds are an aquired taste not to my liking but i am trying to be as objective as possible an above average interpretation of this style

3.96/5  rDev -4.8%

25cl bottle poured into glass
Date on bottle: 06/10/2012

A: Pours red/dark brown. Moderate head retention, no lacing.

S: Funky. Like a weak vinegar. A bit on the unpleasant side.

T: Excellent balance of tartness and sweetness. Very flavoursome.

M: Medium feel and carbonation.

D: The 25cl bottles are far too small for this beer. Very drinkable.

i am no expert on this style of beer, but i would have to say that it kicks some serious ass!
i tried this beer a couple of years ago and was disgusted by it, now i dont know how i ever could have thought that. this is my favorite sour beer. im surprised the bros didnt rate it as world class.
awsome beer!
not for the faint hearted!

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

One of my favorite beers, finally sitting down to give this one a review.
Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Belgian goblet. Pours a dark red, crystal clear with a good amount of head, leaving lacing down the glass as it disipates. The smell is sweet, tangy and oh-so inviting. I once heard someone describe the aroma as fermented ketchup and bowling alley shoes, but it's pretty damn wonderful if you ask me. The taste is equally amazing. A bit of sweet malt paired with a delicious tang that I've come to crave over time. Despite it's sour elements, the beer finishes pretty clean, although there's certainly a bit of the liveliness that lingers behind. Honestly, I could drink this stuff all day. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea (or beer rather) but the duchess will always have a space reserved in my beer fridge. Definitely worth trying at least once, it might even change the world of beer for you forever.

So delicious. Drink it. Now. Or, later. Just drink it.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - ruby-copper red with a small tight lacy head.

Smell - complex, extremely interesting, light, fruity, clean

Taste - apples and fruit, intricate dance of flavors, tight crispness, and sweet tartness. What a wonderfully complex and interesting beer. I have to remind myself that this is actually beer that I'm drinking.

Mouthfeel - bubbly, crisp and syrupy. I'm salivating like Pavlov's dog's.

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

I am a big Belgian drinker so I had high hopes for his one.

Look is exceptional, nice 1 finger head, deep cherry wood color, I am getting excited.

smell is very complex, malt and I could detect rasin, oak lots of things going on here.

Taste is very complex, a bit almost too sweet, trappist yeast, interesting, but not the belgin I was expecting

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Had this one at home, from notes:

A: bright, shinny red, small white head, minor lacing
S: funk, hint of vinegar & cherries, hint of oak
T: very fruit, heavy on cherries, green apples, lemons, wood chips, mild tart, hint of funk, some wine qualities, incredible, especially how fruity this is (I could have sworn they put cherries in here) and how the sourness balances this
M: light, refreshing & dry
D: the drinkability is insane, it is almost impossible not to chug it down at once

This is an absolutely amazing beer, if you are even remotely interested in sours, you must get this one.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

upon a hard pour i'm left with a great thick light tan head that holds it's shape and size quite well over the couple of minutes i let the beer sit to warm it up a bit.

this is easily one of the best smelling beers i've ever encountered.. a sweet smokey scent that is so pleasant i wish i had an air-freshner that smelled like this.

nothing could have prepared me for what happened when this stuff hit my tongue. the initial flavor is one of sickly sweet fermented berries, which mellows out quickly leaving a slight molasses flavor that gets sweeter the longer you roll the beer around your tongue. from the carbonation level to the strong sweet overtones work really well here, where as normally (tasting within the style of beer) i'm not so sure i'd be happy if a beer was this sweet without it being a lambic ale of sorts.

i absolutely love the smell, and would definitely go for this again...

2.88/5  rDev -30.8%

My first sour, enjoyed before dinner with my wife and our friends. Poured into a tulip glass with a murky reddish-brown color. Lighting at Falls Taproom isn't great though. Head was white and substantial. Smells a bit musty, malty sweetness also, and a hint of vinegar. Overall light aroma, nothing overpowering. Flavor was initially sweet and sour, mostly sour and sort of a balsamic quality. This flavor, while pleasant, departed quickly and the aftertaste was musty. Sort of like a wet dog smell that lingers on the palate. I've experienced this in the past (most notably with Arrogant Bastard) and my guess is that certain hops disagree with me. Unfortunately the aftertaste is what lingered. Mouthfeel was a little sticky, but light. Overall impression was disappointing. I was looking forward to a mouth-puckering vinegar experience (I loves me some deli pickles) but the aftertaste overwhelmed the initial sour flavors. This was my first "sour" so I'll probably try it again. Geez though they're always so damn expensive!

3.92/5  rDev -5.8%

11.2oz into a pinot glass

Walnut stain to rootbeer soda in appearance. Little head with light lacing.

Aroma of apple cider mixed with rootbeer barrel candy.

Apple cider and a little reduction on the palate. Slightly medicinal.

Very viscous on the palate. Juicy at first leading to a dry after taste.

A little sweeter than what I prefer but works well with sharp cheese.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Wow, very cool beer, definitely unique and very delicious.

Pours a deep burnished red colour very dark with a small amount of head.

Smells of balsamic, cherries, soy and a bit of chocolate in the background. Wine like aromatics from the barrel aging are all over this and I love it.

On the palate the initial sour balsamic thing I was expecting was there but quickly gets overtaken by a rich cherry fruit and cocoa nib interplay. Surprisingly smooth rich finish.

Low carbonation and smooth is the best way to describe this delicious red ale, I would definitely recommend this, and could do very well as a dessert beer.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Reviewer mothmanscott, on Feb 05, 2015 said it best: "Pours a clear reddish to plum brown or ruby/garnet throughout when held to the light, producing 1.5 fingers of tan, finely bubbled foam, sometimes moderately lasting, sometimes shortlived head that recedes into a thin cap leaving a good coating of lace or sometimes no lace at all."

S: Sweet balsamic aroma with notes of ripe apples and cherries. On certain whiffs barnyard-like scents can be picked up. Smells very good over all.

T: The perfect combination of sweet and sour. Delectable sticky light malt aftertaste. Notes of fresh cherries and plums.

M: Puckering and tart. This one kicks you in the mouth. As the acidity dies down a very pleasant sticky and sweet mouthfeel develops.

O: As far as I am concerned, this is the holy-grail of sour ales. So enjoyable and interesting. I really like this beer, and would happily enjoy it over and over again. Definitely needs to be on your "to try" list!

4.41/5  rDev +6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Though I love my late-night after-work mini mart with it's good selection of single bottles, my luck at finding imports that haven't been staring at the UV lighting too long is about 50/50. I asked the clerk to fetch me a bottle of this one from the back side of the reach-in. At almost $0.50 per ounce, I wanted to improve my odds.

The dark tea-colored body was clear, the off-tan rocky crown short -lived, and the lacing minimal. But once I shoved my nose into the snifter, it didn't want to come out. I found a nuanced melange of tart fruit, rich chocolate, fig pudding, and sherry.

A few local brewers have been trying their hands at this style, but my first sip washed away all expectations for another "learn-to-like-it" vinegary concoction. This beer is all silk and satan. Tart cherries and granny smith apples wrapped in a softly spiced European pastry. With no bitter flavors to be found, the wonderful yeast qualities are testament to the attention payed to the blending of the newer and older vintages. As the flavors slowly dissipate the sweet flavors at the front of the mouth are fully distinguishable from the tart flavors in back.

Light bodied and very lively without being sharp, kind of a thick blanket of effervescence. Like a vacation I don't want to leave, I'll come back again and again.

Duchesse may very well be the best sour ale I have ever had and it pours a deep chestnut brown color with notes of tart fruit, notably cherries, and dark malt. Since this ale is aged in oak conditioned casks, Duchesse has a red wine like feeling to it. The array of sweet and sour flavors are perfectly balanced throughout this Flanders red ale, and it’s velvety smooth from start to finish.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe