1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Ratings: 2,640 | Reviews: 1,319 | Show All Ratings:
Steasy66

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

~12oz pour at Nomad world pub into a wide mouth glass.
A- Dark brown, not much head.
S- Smells quite fruity, very sour.
T- Nice red fruits, a lot of oak, somewhat sours. I don't really like sours, but this is a fine beer.
M- Crisp carbonation, not too thick, nice.
O- Pretty shocked to find a sour I liked. Would drink again.

06-01-2012 09:07:13 | More by Steasy66
lurpy1

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

On tap at Republic. Not a style I know terribly well, but I likes me some sours, and the one FRA I had knocked my socks off.

Beautiful, deep red pour. A word to the wise though. Typically this is poured into a goblet, and the ruby red liquid in the goblet makes one look like a wine snob. Be careful where you order this, it might get you on the bidness end of an ass whupping.

Smell is vinegary, citrus, sour cherry, plenty of funk. Nice.

Taste is good, vinegar, apple, cherry. Good stu....wait a minute, what is that? That's a strange taste. Where have I had it before? With steak. Yes. It tastes like A-1! Really! Don't get me wrong, I like A-1, I just don't want to drink a goblet full of it.

Mouthfeel makes for smooth sipping.

Despite the steak sauce sensation I was able to enjoy this beer. But the off putting taste keeps it well short of being great.

03-17-2012 14:01:15 | More by lurpy1
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Had this at iTap in Soulard. From February notes.

Poured into a tulip glass.

A very dark ruby color with a thin 0.5 inch head that is off white and quite dense. It recedes very quickly to a nice ring but leaves some sticky lacing as the beer goes down.

Aroma is delicious. Sweet cherry notes mixed in with some slight vinegar notes. Red wine vinegar notes with some delicious vinous tartness. Slight Chardonnay and white wine note sweetness is also perceived. There is some slight leathery notes with some funk and slight wood character.

The flavor is a winner. THis brew is a delicious Flanders. Sweet cherry notes with nice fruit juice tartness as well. Very balanced. Slight red wine vinegar notes with some apple juice and nice vinous character. The brew is delicious at warmer temps and this was served at the perfect temperature. Very delicious. Not too sour and palette killing but sour enough to be interesting and yummy with some nice sweet undertones to keep it in check. Mouthfeel is fluffy and clean.

Very good sour. One of my favorites in fact.

02-28-2012 01:26:16 | More by JoEBoBpr
Phelps

Arizona

Enjoyed in a snifter at Tops.

Deep, dark copper with good clarity. A thin, light tan layer of large-bubbled head becomes a filmy top layer.

Like white vinegar left inside an oak barrel. A very tart, astringent nose. Oodles of vinegar, hints of caramel and cherries, touches of biscuits and flowers.

Maltier in the flavor. Sweet caramel, tart cherries, a touch of balsamic vinegar. Like a blend of green apple and cherry jolly ranchers. A good balance of sour and sweet.

Moderate, massaging carb and a bit of fizz in a body a shade under medium. Soft tartness.

The sweet and sour of beers. The Duchesse has a nice balance, but it’s not the tops of the style. A good, entry-level Flanders red.

02-18-2012 03:04:59 | More by Phelps
cocoapuph

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This one poured with a quick disappearing head and a brownish-red hue. Smelled of candied cherries and booze. Some scents of sweet red wine comes through as well. Taste is a bit pungent but super sweet. Cherries and sugar, with grapes and red wine. A bit too sweet IMO. Mouth feel is smooth and a bit dry. Liked this but could have been a little more tart/sour to make it awesome.

02-11-2012 05:41:06 | More by cocoapuph
BasementBer

Manitoba (Canada)

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

After a long search through the lambic field, i found the beer for me.
This is a sour beer!

A: off-white frothy head that leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. Ruby red with a hint of brown.

S: You know it when you smell it. Sweet but surprising and not exactly definable. I get grapefruit, but not in the same way as a citrusy hop, its more the mash at play here.

T: my dad hates this and all guezes, but he states it correctly "soak a bag of sour gummy worms" I LOVE GUMMY WORMS. Though that phrase doesnt capture the complexities of citrus, oak, barley and the souring mash; it does explain it all except the artificial chemical flavor of a gummy worm - not present in this treat.

M: The pockets get tingly but again totally unlike that of a double IPA. Fizzy slightly, but smooth on the palate.

O: Anytime I see this beer, i get it. Ive paid too much for it, but thats the cost of mixing two batches together and aging and importing and the rarity, and on and on and on. Great Stuff.

01-18-2012 17:48:40 | More by BasementBer
jbakajust1

Oregon

Poured into a 12oz tear drop @ Bier Stein on my Bday

A - Pours a super clear reddish brown w/ ruby highlights, tan 2 finger thick cap that leaves great lace

S - Smells of musty basement, cherry pie, tart, lemons, lots of Brett funk, plums, balsamic vinegar, apples, biscuits, oak

T - Tastes of sweet cherries, balsamic vinegar, cheery pie, lactic acid, oak, vanilla, Brett funk

M - Light/med body, sweet & sour, clean and dry finish, nice mde/high carbonation.

O - Still impressed, my favorite Flanders, lots of funk, good level of acetic acid, complex, drinkable, touch of oak.

11-29-2011 01:06:18 | More by jbakajust1
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Was very surprised to see that I had not reviewed this previously. On tap at the Hudson Street Stackhouse.

The beer pours a reddish amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is very attractive, showcasing considerable cherry, vanilla, sweet tart and hints of chocolate. As good as this beer smells, it tastes even better. The flavor profile replicates the nose, but the cherry and sweet tart really come on strong. Also, I really like the hint of vanilla, wine and chocolate I'm picking up as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a long, tart, mouth puckering finish.

Just delicious, and probably the best example of how my taste has changed over time. At one time I found this beer barely drinkable, as it was just too sour for me. Now I think the level of sour in this beer is just right, and sometimes think it borders on being too sweet. Regardless, this is an outstanding beer, with an amazing amount of flavor given the 6% abv. This is the beer I think of when I think of a flanders red ale.

11-21-2011 16:21:25 | More by johnmichaelsen
birchstick

Colorado

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A - pours a reddish brown with a really nice looking head sitting atop it

N - nose has vinegar and cherries - good for the style

T - starts off with some tart cherry, but this is quickly overwhelmed by some vinegar flavors. Finishes with cherries and vinegar flavors. Really tasty.

M - full and creamy, goes down smoothly

D - really solid Flanders. I have passed over this beer too many times in the past and will not make that mistake as much as I have. I don't know how to beat this in this style.

11-15-2011 02:11:12 | More by birchstick
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

This delightful Flanders Red Ale was served on tap on 11/11/11 at Beer Geeks in Highland, IN. It was my third beverage on the evening, but by far the best.

Radiating a deep brown-amber hue, the ale was served in flute glass with an inch head. A fruity-sour aroma tickled the nose without much effort. The aroma was quite potent. As with most good sour ales, the taste was potent. A sour fruitness was the immediate impression; this included hints of tart cranberry and raspberry. The sensations continued into the tart and fruity aftertaste. The carbonation was a little more aggressive than I would have expected, but this did not subtract from the experience. Duchesse is a delicious and refreshing experience.

11-13-2011 17:13:06 | More by JohnnyHopps
rarbring

Sweden

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

A clear red ruby beer, a small off-white head, some lacing and good curtains.

The smell is cask y oak, red vinegar, some cured meat and stable.

The taste is sweet, but fresh, fruity, dark bread, red vinegar, some acetic acid notes.

A light carbonation, small foamy bubbles, soft and refreshing, a light sour dry finish.

A very invigorating and well balanced Flemish red ale. This was beer 1000 here at beeradvocate.

11-12-2011 22:48:17 | More by rarbring
Monkeyknife

Missouri

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from the tap a dark purplish-black with a huge creamy tan head. Lots of sticky lacing left behind.

Aroma of dark cherries, earth and an aroma I can only describe as plastic raincoat.

Tart taste of dark cherries, red wine vinegar, fig and candy sugar.

Medium bodied and dry with a moderate carbonation.

I really enjoyed this beer but found that with the tartness, one was enough.

11-06-2011 20:03:49 | More by Monkeyknife
VncentLIFE

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours brown with an inch head. Decent carbonation.

The duchesse has always smelled sweet, like a good wine.

The taste is much more tart than the smell might lead you to believe. The latent sweetness is still there, but a slightly acidic vinegar taste accents the sweetness very well. Body is light as expected. Exhaling produces a metallic grape feeling.

One damn good bier.

10-29-2011 16:55:38 | More by VncentLIFE
shortbus7

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

A: A dark red color with a slight head.

S: Dark cherries, apples, and vinegar.

T: There is so much going on in this beer it's amazing. Dark cherries, apples, red wine vinegar, and malt. This beer is more sweet and tangy than sour.

M: Smooth and slightly puckering.

O: This is a great beer and a great place to start with sours. The taste amazed me. So much going on but nothing became muddled.

10-11-2011 02:04:39 | More by shortbus7
ehammond1

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

A dark ruby and chestnut brown. Nearly no head. Decent lacing down the glass.

Tart sourness, some vinegar, and lots of sweet cherries. The cherries and sweet fruit stand out far more than in other Flanders Reds I've had. A very sweet, though tart and pleasant, aroma.

Taste follows the nose nearly identically. While this is sour, I wish it was even more so, as the cherry sweetness is a bit dominating and makes this beer just a bit too sweet and one note.

Medium bodied and somewhat sharp, though a pleasure to drink.

A great introductory beer for the style, especially for someone who may prefer sweeter beers, but it's a bit too sweet for my personal likings.

08-30-2011 03:16:16 | More by ehammond1
SDDanC

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into tulip from tap at sd toronado. Pours a dark brown with a small bit of amber. Creamy, but thin, egg white head that does not linger very long. Nose is spice, vanilla, and sour yeast. On the tongue it has a very smooth and sweet vanilla taste that coats the mouth. Sourness is subtle but comes out most in the middle then gives way to the vanilla and dark fruits. Mouthfeel is great, comfortable carbonation that compliments the toned down sourness.

Overall, awesome beer, nice switch from the fruity, tart sours

08-12-2011 05:15:28 | More by SDDanC
avaldivia

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

I have a soft spot in my heart for this beer, as it is the beer that got me into sours. On Tap, poured into a Duchesse De Bourgogne glass.

A: Nice light reddish color. Almost pink when held up to the light. Decent head but that disappears fairly quickly.

S: Tart black cherries. Nice tingle of the nose. A lot of people say vinegar, but I just don't get vinegar in this.

T: This is where this brew shines. Tart upfront and lingers for a bit before giving way to to a crisp smooth finish. Tastes linger on the palate, which I really enjoy.

M: Very well carbonated. Light body. about what you would expect. Not overly tart to make your mouth pucker.

O: it is thanks to this beer that I like sours, and it is still probably the one I buy most often.

07-27-2011 15:38:30 | More by avaldivia
Klym

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Had on-tap at The Rake in London. Review from notes.

A: Pours a malt-vinegar esque deep red/brown with a respectable head. Appearance is complex and intriguing.

S: Smells of grape and cherry sweetness with a vinegary sting to it. Smells like it might be rather biting.

T: Wow. I've had Duchesse a couple of times from the bottle before and this is just totally different. In my previous experiences the vinegar dominated and the sweetness was a little hard to dig out. This time, the highest quality of sweet grapeskins beautifully layered the taste throughout, with small hints of other fruits like rich cherry. A vinegarish bite came toward the end but added a sort of crispness and fighting spirit to the taste. Really lovely.

M: Great mouthfeel; an excited carbonation with a viscocity that makes it run throughout your mouth at the appropriate rate and with just the right feel for the proper taste experience.

O: Having this on tap really caught me off guard and made me realize the dangers posed by getting this post international shipping. This is an awesome beer and already well worth getting in a bottle-- getting it on tap is a must if its available to you. Hats off to the Duchesse de Bourgogne.

06-26-2011 22:54:44 | More by Klym
broken22

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Oh Duchesse. She is a beer that I had kept playing hard to get with. I would see her at the beer store and think about but never acted. I even held here a couple of times to only put her back. So when I finally had the chance to get a glass on tap I decided it was time to meet her.

This beer is a nice red amber color. The head on this beer is very tight little micro bubbles and white. This beer is very fragrant. Taking a sniff an you will know right away that this is going to be a sour beer. I'm not an expert on sour beers so I cannot really elaborate on smell other than sour. The taste really surprised me. I was totally expecting something awful. This beer has a really nice flavor that is only exemplified by the sourness. It has a very nice fruity taste. The brewery describes it as passion fruit and I will just agree to that. The overall mouthfeel is nice and light with a dry finish.

I am not a sour chaser and I really thought I would never find a sour beer that I really liked. Duchesse won me over on the first sip. Its complex flavor is completely masked by the smell. It's like the durian fruit of beer. While I'm sure its still not for everyone I think if your curious you should try a glass.

06-19-2011 04:37:39 | More by broken22
WeezyBoPeep

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Enjoyed a little goblet of this on tap at The Imperial on Orange, Orlando FL.

A: Deep crimson with a smooth, excellent tan head.

S: Red wine vinegar, cherry juice and fresh dough.

T: Follows the smell exactly with a welcome sweetness and a tart finish. Hints of cane juice and sour apples.

D: I don't see how anyone could call this undrinkable.

05-18-2011 01:48:28 | More by WeezyBoPeep
Tucquan

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Had this on 2011-04-20 in Lititz, PA at the Bull's Head and 2013-06-14 at Minnesota Town Hall Tap.

A - Dark, ruby red that is transparent enough for light to wrap around the edges. It has a 1-finger light tan head and good lacing. Just beautiful.

S - Characteristic lactic-sour yeast, dried cherry and mild malt.

T - Sweet cherry and sour of course with a wine/oak-barrel flavor. Oak. Funk. Not like a Russian River Supplication but quite nice.

M - Medium body and light carbonation. Syrupy.

O - A beginner's sour IMHO. Not as sweet as a Lindemans by any means. Good variety of flavors with decent balancing sourness. Sue liked it at Minnesota Town Hall Tap.

04-21-2011 14:56:39 | More by Tucquan
TagOnlyForNow

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

I wish that I liked wine. But I will be more than happy settling on being a beer snob. This beer tastes like what I wish a good wine would taste like. Fruity with the sour flavor. Does not produce a head which makes it feel more like a wine or specialty mead or barley wine.

I love this beer. It is my new vice. It has removed me from all of the Belgian Heffes/Whites.

04-04-2011 04:16:56 | More by TagOnlyForNow
Brabander

Netherlands

3.65/5  rDev -12%

I drank this beer purely by coincidence this evening. I went for a walk in the town where i live and i saw my cousin Barry in a bar. Went in and got this beer from him.

From tap in the original glass the beer does not look spectacular. A deep darkred colour and the head disappears very fast. No carbonation visible.

Smell has some sourness but not unpleasant. The taste is like a sour ale, not my style but reasonable drinkable.

03-30-2011 20:24:39 | More by Brabander
BeerForMuscle

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

A - Medium brown toned body with a foamy beige one finger head.

S - Tangy and tart, also fruity and fresh. Some grainy scents are there too.

T - Alot of fruit tartness like cherries and possible red grape/apple. This beer is also acidic and has wine like qualities. The alcohol is smooth and crisp. The back of the tongue gets some wood aftertaste and the beer has some sour dryness to it as well.

M - Very effervescent and clean mouthfeel. The beer has a lighter-medium body and is very smooth and refreshing.

Notes - I enjoy sours and this is one of my favorites of the type. Its always good, easy to drink and just an overall quality choice.

03-08-2011 05:23:44 | More by BeerForMuscle
Chizoad

Interesting and happy I tried this. Cool bartender gave me a half glass on the house as the keg kicked.

Red, clear, very pretty in the glass. Decent head with good retention on the lacing.

The first thing that I picked up was some funk, then maybe cherries and sugar. But primarily musty funk and ... salt?

Tastes quite different than it smells. Sweet up front, cherries and a little tartness to finish. Some weed on the exhalation out of the nose. Grew on me throughout the glass. Not a crisp beer by any stretch.

Light body, not overly carbonated. Quite drinkable but a sipper nonetheless.

03-06-2011 03:19:51 | More by Chizoad