Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
cvfish

Louisiana

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

A - This beer poured a brownish color with ruby highlights that produced a tan head that had decent retention and laced the side of the glass nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were the caramelized malts, cherries, and some sourness

T - The taste of this beer started with a caramelized malts flavor that was quickly overrun by a sour cherry/apple flavor that dominated my palate and did not leave

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light to medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - What can I say about the Duchesse? Very unique, not something that I was quite into, but there again maybe something that will grow on me

05-11-2009 02:33:34 | More by cvfish
davedahl

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

What a delicious brew.

_Appearance_
Very clear ruby-bronze color - and gradiated. When held to a light it shows off brilliant clarity and a few champagne-like bubbles rising to surface. Small head with low head-retention.

_Smell_
Sour cherries, crab apples, creamy-carmely malt.

_Taste_
Slight tannin, sourness, light carmel malt. Whole cherries. Young and sweet but deliciously sour and complex. Clearly a blend.

_Mouthfeel_
Full and well-rounded. Semi-dry finish. Slight mouth-pricle from medium-to-high carbonation.

_Drinkability_
Despite complexity, sour/sweet ness, this is highly drinkable thanks to how well balanced and only slight dryness.

Drink it!

05-09-2009 18:31:49 | More by davedahl
sarahspat

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A tan head with different sized bubbles tops a very clear dark plum brew with red highlights.

Smells of dark fruits and spices. Reminiscent of a BSDA. Vinegar was apparent at first, but later settled into the background. The promise of sourness tickles the nose.

The taste contains notes of lemon juice, tart fresh berries, nail polish remover (which is not actually as bad as it sounds within the context of the other flavors, but is pretty strong on the palate), ripe fresh cherries, granny smith apples and some caramel.

The mouthfeel is light; carbonation and sourness tickle the whole mouth.

Pretty drinkable and overall, a very nice brew. As my first sour, I wasn't sure what to expect but I was pleased with the results. Can't wait to explore more sours now!

05-08-2009 03:18:34 | More by sarahspat
rhinos00

Colorado

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a burgundy, brown color with a nice three fingers width of off-white head. Some lacing as the beer is consumed.

S- Not very pleasant. Gives off a strong vinegar scent with some oak and sourness in between.

T- Not as overwhelming as the aroma. Toned down sourness that is more tart and a nice sweetness that balances the taste. Still this one is just off in some way.

M- Some carbonation. Had a thin to medium bodied mouthfeel.

D- This one was pretty hard to put down. The taste and aroma weren't doing it for me.

Overall, I love sours but this one was just not my cup of tea. Sour, yet sweet with a vinegar scent was all too much for me. I'll pass.

05-05-2009 01:22:26 | More by rhinos00
CrazyDavros

Australia

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Amber/ruby pour with off white head that showed some persistence.
Aroma is very refreshing and fruity: sour funk, some plums, raspberries, and spicy phenols.
Very sweet flavour, lots of redcurrants, more raspberries, some oranges and a hint of vanilla. Low sourness and acidity.
Quite highly carbonated, but not overly so for the style. Would have liked some tannin-like astringency.
Very refreshing overall, but too sweet.

05-01-2009 12:30:42 | More by CrazyDavros
Reagan1984

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Special thanks to Draught2012 for providing this in one of our casual trades.
Frankly, I'm not sure what to expect here.

Poured this into a champagne flute based upon the style suggestion. Really nice looking beer. A nice beige foamy head forms atop the dark amber colored beer. Looks like the perfect combination of beer and champagne. A decent amount of delicate carbonation rises o the top of the glass. The head does settle to a thick film across the top of the beer. A decent amount of thick lacing clings to the glass.

Aroma is sweet with a hint of tart sharpness at the finish. Like a vinaigrette.

Wow, this is very interesting. Cherry, Caramel, Jolly Rancher Green apple. Light vinegar. I have to admit, I like this much more then I had anticipated. It's sweet, but also really complex. I taste some strawberries as I get accustomed to the sweetness. The tartness is there at the end. Not as sour as I expected. Good balance between the tart and sweet nature. Once you get used to the sweetness you notice many more things happening. You actually detect the light hop presence.

Very light, delicate like a sparkling wine or champagne.

Talk about a beer growing on you... I find this totally drinkable and have really grown to like this as I work my way through the glass.

05-01-2009 01:03:28 | More by Reagan1984
rtepiak

Poland

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

pour is a reddish brown. rather clear. a small head off that color. smell is a sour tang, but not as prodominant as other flemish reds. more earthy tones. cherry tart first off but a bouquet of fruit, wood, balsamic vinegar. palate reveals a worcestershire sauce quality, earthy fruit that have a citrus quality. fig, plum, black berry, grape. cherry tart is not as astringent as most. musky earth mostly. the earth even has a smoked quality to it. the taste is good but i don't believe this beer was ever made to be had alone. i couldn't drink more than one in its particular qualities. its a bit rich and unique. not to be had outside of dietary circumstances. but a fantastic accompaniment and a most for bbq, game, and robust cheeses. will have again but with food.

04-29-2009 09:34:23 | More by rtepiak
Monsteruss

Colorado

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

The foam when poured was a fluffy dark wheat, lacey, thick and ever-lasting (alot o' foam). Color was reddish/brown, amber, mahogany and deep rose red. Smell was deep, robust, rich, alittle bitter, fruity/orange and carmel undertones. Taste was very deep and rich. Fruity with a hint of high-alchohol content, chery sour apple highlight (like others from their beer line). Mouthfeel - very heavy-bodied, smooth and sour. Drinkability - you can't just 'slam' this beer, it need to be taken in slowly like wine.

04-24-2009 17:03:12 | More by Monsteruss
johnd513

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer pours ruby red in color with a small off-white head. Smells like wine and dry vinegar certainly unique even for a good sour. The taste is dry and sour but not as sour as the nose with tart cherries, wine flavors and others that i can't even begin to describe. Drinkability is prohibited only by the price tag. I could sip on this all night long. One of the most unique beers I have ever come across.

04-23-2009 23:04:51 | More by johnd513
aggiearcher13

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

I like sours, but I hadn't had this one in a while so I figured I'd go back and review it. Had it last night at Monroe St. Bistro.

A: Pours a ruby-red, a little brownish with a small about of white head on it. Looks pretty good.

S: Very wine-like, makes my glands tingle in anticipation.

T: Vinegary, cherry, some wood, rather tart, a little sweet on the finish. Pretty complex, I'm a fan.

M: Nothing great, but it's what I would expect from the style. Light, not overly carbonated.

D: This is one of the less-sour sours that I've had, but somehow it falls into one of the less drinkable for me as well. Still pretty darn good though.

04-23-2009 20:32:29 | More by aggiearcher13
goatgoat

Arizona

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Best before 8/14/09.

This is my introduction to sours, let's see how it goes.

Pours a clear, dazzling dark garnet. A fizzy tan head falls fairly quickly to a few mounding islands. Some frilly lace along the glass. The color is mesmerizing...

Aroma is woody sour. Strong wine-like astringency with a hint of wine vinegar. I expected the vinegar but not so much the wine.

Flavor is sweetly tart, if that makes sense. Very fruity almost candy like sweetness paired with a wine-like astringency and vinegar tartness. Finish is sweet up front, sour in the back and puckering all over. A lot of stuff is going on that I can't pin down.

Body is light during the sip, but coating on the finish. More carbonation than expected, a little prickly.

Lots of conflicting sensations that end up magically working together. Very complex but approachable. Sort of like going to the aquarium... I get to dip my hand in to touch some friendly critters while looking at all the dangers and extremes of sour-land. Though it's very inviting, it's just doesn't compare to my favorite styles.

04-19-2009 02:59:19 | More by goatgoat
maximum12

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Have heard a few songs of praise from the raised voices of local BAs about the Duchesse, so when I found myself at the Lowertown Bulldog for lunch, it seemed a good time to introduce myself. Good afternoon, Duchesse.

Amberish pour with little to no evident carbonation, she just lay there flat & still. Smell was sharp, tangy.

My taste buds shouted in surprise when the Duchesses arrived; I was expecting a sour blast, but instead she came with tartness, & a clean feel of sparkling grape juice (which I've always loved!). The expected sourness was nowhere to be found, only a Bottle Cap-like sweetness mixed in with the tart grape/cherry/fruits. A second sip confirmed all of this & more, & I was happy. The wife took a sip & was sad she didn't have a glass, too.

Drinkability? Damn straight. Down like kiddee Kool-Aid. My mouth might pucker up in protest after two, but it'd be worth it.

This is nothing at all like the only other Flanders Red I tried, but an excellent beer that could easily be utilized as a gateway to craft or Belgians. Duchesse, I bow to you, & hope we meet again.

04-18-2009 23:21:53 | More by maximum12
Yooperduder

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours lightly, slightly effervescent without being a bubble monster. Light and delicate head, drops down to a shimmering smokey white lace.

Smells of raisins, slight rum, maybe like an old fashioned rum cake. Fruit, like apples or apricots.

Mouthfeel is nice, nothing extraordinary but not harsh at all. Flavor is definitely fruit, again apples or some sort of cider. Effervescence is very nice, gives an exceptional feel as it goes down. Not even the slightest hint of hops, though maybe a touch of spice.

Overall an extraordinarily smooth beer, would pair exceptionally well with a cobbler, apple tart, or a summer fool.

04-18-2009 22:52:29 | More by Yooperduder
damienblack

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a rustic amber, thin lingering head, decent lacing. Average looking beer (not knowing much of how style is supposed to look). Nice bubbles whenever its swirled, though. Huge dry vinegaric sour smell - there's definitely some fruit there, but i'm not sure what exactly. Smell is oddly alluring.

Taste is a gentle, dry blast of sour. Tastes like a sweet and sour champagne - tons of carbonation, with a sugary aspect to it. I thought it would be much drier from the smell. Sourness is well balanced, leads to a very refreshing experience. More of a vinegaric sourness than a tart sourness, but it's smoothed against the beer. Only quibble is that it seems a little thin, doesn't have a lot of oomph or gravitas to it, just the flavor. Not sure if that's how the style is supposed to be. Drinkability is top notch, great sipper (although could go more if I wanted to). My first Flanders Red, and I'm looking forward to trying some more!

04-17-2009 06:01:49 | More by damienblack
Bcaulin

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Recently had on tap at the Ginger Man. Served in a 12 oz. snifter. Deep reddish brown in color. Very little head on the pour, and little lacing.

Not as strong a nose as I had expected -- Was expecting more fruit, but smelled mostly just sour and not particularly strong. The taste more than made up for that. Big slap of sour on the tongue right from the first sip.

Incredibly easy to drink considering how sour it is. Loads of fruit flavor and that great sour bite. Highly recommend.

04-17-2009 02:23:01 | More by Bcaulin
sonicdescent

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Purchased this as Vintage Estate in Boardman, OH. Couldn't wait to try this as I had been bred to expect the sour to eat my face off. While it wasn't really that sour, it was still damn solid.

Appears a very dark red with that great belgian head and lace.

Smells like nail polish at first! After you keep trying, you can get some sour apples though.

Taste isn't nearly as sour as the nose would have you believe, though you still get hints of something I can only describe as nail polish remover. The strange thing is, it works. Light sour ints of grape and apple.

Mouth is medium with relatively high carbonation.

This is a good beer and I look forward to trying it again, though I can't see where all the sour hype comes from! This is nothing to a Cantillion Kriek.

04-14-2009 21:55:33 | More by sonicdescent
Honza

Czech Republic

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Great beer, sour sweet balance. Enjoyable for a long drink. Best in Vichte where it comes from. Verhaeghe brewery is very lovely little building, family business...just great! I was lucky enough to visit it several times. I liked their other beers too, but this is one is exceptional. i saw more beers from wooden casks lately in the US, but this is a bit different...

04-14-2009 17:48:02 | More by Honza
photomike

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

This is a beautiful beer. Pours a deep, deep clear red with a 2 finger khaki head. Retention that sticks around like my annoying neighbor Joe. Guy never leaves! Thick, long lasting lacing like I've never seen.

Smell is of vinegary, sour apples, slightly vinuous, like a dry Riesling.

The taste is incredible. The vinegary apples are definitely there and prominent, but this is a complex beer. On the forefront is very noticeable funk--I have actually heard people use the words "sweaty socks" to describe this taste, and I'm surprisingly comfortable with that given my distaste for using really unappetizing terms to describe a beer's flavor. The funk fits, and doesn't stick around too long. Immediately following the wave of funk, your palate is hit with some sourness that quickly turns into a really pleasant smooth sweetness, and then a nice sour finish. Man I am loving this.

Smooth and creamy, and perfectly carbonated, I am actually getting a bit of chewiness. Not as clean as I expected it to be, but that is not a bad thing.

I could drink a lot of this, but it is definitely one to be savored. I will be disappointed to see the bottom of this glass. If only it would stick around as long as Joe. Get out you damn fool!!!

04-13-2009 23:56:46 | More by photomike
morimech

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Pours a reddish brown with a large tan head that had good retention. Moderate amount of sticky lacing is left on the glass. The aroma consists of a mild funkiness complimented by red wine and vinegar. The taste is just mildly tart. Some fruity sweetness also comes through. Some mild barnyard notes in the dry finish. Perfect mouthfeel. Soft texture that coats the mouth. Light body with mild carbonation. If someone is looking for an extra tart and funky beer, this is not the beer for you.

04-12-2009 18:57:17 | More by morimech
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Revisiting this vaguely-defined Flanders ale as part of my 7-bottle tasting panel of Flemish Red/Brown ales. BB 13/12/09, served lightly-chilled in Gulden Draak's tulip-shaped bowl sniffer.

A: dark russet brown colour with good clarity, coming with fine yet constant streams of carbonation in support of a thick, dark-beige frothy head that retreats reluctantly and leaves tight lacing behind.
S: marvellously fruity, lactic-sour, and sweet-malty... creamy yet salty-sour berry fruits are not "floating", but rather thick and oily, suggesting licorice-marinated prunes, strawberry/raspberry jam, fat smoked longan-fruits, and a dancing touch of diacetyl in the background, while the dark malts give out a strong aroma of crystallised sugar... A closer sniff reveals the underlying oak-ageing aroma, that is mildly vanilla-ish sweet yet inextricably linked to the vinegary character typical of this style. Still, having tried Rodenbach Grand Cru, this ale smells rather like a milder Oud Bruin to me.
T: the foretaste is just lightly lactic-sour cherry-fruity, backed by a thick body of mild brown-sugary malts, semi-sweet longan-fruits and utterly delicious prunes... as the vinegary sour-fruity edge softens, very quietly the main theme gives way to lightly flavoured, sweet-tea-ish herbal touch of hops and lightly aromatic notes of oak-ageing (not unlike an Oloroso Sherry actually), leaving a mildly woody/tangy palate to go with more aromatic undertones of Chinese prunes in the long finish. Simply delicious...
M&D: like my last bottle, the body is medium-plus and the texture is impeccably creamy-smooth, but the overall sweet elements apparently are much softer and the flavour structure is quite "evolving", hence a more enjoyable balance. Still, it's very hard to determine where a Flemish Red stops and Oud Bruin starts, as the characters shown in this nice ale border both, smartly.

* Tasting Date: 23/07/06
This is the first time to revisit this beer since my first encounter three years ago in Brussels. I still remember that it gave me a much sweeter impression than Rodenbach's range and other counterparts, thus I was not that keen to try it again. But my memory could be hazy, I told myself in the shop, and it deserves a "recorded" opinion as such~~ BB 11/07/07, served lightly-chilled in a large Burgundy bulb wine glass.
4 A: reddish-brown in colour the beige-hued frothy head settles fast to a rimmed foam and leaves uneven lacing along the way; medium-lively carbonation. Looking settled and promising.
4.5 S: slightly rusty upfront, followed by a much milder edge of red wine vinegar, creamy raspberry+strawberry-flavoured yogurt, lightly-caramelised sugar, and a fantastic note of smoked prunes and quite akin to a silky and prune-ish Rioja!! As I remember it right, the fruity smell does have a sweeter edge to the overall sour aroma, but in a sense a softer and creamy balance is obtained b/w wood-ageing factor and profound maltiness, neither so... exciting nor harsh as Rodenbach Grand Cru... Instead it's deeply aromatic, fruity, yet approachable.
3.5 T: an assertive flow of brown sugar like sweetness and sour-sweet berry- and stone-fruits smoothly caress the tongue, but in two different layers rather than being mixed seamlessly... the mid-flavour shows more sweet and creamy malts, which is not heavy but slightly too sugary, whereas the soft fruitiness and wood-ageing's sourness prevail in time to result in a slightly dryish, tangy and tartly-sweet aftertaste, thus an overall pleasant and evolving structure is secured all right. Short and clean finish.
4 M&3.5 D: can't complain at all about the texture--creamy and softly carbonated on the mouthfeel, and the body is quite solid yet pretty refreshingly-light vis-a-vis the flavour. Somehow the sweet edge of this beer is still what fails to convince me, just like my first encounter three years ago: the sweet, sugary edge running in parallel to, rather than hand in hand with, the sour-fruitiness poses the largest difficulty b/w me and this otherwise fantastic beer. Guess I'd only be converted to this ale either when my palate changes, or the brewer budges.

04-10-2009 19:13:35 | More by wl0307
bunnyhustle

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

I've been in a beer funk but this may have pulled me out of it. Pours very dark but upon examination turns out to be a dark ruby color with thick, creamy, off-white head. Amazing retention and good lacing. Very nice looking beer. Smell is tart with some sour green apple, vineager, and some yeast as well. Taste has a complex bunch of flavors but the ones that stuck out most to me was a sweet grape. Some apple and pear as well. A sharp tartness to it that is very well balance by a nice sweetness. Very complex beer. Mouthfeel was medium and its very smooth going down as it leaves you a nice aftertaste. Overall a great beer and the lower ABV makes it very drinkable.

04-09-2009 02:03:24 | More by bunnyhustle
ricke

Sweden

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Serving date: 2009-03-22. Served in wine glass.

A: Dark ruby color with dark brown hues. Slightly beige and uneven but thick head that dissipates slowly and leaves a decent amount of lacings.

S: Rather reminiscent of red wine. Plenty of vinous fruit aromas (ripe cherries, apples). Rum-soaked raisins, notes of oak barrel, yeast and gentle malt aromas.

T: A rather unique and very pleasant taste with plenty of wine-like flavors. Ripe cherries, grapes, over-ripe apples, earth. Yeast, gentle spiciness and hints of candy, butterscotch and chocolate. A tart note in the middle. Passion fruit. Faint vinegar. Oak barrel. Plenty of action going on here and the flavors blends beautifully. Very complex and well balanced. The malts are restrained from start to finish. Basically no bitterness in the finish. However, there are plenty of black currants, rum-soaked raisins and some spicy alcohol.

M: Full body, very creamy. Upon swallowing, it changes and gets drier towards the finish. Lively carbonation.

D: A fantastic beer with great vinous aromas and flavors. Very complex and well balanced.

04-05-2009 00:50:16 | More by ricke
Murchmac

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Didn't know what to expect with this one. But i'll compare it to Scarlett Johansson since she was in the Girl with a Pearl Earring.

Poured a foamy white one finger head, Reddish brown. Probaly like Birdy's hair would have been in The man who wasn't there if it was in color.

Smells funky, red wine, vinegary, Like how Steve Buscemi's Apartment must have smelled in Ghost World.

I actually like the taste of this it alternates between supersweet and tart sour taste, very complex, keeps you guessing, Kind of like the Island, not a great movie, but she's hot in it.

Alternating tart and sweet finish, good enough body, leaves me feeling uneasy, but I want more, like Match Point or Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Did I mention Scarlett Johansson's hot?

04-04-2009 03:40:46 | More by Murchmac
01121987

Quebec (Canada)

i am no expert on this style of beer, but i would have to say that it kicks some serious ass!
i tried this beer a couple of years ago and was disgusted by it, now i dont know how i ever could have thought that. this is my favorite sour beer. im surprised the bros didnt rate it as world class.
awsome beer!
not for the faint hearted!

04-04-2009 01:04:34 | More by 01121987
phirleh

Ontario (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

This is the first of this style that I've really tried, I bought it in January in Quebec. Poured an amber red colour, and the head was minimal but very long lasting. The first taste was very sour and almost wine like, further drinking revealed a much more complex flavour profile, sweet and sour, almost like grape juice with hints of green apple and cherry. The carbonation is slightly prickly, very Belgian. Very drinkable and well deserved of its high rating. I have another bottle in my basement. Always buy 2 to avoid disappointment!

03-30-2009 03:05:01 | More by phirleh