Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
angrybabboon

New Hampshire

Consumed 9/12/13

Appearance: Dark red with equal parts deep amber and brown - mostly hazy, but some clarity around the edges - pours with a large, decidedly Belgian, beige head - dense and creamy - fades to a smaller but still solid cap, leaves some nice streaks of lacing

Smell: Holy Balsamic vinegar, Batman - high quality Balsamic vinegar, with some interesting lactic sourness - damp, wet, funk - some very nice woody oak notes - very fruity and sweet, with some serious cherry juice and tart cherry - some nice, pale and caramel malts at its base - some earthiness, and something that reminds me of chocolate

Taste: Sweet and fruity, with some nice tart, sour, and funky notes - sweet cherry flesh and some tart cherries, with some other berry fruit flavors - definitely sweet, almost candy-like, but it works thanks to the other flavors - some serious Balsamic vinegar - woody, damp and wet funkiness, with some tart, and some lactic sour - some light, pale malts and straight-up caramel - lightly earthy - light bitterness

Mouthfeel: Medium body, nicely carbonated, smooth, nice to sip

Overall: This is where Archer's code name really comes from

I've been meaning to try this for years. This was a small bottle, probably split up from a Duchesse gift pack (insert sound effect here). But now I suppose I need to get some of these to age, as this greatly exceeded my expectations. I have had a handful of harder to get, more expensive Flanders Reds. And this is really among the best I have ever had. Seriously.

09-12-2013 05:22:35 | More by angrybabboon
BeerDocT

Georgia

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%

I've never had a Flanders Red Ale before and do not know what to expect. Really looking forward to this.

Appearance 4.0: Poured out a deep, translucent brown with -you guessed it-- red highlights. Nice 1" head that finally dropped to about 1/8". Excellent lacing.

Smell 4.75: Wow! Amazing bouquet on this beer. Sharp vinegary pungency is tempered by a bleu cheese smell that is -upon further reflection-- really a smell of some type of brewing agent (i.e. a wild a vociferous yeast strain like Lambic). There are also a many, many layers of smells in this beer: cherries, honeycomb, mustiness, oak tannins, cabernet wine...on and on and on. Amazing and I cannot imagine a beer having a more complex and nuanced nose.

Taste 4.25: Front overwhelms the palate with a huge hit of vinger-level sour and slight hints of sweetness with a lovely ripe plum taste. Middle is sweet with big waves of vinegar, interesting tastes of almond and a general smoothness. Finish is also smooth, with hints of sweetness and a very refreshing hit of sourness. This is the level where other tastes come out: tanins, plums, raisins, oak rosin, barley malt...excellent. Aftertaste is short and refreshing.

Mouthfeel 4.0: This beer's conditioning does an excellent job of accentuating the taste of the beer.

Overall 4.25: This beer is amazing. Complex, balanced and utterly enjoyable. If you have never had a Flanders Red, I would recommend you try this one. It reminded me of a Lambic, but perhaps how a Lambic would taste without the delicious fruit additives. What you get is an equally excellent beer, maybe even better in some respects, notably the bouquet. Sour and just all around excellent.

01-19-2014 06:43:57 | More by BeerDocT
BMMillsy

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours dark red with medium head that disappears quickly with no lacing left on the glass. Smells like tart cherries, beautiful. Bit of vinegar, heavy sour here. Taste is tart cherries., uckering on the palate. Bit of a dry woody oak finish. Crisp mouthfeel with good carbonation. Really enjoyable though a bit pricy.

10-17-2013 23:40:19 | More by BMMillsy
hopsbreath

Oregon

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

The Duchess! One of the most complex and refreshing low ABV beers I have ever experienced. I've enjoyed this and Rodenbach Grand Cru on multiple occasions and have decided that as far as the Flanders heavyweights go, this is my favorite. On to the review.

The appearance is crystal clear ruby-garnet body with a two finger tan head that is made of very tight champagne like bubbles that quickly dissipate to the wisp collar that is typical of a beverage with champagne like carbonation. Minimal lacing shows up. 4/5

Aroma is heavy on red-wine vinegar with a touch of red stone fruits. Medicinal qualities and that "band aid" thing show up but works well with the aceitic character. 4/5

Puckering, sour, vinegar poured from oak barrel dance across the tongue as the taste builds. Each sip builds on the previous. Some sweet cherry shows up at the mid-way point and delights the senses. There's more to this beer that I just can't explain. The experience is one to be savored. The Duchess clearly dominates Rodenbach at this juncture. 4/5

Mouthfeel is pure champagne. Soft soothing carbonation slides across the palate with a delicate nature that no other beer can equal. The perfect score is the result. 5/5

Drinkability is through the roof! The mouth puckering quality of this is spectacular and makes me want that next sip that much faster! Every time I have this beer I try to enjoy it slowly but it screams to be drunk fast. Another perfect score! 5/5

My wife has told me that if we ever renew our vows, The Duchess is going to make an appearance at the toast. It really is that good and classy. Try this now! Beer will never seem the same to you again!

07-02-2010 03:19:06 | More by hopsbreath
elricorico

Alberta (Canada)

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a dark brown with a ruby tint, with a bit of visible carbonation running into the head. The head is about three fingers of beige foam, and has fantastic staying power. Sticky lacing holds on in clumps along the glass.

Red wine jumps out of this brew as the dominant aroma. Vinegar, tart cherries and a mustiness all round out the smell. Overall it is very different from what I am used to smelling in a beer, however I like the effect.

The taste is delicious. A great mix of sweet and tart. Sweet cherries and candy sugar up front followed up by a puckering grape tartness to the finish. An acidity to the finish makes it that little bit more interesting.

The mouthfeel is another strength to this one. Certainly there is a thickness to it, and between the ready carbonation and the acidic finish this beer stays lively and interesting all the way down.

The overall effect of this beer mellows as the bottle comes to an end, and one is enough for me during an evening. That one is a great one though, and this is a beer I foresee keeping around. My wife really likes this one too.

06-24-2006 04:20:33 | More by elricorico
Proteus93

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Red with an amber hue through the flute. A rich, deep, head that leaves liberal sticky lacing behind.

S: Something of a plum-like scent? Almost like the fruit in a wooden crate, maybe a little closer to a mass of cherries in a shipping crate. Can't really make out the specific fruity aroma, but it is certainly Almost a touch of a solvent like aroma in there - it's not cedar, but that's what is coming to mind at the moment.

T/M/D: Crisp, tart fruits. Peeled cherries, lightly spiced, but sour through the end. Maybe a little more on the sweet than sour side, and something of a champagne like taste and mouthfeel in there. The puckering sensation leans more towards being lip-smacking than a cheek-sucked in sourness. An intriguing ale, and a style that I'd like to look into further.

02-03-2008 02:49:03 | More by Proteus93
devlishdamsel

Washington

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

S: Single 11.2 ounce bottle from shelve of local beer section in natural market. It was the last bottle. I thought about picking it up last week during a haul, but hesitated due to the price tag. Luckily she was still there when I returned and a friend of mine who is a local distributor sang her praises.

Appearance: Darkish red ( sadly the tulip style glasses i used were a very dark glass, its possible my perception of the color could be off due to this.) Very frothy voluminous white head.

Smell: As this was aged in oak casks for a bit i could definitely smell notes of that.

Taste: Exceptionally complex, with a very mild bitterness and slight sour acidity. I sipped on this with dinner and finished off with pairing it with fruit later. This beer pairs amazing with fruit, especially pineapple.

Mouthfeel: slightly carbonated in texture, but almost smooth like a cider. the froth on the head is composed of very fine bubbles.

Overall: Definitely a win! I will definitely add this beer to my rotation of Belgians as it deserves no less.

12-25-2012 02:35:50 | More by devlishdamsel
DarkerTheBetter

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

I found this on-tap at McMenamin’s in Philly.

This beer pours a murky root beer and gold color, but when held to the light, it reveals a glowing cherry. The head is a thin film of slightly tan.

Smells of musky sour cherries and a dry, crisp red wine.

The flavor is similar with a similar musky sour cherry with a light creamy wheat in the background. There’s also a little orange and lime here too.

The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with a very active carbonation.

I’m just a sucker for this style, so I loved it. A little heavy feeling, but delicious!

07-25-2006 16:21:50 | More by DarkerTheBetter
flexabull

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottle courtesy of klikger, thanks again!

Pours a deep amber color with a sizable off-white head.

Aromas are potent! Cider vinegar, earth, clay, and spicy breads.

Flavors are not as power packed as the nose. Light cola sweetness, bready, spicy, earthy, and subtle funky cider vinegar notes. Finish is dry and tart. Very balanced between malt sweetness and yeasty sourness.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Full and smooth, well carbonated.

Drinkability is great. What a great example of the style. I think I prefer Rodenbach though, the nose on this one is just a tiny bit off putting to me. Don't get me wrong though, this is still a top notch beer.

06-19-2010 18:16:51 | More by flexabull
TenHornsProud

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Having recently purchased an oak barrel for homebrewing purposes, I needed to "research" some barrel aged "sours," as that's what I'm looking towards.

Sweet Duchesse here begins a quest that will surely destroy my bank account, home life, and possibly work life as well. So it goes.

She is nice and red, i mean a darker kind of sexy red, not ginger. Smells of vinegar and oak with some kind of fruity sweetness...a good sign.

Fantastic mouth feel, high carbonation. Taste's of sweet, sour cherry and beer, minor funk cuts through to make it interesting. Drink it too quick and all you get in vinegar, so don't. I'll be drinking this again.

02-19-2011 16:03:22 | More by TenHornsProud
srandycarter

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Was happy to find this one at the Main Tap Tavern in El Cajon.

A - Clear ruby, nice liw white head, some lace.

S - Sour, tart fruit. Bright sour cherry.

T - Wonderful cooked and sour cherry. Nice malt aspect.

M - Medium body, good balance. Clean finish.

D - Would drink this one all night.

08-25-2012 17:37:44 | More by srandycarter
thegodfather2701

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

This is my first beer of this style so that should probably be kept in mind when reading my review.

A-Pours a beautiful cherry/brown with an excellent off white billowy head.

S-Tart and sour, cherries and apples jump out at me, and just a hint of citrus. Its pretty complex and strong.

T-I would be lying if I didn't admit the first sip took my breath away. At first I couldn't decide if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but it was definitely a positive. It tastes like a strong carbonated water with sour cherries and apples. Vinegar comes in for the finish but is accompanied by some sweetness.

M-Carbonated but in a good way because it helps make it exceptionally refreshing.

D-I don't know if I could drink more than one of these in a sitting because it is unlike any beer I have ever had. But I definitely enjoyed the experience and will try other beers of the style.

Overall, I enjoy this beer and would drink it or other examples of the style. It is very interesting and refreshing.

12-09-2009 20:32:18 | More by thegodfather2701
chugalug06

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Large straw colored bubbly head. Lacing is spotty. Brew has is a nice clear burgundy color.

Light green apple tartness. Some light peach and apricot.

Smoothly (heavy) carbonated, surprising judging by the head. Flavors are intricate and blend well. Lots of peach, apple, and pear. Bitterness is slight, burn is none, and bite is slender.

A bit all over the board, but recommended. A nice well distributed Sour. Relaxing and unique for a Friday after a busy week.

11-17-2012 03:01:32 | More by chugalug06
malty

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into my Rodenbach 8 oz. stemmed glass a beautiful ruby red with orange-copper edges. A creamed colored fluffy/dense head stands steady at 1". Visible racing carbonation.

A quick few swirls of the glass and a FRESH carmel covered tart apple scent erupts. A prolonged inhale detects cinnamon, concord grapes and pickled brussel sprouts. What a unique assortment of scents!

The liquid touches my lips and replicates basically everything I smelled. Tart & sweet for sure. Definitely more on the sweeter side of any Flemish red I ever tasted. Reminiscent of sweet iced tea with bitters. Faint molasses that brings hearty Dopplebocks to mind. Sweet candi sugar ending.

Mouthfeel is delectable. Fine and kinetic carbonation makes this a joy to drink. Not nearly the dry/tart finish I was expecting.

Drinkability is good. Tone-down the sweetness and it would be perfect.

Overall an utterly unique ale with many (in a good way) schizophrenic combinations of fresh and boisterous flavors. I'm still a little perplexed, but I do know I like it a lot. The sweetness is a little too much from what I was anticipating. But it's good to get your socks blown-off every once and a while! Fantastic beer.

06-04-2006 23:24:10 | More by malty
gory4d

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours clear burgundy with a fluffy pale head that leaves lacing down the sides of my tulip glass. Smell is like a mild raspberry vinegar that kicks my salivary glands into action. The taste is something else; if you don't like sour beers, this won't convert you, but it starts with a sharp fruit kick like dried apricots, giving way to a sweet malt flavor that immediately opens up into a mouthwatering sourness that lasts. It's nice and smooth, and I could drink this all night.

04-05-2008 04:22:32 | More by gory4d
Crosling

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Dark red. Extremely vinous nose (Pinot Noir), with hints of ripe red fruit, muffin batter, overloaded with blueberries, a light touch of caramel and of course. lactic and acetic acid funk. Quite vibrant. Rich compatibility between the sweet malts, bright fruits and sweeteners (?) and the funky and sour lactic and acetic, lightly woody tones. Really more of a mild Red, but very characterful and complex.

04-24-2006 15:47:26 | More by Crosling
chickencoop

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

As a BA you hope and need to try every style out there, just to be well-rounded, so I attempted to enter the realm of sours, and failed when I started with a Supplication, just didn't get it. So thanks to Ed at Ledgers Liqours in Berkeley, he informed me that this would be where to begin. Now I know this isn't and American Wild Ale/ Sour, but i'll work up to that. This poured a deep amber, small head. Smell was sweet vinegar. Taste started pretty sour, but ended with a sweet vinegar taste. This is quite drinkable once you get going on it. Very good.

04-15-2010 02:09:02 | More by chickencoop
hardy008

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a ruby brown color, with a 3 finger off white head with nice retention and lacing. Nice aroma. It has tart cherries, green apples, cider vinegar, oak, and barnyard funk.

The taste is sweeter than I expected. Sweet and tart cherries, sweet green apple, oak, vanilla, and sugar. The barnyard funk and the cider vinegar I detected in the aroma, do not appear in the taste. This is wonderfully complex.

Medium bodied with medium carbonation. The aftertaste is slightly sweet and slightly sour. This is a very nice Flanders Red Ale. I recommend this beer highly.

02-19-2011 03:29:12 | More by hardy008
yeagerbm

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours into a goblet with a bright mahogany color not unlike a merlot, topped by a light brown head with very tight bubbles. The head is very frothy with a few aggressive swirls in the glass. Smell is soured fruit and a light vinegar aroma which took me off gaurd, being new to the style. Taste is very tart and fruity cherries yet sweet and relatively drinkable. I am very impressed with the unusually creamy mouthfeel with very dense carbonation. I may have to explore more of these diverse and fruity Belgian ales that I haven't been interested in exploring before.

08-05-2004 02:18:25 | More by yeagerbm
BillyBoysPie

Kentucky

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap in the appropriate glassware at the (soon to be if it isn't already) legendary Sergio's World Beers in Louisville, KY. Go. Now.

Reddish-brownish-purple with a dense white foam on top. Near perfect lacing with decent retention.

Tart and sour flavors dominate the nose. Well fruited, mostly cassis (currant) and raspberry combined with tart rhubarb like acidity. Some malt comes through, but the slight buttery is far more interesting.

Grape bubblegum and tart raspberry are in the front with some of the oaky, woody characteristics filling out the beer. It's very delicate, but really clean. Well balanced and very enjoyable.

Light, not too viscous. Enough carbonation to accentuate the tart without overpowering the sour.

Easy to drink - if you like the style, which I do. It's really fun and deep.

03-13-2010 01:27:39 | More by BillyBoysPie
Immortale25

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into a Dogfish signature snifter. Label says best before 09/11/2013.

A- Pours a ruby-like brown color with almost two fingers worth of head that retains well before making its way down to an 1/8 inch ring around the edge of the glass. A nice sheet of surface foam and good lacing. Actually looks quite nice.

S- Oh, but it will be sour indeed. Pungent, almost medicinal fumes of wild funk. I can actually smell the tartness which immediately causes my tongue to pucker and salivate slightly.

T- Oh my. That's good! Sweet in the front, very tart in the back and plenty of twists and turns in between. Has the candy-like fruit flavor of a lambic while still brandishing that assertive sourness. Also a noticeable use of malts which keeps that nice, solid beer body amongst the acidity.

M- Very drying and, of course, puckering. Medium-high carbonation.

O- Yes, it's quite tart and does very little to quench my thirst but, after your palate gets acquainted with those tastes, it's very well-balanced. I don't usually get into sours, but I wouldn't mind having this every once in a while. Hat's off to the Duchesse.

02-10-2012 23:07:45 | More by Immortale25
Hoppsbabo

United Kingdom (England)

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Dark copper, not particularly red. Nice though. Can almost see through it. Small but sustained off-white head comprising bubbles of various sizes.

S: The typical components of a Belgian dark ale with vinegar added.

T: Oh, my. Very complex. It's fairly sweet but balanced with sourness but not as sour as I was expecting. There's strong balsamic vinegar at the forefront then chocolate, cola and some coriander seed. In the aftertaste there's plum tea and a delicate green grape flavour that lingers for a long time afterwards, quite reminiscent of Remy Martin VSOP. Alcohol is completely imperceptible. From the dregs I get a touch of ginger beer.

M: A soft effervescence. Sort of foamy but not saturated with air. Ever so slightly sticky.

O: A quality beer but not something I'd drink often.

04-14-2013 12:08:00 | More by Hoppsbabo
barczar

Kentucky

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a brilliant amber with a frothy beige head. Tart cherry and acetic acid open the aroma, with toasted oak and vinous qualities adding complexity. Flavor is very acetic, with toasted barrel drying out the finish. Tart cherries and balsamic vinegar are evident. Puckeringly sour, with cherry lingering in the finish. Slightly spicy, phenolic aftertaste.

07-26-2014 02:20:08 | More by barczar
IntriqKen

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Dark reddish amber...very rich...with a half finger head that melted quickly to a sticky lacing all across the top.
Aroma is immediately vinegar...red wine...sweet fruits. Very complex.
Taste is slightly sour...cherries....raisins....no alcohol...a little apple peel.
Aftertaste is smooth...tiny sweetness...a little bigger tiny sourness.
Ok..this is the first of this style I've had but it is so complex, so very different from anything I've had before I don't know the right adjectives to describe it.
I'm sort of stuck with....interesting....totally different and unexpected....I like it....this should be the end of the day, not mid-day...how do I ever follow it?
I find it difficult to drink this beer slowly as I keep discovering new things in the taste with every sip.
I think this may be as complex as any beer has a right to be...yet somehow everything seems balanced...with each sip I keep thinking...'yeah...nice'...'this works'.

09-09-2006 21:47:03 | More by IntriqKen
NeroFiddled

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Carefully poured from a long-standing bottle it's a surprisingly clear, reddish-brown with orange-ish highlights. The light tan head rises up full at first, but thins shortly. The thin cap, however, holds to the end of the serving - no doubt buoyed by effervescent carbonation - and leaves some noteable lace. The aroma is soft with sugary sweet dark fruit (cherry, raspberry, plum) and an array of gentle lactic notes including vinegar, leather, and barnyard. It's also a touch of vegetal character, and the combination of sugar sweet and vinegar leaves it with a note that's oddly similar to ketchup. It's not bad, but it's sweeter, more chalky, and much less sour than many of the examples from the historic town of Oudenaarde. The body is light but with some dextrins, and offers a crisp and zesty mouthfeel from a very fine, effervescent carbonation. The flavor starts with a combination of tart, sharp fruit (raisin, raspberry, prune, currant, sour cherry) and sweetish caramelized sugar at the front of the mouth, leading into a more winey character with a big woody note and sweet maltiness at mid swallow. It finishes a bit chalky and dry, with a light stickiness throughout the mouth and a sweet & tart note on the tip of the tongue - sometimes followed by an earthy, musty and acidic burp. A very good beer in the Oud Bruin style, posessing a solid oak character and good fruitiness, but possibly a touch sweet. Overall, quite enjoyable.

08-15-2002 13:45:32 | More by NeroFiddled