Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Was recommended to me by a gal at By The Bottle.. so hear it goes... poured in a tulip.

- Bubbly creamy colored fizz... leaves a nice steady finger of head... dark ruby copper color, clear.. red... each and every bubble is of such uniform size... interesting,.

- Esters, plum, fig, vinegar... slight straw funk.. sweet.. almost minty..

- Interesting and very sweet. Light tartness, vinegar... syrup.. esters.. plum, fig, prune.. light woody notes, oak perhaps..

- Sticky sweet... very carbonated.. almost too bubbly. Light bodied..

- Overall a tad too sweet for my taste.. would like it to be a lot more sour... and it is a tad over-carbonated. Would like it better I think if more sugars were devoured and made into a 9% flemish. I bet it would taste a lot better.

Docer, Sep 14, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Enjoyed on 09.11.2010 in a Chimay glass, poured from a brown bomber.

A: Fantastic, burgundy hue under a perfect creamy beige head.

S: Wonderful smell of cherries and malt. I can tell just by the smell that there's more going on here.

T&M: Excellent. The tart cherry is much more subtle than, say, a Kriek Lambic, and is so well balanced with delicious roasted malt. A smooth feel and the tartness danced all over. The malt definitely rounded things back out, and the result is a great complexity.

Drinkability: I wished I bought another. At 6% ABV, it's sessionable - especially for a Flanders Red.

ILikeGoodCider, Sep 12, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

Duchesse has been on my listof beers to try for a while now but I didn't want to buy a 750. I finally found the smaller bottle andpicked it up.
Pours a dark maroon red color with a small tan head that's very small and thin.
The nose is dark fruits, deep red wine, vinegar. Mostly redwine vinegar.
This isn't what I expected. Alot sweeter then I anticipated. A slight sourness but lots of sugary sweet redwine vinegar. Kind of confusing. I'm torn trying to figure out if I like this or not. The aroma for me is not that pleasant. The taste isn't pleasant either but something makes me want to keep drinking this.
Mouthfeel is sticky. This thing coats the mouth like crazy. Light carbonation.
Overall I don't think I like this one all that much. I want to but the vinegar and sweetness are just too much for my palate. I'm glad this is the 11.2 oz bottle because I'm struggling to finish it.
I'm not sure what the shelf life is with this beer but the best by date on this bottle is 10/2/10 and today is 9/10/10. I don't know if this beer is past it's prime or what but maybe I'll seek out a little fresher bottle.

BigMike, Sep 11, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from 11.2oz bottle.

A- Pours a clear reddish brown color. One finger tan head shows medium retention. Light lacing left on the glass.

S- Big red wine like vinegar mess upfront. Ok..maybe I shouldn't say mess but very much the standout aroma. Light cherries in the middle to backing of this beer. Band-aid like aroma lingers here and there rounding out most of the aroma. No real alcohol in the nose.

T- Sour puckering vinegar notes right off the bat. There is a light nutty malt in the middle mixed with a cherry flavor. Some oaky notes and back to the cherry acidic tones. Very backend shows more green apple tones then anything else.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonatoin is good for the style I would say. Cherries and vinegar left on the palate with some green apple aftertaste. Flavors blended well with this beer but the vinegar lasts over and through most of them. Light drying on the palate after each sip.

D- This was a good beer that I was glad to try. A perfect amount came in the bottle and left me really not wanting anymore. I would do yourself a favor and seek this beer out.

alleykatking, Sep 08, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: Dark ruby colored brew which sports a rocky, pillowy, off white head that seems to breathe as if the beer was alive (which it is). Craters opening up, the head finally dies down a little and leaves alot of lace. Just a beauty of a beer.

Smell: Apple cider, vinegar. A bit musty and sour smelling. Perfumy.

Taste: Tart and sweet with a lingering sour/metallic edge. This ale was matured in wooden vats, providing an oaky/woodsy dryness. As it warms, more complexity develops, fruits that do not exist like a mixture of cherry, granny smith apple and citrus with some acidity. This is one hell of a beverage.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a semi dry finish and a lingering sourness of the palate.

Drinkability: A very desirable sour that is a pleasure to partake. Highly recommended.

Stinkypuss, Sep 08, 2010

11.2oz. bottle served in my ST tulip. Best before 10-07-09 indicated on the label (whoops). Pours a hazy chestnut brown with a loose, one inch, tan-colored head embedded with tiny ringlets. Burgundy highlights are revealed when backlit, and head eventually settles into a solid quarter inch cap revealing porous bands of lacing. Nose is very rich and complex - tart fruit, a little vinegary, a hint of vanilla and a vinous quality; somewhat reminiscent of a cabernet. There also seem to be traces of spice (cinnamon and...) and cork intermingled with the other aromas. Taste consistent with nose - distinctive aromas coalesce nicely into a complex brew; maybe with some traces of wood expressed in the flavor profile, as well as muted atomic fireballs at the finish. Mouthfeel is light-medium (but closer to light), with an even carbonation level that falls shy of lively and a finish that falls just short of semi-dry. Having never had this before, I can't tell if it's really past it's prime, but I have to say that I found it interesting and complex - a nice introduction to sours for those new to the style in my opinion.

Jwale73, Sep 02, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

pours a clear brown with a small tan head, and little to no lacing.

smell is of wild yeast, some malt, and dark fruit.

taste is a bit watery, slightly sour, a little sweetness in the back, dark fruits and cherries, malt, and salmon berry, ends a little tart.

froghop, Aug 22, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -29.1%

On draft. Short review as I am at the bar and in a rush. Sour fruit aromas. Acidic taste. Notes of nail polish remover and acetone. The acetone mixed with the sweetness of this beer really is a turn off to me. Reddish color with a tan head. Not terribly good but ok for the style. Light/medium mouthfeel.

kbutler1, Aug 20, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

After really beginning to enjoy sours, I wanted to go a step further and review this brew. Best before 01/10/2011, must have some age on it.

Pours a nice burgundy hue with amber edges with some champagne bubble action. Head was a nice and big, and receded to a modest 1 finger width on top. Retention is looking good so far.

The nose has dominant aroma's of vinegar, with light undertones of funk and cherries. I don't know if this is me, but I also get mustard in the nose. The nose is pretty strong at first, but after a few sniffs those dark fruits really start to come out. You just need to get past that strong vinegar.

I thought this was gonna be a big sour bomb by the nose, but scents can be deceiving. Sours begins up front and sting the tongue with its pungent flavor, then moves onto sweetness of cherries and over-ripe raspberries. Little to no lingering bitterness, just a nice aftertaste of light tartness. This is pretty sweet, even for a Flanders, and becomes cloying about half way through the bottle.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly crisp, but silky smooth at the same time.

Drinkability is good. Starts off powerful, and finishes pretty mild. I wouldn't recommend this as a session brew due to the vinegar and sourness, but you can if thats your bag. For me, this is a good sipper beer.

Foxtrot, Aug 19, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

Best before date 13/01/2012. Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Crystal clear deep garnet body topped by a dense creamy bone head - looks almost like a nitro pour. The retention is amazing. It just sticks at about half an inch with sticky lacing climbing up the glass. Perfection.

Aroma is mainly vinegar and lots of dark cherry. Kind of stings the nostrils...in a good way. Almost offensive at first, but then the cherry comes in more and it is a little more pleasant. I don't have much experience with the style, but the strong vinegar aroma still keeps me from giving it too much credit here. A touch of strawberry comes out as it warms. If I wasn't taking style into account, I would definitely rate lower here. The cherry is really the only redeeming quality.

Puckering sourness kicks you in the mouth. Definitely dark cherry. Lots of black cherry Warhead with a hint of berries as it warms, but with vinegar and a metallic taste in the finish that won't really go away. I don't care what style this is, it isn't good. Bleh. Maybe if I paired this with the right food it would be less offensive. Mouthfeel has a sharpness to it that I don't like. For some reason, I finished it pretty quickly for how vinegary it is...I kind of think it was just so I can move on to my next one. $4 wasted...at least I know to be very weary of sours.

I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt in some of these categories because I know it is, to a certain extent, part of the style. Still, if this is a good example of the style, this style completely blows. Making beer taste like vinegar is not a good thing...ever.

I feel like I'm really being generous with this review.

NCBeernut, Aug 10, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a mostly brown body with perhaps a hint of garnett. Good white head that fades rapidly - eventually sticks as a thin ring. Light spotty lacing.

Nose is vinegar with cherries. Taste brings the same, along with a nice mix of sweet and sour. The sourness gives you a nice punch with a pleasant overlay of sweetness. Very pleasant taste overall.

Mouthfeel is good. Generous dose of carbonation that tingles across the tongue. Light to medium bodied.

All in all, a very good Flanders Red.

Mavajo, Aug 07, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance- A deep amber, red hue.

Smell- lots of cherries along with funky yeast smell

Taste- Outstanding. Very sweet with less sourness of the traditional Flemish Red or sour. Lots of cherries with a nice finish.

Mouthful- A very light, crisp mouthful.

Drinkability- Very high for a Flemish Red. I enjoy this style but can usually only drink one at the most.

Overall- A very strong strong Flemish Red. In the same realm as Kastel Rouge or Belgian Red but more sour and closer to the style of the Flemish Red. I will definitely drink this beer again. Definitely would pare well with a variety of desserts.

clarkm04, Jul 29, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

pours a deep amber with a dark red hue. light lacy head.

smells of funky yeast. sour cherries.

nice crisp carbonation hits the toung to give way to a very nice sweet malt nuttieness that fades to a very balanced tart sour cherry. really great nicely balanced flavors.

none of the vinegar acidity i've had in other sour beers. just a really great light fruity tartness. light and full of flavor. i'm a big fan.

bfields4, Jul 27, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

11.2oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Lovely, clear ruby-amber body with an inch of frothy white head. Quick dissipation and almost no lacing. Nice color, but the head could use some work.

S: Straight-up acetic aroma: balsamic vinegar, cherry, and more vinegar. Pretty much as expected, but kind of boring.

T: Light vinegar, sweet fruit, and an acidic finish. Meh.

M: Light bodied yet sticky with pretty lively carbonation. Not especially pleasant.

D: Well, it's not like it's overly sour or intense, but it's just not that enjoyable to drink. I'd much rather quaff the stronger and more acidic Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Notes: While not a terrible beer by any stretch, this just isn't as good as, well, any other Flanders Red I've had - either Rodenbach, Ommegang Rouge, Willimantic Rodenzok, New Glarus Enigma, etc, etc. Too sweet and one-dimensional for my taste, but I can see how a lot of people could find it to be a good introduction to sours.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Jul 27, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap @ the Beer Engine. This is my sweetheart's go-to beer for kegs and eggs! Gotta love that!!

Looks decent - reddish color with a nice small head. Just nothing outstanding.

Smell is good - for the style, I find this to be one of the more appetizing noses as some Flanders reds are rather putrid. This smells of vinegar, cherries, and oak.

Taste is also quite nice. Really sweet, with the balsamic vinegar and cherry notes dominating. I get a touch of belgian malt and some oak, also a hint of lemon - otherwise, it's a straight-ahead sour vinegary cherry fest of a beer.

Mouthfeel is this beer's strongest suit IMO. Light, crisp, and perfectly carbonated. The finish is rather remarkable as well.

Overall, I dig this beer, it's everything a Flanders Red should be. A touch too sweet for revisiting a few times in a sitting. But a nice sour and something that has served as a bridge into the genre for many.

jampics2, Jul 26, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Rich and long red ale.

Presentation: 750 ml green corked bottle. Stylized screen printed label with the name of the brew printed vertically and a small icon with a classic Flemish image of the Duchesse with a bird at the bottom. Back label offers a brief narrative going over history, local context, intent, and composition. Shows best before date printed on the cork (jan 2012), and Alc. by Vol. (6%) Served in a wine glass.

A - Deep red-brown pour with a generous bubbly head, fair retention with a small surface ring, and touches of lace.

S - Sweet and sour fruit, with a soft tart sense around fermented apples, a bit acidic.

T - Rich fruity sourness, tart memories of raw cider, acidic yeasty touch. Nice and long range with dark sugary fruits, and a light citric touch.

M - Light-medium body with good carbonation, generous early on and with a good tingly retention in the finish. Nice acidic dry, and fairly clean finish.

D - Great complex red ale, nicely rounded and pleasing.

Notes: This is a very nice red ale, very similar out of the blue to the Rodenbach Grand Cru, maybe a side by side tasting would open up a rich range of differences. Maybe the biggest difference is in the final vinous long range that may be missing here and instead a fruity range takes over, but this does not hinder the quality of either brew.
Again memories of fermented apples in a complex fruity range similar to some raw ciders from Northern Spain.

Daniellobo, Jul 25, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

bottle poured into snifter.

a - dark brownish red liquid with a light tan head.

s - sour cherries and vinegar.

t - quite tart, but still has a good malt backbone. a little more sweetness than I was expecting, but its not bad. cherry fruit flavor is big.

m - big carbonation, medium to light body.

overall - very tasty flanders. extremely easy to drink.

levifunk, Jul 25, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

One of my favorites! I've had it many times, so now that I have decided to review beers on this site, here goes!

750ml - if at home, I'll go for a snifter.

A - dark ruby red w/ a brownish tint. Head fades fast to lots of beautiful lacing.

S - sour cherries, balsamic vinegar, berries...very fruity. Sweet malts in the back. Smell is almost as good as the taste.

T - delightful. Sour cherries again, fruity, but still tastes like a beer...almost like a lambic, but better. It's sour, but not overly, not to the point of puckering. I enjoy the restraint w/ the sourness...could have been a bit sweeter, but I'm not complaining.

M - great carbonation (which I generally love). Light-to-medium body...very easy.

D - couldn't be better. I can put away a 750ml bottle of this like nobody's business & probably do at least once a month. It's not too sour, so I'd absolutely recommend it to someone who's getting started on this style.

fragilehearted, Jul 18, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

(Poured into a goblet.)
It poured a deep translucent dark cherry. I Poured a 1" head that slowly fizzled away leaving a nice lace that stuck to the walls of the glass.

Aroma: sweet balsamic vinegar and tart fruit mixed with oak.

Taste: there seemed to be a few flavors at work. There was a tartness similar to granny smith apples, as well as, sweet oak balsamic characteristics mixed with sour cherries. There was also a champagne quality in the background, along with a slight caramel malt. A pleasant sour finish and aftertaste. The taste changed as it got warmer; the tartness mellowed and it became sweeter. Overall it was like a symphony of flavors with each one having its moment followed by all of them working in concert. It is not to often that you get a beer where each drink is unique.

While I don't think I could drink this everyday, the Duchesse is one of my favorite Belgians, and it is definitely worth a try. I would probably drink this on special occasions, or just because it's Tuesday. I would recommend it while having some form of bleu cheese.

LacquerHead, Jul 13, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a Belgian glass. "Best before" date of 3-3-12.
Pours an attractive ruby color with an off-white-tan head, which persisted with a 1/8" presence throughout drinking. Left some thick and immobile lacing.
Smells were a little odd, I picked up tamarind and fruit candy, and a weird rubbery note.
Tasted like cherry Jolly Rancher, strawberry jam, and thick fruit syrup, like the kind you make snow cones with. Maybe the merest hint of tartness, but it is way unbalanced by all the sweetness.
The texture was pretty highly carbonated yet syrupy at the same time.
Thick and cloying. I'm having a hard time finishing one.
No real tartness, oak character, or yeast notes to speak of for me, just overly sweet thick fruit flavors.

busternuggz, Jul 13, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This was my first notably sour beer to date. I enjoyed it much more thnan I thought I would. It was almost to the edge of undrinkable with it's dominant vinegar character. It was just edgy enough where it kept me sipping more to revist the cherry, fruit and tart notes whispering out of my snifter.

Appearance was ruby red with brillant clarity. Excellent head, retention and lace.
Smell is a bold balsamic and cider vinegar reduction wafting with some red wine and dark fruits (most notably cherries).
Taste as it smells, fruity red wine character greeted by your childhood easter egg dyes of yesteryear. Repeats mellowed balsamic reduction memories over and over again, in a good way, but almost overdone. Almost overdone, but not quite.
Mouthfeel is sour. Tart. Sharp. Medium body & carbonation. Wow this is a very curious and moving target taste.

On the drinkability...
2 of us slit the small bottle. My wife couldn't finish hers. I was hesitant at first, but gladly finished hers up as I warmed up with this strange concotion. In the future I would gladly split a bottle with someone for the right meal, but would not do it solo or too frequently. I would pursue this with the right food pairing or when I have a sour beer craving (a new concept altogether as of today, thanks to Duchesse!)

Seems like it would god very well with a rich steak, salty meats, subtle balsamic salads or nuts.

unclejimbay, Jul 12, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Dated best buy 3/2012.

Pours a clear, reddish brown with a finger of tan head; large bubbles, fast fading head, but copious lacing.

A sour vinegar aroma wrapped around papaya, oranges, sweet cherries, and musty funk.

Very sweet, sugary cherry juice and some mild tartness. Plum, oak (which rounds out the flavor profile), vanilla, and bitterness that tingles throughout but remains way in the background. Funky brett enters in the middle and finish ends acidic, and fruity sweet. Sweetness is very prominent, even a tad too much, but the flavor interplay still yields good drinkabilty.

Effervescent, light body that pops on the tongue, with a low to medium level of carbonation that is both refreshing and a touch tongue drying. If I really look I can pick up some milk chocolate notes, but it's a stretch.

I would imagine some age would dry this beer out and make it a truly delicious experiences that isn't quite so sweet.

TheJollyHop, Jul 12, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

An interesting taste... Light drinkable, good. Poured reddish brown with a reddis hint of tan head. Smell kind of reminds me of soy sauce. Taste is complicated with various fruits and vinegar noticable. Sort of slick to the tongue Pretty drinkable for such an odd flavor and smell/

hdofu, Jul 09, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

The Duchess! One of the most complex and refreshing low ABV beers I have ever experienced. I've enjoyed this and Rodenbach Grand Cru on multiple occasions and have decided that as far as the Flanders heavyweights go, this is my favorite. On to the review.

The appearance is crystal clear ruby-garnet body with a two finger tan head that is made of very tight champagne like bubbles that quickly dissipate to the wisp collar that is typical of a beverage with champagne like carbonation. Minimal lacing shows up. 4/5

Aroma is heavy on red-wine vinegar with a touch of red stone fruits. Medicinal qualities and that "band aid" thing show up but works well with the aceitic character. 4/5

Puckering, sour, vinegar poured from oak barrel dance across the tongue as the taste builds. Each sip builds on the previous. Some sweet cherry shows up at the mid-way point and delights the senses. There's more to this beer that I just can't explain. The experience is one to be savored. The Duchess clearly dominates Rodenbach at this juncture. 4/5

Mouthfeel is pure champagne. Soft soothing carbonation slides across the palate with a delicate nature that no other beer can equal. The perfect score is the result. 5/5

Drinkability is through the roof! The mouth puckering quality of this is spectacular and makes me want that next sip that much faster! Every time I have this beer I try to enjoy it slowly but it screams to be drunk fast. Another perfect score! 5/5

My wife has told me that if we ever renew our vows, The Duchess is going to make an appearance at the toast. It really is that good and classy. Try this now! Beer will never seem the same to you again!

hopsbreath, Jul 02, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -5%

750ml bottle

A Red and clear. Light head, some lacing, but the head didn't stay for long.

S There are figs, anise, sugary and fruity aromas. There is no indication of hops at all.

T Sweetness and fruitiness dominate. Some raspberry or tart strawberry flavors, and currants and green apples. This is a clean beer that finishes clean with no off flavors.

M Light to medium body, low carbonation eliminates that bite for balance.

O This would be a good apertif beer, I simply prefer a little less fruit. That is not to say this is a bad beer, it is quite good and full of fruit flavors. For those so inclined, you will like this beer. Too sweet for diehard hop fans but good for the Belgian beginner.

boss302, Jun 27, 2010