Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
SurlyDuff

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Caged and corked bomber.

Into my glass and it reveals its dark cherry color. A thin ring of lace hangs around for a while.

Sour cherry, ketchup, vinegar in the nose. Despite being unusual, it's certainly appealing in some way.

It's an edgy flavor, but I think it does a good job. There's other fruit flavors in there too. Notably grapes, plums, apple, etc.

THe aftertaste is noticably smooth and enjoyable. The lingering flavors are not acidic or anything. If anything, there's a bit of viscous/syrupy quality to it. I look forward to finishing the bottle off. At 6%, it is very drinkable and really grows on me.

This is definitly not your typical brew, especially for here in the states. It's true to the Flander's style in many ways, but also adds a lot of interesting characteristics.

02-21-2008 03:44:37 | More by SurlyDuff
MerkinMan

Georgia

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap into a wide mouthed red wine style glass.

This beer is a beautiful ruby color and smells like sherry. I would bet that people who did not know any better would mistake this for sherry.

The taste is malty, but the sherry / sour cherry taste takes the lead. A very interesting beer, and one you may need to be in the mood for.

Mouthfeel is good, a little to be desired.

I could drink more of these, and probably will though they will likely be one at a time.

An excellent beer. Recommended.

02-21-2008 01:07:27 | More by MerkinMan
mithrascruor

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a very deep crimson color with off-white dense film-like head.

Smell: Unusual but generally pleasant aroma. Reminds of apple cider vinegar, but a bit more mellowed out.

Taste: Very tart, but also sweet. Semi-bitter cherries, vinegar, sugar... Finish of crisp apples and a tart aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium bodied with a quite smooth mouthfeel. Very little carbonation; noticable most at the finish.

Drinkability: Though not a session beer (drink it slow), the taste really grows on the drinker. Perfect ABV with an intriguing taste.

Really one of the most unusual beers I've had. Takes a few minutes to adjust to, but overall I am enjoying it! Quite an enjoyable surprise; well worth checking out! I'll have to get this again.

02-18-2008 04:08:26 | More by mithrascruor
kleffman

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Finally getting to try the Duchesse after having numerous examples of the Flanders Red style that impressed me. I continually hear that this is the supreme example of the style so we'll see.

Pours a dark very clear ruby red and brown color into a Chimay goblet. Slight head and retention with only a little lacing. Quite beautiful looking in this wide mouth glass.

Aroma has a definite vinegar presence with a TON of tart cherries and vanilla from the oak. Smells acidic and I'm in for a treat.

Taste is just as it smells but way more complex and very little vinegar! Mostly incredible tart cherry vanilla flavors with oak, earthy yeast characters and slight raspberry hints. Really sweet with a tart background. Perfectly balanced and really complex however.

The mouthfeel is an incredible lively, smooth and refreshing experience. I want more. I wish it wasn't quite so expensive, I could keep this constantly on hand. I would love one of these every single Friday after work. Very high drinkability, and an extreme enjoyability. I can't imagine much better for the style. Only the Rodenbach beers match it in my opinion.

02-16-2008 07:29:44 | More by kleffman
Chinookie

District of Columbia

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

I have had this beer on many occasions, even having it on tap at home a couple of times (since it is the wife's favorite). But I thought I would write a review for the bottle we drank last night, aged just over three years. Although I did not taste it side-by-side with a new bottle, my wife and I are familiar enough with the flavor to notice the differences.

For Valentine's Day I pulled out of the cellar the bottle I had been aging since June 2005 to pair with the chocolate dipped strawberries. The expiration date on the cork said Nov. 2007, so I suspect bottling date was Nov. 2004. I had stored this in my cellar on its side.

Served in the brewery-designed glasses, it poured clear dark reddish brown. The head was thinner and with bigger bubbles than new bottles, and head retention was also a lot weaker.

The aroma was roughly the same (cherry, brown/candi sugar, some balsamic vinegar) with a bit more wood.

The flavor and mouthfeel were noticeably different and better than the fresh version. First, the texture was lighter than normal and more velvety. The flavor profile was very similar--sweet, cherry tart, a bit woody, sugary--but the usual balsamic acidity in the finish was gone, making it more drinkable and enjoyable.

It paired very well with the chocolate-dipped strawberries.

I highly recommend to fans of this beer to age some in a cool dark place for three years. I can't imagine that it could get better, so probably wise not to keep much longer.

02-16-2008 05:39:25 | More by Chinookie
seaoflament

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a dark ruby color with a fluffy two inch mass of foam. Great retention and some lacing as I drink.

Aromas of tart cherries, oak, caramel malt, vinegar and hints of vanilla. The aroma reminds me a bit of strawberries and cream. Tart and sour strawberries with the acidity and sweetness of sour cream.

Taste is good. Sweet berry flavor right away with a tangy vinegar finish. A huge taste of ripe fruits, peaches, strawberries, grapes, and an oak flavor binding everything together. I thought this one would be more sour or at least tart but it's pretty sweet.

Well carbonated and delicate on the palate.

It's a good beer. I was in the mood for something tart or sour but this one was too sweet. Even though I was in the mood for a different type of beer I still feel that the sweetness hurts the drinkability of this beer.

02-12-2008 05:42:30 | More by seaoflament
JEFFRIBEGGIN

Italy

Beer with intense tawny color and not persistent foam. The scent has wine notes and after a persistent acidulous tone. In mouth you have a persistent acidulous tone and then you can feel a yielded tone. A little bit bitter for fight acidulous note. Not to drink alone.

02-05-2008 12:43:13 | More by JEFFRIBEGGIN
Proteus93

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Red with an amber hue through the flute. A rich, deep, head that leaves liberal sticky lacing behind.

S: Something of a plum-like scent? Almost like the fruit in a wooden crate, maybe a little closer to a mass of cherries in a shipping crate. Can't really make out the specific fruity aroma, but it is certainly Almost a touch of a solvent like aroma in there - it's not cedar, but that's what is coming to mind at the moment.

T/M/D: Crisp, tart fruits. Peeled cherries, lightly spiced, but sour through the end. Maybe a little more on the sweet than sour side, and something of a champagne like taste and mouthfeel in there. The puckering sensation leans more towards being lip-smacking than a cheek-sucked in sourness. An intriguing ale, and a style that I'd like to look into further.

02-03-2008 02:49:03 | More by Proteus93
objectivemonkey

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Flanders red indeed, a beautiful crimson brown color with nice whitish head and some spiderweb lacing that otherwise fizzles out until warmed. The aroma smells of sour and tart fruits, red skinned ones, cherry, red apple, plum, and vinegar for some reason.

The taste similarly puts on a display of sweet, tart, sour fruits, follows the grape to an almost vinous quality, earthy and complex and... vinegar again? (Now, I'm not the biggest vinegar fan, far from it, but it seems ok here for some odd reason, but still, pushing my buttons.) Sweetens a bit with a juicy body through the middle only to tart up and dry out a bit at end.

The body is mostly medium, a spritzy effervescent carbonation. The great thing about this beer is it ages well, and because I have to really be in the mood for this style (though when I do, I really crave it), that makes it all the better. In all, a delightful brew, one I've had on a few occasions now, both in bottle and on tap. Always a treat.

(Also, I should note, after reviewing this beer, I broke out some Saint Andre cheese with raspberry preserves and Brenton crackers, they all played together nicely.)

02-02-2008 03:13:32 | More by objectivemonkey
Rezzin

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

A - Poured into a tulip glass. 1/4" tan head that doesn't hang out long. Color is a deep mahogany red and it's crystal clear. I expected it to be bottle conditioned but I didn't notice any trace yeast in the bottle. Looks quite appealing.

S - Wow, the aroma is incredible. Complex with fruity notes. Cherries, plums, some tartness in the nose. Slight barnyard character - sweet caramal.

T - This is an excellent flanders red - the sweet and tart is perfectly balanced. There's that a ever so slight barnyard character that just perfectly compliments the flavors in my mouth. You have to search for the barnyard - it's very slight. Sour cherries, raspberries, maybe even some plum with a nice balanced sweetness. I'm loving these sour beers right now!

M - Medium to light body with a nice acidic crispness. Moderately carbonated.

D - I've died and gone to sour beer heaven. I love this beer. I'm looking forward to trying other examples of this style to see what i'm missing. If this is not one of the better ones then I'm in for a real treat!

01-28-2008 05:14:14 | More by Rezzin
Georgiabeer

Georgia

Finally got around to reviewing this classic of the style. Had a bottle at the Brick Store poured into the appropriate glassware. Poured red without much head or lacing, but still pretty to look at. Sweet and sour aromas of apples and cherries and a lightly acetic quality. The taste has that same sweet/sour combo as its main thread of flavor. Added to that are flavors of spiced cherries, a bit of oaky woodiness, and a developing creamy sweetness with a hint of bitter tannins right at the finish. Mouthfeel is creamy and soft and a bit sweet. This is on the low side in the sour spectrum that this style encompasses. Very nice, if not quite as complex as some others. Still, relatively easy to find and a solid brew.

01-26-2008 16:01:15 | More by Georgiabeer
Graham5161986

British Columbia (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

A: pours a clear, deep red colour with a nice, tan head that quickly dissipates to a thin layer of film and leaves a nice sticky lace.

S: rich aromas of ripe fruit and spice (cherry and plum dominate), lots of caramely sweetness as well - nice and pronounced

T: sweet and sour cherries throughout with hints of apple and spice on the finish (possibly a tad of red wine on the finish as well) - quite complex, very strong, and nicely balanced.

M: medium bodied and very crisp, good carbonation and a throat tingling spicy finish.

D: A great beer. Very strong aromas and flavours, well crafted and quite easy to drink despite it's relatively high ABV. I could put a couple of these in a night, but I would rather sip it slowly to discover the many flavours hidden in this very fruit-forward ale. I highly recommend that everyone try this beer and I will definitely be buying this one again.

01-25-2008 10:20:52 | More by Graham5161986
dsa7783

3.05/5  rDev -26.7%

Purchased an 11.2 oz bottle from Total Wine and More in Union, the first Flanders Red Ale I ever tried, and to be honest, I was pretty overwhelmed with the cloying, thick, rich, and ultra-sweet taste I encountered... nice ruby-red appearance with decent frothy head... smell is sharp and sweet, full of pine, sugars, and candy... taste is extremely rich and ultra dominating, very, very sweet with a strong apple-cider taste overpowering the beer... the smell is strongly alcoholic even though there is a modest 6.2% ABV... With such a strong and rich combination of flavors, this is definitely not a brew that I would want to down more than one of in a single setting... Copped this single sample for about $4.99... Very over-powering and strong... took it easy with this one... you will either love it or hate it...

01-23-2008 00:03:33 | More by dsa7783
Patrick999

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Very nice looking Flemish red. Dark mahogany, excellent head and retention. Probably the best I've seen.

S - Fruity and woody, a little incense.

T - Not really enough sour for my liking, this is overbalanced toward the sweet. I like the slight funky, woody, sasparilla/birch beer-like tang halfway through; that's about the only thing that cuts the sweetness. Of course, this is quite tasty even though it's too sweet. It tastes so good, I'm still going to give it high marks.

F - Highly carbonated, it's kinda burpy. Avoids stickiness, no small feat given the sweetness.

D - It's very easy to drink, though I feel the sweetness could get in the way. This is well-done, but I prefer the sour, more-difficult Rodenbach Grand Cru.

01-21-2008 22:09:45 | More by Patrick999
RevChico

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Poured into a goblet. Color was a mixture between mahogany and cherry wood. When poured head was about one finger thick, which dissapated rather fast. Lacing was exceptional and was there for the entire beer.

S: I picked up a good amount of different scents in this one... Dark fruit came though, as well as a very strong port wine scent, toasty, currants, molasses, peat, soy sauce, and a faint hint of chocolate.

T: Sweet up front then went into a tart dark berry & cherry profile. One of the flavors that was lingering in the background that took me a minute to put a finger on was toasted almond. Chocolate was there but very faint as well. This beer for sure had some flavor charactaristics that were similar to a port wine.
Very nice after taste.

M: Medium body, nice bubble feel on the tongue.

D: I think it's a great beer but I could only go for a few of them due to the sweetness.

The bottle I poured had been aged for at least two years in my cellar. I can't really remember what it tasted like when I drank it when I first got my hands on a few bottles. I do not remember there being as many scents at the time though. Over all a very nice beer. Would lend itself very well to many different foods.

01-18-2008 00:28:00 | More by RevChico
bonbini26

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

a: Deep mahogany to brown. Cream colored head fades to a thin layer. Nice lacing.

s: Smells of tart fruit, cherry in particular and cola.

t: The combination sweetness and cherry reminds me of a cherry coke. Light tartness balances the sweetness. Low acidity for the style.

m: Carbonation is lively which complements the style.
Light to medium body.

d: Typical drinkability for style. I would drink a few if the sweetness didn't catch up to me. The sourness is more subdued than the other Flanders Ales I've tried. More sourness would help balance the sweetness.

01-18-2008 00:15:59 | More by bonbini26
hopsleeroy

1.95/5  rDev -53.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

I was excited to give this style a shot. This is my first experience with the Flanders Red. Looked very nice on the pour with a deep copper body and a very minimal white head that dissipated quickly. The smell-lets say a tad sour. Reminded me of the fruity flavors and strong scent of balsamic vineagar. The taste was sour cherries! It just blasts you right up front and them dissipates. The Duchesse is well carbonated which accentuates the sour flavor up front then swallows fairly clean. The sour was too much for me. I felt like I was drinking vineagar. I only managed 4-5 sips and was done. There is a lot of flavor in there but the sour/vineagar flavor was so overwhelming it was hard to enjoy everything this beer has to offer. Everyone should give this a shot, but you may learn like me that this flavor does not suit your tastebuds.

01-17-2008 16:18:06 | More by hopsleeroy
Skidud313

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

My first try of this style. Been looking forward to it and it didn't disappoint.

Poured a deep burgundy/mahogany. A little over a finger of head, retention and lacing are incredible. Smells a bit tart and sweet. Tastes very unique, sort of sweet, almost cidery. I got more apples than the berries and cherries others were getting.

Very carbonated, dances on the tongue.

Looking forward to more like this.

01-15-2008 05:52:22 | More by Skidud313
Stoneman78

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A- Pours a medium-ruby red hue, off-white head is soapy and bubbly that mostly dissipates, clumps of lace on the glass
S- Tart fruits, berries, cherries, cola, touch of red wine and vinegar
T- Initial taste is red wine and vinegar, followed by wood, cherries, and berry fruits, finishes sweet and tart
M- Medium-bodied, watery texture, amped up carbonation
D- A solid embodiment of this style and perhaps one of the most popular that I've heard of, a very interesting ale that marries sour beer with a wine-like profile, this definitely makes me want to seek out more Flanders Reds in the future

01-11-2008 07:08:18 | More by Stoneman78
nbree00

2.28/5  rDev -45.2%

This beer pours a beautiful deep brown with a reddish tint to it. The smell was pleasant with a sort of spiced cherry aroma coming through, however I was not very impressed with the carbonation which seemed to be low. The taste for me was pretty overwhelmingly sweet, no apparent sourness to better balance the flavors out. You can taste some of the roasted malts but other then that pretty bland with a cherry-banana sweetness coming through that makes it pretty hard to drink, definitely a sipping beer. Overall I didn't care for it much

01-10-2008 23:24:07 | More by nbree00
jenbys2001

Japan

2.15/5  rDev -48.3%

I bought this beer as part of a mixed six pack on a recommendation from a friend. I had high hopes for it since I have a fixation on Belgian beers. Unfortunately though I was really disappointed. It's one of the few premium beers that I sincerely disliked.

For me the flavor is far too cloying and sweet. It tasted similar to a heavy sweet wine rather than beer. Although I did enjoy the after taste. The lingering flavor is very nutty, almost coffee like- which I would attribute to the oak casks. Although the color is very appealing and the smell is fairly pleasant and spicy I did not like the lack of carbonation. It gave the beer a syrupy quality that I did not enjoy. Definitely a sipping beer, but my husband and I had a hard time finishing one 11.2 ounce bottle between the two of us.

However, if you enjoy very sweet beverages you might appreciate this beer.

01-09-2008 17:39:24 | More by jenbys2001
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 750ml green bottle.
Best by Dec 2008 according to the cork.

s: Smells of tart fruit, cherry in particular and cola.

t: The combination of coca-cola sweetness and cherry reminds me of a cherry coke. Light tartness balances the sweetness. Low acidity for the style.

m: Carbonation is lively which complements the style.
Light to medium body.

One of the better Flanders ales I've had.
Its no La Folie, but nothing is.

01-07-2008 02:34:21 | More by BradLikesBrew
bloberglawp

Quebec (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Duchesse de Bourgogne falls into a style that is very rare here, sour ales. Fortunately (I think), at least the FEW beers the goverment commisioned liquor board does import are quite good and that includes this one.

Pour deep mohagany red, white head that dissipates quicky to a thin film and leaves behind medium lacing. Big aroma of fruit, tartness, barnyard hay and light vinegar caracter. Suberb taste of wild berries, yogurt lacticity and husky unmalted grain.

Very interesting ale, wish I could get more flander reds, oud bruns and lambics up here.

01-04-2008 03:37:41 | More by bloberglawp
BucBasil

South Carolina

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Poured into a tulip glass from the 11oz bottle. At first glance black, but when held to light some ruby notes shine through. Head is offwhite, one finger thick, and dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: The first whiff of this crazy brew is vinous, especially richer red wines, which really caught me off guard. Futher exploration reveals a tangy sweet raspberry aroma, as well as an off alcohol note.

Taste: Wonderfully unique and unlike any other beer in existence. Has a great raspberry-like introduction, and follows up in the midpalate with a sort of cherry pie flavor (crust and all). Finishes extremely tangy and sweet, but also smooth and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Prickly and medium bodied but surprisingly smooth going down.

Drinkability: I don't think I could do more than on of these at a time because of the intense sweetness of the beer. However, it's a great change of pace if you want something really out of the ordinary.

01-03-2008 23:51:40 | More by BucBasil
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

330ml poured into my Kasteel tulip. Picked up in trade.

Short lasting 1/2" head.. atop a beautiful brown brew with crystal clear deep red highlites.

Aroma is sweet and definately vinegar like... Unexpected sweet and sour cherry aroma... wine/tawyny port notes in the nose.

Flavor has Balsamic characteristics for sure... Sweet red wine and cidery with cherry notes... as it warms dark dried fruits play a bigger role, prunes raisins and sugary dates.. big woody oakey overtones throughout.. interesting... not nearly as sour as expected.. creamy lite/medium body and an active carbonation pushes the flavors through my mouth making me want another taste... Oakey Strawberries mascerated with Balsamic BURPS!

I've had 2 other bottles of this one, but this one aged for a while... I have no idea if the cellaring helped, but I am appreciating this one more than previous notes signify.. I would buy this again and again if it were available in Boise... but after reviewing it, I would let most sit for a long while before capping another.

01-03-2008 10:26:18 | More by JohnGalt1