Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours as a thick, reddish brown with white head and good carbonation. Aromas of sour, acidic cider with cherry and rasberry notes. Taste bursts of fresh grape juice and red wine vinegar with nice oak notes. I found the overall body to be very light and unassuming with less of an acidic kick than I was expecting. Nicely subtle and the dry finish makes for a good starter beer.

GooberMcNutly, Jan 19, 2007
3.21/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Medium brown, beige head, sparse lacing.

Raisin, nuts, light funk, vanilla.

Taste is very sweet, nuts, lots of oak and sweet unripe grapes are at the front, the lightest pinch of sour going on. The sweetness overpowers.

Light spritzy mouthfeel.

A good starter belgian. A bit too sweet for my taste.

ptykozoon, May 27, 2014

mattfancett, Aug 27, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Wierd.

An impressive deep copper colour, but not much head. Smells like wine, with traces of spice. It taste very similar to wine, or even alcoholic grape juice, with hints of plum, spices, raisin and even coffee in the background. Very interesting.

Carbonation is good, but this beer seems at times too sweet and wine-like. The richness and higher than typical strength will probably limit me to one of these a session.

BDTyre, Aug 08, 2005

Goblet at Naja's Place

Super sweet and sour, one of my friend's favorites, so I gave it a try

10 ounces for $6.50 was a little steep in my book

Highly carbonated and large head

Berries and vinegar hints dominated the smell

Taste lasts a long time and makes you even thirstier

Could not drink much of this at all, 12 ounces would probably be the limit

Floydster, Sep 10, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a striking ruby hue with a fluffy strawberry cream colored head that dissipates leaving some spotty lacing.

The first smell that I pick up on this brew is a thick but somewhat mild cherry infused funk. Sniff after sniff I get more cherry, apple and a touch of vinous alcohol. All I can think is merlot, this beer smells like wine... I love the smell this brew throws off.

My first sip provides a kick in the teeth of cherry. Sweetness followed by a mildly abrasive tartness combined with a very worked over tasting oak barrel flavor. I also get an earthy yeasty light gymsock funk as well. There is a strange resonating taste in the back of my mouth that honestly reminds me of the pink sweet and sour sauce at my corner Chinese restaurant. There is definitely a lot going on in this brew and It's taking a lot of sipping to grasp everything.

The mouthfeel starts out feeling quite light and airy, but as I swallow I get a strange coating effect that leaves a fairly extreme dryness. Carbonation is mild and almost unnoticeable after several sips.

Overall this is a good brew to enjoy a meal with, but a 750 will probably need to be shared. This brew is a bit sweet and cloying to enjoy a large amount of.

BDLbrewster, Oct 27, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

A: Deep mulberry color with a smaller white head that has a little bit of pink color. It leaves some nice lacing all around the glass.

S: Very odd smell, like a mix of malts with I would say a Syrah/Shiraz smells like. Ahhh hence the aging in oak casks. Not overly impressed with the smell.

T: Very complex tasting beer, super sugary malt flavor, with a sour apple kind of taste with a mix of a champagne and wine mix. A little too sweet for my likings . I like the mix of flavors and it definitely is an interesting taste but this tastes too close to a lambic for my likings.

MF: Very light and bubbly, again almost like champagne. Interesting style for a beer.

D: Pretty drinkable if you're into the style I suppose.

ChillMike, Dec 20, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

Dark, reddish brown witha chunky light tan head. Aroma is sharply sour and a touch fruity. Vinegar scent is almost overpowering. Flavor is much less potent than the aroma suggests. Very complex with many flavors hiding under the press of sourness. Not really sure how I feel about it. Definitly woth a try, but it gets to be a real chore to drink.

Sixpack595, May 31, 2004
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Was recommended to me by a gal at By The Bottle.. so hear it goes... poured in a tulip.

- Bubbly creamy colored fizz... leaves a nice steady finger of head... dark ruby copper color, clear.. red... each and every bubble is of such uniform size... interesting,.

- Esters, plum, fig, vinegar... slight straw funk.. sweet.. almost minty..

- Interesting and very sweet. Light tartness, vinegar... syrup.. esters.. plum, fig, prune.. light woody notes, oak perhaps..

- Sticky sweet... very carbonated.. almost too bubbly. Light bodied..

- Overall a tad too sweet for my taste.. would like it to be a lot more sour... and it is a tad over-carbonated. Would like it better I think if more sugars were devoured and made into a 9% flemish. I bet it would taste a lot better.

Docer, Sep 14, 2010

330ml bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a clear brown colour with huge fizzy beige head. There appears to be a lower than normal amount of carbonation. There is some faint lacing, and the head lasted for a while.

Smell - Slightly metallic, vinegar, plums, a peppery spice mix

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a nice mouth feel, lots of little bubbles on the tongue. It feels very light - But it is definitely not light tasting. This beer packs a punch with a whole lot of various flavours going on. I have to say that I've never encountered a beer that tasted quite like this one. It reminds me of a glass of port mixed with champagne and beer. It tastes slightly metallic, lots of sweet grape flavour, and some woody notes. It finishes with a grape and metallic bitter aftertaste.

Drink - I have to say.. not one of my favorite beers. I can see how it might appeal to some, but this beer isn't for me.

spinrsx, Sep 24, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured into my Lindeman's stange-flute.Ruby color with an off white to light brown heading. Very alive looking from the pour to the bitter end.

Smell is not what I expected. The tart aroma is there but very weak and is sidelined by a somewhat vinegear aroma? Some sweeter belgian candy notes but again very week.

Taste is extremely sweet with a heavy belgian candy like sugar and brown sugar. The tartness does pull through to peek it's head through but can not match the overpowering sweetness.

Mouth is heavily carbonated with a heavy thump of syrup on the palate that linger's for a bit.

All and all a bit disappointing. I expected a sour treat and I got a sugar bomb. Oh well.

TheFightfan1, Jan 21, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a dark brownish-red hue and very small head. Some lacing, but not a lot.

Very vinegary smell. Not totally unpleasant, but it kind of reminded me of a salad in liquid form.

The taste was complex, but not in a way I enjoy. A previous reviewer said it was like a red wine vinaigrette and I tend to agree with that. It almost didn't have the qualities of a beer.

It had a fair mouthfeel. Not a huge amount of carbonation here. The finish was not especially smooth.

I didn't particularly care for this one. It had much to pungent a taste to go down well Like I said, it almost wasn't like a beer at all.

avalon07, Feb 25, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

This beer was given my highest rating when I sampled it again and again in the bottle. I had this for the first time on-tap, and it was a big disappointment. I'm not ready to pan the beer in this review, just significantly deduct points. What makes Duchesse so fantastic in the bottle is a rainbow of flavors and its incredible complexity. There are sweet and sours, and cherry and sherry flavors all blending and dancing about. Each sip is an experience and the tastes just dazzle and insinuate themselves and change with each sip as the beer warms and settles.

Duchesse on tap is much more uniform, much more sour, and just does not have that complex range of flavors. I found the beer to be a bit vinegary, overly sour, less carbonated than in the bottle, and just a downer. I wouldnt go back to this on tap again, knowing what is in store in the bottle version.

albern, Jan 04, 2009

Reviewed 10/10/2008 (bottle Exp Date 12/09):

Pours a brown-reddish colored body, with a tannish head, small, and lastingish. Has a sour dark fruit aroma, alcoholy. Fruity sweet taste. Very fizzy. Not as sour as it smells. Light fruity, appley. A little flat. Light taste. Might be better w/food.

jujubeast6000, Mar 25, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a light, red wine color with a hint of brown. Smelled a bit like red wine, but with a slight hop nuance and cherry lambic tartness. Tasted very sour, this was my first Flanders Red Ale, so I didn't know what to expect. Reminded of a cherry lambic, something I would have after dinner with a tart torte. Could also taste some winey grape notes as well. Mouthfeel was light but with an unexpected tartness, I wouldn't have more than one of these 750ml bottles in a day.

scruffwhor, Dec 07, 2005
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

I think me and any Flanders officially dont get along.
It pours a mildly headish ruby brown smelling frankly like sour patch kids, vinegar, and alcohol.
The taste is light, lighter than the smell leads you to believe. It's not my favorite, but it did finish with a saki clean, like a good Flanders. The body is a little light, though from other's I've had.

murrayswine, Feb 13, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

had on draft at Zeno's in state college.
nice dark copper color. small frosty bubbles, not too much head, good looking. great sour smell - not too surprising knowing it is a flemish sour - a bit heavy on the vinegar smell - a little musty and moldy smell as well - but not all in a bad way. taste is not quite as good as it looks or smells. a bit disappointing. had a bit of an off flavor. it is within style, but just not the best flemish sour that i have had. one glass is enough of this one.

Hophead101, Jun 24, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The Duchesse pours a transparent burnt copper with a firm head of light brown foam,it leaves some spotty lacing. The nose is sour and reminds me of spoiled tomatoes,not completely rotten,but close. This Flanders starts off sweet and reminds me of apple cider or apple butter,with some sour tartness and subtle spice. Midway I pickup some aged barrel flavorings and vinegar,still reminds me of salad dressing in a way. The end is tomato ketchup like and for me keeps the score down a half point. I enjoy this offering three fourths of the way through but the finish keeps me from wanting much more. Medium bodied with quite a lot of carbonation,and a slick feel. I had the Duchesse a while back and I'm almost sure it was rotten,I couldn't even finish it and scored it an F. The Duchesse De Bourgogne has proven to be a very complex woman that I'm still trying to figure out completely.

orangemoustache, Dec 03, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -25.5%

From label and name a beer with great appearance. Also from beerstyle one to watch out for of course... or not?
Appearance in the glass is not exceptional, no big head and a brown, in sunlight red colour. Smell is fruity and litle sour with some oak. Taste is mild( compared to the Rodenbach grand cru) and a lot sweeter& less sour. Some oak is there but taste is mostly sweet and gets sweeter and sweeter. After drinking half a glas and reviewing it I got more and more a feeling that it was lemonade what I was tasting. Maybe a nice beer for people that start with sour beers but nothing special to me.

paterlodie, Dec 06, 2004
3.1/5  rDev -25.5%

Ok so I haven't had many flanders reds and I know they are supposed to be sour so maybe I need to try more of them but this was tough to drink. It tasted like oaked cherry coke with a bit of port and chocolate in the background. It was a beautiful looking pour but it took me a WHILE to finish this one. It was better room temp. So let it sit for a while. I had it just slightly chilled to begin with which wasn't as good. Maybe it needed to mellow.

BreworFerment, Jan 29, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -26%

11.2 oz. bottle:

Pours deep mahogany (nice color) with very little head.

The smell is vinuous - dark grape.

The taste is of grape and pomigranite. Slight oak. Wine-like (Manishevitz comes to mind). Sour with a fruity sweetness (subtle hints towards a chocolate, but more in that you would find in some wines). Aftertaste of grape soda lingers. Sweettart. Sweet and sour dominates, but more towards the sweetness. Dry finish.

It has certain unique characters, however, it doesn't stand out as anything above average for the style, IMO. Too much like grape soda for me.

jwc215, Jul 08, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -26.7%

Purchased an 11.2 oz bottle from Total Wine and More in Union, the first Flanders Red Ale I ever tried, and to be honest, I was pretty overwhelmed with the cloying, thick, rich, and ultra-sweet taste I encountered... nice ruby-red appearance with decent frothy head... smell is sharp and sweet, full of pine, sugars, and candy... taste is extremely rich and ultra dominating, very, very sweet with a strong apple-cider taste overpowering the beer... the smell is strongly alcoholic even though there is a modest 6.2% ABV... With such a strong and rich combination of flavors, this is definitely not a brew that I would want to down more than one of in a single setting... Copped this single sample for about $4.99... Very over-powering and strong... took it easy with this one... you will either love it or hate it...

dsa7783, Jan 23, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -26.7%

A - Very brown beer here, was expecting more of the red, especially with the initial smell that came from opening the bottle. Not a whole lot of amber showing through on this one.

S - Wow, talk about vinegar. It's overpowering, great if that's your thing.

T - Tastes a lot more full than the smell would indicate, but the smell is getting in the way of this. Very sour beer, but sweet as well.

M - Once again, more than you would expect from the smell, medium bodies, but kind of oily. Nice carbonation on this one.

D - Very easy drink, particularly if you like sour taste. Will get you drunk quite easily.

AgentZero, Aug 17, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -26.7%

12 oz poured into a tulip glass. pours a chocolate brown with deep ruby red highlights, and a sizable sandy colored head that remains through consumption, leaving patterned lacings on the glass..

smells of grapes, like a red wine. there is malt mixed in the aroma, with some bready yeast for a base. overall resembles a wine in its aroma.

taste is very sweet upfront, with the same grape flavor from the aroma. not much malt or hops here, creating a very sweet tasting fruit juice of a liquid. the maturation in oak casks is nowhere to be smelled or tasted, must be lost in the fruit.

mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with a bite from carbonation and alcohol, and a creamy texture. goes down very smooth.

drinkability is not very good due to the overly sweet nature of the brew. the bite from the carbonation and alcohol makes drinking it resemble a can of grape soda.

botham, Jul 26, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

Was fairly excited the first time I tried this, heard it was one of the all time classics. Poured equal parts light brown and dull red with a little bit of head formation. Aroma was a heavy wood and proportional sweet and sour.

Taste, the sour was very minimal was my first reaction, the sweet a little more than ideal for me, to say the least, and any degree of soggy wood, much less to that extent wasn't built to leave me all that impressed. Some flanders just don't have that acidic or fruity bite, and this be one of those. Decently covers up the alcohol, but doesn't impart really any appreciable tartness. Not enough carbonation. If anything I'd say I pull out some cocoa powder and toffee over flavors more often associated with something sour.

If there was fruit, it was that raisin and plum thing, as if it were made with tea. Sorry, I just don't see what the fuss about this one is.

Beerandraiderfan, Jan 02, 2012