1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,640 | Reviews: 1,319 | Show All Ratings:
jbart

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apples, apples, apples. This beer pours dark with a reddish tinge. For some reason, I thought it'd be lighter. As other people have said, it smells like apple cider vinegar, but not bad. I think it's pleasant. It tastes like fresh apples, like I picked them myself--more sour than sweet. It's not overly sour, though. In fact, I thought it would be more sour. I really like this--it's very refreshing.

01-14-2007 04:28:16 | More by jbart
duncan9idaho

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Nice dark brown color with surprisingly light colored head. At first whiff it reminded me of very expensive balsamic vinegar and strong cider without the spice. My first taste was taken slow and a small amount because I figured this sour brown was gonna do a number on my palate. Much to my surprise The sourness did not trash my mouth as New Belgium's La Folie did the first time. A little more acid then most but flavors of apple cider, balsamic vinegar, sweet dried fruits, with tart finish on the backsides of the tongue. Better to be enjoyed out of the 4 pack if drinking alone or shared with a friend if enjoying a 750 ml.

04-05-2007 15:51:22 | More by duncan9idaho
21mmer

2.17/5  rDev -47.7%

750ml caged/corked bottle poured into a tulip glass.

i was really expecting to thoroughly enjoy this beer, as i have heard so many good things about it and am a fan of the style. perhaps i had a bad bottle, but this did not live up to my expectations.

appearance/pour was nice....dark amber color, nothing out of the ordinary.

smell was overwhelmingly vinegar and acidic. some faint fruity and yeasty notes were present, but the vinegar dominated.

taste was...not what i expected. man, this is a sweet beer. too sweet for this BA. there was a faint sourness and a little funkiness, but the sweetness just dominated the flavor profile.

i had trouble drinking my 8 oz. pour, and couldn't see myself handling any more.

06-12-2009 17:04:58 | More by 21mmer
Jono0284

Maryland

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured a very amber/redish hue with a thick head. The initial aroma was sour and vinegar but when it opened I got spice specifically cinnamon (my wife actually got that).

The acidity stays with the beer as I drink but it mellows and there is a little sweetness before the sour takes over. My first impression of the taste was not great however as I drink I find this beer growing on me. It is very good for its style but not an everyday beer for me.

02-05-2011 04:27:21 | More by Jono0284
Fattmatt73

Georgia

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

An absolutely incredible beer. The balance of fruit, floral and sour is incredible. Usually a beer this sweet would be way out of my zone, but the balance of the sour accentuates the fruit and floral notes. Love it, one of my favorite beers. Anyone who has not ventured into the land of sours should make this one of their first.

02-06-2013 06:23:14 | More by Fattmatt73
th0m

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a dark ruby color with a finger of off-white head. Head lingers for a bit, then turns into a thin layer around the edges of the glass and in the middle.

Smells wonderfully refreshing on this warm NC day. Smells of raisins, plumb, tarty, a bit of must, farty farm smells, when I close my eyes and smell this, it takes me to an open meadow on a warm spring day with the sun setting.

Taste is sour up front with a very fruity finish. Very dry. Notes of strawberries, cherries, plumb, pineapple, currant, cranberries. As I sip this on my front porch, it hits the right spots. Very refreshing.

Mouth feel is light. Very carbonated. Refreshing, but one of those drinks you want to sip and enjoy, so maybe not very easily drinkable.

Overall I really enjoyed this.

03-14-2014 21:35:15 | More by th0m
ckearns919

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into a sampling glass.

Appearance: poured dark amber with a thick beige head that disappeared quickly down to a quarter inch leaving some solid lacing around the glass

Smell: aged balsamic vinegar, dried cherries most apparent. Those are the twos hat dominate

Taste: vinegar upfront, but that quickly passes and gives way to a sweetness that quickly yields to tartness. Lots of flavor quickly. Taste similar to nose. Vinegar and cherries dominate. No hops to speak of, typical of the style.

Mouthfeel: very light. High carbonation cleanses the palate and leaves it refreshed. Hard to believe that this is 6%.

Overall: it doesn't get too much better than this. Balanced, complex, and refreshing. Clean finish. You get a lot of flavor and a lot of drink ability.

04-08-2014 00:20:58 | More by ckearns919
BubbaSteve

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have had this brew only bottled (VERY envious of those who can get it on tap!) but am writing this review after the 750 ml bottle.
First, the appearance. Absolutely gorgeous! Dark brown with beautiful mahogany red edges, nice creamy white head that lasted a remarkably long time. The aroma struck me as wine-like with a hint of oak and vanilla (not surprisingly as oak has the second highest concentration of the chemical vanillin from which vanilla beans get their flavor and aroma) and perhaps a touch of raisin as well.

The taste is very hard to describe other than to say that it is very complex with a bit of fruitiness, malty sweetness and an acidic note like cherries or even blackberry. It seemed to begin with a softly tart maltiness that then subsides and very much flows into the fruity notes ending with just a hint of raisin. Amazingly good stuff!

I found it to be eminently drinkable which I set out to prove by finishing 2 of the 750 ml bottles over a 4 hours period. Was saddened once it was gone. I will be stocking up on this for the upcoming holidays!

10-28-2007 17:16:13 | More by BubbaSteve
np0x

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

This beer is a great introduction to sour beers, with a soft approach to the vineous flavors in the flanders style. As I drink more and more sour beers, this beer's back sweetened style is less palatable. But the complexity in this beer will blow the mind of someone who hasn't had a sour beers and it won't create a phobic sour beer hater...

01-17-2010 15:15:48 | More by np0x
sapper1252

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle. Good carbonation. Mild barnyard smell, definitely some cherries.

Taste was mildly sour, with cherry sweetness. I was expecting more sour.

A good Flanders Red, but I've definitely had better. I did find it pleasant, however.

11-16-2012 00:39:03 | More by sapper1252
Slap_and_Pickle

4.74/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was my first flanders red, and my first craft brew -- it left me in awe that something could taste like this. I was infatuated with the funk and the sour. I still cannot get enough of the Duchesse.

Pours a dark ruby/garnet with a thick head.
Smells like gym sock and farmhouse funk deliciousness with hints of tart cherries.
Initial taste is funky with a sour aftertaste. Tastes like cherries, and has a dry acidic finish to it. Very refreshing brew.

This is a full bodied slightly complex beer that is easily drinkable. The statements are correct that this indeed is a nice Flanders Red Intro.

07-24-2013 06:08:15 | More by Slap_and_Pickle
donotknowme

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

This poured a deep reddish-brown with a thin lacy head that quickly faded. The nose was dominated by a sour smell with hints of berries and maybe some oak. One of the best mouthfeels I have ever had in a beer. At the end it got a little thick and sticky from the sweetness but the tartness cleared it up nicely. Easily my favorite beer.

09-03-2006 21:58:10 | More by donotknowme
Sprows

Rhode Island

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Sampled at Flying Saucer - Columbia, SC.

11.2oz bottle (with lovely damsel on the label) poured into a tulip glass. Deep brownish-red, with a thin, lingering head. Full aroma, with apple overtones and some acidity.

Complex tart flavor, again like apples. Sweet off the bat, with a bold tart and sour taste following. Tastes & feels hearty, as Flemish ales will.

A pleasingly tasty and smooth beer, good for meals/cheese pairings (gruyere in this instance), sessions, etc. Hearty enough to enjoy in cold months, and refreshing enough to be pleasing in summer months. Excellent change-of-pace choice, and good for sharing. Highly recommended.

04-26-2007 15:00:35 | More by Sprows
scojo

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours brownish-red with a small caramel-colored head. Smells slightly fruity - I pick up a cherry scent, similar to a lambic. The cherry flavor comes in strong at first, but it mellows into a nice sweetness and finishes slightly sour. The carbonation is light but refreshing. The sweet and sour taste, along with the carbonation and the noticeable but not overbearing alcohol flavor work together to make this a refreshing, flavorful, very drinkable beer.

07-03-2007 02:24:21 | More by scojo
Wench

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Interesting aged ruby appearance with an off white head.
Vinous, with earthy sour cherries and soy sauce on the nose.
Delicious tang with more wine inspired notes of cherries, balsamic vinegar and soy. Malty, delicious and creamy in the mouth.
Interesting to bring to a tasting of Belgians, and a good example of this style.

10-28-2008 02:22:57 | More by Wench
mallthus

Colorado

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

So, I need to admit a prejudice against Flemmish reds as I go into this review. As a self admitted hop adict, it's just not my "go to" style. Nonetheless I went ahead and ordered a 350ml bottle tonight and I was favorably impressed.

As others have noted, this guy brings a Great pour to the table. I was impressed, but, alas, my beer was too cold, so I had to cuddle it for a while. Once warmed, a lot of the sour notes mellowed out and it became quite drinkable.

Still, I had the feeling I was missing something. Perhaps it's just my palate, but the sour notes overpowered everything else the beer might have had to offer.

Based on past experiences with Belgians, I toyed with the idea that food might help, so I paired some frites with mayo with it. Much to my surprise, the salt on the frites really did a number on this one, opening up a whole new range if flavors I hadn't noticed before.

So, word of caution. Come to this knowing it'll taste profoundly different from almost anything else you'll easily find.

As always, my 2¢ only...

01-10-2011 03:38:54 | More by mallthus
danielofthedale

Georgia

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

A-A dark red color. Nice foamy head that retains well. A good amount of carbonation bubbles streaming up to the head.

S-Vinegar smell is what I got fist but also tart apples. The funky aroma that one would expect from a Belgian beer.

T-An upfront tartness. Good blend of sour and sweet. Pleasant apple taste. And just when you think the sweetness is over powering you get a good and lighting fast bitterness that leaves just as fast to cut through the sweetness.

M-Very foamy and full of zest from the carbonation. Slightly chew but still light.

D-Extremely drinkable. I think it would be perfect to have on a nice summer day sitting out on the deck or proch to end the day.

01-28-2011 03:14:38 | More by danielofthedale
pjcors

4.4/5  rDev +6%

Drank from a 750ml bottle. Shared with a friend. Still, perhaps a bit much for a beer of this style.

A- Dark amber in color, with a thin, lacy head.

S- When I first poured this beer I found the smell to be rather off-putting. It had a strange, chlorinated smell to it. It almost reminded me of the local YMCA pool. But the deeper I got the more other flavors began to express themselves. I got hints of apple, cherries, and maybe some pear? I couldn't really tell, but the overall fruitiness was readily apparent when you got past the pungent first smell.

T- This is where the beer blew me away. All of the strange aromas of the smell disappear after the first taste. This is nothing but goodness. The apples and cherries are immediately apparent. A sour taste begins to develop the longer you hold it in your mouth, but this is by no means a bad thing. It is actually a pleasant counter to the sweetness of the fruits. I had read previous reviews where people have said they've tasted a vinegar-like quality, but none of this was apparent to me. I got hints of lambic, but more earthy.

M- A very thick, sticky mouthfeel. Like I said before, a pleasant sourness starts to develop the longer you taste it. A slight carbonation is also present.

D- Very good. As I stated at the beginning, it can be a bit overwhelming when had from a 750ml bottle, but I can see buying an 11.2oz of this and thoroughly enjoying it. A great dessert beer to enjoy.

All in all, I was mighty impressed by this beer. The smell turned me off a bit at first, but it was a small problem with an otherwise delicious beer.

03-07-2011 07:00:51 | More by pjcors
bonemuse07

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Day #4 of a "A Beer a Day" for summer.

A: Two fingers of cream head on a brilliant reddish/brownish body. Beautiful thick lacing all around the glass that lingered throughout.

S: cherry, apple, and a plenty of vinegar. I was worried that it would have too much of a vinegar-y taste

T: But, it turns out there wasn't too much to worry about. It was dry. There was some tartness, but more sweet than tart. Apple, apple, and more apple to me. very smooth and inoffensive to drink.

M: Light, crisp, with lots of sweet carbonation. A slightly tart/vinegar coating on the tongue was the only aftertaste.

O: This went down really smoothly. I've just come off a bit of a wild ale kick, having just had a Supplication the other night. I was expecting something heavier, but was pleasantly surprised. This was a great beer after a long day. Will definitely enjoy the rest of the four-pack.

06-24-2011 03:08:22 | More by bonemuse07
Uhlikm

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

From a 750ml bottle poured into Rochefort goblet.

Appearance - Pours a ruby-caramel red with a taupe head that dissapates quickly.

Smell - Aroma is sweet, grapelike. Smells of port with faint alcohol notes.

Taste - Raisin, sweet and sour that is well-balanced between flavors. Defitinely a wine/sherry character imparted amongst an almost indiscernable barley backdrop.

Mouthfeel - Light, effervescent, with a "fresh" feel on the palate. Body is lacking and could be bolstered, but seems an appropriate match for the flavor.

Overall - This Flanders Red ale is an interesting intersection of a sour ale and barleywine traits. I liken it to a barleywine "light" that has similar complexitiy of flavors without the heaviness or maltiness of a barleywine. One can definitely appreciate why this is regarded as the "Burgundy of Belgium".

10-12-2011 00:48:53 | More by Uhlikm
GeraldFunk

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into pint glass from 330ml bottle.

A- Beer has a dark ruby brown colour with nice head on the pour. Head dissipates very quickly though leaving good lacing.

S- Very complex aroma, a little shocking at first but quite pleasant. Balsamic vinegar, Rose Champagne, sour cherries, red grapes. All good.

T- The tartness of this beer hits first with more of the nose. Balsamic vinegar is what i'm getting mostly with good sour fruit notes as well.

M- Nothing crazy here, good carbonation and medium long finish.

O- Wow, I'm fairly new to the style but I can tell i'm a big fan of flanders reds. Nothing like a nice complex beer to finish the day.

04-04-2012 06:43:33 | More by GeraldFunk
alexmel7

Spain

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

It's like eating a kobe beef hot dog with mustard and ketchup plus a berry compote on top.

Seriously...this is why I'm a fan of wild yeast. This beer is very unique. Honestly I'm a much bigger fan of this than Rodenbach. Definitely worth a try, or two.

08-31-2013 02:05:54 | More by alexmel7
BrandonBahula

4.73/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, really had what I look for in a sour. Dark fruit tartness and strong sour acidity. After the first few sips I could really get all the tropical fruit tang although every few sips I do catch a whiff of a solvent like alcohol flavor especially on the back on my palate. But overall a amazing beer great for satisfying a sour crave.

11-29-2013 22:01:21 | More by BrandonBahula
stangelj

Czech Republic

2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

Poured from a 330ml bottle, best before 24-08-07. Appearance is very nice, a dark brown/red color with a 2 finger head that persisted. Lots of lacing left on the glass as I drank the beer. Off to a good start. Smells sweet and fruity, interesting, sour apple and cherry mostly. Taste amplifies what I smelled, whew. Starts off sweet but quickly turned sour. I like sour fruit beers but this tasted exactly like apple cider vinegar to me. The vinegar taste overpowers and is what's left in the aftertaste. Does not have much of a beer taste. Mouthfeel is ok, perhaps too full bodied, carbonation is fairly high. I didn't find this overly drinkable, would not have more than one. I would not buy again. This is my first experience with this style, so perhaps this is what it's supposed to be like, but I can't get past the apple cider vinegar taste.

08-14-2006 00:50:15 | More by stangelj
hummni

Washington

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Why ever drink any thing again after this beer. I love this beer I can’t stop drinking it. I drink it in my Maudite Tulip glass...The color of Duchesse is a wonderfully dark red and it looks awesome behind the maudites winged devil...the head is around 2-3 fingers and a light tan color not real sticky but some nice lace. Smell is a sour smell but so much more...hard to explain I fine this beer very complex. Taste is sour and very drinkable no ALC. taste, being only 6%abv. This was expected. All in all if you are looking for something different to try, try a sour Flemish tonight and this is an awesome example of them.

03-05-2007 03:15:45 | More by hummni