Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
Squelch

United Kingdom (England)

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: Dark Plum colored. Off white head. Slight lacing. Beautiful beer.

Smell: sweet cherries, prunes, candy.

Taste: Sour cherries, prunes, bubble gum. Wonderful

Mouthfeel: Light and tart. puckering. Sour.

Overall: One of my favorites. This beer is exceptional. Balanced and complex at the same time.

08-16-2011 18:24:49 | More by Squelch
HumanParaquat

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Props to the marketing department...beautiful artwork on the bottle, capturing that whole Flemish Renaissance vibe. Pours a deep, dark burgundy red with an off white head. Leaves some good spotty lacing.

Apple cider vinegar, pears and grapes in the nose...very wine-like. There are also some subtle oaky notes detectable along with chocolate and cinnamon.

Tastes of cherries and red currants up front with a healthy dose of vinegar. Finishes long and dry with a tart pomegranate/cranberry acidity. A very nice balance between sweet and sour. Alcohol is well-hidden.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and tingly with good presence of carbonation. Mildly sticky and quite puckering. Takes on a smoother, more elegant feel as it warms.

One of the best Flemish Reds I've tried. I imagine this could be a gateway beer for wine lovers and girlfriends.

08-15-2011 01:21:34 | More by HumanParaquat
SDDanC

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured into tulip from tap at sd toronado. Pours a dark brown with a small bit of amber. Creamy, but thin, egg white head that does not linger very long. Nose is spice, vanilla, and sour yeast. On the tongue it has a very smooth and sweet vanilla taste that coats the mouth. Sourness is subtle but comes out most in the middle then gives way to the vanilla and dark fruits. Mouthfeel is great, comfortable carbonation that compliments the toned down sourness.

Overall, awesome beer, nice switch from the fruity, tart sours

08-12-2011 05:15:28 | More by SDDanC
Pencible

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Bottle dated 3/3/13

A: This poured a clear mahogany with moderate white head.
S: It smelled like strong apple cider vinegar, with lots of funk and a bit of oak and metallic.
T: It tasted like tart apple cider vinegar, with lots of funk and a little sour oak and sweet brown sugar and metallic. It had a clean tart aftertaste.
M: It was watery with some carbonation. Nice and slick.
D: This was more like apple cider vinegar than beer, but it was very clean and enjoyable. The aftertaste was mellow, so it was relatively easy to drink. It could probably improve with age, but it's very enjoyable fresh.

08-12-2011 01:37:42 | More by Pencible
BoozySmurf

2.8/5  rDev -32.7%

My first sour, enjoyed before dinner with my wife and our friends. Poured into a tulip glass with a murky reddish-brown color. Lighting at Falls Taproom isn't great though. Head was white and substantial. Smells a bit musty, malty sweetness also, and a hint of vinegar. Overall light aroma, nothing overpowering. Flavor was initially sweet and sour, mostly sour and sort of a balsamic quality. This flavor, while pleasant, departed quickly and the aftertaste was musty. Sort of like a wet dog smell that lingers on the palate. I've experienced this in the past (most notably with Arrogant Bastard) and my guess is that certain hops disagree with me. Unfortunately the aftertaste is what lingered. Mouthfeel was a little sticky, but light. Overall impression was disappointing. I was looking forward to a mouth-puckering vinegar experience (I loves me some deli pickles) but the aftertaste overwhelmed the initial sour flavors. This was my first "sour" so I'll probably try it again. Geez though they're always so damn expensive!

08-07-2011 04:00:24 | More by BoozySmurf
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Dark brown/burgundy color. with an off-white head that leaves solid lacing patterns.

S - Musty fruit, balsamic, raspberries, wet grass, cherries, lacto, old wood.

T - Candy sweet up front than turns tart with a mineral sweetness, tangy cherries, tart apple skins, over ripe fruit, there's a rich malt backbone underneath. Finishes acidic.

M - Moderate carbonation, soft and smooth feel.

More tart than sour. Nicely balanced with a solid malt backbone.
This is a good beer to have around for a celebration.

08-05-2011 22:56:03 | More by StaveHooks
avaldivia

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

I have a soft spot in my heart for this beer, as it is the beer that got me into sours. On Tap, poured into a Duchesse De Bourgogne glass.

A: Nice light reddish color. Almost pink when held up to the light. Decent head but that disappears fairly quickly.

S: Tart black cherries. Nice tingle of the nose. A lot of people say vinegar, but I just don't get vinegar in this.

T: This is where this brew shines. Tart upfront and lingers for a bit before giving way to to a crisp smooth finish. Tastes linger on the palate, which I really enjoy.

M: Very well carbonated. Light body. about what you would expect. Not overly tart to make your mouth pucker.

O: it is thanks to this beer that I like sours, and it is still probably the one I buy most often.

07-27-2011 15:38:30 | More by avaldivia
SmokinSmyth

1.27/5  rDev -69.5%

Poured into a Tulip glass, nice big head, minimal lacing, brown color.

Aroma is strong, vinegar and another sour are in the majority.

Taste - just not for me. I see the good ratings, but this is a rare beer for me, in that I didn't finish it, and actually poured it down the sink. My children were shocked. Tasted way too much like vinegar for me, and I checked the date, the bottle had another year to go.

Mouthfeel - didn't really register as I didn't want in my mouth after my tongue had gotten hold of it.

07-23-2011 19:32:04 | More by SmokinSmyth
scottfrie

Duchess de Bourgogne
750ml bottle poured into Jackie O’s snifter. Exp. 11/2012.
A: Pours a dark cranberry with a half-inch of light tan head that fizzed away to a thin collar that left tiny specs of lacing down the glass.
S: Musty dry notes of damp basement, wood/oak, cranberries, dark cherries and a whiff of vinegar. There are also sweeter notes of sweet cherry juice.
T: A touch medicinal in its fruitiness. Not very sweet; the sweetness is fruit juice-like and subtle. I get a bit of acetone, and there is also no sour, but a very light tartness comes out in the finish similar to cherry skins. Notes of sweet raisins and a bit of oak also poke through.
M: Amply, tingly carbonation froths up on my palate. The body is medium-light with a light but syrupy mouthfeel. Tannins are low, but the finish is lightly dry.
O: Enjoyable but subtle. This beer has great flavors but I wish they were a little more potent. Very easy drinking.

07-21-2011 23:23:38 | More by scottfrie
Mebuzzard

Colorado

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

I had this on tap years ago and have not tried it since. This time it was in a bottle....

Pours a shiny hazelnut brown, reddish glows. Tan head, bubbly...looks like cola a bit.

Aroma isn't as strong as I remembered the tap version. Cherries, new leather, caramel, candied sugar, and some apple.

Sourness just isn't there, perhaps a bit of pucker though. It's foremost flavors remind me of apple cider, sweet cider. Some cherry/apple tartness. Tannins here and there. Caramel in the nose is almost gone in the taste. No flavors are bad or off-putting, but none are outstanding either.
I'd drink it again, probably

07-21-2011 06:17:31 | More by Mebuzzard
PhageLab

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured into a tulip.

A - Gorgeous cedar coloration with a deep ruby hue. Produced a nice bit of froth and laced magnificently. Retention was on point. No room for improvement in the looks department.

S - Sugary malts, vinegar, and something a bit sour. Quite interesting.

T - Intense sour flavor with a hint of oak. There is some sweet malt backing, but not enough to help the raw taste of vinegar.

M - Light bodied and dry with a low carbonation level. Causes an odd feeling in the back of my throat, which reminds me of bad wine.

D - Too much for me. I have several friends who love this stuff and recommended it several times, but I can't get on the same page. Interesting brew, but not one for me.

07-18-2011 23:21:19 | More by PhageLab
tlazaroff

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

A: This pours a very deep deep and ultra clear burgundy red. It's head is a slight off-white color. This beer is breathtaking to look at.

S: As I opened and poured the beer a huge almost cherry-like aroma almost over-took me. Upon closer inspection I was able to confirm this. There are many different dark fruits on the nose, but cherry takes the cake here. There is a noticeable sourness to the smell.

T: Huge sour cherry notes here in a background of light plum. The sourness is there, but not extreme and not subtle either. This beer tastes perfect and it is quite a religious experience.

M: This is so smooth, with low carbonation and a nice medium body. The sourness doesn't detract from the mouthfeel either.

D: To me, this has such low drinkability because I want to enjoy it. That said, it's extremely drinkable.

07-18-2011 00:33:56 | More by tlazaroff
goblue3509

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a dark brown reddish color which when held up to light gives off a deep dark ruby red color. The beer is clear with strong visible carbonation and a slim head. Nice lacing is left of the glass. The aroma is big and hits you hard a nice vinegar smell rounded out by dark fruits sour cherries and plums. The taste is almost exactly like a champagne and white wine mix. The is a sour cherry tatse but also a green sour apple and white grape taste with a hint of oak at the back end. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean again this beer has the feel of champagne in your mouth. Overall this is a great beer nice big aroma and great taste.

07-17-2011 14:10:29 | More by goblue3509
afrokaze

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into a snifter.

A - Deep ruby brown with 2 fingers of pillowy head that sticks around with nice lacing.

S - Lots of stone fruit, especially ripe cherries & tart peaches, lemon citrus. Soft bready malt, mix of vinegar acidity & slight sweetness.

T - Tart edge of lime citrus mixed with some vinegar tartness. Malt is subdued but balances acid with soft bready notes. Finish is long but sweeter than expected, with more stone fruit, similar to plums & nectarines. Some woodiness comes out as it warms & mixes nicely with wine-like character.

M - Great mix of tart edge that attacks the tastebuds & creamy softness in the aftertaste. Crisp & very refreshing.

O - My favorite Flanders Red thus far. Reminds me of Rodenbach Grand Cru but even smoother; sourness is nicely sharp but kept in check well by oak aging. Sublime.

07-17-2011 05:49:46 | More by afrokaze
ZenAgnostic

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

1 pint 9.4oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Cork printed Exp 6/2012.

Appearance - Foggy but with no particulate matter. Dark brown with a hint of amber. Thick, fine cream head.

Smell - Gueuze sourness. Slight abbey ale body, dark overripe fruit and noticeable alcohol.

Taste - Complex. Balanced. Slight to moderately sour body. sweet acidity keeps it from going to far in that direction. With a bit of alcohol in the finish. Leaves a vinous aftertaste, but not unpleasant.

Mouthfeel - Light texture and crisp due to the light, frothy carbonation. Almost like a lambic or champagne. Medium-full body.

Overall Drinkability - This is my first from this style, so I was careful with the ratings to leave room for the possibility of a better beer in style. After trying a few more, I'll come back and rate this one, but as a beer I'd give it all 5's.

07-17-2011 05:09:52 | More by ZenAgnostic
Fatheranderson

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

This was my first Flanders Ale, and it was a rather interesting beer. Expiration was 12/2012

Appearance: Burgundy. Thick, dark burgundy that reminds me somewhat of a good Irish Red.

Smell: Strong nose of cherry, hint of bubblegum, slight floral bouquet.

Taste: Overwhelming taste of sour cherry, which is complimented extremely well by a hint of malt. My only complaint is that the cherry comes on a little too strong. Toning it back a bit and maybe adding a tiny bit of hops would make it perfect.

Mouthfeel: Thick, juicy, smooth. Feels like velour in the mouth (yes, I watched Futurama while drinking this... and Zap Brannigan's catch phrase stuck with me...)

Overall: The only improvement I could suggest is toning back the cherry a little bit. Otherwise, it's an absolutely superior brew.

07-09-2011 14:10:02 | More by Fatheranderson
davey101

Connecticut

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Best by date of 30/03/2013. 11.2 oz bottle poured into a chimay goblet after being in the fridge for an hour.

A - Deep red/brown with an off white head.

S - Huge vinegar aroma. Sour cherries, oak, and some malts

A - Silky smooth mouth feel. Lots of sweet cherries and oak, with a great sour vinegar finish. I can taste some malts and yeast in there as well.

O - One of the best Flemish ales I've had. This is a very good example of the style and it drinks really well on a hot summer day.

07-08-2011 23:10:06 | More by davey101
ElizabethCraig

Indiana

Purchased this as recommended by an employee at Siciliano's in Grand Rapids, MI.

Medium Brown/red in color, very clear. Lovely tan head with nice bubbly microfoam.

Scent: Raspberry sour, this sour made my stomach gurgle and my mouth salivate all through the smelling and drinking =)

Taste: Starts out a medium molasses/sorgham and goes immediately to a medium sweet raspberry, then to a VERY sweet raspberry. The aftertaste is a nicely sour caramel malty taste. No fruit in the immediate aftertaste. After around 3 minutes the taste is a very wine-like tanniny grape.

Fairly high carbonation, carries the sour flavor into being and then just leaves the sour.

The ABV isn't high, but the combination of the higher carbonation and the sweet taste is very heady.

I love this beer. I will seek this out and drink this again =)

07-04-2011 22:18:04 | More by ElizabethCraig
mikestan06

Oklahoma

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

My first sour - picked up a 12 oz. bottle on recommendation in Dallas. Poured into clear tulip glass.

Pours a dark reddish-brown with a tight tan head. Lasts throughout the glass - 10 minutes on and still sitting strong! Sticky lacing coats the side of the glass.

Smell is sweet, dark cherry and fruits? Taste is tart, almost mouth-puckeringly. Cherry and fruit come in strong. Like melted lifesavers.

Sticky in the mouth, really clings to the tongue. Little to no carbonation makes for smooth drinking.

07-04-2011 00:47:40 | More by mikestan06
uno99

Ontario (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev +1%

This might be the most available Flanders Red in the states, but here in Canada this is hard to come by (or any other Flanders for that matter). This is by chance available in a local bar, but I happened to get this one in a trade.

Poured at 55 degrees into the center of a Lucifer goblet.

A: a tightly foamed head quickly forms as the beer is poured. Almost one finger in height. Lacing is really good, and sticks to the glass like glue. Head seems to stick around for a while as well; it settles into soapy, clumpy mess on top of the beer. Body is deep mahogany -- almost rosewood.

S: This is maybe the 4th Flanders Red I've ever sampled, so I dont know the style super well, but this could be the most "in your face" example I've had. Yes there's some sourness; curdled milk or off ranch dressing, but it's also quite malty and sweet. The oak comes through pretty well but not a dominate figure in the crowd. I would say this is all about the medium colored fruits and cherry sweetness. Strip the sour note away and you might even convince someone its Dr. Pepper.

T: Sweetness is upfront, but sourness pulls a good showing. Lots of fruit suggestions as well as earthy and nutty hints. Quite complex actually.

M: Quite a sweet and sticky mess in the middle, but a little dry on the edges. Would be a good dessert type beer, not a main course pairing choice.

Overall: I really enjoyed this one, and might actually be my favorite Flanders Red.

06-30-2011 01:59:23 | More by uno99
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

I know this is one of the more available Flanders Red Ales and respected by some, but its just not my style.

Pour is a crystal clear red ale in color with a white to light tan head.

Aroma is of sour cream, sweet malt, slight sweet fruit aromas and the funky flemish oak barrel.

Taste is everything in aroma however a higher sour cream concentration. The sweetness is slightly surprising I guess in that this beer is not overly sour. It is really just a sweet funk mixed with sour cream taste and sweet malt with a slight fruit presence. I really did not like Monks Flemish ale, and this is definitely a step in the right direction from that beer. There are some redeemingly fresh tastes to this one that I can definitely enjoy on a hot afternoon after a long run.

Mouthfeel is light and lighter than I like for the style however this makes it more drinkable in my book and less of a sipper.

Overall pretty good

06-29-2011 00:27:56 | More by alpinebryant
Klym

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Had on-tap at The Rake in London. Review from notes.

A: Pours a malt-vinegar esque deep red/brown with a respectable head. Appearance is complex and intriguing.

S: Smells of grape and cherry sweetness with a vinegary sting to it. Smells like it might be rather biting.

T: Wow. I've had Duchesse a couple of times from the bottle before and this is just totally different. In my previous experiences the vinegar dominated and the sweetness was a little hard to dig out. This time, the highest quality of sweet grapeskins beautifully layered the taste throughout, with small hints of other fruits like rich cherry. A vinegarish bite came toward the end but added a sort of crispness and fighting spirit to the taste. Really lovely.

M: Great mouthfeel; an excited carbonation with a viscocity that makes it run throughout your mouth at the appropriate rate and with just the right feel for the proper taste experience.

O: Having this on tap really caught me off guard and made me realize the dangers posed by getting this post international shipping. This is an awesome beer and already well worth getting in a bottle-- getting it on tap is a must if its available to you. Hats off to the Duchesse de Bourgogne.

06-26-2011 22:54:44 | More by Klym
Cavery

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

750 ML bottle into the official Duchesse De Bourgogne glass, straight proper. Shared with SundaySour on this Friday night.

Bottle indicates best before the end of the world, check.

A: Deep dark black opal, this is how I'd imagine a dragon's eyeball to look. Dark reds, earthy browns, and prismatic oils shimmer underneath a half finger head. The brew is at about ~45F, so I can't blame the Duchesse for rocking a pixie cut. Solid speckled lacing gets her a nice set of side-burns, the andro-look.

S: Grenadine covered cherry skins dominate the front, while a smell of old rules the middle. When I sniff this beer I get a visual: cobwebs in a rusty pipe, covered with a mixture of sherry and lingenberry jam. An unusual transition of the tartness leans toward gojji berries. A complex but very clean nose.

T: Cherry skins, lime, and a bittering carob. A dash of balsamic vinegar makes this an ultimate beet salad pairing. So sweet and so light, a crisp pink lady apple bite keeps me praising the Duchesse. How is all that flavor in there? Vinegar acidity increases with the temperature. This is just like fine salad dressings, you want to try and get just the right amount in your mouth. Too big of a gulp and you'd hate it, too little and you'd be left wanting. The challenge is taking that perfect rip.

M: Just so buttery smooth, the carbonation is so strong yet restrained. A master class in mouthfeel, the liquid levitates in your mouth above so many layers of bursting bubbles that you swear it never makes contact with your mouth. The Duchesse is a witch, burn her. But you can't, because you love her.

O: This really is just a classic. Definitely one of those beers you introduce to a new drinking buddy as an introduction to sour styles. The execution of this flanders is so clean and crisp, that to dislike it is as unholy as disliking your grandmother's apple-pie. Avoid such blasphemies, and take your time with this one. Explore the different flavor experiences to be had with different sized mouthfuls. Notice how she can be as sweet as you want her to be, and as tart as you want her to be. Revisit this one a few times before you come to any conclusions about it, each bottle is a variation on a theme. It's ever so sensitive to temperature and glassware, give her the care she needs. After many dates, hopefully you'll come to see her as the beautiful siren that she is.

06-25-2011 03:25:09 | More by Cavery
SundaySour

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

A: A misty deep red like the skies above Mordor with a thin white head and some fabulous lacing. You know this beer is about to get real.

S: The smell is distinctly a cherry covered in dust. It sounds gross, but it isn't. Think of all the highly romantic and yummy smelling dusty places; like a haunted house or the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. You love that smell.

T: By far the most delicious, life-changing sour I've ever had. Tart cherries blowing up in my mouth like the Grand Finale on the 4th of July. Uncooked pie dough crust, raspberries, and pomegranate all come through. It has a lightly sweet finish, and things got a little weird when I tasted angel kisses and sunbeams. HOW CAN BEER TASTE LIKE THIS? O wild yeast, my Lord and Master!

M: Crisp and tart, like new money.

O: This is currently my favorite pick for a sour, beer, AND a beverage. It never lets me down with it's crispy tart holiness and mouth-watering goody goodness. Sometimes I wake up in the night and cry out for a glass of Duchesse, screaming until the dawn. "Duchesse! Duchesse!" It must be tasted to be believed.

06-25-2011 02:45:20 | More by SundaySour
bonemuse07

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Day #4 of a "A Beer a Day" for summer.

A: Two fingers of cream head on a brilliant reddish/brownish body. Beautiful thick lacing all around the glass that lingered throughout.

S: cherry, apple, and a plenty of vinegar. I was worried that it would have too much of a vinegar-y taste

T: But, it turns out there wasn't too much to worry about. It was dry. There was some tartness, but more sweet than tart. Apple, apple, and more apple to me. very smooth and inoffensive to drink.

M: Light, crisp, with lots of sweet carbonation. A slightly tart/vinegar coating on the tongue was the only aftertaste.

O: This went down really smoothly. I've just come off a bit of a wild ale kick, having just had a Supplication the other night. I was expecting something heavier, but was pleasantly surprised. This was a great beer after a long day. Will definitely enjoy the rest of the four-pack.

06-24-2011 03:08:22 | More by bonemuse07