Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed this in Hong Kong on 10/19/09 from notes taken.

Appearance: Poured a 2 finger frothy head, maple brown in color with lots of carbonation

Smell: Highly acidic and unripened apples

Taste: Opens with sweet apple and subtle raisin as tagy and slightly acidic flavors come into play with an earthy alcohol finish leaving a tart, subtle sour apple and malt aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with moderate carbonation and slightly coarse.

Drinkability: Surprisingly I would have this again, the nose really hides the sweet undertone in the taste, I would have this again and recommend this to those who want to try a sour but aren't prepared for a full blown sour ale. Opens with fruit and finishes rather tart and sour but not overwhelming.

3.89/5  rDev -6.5%

Not bad by any means you just have to remember what this beer is trying to be not what you expect it to be. Appearance dark brown but the head left a bit two quick for my taste. Smell was vinager and some oak. Taste very winey and sour with hints of vannila and oak. Mouthfeel was mediem body and low carbonation. Drinkability not bad a decent thirst quencher.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a flute. Bottle had a best before date of 08.06.06 on the back of the label.
Appearance: dark chestnut brown color streaked with maroon highlights and topped by a bubbly yet durable off-white head. Minimal carbonation seen yet the head endured and left nice lace behind.
Smell: sweet-and-sour aroma with hints of cherry and oak. Soft caramel and touch of funk. Some vinegary notes, too. Interesting, but not as potent as expected.
Taste: puckery vinegar taste right up front vied for attention with a sweet/tart fruitiness. My guess was a bit of cherry but I couldn't quite place the fruit. Caramel and slight earthiness contrasted with the sour bite. Oak flavor undertones. Sharply acidic finish.
Feel: medium body, lively.
Overall: an interesting contrast of sweetness versus tart acidity and biting sourness. Nicely done.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Nice dark brown color with surprisingly light colored head. At first whiff it reminded me of very expensive balsamic vinegar and strong cider without the spice. My first taste was taken slow and a small amount because I figured this sour brown was gonna do a number on my palate. Much to my surprise The sourness did not trash my mouth as New Belgium's La Folie did the first time. A little more acid then most but flavors of apple cider, balsamic vinegar, sweet dried fruits, with tart finish on the backsides of the tongue. Better to be enjoyed out of the 4 pack if drinking alone or shared with a friend if enjoying a 750 ml.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

This tasted a bit like fermented grape soda upon first sip. By the end of the glass i had grown a taste for it. Very tart, very dry, but verrry different and pretty damned tasty. I couldn't see drinking more than one or two tho.

Poured on tap at O'Brien's in San Diego. Appearance was nice, smell was very sweet and fruity, lots of grape and cherry. Effervescent mouthfeel, extremely fizzy. The taste is sweet at first, then rapidly shifts to extremely sour. From there it's a contrast of the dry tartness and a refreshing sweetness.

Recommended, but only for sour beer lovers.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

11.2oz bottle, best before 21-03-08.

pours a deep dark red, nearly brown, with a small dense tan head. the head drops slowly and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is nice. big funky blast. lemony sourness. bit of malt vinegar. orange.

taste is good. nice light sweetness. bit of lemony sourness. light orange and tangerine. hint of malt vinegar. cracker malt.

mouthfeel is good. low carbonation. medium body and nice dry finish.

drinkability is good. not too acidic or vingary. nicely balanced. alcohol is completely hidden. really interesting and enjoyable beer.

My first Oud Bruin..

Nice reddish brown color with a small head. Smell was tart and vinegary. Sour overtones on the taste, with vinegar hints and red wine hints and just a nice tartness throughout with a woody overtone on the end. Maybe not something I'd drink on a regular basis, but very interesting for a change of pace..

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorites of this style. Smooth taste, easy drinking.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

A- dark orange amber beer. Very clear with a good head on it and determined lacing.

S- some dark cherry and sour apples.

T- Tart up front with a funky finish. Very tart. Bitterness at the end starts by leaving a not so pleasant taste in the mouth but the more you drink it the better it gets.

M- Feels great. Good balance and smoothness. Right carbonation.

O- At first the finish didn't work for me. but the more I drank it the more accustomed I got to it. By the time I reached the end it was a pretty pleasant Flanders.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a lightly hazy dark reddish amber color with a 1 finger tan head that lasts for about a minute before subsiding to a small ring, leaving small bits of lacing.

The smell upfront showcases a burst of sour cherries amidst a woody background. There is a vinegar like smell at the end, but the aroma mostly comes off a little more sweet than sour.

Now the taste mixes things up a little. There is absolutely a strong taste of vinegar upfront. Towards the middle, the cherries come back into the picture, and there is still a faint woody taste in the background. Raspberries are also present, making this one quite fruity at times, but also a little acidic. The finish is again a little more sweet than sour and that sweetness is needed to balance out the vinegar. I'd think that vinegar taste could be done away with but I'll still give this a good mark for being satisfying overall.

Medium bodied, maybe a little thin, medium carbonation. Duchesse looks good, smells fairly good, and the taste is good, but a little weird. That sharp acid upfront is just strange, but it balances out by the middle and into the finish. The sweetness of the fruit helps bring it all together. I could rate this one much higher if not for that vinegar touch, but it is still enjoyable for the most part. Good to try no doubt, but I won't be stocking up on these.

3.87/5  rDev -7%

Best before date of 08-14-09. Poured into a westmalle glass very dark brown with a one finger off white head.

This is my first attempt at a Flemish Red. And whoa, is it different. First off the smell is something totally unexpected. Rich in carmalized raisins. Followed by a wooded smell. I would almost compare it to wood rot.

The taste is very interesting. There is a sweetness to it that counters to a very strong and overpowering sourness. The raisin flavor is there along with an almost lichorice flavor.

I've got to say, for my first experience with a Flemish, I don't like it one bit. I'm sure this is a very good example of the style, which is why I'm going to rate it high because it's got all the characteristics. It just seems this style isn't my cup of tea.

3.87/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

750ml cork and cage bottle served in a DFH signature glass. Cork shows an expiration date of 7/2015.

Appearance: Pours a dark red brown color with 1+ finger of a tan head that yields good retention and lacing. When held to light, body is clear with a dark amber color. Lots of visible carbonation.

Smell: Balsamic vinegar, sour cherries, damp oak, some light caramel and red grape.

Taste: Starts with a surprising amount of sweetness on the tongue before some mild sourness starts to creep in and balance it out some. Flavors are sweet and sour cherry, vinegar, red apple, hints of brown bread and Belgian candi sugar.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, soft mouthfeel with medium carbonation. No real alcohol presence.

Overall: Great in all other aspects, but a bit of a letdown in the taste. There's some nice complexity there, but the sweetness is a bit distracting. If the sweetness were turned down and the sourness/acidity turned up a bit, this would be excellent. It's worth a try if you haven't had it, but if you're looking for a regular Flanders Red fix, just stick to Rodenbach Grand Cru

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%

So, I need to admit a prejudice against Flemmish reds as I go into this review. As a self admitted hop adict, it's just not my "go to" style. Nonetheless I went ahead and ordered a 350ml bottle tonight and I was favorably impressed.

As others have noted, this guy brings a Great pour to the table. I was impressed, but, alas, my beer was too cold, so I had to cuddle it for a while. Once warmed, a lot of the sour notes mellowed out and it became quite drinkable.

Still, I had the feeling I was missing something. Perhaps it's just my palate, but the sour notes overpowered everything else the beer might have had to offer.

Based on past experiences with Belgians, I toyed with the idea that food might help, so I paired some frites with mayo with it. Much to my surprise, the salt on the frites really did a number on this one, opening up a whole new range if flavors I hadn't noticed before.

So, word of caution. Come to this knowing it'll taste profoundly different from almost anything else you'll easily find.

As always, my 2¢ only...

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle the ber showed a very dark red, opaque in the middle but translucent blood red on the edges. White head that had excellent retention and left a beautiful lacing on the glass.

Smell was a little bit less sour than on tap, the balsamic smell stood out more from the bottle.

Taste from the bottle was exactly as it was on draft, sour cherries, candy, with a smooth balsamic finish. I enjoyed this was a beef roast and it was excellent.

Very light carbonation but worked as an absolutely wonderful drink to go with dinner. Very clean drinking beer.

I still could not drink more than one glass of this in a sitting unless I was eating a large meal with it and needed more than one glass to accompany my meal.

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%

Before this beer, for funky beers I have only had Allagash Interlude, which I LOVED. My friend and I picked up a bottle at the local co-op to go with brie, fruit, and crackers. Split two ways between an eight ounce ball jar and a four ounce tulip glass. I got the eight ouncer :-P

Just as a side note, my bottle clearly says 6%abv, so not sure why it says 6.2% on this site.

A- Poured with a perfect 1-2 finger head in each glass. Head is smooth and even. Color is a crystal clear brilliant red. No yeast sediment in bottle- perhaps they filtered it at bottling??

S- Interesting smell. On initial opening of bottle there was a very strong fruity/vinegary smell of kombucha. Upon pouring this changed to have a slight kombucha nose initially fading to malty/fruity oak.

T- Whoa! Not what I was expecting! First sip started with a nice balance of clean tart fruitiness and malt. This quickly changed to a very strong musky bitterness reminiscent of sour milk, which quickly changed again so a slightly syrupy malty tartness. A whole lot going on in this beer. The oak flavor was not as up front as the aroma suggested. If it weren't for the moderately offensive musky bitterness and the abrupt changes in flavor with each sip, I might have given this section better than a 3.5 rating. I would say that nothing was "smooth" about the drinking experience. The flavors didn't really change much as we got through the bottle.

M- An odd contrast between a slight thick syrupiness and a thin dryness- perhaps from the blending of old and new beer?

O- If it weren't for the musky bitterness, I think I would have loved this beer. It was beautiful, smelled divine, but with that musky bitterness and how the beer's flavor changed so rapidly during each sip that it was hard to relax and appreciate the subtle flavors as they slowly evolve on the pallet. Don't think I will be getting another one of these any time soon, but I would certainly like to continue trying the wild/sour beers that the US and Europe have to offer.

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%

750ml bottle poured into a oversized DFH snifter+ a small wine glass. Thanks Birradr14

Duchesse De Bourgogne graces a dark brown look from afar. Up towards brightness, a red mixture with orange patches and a mahogany screen. A lucious creamy bright vanilla head rose about a inch or so creating snowflake lace.

Her scent comprises of a dose of dark fruit with apple slices and minimal pear. Being a flanders red ale, Duchesse brings vinegar and it is the most forward out of any flanders red i've had. Hops are not a factor here. A sweet shot of vanilla and some oak from the barrel.

Holy sweet vinegar birdman, it is the main contender. Vinegar forward with dark fruits following (apples upfront) with a vanilla or light cream finish. Some pear and cherry. The oak is really prominent in the bottle. On tap, Duchesse is very sweet and the vinegar comes out a bit more, I like this version better. Not really tart or sour.

This has a light to medium body. The carbonation is present and expected from the pop of the cork. It works well. The liquid goes down kind of smooth. I dont find this to be tart or sour in the least bit, although there is some slight acidity on the tounge. This is quite smooth and easy going. The sweetness sticks around for a while (vanilla) but not as much than the on tap version IMO.

This is great beer. Not high in alcohol and the ladies sem to love it. I prefer the bottle version and would prefer the smaller version, I couldent take to much more than that. Big bottles are great for sharing. This would go well with some dark meats. With all this said Out of all the flanders red's I've had it's low in ranking because of the over the top vinegar taste, I've had better.

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A very interesting and tasty Belgian beer. This beer pours a nice dark amber, hazy blood-reddish colour with a nice sized head. It has the aromas of oak, vinegar, sour fruit, tartness, horse blanket, and cherries. It tastes of tart flavors, oak, and cherries. It reminds me of Unibroues Quelque Chose mixed with Liefmans Goudenband. The mouthfeel is creamy and thick and the drinkability is good once you get past the sourness. This beer is a mix of a young beer and an aged beer. It is aged in oaken casks in Belgium. When this beer warms the flavors become more complex and the tartness is enhanced.
A classic example of this style, I am told. I would like to try more Flemish Reds!
Cheers!
-F

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

A dark ruby and chestnut brown. Nearly no head. Decent lacing down the glass.

Tart sourness, some vinegar, and lots of sweet cherries. The cherries and sweet fruit stand out far more than in other Flanders Reds I've had. A very sweet, though tart and pleasant, aroma.

Taste follows the nose nearly identically. While this is sour, I wish it was even more so, as the cherry sweetness is a bit dominating and makes this beer just a bit too sweet and one note.

Medium bodied and somewhat sharp, though a pleasure to drink.

A great introductory beer for the style, especially for someone who may prefer sweeter beers, but it's a bit too sweet for my personal likings.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours dark reddish brown with a frothy tan head. Aroma a combination of sweet and sour cherries. Very sweet up front, flowing into a mild sour and finishing smooth with a slight vineous tartness. Med-low carbonation. Medium mouthfeel. Good beer, bit would like to see more sweet/sour balance. A little heavy on the sweet side.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

On-tap at the Farmhouse in Emmaus, PA. Served, post-dinner, in a large wine glass, murky brown with no head. This beer reminds me of Goudenband. The beer menu described this as having chocolate-covered raisin flavors, and I think that's a bit of a stretch. Certainly, there is a pairing of sweet candy and sour flavors, and I can find raisins in here, but no chocolate. This beer is not that much of a dessert beer. For it's creamy mix of flavor (which also includes salad vinaigrette) it's not an incredibly drinkable beer, but it is a semi-approachable sour ale that drinks a bit like a thick hard cider. Not my favorite, but a beer to try if you're into the wild styles.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from 11.2oz bottle.

A- Pours a clear reddish brown color. One finger tan head shows medium retention. Light lacing left on the glass.

S- Big red wine like vinegar mess upfront. Ok..maybe I shouldn't say mess but very much the standout aroma. Light cherries in the middle to backing of this beer. Band-aid like aroma lingers here and there rounding out most of the aroma. No real alcohol in the nose.

T- Sour puckering vinegar notes right off the bat. There is a light nutty malt in the middle mixed with a cherry flavor. Some oaky notes and back to the cherry acidic tones. Very backend shows more green apple tones then anything else.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonatoin is good for the style I would say. Cherries and vinegar left on the palate with some green apple aftertaste. Flavors blended well with this beer but the vinegar lasts over and through most of them. Light drying on the palate after each sip.

D- This was a good beer that I was glad to try. A perfect amount came in the bottle and left me really not wanting anymore. I would do yourself a favor and seek this beer out.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a deep reddish brown that has a small off white head that leaves a layer of lacing on the glass.

Smells of sour cherries, apple cider, and a little red wine.

Tastes of a big apple cider vinegar taste. A little sweetness to cut the sour, but the sourness takes full stage. Fruits again are found in the sweetness with the likes of cherries, apple, grapes, and plums.

Mouthfeel is a solid medium a prickly amount of carbonation that is a little harsh.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured the 33 cL glass into an oversized red wine glass to capture the aroma. Best by date: March 18, 2011.
A: Mahogany with ruby hues and a clear body. Poured with a thick tan film, which died to a good lace.
S: Tart raisin, cranberry granny smith apples with earthy, musty notes.
T: Very sweet and tart cranberry/cherry sparkling grape juice. It is extremely fruity with toffee, walnut and pecan flavors.
M: Very syrupy with a soda-like carbonation.
D: This is too sweet to have many in a row, but it is quite mild and refreshing like sparkling juice.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe