Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,602 | Reviews: 1,425
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: The appearance poured darker than I expected being more dark brown/black in color at first then dimming to a firm brownish-red as I tilted the glass. Either way it was pretty. The head was creamy and laced nicely in a tulip glass.

Smell: Very fruity smell with a soft oaky background. Minute sourness and it was soft and pleasant.

Taste: Sour but not overbearing. It was more tart (sour) upfront followed by a nice sweetness both in a balanced combination. The fruity smell definitely came out when drinking.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation was nice and subtle. Had almost the consistency of a lambic and was pretty tart making my mouth pucker.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. This was a unique style of beer having been my first Flanders Red but with that said, I would drink another right now if I had one :)

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

Review is working off notes from a few nights ago...

A- Beer poured a muddy brown. Very little head and moderate lacing.

S- A very tart fruit on the nose. Sour.

T- A sour, tart fruit taste, with a subtle champagne presence. The champagne subtetly highlights this beer for me.

M - The tartness pleasingly puckers, but it seems a bit thin.

O - The bomber size is as about as much as I would want. I enjoyed the sour experience, but I hope to find something more to my liking next time I venture for something deemed sour.

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Best before September 9th 2012, and ready to roll.

A nice somewhat foamy head that is sort of cream and off red/white in appearance. Sits on a dark brown/red body resembling almost pancake syrup like in color.

Bouquet is very unique. A faint brown sugar, smoked wood chips, sour fruit and yeast all combine to make a real interesting nose. Hints of brett"y" saison quality. Real nice.

Taste is a very tolerable sourness, and what feels like maltyness and brown sugar on the finish. Both sour and sweet at the same time. A little bit of tight prickly carbonation though, and a bit of a wet mouthfeel.

Even still drinkability is pretty solid. I would have this more often if it wasn't so pricey.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Deep brown, and ruby reds. Covered by a cream color head that is sticky.

S - Aromas of oak, some deep fruits. Soft nose

T - Lots of cherry throughout this taste. Somewhat tart in the begining but very smooth. There was caramel and chocolate in there as well. a tartness and dryness fineshes off the palate. Strong malt flavors as well.

M - Interesting mouthfeel that is dynamic, Tart, sweet, dry. It is a little bit of a wonderful trip through the flavors and it was enjoyable throughout.

D - Incredibly drinkable. I split this with a friend and wanted more.

I felt like every taste brought a new flavor to the table. It was incredibly dynamic and smooth. I really enjoyed this beer and I am glad I picked up a second bottle to age in my celar for future enjoyment.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

A-Pours a dark, purplish red color with one finger of creamy, off white head.

S-Apple cider and balsamic vinegar with green apples, caramel, and some oak.

T-Sweet and slightly sour with a bit of barnyard character.

M-Pretty smooth and rich in the mouth with light carbonation,

D-Wow, I was expecting quite a bit more sourness but this reminds me a lot of Lindeman's Faro with a bit of sour.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Having recently purchased an oak barrel for homebrewing purposes, I needed to "research" some barrel aged "sours," as that's what I'm looking towards.

Sweet Duchesse here begins a quest that will surely destroy my bank account, home life, and possibly work life as well. So it goes.

She is nice and red, i mean a darker kind of sexy red, not ginger. Smells of vinegar and oak with some kind of fruity sweetness...a good sign.

Fantastic mouth feel, high carbonation. Taste's of sweet, sour cherry and beer, minor funk cuts through to make it interesting. Drink it too quick and all you get in vinegar, so don't. I'll be drinking this again.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a ruby brown color, with a 3 finger off white head with nice retention and lacing. Nice aroma. It has tart cherries, green apples, cider vinegar, oak, and barnyard funk.

The taste is sweeter than I expected. Sweet and tart cherries, sweet green apple, oak, vanilla, and sugar. The barnyard funk and the cider vinegar I detected in the aroma, do not appear in the taste. This is wonderfully complex.

Medium bodied with medium carbonation. The aftertaste is slightly sweet and slightly sour. This is a very nice Flanders Red Ale. I recommend this beer highly.

3.56/5  rDev -14.4%

Duchesse De Bourgogne has a reddish brown colour and a decent 5 mm head that fades to lacing quite quickly. The smell is sour and vinegary with a hint of sweetness. Some sour apple and.. some flavour... I can't put my finger on it... maybe umami. The aftertaste is smooth and good with smallest hint of bitterness. The texture is foamy pretty thick. Overall, a very nice sour ale.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Lovely clear, deep red/brown. Medium buff-coloured head, subsides quickly, lace persists.

Smells of tart fruit, red berries, hint of acetic. Something else interesting I recognise, but annoyingly can't place, hits the back of the nose.

On tasting, irst impression is sourness (but pleasantly so). Tart and refreshing, unsweetened fruit, a hint of caramel sweetness in the finish, with lingering stewed apples. Some malt, no bitterness at all. Refreshing sweet-and-sour, vinous.

Medium bodied, a definite tingle on the tongue and roof of the mouth, good lively carbonation, just right.

Very drinkable, clean and refreshing, unusual and interesting flavours, and well-balanced sour and sweet. Very complex, won't tire of contemplating the many nuances. An excellent beer I hope to be drinking regularly.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

A- Reddish brown, very clean when light is shone through. Head dissipated quickly, leaving a soapy presence. Good Carbonation.

S- Sweet, Oak and tart acidic notes, very subtle.

T- Sweet and sour duel on a tight rope. The transparency and complexity of this beer seems unreel. You have to look into it. Has a tart fruit aspect with the fruit being very subtle or short rather, as it is there. As it warms fruity notes begin to propagate.

M- Medium, decent carbonation activity on tongue, has a puckering aspect.

D- Wonderfully drinkable, and quite interesting. Has wine like qualities.

O- I'm into this. I want to travel to Flanders now and get into all the sour shit they have. The beer was more sweet to me than sour, but not overly.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a dark reddish amber to brown. Two fingers of white head go away but leave some lacing.

Smell: Sweet and sour with hints of fruit and caramel.

Taste: Tastes like a sour caramel apple. Fruity notes with a mild sourness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a dry finish.

Drinkability: I like this beer, but it is a bit too sweet for a sour ale in my opinion.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: It was served on tap at the Blue Monk in Buffalo NY and presented in a tulip glass.

Appearance: The Duchesse De Bourgogne comes to the table sporting a small creamy off white head over a dark and hazy reddish brown body. It is full of lively carbonation rushing up to the head which has great retention and leaves perfect lace ring after each sip.

Smell: The aroma has lots of delicate tart fruit and wine like character with light woody and nutty nuances and some mellow malt sweetness.

Taste/Palate: Like the aroma its flavor displays notes of sour cherry, tart raspberry, browned apple peel and red wine backed by dry woody oak and some light yeast funk. This is balanced by some bready malt with mild sweetness. Everything is nicely balanced and slowly fades into a smooth dry finish. The palate has a lively well carbonated medium feel with tons of complexity and a mild sour pucker.

Notes: The wonderful balance of flavor and body works to give it lots of complex character and drinkability. I would highly recommend to both wine and beer drinkers who like sours.

3.82/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured a very amber/redish hue with a thick head. The initial aroma was sour and vinegar but when it opened I got spice specifically cinnamon (my wife actually got that).

The acidity stays with the beer as I drink but it mellows and there is a little sweetness before the sour takes over. My first impression of the taste was not great however as I drink I find this beer growing on me. It is very good for its style but not an everyday beer for me.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

A-A dark red color. Nice foamy head that retains well. A good amount of carbonation bubbles streaming up to the head.

S-Vinegar smell is what I got fist but also tart apples. The funky aroma that one would expect from a Belgian beer.

T-An upfront tartness. Good blend of sour and sweet. Pleasant apple taste. And just when you think the sweetness is over powering you get a good and lighting fast bitterness that leaves just as fast to cut through the sweetness.

M-Very foamy and full of zest from the carbonation. Slightly chew but still light.

D-Extremely drinkable. I think it would be perfect to have on a nice summer day sitting out on the deck or proch to end the day.

3.96/5  rDev -4.8%

25cl bottle poured into glass
Date on bottle: 06/10/2012

A: Pours red/dark brown. Moderate head retention, no lacing.

S: Funky. Like a weak vinegar. A bit on the unpleasant side.

T: Excellent balance of tartness and sweetness. Very flavoursome.

M: Medium feel and carbonation.

D: The 25cl bottles are far too small for this beer. Very drinkable.

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%

2006 Vintage, sampled on Jan. 22, 2011

Deep red, brownish color. Extremely pungent smell. Almost like vinegar. The smell almost overpowers everything else. The taste is much better than the smell. This stuff goes down much too easily. Very complex and drinkable, almost too drinkable. Dangerous. Very, very nice. We paired it with a brie with currant jelly. Very nice mixture.

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured into my Lindeman's stange-flute.Ruby color with an off white to light brown heading. Very alive looking from the pour to the bitter end.

Smell is not what I expected. The tart aroma is there but very weak and is sidelined by a somewhat vinegear aroma? Some sweeter belgian candy notes but again very week.

Taste is extremely sweet with a heavy belgian candy like sugar and brown sugar. The tartness does pull through to peek it's head through but can not match the overpowering sweetness.

Mouth is heavily carbonated with a heavy thump of syrup on the palate that linger's for a bit.

All and all a bit disappointing. I expected a sour treat and I got a sugar bomb. Oh well.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

11.2 oz bottle via a tulip glass

A: Reddish brown, with a nice copper head

S: Cherries, plums, oak

T: A fantastic mix of fruity, sour, and tart flavors. As other have stated, the taste has the same characteristics as the smell. Nice cherry/plum like flavors upfront, with a tart sour finish.

M: Somewhat thin, with the right amount of fizz.

D: An 11.2 oz is the perfect serving size for this style beer. More than one might be overkill. But I'll definitely buying a few more to stash and drink at a later time.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Pours a brownish-red with good head retention. Lacing forms as the tasting progresses.
Smell: Cherry and fruity in nature. Also can detect a bit of red wine.
Taste: Fruity start with cherry, wine, currant, and a little raisin. The sour notes arise toward the middle of the tasting with a bready finish.
Mouthfeel: Medium and lively. Smooth until the sour notes hit.
Drinkability: Very drinkable,but probably not a brew best served for sessions. More appropriate for slower and enjoyable tastings.

Overall- Extremely complex. I love the Flanders red style (as long as they are well-constructed). This hits the mark.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Brown with a red tint and a one finger white head.

S- Sweet cherries and grapes, hints of tart apples and oak. Wine like.

T- Very close to the smell. Fruit flavors are great. Sweetness up front is balanced by a tart finish.

M- Smooth, crisp.

D- Easy to drink and enjoy. It is something that I would not like to drink a lot of, but it feels perfect for splitting a 750 mL with someone when have a nice meal.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

750 ml
Expiration Date 08/2012

A - Delicate small bubble Belgian lace. Red orange glow.

S - Sour apple and grapes. Akin to a fine dry white wine. Faint oak aroma.

T - Sour with a perfect balance of sweet sensation. White grapes. Delicious delicious funk.

M - Perfectly carbonated. Decadent.

D - Brilliant. I could drink this for hours until I succumb to a happiness comatose state.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Notes from 01/04/2011:

Best before: 11/30/2011. 330 mL bottle at 48 degrees into a Boon Kriek flute.

A: It pours a transluscent red color, similar to over-steeped tea - with a finger of frothy film that falls slowly until it forms a thin-bubbled circle on the edges of the glass.

S: Sour, wine-like aromas, cherries, plums, and a background woodiness showing the oak-aging.

T: Sweet and especially sour and lactic cherries with a sweet and oaky taste taking over leading to a very clean finish.

M: The body is medium and wine-like with a decent amount of carbonation and a crisp, palate-cleansing finish.

D: This is terrific drinking and is not overly sweet or sour like others in its style.

4.41/5  rDev +6%

Presentation: 750 mL cork and cage bottle poured into tulip glass

Appearance: Beer pours a deep reddish-brown with a fluffy cream-colored head that starts off big and dissipates into a small film on the surface, with some of the most amazing lacing I've ever seen

Aroma: Sort of a sweet, musty cherry smell with a slight tart kick and a little funk, not as much as expected though

Flavor: Delicious. Tart cherries up front with some nice raisin/plum sweetness balancing the whole thing out. Some definite malty tones stand out in this one...edging on the side of an Oud Bruin (even though BA classifies it as a red). A tiny amount of hop bitterness graces the finish. Great to see how the flavor opens up as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and silky, with very balanced carbonation.

Drinkability: Amazingly drinkable, especially for a style that people seem to think is less accessible. I really enjoyed this a lot and could easily foresee drinking a whole bottle by myself. Great price, too! $10/bottle for something that is definitely as good as much more expensive ones.

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

I am a big Belgian drinker so I had high hopes for his one.

Look is exceptional, nice 1 finger head, deep cherry wood color, I am getting excited.

smell is very complex, malt and I could detect rasin, oak lots of things going on here.

Taste is very complex, a bit almost too sweet, trappist yeast, interesting, but not the belgin I was expecting

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%

So, I need to admit a prejudice against Flemmish reds as I go into this review. As a self admitted hop adict, it's just not my "go to" style. Nonetheless I went ahead and ordered a 350ml bottle tonight and I was favorably impressed.

As others have noted, this guy brings a Great pour to the table. I was impressed, but, alas, my beer was too cold, so I had to cuddle it for a while. Once warmed, a lot of the sour notes mellowed out and it became quite drinkable.

Still, I had the feeling I was missing something. Perhaps it's just my palate, but the sour notes overpowered everything else the beer might have had to offer.

Based on past experiences with Belgians, I toyed with the idea that food might help, so I paired some frites with mayo with it. Much to my surprise, the salt on the frites really did a number on this one, opening up a whole new range if flavors I hadn't noticed before.

So, word of caution. Come to this knowing it'll taste profoundly different from almost anything else you'll easily find.

As always, my 2¢ only...

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe