2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,647 | Reviews: 1,319 | Show All Ratings:
stcules

Italy

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Mahogany color, bright, with ruby edges. Beige foam, good and creamy.
Malty smell, acicic, red fruit, strawbeery, raspberry, and sugar. And all on good acidic notes.
In the mouth a good acetic acidity, agai red fruit, oak notes, candy sugar. Good.
Light body. Great drinkability.
In the aftertaste the same pleasant note, a strong oak woody-ness, red fruit, and the acetic over all.
Definitely good, to drink in great quantity.

04-17-2012 19:39:43 | More by stcules
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.4/5  rDev +6%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Unibroue tulip. 6% ABV, Best before: See Cork, Exp: Jul 2011.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for bringing this over last night!

A - A hard cork pull relieves our "don't be a gusher" worries. An effervescent pour let the Duchesse give up a loose tan head with quickly popping and sinking bubbles. Low retention with little lace left over. The color is a clear red-brown. It looks unassuming and kind of like you pored a Coke in a tulip.

S - An oaky wood nose with an astringent, acidic sour smell kind of aims it towards the sour category. Hints of vinegar don't ruin anything, rather, it adds an extra dimension to the tart sourness the nose has to offer. Toasty malts have toffee in the background and combat the sourness reassuring that the taste wont be a mouth-puckering beer. No hop presence in this at all.

T - Delicious malty sweetness with a touch of brown sugar and caramel sweetness with toffee shavings on top. A light vinegar touch and some tart red grape with a mild funkiness backs up the malty sweetness with good balance. Awesome flavor with great depth! Mmmm.

M - The light tart funk melds well with the light-medium body and moderate carbonation finish. Very nice texture and finish but nothing in the mouthfeel really adds to the enjoyment of the beer, rather, it just helps it's awesomeness along.

D - This beer is insanely drinkable. Before finishing my review my pour from the 750 ml bottle was nearly gone. I busted out my 11.2 oz bottle to enjoy some more. Fantastic flavor and good aroma with such a well-balanced flavor and finish. I could put down a 750 ml of this myself no problem. Thanks Bnieman for recommending this time and time again and thanks Todd for bringing it over!

05-16-2010 18:16:45 | More by BeerFMAndy
RoyalT

Appearance - The body was nothing special, brown and clear with orangish-red tints, but the head was magnificent. It rose up mightily and lasted a lifetime. It came down lacing on the sides first while the middle held fast, so that in a few minutes I had a glass that was half beer half head, and the head was big but had pulled away from the edges while leaving a thick film. Awesome!

Smell - The light malt is dominated by a strong (but not sharp) sour aroma. The smell is very sophisticated and complex, though, and is mixed with clove and some cinnamon.

Taste - This is more balanced at the taste. The mild malt flavor stands a little firmer here, and the tartness is still strong but not as dominant. There's also a light sweet taste here and a tea-like quality that was very nice.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied and mild in its sweetness, this one was great to hold in the cheeks for a while.

Drinkability - I'm not a huge fan of the style, but this was great to sip on during the day.

Update - My original review was written off a 2003 vintage so I thought I'd delve into this delicacy again in 2009. The head didn't come up the way it did before but otherwise it was pretty much spot on. I am always taken aback when drinking this ale as to the sophisticated manner in which they bring in the cloves. They are not small, but the flavor and aroma both manage to sneak in unnoticed at first then halfway through the bottle you pick it up.

12-31-2003 19:16:08 | More by RoyalT
bluejacket74

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

750 ml caged and corked bottle, cork states expiration date of 12/09. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a reddish/brown color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention is average, lacing is good. It smells like tart cherries, apples and vinegar. The taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like slightly tart cherries, apples, plums and a bit of funk and vinegar. The taste isn't quite as sour as I expected it to be, but I think it's pretty good. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's creamy and slick and well carbonated. Drinkability is pretty good, it's smooth, refreshing and very enjoyable and easy to drink. I'd buy this again in the future, I think this is a pretty good brew. Recommended.

03-28-2009 23:38:11 | More by bluejacket74
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

25.4oz bottle best before June 09. Drank this with dinner and after last night

A: Pours a deep crimson with a soft one-finger light brown head.

S: A blend of vinegar and oaky sweetness, this one is simple but still delicious. I don't care much for the sweeter Flanders Reds but this is one that impressed me

T: Starts off mildly sour and vinegary before a pleasing sweetness takes over. Finishes with a hint of oak and a little dry

M: Well carbonated, fullish in body, almost like a dessert-wine but solid

D: I enjoyed my bottle and will drink this again and soon

09-20-2008 15:38:14 | More by DefenCorps
scruffwhor

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a light, red wine color with a hint of brown. Smelled a bit like red wine, but with a slight hop nuance and cherry lambic tartness. Tasted very sour, this was my first Flanders Red Ale, so I didn't know what to expect. Reminded of a cherry lambic, something I would have after dinner with a tart torte. Could also taste some winey grape notes as well. Mouthfeel was light but with an unexpected tartness, I wouldn't have more than one of these 750ml bottles in a day.

12-07-2005 01:42:07 | More by scruffwhor
flagmantho

Washington

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from 330mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: deep, clear red-brown woody color with two fingers of pillowy ivory foam. Layers of chunky lace are left as I drink the glass down. I like it a lot.

Smell: sweet caramel malt, oak and a nice dry sourness. Under that I get some faint but nice raisin and plum aromas. Nicely complex and highly alluring.

Taste: flavor profile is similar to the aroma with a bit dose of caramel malt, followed by a nice woody tartness. Complexity is very nice and the tartness is just enough to warrant taking another sip. This is one delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: medium body and enough carbonation to yield a sweet, smooth creaminess. Perhaps this should fall under flavor, but it seems like the acidity results in a little astringency which helps wash the palate clean and gets you ready for the next bout of creaminess. Fantastico.

Drinkability: this is a freakin' delicious beer. I am sad I have never had this up until now. I would drink this daily if I had the money.

03-11-2010 03:46:00 | More by flagmantho
bark

Sweden

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

The colour is dark red-brown; the liquid is clear. The low off white foam slowly sinks down leaving a small amount of lacing.

The smell is… Ehhh… Different. Sticky sour notes chemical of acetone, red fruits, barrel-aged flavours, some bitterness and a hint of chocolate. Cool.

The taste is very complex, yet balanced and smooth. The first very sour chemical flavour passes quickly leaving room for a fruity sweet note: Red apples, cherries, raspberries, strawberries… There is a mild sour note with some earthy flavours and a growing matured flavour of wood and strong wines. The aftertaste is fruity and sweet with a gentle low bitterness.

The carbonation is medium strong with lots of short-lasting small fresh bubbles. The liquid is creamy and a little bit thick.

I have never tasted anything like this. Much more fruity and matured than the fruit Lambics, still it is very sour and chemical.

02-17-2007 21:13:10 | More by bark
LiquidAmber

Washington

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Review from 8/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a dark red amber, moderate long lasting head and lacing. Fruit and sour aroma. Nice dark fruits with a rush of cherry, sour and sweetness in a well blended flavor. Sour and fruit finish. Wow. Sours aren't my favorite style, but this is excellent and beautifully made. I will buy again.

08-02-2012 18:29:22 | More by LiquidAmber
TheLongBeachBum

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Presentation: I have been in the US just over two years & never had this here, so when I spied a 4-Pack of this at a beer store weekend I was excited. I elected to cut down my beer expenditure though & just picked up a single – it was $3.79 for the 11.2 fl.oz bottle.

I noticed that the beer looked slightly different somehow, and then I realized that I was used to seeing a simple dark purple crown cap – my example had a black crown cap with the Verhaeghe coat of arms in gold on it.

Appearance: A filtered chestnut brown, dirty tan head comprised of incredibly small bubbles, fantastic smooth layered head. Excellent conditioning.

Nose: Rather delicate sour pong at first, with some aged port aspects.

Taste: Benefits immensely from the 18 months that this spends in maturation in the Brewery, often in large Oak Vats or smaller Casks. Fantastic zippy sour-sharp feel at first. It assaults you & punishes your acceptance of bland beer with a “WTF??” if you are not used to Flanders Reds. How this beer encapsulates diametrically opposed flavor profiles and yet remains incredibly well balanced is the work of masters - Awesome.

Mouthfeel: The beer dissolves on the tongue; lots of conditioning, velvety feel to the cheeks, sour & fruity cheek puller. Excellent.

Drinkability: Immense, you will want to drown in this spritzy sour baby, or throw up after the first mouthful. Has all the Drinkability of a traditional lambic, if you know what I mean.

Overall: I first came across this fine beer in 1994 during my first ever trip to Belgium & was completely blown away by its immense character. Our party was so impressed; we ended up arranging to visit the Brewery in 1995, where we had a guided tour & when I bought my first 24 bottle crate of this fine West Flanders Red. I drank the last of this in August 2001 when I came to the US – all I can say is that this beer is to Flanders Reds what Cantillon & Girardin are to lambics.

It is as good now, as it was in 1995, which is something the likes of comparable beers from Rodenbach cannot claim.

A Classic & @ $3.79 – It’s a Steal. WELL WORTH IT.

F**K! What a tight-wad I am,
I knew I should have purchased the 4-pack when I saw it.

10-20-2003 03:53:24 | More by TheLongBeachBum
jrallen34

3.65/5  rDev -12%

I drank this from a 750 ml bottle into a chalice.

This poured a light brown, almost a coca-cola that had its ice melted. It had a brown head that went away quickly with little lacing.

This beer is totally overwhelmed by its flavor which is dominated by vinegar. It is very tart with light notes of cherry.

It tastes ok, but the smell overshadows the taste. It is a light complex flavor, but nothing special for this red.

08-16-2009 00:53:04 | More by jrallen34
dgilks

Australia

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Rich sweet and sour aroma like good aged Balsamic. Slightly earthy. Very good.

Rich ruby red. Mostly clear. Small, creamy, tan head.

I can see why people don't like this. Rich, sticky balsamic vinegar. Some vinous fruit. Actually quite sweet. I really like this.

Full body with moderately high carbonation. Very sticky.

A tasty, tasty beer. Lots of good here and while not easy to drink, it's the sort of sour I'd be back for in an instant.

06-16-2010 07:41:08 | More by dgilks
cokes

Wisconsin

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

Cherried dark amber with a modest and slow-to-fade brown head.
Nose of raspberry vinaigrette, oak, and sugared red grapes.
Sweet and sour truly defines this. Like the sauce. You could dip chicken nuggets in this (actually, it's much more akin to German Sauerbraten in flavor, as opposed to McD's).
Alternatively, you could toss it on your salad, with it's screaming vinaigrette flavors.
This vinegar flavor is countered with brown sugar and cola syrup. Fruit notations too, caramelized plums, raspberries and cherries are foremost, but this seems to shift its shape enough for any number of fruit hues to be located. More brown sugar and cola midway. Tartness fades, and some light funk is introduced. Spoiling cream cheese, oak barrels, and perspiration. Ends with a crack of cinnamon and some lingering, sticky sweetness.
Light bodied and fizzy, yet a bit gooey as well.
There's a good deal that I like here, but it fails to coalesce into an enjoyable beverage. It's actually the sweetness here, rather than the sourness, that makes me wince.

04-30-2004 06:08:21 | More by cokes
nickfl

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

A - Two fingers of light brown head tops the clear, amber-brown body.

S - Sour and malty with a bit of caramel and pepper.

T - Sweet and sour. Fruity notes of black currants and lemon. Lots of malt and a bit of caramel.

M - Medium to light body and medium carbonation.

D - Very drinkable with a nice interplay between the sweet and sour flavors. Not too complex, but very satisfying.

06-05-2008 02:40:23 | More by nickfl
champ103

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a mahogany, almost dark brown color. A one finger beige head forms. Rings of sticky lace are left behind.
S: Wow! One of the most unique aromas I have come by. Buttery, musky, sour, tart malt. Some dark fruits and oak. Very unique and interesting. It doesn't quit mesh right for me, but I love how unique this is.
T: Buttery and sweet malt. Slightly sour fruits of apples and cherries. A tannin/wine like grape flavor with some oak. Some warming alcohol.
M/D: A medium body that is creamy and well carbonated. This is not that high in alcohol, though it is noticeable. Combine that with the sweet and sour character, one bottle is plenty for a night.

I have heard that this is very much like wine. I would have to agree with that opinion, and add that I would take this any day over wine. So complex, and very unique. This should be shown off to every wine geek to show the depth and range of this amazing beverage.

12-30-2008 03:41:11 | More by champ103
TurdFurgison

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into little hotel glasses. The beer was more brown than red and had an off-white almost brown foam. The smell was sour and had a hint of vinegar aroma (better than it sounds).

This is one of the better tasting Flanders Reds I've had. The flavor was sweet with a sour after-taste. Absolutely perfect pairing of flavors.

Get this beer if you like sour ales. I'd recommend it even if you think you don't like the style.

06-07-2006 01:04:11 | More by TurdFurgison
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautifully clear red/brown with a bubbly off white head that starts off strong but leaves us much too soon but sticks much lace on my glass. Smells of horsehair, must, oak, some berries, tart acidic. Taste is filled with all the wonderful things I smelled. I pick up the funk sweet and sour dried fruits, some vanilla, even a faint bourbon in there as well. Mouthfeel is syrupy, sticky, smooth. Body is medium, carbonation is low but ample. I wish I had tried this sooner as it is a fantastic sour and seems to be readily available in my area.

01-05-2009 23:18:29 | More by johnnnniee
woosterbill

Connecticut

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

11.2oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Lovely, clear ruby-amber body with an inch of frothy white head. Quick dissipation and almost no lacing. Nice color, but the head could use some work.

S: Straight-up acetic aroma: balsamic vinegar, cherry, and more vinegar. Pretty much as expected, but kind of boring.

T: Light vinegar, sweet fruit, and an acidic finish. Meh.

M: Light bodied yet sticky with pretty lively carbonation. Not especially pleasant.

D: Well, it's not like it's overly sour or intense, but it's just not that enjoyable to drink. I'd much rather quaff the stronger and more acidic Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Notes: While not a terrible beer by any stretch, this just isn't as good as, well, any other Flanders Red I've had - either Rodenbach, Ommegang Rouge, Willimantic Rodenzok, New Glarus Enigma, etc, etc. Too sweet and one-dimensional for my taste, but I can see how a lot of people could find it to be a good introduction to sours.

Cheers!

07-26-2010 23:17:47 | More by woosterbill
Alieniloquium

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

Appearance - Pours a deep mahogany with hints of red and a vigorous khaki head. The head bubbles away quickly leaving a thin layer of foam on the surface.

Smell - Sour cherries through and through. Some sweet aromas come through behind.

Taste - Surprisingly, the first flavor is sweetness and a lightness that I would expect in the finish. The sweetness, happily, is gone very quickly fading to a slight tartness. Not puckering, but enough to overcome the sweetness and give it a even a little bitterness.

Mouthfeel - I'm no sour expert, but what makes this one better than what I've had is that it doesn't have a sickly sweet finish. It's not dry, but the sourness holds out till the end.

Overall - As stated, I am no sour expert, but this is tasty, if not very complex. Single flavor going through, but a good flavor.

05-24-2011 13:21:17 | More by Alieniloquium
francisweizen

Arizona

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A very interesting and tasty Belgian beer. This beer pours a nice dark amber, hazy blood-reddish colour with a nice sized head. It has the aromas of oak, vinegar, sour fruit, tartness, horse blanket, and cherries. It tastes of tart flavors, oak, and cherries. It reminds me of Unibroues Quelque Chose mixed with Liefmans Goudenband. The mouthfeel is creamy and thick and the drinkability is good once you get past the sourness. This beer is a mix of a young beer and an aged beer. It is aged in oaken casks in Belgium. When this beer warms the flavors become more complex and the tartness is enhanced.
A classic example of this style, I am told. I would like to try more Flemish Reds!
Cheers!
-F

04-10-2003 12:05:34 | More by francisweizen
FosterJM

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

287th review on BA
bottle to flute
330ML capped (best by: 18/2/12)

App- A slightly hazy mix of light brown and some crimson. No real head developed on this one. A slight ring of bubbles around the edges.

Smell- Cheers, to the forums of BA for telling me exactly how this would smell. Soy sauce and vinegar. Was not the best smelling thing IMO.

Taste- I do have to say it tasted better than it smelled. It was a pleasant mix of sweet flavors (cherry) Tart and some other slight fruits.

Mouth- Was a bit thin to me but I was expecting that from the style. Very high carbed, like a nice spritzer Had a nice tart aftertaste

Drink- Not as bad as what I thought but for the top-20 rating in its style, I thought it was a nice suprice. Was nice to sip on while relaxing. Had a nice profile of sweet/tart flavors to it.

03-03-2011 16:54:40 | More by FosterJM
tpd975

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Another brew I have had umpteen times without a rate. Today is the day.

A: Pours a nice dark brown hue with amber tones. Nice tall cream colored head. Execellent retention with nice streaks of lace.

S: Lots of cherry both sweet and sour. Notes of oak as well. Simple but good.

T: When I am in the mood for a sweet treat I like to reach for this one. Tons of sweet cherry up front, with notes of candy sugar. The middle is where the oak comes through along with a touch of red wine vinegar. The sweetness does not let it shine but it does appear. In the finish there is a touch of tinny red wine and a hint of tartness. Mostly sweet through from start to finish.

M: Medium in body, smooth, wonderful carbonation.

D: Takes me awhile to put a bottle down but I can easily do it. Not an everyday beer for me, but a treat that I like to enjoy every once and awhile.

10-31-2009 14:57:06 | More by tpd975
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

330ml bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a clear brown colour with huge fizzy beige head. There appears to be a lower than normal amount of carbonation. There is some faint lacing, and the head lasted for a while.

Smell - Slightly metallic, vinegar, plums, a peppery spice mix

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a nice mouth feel, lots of little bubbles on the tongue. It feels very light - But it is definitely not light tasting. This beer packs a punch with a whole lot of various flavours going on. I have to say that I've never encountered a beer that tasted quite like this one. It reminds me of a glass of port mixed with champagne and beer. It tastes slightly metallic, lots of sweet grape flavour, and some woody notes. It finishes with a grape and metallic bitter aftertaste.

Drink - I have to say.. not one of my favorite beers. I can see how it might appeal to some, but this beer isn't for me.

09-24-2010 00:30:34 | More by spinrsx
LilBeerDoctor

Reviewed 2/23/08. Bottle. Pours a dark brown/red with a small thick, white head that persists. Leaves a thick lacing in the glass. Aroma of tart raspberries, sourness. After smelling this beer, I expected to drink a very tart, sour beer but I was surprised by this one! Taste is still sour, especially sour apple, but very sweet with apple, pear, other dark fruits, and oak This beer is more of a cross between a sour ale and a belgian ale, I think. For someone who doesn't particularly like sour ales, I loved this! So drinkable! I wish I had another bottle of this...
Aroma: 8/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 8/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 16/20
4.0/5

11-19-2008 13:39:12 | More by LilBeerDoctor
RedDiamond

Oregon

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

I enjoyed a stemmed wine glass of this West Flanders classic at a place called Heads Up Brewing in Silverdale, Washington. I thought perhaps this was a house beer as Heads Up is a BOP and all of their house beers are clones of popular beers from around the world. I should have known from the first sip that this was not a clone. This was the real thing.

The presentation was elegant with a saffron body sporting a tan head and clinging lace. The aroma swirled like a symphony of tart fruits and orange peel. The taste was also very fruity – almost like a fruit cola – with elements of orange, black cherry and huckleberry. It is sharply acidic and plainly tinged with some non-sacch- yeast and/or bacteria. This carries the initial sweetness towards a zesty resolve of biting acidic fruitiness.

Oak barrel aged and blended from young and old batches. This is a prince among ales – an absolute noble pedigree. And it drinks like fine wine.

08-27-2006 03:43:10 | More by RedDiamond