Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at The Map Room in Chicago.

Appearance - Served in a tulip glass, this one is a deep red brown in color with a faint orange tint to the back. Very murky as it is difficult for light to filter through. Very pretty head that came up rather quickly and almost topped over the edge. Head still remained half an inch thick after settling for awhile. Gigantic clumps of lace decorate the top all the way down.

Smell - Sour and pungent cherry. Somewhat of a vinegar smell to give it a nice subtle funk.

Taste - This tastes somewhat like a lambic, but more bitter. Wonderful blend of sour and tangy cherry, that only turns more bitter on the swallow. Has a very smooth feel at first, but becomes very alive and bites at your tounge. Leaves with a dry bitter coating of the tounge.

Drinkability - Have had this out of the bottle before. The first time was in my beer infancy, and didn't know what to expect. Trying this again was a real rebirth for this one. So much better than I ever remember it being. Great sipper to enjoy and fall into.

2.96/5  rDev -28.8%

A - Very nice foam presence, a copper-ish brown color

S - Vinegar and diacytel with hits of prune

T - Sweet vinegar and prune tastes

I'm not sure if I got a good bottle of this one, will have to try again, but it's expensive. It was from a 750ml bottle.

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a dark rusty reddish color with a thick foamy head. Smells of tart cherries, apples, and fermented grapes. First sip is mellow with sours notes that are subdued and quiet, not "In your face." Cherries, green apples, raisins, maybe a tad of brown sugar, all combining in flavor. Creamy mouthfeel, but slightly under carbonated. Considerably more sweeter than sour, the brew finishes well with a little stronger bitterness. Very Good.

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

A- semi clear amber to copper color body with a finger of foamy off white, lacy head.

S- earthy with a slightly sourness to it. cherries, grapes, and apples

T- very sweet with a puckering sourness at the end. lots of champagne like similarities. i get alot of apples in it.

M- very smooth and creamy.

D- easy to drink and interesting enough to want a few more sips than the 11.2oz bottle had to offer. i dont think id want another whole one, or a 750ml but i can see myself coming back to this one at a later date.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Before holding to the light, you'd think this beer was a deep brown, with only a slight reddish tint. When held to the light, you see the rich complexity of color, not quite red but not quite brown. Head was a bit disappointing (probably due to the non-tulip glass), but the off-white color is a wonderful complement to the reddish-brown brew. A bit of a stretch, but the two colors together call to mind an image of an old mahogany wooden building in Europe.

S - The first smell is a very distinct tart cherry smell. I also smell raisins, brown sugar, caramel, amaretto liqueur, and a slight maple syrup aroma. The sweetness of the brew is quite evident - I'm interested to see how the tart cherry aroma will mingle with the expected sweet taste.

T - I definitely caught balsamic vinegar here, though it wasn't quite there on the nose for me. Cherries and amaretto are the major players, and these linger for a few extra seconds after swallowing. Certainly very sweet (a bit cloyingly so for me, but that's merely personal preference). I don't taste any chocolate notes, but I wish I had some Belgian chocolate to accompany this brew!

M - The very first thing that struck me about this beer was the carbonation. You know that feeling when you hold a sip of sparkling wine in your mouth, where you can feel the liquid pressing slightly on the roof of your mouth? I found that to be the case here. This is a slightly rudimentary theory, but I think that this phenomenon extends the beer's finish, because the tongue's flavor receptors are given a short break while the beer moves slightly upward in the mouth.

D - A wonderful, unique, exciting beer, but not one that I could drink all night. Grab a few to taste with friends, but make sure to grab some chocolate or even some creamy blue cheese to complement this remarkable brew! You'll love it!

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

poured from a 330ml with an exp. date of 03/2009 into a tulip.

a. pours a brilliant ruddy brown, glowing a slightly murky crimson when held to a light. Formed a fairly formidable two-finger head of a light brown oaky color. Lacing is strong, almost chunky, and beautifully drags down with the ale.

s. I got very strong notes of well-aged balsamic vinegar, dark cherries, light molasses, and burnt raisins. Hints of currants and cane sugar bring up the sweetness on the nose, while hints of wine corks, cognac, and amaretto. Very pleasant on the whole, definitely heavy on teh sweetness.

t. Vinegars and balsamic sourness up front, with cherries, maple, and toffee coming through in the middle. There's a pleasant balsamic/sour pie cherry sweetness that finishes beautifully. There are some traces of yeastiness throughout, and a bit of walnut skin astringent-bitterness to balance nicely.

m. Amazing mouthfeel, thick and fairly strong but not syrupy or chewy. Carbonation and sweetness combined in an almost blissful orchestration to perfectly accentuate the sour notes that linger on the tongue. Bitterness and alcohol tastes are practically non-existent.

d. Excellent and dynamic. The spectrum of flavor profiles in this one is strong - not as wide as some, but more drinkable than some - and is definitely a good access point to the style. It's great for sipping, although I subconsciously was so enamored with it this time around that i ended up finishing it faster than I realized. I could drink a few glasses at a time, especially given how well it pairs with foods.

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle the ber showed a very dark red, opaque in the middle but translucent blood red on the edges. White head that had excellent retention and left a beautiful lacing on the glass.

Smell was a little bit less sour than on tap, the balsamic smell stood out more from the bottle.

Taste from the bottle was exactly as it was on draft, sour cherries, candy, with a smooth balsamic finish. I enjoyed this was a beef roast and it was excellent.

Very light carbonation but worked as an absolutely wonderful drink to go with dinner. Very clean drinking beer.

I still could not drink more than one glass of this in a sitting unless I was eating a large meal with it and needed more than one glass to accompany my meal.

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%

pours a mahogany color with a big, frothy, ivory head. great lacing. the nose is sourness, oak, alcohol spice. Wow! the taste! great sour tartness! oak characteristics, alcohol, sour raspberries. medium bodied, high frizzy carbo, sour candy finish. A great sour ale!

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

25.4oz bottle best before June 09. Drank this with dinner and after last night

A: Pours a deep crimson with a soft one-finger light brown head.

S: A blend of vinegar and oaky sweetness, this one is simple but still delicious. I don't care much for the sweeter Flanders Reds but this is one that impressed me

T: Starts off mildly sour and vinegary before a pleasing sweetness takes over. Finishes with a hint of oak and a little dry

M: Well carbonated, fullish in body, almost like a dessert-wine but solid

D: I enjoyed my bottle and will drink this again and soon

I can't believe that only a few days after reading about this brew here on BA, I found it on tap at La Cav du Vin here in Cleveland. Having moved here a month ago, I was worried about finding good sour flemish ale. Apparently there is no need to worry, as the Cleveland beer scene, whether it's good bars or good brewpubs, is alive and VERY well. I used to live in Providence (Union Station, Trinity), so I've got something decent to compare to if you include Boston (Sunset, Beer Works) and New England (Moat Mountain, Vermont Pub & Brewery, The Alchemist) in general.
OK, so I at least think I know what I'm talking about...

I definitely smelled balsamic vinegar, but not overpowering at all. Just a hint of that dark, sweet acid.
Very little foam, unsurprisingly for a sour.
Smooth mouth feel, with a nice subtle tingle of carbonation.
Taste of balsamic, caramel, cherries.
Lightly sweet, perfectly balancing the sourness.

Wow.

I would say this is a great intro to sours, but the imbiber may be spoiled. Truly sour reds might shock them after this.

Fortunately, I also discovered this in a four-pack at Warehouse Beverage on Mayfield Road. Sixteen bucks will make me wait until my next (first!!) paycheck.

Peace.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Nice mahogony color with a creamy off white head. Nice lacing. Smell of sour cherries domminates. As it warms the smell gets richer and fuller as the oak flavors kick in and it slips almost into wine territory. Taste is just so full and rich, tons of sour fruit backed by oak. You should definately not drink this one too cold. Creamy medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall I rate this one in the excellent category, not quite world class but close. You just don't want this one to end.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer poured a very nice reddish brown with an excellent white head. The smell was of yeast and tart cherries. The taste was sweet and tart. Full of red berries in the flavor. Sour cherries was the dominant flavor of this beer. Mouthfeel was good. Drinkability was also very nice. Overall this was a very nice beer. I enjoyed this beer a great deal because of the flavors.

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance - A bit murky for the style. lots of brown puddles with amber waves flowing throughout. good two finger head with nice lacing.

Smell - Musty, Earthy, some vinegar funk, with a touch of candy.

Taste - Its a very subtle oud bruin by comparison to others. If your in the mood for subdued pucker then this is a good selection.

Mouthfeel - Good amount of carbonation helped this one from being mediocre in the mouthfeel department. With the brew being such a murky mix itself, the carbonation really saves it.

Drinkability - Easy drinking for the style but not the easiest style for all to drink. Its my favorite style so I'm a bit biased. I'll give it a 4.0 to be fair.

The 750ml only set me back about $8.00 in a local store so its a good oud bruin at a fair price.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark red mahogany with a substantial head that dissipates slowly leaving trails of lace behind.

Sweet and sour cherry nose.

Crisp, yet smooth, refreshing and complex. These Flanders Red Ales are such a joy on warm days.

Very drinkable and enjoyable, just a notch behind Rodenbach.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Review #200. Thanks to Goliath for the amazing hookup of this brew. Poured into a tulip and I am amped.

A: Pours a very dark red, almost brown. Once I hold the tulip up to the light, there is not doubt that this lady is red. A beautiful dark, murky red. The head was slightly off white, and I got a little over two fingers on the pour. The head receeded slowly down to a white ring that is very thick and lasting. The lacing is sticky and soapy. Spotty lacing designs casually laze about the glass. Just damned beautiful.

S: The scent of this baby is very nice. Cranberries, strawberries, and raspberries. Berries everywhere. Grapes?! This smells a bit like a merlot when you swirl the glass. Just an interesting combo. As this puppy slowly warms, you get the scent of some thick caramel. Sweet and sour overall for the aroma profile.

T: So damned tasty. This beer gets better as it airs out and warms up. Initially just some sour cranberry flavors kept me entertained. As it slowly warms, more and more sour fruit come out. Strawberries show their face along with some raspberry. There is also some plum in there. All of the fruitiness is sour, but perfectly sour. Nothing too crazy, just perfect on the way down. There is a slight hint of vinegar but nothing overwhelming. As it warms even more, caramel and a bit of breadiness comes in to round out the flavors. This brew is amazing.

M: Medium in body. This beer has a very sour and tart feel. It really challenges the taste buds. It lingers all around the mouth and really lets you enjoy everything it has to offer. There is absolutely zero hint of ABV. This brew really coats the mouth witha thick, almost syrupy texture. The amazing thing about this brew is just how long it lingers. Just perfect in feel.

D: This beer is amazing. I want more and I find myself nursing this because I don't want it to end. I could easily drink this in a couple gulps but that would be a waste. The Smell, Taste and Feel are all great. This brew is great. If I ever run across some, I will buy at least half a case. This brew is so dynamic. Loving it.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reddish brown body with a tan head and many strands of carbonation bubbles. About a finger of tan head that doesn't boast a lot of retention, but does leave a little bit of lacing.

Smells like grapes. Sour bordering on vinegar aromas.

Taste is great. Very balanced, very mild. Some like, tart fruitiness up front that reminds me of sweet cherries and grapes. Some sourness follows up but doesn't overpower. Hints of oak are noticeable throughout, especially in the finish.

Mouthfeel is very light and thin. Not too mouth-puckering, but just a little sour.

I could drink this beer all night. I'd even consider shelling out a lot of cash for a case of this stuff.

4.37/5  rDev +5%

A: red with thin white head that holds with good lacing.

S: Oaky and deep with caramel notes and a fruitiness. Smoky Vanilla from the oak and butterscotch as well.

T/M: Nice creamy mouthfeel with carb level. Taste is malty and caramely up front giving weight to raspberry fruitiness and acidic funk, with the vanilla smoky oakyness coming through on finish alongwith a maple sugar sweetness.

Ovr: Very nice red ale.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

A - dark, murky amber/red color with only a slight head.

S - slightly fruity - like a bit of cherry/raspberry/strawberry - and slightly sour with a hint of lovely funk.

T/M/D - wow, is this something special! The cherry/raspberry/strawberry flavor is there, but it not in a overly sweet or syrupy way at all - more sour, but not aggressively so. The beer also has a texture - it feels and tastes thick and creamy but not heavy. Amazing! I've had this on tap once before buying a bottle, and the bottled version tastes exactly the same! Outstanding stuff.

i bought a case of Duchesse De Bourgogne bottles in emmaus pa, at shangys. i love Flemish red ale and this is the perfect example of Flemish red. its refreshing and tastes great. its not the strongest of beers but the taste makes up for that. there is nothing to complain about with this beer. its distributed well in America and is not too hard to find. if anyone sees this beer and is curious as to what a good red ale tastes like, try it!

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

This is my first Flemish red, and my god I think I'm in love.
A= Deep Red color, closer to a burgundy.
S= an incredible amount of Fruitiness, but not over power like you get in lambics.
T= I can honestly say that parts of the flavor are completely indescribable to me. I taste the sour notes, but then the fruit comes in and malts follow it and then finally the funk I have heard so much about. It's final I'm a convert.
Mouth feel= Very bubbly but light on the tongue.

Drink ability= When I first really go into beer, it took me awhile to get used to the concept of wanting a bitter beer. It was contrary to my nature, but the sour and funk of this beer has pulled me in almost immediately. A highly drinkable beer, and I'm glad I picked it as my first Flemish.

3.96/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours deer ruby brown color, small off white head lasts a while.

Scent of sweet, sour cherries and some yeast.

Taste of sweet cherries, tart initially with some bready yeast coming in as it warms a bit. Cherry flavor does not let down and yeast balances it nicely.

Moutfheel is very clean, but quite tart and biting.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a nice brownish red with decent white head. Good flemish sour fruit nose, with some oaky scent. Slight oak flavor, strong flemish taste with mild sourness and good dark sour fruit taste. Mouthfeel is nice and crisp with ample carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, but there is a sort of chalky acidity that I am not a big fan of. I notice it in all flemish reds, but particularly strong in this one. A very good example of the style, and one I will revisiit when craving some flem.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Along with the Monk's Sour Ale, this beer was my introduction to Flanders Reds. I was intrigued to go back and try one again.

Pours a moderately opaque brown with just a hint of dark purple. A thin tan head sticks around nicely.

Sour fruits, mostly cherries and maybe some green apple combined with a nice bready yeast.

Taste is delicious, with a bit of fruity sweetness in the front which rolls into a nice sour tang. Cherry sweetness come back in the finish. Excellent, if perhaps a tiny bit too sweet.

Mouthfeel has a modest pucker with nice medium carbonation.

An easy drinker for the style. The extra sweetness makes this more sessionable than most Flanders Reds.

HV

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a gorgeous clear ruby color, big dense sand-colored head fades very slowly, leaves a nice foamy layer on top of the beer, and lots of lacing on the glass. Smell is sour cherries and green apples. Very tart taste, sour like the skin on a green apple, slight vinegar taste. Tight carbonation, but still pretty creamy, especially as it warms. This is my first of the style, and I'm certainly intrigued. Definitely not an everyday drinker, but very tasty, and something I'd have again in a heartbeat.

3.81/5  rDev -8.4%

A - Dark ruby red in color, almost a mahogany brown. One finger foamy off white head. Average retention and good lacing.

S - A strong vinegar aroma with hints of sweet dark fruits. Also a faint aroma of the wood barrels it was aged in.

T - The vinegar taste is not near as strong, but it is still present. Very sweet taste of dark fruits with a bitter finish. Very unique taste.

M/D - Medium bodied and somewhat over carbonated. A very unique style but rather drinkable.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe