2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,645 | Reviews: 1,319 | Show All Ratings:
magictacosinus

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this way too many times already, but I finally took the chance to review it. Poured into a snifter at the Albany Taproom. Review is from my notes.

Pours a reddish brownish color that is slightly hazy, with a bone white 2 fingers worth of head at the top. The head eventually settles down to a less than exciting ring, revealing the ruby tinges that linger at the side of the glass. Lacing is excellent, although I've found that this varies from the bottle, age, as well as on tap. Bubbles are not as present as you'd think, and while it does look slightly murky here, it's a pretty traditional take on the style and remains memorable.

I remember the first time I took a whiff from this thing, I swear I was only getting balsamic vinegar. Well, even if that be the case, I've learned over time to find all kinds of great aromas in this thing. At first there's the barnyard, slightly funky, vinegar flavor, which soon melds into soured cherries, raisins, plums, and a bright grainy nuttiness. Wood is not as present as one would expect. However, it makes up for it. As soon as the funk carries on, this is replaced by a refined malt profile that mixes well with the grassy hoppy texture, often resembling a yeasty bready flavor of sorts. Absolutely refreshing to whiff on this thing - it makes an ideal compromise between the funk and grainy, earthy texture at the finish.

The aroma is actually not puckery at all, although it does continue the aforementioned compromise in an excellent way. At first there's the blast of vinegar, as well as soured, tannic characteristics from the oak. They eventually meld into the classic sour cherry flavor, combined with tart raspberries, raisins, walnuts, leafy dry phenols, and bright earthy notes that linger in the finish. The initial fruity flavors fall back on (once again) the malt brownish profile, which is very refined from the blending made in the wood, as well as from the spontaneous fermenting process. It adds texture to the beer rather than allow it assault the palate with excessive sourness. The aftertaste is definitely astringent, in a very unpasteurized, lactic acidic manner, but the malts and slight citrus from the hops hold together the fort quite well. Delicious.

Really a classic in the realm of Flanders reds, and perhaps sour beers in general. This was the very first sour I had years ago in my initial craft findings, and I remember not minding the astringency as the fruitiness and bready, yeasty texture were both so predominant in the flavor overall. It's not as complex as other beers in its realm, but it terms of widespread availability and accessibility, it's definitely made its mark. This is a great one to use to introduce people to soured beers - tart, fruity, slightly nutty, and very refreshing.

06-07-2013 15:51:38 | More by magictacosinus
ckollias

Maryland

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a Beligan Tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark amber almost brown hue with an off-white, 2-finger, frothy head that quickly dissipates leaving a good trail and solid lace.

S: Sour fruity aroma.

T: Extremely sour brew with a dark fruits and vinegar background that finishes on the dry side.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Yummy – sour brew – love it!

06-02-2013 02:32:31 | More by ckollias
bnes09

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

Deep bronze color and ruby when held to light. A few floating yeast flakes. Weakish head on the pour recedes quickly to a foamy corona aroma the rim of the glass. Leaves a few lace spots.

Soft, sweet and juicy dark fruit aroma.

Sweetish fruits: dates, prunes and raisins. No hop bitterness detected. Sharp vinegar tartness in the middle. Brown sugar sweetness lingers in the aftertaste. Mild spices and hint of toasty character. Well balanced. Finishes with a juicy overripe fruit character.

Medium bodied and highly carbonated. Finish is dry and texture is slick then sticky.

Pretty good. I'm growing accustomed to the style. I appreciate the complexity and wealth of flavors.

05-28-2013 02:08:13 | More by bnes09
KevT

3.61/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I am just starting to experiment with sours, so my frame of reference for this style is not as big as with other styles. The beer has a dark, brick-red color with a wispy head. Nose was vinegary although not unpleasant. Taste not as sour as the nose would make you think it would be and it finished with cherries and a little caramel sweetness.

05-27-2013 17:57:25 | More by KevT
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.73/5  rDev +14%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Today is special. Well, sort of. This is beer #200 for us! We have drank a lot of beers over the last two years, but this is a milestone I am excited about. I am also excited about a beer trade we got in the mail today thanks to Andy Crow, a craft beer lover from Iowa. He sent a ton of bottles we haven't had before, including a bottle of KBS from Founders. Thanks for the trade, Andy!

This beer sits on the shelf at Total Wine, but no one ever buys it. I was excited to see this bottle appear in a recent beer class at Total Wine, and was BLOWN away with the flavor. I remember nothing but sour flavors; lip sucking sour flavors in this bottle. You know me and sours. Also, I love the label. The duchess looks so proper sitting there. OK, let's drink. I can't wait!!!

In the Glass: The beer pours reddish-brown; almost looks like a brown ale to be honest. It leaves a nice thin tan head on top that just sits there. Not thick, but according to the label, you are to drink this beer cold. The beer also leaves a nice thin lace.

Nose: This beer even smells sour. Actually, to be honest, the beer stinks. It is so sour that it smells gross! But that is what a Flanders red is supposed to smell like. This is also a smaller bottle, so there isn't much in my glass. I wish they sold thees in bombers. Especially with such a low ABV. A second whiff leaves me those same sour fruity notes I was getting as I poured the beer. Let's drink!

Flavor: Oh. My. GOD! That isn't beer… that is heaven in a glass. Holy crap, that is good. I mean, GREAT. It starts almost mellow and boring, then the sour flavors hit and you are stuck sucking your lips for five minutes. Then, as the beer sits on the palate, it settles to a sweet drying finish. I just looked at the brewery on Google Maps. This place is TINY. The next time we are in Belgium I want to visit the brewery and see them making this stuff in person. I do have another week of vacation this year… maybe I will go to Belgium and get lost bouncing from brewery to brewery! This is a GREAT beer if you like sours.

Mouthfeel: The front of my palate is bored to tears, but the back of my tongue is dancing with flavor. The beer is not thick, but has a nice fluffy mouthfeel. One thing I find enjoyable with sour beers are their tendency to lose that powerful sour flavor as you drink. Not sure if my palate is getting used to the flavor or what, but it allows me to enjoy a sour beer with several different flavors throughout the course of a bottle. Like I said, I just wish the bottle was bigger!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is great on this bottle. The sour flavor is there for a few swallows, but then a sweetness begins to set in and it becomes dry. With such a low ABV you could drink a ton of this stuff and never know you were drinking beer. I bet this, room temperature, would be amazing. Or, I just thought of this, with a splash of soda water. Make it a Sunday afternoon spritzer by the pool. Yummy!

I knew I was going to like this… and I like it more now than I did when I tried it in the beer class. Bravo to Brouwerij Verhaeghe. This is the only bottle from them on our list… I wonder what other beers they produce. Has anyone tried anything else from them? Oh well, this one is good enough for me to buy over and over again!!! Cheers.

05-09-2013 20:56:41 | More by rickyleepotts
Darkmagus82

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a chestnut color with some ruby highlights seen shinning throughout. Upon pouring there is a small white head that fades relatively quickly leaving only a trace of lace.

Smell- The aroma is of dark fruit and sourness. The dark fruits are mainly of a cherry aroma, but have hints of raisin and prune mixed within. Along with these sweeter smells comes a good dose of a sour and tart aroma of a mix of apple cider vinegar mixed with some sour lemon.

Taste – The flavor of the brew is a nice blending of sweet and sour/tart. Upfront there is a good showing of a sweeter cherry flavor mixed with some lighter notes of sour grapes. As the flavor advances the sweetness fades slightly while the sour grape flavor grows stronger. Some hints of a yeasty taste begin coming to the tongue as well as a more sour and tart vinegar taste. In the end a rather balanced sweet and sour fruited vinegar flavor is left to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- The body of the brew is on the thinner side with a carbonation level that is rather average to slightly below average. The thinner body and moderate carbonation are fantastic for keeping the brew on the more drinkable side, but while still providing enough body to support the sour and sweet flavors of the brew.

Overall – A very nice sour that is extremely drinkable and very tasty. One of the most balanced and enjoyable sours I have ever had.

05-09-2013 00:41:56 | More by Darkmagus82
mscudder

Georgia

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served in a chalice. Best by 2014-09-06

A - Light brown hue with a two-finger ivory head. Good head retention with fair lacing.

S - Smells like a lively sour! Cherry, wild yeast and vinegar.

T - Tart, sweet and a little sour. Cherry holds he spotlight and curves out nicely as it warms.

M - Smooth medium body on the tongue with noticeable carbonation.

O - An enjoyable beer that exceeded my expectations.

05-07-2013 01:41:25 | More by mscudder
wedge

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

It's been too long.

Beautiful chestnut colored body with a small, creamy pillow of a head that quickly reduces to a plush, bubbly ring. Oaky balsamic sharpness first hits the nose along with sour cherry, berries, caramel, and dusty red wine. Big, sour, well-rounded flavors like sweet, acidic fruit, tart cherry, wood, light tannins. Dry and puckering. This takes me back. Less vinegary than I remember. Excellent...

05-04-2013 01:55:58 | More by wedge
Axnjxn

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml corked bottled poured into a snifter glass. Cork says expires on 9/2014.

Pours a medium reddish-brown color with a light, bubbly head. Smell is mild for a sour, with sweet grapes being the pronounced scent along with vinegar. the taste is...wow. Quite different. Not at all how it smells. First off, it's not very sour tasting at all. VERY easy to drink. Sweet fruits dominate the palate with a very slight sour aftertaste. I taste cherry and grape mostly, but there are so many flavors here. I really enjoy it. Carbonation is high, as it should be for the style.

Overall this is a very drinkable beer. It's more candy than beer. It's not something you'd drink fast, as the flavors are so complex you want to savor every sip. It is honestly the most "different" beer I've ever tasted. I really enjoyed this one.

05-03-2013 00:00:57 | More by Axnjxn
alex_hart

Oklahoma

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: A deep brownish red in color with a 1/4 finger off white head. Minimal visible carbonation.

Smell: Honestly, pretty strange. I think it is because I am not quite used to the style. Some dark fruits, some sour cherry and prune.

Taste: this is unbelievable. It follows the nose, but in the most perfect way. The tart, dark fruits come to the front and the flavor remains long after you swallow. Absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel: light to medium bodied with light carbonation on the tongue.

Overall: This is absolutely fantastic. I am just getting into the "sours" realm, and this is just delicious.

05-02-2013 04:38:27 | More by alex_hart
jazzyjeff13

United Kingdom (England)

3.99/5  rDev -3.9%

A 330ml bottle with a BB of Jan 2013, so it's a little out of date. Picked up ages ago from Trembling Madness in York. I hope it hasn't aged too badly. Why does the image of the duchess show her with a bird on her hand?

Poured into a Delirium chalice. A deep ruby hue with good clarity and intense carbonation. It doesn't appear to be bottle conditioned. Yields a large head of creamy off-white foam that lasts for a while before reducing to a thick surface layer. Aroma of fruity sweet 'n sour. Notes of balsamic vinegar, raisins, dried fruit, brown sugar, caramel, must/wine, earthiness, a hint of malt and faint yeast. Possesses a rather tart intensity.

Tastes of fruity malt with an acidic quality and a dry finish. Notes of balsamic, wine, raisins, dried fruit, brown sugar, caramel, malt vinegar, faint oak/wood, earthiness and dry yeast. Decidedly sour yet surprisingly sweet - a truly strange combination. There is a background twinge of oxidation; hard to tell if this is intentional or due to the age of the bottle. Astringent and mildly puckering upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth, sour and tingly - the acidity stimulates the tastebuds. Good carbonation and decent body. An aftertaste of tart, fruity vinegar and mild oxidation.

Good stuff; a unique and fascinating flavour blend that no other style can match (though I suppose lambics come close). Simultaneously sweet and sour, the aroma and flavour exhibit fruity notes most reminiscent of balsamic vinegar. It looks nice, and the body is pretty good. While I don't mind Flemish reds, I do find them rather cloying - this is not a brew I would have twice in a row. Having said that, it is a exemplary take on the style. One to add to your must-try list.

04-27-2013 23:51:23 | More by jazzyjeff13
Beelzebeer

Newfoundland (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle, BB Nov 23/2013, served in a tulip

A - Dark brown, with 1" head that sticks around. Nice lacing.

S - Some malt, more sour than anything else. A fruity vinegar.

T - Jackfruit and kiwi off the top, then the sour comes in. Pretty complex for such a seemingly light brew.

M - Beautiful. Kind of chewy, dense. Good medium-high carbonation.

O - Great sour.

04-27-2013 22:54:01 | More by Beelzebeer
constantine_272

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Dark brown with a hint of red. Light tan sticky foam.

S: Sweet raspberry and blackberry candy notes. Carmelized sugar notes. Tart apple.

T: Again sweet raspberry followed by a sweet tart apple flavor. Rich hazelnut flavor is very mild, probably from the barrel aging.

M: Light and crisp. Very smooth. Tons of rich flavor that is balanced out nicely with the tartness.

O: Yum. Such a rich delicious sweet beer. Excellent. Think I liked roedenbach better though; doesn't feel like there were as deep of a flavor.

04-26-2013 03:30:53 | More by constantine_272
PieOhMy

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap. Poured into tulip.

A Dark ruby, near black. Thick tan head that remains

S Pungent! Rhubarb. Fine tones like a rainy day. Aged Cheese even.

T Tart... and tart! Much like the smell. Sour candy. Lime. Grape. Sweetness that lingers.

M Medium and effervescent.

O Awesome. Great rep of the style. The mix of tartyness/sweetness is perfect. I could drink this all day.

04-22-2013 02:49:22 | More by PieOhMy
Titans77

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into an oversized snifter.

A - Very very dark brown with hints of red where the light hits the glass. Half finger of khaki head that sticks around for a bit. Good looking beer.

S - sour cherry and dark fruits. very pungent.

T - big sour dark fruits with a dominant cherry flavor. A great example of Flanders Red style.

M - Puckering sour from start to finish. Mild carbonation and medium bodied. One of my favorite sours so far.

O - I feel that this is slightly better than Rodenbach Grand Cru. A very good entry sour, which is what I am into right now. Good stuff.

04-17-2013 18:50:12 | More by Titans77
JuliusCaesar

New Hampshire

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a deep red with an inch tall white head

S: Aroma of Belgian yeast and fruit

T: Not overly sour but has a good bite to it. Fruit and candy. Sweet but balanced

M: Good carbonation

Overall: This is candy not beer. The Duchesse is one fine lady

04-16-2013 00:51:00 | More by JuliusCaesar
Hoppsbabo

United Kingdom (England)

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark copper, not particularly red. Nice though. Can almost see through it. Small but sustained off-white head comprising bubbles of various sizes.

S: The typical components of a Belgian dark ale with vinegar added.

T: Oh, my. Very complex. It's fairly sweet but balanced with sourness but not as sour as I was expecting. There's strong balsamic vinegar at the forefront then chocolate, cola and some coriander seed. In the aftertaste there's plum tea and a delicate green grape flavour that lingers for a long time afterwards, quite reminiscent of Remy Martin VSOP. Alcohol is completely imperceptible. From the dregs I get a touch of ginger beer.

M: A soft effervescence. Sort of foamy but not saturated with air. Ever so slightly sticky.

O: A quality beer but not something I'd drink often.

04-14-2013 12:08:00 | More by Hoppsbabo
Steamer

Missouri

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip. Deep, dark plum color with a beige head. The aroma is unique, sour fruit but a bit medicinal. Fruity, sweet and tart, cherries, ripe grapes, with a mild sour sting on the end. Medium carbonation and overall mouthfeel, An excellent and well blended sour ale that doesn't overpower.

04-11-2013 03:06:03 | More by Steamer
superspak

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, best before 5/2014. Pours crystal clear dark reddish brown color with a 2 finger fairly dense and fluffy cream colored with with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice dense foamy lacing clings on the glass, with plenty of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of green apple, cherry, raspberry, pear, apple skin, floral, hay, grass, oak, light vinegar, light red wine, funk, and grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of fruity notes; with moderate malt sweetness and good strength. Taste of lightly tart cherry, raspberry, apple, pear, hay, grass, pepper, light vinegar, oak, light red wine, light funk, and grassy earthiness. Slight fruity and earthy tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark and light fruits, hay, grass, floral, light vinegar, light red wine, oak, and grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of fruity and spicy notes; with a moderate malt balance and zero cloying sweetness present after the finish. Medium-high carbonation and medium bodied; with a smooth, crisp, and lightly prickly mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is an excellent Flanders red ale. Very nice complexity and balance of flavors; and very smooth and crisp to sip on. A very enjoyable offering.

04-03-2013 03:55:55 | More by superspak
NODAK

Tennessee

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured a nice ruby red in my Belgian glass at an awesome beer bar...head was pretty nice, about a finger thick. Decent staying power and lacing.

Smell has the typical lactic, typical vinegar smell of a sour there, but it isn't overpowering and it is also met with a sweet berry fruit aroma as well in tandem. Very inviting. Soft on the nose.

The taste....ah, really a thing of beauty. In fact, if I were to introduce somebody to sours, this is likely what I'd give them. That is not necessarily because it's a beginner beer persay, but because it has such a wonderful balance to it that some other sours really just don't have. While some sours are like drinking straight vinegar, this has more complexity and balance to it, which makes it an incredibly easy drink. I get a nice sweet fruitiness, perhaps of cherries predominately and maybe a hint of cranberry in there, upfront....along with a lactic tartness that I'd describe as perhaps half as sour as many of the new sours I've had that I think are going out of their way to be as sour as possible. Again, easy going. Never makes me grimace, always whets my palate for the next drink. That mix between the sweet berries/cherries and the lactic tartness is so well done, I really can't say enough.

04-03-2013 02:39:11 | More by NODAK
StJamesGate

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Deep chestnut with creamy beige head that fades to film.
Balsamic, cranberry, wood and dark candy sugar.
Raspberry vinagrette, a speck of chocolate, a vanilla oak hit and berry jam.
Winey finish and tart cherry skin linger.
Medium, chewy, creamy but clean.

Surprisingly sweet, some vinegar and wood but lots of red fruit sugar. Expected Brett or at least some big yeast but there's no funk at all. Oud Bruin more than Flanders Red.

Nice, just not so interesting.

03-30-2013 01:02:03 | More by StJamesGate
FLima

Brazil

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a dark brown ruby color with a thick head with long retention and leaving laces.
Sour aroma with a good hint of red wine, vinegar and wood.
Delicious taste of bubbling red wine with some notes of Belgian yeast, condiments, a hint of earthy hops and raspberries. Mildly dry aftertaste with its residual grape. Very refreshing.
Light body with medium carbonation and tiny bubbles. Alcohol is in complete harmony with the other ingredients, more so than real wine.
Extreme well balanced beer, combining drinkability with flavor. Not too sour, perfect level (unless you dig a lot sour beers). Excellent. I am now curious to try it even more aged. I have the impression will continue to evolve.

03-27-2013 19:19:14 | More by FLima
Falcon91Wolvrn03

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Pours a very dark ruby color, with some brown and purple. Has a very thick head and nice lacing.

Smell –Vinegar, red wine, raspberry, oak, a hint of black cherry, and sugar.

Taste – Sweet yet sour raspberry and grape flavors. A little like Sour Patch Kids. But it also complemented with oak, vinegar, and black cherry. Lots of tastes in this.

Mouthfeel – Starts off sweet, but leaves a sour aftertaste, but not too sour, which is why I really like it. Nicely carbonated.

Drinkability – A very good sour. Goes down very easily, although it is only 6%.

03-25-2013 06:30:34 | More by Falcon91Wolvrn03
eandersen

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%

A - Nice deep ruby with a 2 finger off white head. Dissipates quickly. Leaves some really impressive, thick lacing.

S - Balsamic vinegar upfront followed by deep wine like berry smells; dark raspberry, elderberry. Maybe a little bready malt. Slight oakiness.

T - The deep dark berry tastes come through much more than the nose would suggest. Definitely more ripe cherry than is detectable on the nose. Tartness at the front of the mouth, but not necessarily a balsamic tart, almost more of a lactic acid tart. Very nice sour. Super easy drinking.

M - Very smooth. Carbonation is somewhat less than I expected for the style leading to a slicker mouthfeel than many sours. But I'm totally OK with that.

O - Really excellent sour, will absolutely return to this. I could see this aging exceptionally well.

03-20-2013 03:40:01 | More by eandersen
JokineAugustus

Manitoba (Canada)

I love this beer. It has a pleasant sour fruit smell of Cherries, Cranberry, and Raspberry. Taste is quite similar. Has a slight bready and sour fruit aftertaste that blends well. Look is beautiful bright ruby red in a glass which I absolutely adore. One of my favourites atm.

03-15-2013 00:27:16 | More by JokineAugustus