Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this at the Hopleaf, while their draft coolers were down.

Pours out hazy and amber colored. The head is white colored, fizzy and loose looking, that kind of falls back and leaves only a bit of lacing. Looks about normal for the style. The smell is just very vinegary, almost to the point where it sort of turns you off. Reminds me of Easter egg dying day. There's a nice tart note in the background, a hint of sweetness, but the vinegar smells make it hard to pick anything else out. I'd call this score more of a median score than an average score, because it smells all but average - but it doesn't impress me, yet doesn't disappoint me at the same time. The vinegar carries over to the taste, but it's much more to my liking here. The tartness still came through in the taste, but the beer still had a moderate sweetness, quite enough to make this one enjoyable. This one does a good job with the style, and in terms of flavor, is a beer to shoot for, but something I still think can be passed. Pretty enjoyable if you can get past the vinegar smell. The body is actually a bit thin, but is still quite pleasant thanks to the tartness. Not very malty, but just enough sweetness to get by. The carbonation is nice, bites just a bit without getting in the way. The drinkability is good, this one must be consumed rather slowly, though - just as the whole style ought to be. But overall, a good drink, something like a night cap for this one, and I'd recommend it to others hoping to explore the style.

taylorhamrick, Jul 06, 2009
2.03/5  rDev -51.2%

A small bottle, slender with smooth curves like the Duchesse herself. She stares at that little bird while I stare at the nice reddish brown, the color of caramel and desert sunsets. I smell it, the aromas wafting off the headless beer, cherries, caramel, brown sugar, lemons, and a hint of wood. It moves to my mouth, the anticipation causes my foot to tremble.

What in the name of all things holy is this. It tastes like artificial sweetener, preservatives, fake fruit flavoring, and minimal tartness. Is this beer or cheap red soda? I am saddened. I have to go back to the cellar and find something drinkable, something joyfull. I wish I had another supplication left, that might get this thing out of my memory.

Morals are all that keep this thing, this bottled sadness from hitting my drain. I wished for the stars, and hit dirt.

One last thought: this abomination ruined half of a bottle of delirium nocturnum, the beer we chose to wash out this foul flavor.

olympuszymurgus, Mar 29, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

mttdls, Dec 10, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Appearance: Poured brown with minimal head. Not much to say about the appearance... pretty bland, but nothing strange or off about it.

Smell: Ketchup? Catsup? A1... this smells like something I would put on my steak. Is that bad... no... just unexpected.

Taste: Again the ketchup and a1 come through quite powerfully, but when I try to ignore them, I can pick up some intense raisin and prune action going on. Maybe my palate isn't strong enough to pick up the complexity of this brew, but all I can get is vinegar, and ketchup. This is great with my steak though.

Mouthfeel: There's a sharpness to this beer that balances with the sweetness, but overall the mouthfeel is kinda weak and relies too much on the taste for support.

Drinkability: I find this to be an interesting beer, and not bad at all, just not something I ever want to drink again. It's far too strange for me.

dbalsock, Feb 09, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Having recently purchased an oak barrel for homebrewing purposes, I needed to "research" some barrel aged "sours," as that's what I'm looking towards.

Sweet Duchesse here begins a quest that will surely destroy my bank account, home life, and possibly work life as well. So it goes.

She is nice and red, i mean a darker kind of sexy red, not ginger. Smells of vinegar and oak with some kind of fruity sweetness...a good sign.

Fantastic mouth feel, high carbonation. Taste's of sweet, sour cherry and beer, minor funk cuts through to make it interesting. Drink it too quick and all you get in vinegar, so don't. I'll be drinking this again.

TenHornsProud, Feb 19, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

DanE, Apr 14, 2013

micropale, Aug 01, 2013
3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

On draft at Rustico, and served in Chimay chalice.

Arrives a deep garnet with cordovan highlights. Topped with a modest head of fine sand colored bubbles that slowly settles to a thick coating leaving big clots of foam floating. A few active carbonation streams are visible. The smell is tart, dry, sharp and of balsamic vinegar. Sweet and with a pleasing, slightly woody tartness. Sweet up front, and almost sugary. The balsamic notes ride through the middle into the finish where the tart bite shows up, but is then completely dominated by a syrupy sweet flavor. Fine, but active carbonation, rich and medium bodied slightly, ever so, dry. This has a bit of a soda feel about it. I kept coming back to the chalice hoping that it had changed somewhat, maybe dried out a bit, or that the tartness a fought its way to the front, or that at least the sweetness had dissipated. Alas, the chalice was empty and the sweet, cloying taste lingered. I had hoped for more. My wife enjoyed it more than I.

hopsaplenty, May 18, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Purchased 12-'09. Consumed 2-'10 in a pint glass.

A - One finger of cloudy, speckled, yeasty beige head. The beer is a clear amber with tones of crimson. Nice mud slides of lacing down the side.

S - Hints of strawberry, sherry, and oak. The dominate smell is cherry but bread and yeast can be found too if you dig far enough.

T - This is an interesting mixture. Instead of the cherry flavors with beer as an afterthought this is more of a beer with cherry tones. There are hoppy caramel flavors that ride breast to breast with the cherry. The aftertaste is an acidic sour experience.

M - Positive emotions. Frothy mouth coating with medium body but without the syrupy feel of some lambics.

D - A great sweet desert beer. Complex and interesting. Sweet but unmistakably beer.

jeranbrews, Feb 07, 2010

TheLevi4000, Apr 22, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

On tap at Republic. Not a style I know terribly well, but I likes me some sours, and the one FRA I had knocked my socks off.

Beautiful, deep red pour. A word to the wise though. Typically this is poured into a goblet, and the ruby red liquid in the goblet makes one look like a wine snob. Be careful where you order this, it might get you on the bidness end of an ass whupping.

Smell is vinegary, citrus, sour cherry, plenty of funk. Nice.

Taste is good, vinegar, apple, cherry. Good stu....wait a minute, what is that? That's a strange taste. Where have I had it before? With steak. Yes. It tastes like A-1! Really! Don't get me wrong, I like A-1, I just don't want to drink a goblet full of it.

Mouthfeel makes for smooth sipping.

Despite the steak sauce sensation I was able to enjoy this beer. But the off putting taste keeps it well short of being great.

lurpy1, Mar 17, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

parintele, Sep 27, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

GratefulEdd, Mar 22, 2014

Sarmartay, Aug 31, 2013
3.61/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I am just starting to experiment with sours, so my frame of reference for this style is not as big as with other styles. The beer has a dark, brick-red color with a wispy head. Nose was vinegary although not unpleasant. Taste not as sour as the nose would make you think it would be and it finished with cherries and a little caramel sweetness.

KevT, May 27, 2013

humulusphile, Dec 13, 2013
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a brownish red. With a nice fluffy head. The head doesnt last as long as some, but disolves into a thin lace on top. The aroma is extremely complex. Hints of apple, sour cherries, oak, light smoke, leather, fig vinegar. Everytime you take a sniff there seems to be something different there. Taste Is seemingly as complex. Its a great blend of both sweet fruity notes with some sour cherry, vinegar notes. The taste might not be for all. At first it reminded me of the Italian tradition of having a shot of really nice balsamic vinegar after a meal. The sourness however, does not overwhelm and the beer has a nice lightly carbonated mouthfeel that keeps the sourness from becoming too much and lets the sweetness and oakiness shine through. Drinkability is good, however im sure after a number of these the acidity would play wreck havoc with ones GI tract. Overall I recomend this beer and it goes wonderfully with tart foods or foods with cherries in them.

TinusTime, Feb 25, 2005

jeffaroo95, Jul 30, 2014
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Duchesse de Bourgogne falls into a style that is very rare here, sour ales. Fortunately (I think), at least the FEW beers the goverment commisioned liquor board does import are quite good and that includes this one.

Pour deep mohagany red, white head that dissipates quicky to a thin film and leaves behind medium lacing. Big aroma of fruit, tartness, barnyard hay and light vinegar caracter. Suberb taste of wild berries, yogurt lacticity and husky unmalted grain.

Very interesting ale, wish I could get more flander reds, oud bruns and lambics up here.

bloberglawp, Jan 04, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance- Pours a wonderful reddish color, lots of carbonation and no head at all.

Smell- Lots of wine notes here, very astringent. Perhaps a bit piney?

Taste- Very wine-like, some bitterness here, champagne like. Unlike any beer Ive have ever had before.

Drinkability- This beer is delicious very unique, a definite must try.

Bowdoinbeerboy, Oct 25, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a deep amber/red/ruby color with minimal head. Little bit of lacing down the glass.

Smells of plums, raisons, red wine (port), and light lactic sourness.

Taste follows smell, plums and raisons, and finishes with a funky sourness. I love sour beers, but this is just off putting in the worst kind of way.

Mouthfeel is moderate with low carbonation

Overall, it tastes pretty bad, but nothing else is overly off putting, Get a Rodenbach instead.

bs870621345, Mar 28, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Comparison_Ford, Aug 14, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Beer pours a dark red, nearly opaque. Head forms about half an inch and recedes to a light covering. Aromas are incredible, jump right out of the glass. As this is my first Flemish Red I will just describe what I find, as I'm not sure what I "should" find... Smells like red berries, balsamic and red wine vinegar sourness. Never smelled a beer quite like this wow! Flavors are both sweet and sour (to me, akin to some duck sauce from Chinese take-out). This beer is incredible, have had nothing quite like it. Drinkability is only so-so as it's a fairly sweet brew and I'm not sure if I could have many of these.

dreadnatty08, Mar 11, 2006