Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

11.2oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Lovely, clear ruby-amber body with an inch of frothy white head. Quick dissipation and almost no lacing. Nice color, but the head could use some work.

S: Straight-up acetic aroma: balsamic vinegar, cherry, and more vinegar. Pretty much as expected, but kind of boring.

T: Light vinegar, sweet fruit, and an acidic finish. Meh.

M: Light bodied yet sticky with pretty lively carbonation. Not especially pleasant.

D: Well, it's not like it's overly sour or intense, but it's just not that enjoyable to drink. I'd much rather quaff the stronger and more acidic Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Notes: While not a terrible beer by any stretch, this just isn't as good as, well, any other Flanders Red I've had - either Rodenbach, Ommegang Rouge, Willimantic Rodenzok, New Glarus Enigma, etc, etc. Too sweet and one-dimensional for my taste, but I can see how a lot of people could find it to be a good introduction to sours.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Jul 27, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap @ the Beer Engine. This is my sweetheart's go-to beer for kegs and eggs! Gotta love that!!

Looks decent - reddish color with a nice small head. Just nothing outstanding.

Smell is good - for the style, I find this to be one of the more appetizing noses as some Flanders reds are rather putrid. This smells of vinegar, cherries, and oak.

Taste is also quite nice. Really sweet, with the balsamic vinegar and cherry notes dominating. I get a touch of belgian malt and some oak, also a hint of lemon - otherwise, it's a straight-ahead sour vinegary cherry fest of a beer.

Mouthfeel is this beer's strongest suit IMO. Light, crisp, and perfectly carbonated. The finish is rather remarkable as well.

Overall, I dig this beer, it's everything a Flanders Red should be. A touch too sweet for revisiting a few times in a sitting. But a nice sour and something that has served as a bridge into the genre for many.

jampics2, Jul 26, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Rich and long red ale.

Presentation: 750 ml green corked bottle. Stylized screen printed label with the name of the brew printed vertically and a small icon with a classic Flemish image of the Duchesse with a bird at the bottom. Back label offers a brief narrative going over history, local context, intent, and composition. Shows best before date printed on the cork (jan 2012), and Alc. by Vol. (6%) Served in a wine glass.

A - Deep red-brown pour with a generous bubbly head, fair retention with a small surface ring, and touches of lace.

S - Sweet and sour fruit, with a soft tart sense around fermented apples, a bit acidic.

T - Rich fruity sourness, tart memories of raw cider, acidic yeasty touch. Nice and long range with dark sugary fruits, and a light citric touch.

M - Light-medium body with good carbonation, generous early on and with a good tingly retention in the finish. Nice acidic dry, and fairly clean finish.

D - Great complex red ale, nicely rounded and pleasing.

Notes: This is a very nice red ale, very similar out of the blue to the Rodenbach Grand Cru, maybe a side by side tasting would open up a rich range of differences. Maybe the biggest difference is in the final vinous long range that may be missing here and instead a fruity range takes over, but this does not hinder the quality of either brew.
Again memories of fermented apples in a complex fruity range similar to some raw ciders from Northern Spain.

Daniellobo, Jul 25, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

bottle poured into snifter.

a - dark brownish red liquid with a light tan head.

s - sour cherries and vinegar.

t - quite tart, but still has a good malt backbone. a little more sweetness than I was expecting, but its not bad. cherry fruit flavor is big.

m - big carbonation, medium to light body.

overall - very tasty flanders. extremely easy to drink.

levifunk, Jul 25, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

One of my favorites! I've had it many times, so now that I have decided to review beers on this site, here goes!

750ml - if at home, I'll go for a snifter.

A - dark ruby red w/ a brownish tint. Head fades fast to lots of beautiful lacing.

S - sour cherries, balsamic vinegar, berries...very fruity. Sweet malts in the back. Smell is almost as good as the taste.

T - delightful. Sour cherries again, fruity, but still tastes like a beer...almost like a lambic, but better. It's sour, but not overly, not to the point of puckering. I enjoy the restraint w/ the sourness...could have been a bit sweeter, but I'm not complaining.

M - great carbonation (which I generally love). Light-to-medium body...very easy.

D - couldn't be better. I can put away a 750ml bottle of this like nobody's business & probably do at least once a month. It's not too sour, so I'd absolutely recommend it to someone who's getting started on this style.

fragilehearted, Jul 18, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

(Poured into a goblet.)
It poured a deep translucent dark cherry. I Poured a 1" head that slowly fizzled away leaving a nice lace that stuck to the walls of the glass.

Aroma: sweet balsamic vinegar and tart fruit mixed with oak.

Taste: there seemed to be a few flavors at work. There was a tartness similar to granny smith apples, as well as, sweet oak balsamic characteristics mixed with sour cherries. There was also a champagne quality in the background, along with a slight caramel malt. A pleasant sour finish and aftertaste. The taste changed as it got warmer; the tartness mellowed and it became sweeter. Overall it was like a symphony of flavors with each one having its moment followed by all of them working in concert. It is not to often that you get a beer where each drink is unique.

While I don't think I could drink this everyday, the Duchesse is one of my favorite Belgians, and it is definitely worth a try. I would probably drink this on special occasions, or just because it's Tuesday. I would recommend it while having some form of bleu cheese.

LacquerHead, Jul 13, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a Belgian glass. "Best before" date of 3-3-12.
Pours an attractive ruby color with an off-white-tan head, which persisted with a 1/8" presence throughout drinking. Left some thick and immobile lacing.
Smells were a little odd, I picked up tamarind and fruit candy, and a weird rubbery note.
Tasted like cherry Jolly Rancher, strawberry jam, and thick fruit syrup, like the kind you make snow cones with. Maybe the merest hint of tartness, but it is way unbalanced by all the sweetness.
The texture was pretty highly carbonated yet syrupy at the same time.
Thick and cloying. I'm having a hard time finishing one.
No real tartness, oak character, or yeast notes to speak of for me, just overly sweet thick fruit flavors.

busternuggz, Jul 13, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This was my first notably sour beer to date. I enjoyed it much more thnan I thought I would. It was almost to the edge of undrinkable with it's dominant vinegar character. It was just edgy enough where it kept me sipping more to revist the cherry, fruit and tart notes whispering out of my snifter.

Appearance was ruby red with brillant clarity. Excellent head, retention and lace.
Smell is a bold balsamic and cider vinegar reduction wafting with some red wine and dark fruits (most notably cherries).
Taste as it smells, fruity red wine character greeted by your childhood easter egg dyes of yesteryear. Repeats mellowed balsamic reduction memories over and over again, in a good way, but almost overdone. Almost overdone, but not quite.
Mouthfeel is sour. Tart. Sharp. Medium body & carbonation. Wow this is a very curious and moving target taste.

On the drinkability...
2 of us slit the small bottle. My wife couldn't finish hers. I was hesitant at first, but gladly finished hers up as I warmed up with this strange concotion. In the future I would gladly split a bottle with someone for the right meal, but would not do it solo or too frequently. I would pursue this with the right food pairing or when I have a sour beer craving (a new concept altogether as of today, thanks to Duchesse!)

Seems like it would god very well with a rich steak, salty meats, subtle balsamic salads or nuts.

unclejimbay, Jul 12, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Dated best buy 3/2012.

Pours a clear, reddish brown with a finger of tan head; large bubbles, fast fading head, but copious lacing.

A sour vinegar aroma wrapped around papaya, oranges, sweet cherries, and musty funk.

Very sweet, sugary cherry juice and some mild tartness. Plum, oak (which rounds out the flavor profile), vanilla, and bitterness that tingles throughout but remains way in the background. Funky brett enters in the middle and finish ends acidic, and fruity sweet. Sweetness is very prominent, even a tad too much, but the flavor interplay still yields good drinkabilty.

Effervescent, light body that pops on the tongue, with a low to medium level of carbonation that is both refreshing and a touch tongue drying. If I really look I can pick up some milk chocolate notes, but it's a stretch.

I would imagine some age would dry this beer out and make it a truly delicious experiences that isn't quite so sweet.

TheJollyHop, Jul 12, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

An interesting taste... Light drinkable, good. Poured reddish brown with a reddis hint of tan head. Smell kind of reminds me of soy sauce. Taste is complicated with various fruits and vinegar noticable. Sort of slick to the tongue Pretty drinkable for such an odd flavor and smell/

hdofu, Jul 09, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

The Duchess! One of the most complex and refreshing low ABV beers I have ever experienced. I've enjoyed this and Rodenbach Grand Cru on multiple occasions and have decided that as far as the Flanders heavyweights go, this is my favorite. On to the review.

The appearance is crystal clear ruby-garnet body with a two finger tan head that is made of very tight champagne like bubbles that quickly dissipate to the wisp collar that is typical of a beverage with champagne like carbonation. Minimal lacing shows up. 4/5

Aroma is heavy on red-wine vinegar with a touch of red stone fruits. Medicinal qualities and that "band aid" thing show up but works well with the aceitic character. 4/5

Puckering, sour, vinegar poured from oak barrel dance across the tongue as the taste builds. Each sip builds on the previous. Some sweet cherry shows up at the mid-way point and delights the senses. There's more to this beer that I just can't explain. The experience is one to be savored. The Duchess clearly dominates Rodenbach at this juncture. 4/5

Mouthfeel is pure champagne. Soft soothing carbonation slides across the palate with a delicate nature that no other beer can equal. The perfect score is the result. 5/5

Drinkability is through the roof! The mouth puckering quality of this is spectacular and makes me want that next sip that much faster! Every time I have this beer I try to enjoy it slowly but it screams to be drunk fast. Another perfect score! 5/5

My wife has told me that if we ever renew our vows, The Duchess is going to make an appearance at the toast. It really is that good and classy. Try this now! Beer will never seem the same to you again!

hopsbreath, Jul 02, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -5%

750ml bottle

A Red and clear. Light head, some lacing, but the head didn't stay for long.

S There are figs, anise, sugary and fruity aromas. There is no indication of hops at all.

T Sweetness and fruitiness dominate. Some raspberry or tart strawberry flavors, and currants and green apples. This is a clean beer that finishes clean with no off flavors.

M Light to medium body, low carbonation eliminates that bite for balance.

O This would be a good apertif beer, I simply prefer a little less fruit. That is not to say this is a bad beer, it is quite good and full of fruit flavors. For those so inclined, you will like this beer. Too sweet for diehard hop fans but good for the Belgian beginner.

boss302, Jun 27, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle (with a best before date of 30-11-11) into a Bitburger branded footed pilsner glass.

A: Brownish amber with a small head with good lacing.

S: Chocolate, wood, cloves and somewhat sweet and vinegary.

T: Sour and bready but really well balanced with sweet woodiness. There's a real distinct berry/wine flavor in the aftertaste that is real nice as well.

M: Medium bodied and rich with nice carbonation.

D: Real easy to drink, but as much as I enjoyed this one, I wouldn't have more than one or two in an evening.

DeanMoriarty, Jun 27, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

A: A brown pour but Dark Ruby Brown in the glass. Just beautiful color and clarity. Nice off white head on the top, which gently settles into a foam, then bubbles with a stronger ring.

S: Slightly tart with oak notes, and vinegar. Some raspberry or other dark berries in there as well.

T: Tart at first, but this leads to a sweet berry flavor. Tart at first, but not overpowering, then a gently, though strong sweet flavor. Absolutely interesting and one of a kind.

M: Very nice. Clean on the palate, no weird aftertastes. Carbonation is extremely high, though that works for this style. Perhaps a little harshness in the back of the throat as it warms.

D: Just a very nice beer. Both aggressive and mellow. A strange combination, and one I wish I had a few more bottles of. Very nice.

Beejay, Jun 24, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured a syrup colored reddish brown, clear, with about an inch of creamy sandy head that leaves a bit of lacing. I am really excited for this one. Smell, however, is a bit of a let-down, I actually get a bit of booze (at 6%??), some medium roasted malts, and a bit of pear, apples, and vinegar. It's not as strong as I had hoped, and the booze in it is a little disconcerting.

Taste is pretty good. I must say that I prefer Monk's Cafe, though I'm starting to understand why MC is not a good example of this style. The tart, sour, and vinegar of MC are way over-the-top compared with Duchesse. It's got a nice apple cider vinegar kick to start, drifting into a nice smooth brown ale. The subtlety of the different aspects of this beer are pretty nice. The brown malts to it though get to be a bit cloyingly sweet, very syrupy.

MF is decent, a bit prickly, medium bodied, dry finish. Not as dry as I would have preferred, however. Sweetness on the back end of this one gets in the way of the drinkability, though this is a nicely crafted Flanders.

LordAdmNelson, Jun 23, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

I'll be honest, I really love this beer. I've had it several times before, but never had an opportunity to sit down and really give it its proper review. Time to remedy that...

Appearance: An easy pour into my Poperings Hommel bier glass, the beer is deep, vivid red that's slightly cloudy and has a slight brownish hue to it. There's not much head sitting atop this brew, only a fine layer of white bubbles that are slowly dissipating. The lacing is impressive, however, with plenty of sticky rings where the beer comes to settle.

Smell: A blend of sweet fruitiness with some tart and vinegar, a smell I have really come to love lately. It just smells great.

Taste: Simply delicious! The taste is sour and kinda funky at first, but it smooths out to a sweet, fruity finish. No one individual flavor dominates another, it all sort of flows together. Really tasty.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly well carbonated, there's plenty of fizz on the palate. The beer has a refreshing, medium body that compliments the other features of this beer perfectly.

Drinkability: Absolutely a new staple beer in my fridge. Great flavor thats complex and diverse enough to keep you interested, and tasty enough to keep you coming back for more. The body of this beer is perfect, and the ABV is perfect for sessioning. Absolutely recommend this beer!

krisandajt, Jun 20, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle courtesy of klikger, thanks again!

Pours a deep amber color with a sizable off-white head.

Aromas are potent! Cider vinegar, earth, clay, and spicy breads.

Flavors are not as power packed as the nose. Light cola sweetness, bready, spicy, earthy, and subtle funky cider vinegar notes. Finish is dry and tart. Very balanced between malt sweetness and yeasty sourness.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Full and smooth, well carbonated.

Drinkability is great. What a great example of the style. I think I prefer Rodenbach though, the nose on this one is just a tiny bit off putting to me. Don't get me wrong though, this is still a top notch beer.

flexabull, Jun 19, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Rich sweet and sour aroma like good aged Balsamic. Slightly earthy. Very good.

Rich ruby red. Mostly clear. Small, creamy, tan head.

I can see why people don't like this. Rich, sticky balsamic vinegar. Some vinous fruit. Actually quite sweet. I really like this.

Full body with moderately high carbonation. Very sticky.

A tasty, tasty beer. Lots of good here and while not easy to drink, it's the sort of sour I'd be back for in an instant.

dgilks, Jun 16, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Dark brown but not quite opaque. Soft head. I always thought the Duchesse looks viscous, even though it's really not. Smell is complex and delicious, more fruity (cherry, plum) than floral, with slight caramel and vanilla sweetness, and evocative of some wood like a fine dessert wine does, and the vinegary aroma tends to be mellow compared to some other Flanders I've had. I cannot get tired of smelling this one. The mellowness (as opposed to sharp sourness) and complexity truly make it stand out.

Taste is initially very sour and slightly funky, but the sourness settles down very quickly into ripened fruits (cherry, plum, jam, pear). The finish is long and lingering. The sourness almost completely subsides into the background and becomes just a tartness in the mouthfeel after 1/3 of glass. After that point it just tastes like a very interesting dessert wine, and very easy going down, yet tastes far from simple. Duchesse is a wonderfully smooth Flanders that can be drunken like session beer and hold my interest at the same time. I feel lucky to be close to pubs that serve it on the tap regularly.

DioS, Jun 15, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass.

A: Glowing reddish amber coloring with finger of head and nice heavy lacing. Good looking brew.

S: Sour cherry notes along with just a touch of vinegar.

T & M: Such an interesting brew, intriguing mix of sweet and sour. Sweetness comes across throughout the entire taste. Bitter cherry notes from the nose come through in the taste.

D: For a sour brew incredibly drinkable, this is such a fine and unique brew.

elniko, Jun 12, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - poured a three-fingers dense and thick tan head into a tulip glass that settled into a thick lace and sheeting throughout. the head began to look creamier and creamier with each sip. it also billowed nicely upon every swirl of the glass. the body was a deep red with hints of purple.
s - slightly muted sour cherries.
t - cherries with a hint of sweetness and other fruits were present as well.
m - medium, bubbly mouthfeel.
d - excellent beer. just amazing.

GPHarris, Jun 08, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Very well balanced beer. Do not try this beer if you are narrow minded. It probably falls outside of whatever classification you will try to fit it into.

Fabulous appearance. Deep bronzed ruby in color.

An eager foam gathers after a good pour. I used a small chardonnay-shaped glass and that worked.

A bit musty on the nose, with some sourness anticipated, indicated.

First on the tongue, a well balanced sweet and sour, good carbonation. I think the carbonation helped it.

Beneath the sourness of the yeast and the sweet light malt there are citrus notes underneath, some jammy cherry and peach, tangy notes with a light scatter of spicebox, cedar and leather. There really are several flavors here that combine well.

I will definitely try this one again soon if I can. I was surprised and impressed.

carpezytha, Jun 05, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Best berfore 1-10-11

Poured this one into my trappist glass. The beer was burgundy, brown w/ red highlights. There was a wisp of cream foam around the perimeter of the beer. Looked good in the wide mouthed glass, especially with the sun overhead.

Duchesse had a good aroma with cherries, rasberries, pie crust and sweet fruit all coming through in the nose. I didn't notice much vinegar or oak in this bottle.

I got a lot of cherries, rasberry fruit juice in the taste with just a hint of tart and vinegar. There was a fair amount of sweetness towards the end, but finished pretty clean.

Mouthfeel was very good, with proper carbonation and a light body.

Overall, I enjoyed this particular serving more than the other bottle I had about a year ago, which tasted more like vinegar and old stale wine to me, this serving may have been fresher as it was cleaner and presented with more fruit sweetness.

steadydose, Jun 02, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured out of a 750ml bottle into a snifter.

appearance - dark and clear reddish brown, carbonation crawling up the side of the glass, big retention on the edge of the glass with yeast spotting on top, lacing crawls down the glass

smell - wine-like nose, vinegar, dark fruit, blended, sour, rich oak

taste - sour and tart cherries, sweet grape, yeast, rich oak barrel complexity

mouthfeel - heavily carbonated, full bodied, smooth, tingle from the carbonation

drinkability - remarkably complex, very rich and flavorful, the excessive carbonation and the initial vinegar in the nose are this beer's biggest flaws but the rest of the ale is very well crafted, amazing flavor and great value

djbreezy, May 31, 2010

"Exp. date: Jul 2011"

A. Pours a brownish-amber with a creamy tan head.
S. Sweet malt with sour cherries on oak with some musty farmhouse smells.
T. Tastes like a lambic with malt as the fruity focus (rather than cherries or raspberries). A nice level of tartness with an ample sweet malt profile that balances nicely. Some subtle cherry and oak flavors also come through.
M. Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation - just enough to pick the tartness up off of the tongue.
D. Wonderful. This is a wonderful sour that I could definitely see myself picking up again - especially since it's now available at the grocery store I regularly shop at.

BeerAndBourbon, May 31, 2010