Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +7%

Lets start off by saying damn I love this beer...

Sweet malt in the nose with a touch of sour bacterial edge

Lots of sweetness in the mouth that fades to a light sourness that lingers just a little on the pallet, very smooth, creamy, not harsh, leaves the mouth wanting more...

A wee bit expensive but worth every penny. also a great transition beer for anyone who thinks they arent into flanders red's, very easy to get into.

SShelly, Jun 18, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

FlussigkeitMut, Jun 10, 2013
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Ruby red with lots of bubbles. Good lacing.

S: A good sweet and sour but also some woody cinnamon note or so. Maybe like fig and grape as well. It's a little hard to decipher.

T: As the smell a good sweet and sour. Great fruit notes and a good musty finish. A little bitterness helps on the finish. Very complex and defined.

M: Musty bitterness comes through and the large amount of carbonation really makes it difficult to rest on the palate. It seems like the mustyness is really brought out while it rests on the palate.... Mmmmm quite...

O: A very nice beer. Great fruit notes but still has some malty and hoppy notes. I would recommend it.

Jamesthebrit, Sep 21, 2012

smonice, Apr 17, 2013

RoyFokker, Feb 22, 2014
1.3/5  rDev -68.8%

I'm going to be blunt on this. Horrible. It came in a bottle with a "best before" date of 01/01/06. I liked the color, a nice deep auburn capped by a small beige top. The smell consisted of berries, and a sort of cough medicine overtone. A small amount of citrus hit the nose as I drank. When I forced down the first drink all I tasted was vineager. I tried another few "pulls" and after tasting round after round of vineager and berries I had to give up. I even orderd a sprite to get the taste out of my mouth.

Ahhdball, Oct 31, 2004

strangebrew321, Jul 03, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: This lady pours ruby, almost burgundy. A royal ale brewed in honor of Mary of Burgundy. She almost looks like Cabarnet Sauvignon red wine. Reddish-brown body with a one finger beige head. Bubbly and sparkling with carbonation. Nice and Hazy.

Smell: Very powerful aromas of yeasty wild bacteria. Light bittersweet chocolate. Secondary notes of malty caramel. You can smell the sour notes and the fruitiness but nothing prepares me for the rush of flavor that is about to coat my tongue.

Taste: This is simply one of the most unique and flavorful tasting beers I have ever had. I taste Sweet grapes, slightly oaky almost corky plum wine, tart cherry. Vinegar. Spicy and sour citric fruitiness. I especially detect orange and guava. Some graininess and an oaky chocolate caramel finish. The finish is long and enjoyable. The sour bretts and fruit flavors and roasted malts all play on my tongue. There is a slight vinous alcohol presence. The hops are herbal and spicy.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium. There is some sugar. Duchesse doesn't dissolve but rather swishes around like a wine. Carbonation isn't too heavy on the mouth. It's all natural oak aging. Very light acidity. Nice overall balance of yeasts, roasted malts and specialty bittering hops.

Overall: The best I've had on the Flanders category. Also a very drinkable sour beer. Her sourness doesn't overpower the complex malts and other elements of the Belgian yeasts as well as the complex multi barrel aging process. This beer is easy to find and isn't too expensive for it's high quality.

Only problem I can find with this burgundy beauty is so noble, dignified and vinous it might destroy the wine industry if it caught on.

BerkeleyBeerMan, Jan 18, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Oakhtar, Jul 19, 2014
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

The bottle's cork said the best by date was 06/10

Aroma - Sweet with a tart aroma similar to grapes.

Appearance - Dark amber red with a nice off-white head and a good amount of carbonation.

Taste - A lot is going on in the flavor of this beer. First a good level of malt sweetness and then tart fruits leading to a wine like middle and finish. Finish is clean with a slight tartness lingering. Almost every time I took a sip I expected the tartness to keep growing but it didn't, which I'm glad about.

Notes - This had a good mouthfeel and a medium body. This is a really good beer I will have again.

jwhawkins81, May 25, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

12 oz bottle best by 4/8/2012 poured into a flute

A- Pours with a rusty magenta color with a foamy off white head

S- Tart cherries with a slight mustiness to it. Woodiness is noted in the background.

T- Cherries up front followed by a nicely balancing malt vinegar flavor that's not nearly as severe as I expected.

M- It's a sipper, light in body the carbonation brings the flavors out nicely. Going down much easier than I anticipated.

O- A very nice brew that I enjoyed drinking. This is a nice change of pace brew from my typical IPA/Stout/Pale Ales, and I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. I have a feeling I'll be coming back to revisit this one often, as well as searching out more in the style.

Franz4, May 17, 2011

Zakk, Jun 03, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

DrunkenMonk, Aug 06, 2012

ms333, Aug 12, 2014
2.95/5  rDev -29.1%

A: cola colour, small dark beige head

S: sweet vinegar, hints of cherry

T: sweet cherries, slightly murky, too sweet for my taste

M: medium body, sticky, good carbonation

O: by far my least favourite Flemish red, way too sweet, nothing refreshing, very little balancer, just sweet cherries

benfons, Jan 22, 2014
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

(A) Pours clean. Maroon, deep ruby/red wine colors. Amply carbonated. White head that doesn't last.

(S) Smell has some funk to it. There is a lot of fruit like cherry and green and red apples. Smells sweet and has a touch of vinegar in it.

(T) Vinegar and a lot of cherry. Good amount of berries and cranberry. You almost get the dry musk coming off of the cherries.

(M) I thought it would have been a bit harsher given the nature of the brew, but it's very smooth and oily. Medium body.

(O) Very fruity and berry. Almost reminded me of a wine cooler, but good and more body.

cjacobsen, Nov 29, 2011

vmdominguez, Apr 13, 2014

SoPeL, Aug 16, 2013

Troublebar, Jun 02, 2014

Aaron_Kerkvliet, Aug 11, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Definitely a change of pace from the everyday beer. Served in a chalice, fairly short-lasting brown-tinged head tops a dark, reddish brown beer. The first whiff has quite a bite to it. Once you get past the initial vinegarish scent, a more fruity odor dominates. The acerbic trend continues with the first sip; an almost overpowering (but not at all unpleasant) sour cherry flavor dominates. The tingling aftertaste is probably my favorite thing about this beer; think eating sour patch kids when you were younger. Not a beer I'd suggest to introduce your macro friends to the BA world, but overall a pleasant drinking experience.

medic25, Dec 14, 2004

jborg, Aug 18, 2014

BRClemons, Dec 23, 2013
3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

elegant appearance ... malty smell .... taste is almost soury as a Berliner Weisse, thus a good thirst quencher, granny smith paired with smoky, sandalwood and malty hints, no bitterness in the aftertaste ....
an interesting, elegant brew, a bit too soury for my own taste

Daredevil, Apr 24, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a gorgeous clear ruby color, big dense sand-colored head fades very slowly, leaves a nice foamy layer on top of the beer, and lots of lacing on the glass. Smell is sour cherries and green apples. Very tart taste, sour like the skin on a green apple, slight vinegar taste. Tight carbonation, but still pretty creamy, especially as it warms. This is my first of the style, and I'm certainly intrigued. Definitely not an everyday drinker, but very tasty, and something I'd have again in a heartbeat.

corey0212, Aug 11, 2008