Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,417 | Hads: 3,763
4.29/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a brilliant amber with a frothy beige head. Tart cherry and acetic acid open the aroma, with toasted oak and vinous qualities adding complexity. Flavor is very acetic, with toasted barrel drying out the finish. Tart cherries and balsamic vinegar are evident. Puckeringly sour, with cherry lingering in the finish. Slightly spicy, phenolic aftertaste. (356 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Though it's a great bargain at $13 a bottle, Duchesse ran into the same issue as many craft beers. Despite being one of my favorites not five years ago, the last few years have been much sweeter and has lost that perfect balance of sweet and sour. Get back to your roots Duchesse, we miss you already! (301 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

$ 12.99/25.4 oz bottle at Vintage Estates in Boardman, OH
Bottle expires 03/2016 at 45 degrees into a snifter
Aroma of cherries and a little acetic acid
Head small (2 cm), light brown, fizzy, rapidly diminishing to 3 mm ring and broken layer
Lacing good – wide ring of small bubbles
Body very dark red-amber, clear
Flavor begins sour, with some cherry and vanillin from the barrel coming through – a hint of tannin is also present. No hops, no alcohol, no malt, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

An excellent sour – very typical of the style. The sourness gives a refreshing tang. (607 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Single 12 oz bottle poured into tulip.

Beer pours a murky reddish brown color, looks more brown than red. Out of control foamy light tan head, my bottle was agitated a little bit but this beer was extremely hard to pour without going overboard on the head. Retention is decent, some spotty lacing going on in my tulip.

Immediately upon cracking the bottle open I got a really loud psssst and air pressure gushed out a little bit of moisture onto my fingertips. Took a whiff of my hand and it smelled really nice and bready, reminded me of sourdough bread. On the nose its got the belgian yeast dominates most of it just like you would expect, but there are some minor sweet and tangy notes. Not picking up on very much oak.

Flavor wise the first thing I pick up is a tangy, tart, sour flavor then it finishes rather dry and crisp. Reminds me alot of a lambic, but it doesn't have the fruity notes. I would have expected way more yeasty flavors but the tart sourness dominates this beer. The finish is really interesting because your flavor pallet is wiped clean and theres no sour left. I was really expecting some oaked/woody flavors but they are so minor they aren't even worth mentioning.

Mouthfeel sensation is very interesting it starts out very intensely tart / sour, then finishes on the mild side. Its not like a lambic that you can taste inbetween sips, this beer shocks you with the sour punch then finishes dry and clean, beckoning you to drink another sip each time.

This was one of those beers that I always eyed when I saw it, but not being a huge fan of overly yeasty belgians I always stayed away. Figured I'd give this a shot after looking into it and finding out that it was a sour. Its definitely one of those beers to 'experience' pretty unique combination of stuff going on. If you like lambics / sours its definitely for you, if not, you will probably not enjoy this. (1,894 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +19.9%

Tart and complex, loads of fruit and phenol, some elegant vinegar and tasty soil. If you like your sour more than unidimensional which seems to be the trend, this is the beer. Deep brown with tartness that can still come off a little sweet. Flavors are melded but all play the same part in a rich symphony. (306 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

I hate to do this to a beer that is considered Outstanding, but this just don't do it for me.

Sampled only. Not my style. Very acidic and sour and sharp, with way too much Brett. This might be an acquired taste.

If you like dry wines, this will probably hit the spot. I will retry after a year or so. (308 characters)

I'm a foodie, I'm a beer lover and I'm a Wine Lover! I feel this proper sour hits all three hobbies in one glass... Vinegary, salty and sweet. Sooo Good! Most definitely recommended and I will do my best to keep in my fridge for those cultured pallets.

Wow (259 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Big cherry flavor. Very strong vinegar aroma, and the taste is strong following that smell. The taste of salad dressing or balsamic vinegar is big. A very big sweet and sour beer. I don't get much barrel aging in this.

This is a clean and powerful tasting sour, and one of the best you can get everyday. (304 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Oh man, I cannot believe some of the more recent reviews. Maybe the quality has started to diminish in the recent months and I am finding the last of their good stock. Somewhat doubtful, however.

A: A dark reddish brown color, somewhat like mahogany. Small to medium head on average, usually resting at a small head that doesn't always dissipate.
S: Strong vinegar smell that leaves a lasting impression on a night that involves various styles.
T: Solid throughout. Starts out with a carbonated and slightly sweet flavor, finishing out with a strong vinegar/sour note. In terms of sourness, I'd place it between a Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale and a Cuvée des Jacobins Rouge.
M: Light carbonation upfront, enough to be refreshing on a hot day.
O: One of my favorite brews. In North Texas, price ranges between $3-5/bottle, and I'd say it's well worth the cost. On the few occasions I have been able to find the larger bottles (shaped like the apollinaris, volume like a bomber) I snatch up as many bottles as I can carry. Worth the money every time. (1,050 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours dark red, almost brown with short, but persistent tan head. Smell is complex and satisfying. Sour cherries, fig, molasses, and a Red wine vinegar tartness. Taste (after you get over the initial sweetness) is sour cherries, some wood, and maybe apple. Mouthfeel is a nice carbonation and a good pretty dry finish. Overall I like it, it's obviously a quality brew and easy to drink, but it's not my favorite Flanders, wish it was a tad more on the sour side. (462 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

11.2 oz single from CM - Best before 7-22-2015.

A - Pours a dark amber/brown with a one finger head that moves quickly to a thin lace.

S - Dark fruit, bread, pear, cider, mild vinegar

T - A consistent medium sour candy flavor, dark fruit, green apple.

M - Medium to high carbonation. Really sizzles in the mouth. Moderately dry finish. Becomes less sharp as it warms.

O - Will continue to explore the land of the unknown sours. This one is pretty solid. The smell and the taste are the highlights. (503 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

11.2 oz bottle into a Dogfish tulip.

A: Pours a murky dark reddish brown with a very short lightish brown head and bubbly carbonation on the pour, nice splotchy lacing clings to the glass.

S: Definitely a vinegar scent to it but balanced by some fruitiness as well, some apple, cherry and sweet tones, a bit of peppery spice as well.

T: Green apple, berry a bit of vinegar and a distinct sour tartness to finish. There is a nice balance with sweetness that makes this very drinkable and begs for another sip. I get a bit of the oak in the finish. The amount of berry flavor I get surprises me, very well rounded.

M: Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation and a tart finish that sticks around a bit. A well balanced sour.

O: First time with this classic sour and I'm glad I finally picked one up. Sours are growing on me and I can't say I mind that! (861 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

750 mL green bottle into my Rodenbach Grand Cru glass. This is the first time I have had a full glass of this beer, so I'm interested to see how it compares to other great Flanders Reds, like the Bruery's Oude Tart and, of course, Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Appearance (4/5): The Duchesse pours a dark red-brown with a rocky, slightly choppy tan/light brown head. Lots of soapy lacing on the sides of the glass when I tilt it. Beautiful color; wish there was more head to top it off, but that's nitpicking a little too much.

Smell (4.5/5): VERY DISTINCT: The Duchesse has a pronounced balsamic vinegar smell to it that is unlike other sours I've smelled. Black pepper, blackberry, black cherries, pomegranate are prominent notes, too. Very interesting and unusual.

Taste (4.5/5): Very fruity: blackberry and pomegranate in the front, the beer resolves into a slightly vinegary, mildly sour finish. Sweet to start, but the beer dries out nicely and regains some of its tartness in the finish. Not noticing much of the balsamic character that I picked up in the nose in the taste. That’s fine with me, though!

Mouthfeel (3.75/5): Duchesse de Bourgogne is slicker and smoother than most sours (this due to a medium carbonation level). While it doesn't necessarily make the beer LESS drinkable, a higher carbonation level would really give this beer a boost. Could this be due to a bottle that's been sitting around a while? Maybe. But I'm reviewing the beer I have in my hand. Next time I pick this beer up maybe it'll be different.

Overall (4.25/5): Duchesse is a very good Belgian sour that gets a lot right: it has a great balance of tart and sweet, an excellent nose, and looks very nice in the glass. I do wish it featured better carbonation for sure, but that doesn't detract too much from the beer's overall quality. Very good, and I concur with others on BA that this is a good introductory sour. (1,907 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a dark reddish-brown with a two finger beige head.

S - Tart cherries, plums, and balsamic vinegar.

T - Flavor follows the aroma with balsamic vinegar fading into tart cherries and green apples. Finsih has a nice malt backbone with some oak.

M - Light bodied with high carbonation. Very crisp and palate cleansing.

O - This is a great Flanders. Sweet, sour, and very well balanced. The perfect beginner sour. (422 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

A-deep reddy brown. Pours with a large off-white to tan head.

S-citrusy and bread-sweetness

T-tart, acidic, dark fruit sweetness

M-ebullient

O-yay. Very good. More complex than Rodenbach Classic with a good wallop of tartness to keep sour fans happy. (254 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Medium brown, beige head, sparse lacing.

Raisin, nuts, light funk, vanilla.

Taste is very sweet, nuts, lots of oak and sweet unripe grapes are at the front, the lightest pinch of sour going on. The sweetness overpowers.

Light spritzy mouthfeel.

A good starter belgian. A bit too sweet for my taste. (302 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Original review: This is not my style of beer, to be certain. However, I did find myself enjoying it. My ratings will tend lower here, but for a style that doesn't hit me right, I would be happy to have one of these in the future.

Re-review:
Have become more appreciative of sours, so gave this a re-try. It was kind of a sweet-n-sour beer. Definitely increasing my review, but not as sour as I'd like.

A: dark ruby-brown, creamy edge lacing
S: sour cherry or maybe grape, a little semi-dry wine perhaps. Definitely a sour yeasty, maybe Brett-like backnote that just indicates sour notes.
T: much like the nose, tart cherries, wine notes (not very "beer-like" to my narrow definition), yet with a maltiness that replaces the yeasty mustiness of the smell. There are also some white raisin tastes, on the sweet side.
M: not much there except a little pucker from the tartness
O: mostly mentioned above, but this seems like a soured up barleywine, or a tart semi-dry wine. (972 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Smells vingary at first. Great follow. Kombychka like. Awesome beer. If I could brew beers at hone I would give thus shit a shot. You need a deserni g palate for this shiz. Give it a whirl. Trying yo make a 250 word review and all I can say is "You gotta Try this shiz" not annormal beer. (288 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A- steady lacing with a dark cherry body. The head quickly falls to a half centimeter eggshell.

S- acidic with notes of cider, sour cherries, plums, and red wine. It's bittersweet.

T- much like the smell, but with a slight punch of granny smith apples. Really reminds me of that line between sweet and sour in black cherry Warheads.

M- not a huge amount of carbonation, but a definite nudge. Think un-carbonated hard cider.

O- I love this beer. I grab it biweekly at a bottle shop 30 minutes away. (502 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

750ml cork and cage bottle served in a DFH signature glass. Cork shows an expiration date of 7/2015.

Appearance: Pours a dark red brown color with 1+ finger of a tan head that yields good retention and lacing. When held to light, body is clear with a dark amber color. Lots of visible carbonation.

Smell: Balsamic vinegar, sour cherries, damp oak, some light caramel and red grape.

Taste: Starts with a surprising amount of sweetness on the tongue before some mild sourness starts to creep in and balance it out some. Flavors are sweet and sour cherry, vinegar, red apple, hints of brown bread and Belgian candi sugar.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, soft mouthfeel with medium carbonation. No real alcohol presence.

Overall: Great in all other aspects, but a bit of a letdown in the taste. There's some nice complexity there, but the sweetness is a bit distracting. If the sweetness were turned down and the sourness/acidity turned up a bit, this would be excellent. It's worth a try if you haven't had it, but if you're looking for a regular Flanders Red fix, just stick to Rodenbach Grand Cru (1,096 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Coca-cola. Brown with red hews. Clear. Small head.
S: Vinegar. Acetic acid.
T: cherry. Oak. Sour at the end. Tart. Yum.
M: dry. Highly carbonated. Pucker. Light body.
O: great sour beer. Not overpowering. Clean taste. Sour at the end hangs on a bit. Will buy again. (268 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%

From the freshness dated 11.2 oz bottle, (best before 07 03 2015) into a large wine chalice results in a reddish tinged brown body with some clarity topped by a nice stubborn frothy inch thick head that sticks all over the sides as the level drops, very nice.
Aroma is not overpowering but hints of vinegar, green apple, red licorice and wine subtle softness prevails and invites.
Taste is... wow, sour,no sweet,no sour, berries, leather, candy, a slight grassy,sour again then a sweet coating prickly effervescence but in a medium thick liquid? This is a mesmerizing composition, nothing out of place but more than the sums of its many players
Overall, just wonderful (671 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

a very intense sour beer compared to the handful I've tried. big earthy almost grassy aroma, hints of alcohol, some cherry. just a hint of sour mold. flavor has lot of green apple and cherry, reminds me of a jolly rancher. drinks really smooth and clean and coats the mouth well (278 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured on tap into a 10 oz tulip glass. A very deep red with almost no light transparency and a creamy off white inch head. It has a very red wine like nose with the bitter sweetness. This is my first sour so I can't judge too much but it has a good sour sweet wine taste like a dessert wine or something. It has a crisp mouth feel with a moist finish. Overall quite nice for my first sour. It was aged and cellared by my local Beer Shoppe and I was lucky to try it. (466 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle from Total Wine in Federal Way, WA

A- Amber colored with a three+ finger head of large beige bubble. They dissipated quickly leaving heavy lacing.

S- All Lactic and acetic sour in the nose. Some sweetness at the end.

T- This is a beer that needs to warm up. It starts out fairly sour and metallic but at the right temperature the metal fades to sour/sweet cherry with a solid malt backbone. The sour is always there, but without the metallic component it is much softer.

M- Acid and carbonation, quite light for the amount of flavor in the beer.

O- Outstanding beer. (578 characters)

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe