Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev -26%

11.2 oz. bottle:

Pours deep mahogany (nice color) with very little head.

The smell is vinuous - dark grape.

The taste is of grape and pomigranite. Slight oak. Wine-like (Manishevitz comes to mind). Sour with a fruity sweetness (subtle hints towards a chocolate, but more in that you would find in some wines). Aftertaste of grape soda lingers. Sweettart. Sweet and sour dominates, but more towards the sweetness. Dry finish.

It has certain unique characters, however, it doesn't stand out as anything above average for the style, IMO. Too much like grape soda for me.

2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

Picked up this bottle with great ancitipation for Chan's now Aloha World of Wines in Pensacola, FL. The bottled looked good and the cork was solid with no dust on the bottle.

I lightly chilled the beer then popped the cork. It poured a reddish brown with a nice head. That's basically where the fun ended.

The smell was vinegarish with some cirtus notes blended in. I'm not a fan of vinegar unless we're talking BBQ sauce.

Anyway, the taste matched the smell to my taste. I let the beer warm and tried some more. No change. I put the bottle in an ice bath and tried it again. Still nothing but disappointment. Bummer.

I guess the mouthfeel was OK, but the taste killed the feel.

I will not drink the beer again. Based on the other reviews that I've read, I guess my bottle was good, but didn't agree with me. Glad everyone else seems to enjoy it.

Cheers.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

A- A very deep red liquid with absolutely no sediment to speak of. a fluffy white head forms and settles to a thin covering. Leaves some great lacing as it works its way down the glass.

S- As I crack the top off, my initial thought was that it smelled like soy sauce. But upon further examination, I realize that I was way off. The beer definitely has a sour quality, some candied fruit, oak, apple, brown sugar, a little vinegar to boot. Pretty sweet smelling and complex.

T- Same as the smell but more sweet. Vinegar, fruit, and wood are the highlights. Complex and yummy. Packs in quite a bit of flavor.

M- Good amount of carbonation. It is very tart and leaves some dryness in the mouth, but the sweetness does a good job of counteracting that a bit.

D- Pretty rich, but very worthwhile. An interesting beer that I am glad that I tried.

Had this last bottle sitting in the fridge for a while, time to review, as the best before date is 24-08-07.

Pours out a deep garnet mahogany when held to the light, intense beige head that retains into infinity.

The nose is a tart vineagrette of sour cherries, plums and raisins, along with a more meaty character as well, like marinated steak tartar.

Sour and tart in all of the right places in the flavour, it mellows out as it warms. A little bit of wood in there as well to help ground the flavour. The malt comes out towards the end, mild toffee.

Mild carbonation makes this Flemish ale more palatable and easier to quaff.

Much more drinkable than I had anticipated, and from previous samples. Have to be in the right mood for it, and expecting what the style has to offer to truly appreciate it. I'm not the biggest fan of this style, but I know a good thing when I taste it.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

750ml bottle purchased for $8.39 on 7-1-7 at Tanasbourne Haggen.

Pours ruby, with a forced 2 inch head which actually sticks around for a bit despite the implied acidity. The aroma initially reminds me of vinegar. There's cherries and other fruits in there too, but I'm mostly getting vinegar. I'm expecting a very sour and funky brew. But the first thing I notice is how sweet it is. I'm disappointed with this discovery until I realize just how clean that sweetness is, and how well balanced it is with the rest of the characteristics of this fine brew. Seems like new flavors expose themselves with every movement of the tongue. This is one of the most complex beers I've tried. I can't pick it apart. I have no idea what it is that's contributing to this dynamic flavor profile. Incredibly balanced, incredibly flavorful, but at the same time, the exceptionally clean finish makes for a highly quaffable brew. This is the sweetest beer that I actually liked. An eye opener.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

750 mL bottle caged and corked.

Very transparent dark brown body leaning towards red body. Consistent carbonation rises. Aroma is being smelled a foot or so away. Light, off-white colored head that slowly fades. A very sour smelling brew with a slight butterscotch accent. Pretty unique.

Not as sour as I would have guessed. Very rich and sweet. Some grape-like fruit, accented by some spices. The buttery aroma is definitely in the taste as well, and hits you near the end after the rush of carbonation and lingers into the aftertaste. Grainy flavor lurks in the background throughout. Mega-complex and delicious.

Medium bodied, almost syrupy. But that could be because of the sweetness. Highly carbonated. Very drinkable for being a sourish beer. Other flanders reds and can kind of take their toll on you after a half-glass or so while this one remains exciting.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Pours brownish-red with a small caramel-colored head. Smells slightly fruity - I pick up a cherry scent, similar to a lambic. The cherry flavor comes in strong at first, but it mellows into a nice sweetness and finishes slightly sour. The carbonation is light but refreshing. The sweet and sour taste, along with the carbonation and the noticeable but not overbearing alcohol flavor work together to make this a refreshing, flavorful, very drinkable beer.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

This beer was very exciting to me because it was one of those beers that just tasted different from everything I'd had before. A nice red color (more red than amber) with a curious nose. This beer tastes like candy! Potent sourness, but with more than enough sweetness to round it out. A very interesting beer and an interesting style. Seems like it would make a good dessert beer.

Deep clear ruby and mahogany body. Very low carbonation. Big tan butte head. Good retention and great lace.
Strong scents of both sweet and sour notes, very well balanced. Interesting and complex with cherries and dark malts.
Taste is amazing, perfect balance of sweet and sour, very strong. Cherries, prunes and sour characters all very powerful and delicious. Great aftertaste.
Hydrating mouthfeel that is slightly puckering and mouthwatering.
Great drinkability.

-Oelergud

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

This is my first lambic to try so the overall mouth feel and flavor is new to me. Overall, I enjoyed the beer very much as it is flavorful and balanced.

A: Very dark burgundy red color. One finger initial head that settles to a 3 mm head and light lacing.
S: Smells very fruity and also of alcohol at the same time, but the alcohol does not bother me. The fruit notes are very pleasant and complex. Definitely a similar smell to walking through a fruit market where all the smells blend.
T: The alcohol smell and taste is balanced nicely with the fruity sweet notes so it does not tire to drink. The beer has three or more stages of flavor. At first there is an in-rush of a sweet fruit blend. Then there is a mellower taste that is slightly more dry. Finally, there is a nice semi-bitter alcohol finish that balances out the whole movement.
M: A very smooth medium-thick bodied beer with little carbonation. Feels like eating yogurt to some degree. The only drawback is that it leaves a slight film in your mouth.
D: It is very easy to drink as it is packed with flavor and feels nice in the mouth. You will not get tired drinking it, you just might have to spit from time to time.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

This is my first beer of this style. This is a very fruity beer that has a dry aroma of fermented fruit. This beer was a recommended way of getting into Lambics. This is one of the most complex beers I have had in a while. It is definitely better as it warms through around 45 F. I was surprised by the complex mouthfeel. This is about as drinkable as wine in my opinion.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not very familar with this style since I've ever had one of these on draft. However, I certainly will try as many of this style after having this one. This was really a spectacular beer. I can't say I would've appreciated this several years ago. Very sour aroma - duh! A little bit of vinegar, cherry, raspberry, and oak. Kind of hard to describe as the sour is so predominant. Taste is really huge. Incredible levels of tartness. Nice frothy head and a light ruby color. Great mouthfeel - very lively. I can't wait to pop open one of these at the next neighborhood party and offer this to someone.

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

This brew pours a dark clear ruby red color. The head is massive, and recedes very slowly leaving thick foam all over the glass. The aroma is of tart cherries with a nice refreshing acidity. The taste is more intense than the aroma. It is almost wine like. Cherries are the main element, and are accentuated by the combination of a thorough tartness, and a strong acidity. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. I cannot imagine how the mouthfeel of this beer could be improved in any way. Overall, this is one of the better Flemish Red Ales I have had. It is not as powerful as Panil, but it has more finesse and that counts for a lot.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Given to me as a sample...now I have to buy more. Pours a reddish brown with light pale brown head one finger thick then fades to a nice lacing. Smell is sweet and highly expressive ... it begs to be inhaled. Melon, cherry, apple, oak, alcohol, and oh soo much more. Mouthfeel is smooth with little to no carbonation "pop" on the tongue and a nice dry finish. Taste is excelently rounded and full of flavor. Cherry, raspberry, red wine, slight raw oak note. No bitterness or spice but wonderful array of sweet tartness that tantalizes the tongue. I think I gave some of my first fives.

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Appearance: Dark reddish amber, not far from a dubbel in appearance. The cloudy tan head never lets up.

Smell: An intensely sweet aroma escaped from the bottle as soon as I uncapped it, which was initially a bit off-putting. A bit of swirling reveals sour cherries, molasses and vanilla.

Taste: Cherries again, red apple, grape, vanilla, oak and brown sugar. The taste has a sweet/sour dynamic, leaning a bit toward the sweet.

Mouthfeel: On the lighter side of medium-bodied, this goes down pretty easily, but it becomes a bit syrupy. Gentle but abundant carbonation tingles the tongue.

Not bad for a sweeter Flanders red, but I greatly prefer this style more dry and sour.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Rubyred color with a beautiful, thin lace.

S: Homemade applewine, wild-apples.

T: Apples, cola, aceton(!)

Mouthfeel: Smooth with low carbonation and a fresh/sour aftertaste.

I had this beer in my pantry 6 months before trying it after my initial taste and this time around it was much smoother and more pleasant to drink. A refreshing beer perfect for a late summer-night.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

I poured this beautiful lady into a snifter. It was dark brown with ruby red tints at the edges. The head was a decent 2cm and had some staying power. The head also coated the sides of the glass as I swirled it, nice. The aroma was a little sweet and a little funky. The taste was jaw-dropping! I actually thought "wow" as I tasted it. Funky, slightly sour, some tartness, some fruit, lots going on.It really seemed to blossom in my mouth. It tasted like a sour jolly Rancher and also a little like wine. I drank some Jolly Pumpkin beers a week or so ago and it looks like this is what they were shooting for. I really liked this beer and am starting to learn to appreciate some Belgian beers.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Poured into a chalice/snifter. It was a dark brown with flecks of red. It had a tan, two-finger head that left nice rings of lace.

S - It smelled of sour cherries and malt.

T - It tasted very sour with a little sweet kick. There was a good dosage of malt, too.

M - It was crisp and sharp. It was medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a very good beer. It's the first Flanders Red Ale that I've tried and I really liked it.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

From the 750ml caged cork bottle, attractively packaged with a nice portrait on the bottle. The wife commented on it, so it must be nice. Cork dated best by June 2008. Decants with a pop, into the cervoise, a dark ruby red with heavy carbonation of large bubbles cascading up. Thick, heavy head of tight bubbles, about one finger thick and going nowhere fast. Good, clingy sheet-like lacing. Nose dominated by a definite yet not overwhelming sour-cherry scent. A bit of musty, earthy yeast, and perhaps a hint of alcohol. I was prepared for a sour flavor explosion, but I was greeted instead by a subdued cherry-like tartness tempered by sweet malts, almost candy-like, but not overly sweet. Great sweet-tart cherry flavor; I’m constantly amazed that there is no fruit used in crafting this style. Mild hoppy bitterness on the backside, kind of apple Jolly Rancher finish. Mouth is of medium viscosity with tons of gentle carbonation making things go down smooth. Sticky, short of syrupy, but the sugar’s there nonetheless. Drinkability is quite good, surprisingly; I had no problem downing the bottle, something I never would have considered with Rodenbach’s Grand Cru.

Overall: OK, I’m not a huge fan of Flanders ales or lambics, but this one is understated enough to make me try more of the style. I consumed this sample a full year before the end of the “best by” date on the cork: I wonder what a bit of cellaring would yield. Grab one of these if you have a chance, definitely recommended.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Thanks to stoutsnipas, this one is VERY fresh, expiration date Dec 2008.
I know this does not help, but I initially felt like writing "WOW" and concluding ny review, enough said. But let's try to elaborate.

Brown with multiple reddish overtones, tan head with good retention, and very sticky.
Aroma is acidic, tart, with some oak and sugar notes.
Nice medium body, flavorful, sweetish and malty, then tart and acidic, then sweetish again. Fruity, raspberry, cherries, citric fruits.
Clean finish with a tart and sweetish aftertaste.
Extremely refreshing, a fantastic summer beer.
I need more!

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

11.2oz bottle, best before 21-03-08.

pours a deep dark red, nearly brown, with a small dense tan head. the head drops slowly and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is nice. big funky blast. lemony sourness. bit of malt vinegar. orange.

taste is good. nice light sweetness. bit of lemony sourness. light orange and tangerine. hint of malt vinegar. cracker malt.

mouthfeel is good. low carbonation. medium body and nice dry finish.

drinkability is good. not too acidic or vingary. nicely balanced. alcohol is completely hidden. really interesting and enjoyable beer.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

I had this from the botttle at Het Elfde Gebod in Amsterdam. Poured from the bottle into the proper glassware.

A - This pours a beautiful ruby brown. Small head, htat hung around ok.

Smell - I believe this is the first 5 I have given out. This is amazing. Bursting with aroma. A big sour aroma, followed by this huge sweetness. Amazing balance, amazing smell.

T - Just like the smell, it starts off with this great sour tartness, that is followed by this very nice, big sweetness, and then back to a sourness that lingers on your tounge. This is like a roller coaster for your tastebuds. Absolutely amazing. The taste of this beer doesnt reveal it self all at once, it slowly unfolds bit by bit.

A light mildly carbonated mouthfeel. This may possibly be my favorite beer. Not the most drinkable though. With such an intese flavor it may be hard to drink two of these back to back. But no matter, this is an amzing beer.

3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

Duchesse- Flanders Red Ale

Appearance- Blood red with no head.
Smell- Strong white vinegar with sour cherries.
Taste- Sour cherry and grape with a backbine of malt vinegar.
Mouthfeel- Sour up front with a dry/ sweet malt vinegar finish.

Overall- A beer that went exceptional well with my salty fries.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

On tap at Zeno’s in State College. Ruddy amber with a very small, off-white, foamy head. Vinous, medicinal, sweet smell with alcohol and tawny port-like aromas. Tastes is of sour fruit (most notably cherry) over a light malt backbone. It has a medium body and a slick texture. Flanders aren’t my thing, but going by style this one was pretty damn good! Definitely worth a try.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Best before 29/4/07.. I think I'll live. Pours reddish with brown edges and little head to speak of. Excellent clarity. Balsamic vinegar stands out backed up by sour cherries, sugar, wood, and roasty malts. Taste is upfront fermented cherries with a nice hit of sugar and tartness. Finishes oaky (guessing French Oak because of the name Bourgogne). Tiny bit of butter in the finish with slightly roasted malts. Light bodied and fantastically carbonated. I was afraid it would get too sweet but it's holding up nicely. Would love to try this fresh. IS THIS A FLANDERS RED???

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe