Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Originally sampled on draught 20 March 2002. This is one of the most unique beers I've ever tasted. It is dark reddish brown in color, but light in body. The balance between sweet & tart is excellent. I would have it again. It has a wonderful, fruity aroma. I wouldn't recommend it for any novice beer drinkers, but it's a must try for any serious beer drinker.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

The Duchesse pours a deep but clear, brownish, red-amber color, with a fuzzy light sand colored lid.

The smell is sweet and sour with both sugared and tart cherries. Red grapes show as well, with a red wine/vinegar character that is quite pleasant.

Medium bodied with a crisp and zesty, yet creamy, carbonation. Lightly sharp of sugar and lightly acidic vinegar. A pleasant sugary caramel malt and red grape juice sweetness blends excellently with tart cherries, light red wine, and lightly tart cider vinegar. Lightly sweet oak rounds it out a fine brew.

Very much enjoyed the Duchesse. Very well balanced; the flavors flow together seemlessly. Definitely the best Flanders Red I've tried, though they've been few.

3.96/5  rDev -4.8%

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

thick pillowy head and lots of lacing. hazy amber brown body. Hits the pallete sweet, and then the earthy tannins take over and gives a nice dry finish. Grape and Wine characteristics, At the start of the sip i taste sweet red apple but that turns into tart Green Apple by the end. good viscosity and carbination gives a great strong body that with the tart finish stays very drinkable and enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured with a fairly large, off-white head that was long-lasting and eventually settled to 1/2-finger. Body is dark ruby red and quite clear.

S: Fantastic aroma of medium sourness, with some cherry fruitiness thrown in as well. Slight horse-blanket smell in there, too.

T: Nice balance of fruitiness and sourness... doesn't become overpowering at all. Awesome.

M: Medium body, medium-light carbonation. Both sweet and tart in the finish.

D: My first Flanders Red. I loved it.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours out a dark reddish-brown with a nice off white head that seems to last. The smell is wonderful. Sweet, sour, balanced and simply amazing. The smell is a perfect five.

Taste is much more smooth than I expected. Cherries, wood, and a tad on the sweet side. No alcohol is present. So smooth and so balanced I am amazed this beer is aged in oak.

To be honest, I am sure there are better beers from this style. But, they are not that easily available. This is the best that I have had from this style and I can't wait to try more.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Presentation: 11.2 oz bottle into a snifter. "Best before 30/06/2013" stamped on the back of the label.

A- Pours a translucent reddish brown. ~1/2 finger of fizzy tan, which fades quickly to a thin, incomplete cap.

S- Tart cherries and vinegar provide a nice kick up front, followed by some oaken/red wine.

T- Sweet and sour cherry/fruit notes...a bit acidic. Oaken /wood notes balance things out. Everything comes together beautifully. Fantastic.

M- Moderately low carbonation. Medium/light feel.

O- Quite good. Complex and tasty, yet doesn't smash my palette in any unpleasant ways...winner!

Future outlook: I should be drinking "Flanders" beers more often, with this one certainly included.

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a deep redish brown color.

S: I get a lot of molasses and some vinegar like others.

T: Tart fruit, and carbonation, not a ton of vinegar acid

M: Carbonation, thin, actually the best part of this beer to me.

D: It's good to try, but not sure if I'd do a ton ton of them. Once a year beer. Too tart for me.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Caged and corked bomber.

Into my glass and it reveals its dark cherry color. A thin ring of lace hangs around for a while.

Sour cherry, ketchup, vinegar in the nose. Despite being unusual, it's certainly appealing in some way.

It's an edgy flavor, but I think it does a good job. There's other fruit flavors in there too. Notably grapes, plums, apple, etc.

THe aftertaste is noticably smooth and enjoyable. The lingering flavors are not acidic or anything. If anything, there's a bit of viscous/syrupy quality to it. I look forward to finishing the bottle off. At 6%, it is very drinkable and really grows on me.

This is definitly not your typical brew, especially for here in the states. It's true to the Flander's style in many ways, but also adds a lot of interesting characteristics.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

An attractive, true shade of red, though it lacks any head formation. The aroma is outstanding. Being new to the style, it's a new aroma to me, and I really like it. Incredibly sour notes coming off of this. I'm also detecting vinegar, but surprisingly it's not offensive. Taste follows nose closely with loads of sour flavor, though it's not out of balance. There enough malt in there to keep it grounded. As usual, this Belgian ale offers a generous amount of carbonation, helping to keep it light and drinkable. And at 6%, it truly is. This is probably the most wine-like beer I've had, with a lot of grape flavor coming through. The finish is tart with a slight mineral/copper bite. Lots of fruity after flavors to be enjoyed. I think this beer could do well with some cherry pie!

A unique style of beer and something I think most people could enjoy. I think it could be good on a hot day, though not more than one. I think it also has a lot of food pairing potential.

4.7/5  rDev +13%

Pours a beautiful ruby-red, cranberry juice color, with a small bubbly head, fading fast. Smell is quite intense to say the least. The first thing that comes to mind is a grapey wine character, with an almost gueuze-like tang, finally finished up with a permanent marker smell. Wow. Much more subtle in the taste than in the nose. All that harshness calms down and gives way to a well rounded and complex ale. Ok, wow, again... this is really unlike anything I've had before, so it's tough to describe these tastes. There's a definate fruity quality there; plums, blackberries, grape jelly, etc... really a complex character. I'm having a hard time detecting any hops or malt in this beer, yet while it shares that quality with a lambic, this still seems more like a beer to me. Sweet juicy notes with a bit of a sour kick, though to be honest, from the smell, and from other reviews and the style description I was expecting a little more pucker. I was surprised by the slight funkiness in the finish, like a stinky cheese, a nice unexpected bonus. Interesting mouthfeel too; it seems to change from bubbly and carbonated when it first hits the mouth to a slighty syrupy yet super-smooth finish. Illusion? I have no idea, but it's great. I could drink this beer anytime, and could never get bored of it. So many nooks and crannies to discover in this beer. Go get it. Cheers to the Duchesse!

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured a syrup colored reddish brown, clear, with about an inch of creamy sandy head that leaves a bit of lacing. I am really excited for this one. Smell, however, is a bit of a let-down, I actually get a bit of booze (at 6%??), some medium roasted malts, and a bit of pear, apples, and vinegar. It's not as strong as I had hoped, and the booze in it is a little disconcerting.

Taste is pretty good. I must say that I prefer Monk's Cafe, though I'm starting to understand why MC is not a good example of this style. The tart, sour, and vinegar of MC are way over-the-top compared with Duchesse. It's got a nice apple cider vinegar kick to start, drifting into a nice smooth brown ale. The subtlety of the different aspects of this beer are pretty nice. The brown malts to it though get to be a bit cloyingly sweet, very syrupy.

MF is decent, a bit prickly, medium bodied, dry finish. Not as dry as I would have preferred, however. Sweetness on the back end of this one gets in the way of the drinkability, though this is a nicely crafted Flanders.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe