Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A -- A brilliant amber / red concoction that bubbled to a nice head and settled well, leaving good streaks of lacing.

S -- Strongly tart yet somewhat sweet in the nose. Light acid, smells vaguely of watermelon pickles I had growing up. Faint oak aroma as well.

T -- Flavor overload. Complex tart and slightly sweet like dipping rhubarb in sugar and then eating it with pickled beets. But the acidity is not overpowering, really well balanced by the wood, ending with a sweet pucker.

M -- Well carbonated, smooth yet robust in presence. A light tart pucker to follow and a faint lingering stickiness.

D -- Again and again and some more. Please. This is the beer that introduced me to the style, and not many can even come close. Worth anyone's money for the experience alone.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been over a year since I last tried this brew. Wow! I love this style.

750ml bottle purchased at Spirits Unlimited in Red Bank - cork stamped "good until Nov. 2007." I am drinking it young and loving it!

Unlike the last bottle I tried which was a 11.3. ounce crown capped bottle, this one is cork and cage finished.

Poured a deep ruby garnet with a generous off-white head that lasts and lasts and leaves clumps of thick lacing.

Aroma is funky earth, some wine vinegar and a malt like sweetness that I cannot say I have smelled before.

Taste is refreshing and complex. a tartness up front morphs into candy sugar and finishes in a bready slightly dry finish. Sour cherry candies?

Mouthfeel is creamy and light, which makes this quenching beer a real refresher.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

This is one of my all-time favorites, and I just had some again the other night. I apparently don't drink this nearly as often as I should.

The sour notes in the aroma are strong enough to set up the sweetness of the beer as the dominant flavor for the first few sips then the interplay of the flavors starts up. Complex sweet and sour fruit, old wet oak, earth, leather... It has everything a beer with no definable hop character should have. The sweetness stood out more this time, probably because I drank it fully chilled. I typically drink it at about 60 degrees fahrenheit (or warmer) which balances it more to my taste. Try it at different temperatures, learn all about it. I've been drinking it for years and I'm still learning.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, really had what I look for in a sour. Dark fruit tartness and strong sour acidity. After the first few sips I could really get all the tropical fruit tang although every few sips I do catch a whiff of a solvent like alcohol flavor especially on the back on my palate. But overall a amazing beer great for satisfying a sour crave.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle, marked “Best before 02/02/2013” also “ A blend of 8 and 18 months old beers following the carful maturation in oak casks”

Purchased 10/11 and very well stored.

Poured into a Corsendunk Tulip

Pours a huge three finger head, very foamy, lots of medium bubbles, lots! The head very slowly reduces to ½”, excellent lace.
The color is very deep red amber. Beautiful! Classic looks.

The aroma is a big blast of wild cherry smelling yeast, very powerful with a fair amount of wood peaking thru in the background. Each smell brings and ever changing cherry aroma. It is very complex and aromatic.

Crisp, delicious entry on the palate of sour wild cherry and yeast. Woody mouth drying middle, yet there is a faint suggestion of sweetness, probably mind games from the intense cherry flavor. A very pronounced and yet very balanced sourness. The medium full body and crisp acidity perfectly balance this ale. Just flat out delicious!

The finish is long and very mouth drying, consisting of sour cherry of course, followed by distinct wood. The woody dryness eventually takes charge.

This is an amazing brew, unlike any other style. Amazing flavor profile and a great choice for breakfast. Really!!
I have had this on tap several times (these notes are from bottle) with very similar taste profiles. It is more akin to drinking a fine wine than an ale, with an exceptionally enjoyable mix of fruit and wood and a complex bouquet. Wow!
Highly recommended! And an excellent introduction to the style.

look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Today is special. Well, sort of. This is beer #200 for us! We have drank a lot of beers over the last two years, but this is a milestone I am excited about. I am also excited about a beer trade we got in the mail today thanks to Andy Crow, a craft beer lover from Iowa. He sent a ton of bottles we haven't had before, including a bottle of KBS from Founders. Thanks for the trade, Andy!

This beer sits on the shelf at Total Wine, but no one ever buys it. I was excited to see this bottle appear in a recent beer class at Total Wine, and was BLOWN away with the flavor. I remember nothing but sour flavors; lip sucking sour flavors in this bottle. You know me and sours. Also, I love the label. The duchess looks so proper sitting there. OK, let's drink. I can't wait!!!

In the Glass: The beer pours reddish-brown; almost looks like a brown ale to be honest. It leaves a nice thin tan head on top that just sits there. Not thick, but according to the label, you are to drink this beer cold. The beer also leaves a nice thin lace.

Nose: This beer even smells sour. Actually, to be honest, the beer stinks. It is so sour that it smells gross! But that is what a Flanders red is supposed to smell like. This is also a smaller bottle, so there isn't much in my glass. I wish they sold thees in bombers. Especially with such a low ABV. A second whiff leaves me those same sour fruity notes I was getting as I poured the beer. Let's drink!

Flavor: Oh. My. GOD! That isn't beer… that is heaven in a glass. Holy crap, that is good. I mean, GREAT. It starts almost mellow and boring, then the sour flavors hit and you are stuck sucking your lips for five minutes. Then, as the beer sits on the palate, it settles to a sweet drying finish. I just looked at the brewery on Google Maps. This place is TINY. The next time we are in Belgium I want to visit the brewery and see them making this stuff in person. I do have another week of vacation this year… maybe I will go to Belgium and get lost bouncing from brewery to brewery! This is a GREAT beer if you like sours.

Mouthfeel: The front of my palate is bored to tears, but the back of my tongue is dancing with flavor. The beer is not thick, but has a nice fluffy mouthfeel. One thing I find enjoyable with sour beers are their tendency to lose that powerful sour flavor as you drink. Not sure if my palate is getting used to the flavor or what, but it allows me to enjoy a sour beer with several different flavors throughout the course of a bottle. Like I said, I just wish the bottle was bigger!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is great on this bottle. The sour flavor is there for a few swallows, but then a sweetness begins to set in and it becomes dry. With such a low ABV you could drink a ton of this stuff and never know you were drinking beer. I bet this, room temperature, would be amazing. Or, I just thought of this, with a splash of soda water. Make it a Sunday afternoon spritzer by the pool. Yummy!

I knew I was going to like this… and I like it more now than I did when I tried it in the beer class. Bravo to Brouwerij Verhaeghe. This is the only bottle from them on our list… I wonder what other beers they produce. Has anyone tried anything else from them? Oh well, this one is good enough for me to buy over and over again!!! Cheers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass. Pours reddish copper with a fluffy tan head that leaves behind plenty of lacing. The aroma is of vinegar and sour fruit (perhaps cherry or apple). It's funky. The flavor is tart up front with plenty of carbonation. I can taste some apple flavor. The sour flavor isn't overwhelming and plays well with the carbonation. The flavors are definitely interesting, but in a good way. It's medium bodied with proper carbonation. The finish is dry. This is a sipper due to the tartness, but it's an easy sipper. Overall, I'd rate this an excellent beer.

4.74/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was my first flanders red, and my first craft brew -- it left me in awe that something could taste like this. I was infatuated with the funk and the sour. I still cannot get enough of the Duchesse.

Pours a dark ruby/garnet with a thick head.
Smells like gym sock and farmhouse funk deliciousness with hints of tart cherries.
Initial taste is funky with a sour aftertaste. Tastes like cherries, and has a dry acidic finish to it. Very refreshing brew.

This is a full bodied slightly complex beer that is easily drinkable. The statements are correct that this indeed is a nice Flanders Red Intro.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

From the freshness dated 11.2 oz bottle, (best before 07 03 2015) into a large wine chalice results in a reddish tinged brown body with some clarity topped by a nice stubborn frothy inch thick head that sticks all over the sides as the level drops, very nice.
Aroma is not overpowering but hints of vinegar, green apple, red licorice and wine subtle softness prevails and invites.
Taste is... wow, sour,no sweet,no sour, berries, leather, candy, a slight grassy,sour again then a sweet coating prickly effervescence but in a medium thick liquid? This is a mesmerizing composition, nothing out of place but more than the sums of its many players
Overall, just wonderful

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

More of a score justification than review:

I developed a love for Flemish Reds after drinking this. I have tried a few different offerings, from Belgium and the American homage brews. The problem is that I drank Jacobins first... so that was my benchmark. As a result, everything else is compared to that one.

This fell short really only on the level of sour (for me..) Every other profile that the Flemish Red Ale is famous for, this one has. The deep red color, the tart aroma, the cherries in the flavor. Excellent.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe