Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

poured from 330ml bottle to a snifter.

A: Deep, turbulent brown with some ruby hi-lights. A frothy I finger off white head that fades slowly to a swirled film.

S: Terrific smell - is it sweet? Is it sour? Hints of vinegar are comingled with malty/candy sweetness.

T: Just as mixed as the smell, different flavors are busy all at once. Sour/tart apples at the start, caramel & soda pop sweetness in the finish. Dry finish of malt. I really like that the tart bite mellows to a brown sugar-y sweetness

M: I found the beer to be heavily carbonated, even spritzy, like soda. Good mouthfeel, medium body.

D: As much as I lked the smell/flavor sensations this beer offers, it's easy to stop at one. In fact, I could have stopped at half of one, though not because I didn't like it. A lovely, magical beer but enjoyable in small quantities, for me at least. I could see this beer as suitable for a digestif or apertif.

msubulldog25, Jul 21, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Beautiful looking beer; deep mahogany, caramel highlights, thick taupe head. Aroma hints at much sourness underneath, along with green apples and some unrefined sugar. On the palate, surprisingly sweet, especially at first, with soft carbonation that holds the sourness at bay for a bit. In the mid-palate, the sourness comes out, but it's still attenuated by a significant malt presence. Bubblegum, jolly ranchers, and a hint of nickel in the finish. Considering the substantial sweetness here, the finish is unexpectedly dry. Overall, a good Flemish red, but not the best I've had -- I'm looking for something with a bit more dry sourness.

geexploitation, Jul 21, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

I was glad the other reviewers cleared up what I was thinking about this ale: Was it ale or hard cider? I bought this on a whim at Whole Foods in Jericho NY while trying to follow up on the great beers of Beligum in the tradition of Westmalle, etc.

The creamy head with bubbles overflowed with an apple/champagne taste that was so strange in a delightful way I continued to explore the whole 750ml. I put it down for while and came back to see if it would change.

As no change came with time, I thought this would be great with pork or with a spiced ham.

bonbright7, Jul 21, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

I was introduced to this beer the other night and I was really confused at first smell as to why this beer was held in such high regard...then I tasted it and my world was flipped upside down. I got to drink this out of a Duchesse de Bourgogne glass that my friend gave me.

This beer poured a silky reddish brown color with a nice looking head that clung to the glass nicely.

The aroma threw me at first. I thought it was a bad bottle because I immediately picked up on a buttery vinegar-like aroma. This aroma and whatever I had left sitting on my palate from my last beer didn't jive well at all. As soon as I got acclimated to the flavor of this beer the aroma became enticing and very complex.

The flavor was something else. It has a buttery presence in the mouth with some mild tartness. The flavor that I would have called vinegar before was acclimated to this beer became something else. I believe maybe a oak influenced sourness that is mild and adds to the complexity of this beer. It finishes somewhat dry and leaves you mouth with still developing flavors. I need to clean out some cupboard space for beers like this one now.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with medium to low carbonation. It coats the mouth nicely but is not cloying.

The drinkability of this one is good for say me, but I would say it is a lot lower for inexperienced palates.

This is definately a beer to pick up and try. Drink it with a few friends or they will never believe you.

Brian700, Jul 18, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance: Very deep, dark, cola red-brown. Decent-sized head with mediocre retention.

Smell: Oaky barrels of red wine, bursting with blackberry-esque tartness and undercurrents of of tobacco, burnt sugar, and slight lactic acid. Unique and extremely sumptuous, an aroma that really enlivens the senses and gets the old salivary glands a-pumpin'.

Taste: Beautifully tart through-and-through but not at all puckering, a sourness of juicy green apples and green strawberries. Well-balanced and refreshing with a tart and bittersweet finish; very vinous, complex, and delicious.

Mouthfeel: Zippy and sharp to match the sourness, but smooth and silky at the same time.

Drinkability: This is just so damn good, I could drink it all night.

soulgrowl, Jul 17, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Cork exploded off the 750ml bottle without much effort. Poured a dark brownish red color with a nice creamy head. Smell is sour with vinegar and I can pick up a bit of the oak as well . Taste starts out quite smooth, then the tartness hits you and continues to build making way for a surpisingly clean and dry finish. Wow! Great Flanders Red Ale, however I do believe Rodenbach Grand Cru is far superior. A stellar brew nonetheless.

cjgator3, Jul 14, 2006

Black brownish in initial color. Found dark red tints when I held it to the light. It had a nice dark tan head.
Smelled of vinegar and fruit. It definitely had a sour tinge to it not unlike a red wine.
It tastes very sour and vinegary and I sensed some metalic notes. There is virtually no hop taste present. This beer tastes like a sweet red wine. There are sweet and sour notes, tart to the aftertaste. Very interesting and good if you are into sour beers.
I found this beer to go down very smoothly. The carbonation eases the beer along nicely and the aftertaste is pleasurable.
This is a very drinkable beer for sour enthusiasts.

poluti, Jul 12, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

Pours a murky dark amber color with a thin tan head.

Aroma is seriously funky, very dark and heavy with a port character to it.

Taste is very sweet and tart. Sour cherry fruityness is abundant, with little actual taste of beer. Strong carbonation. There is a wierd earthyness flavor also probably a blend of the oak and some wild fermentation.

Frankly I don't get this beer, maybe just the style since I am not familiar with it, reminds me of a lambic with the high sweetness factor.

I don't think I will be trying this again soon.

kgotcher, Jul 12, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A red brown beer with a very small head to begin with and little carbonation.

Smell of oak, with distinct acidic notes and caramel which remind me of sweet-sour cherries.

Taste is fruity and complex with sour cherries, oak and a little citrus. The beer is fresh and has very little bitterness. Mouthfeel is sticky and syrupy, that make it taste like cherrie flavored lemonade or hard candy. The sourness is overruled by the sweetnes and I feel that this beer is somewhat artificial. Body is full which inhibits drinkability.

Absumaster, Jul 11, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Well, this is a completely new experience for me. I kind of know what to expect from the descriptions I've read for Flanders Reds, but I've never had one, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm in for. Ok, here it goes...

A- Deep ruby red with a rather large head and a great deal of cascading bubbles. Beautiful beer!

S- Definitely an interesting aroma. Vinegary sour for sure, but not offputting at all. In fact, it's quite pleasant. Fruity aromas of sour grapes and cherries give it a bit of a wine-like nose. Maltiness is present with a sweet bready aroma that reminds me of my grandmother's homemade bread. Definitely unlike any beer I've had before, but it's appealing.

T- The taste is quite mild actually, not overpowering. Begins rather tart, but the sourness is soon overcome by sweetness. Flavors are complex and hard to pinpoint. Cherries are definitely present, along with a sort of orange cream flavor. Some of the sweet, bready malt is also detectable towards the end. Had that not been there, I might have been skeptical that I was drinking beer at all! The vinegar flavor lingers throughout, but I suppose that is a trademark of the style. I almost thought I caught a hint of bitterness in the finish, but it was gone before I could even attempt to grasp it. Finishes both sweet and tart with a bit of a metallic twinge. Quite the complex and interesting beer.

M- Full, smooth and creamy, very nice.

D- Excellent drinkability! Surprisingly easy to drink given the mouthfeel and all the complexities. I'd almost be bold enough to say that this is a quaffing beer, but it's really not. It could be quaffed if necessary, though.

Quite the interesting beer, and one that I had to try. I'm not sure I should be reviewing it given my inexperience with the style, but I decided, what the hell. It's actually quite good. It may take some getting used to, but this is potentially a style that I could get into. It's very different from classic American beers, though. Recommended, with reservations for newbies.

vtfan77, Jul 10, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

33 cl bottle. Best before 09-08-06. By the way, I know that often Europeans write their dates as Date-Month-Year, whereas we're more used to Month-Date-Year. Based on some of the dates I've seen, it seems the Belgians are of the Date-Month persuasion. Is this a nation- or continent-wide standard?

Ruby-brown in color with good clarity. the initially generous off-white head subsides a little but leaves plenty of lacing and doesn't go away altogether.

The nose is sweet and tart, *almost* a hint of vinegar. Wait... yeah, that's a hint of vinegar. But you know, that's not a bad thing. Fruity and sour.

Ditto the flavor (minus the vinegar), plus candy notes and that good tartness that takes up residence on the rear sides of the tongue and back of the cheeks. It's not nearly as mouth-puckering as some examples, but yeah baby, it's sour nonetheless. The flavor transitions from tart to sweet to a rather dry finish. Some cherry, and a mildly chalky element (think flavored chewable medicine tablets).

This one is smooth and pretty easy-drinking, even for a sour beer. For those just getting into the style, this may be a better jumping-off point than, say, Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Man I'm starting to like sour beers more and more...

VoodooBrew, Jul 04, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a dark brown with a ruby tint, with a bit of visible carbonation running into the head. The head is about three fingers of beige foam, and has fantastic staying power. Sticky lacing holds on in clumps along the glass.

Red wine jumps out of this brew as the dominant aroma. Vinegar, tart cherries and a mustiness all round out the smell. Overall it is very different from what I am used to smelling in a beer, however I like the effect.

The taste is delicious. A great mix of sweet and tart. Sweet cherries and candy sugar up front followed up by a puckering grape tartness to the finish. An acidity to the finish makes it that little bit more interesting.

The mouthfeel is another strength to this one. Certainly there is a thickness to it, and between the ready carbonation and the acidic finish this beer stays lively and interesting all the way down.

The overall effect of this beer mellows as the bottle comes to an end, and one is enough for me during an evening. That one is a great one though, and this is a beer I foresee keeping around. My wife really likes this one too.

elricorico, Jun 24, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

11.2 oz bottle poured chilled into a tulip glass

Pours a dark mahogony color with ruby tint. Head is thin, but a bit "lofty" (it is like a cloud in the sky) Off-white to tan color head. Decent light getting through. Decent.

Aroma is mainly of fruits (strawberries and cherries) with a strong oak wood dry aroma. Some vanilla also hits my nose as does a bit of alcohol. Maybe a bit of vinegar.

Definitely suits the style. A cherry-to-rasberry flavor up front along with a bit of oak barrel flavor. Alcohol is also on the menu as is a bit of a slight metallic taste that doesn't go well with me. Reminds me of champagne. I expected something a bit different I guess.

Thin body with a champagne quality feel. Bubbly on my tongue with a bit of alcohol biting me quick! Decent aftertaste though of souring cherries.

Overall drinkability? Not bad. I've had better in the style, but solid. The metallic flavor has me thrown a bit...maybe a "bad" batch. I'd have another just to see.

Fish113d, Jun 22, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

330ml bottle bought from De Bier Tempel, Brussels, March 2005...

Poured a deep burgundy colour with brown tinges... Creamy tan head pours quite small and fades quickly to thin layer... medium carbonation. Patchy, sticky, lacing...

Aroma - Strong sweet and sour notes, vinegary, soy sauce, leathery, can just make out some toffee malts, rum notes, no hops that i can make out, oaky, light pepperiness...

Taste – Quite sweet initially then the (balsamic) vinegariness comes through, rum, definite soy sauce hints, nutty, nice oakiness, some spicy fruitiness, (red grapes, blackcurrents), can just make out some sweet malts, again no real hop notes...

Feel - Quite smooth but with a little sharp bite underneath. Medium / full body... Probably couldn't drink more than one per sitting...

Overall - An excellent beer... Highly recommended... Probably not for everyone and i can see why it gets such a love / hate reaction - personally i think it's top notch...

mdagnew, Jun 19, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

The aroma smells of sour cherries with some alcohol and malt sweetness. It has a deep red color with a large tan head that lasts forever. The mouthfeel is slightly slick with some tartness and a little CO2 bite. The flavor is sweet, tart, fruity and delicious. The finish is still sweet but has some dryness to it. Other than this dryness I do not get much oak out of it. This is a good flanders red but I prefer them with more sourness and less sweetness. Everyone seems to be ga-ga over this one so here is a different opinion. It's good but very sweet.

beersabound, Jun 13, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Served on-tap at Sunset Bar & Grill with my lunch on June 11, 2006.

Poured a dark brown in color that was slightly translucent. Essentially flat in appearance. Nose was sour grapes and cherries. Very nice and fruity sweet.

Flavor was more of the aroma but with a sweeter tinge. Bit cloying and sticky. Nice and mild sour-patch kids flavor. Definitely a very drinkable sour beer. Not puckering sour, but rather very flavorful sour. Full body but sticky. Really nice drinking beer.

MuddyFeet, Jun 11, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Wow! This beer was definitely the beer of the night! So much thanks to BA, 'YBSober' for this beer was phenomenal!

This was my first Flanders Red Ale and I am going to make it a point to seek out much more of this! I thought I was in heaven. I know I am in love with the Duchesse (don't tell me wife;-).

Appearance: This Duchesse poured out a beautiful dark caramel color with some golden tan highlights on her elegant body, and then fantastic head made of tight off-white foam. This leads into the sticky circles of off-white lacing, left lining the glass.

Smell: The aroma is quite vinous, with a wine grapes aroma, a nice tartness, (those not in the know might think her a port wine) and yet an underlying caramel sweetness. It is spiced and complex; very much like the Holiday Spiced Wine from Mount Hope Winery (with what might be cinnamon and a splash of lemon in the aroma as well).

Taste: The taste, like the smell was very complex and pleasing! The front of the palate is mildly tart dry grapes and then there is a nice layer of brown sugar and caramel that sweetens up the palate. Layer upon layer I realized more and more tremendous depth as the fruits began to reveal themselves; first apples and plums, cherries, a prune and then mixed berries. All the while, I couldn’t help but to think, this beer must be oak aged because the magnificent flavor of oak, and a subtle hint of leather, kept swatting at my taste buds. This beer has an incredible depth of character and flavor. Her finish is sour (not too much) just the prefect degree (tipping the scales to tart). That tartness carries into the aftertaste as well, balanced with the loving touch of gentle sweet fruits, leaving you with wonderful memories of how she treated your tongue. I could hardly keep my tongue in my mouth. I had to dive in for more. She’s irresistible!

Mouthfeel: Tight little bubbles of carbonation treat your mouth just right. 36-24-36 this sweet lady has a perfect medium body with just enough dryness to force you to pucker up, and enough lingering sweetness that you enjoy it.

Drinkability: I want her all to myself all the time. $65 a case and I would pay it too. Are all Flanders like this? I may be in trouble. Now that I have gone Flanders I may never go back!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jun 09, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into little hotel glasses. The beer was more brown than red and had an off-white almost brown foam. The smell was sour and had a hint of vinegar aroma (better than it sounds).

This is one of the better tasting Flanders Reds I've had. The flavor was sweet with a sour after-taste. Absolutely perfect pairing of flavors.

Get this beer if you like sour ales. I'd recommend it even if you think you don't like the style.

TurdFurgison, Jun 07, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into my Rodenbach 8 oz. stemmed glass a beautiful ruby red with orange-copper edges. A creamed colored fluffy/dense head stands steady at 1". Visible racing carbonation.

A quick few swirls of the glass and a FRESH carmel covered tart apple scent erupts. A prolonged inhale detects cinnamon, concord grapes and pickled brussel sprouts. What a unique assortment of scents!

The liquid touches my lips and replicates basically everything I smelled. Tart & sweet for sure. Definitely more on the sweeter side of any Flemish red I ever tasted. Reminiscent of sweet iced tea with bitters. Faint molasses that brings hearty Dopplebocks to mind. Sweet candi sugar ending.

Mouthfeel is delectable. Fine and kinetic carbonation makes this a joy to drink. Not nearly the dry/tart finish I was expecting.

Drinkability is good. Tone-down the sweetness and it would be perfect.

Overall an utterly unique ale with many (in a good way) schizophrenic combinations of fresh and boisterous flavors. I'm still a little perplexed, but I do know I like it a lot. The sweetness is a little too much from what I was anticipating. But it's good to get your socks blown-off every once and a while! Fantastic beer.

malty, Jun 05, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

I really enjoyed this beer! It is very similar to Nostradamus, which is one of my favorites. As soon as you pop the cap off the bottle the sweer, malty, fruity aroma emanates from within. The beer pours a dark reddish brown, only slightly translucent when held to the light. There was a light tan head that held for a while and left lacing on the glass.

The flavor was very sweet and malty with a clear prune/plum flavor. Delicious. This is a heavy feeling beer, very filling, and better sipped. The beer is smooth and balanced as you drink.

BlueHammer, May 31, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

This is one of my all-time favorites, and I just had some again the other night. I apparently don't drink this nearly as often as I should.

The sour notes in the aroma are strong enough to set up the sweetness of the beer as the dominant flavor for the first few sips then the interplay of the flavors starts up. Complex sweet and sour fruit, old wet oak, earth, leather... It has everything a beer with no definable hop character should have. The sweetness stood out more this time, probably because I drank it fully chilled. I typically drink it at about 60 degrees fahrenheit (or warmer) which balances it more to my taste. Try it at different temperatures, learn all about it. I've been drinking it for years and I'm still learning.

xymyl, May 27, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a ruby red with a good white head that left traces all along my glass.
The smell was amazingly sour, fruity with a musty and vinegar like smell. Cherry, green apple and plum comes to mind after a deep inhale of this beer.
Taste was really sweet fruit like then turned to rotten fruit sourness and finishes with a tart mouth watering aftertaste. So many flavors all running around together makes this an amazing beer.
A very light mouthfeel which I think helps enhance the flavor by not taking away from the sourness. It really leaves a juicy feeling in your mouth.

HochFliegen, May 27, 2006
4.95/5  rDev +19%

Had on tap at Capital Ale House in Richmond, also in bottle at home with very similar results.

This beer is amazing and has become one of my all time favorite brews. The flavors are so complex and intense that I dont even want food to come near me for the chance to interrupt the experience.

Slight head with good carbonation. The color is similar to a subdued red wine. Be sure to serve this at the correct temp, I believe somewere around 50F. The inital sip is like a sour wine but becomes complex extremely quickly as it warms. The oak aging is very obvious. It adds so much to this brew.

This is extremely drinkable, very hard to not give into drinking this quickly. One sidepoint is that the one on tap seemed to be a bit more oaky and sour than the bottled version. Not sure on the dates of either.

nriech, May 25, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Elegance, as inherited through primogeniture and blue blood, has long passed. In its place is something we prefer to call class, which is related to archaic elegance but only remotely. Anybody can have class; the magnate in his vogue mansion or the cad in on the street. It isn’t easy to learn it, and its impossible to purchase it, but class can be trained. Elegance, as the wealthy were expected to have in years past, is altogether unattainable, even for some of the rich. The first and most obvious requirement is to be ejected from the womb of a bourgeoisie, and preferably to have been fathered by one. After that, it was merely a game of chance against in-breeding and developed tyranny that sculpted the, quite literally, nouveuax rich into adulthood. History is replete with cases of royal albinos, trisomy 21, incompetence or just plain idiocy. Also, there are the benevolently raised children of the upper classes that accrue an unnatural concept of class warfare, who then exercise their power with excessive enthusiasm. Let us take the few remaining cases of the beautiful, the wise and the kind regal individuals. The ones coursing with blue blood and compassion, and the ones imprinted in fairy tales and a few justly optimistic histories are those we speak of with an elegance no longer found today, save for a few obscure descendants living on vestigial fortunes. But I’ve found one, remarkably gentle but rich, formal but enjoyable, sweet but mature. The Duchess de Bourgogne, though fictional, is a blurry depiction of some royal lady whose personality doubtlessly charmed her family and subjects alike. She is the altruist from above, showering the ground with coins and flowers from her ivory tower. All I’ve done is told a story, one that I think is nicely summarized in the Duchess de Bourgogne beer. The crepuscular and mellowed tone of the beer nuzzles against the glass below the margaritaceous crown of foam, baring nothing to the unobservant eye. It’s a chaste and modest drink, hinting at its alluring flavor by breathing a slow but diligent waft of green apples, confectioner’s sugar, orange zest, shining red cherries and oak. Below this divine vapor sits the chaliced drink, reverently waiting for imbibing. There the eager drinker finds a similarly rich batch of flavors. Faint vinegar coarseness guides the column of tastes, featuring a light and sweet honey, red and white grapes, orange zest (amongst other citrus) and a very heavy and bombastic conclusion of oak. Poignant and garrulous as the Duchesse may be, it still fits “elegant” nicely. The blend of friendly and charismatic flavors allows anyone, be they friend or foe to beer, to pick up a glass and enjoy. If the rich and bold, sweet and sour flavors do not suffice the claim to elegance, then at least the extrovert, humble and generous nature of the Duchesse does. These are, after all, higher qualities that we aspire to. That is, if we want to be classy.

GarrettB, May 25, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Filtered chestnut brown with a thick and luscious tan head. Plenty of carbonation streams visible.

N: Rotten fruit (dates, plums, and blackberries mostly) and sour apples. Vinegar.

T: Sweet and sour weirdness. Tastes like very, very rotten fruit – mostly plums and apples. Rotten to the core. Nasty stuff. The initial sip causes one’s lips to pucker violently but that is followed by this strong sugary rotten fruit sweetness. This is strange brew.

MF: Sour, then sweet, then sour again. Medium body with a lengthy slightly sweet nasty finish.

D: Low. This brew doesn’t sit right. Too much vinegar. I don’t think more than one goblet would be healthy.

DaPeculierDane, May 22, 2006