Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2oz bottle poured to snifter. Best by date of 5/1/2013.

A - Pours ruby red with about two fingers of off white head and some lacing.

S - A bit softer of smell than expected, but it is welcome. It smells almost like a sour wine, with a hint of brown sugar. Not overpowering at all. Very unique.

T - An amazing balance here. Sour cherries and a hint of vinegar up front, which gives way to an unexpected sweetness which was a great treat. Lots going on.

M - Light body, and good carbonation.

O - I'd been thinking about trying this for some time, but could never pull the trigger. Thank goodness I did, because this is a treat. An exceptionally good sour, and one I will continue to by from now on.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

11.2oz bottle served in a snifter.
best before date: 04/29/2012

pours a mahogany tone while yielding a creamy 1" or so of beige colored head; middling retention, fades to a thin, lasting cap. decent lacing.

a decent amount going on the nose, which is one of the more unique aromas i've encountered recently. notes of caramel, brown sugar, belgian yeast, cherries, funk, and cider vinegar.

the taste is an unexpected treat. not being the biggest fan of sours i'm pleasantly surprised by the flavor profile: cherry, apple, and sweet malt lead the way. nice balance between sweet and tart. it has a nice sour component that doesn't go too far. very tasty.

toward the lighter side of medium-bodied in the mouth with some lively carbonation.

overall i'm enjoying this. was admittedly a bit apprehensive at the outset but keeping an open mind has paid off. great beer.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Oh Duchesse. She is a beer that I had kept playing hard to get with. I would see her at the beer store and think about but never acted. I even held here a couple of times to only put her back. So when I finally had the chance to get a glass on tap I decided it was time to meet her.

This beer is a nice red amber color. The head on this beer is very tight little micro bubbles and white. This beer is very fragrant. Taking a sniff an you will know right away that this is going to be a sour beer. I'm not an expert on sour beers so I cannot really elaborate on smell other than sour. The taste really surprised me. I was totally expecting something awful. This beer has a really nice flavor that is only exemplified by the sourness. It has a very nice fruity taste. The brewery describes it as passion fruit and I will just agree to that. The overall mouthfeel is nice and light with a dry finish.

I am not a sour chaser and I really thought I would never find a sour beer that I really liked. Duchesse won me over on the first sip. Its complex flavor is completely masked by the smell. It's like the durian fruit of beer. While I'm sure its still not for everyone I think if your curious you should try a glass.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

After a bottle of Askew I had to try another sour beer. Poured into my Bell's tulip glass slighty chilled.

A: Deep amber leaning towards brown. 1 finger white foamy head that is quick to recede.

S: Sour fruitiness almost with acidic overtones. Almost wine-like.

T: Lots going on here. Strong tart cherries at the beginning giving way to an acidic sour punch which is followed by a vinegary finish. A wonderful cornucopia of flavors.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation.

O: A great beer. I will definitely be buying this to keep on hand when in the mood for a break from strong stouts.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle poured into a large tulip glass. Color is a strong reddish brown with around half an inch of head. Smell is sour cider and cherry, very acidic. Taste is a kind of sweet and sour combination, with lots of grapes and maraschino cherry flavors. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel. Very good drinkability.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

I'm extremely new to sour beers, having only tried them for the first time a couple of months ago, but I really love the few that I've had.

This pours a deep brown, there are hints of red but I wouldn't have known its a red ale otherwise. The head is a finger width and light brown, it quickly fades away but leaves a nice lace. This smells a little sour, woody and slightly unusual, hard to describe. Nice mouth feel, it gets very carbonated if I gently move it around on my tongue, I can feel the tartness. The taste is a little tart / sour at first but on the way down it seems to sweeten up quite a bit, this is definitely a unique flavor for beer, but I really like it. It kind of reminds me of shock tart candies I used to love as a child, this my second bottle to try and the aftertaste sweetness is more than I remembered. Overall this is a great beer and very well could be one of my favorites.

Duchesse may very well be the best sour ale I have ever had and it pours a deep chestnut brown color with notes of tart fruit, notably cherries, and dark malt. Since this ale is aged in oak conditioned casks, Duchesse has a red wine like feeling to it. The array of sweet and sour flavors are perfectly balanced throughout this Flanders red ale, and it’s velvety smooth from start to finish.

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Best by date of 8/14/08 poured a deep garnett hue with a pillowy head and respectable lace.

Sweet Sour fruit footish aroma with a wine like wood.

Sweet effervesence and sour twang that lingers. A deffinate wine like flavor that is woody and crisp.

Bubbley and dry to the bone.

Not familiar, but it seems to repeel the wife and kids, so it is a winner.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

This ale poured out as a fizzy looking deep red color with a light tan colored head on it. The head didn't last very long and neither did the lacing. The color was great on this beer though. The aroma of oak wood and fermented cherries on the nose giving this quite a sour profile. The taste is exactly what the smell told me. The flavors in this beer are big a powerful upfront with tart cherry and fresh oak. The aftertaste settles into a more semi-sweet and very nice yeasty cherry flavor. The mouthfeel is bubbly and kind of thin but didn't bother me. Overall this is probably one of my favorite sours, I'm not really into this style too much but I'll admit I did enjoy this brew.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle at Uli's Restaurant in White Rock, BC.

A: Maroon coloured with a 1/2" off white head that disappeared in an average amount of time.

S: Smells very much like a lambic. Malt vinegar mixed with cherries in this case.

T: Slightly sour, malt vinegar, and cherries. Very nice taste to the finish and slightly boozy.

M: Crisp and refreshing, medium to low carbonation.

O: Excellent and very interesting beer. Often lambics are too sour for me but this style I could get into.

4.11/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip a garnet/brown with nice clarity, and a two finger off-white head. There is quite a bit of visibly vigorous carbonation release.

The first notes I get from this beer are of a rather tart combination of green apple and cherry. I detect a yeasty earthiness in the background, as well.

Tasting this beer is hard for me to describe. I've not drank many tart or sour beers like this before. The tart apples and cherry flavor is here in all its glory, as well. There is also a malty sweetness that seems to be mitigated by the sheer acidity of this brew. There is a definite vinous quality to the finish, as well.

The texture of Duchesse de Bourgogne is very similar to that of champagne, or prosecco--substantial, but airy thanks to the vigorous carbonation release.

A - Mahogany brown, half finger head. No lacing

S - Vinegar, cherry, granny smith apples

T - More vinegar and a strong apples and cherry - very much like the nose. Very tart.

M - Smooth, and easy to drink. Wouldn't think that a vinegar nose would go down as easy as it does.

O - My first intro to the Flanders Red Ale as far as I know. Very solid, really enjoyed this one. It's a sipper, but at the same time I think I could drink a second one. Would like to try more of this style.

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

Appearance - Pours a deep mahogany with hints of red and a vigorous khaki head. The head bubbles away quickly leaving a thin layer of foam on the surface.

Smell - Sour cherries through and through. Some sweet aromas come through behind.

Taste - Surprisingly, the first flavor is sweetness and a lightness that I would expect in the finish. The sweetness, happily, is gone very quickly fading to a slight tartness. Not puckering, but enough to overcome the sweetness and give it a even a little bitterness.

Mouthfeel - I'm no sour expert, but what makes this one better than what I've had is that it doesn't have a sickly sweet finish. It's not dry, but the sourness holds out till the end.

Overall - As stated, I am no sour expert, but this is tasty, if not very complex. Single flavor going through, but a good flavor.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Enjoyed a little goblet of this on tap at The Imperial on Orange, Orlando FL.

A: Deep crimson with a smooth, excellent tan head.

S: Red wine vinegar, cherry juice and fresh dough.

T: Follows the smell exactly with a welcome sweetness and a tart finish. Hints of cane juice and sour apples.

D: I don't see how anyone could call this undrinkable.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

12 oz bottle best by 4/8/2012 poured into a flute

A- Pours with a rusty magenta color with a foamy off white head

S- Tart cherries with a slight mustiness to it. Woodiness is noted in the background.

T- Cherries up front followed by a nicely balancing malt vinegar flavor that's not nearly as severe as I expected.

M- It's a sipper, light in body the carbonation brings the flavors out nicely. Going down much easier than I anticipated.

O- A very nice brew that I enjoyed drinking. This is a nice change of pace brew from my typical IPA/Stout/Pale Ales, and I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. I have a feeling I'll be coming back to revisit this one often, as well as searching out more in the style.

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Brown color with hints of red and a decent tan head. smells somewhat funky with belgian dark malts malts reminiscent of dubbels and quads. Hints of fruits, cherries perhaps. Ridiculously sweet in the flavor and a total shocker. somewhat sour, but the sweetness is overpowering initially. As I drink more of it, the sour notes come through along with some medicinal notes, almost like cough syrup. Thicker mouthfeel than expected though still medium-bodied. Overall, not my favorite of the style. The flavor profile is much too sweet for my taste and I would have preferred the sourness to be more prominent.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2 fl. oz. bottle, best by 10-12-2012. Poured into a Chimay chalice. Deep, ruby red body that is clear, but lets very little light through. One-finger tan head that retains well and leaves creamy lacing all along the glass.

The first aromas to come through are definitely tart notes of cherry and lemon. There is a slight sweetness of caramel malt and candy sugar in the background. As it warms, plenty of oak character comes through in the aroma.

Wow, this is delicious. The primarily sour notes in the front combine cherry, lemon and tart apple, and are not mouth-puckering, but pleasant. The malt balance is nearly perfect to add some sweetness to the mix. The taste is very complex; no hops, woody oak, and deep maltiness combine with tart flavors.

Light mouthfeel, that actually seems somewhat creamy smooth. Odd to say for a tart brew. Easy to drink, this is an excellent brew. Highly recommend, especially for those who may just be starting to drink sour, tart beers.

4.01/5  rDev -3.6%

Enjoyed this last night.

Poured from a 330ml. bottle, best before 13-05-11 (my last day at work!).

Appearance: Loads of tiny bubbles fill a murky brown-red body with off-white foam that just sits there with amazing retention and spidery lacing.

Smell: Vinegary a bit with some oak, sour cherries and a sweetness to round it off.

Taste: A mix of sweet and tart with some oak. Low on the vinegar and has a slight wine reminiscence (my daughter said that!) with some sour cherries. Quite good.

Mouthfeel: Very low carbonation with a bit of a thin body but not much. A very mellow feel.

Overall: A pleasant little beer. Not too harsh. I would certainly try this again.

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%

An example where I can recognize the high quality of the beer but personally I don't really like it enough to repeat. Poured a 3" head with a body packed with tiny effervescence. Gorgeous deep clear reddish mahogany body when held up to the light. Smell is a touch sour but interesting - has aspects of fruit and nail polish. Taste seems to be a hibrid of lager, cider, and a little pickle juice. And although this is technically not a sour beer it was a bit too sour for me. Very nicely done product but not one I would buy again.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pour into a tulip. Reddish/brown body, good amount of carbonation. Little head.

S: Did not smell great. Some funk/tart fruit, but I didn't find the smell overly appealing.

T: I found the taste overly appealing, however. Cherry, pear, wine, very little vinegar. Sour, but not too sour. Great blend of sour, tart, and sweet.

M: Light, very slightly chewy, good amount of carbonation on the tongue.

O: Ordered this beer randomly from a beer list without know anything about it. Ordered two more after that.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Notes from 4/30/2011

A- Clear ruby red, brownish pour. Finger width creamy eggshell head. Lacing sheets the glass and won't let go.

S- Red wine vinaigrette, little bit of wet blanket funk. Cherries, apple skins, cinnamon and brown sugar. Vanilla and oak meld it all together.

T- Vanilla, brown sugar, apples, sweet cherries. Tart vinegar, almost like a war head candy. Lemons and a little funk.

M- medium bodied, high carbonation adding a prickle to the tongue as it tries to handle the sour and sweet.

O- Can't go wrong with this. This is a "love it or hate it" style and I think I'm a lover.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

It's name includes the word "duchesse" and the design is positively renaissance, so off the bat, I'm biased to like this beer.

A - Poured into a roughly two-finger head which dissipated rather quickly. Deep, bloody orange/red color. Tan creamy head.

S - A little cocoa, dark fruit, raisins, a bit funky "wet hay" smell, tobacco.

T - Sour and funky with hints of red wine vinegar. Strong notes of pomegranate and sour apple. Absolutely no hop character, but rather finishes with malty richness, almost caramel-like. It tastes a bit like a lambic but way more pleasant than a Faro or something.

Final verdict. This is one complex and peculiar little beer and one which I would love to drink with pork and sauteed mushrooms.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a GI glass (not sure the type).

This one pours a golden-amber color with a fluffy, milk colored head. Very little retention.

The nose offers some vinegar, sour apples, pears, and champagne yeast. A bit muddled.

The taste is similar to the nose but involves much more apple offerings. A sweet opening gives way to apples and a bit of cherries. Following the fruitiness comes a bit of vinegar and finishes pretty tart. The sweetness carries on to a bready aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is prickly tart and has an amble amount of carbonation that carries the flavors throughout the palate.

Overall, this one contributes to my budget busting sour curiosity and tastes great.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

this is a favorite of mine, first introduced to me by my brother.

pours great with a good head. I find it best served slightly chilled or at room temperature. it has a beautiful color somewhere near a dark brownish red. the smell is simple and sweet and slightly sour smelling. the taste is stunning. passion fruit with a hint of chocolate are the flavors dominating. very sweet with an bit of an apple like aftertaste. goes down smooth, almost too smooth! the alcohol is not present at all, this beer is a great way to finish the night! Thanks, Bro!

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Served from bottle into a Bell's tulip. Poured a deep reddish brown with a two finger off white head with a slight light tan hue that subsided to half a finger very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, cherries, raspberries, and subtle wood. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, sour, tart, subtle earth, and raspberries. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall there is not a lot you can say bad about this brew. Once upon a time I saw this on the closeout section at Duckworth's, I drank the entire stock of 12 oz bottles they had. Oops... Definitely has an excellent and inviting aroma going on here and a great flavor to go along with that. Everything on this one just works really well together. A great example of the style if you ask me. An absolute must try for any sour fan out there if you have not already.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe