Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,605 | Reviews: 1,425
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured into a goblet. Nice deep red, very clear with small whiteish head forming.

Aroma is very sweet & sour, like balsamic vinegar. Very prominent vinegar and sweet cherries without a lot else in the aroma.

Remarkably, there wasn't really any vinegar in the taste in spite of its strength in the aroma. This is definitely a sweet beer with a strong tart, sour cherry element. Some crystal malt, caramel sweetness also in there. Nice complexity.

A rich, sweet beer that came across as not too cloying because of the tart, dryness that went along with it. So much going on in here, though, that I don't know if I could have a whole one.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.34/5  rDev +4.3%

Best before 06-06-08, so a year ahead of "expiration date".

app - Lovely reddish-brown color with sparkling clarity. Large, creamy, off-white head lingers nicely, leaving lace in its wake.

smell - A bit vinegar-like, and a sour berry smell dominates. Pleasant, but a bit simple and one-dimensional.

flavor - a dark berry fruity sweetness and a competing sour dryness. Overall balance slightly sweet. Hop flavor nonexistent as appropriate for style, hop bitterness not clearly evident (but providing some balance).

MF - medium body and low-to-med carbonation. A gentle astringency from the red wine-like finish, but in style. No alcohol warming.

O'all/drinkability - A beautiful looking, beautiful tasting beverage. Lovely mnelding of fruity sweetness and aged beer sourness, with tremendous balance. Given the price (think my 11.2 oz bottle was about $4) and nature of the brew, not one that will be a pounding session beer, but highly drinkable for a sour (in my view).

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.74/5  rDev -10.1%

Brown 33cl bottle. Best by date printed on back label.

Full russet brown in colour, with reddish highlights. Large sized bubbles begin to form almost immediately, and intially look like particulate matter floating throughout the beer. A small tan head forms, but doesn't hang around for long.

Fruity aroma, with plenty of vinegar like sourness.

Fruity, sour, tangy. Cola sort of flavour running underneath the hole thing. Medium bodied, rustic carbonation.

2.9/5  rDev -30.3%

Now I'll admit that I am not a huge fan of this beer, even though this is my first and probably last time I'll try this style. I don't have anything to compare it too, so I'll be as objective as possible.

Served in what seemed to be red wine glass. Not much activity in terms of carbonation, or head. Brandywine red color.

Smell like malt vinegar. Really.

Tasted like malt vinegar. Really.

This was one beer that I could not wait to finish. One of the least drinkable beers I have ever had. I simply did not enjoy this beer.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Deep Reddish Brown looks think tan head that sticks around for some time. Good amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell - Sour tart fruit smells. I smell cherries and green apples. Smells amazing.

Taste - Wow. Sweet tart cherries, with lingering dry sour finish.

Mouthfeel - Full moderately carbonated mouthfeel. This beer really coates the mouth well.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. Leaves you wanting more and more.

Notes - Well worth the 21.99 for the four pack I bought. Would actually consider buying this again. This would be a good beer to introduce to non beer drinkers that like fruity drinks. My sister doesnt like beer at all. She loved this enough to ask me for one of my bottles.

3.54/5  rDev -14.9%

A: Pours a very deep brownish-crimson color with a sizeable off-white head that retains well and lays down a bit of lacing on my snifter. Very impressive appearance.

S: Initially the aroma of pure, unrestrained vinegar was awful, but it's mellowed a bit with time and some warming. Acidic and fruity, with notes of fermented cherries and a hint of woodiness. I can appreciate it, but it's worlds away from the other oud bruin I've had. The vinegar aroma kind of kills the opportunity for other positives to emerge.

T&M: Sour and tart. There's a good deal of cherry flavor and tartness with a residual aftertaste of vinegar. Some musty earthiness and woody character on the tail end and finish. I definitely appreciate the complexity and subtlety in here. The mouthfeel has a brisk, sharp carbonation and a lighter body, which is in-line with the style.

D: Hard to get a lot of this down because of the vinegar flavor and acidity. I wouldn't want to drink more than 1 of these in a session.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

My first Flanders Red ever, I'm excited to try this.

A - Pours a deep, dark red with a magnificent, billowy beige head and great lacing.

S - Cherry, cranberry, apples, candied sugar, oak, and yeast. Slight acidity in the nose as well. A very nice mixture of smells. Almost like a wine in its complexity.

T - Sour, nice blend of fruits with apple being the most dominant. Cherry is present as well. A bit tart, but still sweet.

M - Medium bodied, nice carbonation. Tart finish, but very smooth and easy to drink.

O - I was very impressed with the Duchesse De Bourgogne. It's a world class brew and a unique sour that I'm glad to have tried. I would love to have this again!

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

I was introduced to this beer the other night and I was really confused at first smell as to why this beer was held in such high regard...then I tasted it and my world was flipped upside down. I got to drink this out of a Duchesse de Bourgogne glass that my friend gave me.

This beer poured a silky reddish brown color with a nice looking head that clung to the glass nicely.

The aroma threw me at first. I thought it was a bad bottle because I immediately picked up on a buttery vinegar-like aroma. This aroma and whatever I had left sitting on my palate from my last beer didn't jive well at all. As soon as I got acclimated to the flavor of this beer the aroma became enticing and very complex.

The flavor was something else. It has a buttery presence in the mouth with some mild tartness. The flavor that I would have called vinegar before was acclimated to this beer became something else. I believe maybe a oak influenced sourness that is mild and adds to the complexity of this beer. It finishes somewhat dry and leaves you mouth with still developing flavors. I need to clean out some cupboard space for beers like this one now.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with medium to low carbonation. It coats the mouth nicely but is not cloying.

The drinkability of this one is good for say me, but I would say it is a lot lower for inexperienced palates.

This is definately a beer to pick up and try. Drink it with a few friends or they will never believe you.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a great reddish hue with some solid light brown/tannish head the nearly pours over with foam.
Smell is acrid, the good kind of acrid with a vinegar hint.
Flavor is complex. Slight sourness followed by some kind of smooth fruit/acidic taste, maybe I'm getting cherries, maybe pomegranite.
Finish is long, the oak maturation gives it such a greatly smooth and long aftertaste of sour and fruit.
Drinks great, it's tough to find sours that are drinkable and this is definately.

3.76/5  rDev -9.6%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a lightly hazy dark reddish amber color with a 1 finger tan head that lasts for about a minute before subsiding to a small ring, leaving small bits of lacing.

The smell upfront showcases a burst of sour cherries amidst a woody background. There is a vinegar like smell at the end, but the aroma mostly comes off a little more sweet than sour.

Now the taste mixes things up a little. There is absolutely a strong taste of vinegar upfront. Towards the middle, the cherries come back into the picture, and there is still a faint woody taste in the background. Raspberries are also present, making this one quite fruity at times, but also a little acidic. The finish is again a little more sweet than sour and that sweetness is needed to balance out the vinegar. I'd think that vinegar taste could be done away with but I'll still give this a good mark for being satisfying overall.

Medium bodied, maybe a little thin, medium carbonation. Duchesse looks good, smells fairly good, and the taste is good, but a little weird. That sharp acid upfront is just strange, but it balances out by the middle and into the finish. The sweetness of the fruit helps bring it all together. I could rate this one much higher if not for that vinegar touch, but it is still enjoyable for the most part. Good to try no doubt, but I won't be stocking up on these.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

An interesting taste... Light drinkable, good. Poured reddish brown with a reddis hint of tan head. Smell kind of reminds me of soy sauce. Taste is complicated with various fruits and vinegar noticable. Sort of slick to the tongue Pretty drinkable for such an odd flavor and smell/

3.82/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a deep medium brown, with a dense beige head that leaves tremendous lacing. The aroma is pleasant but muted, with a faint, musty/herbal hop character that is reminiscent of old, wet grass (in a good way), which is contrasted by a light, fruity combination of berries and citrus. The flavor is more vibrant, with a bright and fruity combination of mixed berries and sour cherries that is not overly sweet, especially when cut by a kind of aged vinegar character. The fine, soft carbonation elevates rather than distracts from the sweet/tart flavor. Overall, the sweet and only gently sour profile of this beer makes it quite drinkable but still flavorful.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe