1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,644 | Reviews: 1,319 | Show All Ratings:
nhindian

2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

11.2oz bottle poured into a Cantillon wine glass.

A - Pours a deep cherry red, almost perfectly clear and extremely pretty. The hue and darkness brimming around it makes the parts which are that mahogany look even more vibrant. About 2 fingers of tan head, with great retention as well. The lacing is weakest part of an otherwise spectacular-looking beer, with it being sticky, but to the beer instead of the glass. It does loosen up as it is drunk, however.

S - Unlike past Red Flanders I've encountered, this beer isn't too focused on the tart or the funk, but rather embraces a more full-bodied aroma. It does bring the slight sour, but it's more of a binding agent rather than jumping out and overwhelming the beer. Surprisingly, a good amount of caramel malt comes through, as well as some vinegar. Not incredibly complex, but certainly whets the palate.

T - Whereas the nose and appearance built this beer up, the taste just does not do it for me at all. Again, the tartness is almost a complete afterthought after a few seconds as it is thrown to the wayside in lieu of a big wave of vinegar. This persists throughout the beer, unfortunately, only stopping momentarily to bring in quick jolts of cherries and grapes. The finish, however, is a complete turn-off. It is somewhat vegetal and saccharine, almost as if there's just too much sugar or sweetener in it (although I am pretty sure nothing in this beer is artificial). Moreover, the blend of all the flavors and the vinegar leaves the finish eerily tasting similar to ketchup in a strange way.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with decent carbonation. Not the most lively beer, but I'm not expecting that given the strict aging requirements of this beer before bottling. Long lasting finish of tart cherries, vinegar, and Heinz 57.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately low. I'm disappointed that after the relatively strong first impressions, this beer just falls off quick for me. Way too much vinegar, not enough tartness, and the vegetal notes in the finish are brutal. I had this at a bar tasting about a year ago, and it was my first sour. I thought it was pretty decent then, but it was just a small sample, and I guess my palate has developed a taste for different types of sours since then...

09-08-2011 05:33:00 | More by nhindian
vobr0002

2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

A- deep amber color, very clear, with a good amount of white head.

S- vinegar, sour, cherries, raspberries

T- buttery, like the smell otherwise.

M- good mouthfeel and carbonation.

O- i do not care for this beer too much. im a big fan of other flanders but this one does not do it for me. Dont think that i will be having this again.

03-02-2012 04:45:22 | More by vobr0002
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

2.45/5  rDev -41%

I was looking forward to this beer, and was very disapointed in it. I had a large bottle of this beer and was not pleased. I thought I would enjoy this beer with turkey stew, but am glad I did not drink this with it. Instead I drank it over a disappointing loss by the Longhorns vs. the Aggies, I shared this with about 4 other people, and we all came to the same conclusion. This beer tastes like someone poured a beer into a bottle of red wine, mind you they are all wine drinkers, except me.

11-25-2007 08:05:45 | More by skeetermoses
MiScusi

2.45/5  rDev -41%

Had this out of a bottle at The Trappist in Oakland. Just want to compare this to other Flanders style red ale's I've had. This thing has only a very mild tartness to it. It is sugary sweet though. VERY sweet. Way too sweet. Excruciatingly sweet. Nice fruit quality but man is it backed by sugary sweetness. Very hard for me to drink.

06-15-2008 17:00:27 | More by MiScusi
Minkybut

2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured into chalice at 50 degrees. Beer wa dark with a nice foamu head that tried to climb out of the bottle. I was excited. Nice bready smell and I was getting more excited. The I tasted it and the sourness made me gag. I'm not sure if there was something wrong with this brew or I'm just not into Flanders style ales and I infact poured it out. I will NOT purchase this again.

12-09-2006 16:33:19 | More by Minkybut
Gtreid

2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

11.3 oz. bottle poured into my Cigar City tulip.

A: Deep copper, almost brown color. The pour creates a pretty thick sand head, that retains wells and leaves some thick lace.

A: Sugary sweet. Almost malt vinegar, with brown sugar. A little caramel, lemon, and cherry. Very earthy, and smells very tart.

T: Very sweet and vinegary. Instead of the sour and sweet balancing each other, as in so many other sours, in this one, I can completely distinguish between the two. I get the sugary sweetness up front, followed by a yeasty sourness at the back. Finishes rather dry, but extremely sweet.

M: Aggressive carbonation and sharp. Medium body.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is low. Way to much sweetness to have any more than one. Overall, I was not impressed by the Duchesse. I did not think the flavors went well at all. The sweet and the sour are supposed to play off of one another, this did not happen here. I really thought it was somewhat of a mess. Won't be purchasing again. Skal.

04-04-2010 15:12:14 | More by Gtreid
BigMike

2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

Duchesse has been on my listof beers to try for a while now but I didn't want to buy a 750. I finally found the smaller bottle andpicked it up.
Pours a dark maroon red color with a small tan head that's very small and thin.
The nose is dark fruits, deep red wine, vinegar. Mostly redwine vinegar.
This isn't what I expected. Alot sweeter then I anticipated. A slight sourness but lots of sugary sweet redwine vinegar. Kind of confusing. I'm torn trying to figure out if I like this or not. The aroma for me is not that pleasant. The taste isn't pleasant either but something makes me want to keep drinking this.
Mouthfeel is sticky. This thing coats the mouth like crazy. Light carbonation.
Overall I don't think I like this one all that much. I want to but the vinegar and sweetness are just too much for my palate. I'm glad this is the 11.2 oz bottle because I'm struggling to finish it.
I'm not sure what the shelf life is with this beer but the best by date on this bottle is 10/2/10 and today is 9/10/10. I don't know if this beer is past it's prime or what but maybe I'll seek out a little fresher bottle.

09-11-2010 01:17:06 | More by BigMike
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.53/5  rDev -39%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Third Flanders Red I've reviewed on this site and it is receiving the lowest scores so far. Very surprised to see it in the top ten for its style.

I didn't like the sour, vingerous aroma mixed in with the old cherry and almonds smells. I know that is what should smell like, but this seemed a over the top.

It looked fine, clear ruby red when held up to the light. The head started as a wisp and didn't change much throughout the drinking, apart from getting less and less.

The sweet and sour taste was too sickly and it was too fizzy as well, over carbonated for sure.

This is a designer beer, I've had it on tap and bottled before, it wasn't great then. My wife doesn't like it and I don't either.

11-22-2008 12:13:35 | More by BlackHaddock
barefootbrewer

Mississippi

2.6/5  rDev -37.3%

This beer poured a deep brown with a light head. It had a tart smell that is weirdly reminiscent of worcesertshire. The smell is definitely unique. The taste is fruity and a bit sour. The mouthfeel is crisp with noticeable carbonation. This is an interesting beer that I would not necessarily consider highly drinkable for me.

09-02-2006 01:45:09 | More by barefootbrewer
nogoodreason

Missouri

2.63/5  rDev -36.6%

Appearance: Nice. Deep red, fairly clear. Lovely thick cream head with a slight red hue. The Duchesse is pretty.

Smell: Um. Vinegar? Sweet Vinegarette? Some fruit, rasberries, cherries. But mostly vinegar.

Taste: Like the smell only with a cloying, sickly sweetness. Again, there is a big fruity aspect there. The more I drink, the less the sweetness effects me and the more I can taste a nice yeastiness but it's subtle, and I still have to wade through the sweetness and the vinegar aspects to get to it.

Mouthfeel: If I can separate the way it feels in my mouth from the smell and taste, I find this to be quite pleasant. Thick, viscous and with enough carbonation to please.

Drinkability: I guess you could call this drinkable, if it's your thing. To me the sweetness made me choke it back rather than savoring it.

I thought at first that I might've gotten a bad bottle, but I asked around and the people that I talked to have had this experience. Some liked it, some didn't. Count me in the latter group. It tastes like a bubbly raspberry vinegarette. Ugh.

08-23-2004 16:14:55 | More by nogoodreason
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

2.63/5  rDev -36.6%

11.2oz brown bottle from Florian's. My first Flemish Red. Dark brownish-red body with ruby-red highlights and a half an inch of light tan head. Smells acidic (like vinegar) with hints of fruit. Tastes acidic and fruity, like a raspberry maybe? After a few sips, a yeasty character starts to show too. Medium-bodied. Not sure what to think of this one... I'm sure it's to style and great for what it is, but I just can't get past that vinegar-like quality, which hurts the taste, smell, and drinkability... Call me unsophisticated and inexperienced, and compared to some I may be, but I am just not a fan of this one, sorry. At least I only ot an 11.2oz.

01-14-2007 03:01:46 | More by MrHurmateeowish
CuriousMonk

2.63/5  rDev -36.6%

Poured from bottle (best by 9/2012 date stamp) into tulip glass. Pours dark redish brown with a quickly discipating creamy white head. Initial aroma is sweet fruit with slight vinous and/or acetic elements. Taste is sour apples/cherries and too much alochol for the low ABV. Body is medium full mainly from the younger of the blend. Depending on the age of the blend the sourness will vary. This sample was much more sour than others that I have had that have been almost cloyingly sweet. This is an interesting beer that attempts a balance between the younger more sweet beer in the blend and the assertively sour older beer. I was disappointed with this one. Not a fan of the style.

03-23-2011 17:14:12 | More by CuriousMonk
philipquarles

Connecticut

2.65/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a deep cherry brown with an off-white head. The head dissipates to leave a nice layer of foam and a lot of lacing. Smells of sour fruit up front; lots of cherry. Malt and residual sugars are definitely present as well, lending some sweet notes to the tartness. The taste is apple cider vinegar mixed with simple syrup. Cherry and caramel apple flavors are there, along with some woodiness. The sweetness doesn't really balance the sour character, just makes it seem disjointed. Not a great take on a sour.

10-28-2008 01:32:42 | More by philipquarles
kerklein2

2.65/5  rDev -36.1%

11.2oz bottle poured to snifter. Best by date of 03-10-09

Found it at the back of my fridge, obviously quite old.

A - Pours a muddy reddish brown. Not too much head

S - Pretty strong smell, clearly sour. Almost vinegary. A touch of sweetness on the smell as well.

T - It all goes wrong here. Can taste the cherries a bit, but mostly pretty pungent sourness. Vinegar here too. Too much sweetness.

M - Not bad, but a little sticky on the back of the mouth. Light carbonation.

O - Wish this one hadn't gone lost in the back of my fridge. I think the lesson is that the best before date has a lot of merit and don't age it too long. Sorry to give such a poor review.

06-22-2011 02:03:45 | More by kerklein2
Evan_Duncan

2.68/5  rDev -35.4%

A - Ruby red with quickly receding sandy head. Medium lacing, and this looks wonderful.

S - Vinegar, tart sourness, stone fruits (is that plumb I smell?), the aroma is not as complex as I thought it would be; everything seems to be muddled and flat. :(

T - some funkiness, metallic, sharp sourness but pleasant. a slight stone fruit note (cherries, plumbs).

M - medium light mouth feel, somewhat thin, good carbonation.

O - The metallic flavor ruined it for me to the point where I couldn't finish it. I was really disappointed with this one. I had high hopes and it fell flat. I will try it again, but this one just did not hold up to its reputation.

07-20-2012 14:15:30 | More by Evan_Duncan
busternuggz

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a Belgian glass. "Best before" date of 3-3-12.
Pours an attractive ruby color with an off-white-tan head, which persisted with a 1/8" presence throughout drinking. Left some thick and immobile lacing.
Smells were a little odd, I picked up tamarind and fruit candy, and a weird rubbery note.
Tasted like cherry Jolly Rancher, strawberry jam, and thick fruit syrup, like the kind you make snow cones with. Maybe the merest hint of tartness, but it is way unbalanced by all the sweetness.
The texture was pretty highly carbonated yet syrupy at the same time.
Thick and cloying. I'm having a hard time finishing one.
No real tartness, oak character, or yeast notes to speak of for me, just overly sweet thick fruit flavors.

07-12-2010 23:40:56 | More by busternuggz
WetCoaster

2.73/5  rDev -34.2%

Appearance: An even mix of garnet and brown, crystal clear, with a fizzy, yet rocky and firm tan head. Good retention and surprisngly sticky lace. Beautiful color, real stunner.

Smell: Wow, all over the place. Malt sweetness, yeasty, funky, woody, ripe cherry fruitiness, vinous, musty barnyard -- a real marvel, this. Wow.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Uh... yikes. Very, very, very sweet -- almost like Malta soda, if you've ever spent any time in Latin America or Miami -- while at the same time sour like a cherry Pez. But oddly, they don't seem to blend at all, it's two distinct flavors. In fact, this tastes exactly like a carbonated 10-year-old balsamic vinegar. Yeah, that's it -- dead-on. The mouthfeel, on the other hand, is the picture of normalcy, medium bodied, moderately carbonated, if a bit sticky.

Drinkability: I'll be the first to admit this is not a style with which I've had much experience. So while this may or may not be a stellar example of the style, it's something I simply do not like. Novel, but not something I'll be back for any time soon.

09-22-2005 20:16:42 | More by WetCoaster
davidchollar

Washington

2.73/5  rDev -34.2%

i gotta admit, i don't think i am advanced enough as far as palates are concerned. this beer confuses me. when i smell it and sip, i wonder what am i drinking? it's unlike anything i've had before, but it reminds me of too many other things.

looks good, nice mahogany with beige head and lots of lacing. the smell is abrasive. my first thought is nail polish remover, that ruins it for me, i can hardly think of anything else other than vinegar and a hint of barbecue sauce, i guess if i dig deep i can smell malts. it's not that bad though, a lot going on so almost good to sniff.

tastes like disgusting, cheap,low-alcohol wine. funny thing, if you drink it without smelling at all, like holding your breath, it just tastes like grape juice. if you breathe in and take a whiff you get a complex taste with a range of flavors all the way to the slightly bitter finish, but for me it is overall dominated by a sickening sweetness. i taste skittles, runts, willy wonka candies galore.

i have been living in japan for a few years now, so my sugar intake is minimal. this might be the cause of my revolting reaction to anything more than a little sweet. i don't know anything about this style of beer, but compared to everything else i've had, i thought this was gross and not worth $5 for a small bottle.

12-02-2005 15:11:59 | More by davidchollar
Intrinsic

Germany

2.73/5  rDev -34.2%

This is my first Flanders Red, and I'm having a hard time making it through this beer so its difficult to give it an objective review.

It sure looks tasty, with a dark red colour and fluffy off-white head. Nice lacing as well.

The smell hit me like a tonne of bricks, but not in the good sense. Its incredibly sour and reminds me of cherries that have been in the fridge too long.

The taste is more of the same. In fact, I can't really taste anything else through the sourness.

Mouthfeel is ok - at least I think it is. I'm overwhelmed by the sour flavour so it's hard to tell. Overall, I can't stand this beer but I know it's my own dislike for the style. I'm sure it's great for anyone who enjoys the style.

05-05-2011 23:38:15 | More by Intrinsic
Mistofminn

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%

Found this bottle in a 6 pack Belgian sampler in my parents fridge. Its strange enough that beer is found in my dads fridge, let alone this type of beer. He says it's from a patient.

25 cl bottle with 02-09-11 stamped on back.

Pours a nice burgundy red color into a pint glass. A solid one finger white cap sits atop the beer, with excellent retention but only leaves a little bit of lacing behind.

The nose is sour and acidic, very vinegar like. I get a little bit of sour cherries in the finish and only the slightest sweetness.

The taste is shocking. Forget sour, this thing is sweeet, cloyingly so. Still slightly acidic up front, but that soon gives way to the syrupy sweetness that is Duchesse. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a full spoonful of sugar in every ounce of this. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something, but this is incredibly and unflatteringly sweet.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light. For something so sweet and described above as "syrupy" you would think it would be thicker but it isn't. Starts acidic and sharp but finishes smooth.

Drinkability definitely takes a hit because of the cloying sweetness. There isn't a way around it.

Overall, kind of disappointed with this one. I have a feeling that this might be a bad bottle, but if all others are like this, this definitely is not a good representation of the style.

02-07-2010 04:40:10 | More by Mistofminn
BoozySmurf

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%

My first sour, enjoyed before dinner with my wife and our friends. Poured into a tulip glass with a murky reddish-brown color. Lighting at Falls Taproom isn't great though. Head was white and substantial. Smells a bit musty, malty sweetness also, and a hint of vinegar. Overall light aroma, nothing overpowering. Flavor was initially sweet and sour, mostly sour and sort of a balsamic quality. This flavor, while pleasant, departed quickly and the aftertaste was musty. Sort of like a wet dog smell that lingers on the palate. I've experienced this in the past (most notably with Arrogant Bastard) and my guess is that certain hops disagree with me. Unfortunately the aftertaste is what lingered. Mouthfeel was a little sticky, but light. Overall impression was disappointing. I was looking forward to a mouth-puckering vinegar experience (I loves me some deli pickles) but the aftertaste overwhelmed the initial sour flavors. This was my first "sour" so I'll probably try it again. Geez though they're always so damn expensive!

08-07-2011 04:00:24 | More by BoozySmurf
jasonjlewis

2.83/5  rDev -31.8%

I haven’t been marking the blind tasted beers I have had. My girlfriend poured this for me out of 7 beers I gave her to choose from.

Appearance: little head with decent lacing: Red color. I can see my fingers through the glass. 2.0

Smell: 4.5 toffee and black currents and grapes with caramel. A heavenly delight of a smell

Taste: 2.5 This beer is incredibly sweet. Loads of candy sugar in this, I am sure. Belgian sugar candy with black currant. Back round is of toffee and caramel. This beer has crazy sweetness It’s very cloying. I am smacking my lips because of the sweetness. It is tart and sweet. Some balancing sourness comes out as the beer warms. This could become well rounded if they put less candy sugar in this beer.

Mouthfeel: 2.0This beer is undercarbonated and makes my lips smack. The overly sugariness of the beer does not make for a good mouthfeel.

Drinkability: 2.5 I could drink this beer fast because it is so sweet, but it wouldn't make for that enjoyable og an expriece.

10-28-2007 08:22:38 | More by jasonjlewis
0110x011

2.88/5  rDev -30.6%

Recieved this in the TIF from Kempleton. Thanks!

Pours a murky dark amber color, with a frothy two-finger head and not much lacing. Nose is dark fruit and vinegar, with that lactic sour sting. The sourness hits first, but then quickly fades, giving way to sugar. Like pure sugar. This is waaay too sweet for the flemish sour style. The sweetness & sugar overpower any hint that his might be a Flanders Red. Tastes to me like what Dogfish Head would do with this style. Medium mouthfeel, but the sweetness takes away that crisp, palate-cleansing refreshment I so look forward to with Flanders Reds. If you're new to the style, it might be an interesting drink. if you've had any other Flanders Reds, avoid it.

06-25-2008 17:23:12 | More by 0110x011
FLAbeergutinMASS

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%

Now I'll admit that I am not a huge fan of this beer, even though this is my first and probably last time I'll try this style. I don't have anything to compare it too, so I'll be as objective as possible.

Served in what seemed to be red wine glass. Not much activity in terms of carbonation, or head. Brandywine red color.

Smell like malt vinegar. Really.

Tasted like malt vinegar. Really.

This was one beer that I could not wait to finish. One of the least drinkable beers I have ever had. I simply did not enjoy this beer.

06-09-2005 16:25:31 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
PapaEugene

Netherlands

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%

One of the beers that was on the menu of the beer tasting that I had with fellow member rvdoorn.

Appearance

Nice deep red colour like a good Bourgondy wine. Very minor lacing.

Smell

The smell almost made me throw away this beer, thinking it was rotten. The smell of wine gone bad, vinegar and my daughter's vomit.

Taste

RvDoorn had to convince me to taste this beer after this horrible smell. So, huge contrast to the smell. Tastes like a Kriek beer to me but also a good bodied wine. Red fruits, cherry, strawberry. At a certain point closed my nose to keep drinking.

Mouthfeel

Carbonation was high for my standards. The aftertaste balances between sweet and sour. A little bitter

Drinkability

Well, I will not try this beer again. Too bad, as I really liked the taste. The smell spoils it all.

07-31-2009 08:54:06 | More by PapaEugene