Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

"Interesting" is the word that seems to fit this beer best. It's the first really sour beer I've had, so comparison is tough, but I'll do my best. Pours an interesting garnet brown color, little head, fairly clear. Aroma is interesting: dark fruit and vinegar. Not particularly sweet in the nose, which is promising. Taste upholds that conclusion - not overly sweet. Every sip is puckering, but not to the point where it's not enjoyable. Lots of character: tart, fruit and wood, but nothing is too dominant. Mouthfeel is good, not syrupy at all. Carbonation seemed right. Drinkability is the tough part. I enjoyed it, but I'm glad I was splitting a bottle because I probably wouldn't have wanted to drink the rest of it on my own. Maybe it'll grow on me.

hunteraw, Aug 22, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Lately I've been in the mood for some sour beers, so last night I picked up a bottle of Duchesse De Bourgogne, a Flanders Red Ale, and a bottle of Cantillon Lou Pepe Gueuze at Downtown Wine & Spirits. I let this warm to around 45º F and served it in one of my New Belgium glasses.

Appearance: Pours a clear ruby brown, with a thick, frothy, beige head that thins to a persistent layer and leaves massive lace on the glass.

Smell: Sweet with an acidic sour cherry aroma. A lightly funky aroma emerges upon swirling.

Taste: A sweet cherry fruitiness upfront is met by a strong acidic tartness that moves into a metallic twang in the finish and mingles with hints of earthiness.

Mouthfeel: Moderate, effervescent carbonation. Light-bodied and almost silky. The finish is moderately dry.

Drinkability: Tart, but the sweetness balances well.

Overall: An excellent Flanders Red. It's no La Folie, but it's very good nonetheless.

EPICAC, Aug 16, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

Poured from a 330ml bottle, best before 24-08-07. Appearance is very nice, a dark brown/red color with a 2 finger head that persisted. Lots of lacing left on the glass as I drank the beer. Off to a good start. Smells sweet and fruity, interesting, sour apple and cherry mostly. Taste amplifies what I smelled, whew. Starts off sweet but quickly turned sour. I like sour fruit beers but this tasted exactly like apple cider vinegar to me. The vinegar taste overpowers and is what's left in the aftertaste. Does not have much of a beer taste. Mouthfeel is ok, perhaps too full bodied, carbonation is fairly high. I didn't find this overly drinkable, would not have more than one. I would not buy again. This is my first experience with this style, so perhaps this is what it's supposed to be like, but I can't get past the apple cider vinegar taste.

stangelj, Aug 14, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours a coca-cola brown with thin tan head.

Nose is a little cola like as well, but together with sour passion fruits. Very complex, like that miscellanious "passion fruits" flavor in many products/fragrances. Cherry is one that might stick out, but very complex on the whole. Slight hint of pipe tobacco.

On the palate is a delightful explosion of vinegary sourness together with burnt sugar sweetnes mingled with passion fruit. A darker, molasses to toffee cake sweetness is found at the back of the palate and into the finish.

Finish is very cola-syrup extract like in sweetness. Nice and appetizing for the next sip. Reminds me of those coca-cola ink pens from childhood, the ones with the fragrance in the ink.

yemenmocha, Aug 06, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Brown bottle served in a snifter.

Freshness date is 27/05/05, so this beer is about a year beyond that. And from what I've noticed in the reviews, the Freshness date is set about two years after bottling...so this bottle was capped back in 03, most likely.

The bottle popped nicely, but upon the pour, the reddish brown beer is topped by a very small and fizzy head. There is no retention to be spoken of, leaving it looking flat in the glass. But the color is nice. I am worried that time has flattened my beer, though, as I move on to the sniff.

Which pleases me greatly. It smells a bit...old. Not in a bad way, though. When you combine it with the winey, fruity, vinegary and woody scents that rise from the glass it makes me feel like I'm walking through an old wine cellar, with all of those aromas permeating the air.

Now what really surprises me is that when I take a sip, my mouth is filled with a warm prickley carbonation...where was all of this when I poured it? Seems to have worked itself stubbornly in the beer, only to be released as it slips between the lips. Its the perfect sensation to go with the fruity, champagne-like flavors that dominated the front and middle of the mouth. This fruity and grapey character lasts until a few seconds after the swallow as a pleasant just-ripened raspberry tartness rises to provide some drying balance. This taste lingers for some time, with a slightly twiggy, woody flavor slowly unfolding to mingle.

This is a beer that just plain works...not sure what it would be like fresh, I will have to find another bottle, but I am glad I took the risk grabbing this one, because it was quite the experience.

UberWasser, Aug 06, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

750 ml bottle with best by 6/08 on the cork.

Pours with one and one half inches of deep tan, foamy head lasting throughout the drink. Presents a deep brown and burgundy body with deep ruby-red hues on the edges. Very attractive.

Sharp on the nose, strongly suggesting red wine vinegar. Notes of sour apples and tart berries. Notable earth and oak presence. Sweet caramel notes after the initial sharp notes back down. Complex to diagnose.

Initial bitterness suggesting sour apples and other tart fruit flavors. The tarntess is quickly squelched by a rush of sweet fruits suggesting figs and raisins. A cross-blend of merlot and white wine flavors at the midpoint provides some dry characteristics and the presence of sweet and sour grapes. A long, tangy finish reminiscient of the initial flavors with stong tannin and oak flavors.

Mouthfeel is smooth and clean with qualities similar to a white wine. Tart, sweet and balanced.

Drinkability is great for a Flanders with this type of strong flavors. Not quite as tart as I expected but a flow of sweetness will make this a little easier for the novice.

An excellent Flanders Red which is a complex and powerful brew for fans of the style. It is not likely that this would be a good choice for a Flanders virgin.

Budlum, Aug 06, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Like hammer09, I bought this beer because my wife liked the label (and I like Belgians). It was a 750ml bottle with an expiration date of 06/08 on the cork. The label describes it as a red-brown ale from the West Flanders region. It is a blend of ales aged 8 and 18 months in oak casks. It was truly reddish-brown in color, with a medium off-white head. Nothing outstanding about the aroma, mostly sweet. The taste, though, was exciting. Sweet, dark fruit, with a little chocolate. As it warmed up, it became spicy. I loved it. Good mouthfeel, very drinkable. A little on the sweet side, so maybe no more than the 750 in one sitting.

Had a chance to try this on tap recently at Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME. Even better, more complex.

lordofthewiens, Aug 02, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

My fiancee convinced me to try this beer since I typically like Belgian-style ales. It wasn't until later that I found out she picked it because she liked the label on the bottle.

My first impression ended with disappointment; this is not your typical beer. However, my initial disappointment stemmed from the fact that I didn't approach it with the right mindset. I tried another bottle last night and I have to say that it made a much better second impression.

A - Duchesse De Bourgogne pours a dark amber/brown with a thick, foamy head. This beer exhibits some nice lacing, clinging to the inside of the glass in distinct rings as the beer is consumed.

S - Here's the surprising aspect of this beer; it doesn't smell like a beer. It has a champagne-like aroma, both sour and sweet with notes of apples and grapes.

T - As with the aroma, this beer tastes very similar to a champagne. It's both sour and sweet on the palate with a fruity, cider-like finish. I did noticed a slight solvent taste/odor, reminiscent of acetone, toward the end of this beer.

M - The fizzy carbonation is numbing, but the experience is very refreshing. This is a good beer for a hot day.

D - Overall, this is a very complex and interesting brew. I would probably drink no more than two of these in a sitting, and likely switch to something lighter in character after the second. An excellent beer that I would definitely purchase again.

hammer09, Aug 01, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I found this on-tap at McMenamin’s in Philly.

This beer pours a murky root beer and gold color, but when held to the light, it reveals a glowing cherry. The head is a thin film of slightly tan.

Smells of musky sour cherries and a dry, crisp red wine.

The flavor is similar with a similar musky sour cherry with a light creamy wheat in the background. There’s also a little orange and lime here too.

The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with a very active carbonation.

I’m just a sucker for this style, so I loved it. A little heavy feeling, but delicious!

DarkerTheBetter, Jul 25, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Color is maroon with a ruby glow. Head is tall and light brown. Aroma starts with an initial blast of sour funkiness, which gives way to a sweet dark fruit smell. Interesting, but relatively weak. A sip starts with plenty of tartness. Soon, sweet dark fruit flavors take over until a sugary sweet finish. A slight edge of what I believe to be oak flavor is noted as well. A constant theme here is that of sweet and tart flavors volleying for my palate's attention. The overall flavor here is excellent, very complex and layered, making this beer almost too easy to drink. Highly recommended.

Gagnonsux, Jul 23, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours with a small tan head, lightly carbonated. Color is very dark brownish red, almost opaque. Smells sweet tart and sour, like cherries and dark chocolate. Medium body, good mouthfeel. Taste is very fruity-tart, sweet and juicy. Cherry fruity flavors throughout. For all the sweetness, finish is relatively dry.

As others have noted, as good as this beer is one is plenty and personally I would like a little less sugary sweetness.

htomsirveaux, Jul 22, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

poured from 330ml bottle to a snifter.

A: Deep, turbulent brown with some ruby hi-lights. A frothy I finger off white head that fades slowly to a swirled film.

S: Terrific smell - is it sweet? Is it sour? Hints of vinegar are comingled with malty/candy sweetness.

T: Just as mixed as the smell, different flavors are busy all at once. Sour/tart apples at the start, caramel & soda pop sweetness in the finish. Dry finish of malt. I really like that the tart bite mellows to a brown sugar-y sweetness

M: I found the beer to be heavily carbonated, even spritzy, like soda. Good mouthfeel, medium body.

D: As much as I lked the smell/flavor sensations this beer offers, it's easy to stop at one. In fact, I could have stopped at half of one, though not because I didn't like it. A lovely, magical beer but enjoyable in small quantities, for me at least. I could see this beer as suitable for a digestif or apertif.

msubulldog25, Jul 21, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Beautiful looking beer; deep mahogany, caramel highlights, thick taupe head. Aroma hints at much sourness underneath, along with green apples and some unrefined sugar. On the palate, surprisingly sweet, especially at first, with soft carbonation that holds the sourness at bay for a bit. In the mid-palate, the sourness comes out, but it's still attenuated by a significant malt presence. Bubblegum, jolly ranchers, and a hint of nickel in the finish. Considering the substantial sweetness here, the finish is unexpectedly dry. Overall, a good Flemish red, but not the best I've had -- I'm looking for something with a bit more dry sourness.

geexploitation, Jul 21, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

I was glad the other reviewers cleared up what I was thinking about this ale: Was it ale or hard cider? I bought this on a whim at Whole Foods in Jericho NY while trying to follow up on the great beers of Beligum in the tradition of Westmalle, etc.

The creamy head with bubbles overflowed with an apple/champagne taste that was so strange in a delightful way I continued to explore the whole 750ml. I put it down for while and came back to see if it would change.

As no change came with time, I thought this would be great with pork or with a spiced ham.

bonbright7, Jul 21, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

I was introduced to this beer the other night and I was really confused at first smell as to why this beer was held in such high regard...then I tasted it and my world was flipped upside down. I got to drink this out of a Duchesse de Bourgogne glass that my friend gave me.

This beer poured a silky reddish brown color with a nice looking head that clung to the glass nicely.

The aroma threw me at first. I thought it was a bad bottle because I immediately picked up on a buttery vinegar-like aroma. This aroma and whatever I had left sitting on my palate from my last beer didn't jive well at all. As soon as I got acclimated to the flavor of this beer the aroma became enticing and very complex.

The flavor was something else. It has a buttery presence in the mouth with some mild tartness. The flavor that I would have called vinegar before was acclimated to this beer became something else. I believe maybe a oak influenced sourness that is mild and adds to the complexity of this beer. It finishes somewhat dry and leaves you mouth with still developing flavors. I need to clean out some cupboard space for beers like this one now.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with medium to low carbonation. It coats the mouth nicely but is not cloying.

The drinkability of this one is good for say me, but I would say it is a lot lower for inexperienced palates.

This is definately a beer to pick up and try. Drink it with a few friends or they will never believe you.

Brian700, Jul 18, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance: Very deep, dark, cola red-brown. Decent-sized head with mediocre retention.

Smell: Oaky barrels of red wine, bursting with blackberry-esque tartness and undercurrents of of tobacco, burnt sugar, and slight lactic acid. Unique and extremely sumptuous, an aroma that really enlivens the senses and gets the old salivary glands a-pumpin'.

Taste: Beautifully tart through-and-through but not at all puckering, a sourness of juicy green apples and green strawberries. Well-balanced and refreshing with a tart and bittersweet finish; very vinous, complex, and delicious.

Mouthfeel: Zippy and sharp to match the sourness, but smooth and silky at the same time.

Drinkability: This is just so damn good, I could drink it all night.

soulgrowl, Jul 17, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Cork exploded off the 750ml bottle without much effort. Poured a dark brownish red color with a nice creamy head. Smell is sour with vinegar and I can pick up a bit of the oak as well . Taste starts out quite smooth, then the tartness hits you and continues to build making way for a surpisingly clean and dry finish. Wow! Great Flanders Red Ale, however I do believe Rodenbach Grand Cru is far superior. A stellar brew nonetheless.

cjgator3, Jul 14, 2006

Black brownish in initial color. Found dark red tints when I held it to the light. It had a nice dark tan head.
Smelled of vinegar and fruit. It definitely had a sour tinge to it not unlike a red wine.
It tastes very sour and vinegary and I sensed some metalic notes. There is virtually no hop taste present. This beer tastes like a sweet red wine. There are sweet and sour notes, tart to the aftertaste. Very interesting and good if you are into sour beers.
I found this beer to go down very smoothly. The carbonation eases the beer along nicely and the aftertaste is pleasurable.
This is a very drinkable beer for sour enthusiasts.

poluti, Jul 12, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

Pours a murky dark amber color with a thin tan head.

Aroma is seriously funky, very dark and heavy with a port character to it.

Taste is very sweet and tart. Sour cherry fruityness is abundant, with little actual taste of beer. Strong carbonation. There is a wierd earthyness flavor also probably a blend of the oak and some wild fermentation.

Frankly I don't get this beer, maybe just the style since I am not familiar with it, reminds me of a lambic with the high sweetness factor.

I don't think I will be trying this again soon.

kgotcher, Jul 12, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A red brown beer with a very small head to begin with and little carbonation.

Smell of oak, with distinct acidic notes and caramel which remind me of sweet-sour cherries.

Taste is fruity and complex with sour cherries, oak and a little citrus. The beer is fresh and has very little bitterness. Mouthfeel is sticky and syrupy, that make it taste like cherrie flavored lemonade or hard candy. The sourness is overruled by the sweetnes and I feel that this beer is somewhat artificial. Body is full which inhibits drinkability.

Absumaster, Jul 11, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Well, this is a completely new experience for me. I kind of know what to expect from the descriptions I've read for Flanders Reds, but I've never had one, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm in for. Ok, here it goes...

A- Deep ruby red with a rather large head and a great deal of cascading bubbles. Beautiful beer!

S- Definitely an interesting aroma. Vinegary sour for sure, but not offputting at all. In fact, it's quite pleasant. Fruity aromas of sour grapes and cherries give it a bit of a wine-like nose. Maltiness is present with a sweet bready aroma that reminds me of my grandmother's homemade bread. Definitely unlike any beer I've had before, but it's appealing.

T- The taste is quite mild actually, not overpowering. Begins rather tart, but the sourness is soon overcome by sweetness. Flavors are complex and hard to pinpoint. Cherries are definitely present, along with a sort of orange cream flavor. Some of the sweet, bready malt is also detectable towards the end. Had that not been there, I might have been skeptical that I was drinking beer at all! The vinegar flavor lingers throughout, but I suppose that is a trademark of the style. I almost thought I caught a hint of bitterness in the finish, but it was gone before I could even attempt to grasp it. Finishes both sweet and tart with a bit of a metallic twinge. Quite the complex and interesting beer.

M- Full, smooth and creamy, very nice.

D- Excellent drinkability! Surprisingly easy to drink given the mouthfeel and all the complexities. I'd almost be bold enough to say that this is a quaffing beer, but it's really not. It could be quaffed if necessary, though.

Quite the interesting beer, and one that I had to try. I'm not sure I should be reviewing it given my inexperience with the style, but I decided, what the hell. It's actually quite good. It may take some getting used to, but this is potentially a style that I could get into. It's very different from classic American beers, though. Recommended, with reservations for newbies.

vtfan77, Jul 10, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

33 cl bottle. Best before 09-08-06. By the way, I know that often Europeans write their dates as Date-Month-Year, whereas we're more used to Month-Date-Year. Based on some of the dates I've seen, it seems the Belgians are of the Date-Month persuasion. Is this a nation- or continent-wide standard?

Ruby-brown in color with good clarity. the initially generous off-white head subsides a little but leaves plenty of lacing and doesn't go away altogether.

The nose is sweet and tart, *almost* a hint of vinegar. Wait... yeah, that's a hint of vinegar. But you know, that's not a bad thing. Fruity and sour.

Ditto the flavor (minus the vinegar), plus candy notes and that good tartness that takes up residence on the rear sides of the tongue and back of the cheeks. It's not nearly as mouth-puckering as some examples, but yeah baby, it's sour nonetheless. The flavor transitions from tart to sweet to a rather dry finish. Some cherry, and a mildly chalky element (think flavored chewable medicine tablets).

This one is smooth and pretty easy-drinking, even for a sour beer. For those just getting into the style, this may be a better jumping-off point than, say, Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Man I'm starting to like sour beers more and more...

VoodooBrew, Jul 04, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a dark brown with a ruby tint, with a bit of visible carbonation running into the head. The head is about three fingers of beige foam, and has fantastic staying power. Sticky lacing holds on in clumps along the glass.

Red wine jumps out of this brew as the dominant aroma. Vinegar, tart cherries and a mustiness all round out the smell. Overall it is very different from what I am used to smelling in a beer, however I like the effect.

The taste is delicious. A great mix of sweet and tart. Sweet cherries and candy sugar up front followed up by a puckering grape tartness to the finish. An acidity to the finish makes it that little bit more interesting.

The mouthfeel is another strength to this one. Certainly there is a thickness to it, and between the ready carbonation and the acidic finish this beer stays lively and interesting all the way down.

The overall effect of this beer mellows as the bottle comes to an end, and one is enough for me during an evening. That one is a great one though, and this is a beer I foresee keeping around. My wife really likes this one too.

elricorico, Jun 24, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

11.2 oz bottle poured chilled into a tulip glass

Pours a dark mahogony color with ruby tint. Head is thin, but a bit "lofty" (it is like a cloud in the sky) Off-white to tan color head. Decent light getting through. Decent.

Aroma is mainly of fruits (strawberries and cherries) with a strong oak wood dry aroma. Some vanilla also hits my nose as does a bit of alcohol. Maybe a bit of vinegar.

Definitely suits the style. A cherry-to-rasberry flavor up front along with a bit of oak barrel flavor. Alcohol is also on the menu as is a bit of a slight metallic taste that doesn't go well with me. Reminds me of champagne. I expected something a bit different I guess.

Thin body with a champagne quality feel. Bubbly on my tongue with a bit of alcohol biting me quick! Decent aftertaste though of souring cherries.

Overall drinkability? Not bad. I've had better in the style, but solid. The metallic flavor has me thrown a bit...maybe a "bad" batch. I'd have another just to see.

Fish113d, Jun 22, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

330ml bottle bought from De Bier Tempel, Brussels, March 2005...

Poured a deep burgundy colour with brown tinges... Creamy tan head pours quite small and fades quickly to thin layer... medium carbonation. Patchy, sticky, lacing...

Aroma - Strong sweet and sour notes, vinegary, soy sauce, leathery, can just make out some toffee malts, rum notes, no hops that i can make out, oaky, light pepperiness...

Taste – Quite sweet initially then the (balsamic) vinegariness comes through, rum, definite soy sauce hints, nutty, nice oakiness, some spicy fruitiness, (red grapes, blackcurrents), can just make out some sweet malts, again no real hop notes...

Feel - Quite smooth but with a little sharp bite underneath. Medium / full body... Probably couldn't drink more than one per sitting...

Overall - An excellent beer... Highly recommended... Probably not for everyone and i can see why it gets such a love / hate reaction - personally i think it's top notch...

mdagnew, Jun 19, 2006