1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Ratings: 2,644 | Reviews: 1,319 | Show All Ratings:
alk3kenny

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just starting to get into/try sour beers and from I understand this is a legend. Pours a dark, dark ruby red. Nice tan head that sticks around for awhile. Smell dark fruit, banana, not really picking up anything sour on the nose but smells amazing. OOOHHH there's the sour lol it's all over the taste and mouthfeel. Tart, sour cherry some of the funky taste I recognize from beers with brett but not nearly as pronounced. This is very nicely balanced. Won't be an every day beer for me because of the price point but I'll be back for more.

07-16-2013 23:33:27 | More by alk3kenny
TCMike

4.09/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Produced a 2 finger beige head. Beer color is a reddish-mahogany.

Smell is of berries, a little farm house funk, red vinegar.

The taste was similar. Got a little soy sauce like taste, and a definite in your face tartness. No noticeable hop bitterness. Has an upper-medium carbonation, and medium mouth-feel.

Not what I was expecting when I bought it, but didn't look into it before buying. It is very good, but not a style I'm a big fan of.

07-16-2013 22:56:57 | More by TCMike
BethanyB

4.54/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: Large, tan, beady bead, and a reddish brown body. Clear with the exception of some intermittent chill haze. Impressively, the head sticks around until the bitter end.

Smell: A tantalizing sweet and and sour smell, reminiscent of soy sauce, mixed with a tangy array of ripe red berries, dates, and plumbs. A bit of mocha can be detected as well.

Taste: Lick-your-lips tartness and savory umami dominate and satisfy. Sweet raspberry vinaigrette, juicy apples, and the dates and prunes promised by the bouquet are included in the complex, yet well-balanced flavor combo. Left me absolutely CRAVING more, and cursing myself for buying just one bottle.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Moderately high carbonation is unusual for the style, but brings a refreshing tanginess that can't not be appreciated. Smooth, yet slightly dry finish.

Overall: Filling, relaxing, fascinating, jubilant...you know when I start using adjectives that personify a beer, that I absolutely love it. Could be my new favorite. Don't tell my husband, but I might be in love.

07-14-2013 15:13:11 | More by BethanyB
mechtech

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Balsamic vinegar, cherry, fairly sweet and tart, slightly soy sauce. Finish of tartness and rich fruit lasts longer than expected, and a musty taste is eventually left behind. Very refreshing and easy to drink. Quite nice if you like vinegar, fairly complex.

07-03-2013 06:57:33 | More by mechtech
mikeg67

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

750 ml bottle. Pours brown with white head and lively carbonation. Aroma is of vinegar, caramel, brown sugar, plums and alcohol. Body is full and tangy. Taste is of barnyard yeast, cherries, plums, caramel, vinegar and brown sugar. Finish is long, sweet and sour. Amazingly delicious brew.

06-30-2013 23:00:48 | More by mikeg67
ThisWangsChung

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle into a New Belgium goblet.

A: Pours a dark burgundy color. The off-white shaded head, in typical sour ale fashion, is quick to fade, but starts at three fingers high due to an aggressive pour. Nice specks of lacing left on the glass, though.

S: It starts off with a load of wine grapes and lesser notes of cherries. As it opens up in the glass, it develops more and more acetic vinegar notes. Still, it's very well balanced within the (restrained) sugary sweetness.

T: The opening is moderately tart, nothing to rape the palate, but something that's definitely palpable. It develops into a leathery finish that I find quite offensive at first - after a few sips, though, the palate adjusts to its presence. The more I sip, the more its fruity cherry notes come forward on the back end. After a while, I start to enjoy its sweet/tart balance. As much as I enjoy it, the musty strangeness (especially on exhales/burps) brings it down a touch.

M: The palate is never fully beat down by tartness...the sweet finish does a great job of keeping it in check. I would complain that it's too sweet, but I won't. This is too drinkable and refreshing for me to care.

O: If anything, this is something of a middle ground between Lindeman's sugar bombs and a proper sour ale. The sugary sweetness is quite prevalent, yet it doesn't overpower the tart qualities. I can see this being very approachable to sour ale beginners.

06-28-2013 22:38:11 | More by ThisWangsChung
JerzDevl2000

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Picked this up at Top Hops a few weeks back, never having anything from Brouwerij Verhaeghe before or even a Flanders Red Ale, for that matter. Even though this reminded me of a Lambic, this completely caught me off-guard and was one of the more pleasant surprises that I've had in a long time. It's a bit syrupy for me but besides the slightly heavy mouthfeel, there was a lot to like about this beer and for a style that's not terribly common, it got my attention rather quickly!

Nice pour to this, with a mahogany hue, somewhat thick head, and lacing that slowly fell down the sides of my pint glass. Not a strong aroma to this either but there was lots of cherry, booze, syrup, and malt. The carbonation was good as well and the funkiness of this had me thinking that this was a Lambic, on the scale of a Lindemann's. This had a good amount of sour apple in the back and combined with a smooth and somewhat silky mouthfeel, made this beer quite easy to down for a Flanders Red Ale neophyte like me.

The alcohol wasn't that strong in this either and even though I only bought one bottle, I could have downed quite a few in a sitting. Very beers are this smooth and accessible while not being overly strong, tart, or sour, but this straddled the edge of those quite well. I couldn't taste the balsamic vinegar here and there wasn't any spice either so if you're new to this, get it and give a go - I can't imagine anyone not liking this beer!

06-26-2013 12:42:36 | More by JerzDevl2000
KYGunner

Kentucky

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Cognac brown in a sniffer there was a nice bed of foam on top that drifted away slowly.

Very sweet to the nose there was tons of sherry, port or vinous notes. Grape must, earthy sour aromas this was very interesting.

It's hard to relate the taste to a beer. So much port flavor, sherry sweetness and just the right amount of tart this is like drinking a fermented grape based liquor, with low alcohol. Very smooth, lots of crisp carbonation to help it down, this is very different from expectation.

06-24-2013 02:37:29 | More by KYGunner
ChrisKayler

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Glass: Port City Belgian Style Snifter.

Appearance: Dark Reddish-Brown Mahogany. Aggressive pour produced 1 finger of head which dissipated in two minutes. No lacing. Loving the color!

Smell: Tart, slightly metallic, cherries are most prominent. A bit of alcohol smell.

Taste: Tart cherries mostly, slightly metallic aftertaste. Tiny bit of lemon sourness.

Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation. No stickiness. Refreshing.

Overall: Probably a good beginners sour ... drinks like a tart cherry juice with just a bit of that funky sourness. Nice underlying sweetness.

06-20-2013 17:49:24 | More by ChrisKayler
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle poured into tulip 18/6/13

A nearly clear ruby red with lots of carbonation, a light brown two finger foams a little darker then expected and quickly looses half its height but then sticks around a pinky deep leaving several partial rings deep down the glass

S earthy wood notes, some sour fruit, brown sugar, just a very faint hint of funk and vinegar, smells solid but could use just a little more intensity

T flavors stronger then the nose, has a sweet and sour thing going on and it works very well, cherry, strawberries and raspberries both sweet and tart, those fizzy candies that come in the two foot long strips, wood and vinegars quite faint, soft caramels add to the mix, wonderful stuff

M silky through the lips and creams up nicely, sweet and sour, a little slick inside your mouth and sticky on the lips, mild fruity aftertaste is rather clean much to my surprise

O great beer that's already gone at this point, very easy to drink and everything meshes together to create a lovely sweet and sour, fruity mix

I've had this several times before and I'm not really sure how I've never sat down and reviewed it, a classic brew that I doubt will ever go out of style

06-19-2013 17:58:26 | More by wordemupg
dwren89

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: reddish mahogany, sticky, foamy off white head, good clarity

Aroma: funky barnyard smell, musty, fruit sweetness, slight sour notes and acetic nature

Taste: barnyard Brett character, mustiness, slight fruit character, yeast does the hard driving of flavor here, malt provides a canvas for the yeast to paint the picture

Mouthfeel: moderate carbonation, smooth character, medium body,

Overall Impression: A truly different sort of Flanders Red primary driven by its Brett yeast character and subsequent musty, barnyard flavors. Berry fruitiness plays in the background as well as malt sweetness. Hops round out but are not noticed in flavor or aroma.

06-12-2013 22:03:09 | More by dwren89
silverking

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

A- it pours a deep red with a tall tan head. Lattice like lacing and excellent head retention.

S- acidic, vinegar, tart red fruit.

T- acidic, but with a nice cherry note to balance it out. The finish shows notes of Sour cherry and raspberry.

M- light and refreshing with moderate/light carbonation. Fresh.

O- better than i had expected. Crisp and refreshing.

06-10-2013 04:14:12 | More by silverking
ckollias

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a Beligan Tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark amber almost brown hue with an off-white, 2-finger, frothy head that quickly dissipates leaving a good trail and solid lace.

S: Sour fruity aroma.

T: Extremely sour brew with a dark fruits and vinegar background that finishes on the dry side.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Yummy – sour brew – love it!

06-02-2013 02:32:31 | More by ckollias
bnes09

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

Deep bronze color and ruby when held to light. A few floating yeast flakes. Weakish head on the pour recedes quickly to a foamy corona aroma the rim of the glass. Leaves a few lace spots.

Soft, sweet and juicy dark fruit aroma.

Sweetish fruits: dates, prunes and raisins. No hop bitterness detected. Sharp vinegar tartness in the middle. Brown sugar sweetness lingers in the aftertaste. Mild spices and hint of toasty character. Well balanced. Finishes with a juicy overripe fruit character.

Medium bodied and highly carbonated. Finish is dry and texture is slick then sticky.

Pretty good. I'm growing accustomed to the style. I appreciate the complexity and wealth of flavors.

05-28-2013 02:08:13 | More by bnes09
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.73/5  rDev +14%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Today is special. Well, sort of. This is beer #200 for us! We have drank a lot of beers over the last two years, but this is a milestone I am excited about. I am also excited about a beer trade we got in the mail today thanks to Andy Crow, a craft beer lover from Iowa. He sent a ton of bottles we haven't had before, including a bottle of KBS from Founders. Thanks for the trade, Andy!

This beer sits on the shelf at Total Wine, but no one ever buys it. I was excited to see this bottle appear in a recent beer class at Total Wine, and was BLOWN away with the flavor. I remember nothing but sour flavors; lip sucking sour flavors in this bottle. You know me and sours. Also, I love the label. The duchess looks so proper sitting there. OK, let's drink. I can't wait!!!

In the Glass: The beer pours reddish-brown; almost looks like a brown ale to be honest. It leaves a nice thin tan head on top that just sits there. Not thick, but according to the label, you are to drink this beer cold. The beer also leaves a nice thin lace.

Nose: This beer even smells sour. Actually, to be honest, the beer stinks. It is so sour that it smells gross! But that is what a Flanders red is supposed to smell like. This is also a smaller bottle, so there isn't much in my glass. I wish they sold thees in bombers. Especially with such a low ABV. A second whiff leaves me those same sour fruity notes I was getting as I poured the beer. Let's drink!

Flavor: Oh. My. GOD! That isn't beer… that is heaven in a glass. Holy crap, that is good. I mean, GREAT. It starts almost mellow and boring, then the sour flavors hit and you are stuck sucking your lips for five minutes. Then, as the beer sits on the palate, it settles to a sweet drying finish. I just looked at the brewery on Google Maps. This place is TINY. The next time we are in Belgium I want to visit the brewery and see them making this stuff in person. I do have another week of vacation this year… maybe I will go to Belgium and get lost bouncing from brewery to brewery! This is a GREAT beer if you like sours.

Mouthfeel: The front of my palate is bored to tears, but the back of my tongue is dancing with flavor. The beer is not thick, but has a nice fluffy mouthfeel. One thing I find enjoyable with sour beers are their tendency to lose that powerful sour flavor as you drink. Not sure if my palate is getting used to the flavor or what, but it allows me to enjoy a sour beer with several different flavors throughout the course of a bottle. Like I said, I just wish the bottle was bigger!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is great on this bottle. The sour flavor is there for a few swallows, but then a sweetness begins to set in and it becomes dry. With such a low ABV you could drink a ton of this stuff and never know you were drinking beer. I bet this, room temperature, would be amazing. Or, I just thought of this, with a splash of soda water. Make it a Sunday afternoon spritzer by the pool. Yummy!

I knew I was going to like this… and I like it more now than I did when I tried it in the beer class. Bravo to Brouwerij Verhaeghe. This is the only bottle from them on our list… I wonder what other beers they produce. Has anyone tried anything else from them? Oh well, this one is good enough for me to buy over and over again!!! Cheers.

05-09-2013 20:56:41 | More by rickyleepotts
Darkmagus82

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a chestnut color with some ruby highlights seen shinning throughout. Upon pouring there is a small white head that fades relatively quickly leaving only a trace of lace.

Smell- The aroma is of dark fruit and sourness. The dark fruits are mainly of a cherry aroma, but have hints of raisin and prune mixed within. Along with these sweeter smells comes a good dose of a sour and tart aroma of a mix of apple cider vinegar mixed with some sour lemon.

Taste – The flavor of the brew is a nice blending of sweet and sour/tart. Upfront there is a good showing of a sweeter cherry flavor mixed with some lighter notes of sour grapes. As the flavor advances the sweetness fades slightly while the sour grape flavor grows stronger. Some hints of a yeasty taste begin coming to the tongue as well as a more sour and tart vinegar taste. In the end a rather balanced sweet and sour fruited vinegar flavor is left to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- The body of the brew is on the thinner side with a carbonation level that is rather average to slightly below average. The thinner body and moderate carbonation are fantastic for keeping the brew on the more drinkable side, but while still providing enough body to support the sour and sweet flavors of the brew.

Overall – A very nice sour that is extremely drinkable and very tasty. One of the most balanced and enjoyable sours I have ever had.

05-09-2013 00:41:56 | More by Darkmagus82
mscudder

Georgia

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served in a chalice. Best by 2014-09-06

A - Light brown hue with a two-finger ivory head. Good head retention with fair lacing.

S - Smells like a lively sour! Cherry, wild yeast and vinegar.

T - Tart, sweet and a little sour. Cherry holds he spotlight and curves out nicely as it warms.

M - Smooth medium body on the tongue with noticeable carbonation.

O - An enjoyable beer that exceeded my expectations.

05-07-2013 01:41:25 | More by mscudder
wedge

It's been too long.

Beautiful chestnut colored body with a small, creamy pillow of a head that quickly reduces to a plush, bubbly ring. Oaky balsamic sharpness first hits the nose along with sour cherry, berries, caramel, and dusty red wine. Big, sour, well-rounded flavors like sweet, acidic fruit, tart cherry, wood, light tannins. Dry and puckering. This takes me back. Less vinegary than I remember. Excellent...

05-04-2013 01:55:58 | More by wedge
Axnjxn

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml corked bottled poured into a snifter glass. Cork says expires on 9/2014.

Pours a medium reddish-brown color with a light, bubbly head. Smell is mild for a sour, with sweet grapes being the pronounced scent along with vinegar. the taste is...wow. Quite different. Not at all how it smells. First off, it's not very sour tasting at all. VERY easy to drink. Sweet fruits dominate the palate with a very slight sour aftertaste. I taste cherry and grape mostly, but there are so many flavors here. I really enjoy it. Carbonation is high, as it should be for the style.

Overall this is a very drinkable beer. It's more candy than beer. It's not something you'd drink fast, as the flavors are so complex you want to savor every sip. It is honestly the most "different" beer I've ever tasted. I really enjoyed this one.

05-03-2013 00:00:57 | More by Axnjxn
alex_hart

Oklahoma

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: A deep brownish red in color with a 1/4 finger off white head. Minimal visible carbonation.

Smell: Honestly, pretty strange. I think it is because I am not quite used to the style. Some dark fruits, some sour cherry and prune.

Taste: this is unbelievable. It follows the nose, but in the most perfect way. The tart, dark fruits come to the front and the flavor remains long after you swallow. Absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel: light to medium bodied with light carbonation on the tongue.

Overall: This is absolutely fantastic. I am just getting into the "sours" realm, and this is just delicious.

05-02-2013 04:38:27 | More by alex_hart
jazzyjeff13

United Kingdom (England)

3.99/5  rDev -3.9%

A 330ml bottle with a BB of Jan 2013, so it's a little out of date. Picked up ages ago from Trembling Madness in York. I hope it hasn't aged too badly. Why does the image of the duchess show her with a bird on her hand?

Poured into a Delirium chalice. A deep ruby hue with good clarity and intense carbonation. It doesn't appear to be bottle conditioned. Yields a large head of creamy off-white foam that lasts for a while before reducing to a thick surface layer. Aroma of fruity sweet 'n sour. Notes of balsamic vinegar, raisins, dried fruit, brown sugar, caramel, must/wine, earthiness, a hint of malt and faint yeast. Possesses a rather tart intensity.

Tastes of fruity malt with an acidic quality and a dry finish. Notes of balsamic, wine, raisins, dried fruit, brown sugar, caramel, malt vinegar, faint oak/wood, earthiness and dry yeast. Decidedly sour yet surprisingly sweet - a truly strange combination. There is a background twinge of oxidation; hard to tell if this is intentional or due to the age of the bottle. Astringent and mildly puckering upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth, sour and tingly - the acidity stimulates the tastebuds. Good carbonation and decent body. An aftertaste of tart, fruity vinegar and mild oxidation.

Good stuff; a unique and fascinating flavour blend that no other style can match (though I suppose lambics come close). Simultaneously sweet and sour, the aroma and flavour exhibit fruity notes most reminiscent of balsamic vinegar. It looks nice, and the body is pretty good. While I don't mind Flemish reds, I do find them rather cloying - this is not a brew I would have twice in a row. Having said that, it is a exemplary take on the style. One to add to your must-try list.

04-27-2013 23:51:23 | More by jazzyjeff13
Beelzebeer

Newfoundland (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle, BB Nov 23/2013, served in a tulip

A - Dark brown, with 1" head that sticks around. Nice lacing.

S - Some malt, more sour than anything else. A fruity vinegar.

T - Jackfruit and kiwi off the top, then the sour comes in. Pretty complex for such a seemingly light brew.

M - Beautiful. Kind of chewy, dense. Good medium-high carbonation.

O - Great sour.

04-27-2013 22:54:01 | More by Beelzebeer
constantine_272

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Dark brown with a hint of red. Light tan sticky foam.

S: Sweet raspberry and blackberry candy notes. Carmelized sugar notes. Tart apple.

T: Again sweet raspberry followed by a sweet tart apple flavor. Rich hazelnut flavor is very mild, probably from the barrel aging.

M: Light and crisp. Very smooth. Tons of rich flavor that is balanced out nicely with the tartness.

O: Yum. Such a rich delicious sweet beer. Excellent. Think I liked roedenbach better though; doesn't feel like there were as deep of a flavor.

04-26-2013 03:30:53 | More by constantine_272
Titans77

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into an oversized snifter.

A - Very very dark brown with hints of red where the light hits the glass. Half finger of khaki head that sticks around for a bit. Good looking beer.

S - sour cherry and dark fruits. very pungent.

T - big sour dark fruits with a dominant cherry flavor. A great example of Flanders Red style.

M - Puckering sour from start to finish. Mild carbonation and medium bodied. One of my favorite sours so far.

O - I feel that this is slightly better than Rodenbach Grand Cru. A very good entry sour, which is what I am into right now. Good stuff.

04-17-2013 18:50:12 | More by Titans77
JuliusCaesar

New Hampshire

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a deep red with an inch tall white head

S: Aroma of Belgian yeast and fruit

T: Not overly sour but has a good bite to it. Fruit and candy. Sweet but balanced

M: Good carbonation

Overall: This is candy not beer. The Duchesse is one fine lady

04-16-2013 00:51:00 | More by JuliusCaesar