Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros

wibrewer, Mar 31, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a ruby red-brown with about one finger of head. Smells like tart cherries. Tastes like balsamic vinegar with cherries but, in a good way. It's crisp with a medium body mouth feel. The finish is tart and bitter that makes my mouth pucker. I will definitely buy this one again.

BellsFan, Mar 30, 2012

KevdoggNasty, Mar 28, 2012

ShinyHoppyMama, Mar 28, 2012

Squancho, Mar 26, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Bold, clear, reddish mahogany with a decent head and cap leaving behind some lacing. Ruby tinging in the light. Vinegar-astringence and some fruit: pear, cherry, apple. A slight whiff of that woody smell of a basement. Big, fruity and sour, this beer is a delicious mash of sweet and sour cherry and pear flavor. Some heat on the backburner. Puckering, smooth, dry, and a little spicy carbonation.

O: Loved it. Assertive, smooth and sour mash-up. Looking forward to trying more brown ales.

NardiByNature, Mar 26, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

jrfehon33, Mar 24, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

A- dark orange amber beer. Very clear with a good head on it and determined lacing.

S- some dark cherry and sour apples.

T- Tart up front with a funky finish. Very tart. Bitterness at the end starts by leaving a not so pleasant taste in the mouth but the more you drink it the better it gets.

M- Feels great. Good balance and smoothness. Right carbonation.

O- At first the finish didn't work for me. but the more I drank it the more accustomed I got to it. By the time I reached the end it was a pretty pleasant Flanders.

stckhndlr, Mar 24, 2012

ChrisTHE, Mar 23, 2012

TGCarr, Mar 22, 2012
4.73/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass. Pours reddish copper with a fluffy tan head that leaves behind plenty of lacing. The aroma is of vinegar and sour fruit (perhaps cherry or apple). It's funky. The flavor is tart up front with plenty of carbonation. I can taste some apple flavor. The sour flavor isn't overwhelming and plays well with the carbonation. The flavors are definitely interesting, but in a good way. It's medium bodied with proper carbonation. The finish is dry. This is a sipper due to the tartness, but it's an easy sipper. Overall, I'd rate this an excellent beer.

acevenom, Mar 21, 2012

jrohrbacher, Mar 21, 2012

Amp, Mar 21, 2012

notalumberjack, Mar 20, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Not sure when I first got into sours, but this beer doesn't dissapoint.

The Overall look of the beer is a satisfying deep red brown with a great tan head and lacing to match.

The smell is that of sour apples mixed slightly with wood.

The taste is fantastic, the sour notes hit first, the apple flavors come alive and bounce around the taste buds. It's a very tart beer.

The mouthfeel is great, the carbonation helps the beer feel light on the tongue and lets the sour notes float around the mouth. After the first sip, I can't wait to take another.

Overall, I've had this beer many times, I plan on having it again. It's currently my favorite sour.

lsummers, Mar 19, 2012

jpajpajeff, Mar 18, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

On tap at Republic. Not a style I know terribly well, but I likes me some sours, and the one FRA I had knocked my socks off.

Beautiful, deep red pour. A word to the wise though. Typically this is poured into a goblet, and the ruby red liquid in the goblet makes one look like a wine snob. Be careful where you order this, it might get you on the bidness end of an ass whupping.

Smell is vinegary, citrus, sour cherry, plenty of funk. Nice.

Taste is good, vinegar, apple, cherry. Good stu....wait a minute, what is that? That's a strange taste. Where have I had it before? With steak. Yes. It tastes like A-1! Really! Don't get me wrong, I like A-1, I just don't want to drink a goblet full of it.

Mouthfeel makes for smooth sipping.

Despite the steak sauce sensation I was able to enjoy this beer. But the off putting taste keeps it well short of being great.

lurpy1, Mar 17, 2012

wilfonzo, Mar 17, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

From notes on 03/02/12:
Best before 09/11/2013; Poured in a snifter.

A - Just under one inch of very light tan, finely carbonated head that doesn't stick around for too long; Deep dark maroon in color and seems to be clear when held to the light; Some patches of lacing here and there

S - I doubt I would have liked this a year or two ago, before what I know and appreciate now; I get a strong dose of sour aromas, vinegar, grapes, dark fruits, and acidity - reminiscent of any sour candy like Sour Patch Kids; I searched hard for some wood-like aromas and seem to get just a faint whiff of it; Just a touch of alcohol as well

T - I'm certainly not use to this - the taste is pretty sour and vinegary to be sure, especially up front with a good amount of puckering; Very brief but noticeable alcohol up front before the true tart/sour taste begins, and it does linger for quite a bit, though accompanied by some sweetness over time that does provide some balance; In addition to the sourness, are wine-like grapes, apples, cherries, mixed berries, dark fruits, and a good amount of acidity that add a bit of complexity

M - Quite a bit of zesty carbonation with a bit of vinegar burn; Medium bodied; A very drying and puckering beer that, as stated before, reminds me of the sensation associated with eating sour candy

O - This beer was my first ever sour, and while it was certainly an eye-opening experience, I still enjoyed getting to try a new beer within an unfamilar style. Even with the knowledge of what I was about to drink, I was still startled by the amount of sour/vinegar taste in this beer. That said, with each sip, my mouth started to adjust to the tartness, and the beer surprisingly became pretty addicitve. I don't think I could drink a beer like this too often, but am now looking forward to giving a few more sours a try in the future.

TechTriumph, Mar 15, 2012

DeerNick, Mar 15, 2012
4.59/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Duchesse de Bourgogne. Poured into its appropriate glassware. Bottle best before 02/09/2013.

Pours with a half-fingered light tan head. A little browner than I remember, not sure if it's from the aging (this bottle is from 2010). Ruby highlights amidst the brown body with a good bit of yeast murk. 3.5

Powerful red wine vinegar nose with bright tart cherry notes. Some sugars evident. Doses of mustiness and oak barrel, but not woody. More of a vanilla note. Pretty incredible. 4.5

Great tartness off the bat with some stale funkiness and rich sweet fruity character. Slight metallic finish, not unlike sucking on a nickel. Red wine vinegar, burgundy, tart cherry, strawberry, underlying vanilla, and oak. What's so impressive is the fruit character and the lovely vinous red wine flavor. Not powerfully vinegary like Rodenbach, not attenuated like Bacchus, just a perfectly exemplary and delicious rendition of the style. Classic taste and perplexing complexity. 5.0

Smooth and spritzy. Great carbonation bite. A real burper. Not overdone. The sour character is ideal. We've already established that Duchesse tastes great, and it feels great, too. 4.0

Incredible beer, and highly recommended for Belgian lovers. One of my all-time favorites. A beer I pay full-price for and know I'm getting a treat every time. Great fresh, great with a few years on it. An amazing Flanders Red. 5.0

thecheapies, Mar 15, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

"Best before 09/11/2013" printed on bottle.

A slightly aggressive pour got me a little over a finger of tan head. The body is a deep brown with red-orange hues to it. The head dissipates rather quickly, but leaves a thick healthy ring up top with a little dusting. Some lacing noted during enjoyment.

Sour vinegar and light funk are the first aromas noted. Also noted sour fruits including apples, white grapes and baking cherries.

Sour vinegar and funk start this off in the mouth, much like the nose. The continues on with the sour apple and grapes earlier noted, then makes a nice transition over to a sweet cherry flavor with notes of vanilla and black berries. Sourness stays with you the whole course of the ber, but when the sweetness kicks in it really changes it up.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. It is highly carbonated, and it is assumed that this keeps it from getting sticky and/or syrupy as beers that get this sweet can become.

As sour beers aren't really my cup, this one surprised me in being more than quite enjoyable. It is light, fruity and pleasant. It is rather inoffensive and likely a good start for introducing people to beers with a more sour side to them.

CFHMagnet, Mar 14, 2012