Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
4.46/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.46/5  rDev +7.2%

750ml bottle, 6/10 exp date. Poured into tulip at 40 degrees.

Pours with a 1/2 glass full of thick, tan head which fades to heavy film and leaves a ton of lacing. Body is deep ruby, and nearly opaque.

Smell hits you with balsamic vinegar, oak barrel, vinous but not overpowering, and slightly earthy funk.

Flavor is, wow. Not nearly as tart as I expected from the aroma, quite sweet actually. Plum, cherry, and some limey bite, plenty of sweet and sour balance - mostly sweet. Reminiscent of grape juice, with zero hint of alcohol.

Scary smooth mouthfeel - could've used a touch more carbonation to tighten it up.

Top score on drinkability - pretty sure I could've chugged this. Bottle is going down way too quickly.

4.46/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had on draft at Lures 8oz pour in a wide mouth short glass 2/21/14

A-Appearance: dark ruby color, nice beige head.

S-Red wine, barrel, barn, sour notes.

T-Destintive and remember able taste of red wine, sour, sweetness coming form malty backbone, slightly astringent, quite dry.

M-mouthfeel is full body and high carbonation, nice wine aftertaste.

O-Overall great first sour ale and Flanders must try more

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: A wonderful dark red color, with an agressive brown head on it. Careful pouring this one, this head doesn't go away as quickly as you might think.

Smell: There's malt, and wine, and citrus, and the alcohol's definately there too. Don't think I've ever had anything that smelled quite like this before.

Taste: Sweet up front, and sour in the back. Very heavy apple flavor all around, with wine-like undertones. Don't think I've ever tasted a beer quite like this before.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and thick. Very good considering the unique tang the beer has.

What a unique little brew! Much too sweet for everyday use, but with completely unmatched complexities to the taste. I'd sell my soul for an exact ingredients list. I've never tasted anything like it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Into a snifter. Ruby colored with a two solid fingers of head.
Smells like cider vinegar, cherry and pear.
Fruity taste: cherry and pear again. A little malty sweet at the end with some lemon.
Champagne texture, lots of bubbles but not overly carbonated. Light body.
The vinegar smell actually fit well and thankfully didn't transfer into the taste. Top shelf here. An excellent all-around drink.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Comparative tasting with a 2001 Liefmans Goudenband 10/17/03.

Reddish brown color with a khaki head that becomes frothy after agitation. Some nice trails of lace remain on the glass. Nose is oaky and buttery with some subdued fruity esters. The nose, to me, screams California Chardonnay with that big buttery, oaky profile (and this is just on aroma). Taste-wise, this doesn't deviate too far from that California Chardonnay once again. Buttery, oaky, and vanilla notes give way to a tart green apple finish with notes of vinegar and funkiness. A wonderful interplay of sweet and sour. One of the most vinous beers I've consumed. The mouthfeel is pleasantly carbonated, yet quite smooth. This is an extraordinarily crafted Oud Bruin. Not quite as quenching as the Goudenband, but it seemed to be more flavorful with a fuller finish. Wonderful stuff.

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Pours a reddish brown with a large tan head that had good retention. Moderate amount of sticky lacing is left on the glass. The aroma consists of a mild funkiness complimented by red wine and vinegar. The taste is just mildly tart. Some fruity sweetness also comes through. Some mild barnyard notes in the dry finish. Perfect mouthfeel. Soft texture that coats the mouth. Light body with mild carbonation. If someone is looking for an extra tart and funky beer, this is not the beer for you.

Thanks to Mac56 for this beer, via Newbie "Onebox" BIF '05

Poured into my Rodenbach tulip.
250 ml. bottle

Very large quickly dissapating head. Went from 3.5 fingers to covering the top of the beer in about 25 seconds.
Dark reddish copper color with a steady stream of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. Decent lace clings to the edges.
Smell: Sour and musty. Not as viniagry or "over the top" as say Rodenback Grand Cru. This is definately more my style. Nice tart fresh cherry and off-the-tree apple sweetness, with definate hops towards the back. Oak comes through later on.
Taste: This is gorgeous. Tart, but not overly. Malty sweetness on the tongue. Almost on the verge of an apple-wine. Very fruity. Slight bitterness, like the bitterness from a fresh apple peel that you just picked off of the tree. I keep going back to the apple references. If apples actually tasted this good, Jesus, I'd eat an apple with every single meal of my life. May have wanted it a bit more tart, ended up being a bit too sweet towards the end.
Mouthfeel/Drinkability: I could have drank this beer in about 3 sips. Medium mouthfeel. Nice and creamy. I would have liked it a bit more tart and brisk. Finishes dry, drier than I would have thought possible while drinking this beer.
Full of surprises, flavors and aromas. Nice beer.

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Very excited to see this on tap at House of 1000 Beers in New Kensington, PA.

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Dark reddish-brown, kind of burgundy, with deep plum highlights & a finger of khaki, loose head. Great color, big crown of lacing.

Smells of balsamic vinegar, tart, dark cherries, vanilla, green apple, a little leather, a little sawdust. Very complex & nicely integrated.

Taste follows aroma very closely, with some amplified acidity & more pronounced cherry & apple, wrapped up well. Wish I could say more, but it's pretty much already been said.

Full-bodied, smooth, a little viscous but with that moderate acidic bite. Very engaging.

This is one great beer. Flavorful, complex, but doesn't overwhelm or knock you out. That said, two is probably my limit. Maybe I had expectation bias, but I went in prepared to love this & I loved it, so there you go.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Flanders red indeed, a beautiful crimson brown color with nice whitish head and some spiderweb lacing that otherwise fizzles out until warmed. The aroma smells of sour and tart fruits, red skinned ones, cherry, red apple, plum, and vinegar for some reason.

The taste similarly puts on a display of sweet, tart, sour fruits, follows the grape to an almost vinous quality, earthy and complex and... vinegar again? (Now, I'm not the biggest vinegar fan, far from it, but it seems ok here for some odd reason, but still, pushing my buttons.) Sweetens a bit with a juicy body through the middle only to tart up and dry out a bit at end.

The body is mostly medium, a spritzy effervescent carbonation. The great thing about this beer is it ages well, and because I have to really be in the mood for this style (though when I do, I really crave it), that makes it all the better. In all, a delightful brew, one I've had on a few occasions now, both in bottle and on tap. Always a treat.

(Also, I should note, after reviewing this beer, I broke out some Saint Andre cheese with raspberry preserves and Brenton crackers, they all played together nicely.)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured with a fairly large, off-white head that was long-lasting and eventually settled to 1/2-finger. Body is dark ruby red and quite clear.

S: Fantastic aroma of medium sourness, with some cherry fruitiness thrown in as well. Slight horse-blanket smell in there, too.

T: Nice balance of fruitiness and sourness... doesn't become overpowering at all. Awesome.

M: Medium body, medium-light carbonation. Both sweet and tart in the finish.

D: My first Flanders Red. I loved it.

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Pours a clean orange-ish brown color with a light tan head. In the aroma, sour cherry and oaky hints. In the taste, sweet to sour dark cherry and a small oaky hint. A smooth and sour medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry oaky and cherry aftertaste. Nice oaky hints, with a nice cherry sourness.

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Just getting into various sour styles recently. Love the diversity of beer!

To benchmark flanders reds / browns, I've had Monks Cafe, Rodenbach and Rodenbach Grand Cru. This blew all of those away.

Poured a deep ruby with not much head. Light aroma of grape must, balsamic vinegar, some tropical fruits.

Flavor was cherries and balsamic vinegar with some definite complexity i couldnt put my finger on. much deeper (oak very apparent) flavor than the Monks, and IMO richer and more balanced than either variety of Rodenbach (both of which I enjoyed). Mouthfeel balanced the sweetness.

Insanely drinkable. Shared the 750 with two friends and bummed I didn't have another (or two!) to drink myself.

Will be seeking this out again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap into a wide mouthed red wine style glass.

This beer is a beautiful ruby color and smells like sherry. I would bet that people who did not know any better would mistake this for sherry.

The taste is malty, but the sherry / sour cherry taste takes the lead. A very interesting beer, and one you may need to be in the mood for.

Mouthfeel is good, a little to be desired.

I could drink more of these, and probably will though they will likely be one at a time.

An excellent beer. Recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautifully clear red/brown with a bubbly off white head that starts off strong but leaves us much too soon but sticks much lace on my glass. Smells of horsehair, must, oak, some berries, tart acidic. Taste is filled with all the wonderful things I smelled. I pick up the funk sweet and sour dried fruits, some vanilla, even a faint bourbon in there as well. Mouthfeel is syrupy, sticky, smooth. Body is medium, carbonation is low but ample. I wish I had tried this sooner as it is a fantastic sour and seems to be readily available in my area.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap and thought it was brilliant!! After having this beer I became aware of how biased I was toward American craft beers. This beer pours a beautiful deep chestnut with limited head. The nose has sun dried fruit with a flavor that has a nice maltyness with raisin. mmmm!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have had this brew only bottled (VERY envious of those who can get it on tap!) but am writing this review after the 750 ml bottle.
First, the appearance. Absolutely gorgeous! Dark brown with beautiful mahogany red edges, nice creamy white head that lasted a remarkably long time. The aroma struck me as wine-like with a hint of oak and vanilla (not surprisingly as oak has the second highest concentration of the chemical vanillin from which vanilla beans get their flavor and aroma) and perhaps a touch of raisin as well.

The taste is very hard to describe other than to say that it is very complex with a bit of fruitiness, malty sweetness and an acidic note like cherries or even blackberry. It seemed to begin with a softly tart maltiness that then subsides and very much flows into the fruity notes ending with just a hint of raisin. Amazingly good stuff!

I found it to be eminently drinkable which I set out to prove by finishing 2 of the 750 ml bottles over a 4 hours period. Was saddened once it was gone. I will be stocking up on this for the upcoming holidays!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Before even pouring it I could smell that slightly vinegary kombucha smell ( which I'm slowly growing to like). Pours dark coffee with deep red highlights. The head is small but pleasantly leaving lacing. With further inspection smells of Belgian yeast minor hops and mild sweet vinegar. Taste is complex, sweet, slightly fruity esters mixed with a tinge of bitterness. Sour cherries and the bottom of apple cider, nice bit of acidity, might be good for food. This is a really different ale than I'm used to the only other I've had at all similar was a gueze lambic, but I know this is a very different beer. I enjoyed this I might even buy others like this, but its something I will slowly learn to enjoy.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Aggressive pour into a Hennepin tulip. Garnet chestnut color with a thick and creamy khaki-colored head and impressive retention. Settles to a patched lace. Aromas of apple cider and sour cherries.

Opens with sour cherry tartness and the tang of apple cider. Pleasant prickly effervescence. Suggestions of lime citrus co-mingle with tart fruit flavors. A hint of balsamic vinegar surfaces. Finishes dry with a subtle oak tone.

Great balance between sweet and sour. Exceptional drinkability. Outstanding. I'm extremely bummed I don't have another bottle of the Duchesse to sip and savor.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from big bottle into goblet

A: Dark caramel brown, lacy head
S: One of the all-time great beer aromas, with intense wood, banana and sour esters
T: Dark fruits, lots of plum and raisin. Obvious sour but a surprising serving of sweet berry fruits accompanies the sour. Pretty amazing.
M: I'm not a fan of huge carbonation and this has a lot of it. That's part of what gives it a "cider" vibe, I guess. It's not objectionable at all, however, and the smell/taste really defines this beer.
O: I've had a number of Flemish sours prior to this bottle and I have to say the DDB really has the formula. Definitely the best of the style that I've had, and a stunning helping of flavor in this beer makes it memorable. I'd love to have this with some intense French cheeses.

Note: Buy this in the big bottle, for the corkage experience. I don't know if this contributes to the experience, but the bottle art is far better than the small bottles.

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Actually, it's Verhaeghe VICHTE - sorry folks...Pours a beautiful dark cherry red with a half-finger's worth of creamy off white head...decent carbonation...Aroma is wonderful...Some funk, some spice, lots of black cherry and raspberry notes. Very nice so far, one of the best I've seen to this point. Wow!! Very sweet, to some it might be cloying. Brilliant flavors - mostly fruit like cherry and raspberry - very fruit forward to the point it's almost wine-like. This is lucious...The carbonation really rounds out the sweetness. It's really like a black cherry soda with less sugar and with added alcohol. Some may hate this, as it's less a beer and more a Lambic fruit ale, emphasis on the fruit. I love it and think it's awesome anytime of year...must find folks...

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Very nice looking beer. Deep amber with a slightly red hue. Head is unabashedly tan, full, and leaves thick lacing.

Smells of oak, vinegar, grape, a bit of grain and alcohol.

Flavors are tart, sweet , full, oak, cherry, cider-vinegar, slightly metallic. The taste is freekin' awesome. The oaking has given it a complexity all its own, and beyond that there is a complexity and flavor that is amazing.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth, high carbonation and lingering tart and slightly sweet finish.

It is just a bit odd to be super-drinkable, but it is quaffable.

I am pleased with this beer. It is a style I have tried once before but that one really lacked the complexity of this one. This one is a treat.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Lets start off by saying damn I love this beer...

Sweet malt in the nose with a touch of sour bacterial edge

Lots of sweetness in the mouth that fades to a light sourness that lingers just a little on the pallet, very smooth, creamy, not harsh, leaves the mouth wanting more...

A wee bit expensive but worth every penny. also a great transition beer for anyone who thinks they arent into flanders red's, very easy to get into.

11.2 fl oz bottle with best before date 11/30/2013
A: This one gushed when poured. Luckily didn't lose any. The pillowy foam subsided in a couple minutes and about a fingers worth of foam remained. Color was more dark red with brown
S: Smells real nice, cherries with slight woodiness
T: Tartness & sourness explodes during first sip. Took me back a little at first made my mouth and cheeks pucker. The sour/tart feelings do linger for a long time after finishing. Feel good that I had this beer at the end of the night.
M: Couldn't hold this one in my mouth for too long. Is well carbonated and feels medium
O: This beer takes me back to my youth when I would eat a roll of Shocktarts or a bag of Sour Patch Kids. The only down-side which might be a plus budget-wise is I can't have more than 1 of these in a sitting. Will buy a 4-pack of this next time instead of a single bottle. Also, really like to see a long best-by date printed on the bottle.

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Pours out bright copper-brown and sits deep, ruby brown in the glass with a good sized, battered tan head, fading to a faint skim, pushed to the sides with some good lacings.

Smells of sweetened caramel and dark brown sugar, tart and sour in the back. Tart cherries and golden raisins mingle with figs and browned apples. Wooden hues along the sides, faint leafy hops.

Medium sweetness and well-matched tang and light acidity up-front, boasting pre-ripe tart cherries, pears, apricots and raisins. Fantastically mouthwatering, juices drip all over. Brown sugar coats the crowd and melds to bits of charred oak. Finish is equivalent to the introduction, but fades out with a very mild, almost non-existent bitterness hinting on grape seeds.

Crisp in the mouth with tact carbonation. In time with some gentle swirling, this mellows out into the delightfully smooth, silky body that lies underneath. This is built for an overnight stay in the mouth.

I cannot find a flaw large enough to constitute a complaint as this beer is highly drinkable and warrants many more encounters. A very finely crafted ale.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe