Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Serving glass: Poured from tap into small 10oz wine-like glass.

Appearance: Dark ruby-brown with thin head and slight lacing.

Smell: Apples, cider and vinegar. Mix of sweet and tart.

Taste: Really reminds me a mixture of cider, ruby port and malt vinegar. Definite notes of apple, autumn spice and tart sweetness. Not nearly as sour as Rodenbach Grand Cru (which I enjoy quite a bit), with more of a vinegary sweetness.

Feel: Not really sure how to review this. Reminds me of a smooth cider. Carbonation is certainly noticeable, but not beer-like.

Drinkability: Gets better with each sip and as it warms. I feel I could have just kept sipping all night - damn 10oz glass!

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Cellared for 18 months. Poured from 750mL bottle into Duchesse de Bourgogne glass. Beer was a muddy brown color, with a very small, light brown head. Little carbonation and moderate lacing.

Aroma was tart cherries, vinegar and cider.

Taste was lightly tart fruit, sweet malt, butterscotch and wood. Not nearly as much vinegar or tartness that is present in a fresh bottle. Still very nice and a bit more drinkable.

Great beer and a good gateway into sour beers.

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle courtest of TimB.

Look: Reddish brown, transparent clear w/not much head.

Smell: aged oak, fruity tartness. very fragrant+interesting.

Taste: A lot going on. Tart/sourness, raspberries, oakiness w/aged fruit.

Finish: Oaky then fades to sweet overtones after. Crisp, dry tartness.

Overall: Complex w/various aged beers combined. Didn't even know this was a sour before I tried it and was pleasantly surprised.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Happy to be giving this a try, thanks to a Beers of the World gift certificate I received for graduation. My palate's leaning strongly towards wines and more assertive beers these days so I'm right in the mood for a Flanders Red.

Pours a reddish brown, more on the side of brown, with a soda-like off white head and lots of carbonation. Lots of bubbles sticking to the sides.

Aroma is of sweet vinegar and some minerals. Faint hints of meaty fruit like peaches or plums.

Taste is surprisingly sweet. Not too heavy on the sourness, which is a bit of a let down for me at the moment. Sometimes on the side of "rotten" moreso than "tart." Tastes like there's some brown malt in there or some equivalent that's pushing the beer more from "red" to "brown." Sweet like an English Brown ale towards the end and doesn't finish with any sourness.

Mouthfeel is effervescent and medium bodied. I'm already a bit tired of this thanks to the "rotten" taste. I was expecting more sour. I really enjoyed Ommegang Rouge and was hoping this would come close to it but it's definitely missed that mark for me.

3.04/5  rDev -26.9%

A - Very brown beer here, was expecting more of the red, especially with the initial smell that came from opening the bottle. Not a whole lot of amber showing through on this one.

S - Wow, talk about vinegar. It's overpowering, great if that's your thing.

T - Tastes a lot more full than the smell would indicate, but the smell is getting in the way of this. Very sour beer, but sweet as well.

M - Once again, more than you would expect from the smell, medium bodies, but kind of oily. Nice carbonation on this one.

D - Very easy drink, particularly if you like sour taste. Will get you drunk quite easily.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

This beer pours a dark ruby colour with nice carbonation that leaves a one finger head,it has a real sherry,port,winish smell about it with aromas of dark cherry,raisins and brown vinegar aswell,it has nice mouthfeel that feels heavy at first then finishes quite light with a sour,bitter/sweet finish that has tastes of blackberries and some raspberries and definately has alot of similar characteristics as a fine port,i quite enjoyed this beer but dont think i could drink it all night.

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

Wow what a crazy beer! This is a classic sour and its got a really good bite to it. It smells like vinegar but it really has of complexity to it and I have to say its one of the most solid sour beers I've had! Even my girlfriend likes it!

Sorry for any typos I reviewed this on my friends phone

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

I drank this from a 750 ml bottle into a chalice.

This poured a light brown, almost a coca-cola that had its ice melted. It had a brown head that went away quickly with little lacing.

This beer is totally overwhelmed by its flavor which is dominated by vinegar. It is very tart with light notes of cherry.

It tastes ok, but the smell overshadows the taste. It is a light complex flavor, but nothing special for this red.

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

I struggle reviewing this properly as it is my first sour beer and the style is very difficult.

A: An unsual shade of brown, flat, without the amber color seen so often.

S: crazy vinegar. You have go back for a second whiff prepared, but then you find so much, sweet cider, ripe apples. Still though so hard to really enjoy.

T: Much smoother and less potent than the nose. An elusive sweetness, not syrupy, but one that dances with the sour tang. Ripe fruit flavors and light coco bitterness. Can't deny the complexity.

M: light but not watery with good carbonationn

D: I don't see how even a fan of the style could find any sour to posses high drinkablity. The sweetness and sour quickly spoils your palate. That being said, the lightness almost makes quaffing easier than sipping. I do think it would be better with fruit and cheese.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

On tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A: Rusty pumpkin brown with a creamy tan head.

S: Vinegar, fruity, and sour.

T: Apples and chocolate. What combination!

M: Medium carbonation. Very light in the mouth. Creamy and smooth.

D: Very smooth. This aged sour goes down very easy. I could drink a lot of this.

Overall, a real unique beer. I heard the bartender say something about a sour ale matured in oak casks and double fermented. Instantly I knew I had to try it, I'm glad I did.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

11.2oz bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $4.75.

Poured into a St. Bernardus goblet, this beer had a russet color with a thin, light tan head. Once I agitated the glass, I managed to get an inch and a half of foam that took a couple of minutes to drop. A sticky webbing slowly receded, leaving isolated spots of lace on the sides of the glass.

Initially vinegary smelling, this quickly took on a complex, sour fruit scent with some faint, caramel-ish notes in the background.

The taste buds get hit with both a sugary and sour flavor. The two elements vie with one another, with a sour cherry and apple flavor barely winning out, with a faintly dry, tangy note at the swallow.

Medium bodied, with a slightly coating mouthfeel. Carbonation is just right.

A very tasty beer, it's my second of the style, the first being it's stable-mate, Vichtenaar. It reminds me that I need to drink these more often. Not something that woule be a good choice for sessioning, but it hits the spot after work and would probably do so after dinner as well.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Poured a dark brown with ruby hints with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is off sour dark fruits

T - Follows the nose dark fruit plums and apples finishes slightly sour

M - This beer has a medium to full body with medium carbonation to it

D - Its been awhile since the last time I had it and forgot how good this beer was its a great gateway to sour beer a must try

4.12/5  rDev -1%

A- Poured a reddish amber with an off-white head that actually stuck around with some decent lacing...

S- Ahhh, what I was hoping for in this brew...Slightly vinegar-y with some nice sour fruit notes...a little bit of funk (there's definitely some brews out there that are alot funkier) and a suprising amount of malt at the end...

T- To be honest, I was a little let down here (I guess I was just hoping for more)...taste is a little milder than it smelled, but still pretty damn good...tart fruits dominate with a decent balance of sweetness and maltiness...

M- Medium to light bodied...right amount of carbonation, but seems to be lacking the dryness I have come to expect out of sours...

D- This beer is still good, don't get me wrong...I guess I was anticipating an over-the-top sour that was in your face with the funk and would make your lips pucker...but that isn't this brew...this brew is very nicely balanced for the style, and is a very good introduction for those who haven't tried a beer of this variety...cheers!

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%

750ml corked & caged bottle into the appropriate DdB goblet.

Pours an attractive, ruddy amber hue with a clear body that supports a quarter-inch of creamy cappuccino head. Nice retention and spotty lacing left behind. The aroma is absolutely intoxicating, with an acetic tartness of apple flesh that just started to brown before being dipped in caramel. Supporting notes include leather, a hint of pepper, and some barnyard funk.

Oh, yum. Why have I not tried this beer until now? Delicious, delicate notes of toffee and caramel malt join with a drying tartness on the finish that leans toward apple cider and various other dark fruits (e.g., raisin, fig, and plum). I wish the sour flavor matched that of the aroma, as it's a bit subdued in comparison. Still, the well-carbonated body adds some zest to the finish, and the medium consistency is juicy and surprisingly thirst-quenching. Hard to believe, but this made an excellent night cap for a day spent moving furniture in the hot Houston sun. Easily a must-try, and one I'll be sure to have again.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Presentation: 750 Poured into snifter and chalice

Appearance: Dark reddish brown, plenty of carbonation. Moderate sized head with soapy lacing around the edge (in Chimay glass with nucleation point). No lacing in snifter without etching.

Smell: Vinegar malt, dark malt with hints of caramel. Slightly alcoholic in aroma.

Taste: Sweet vinegar, followed by grapes and cherries. A full out candy-sweetness with mild bitterness. Not very complex but the flavors that are out front are absolutely superb.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and smooth with mild but perfect carbonation.

Drinkability: Surprisingly easy to drink. It drinks fast, but its something you want to savor. A super beer overall. The price is a bit steep. Will drink again but not for a while. Ommegang Rogue was a lot more vinegar At 9.99$

3.47/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from PapaEugene. Poured in a Urthel glass. The beers pours a nice deep-brown ruby color with a dense sticky head the lasted during almost the whole drinking.

The scent is ok, though my drinking buddy got flashbacks of his daughter being seriously ill and vomiting whole day. For me it wasn't that bad (probably because I don't have little children yet...). Quite sour, like red-wine vinegar, but with some hints of sweetness.

The taste is way better than the smell suggests. Smooth, soft, sweet cherries and red fruits, malty, with a well balanced, slightly sweet-sour aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is good too, smooth and soft, with a bit high carbonation.

I will probably not drink it again

2.78/5  rDev -33.2%

One of the beers that was on the menu of the beer tasting that I had with fellow member rvdoorn.

Appearance

Nice deep red colour like a good Bourgondy wine. Very minor lacing.

Smell

The smell almost made me throw away this beer, thinking it was rotten. The smell of wine gone bad, vinegar and my daughter's vomit.

Taste

RvDoorn had to convince me to taste this beer after this horrible smell. So, huge contrast to the smell. Tastes like a Kriek beer to me but also a good bodied wine. Red fruits, cherry, strawberry. At a certain point closed my nose to keep drinking.

Mouthfeel

Carbonation was high for my standards. The aftertaste balances between sweet and sour. A little bitter

Drinkability

Well, I will not try this beer again. Too bad, as I really liked the taste. The smell spoils it all.

3.74/5  rDev -10.1%

A - Very pretty deep red almost amber color. Head was fleeting and didn't leave much lacing. I have to say my girlfriend washed these glasses with dishsoap recently, so I'm sure I didn't get the best view.

S - The smell is a little bit overpowering for my nose. It's a strong fermented fruit smell, but goes a little far. Almost a rotting smell. Bottle marked best before 18-3-11, I was told this was the intended smell.

T - Initial taste is all berries. Strong cherry flavor on the tip of my tongue. Which fades as it goes down. Just as you think the taste is over sour notes on the back of the tongue and a dry, slightly bitter aftertaste. Definitely complex. Makes you take another sip to ride again

M - The carbonation, a little more than average tickles the tongue on the sweet notes and intensifies the dry finish on the sour notes.

D- Drinkable, but I wouldn't say sessionable. A beer you want to enjoy by the bottle, not by the case.

The smell initially turned me off to this beer. Offensive to my nose, but very deliberate. Maybe you'll like it better. The taste was a ride. I'd definitely have it again if offered, but likely will not buy it in bottles again.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a rich auburn color. Light tan head crackles as it is poured but dissipated quickly. Ring remains surrounding the top but little lacing is left.

Dark fruit dominates the aroma. Tart cherries and currants. Soft sour smell complimented by a slight whiff of oakiness.

Flavor is incredible sweet fruit flavors mesh incredibly well with a strong tart taste. Excellent balance between the malty flavors with the somewhat sour fruitiness.

Mouth feel is incredibly smooth and crisp. Very dry.

Ridiculously drinkable. Excellent beer. Tremendously enjoyable to drink and goes down all too easy.

4.37/5  rDev +5%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: Garnet brown in appearance with a light tan head that held strong and left a good bit of lacing.

S: Sour berries and stone fruit with burnt sugar and butterscotch.

T: This brew joins tart and sweet flawlessly. A sweet rush comes initially, followed by a tart twang that left me yearning for another sip.

M: A bit too much carbonation with a medium mouth feel.

D: Very drinkable, indeed.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured into a tulip glass a dark red copper colour with a couple of centimetres of slightly off white head that slowly falls away leaving a bit of lacing.
S - Tart cherries quickly followed by some oak character with a touch of malt vinegar.
T - Initially dominated by cherry flavour with some sour tartness but then balanced by some dark fruit & caramel sweetness.
M - Medium bodied with a medium to high carbonation. Slightly sticky feel with a long lingering cherry after taste.
D - A very intereting beer I'd indeed drink again. A great beer for wine nerds who say beer isn't complex...

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

A= a beautiful three finger head rises out of this baby with some pretty good retention and lacing on it. A nice deep amber color comes from this beer.
S= loads of vinegar and hints of citrus lemon. Maybe a slight funk to it as well.
T= really well rounded sour taste. Not sour at all actually. More tart. The nose led me in the wrong direction. Almost has an over ripe cherry taste to it however. There is a slight vinegar taste in the front but not much more. Almost reminds me of sour tarts only not nearly as sour.
M= dry as a bone. Possibly the driest beer I have ever had.
D= pretty good. I was a little let down by this beer. I had high hopes for it but it didn't live up to them. Still a quality brew.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

A: rich red and Brown in color.

S: Champangne like

T: Tart sourness but very smooth.

M: Nice crispy, bubbly with meium body.

D: Very drinkable.I could drink this all night.

Serving type: large corked bottle

My first Flanders Red. Not my last. This is inspiring me to brew my own Flanders. Very different, very wine like in both smaell and taste.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A: The pour is a dark, rich, red color without too much carbonation or head formation.

S: Loads of dark fruit, specifically sour cherries and currants. There is a nice lactic sourness along with a mild vinegar aroma.

T: Almost identical to the nose. A wonderful tart/sourness, but not overpowering. The cherries really come through here as well as a touch of sweet malt.

M: Medium bodied with a high level of carbonation and a crisp, dry finish.

D: I'm still getting used to these sour ales and this is a great one to start on. Nothing overly intense about it, but a nice beer nonetheless.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Ok.. Im starting to get into the sour thing and I have had a few now and thi sis my favorite.

appearance: beutiful red copperish color, looked liek a glass of red wine

smell: sour fruity, grapes and cherries

taste: not extemelely sour enough and slightly swetter than other I have tried. I usally like dryer drinks bu this worked perfectly

mouthfeel: high carbonation and light

drinkability: very easy... I could session this at a nice dinner

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe