Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
Wasatch

Utah

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a dark brown/black color, nice carbonation, lots of lacing throuhout the drink. Scents of grapes, sour/tarty, and caramel. I like the taste, tarty/sour, carbonated, reminds me of a wine, but more to my liken (not a wine drinker at all). Medium body. Very drinkable, this is my first Flanders Red Ale. Totally blew my mind when opened and took my first sip. Would highly recommend to people, will definitely buy again.

12-10-2005 01:20:30 | More by Wasatch
scruffwhor

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured a light, red wine color with a hint of brown. Smelled a bit like red wine, but with a slight hop nuance and cherry lambic tartness. Tasted very sour, this was my first Flanders Red Ale, so I didn't know what to expect. Reminded of a cherry lambic, something I would have after dinner with a tart torte. Could also taste some winey grape notes as well. Mouthfeel was light but with an unexpected tartness, I wouldn't have more than one of these 750ml bottles in a day.

12-07-2005 01:42:07 | More by scruffwhor
davidchollar

Washington

2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

i gotta admit, i don't think i am advanced enough as far as palates are concerned. this beer confuses me. when i smell it and sip, i wonder what am i drinking? it's unlike anything i've had before, but it reminds me of too many other things.

looks good, nice mahogany with beige head and lots of lacing. the smell is abrasive. my first thought is nail polish remover, that ruins it for me, i can hardly think of anything else other than vinegar and a hint of barbecue sauce, i guess if i dig deep i can smell malts. it's not that bad though, a lot going on so almost good to sniff.

tastes like disgusting, cheap,low-alcohol wine. funny thing, if you drink it without smelling at all, like holding your breath, it just tastes like grape juice. if you breathe in and take a whiff you get a complex taste with a range of flavors all the way to the slightly bitter finish, but for me it is overall dominated by a sickening sweetness. i taste skittles, runts, willy wonka candies galore.

i have been living in japan for a few years now, so my sugar intake is minimal. this might be the cause of my revolting reaction to anything more than a little sweet. i don't know anything about this style of beer, but compared to everything else i've had, i thought this was gross and not worth $5 for a small bottle.

12-02-2005 15:11:59 | More by davidchollar
Frozensoul327

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

A very unique and complex brew. Poured out to a dark brown / almost black color that turned burgandy when held to the light. Medium level of carbonation produced an exceptionally dense foamy head. Some notes of lace. Aromas of fermented apples, mature grain, and some sweet bourbon on the nose. Different, yet not unplesant. Taste is unlike any Flanders Red Ale I have previously had, or any beer for that matter. Very similar to a well rounded sweet red wine; flavors of mature dark fruit, sweet caramel, tart sugar, very sweet malt and a touch of worscheshire toward the finish. Very complex and enjoyable. Mouthfeel is again very wine like, with some carbonation that adds a demention that brings to mind a pink champagne. A good level of drinkability. This is not my favorite style of beer, but I could sure see this in my fridge again soon. I look forward to introducing my wine loving friends to this. Highly Recommended for the style.

11-27-2005 20:37:33 | More by Frozensoul327
buckiflyer

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from bottle. Another sampling with my father when he was in town. Appearance: dark amber color, lots of carbination bubbles, little to no head, champainge like. Smell: sweet and fruity. Taste: again sweet and fruity smooth finish, there are so many flavors going on I can't explain it. Mouthfeel good. A winner, this is beeer?! Try it if you want to see where beer can go.

11-25-2005 21:59:08 | More by buckiflyer
Mitchster

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours out to a sparkingly clear deep ruby, forming an expanding plumage of soapy khaki bubbles. No yeast in the bottle or in the glass. Carbonation is initially brisk and forms spiral streamers contributing to the effervescent head. The aroma is just amazing...malt vinegar and vanilla interspersed with wonderfully fruity esters....rotting bing cherries, light amber malts, apples, pineapple, and when swirled, apricot, prunes, chocolate syrup, and pink bubble gum scream out. As it warms, an exceptional amount of vanilla (literally boatloads) makes itself known, becoming the dominant note in the mix. Retention is amazing and lacing is delicate yet solid. The taste is exactly as it smells....sweet, but not sickeningly so...more than enough to overpower the acidity with lingering aftertastes of pineapple and bubble gum. Lightly dry in the finish with just a touch of metals. As it warms, tobacco and leather become the overwhelming aftertaste. Alcohol is apparent just as a peppery flourish. The mouthfeel is wonderful with a medium body. Very easy to drink, although I could see the sweetness wearing thin for some, as it has an almost saccharin character to it. This is a real treat, although more of a dessert drink. I'm glad I bought a 4-pack and not the bomber. This is one of the finest Flemish Red's/Brown I've had (very different next to old-school Goudenband). An exceptional, exceptional beer. I will be drinking much more of this. Highly recommended, particularly with creme brulee.

11-14-2005 22:24:36 | More by Mitchster
bubrewer

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

I first tried the Duchess about 2 years ago and was not impressed. It was like drinking a glass full of cider vinegar. I tried her again today and found a completely different experience.

I brought out a pair of new goblets and made sure they were as beer-clean as I can get them. I sat my BMC drinking brother in law down to expanded his horizons. He had read about those crazy Belgians that just let whatever is in the air ferment their beer, so I brought out the Duchess to give him one idea about which they were talking.

This time the Duchess was in a much better mood. Deep ruby red, and brilliantly clear. I see no sediment so I assume this is not bottle conditioned. Although she had some expected tartness, it did not scream (or even hint) "cider vinegar!" like the last time. This time she was full of stone fruits, apples, a little barnyard, some sherry, and just a wonderful experience all around.

I will certainly not shy away from her any more, and am sorry I have
stayed away so long. I should listen to what I tell my kids - even if
you don't like something once, try it again once in a while because
things can change.

11-07-2005 17:37:00 | More by bubrewer
Stimack

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Had this on tap the other night while at Marhars. The brew was dark brown with a red like tinge to the color. Had a smallish head of tan bubbles that clung to the sides of the glass leaving some fain lacing down the sides of the brew. Before I really even try to take a whiff of the brew I can notice a sour like smell to it. On a deeper whiff of the brew, I notice fruit like smells that seem to blend or lead to the sour aroma. I believe that the fruit smell is of apple and/ or cherries but am not 100% positive. The taste is somewhat sweet with a clear sour flavor that goes nice with the malt backbone and spicy finish. Over all this is a great brew for people that like this type. For me I can usually handle about one before the sourness starts to get to me but I would and will get this brew again

11-05-2005 17:40:00 | More by Stimack
sacfly

Maryland

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Best before 08-06-06 printed on the back label.

Pours a dark ruby brown color. Thin head of tan bubbles. Smell is a balance of sour and sweet apple.

Taste is…wow… almost creamy sour apple candy flavor. Slight tart cherry. Aftertaste is mildly sweet with that sweet tart twang.

What took me so long to try this? Not at all what I expected, but something that I will keep around for a nice change of pace.

10-30-2005 01:22:58 | More by sacfly
GreenWBush

Oregon

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

Blood red in the glass with dark brown highlights. A modest head.

Slightly vinegary on the nose with hints of cherries and sour apple. Oak characteristics appear later.

The taste of this beer is understandably devisive. Sour, funky, and amazingly champaign-like in alot of ways. Sourness builds up in the bottom of the palate in a strangely addictive way. Oak is strong by the end.

A tasty detour from my usual...

10-29-2005 19:49:15 | More by GreenWBush
grindcore666

1.13/5  rDev -72.8%

A union of red and black beneath roasted marshmallow foam.

Aroma is of eggnog, sweet and sour sauce, and vinegarrrr. This is one of those occasions where I'm absolutely certain that's what I'm smelling. But...I'm disgusted by it.

After taking a sip: feels like a cherry cola before I sense the taste. A sharp, sweet, super sour cherry sensation escapes nasally. Sugar up the ying yang. Thick vinegar overdrive. Gross.

Carbonation. Carbonation. More carbonation. It's a super carbonated cherry cola with a tang. I think this one was too much for me: overly sweet and funky. Couldn't finish it. Awful.

10-21-2005 02:10:12 | More by grindcore666
OStrungT

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

This beer pours a ruby red with out much head at all. I saw a little off white head for just a second, but then nothing. This beer looks sort of like wine. This beer smells of sour fruit. Cranberries, cherries, and even a slight hint of apples. This beer smells very much like wine. This beer tastes sour, with strong fruit flavors. Like the aroma suggeste, I taste cranberries, and cherries. I dont detect too much in the way of hops. This beer is not very carbonated at all. It goes down smooth leaving a sour fruity aftertaste. This beer tastes slightly like wine. I think this beer would be a good session beer, if you can handle all the sour fruit. I am glad to have had the opportunity to try this unique ale.

EDIT 9 NOV 2007

Wow, after over 2 years, I am surprised at my review. I love this beer now, and I love the style. How could I have given it such a low review. I am going to rereview it once I drink another one.

10-20-2005 22:12:39 | More by OStrungT
JohnfromDublin

Ireland

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Tasted on tap in Café Gollem, Amsterdam on 16th October 2005.
Saw this on tap, and had to try it.

I have reviewed a Flanders red ale before (Bourgogne des Flandres) and quite liked it, but this offering surpassed it. Appearance was typical red/brown ale with a little haze and a thin off-white head.

Smell was fairly complex; lots of things going on. Taste was less sweet and sour than BdesF and much more complex. This was a very enjoyable experience, so I repeated it!

10-19-2005 18:25:51 | More by JohnfromDublin
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

A brownish beer with hints of red. Aromas of cranberry, cherry, and sour raspberry. An interesting interplay of sweet and sour flavors, but it lacked some of the complexity, especially the vinegar notes, that are found in the Rodenbach Grand Cru. It lost it’s way a little on the finish too. Still good, just not fantastic.

10-18-2005 21:21:03 | More by fisherman34
mac56

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Sample brought to me from Belgium by my sister, bless her heart.

Lovely ruby red appearance with an effervescent head that settled down to stay,

Slightly cidery aroma.

Taste: wow. Just wow. This bad boy's got a tang. Cidery and tart, with a slightly creamy mouthfeel. The tang clears the flavor away off the back of the tongue, clearing the path for the next swallow.

A special occasion beer, to be sure. I don't think I could drink more than one of these a night, but I can see doing just that sitting by a roaring fire in January sometime.

10-13-2005 00:43:11 | More by mac56
amatuerbeerguy

Oklahoma

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

poured out ruby red color, off white head with lasting and lacing head retention. soured fruit, raison, floral, mulled wine aroma. some cherry, tangy, tart, sour, red wine flavors. moderate bodied with high carbonation. overall a nicely sour, tangy drink for the palate to dissect

10-02-2005 22:33:24 | More by amatuerbeerguy
WetCoaster

2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

Appearance: An even mix of garnet and brown, crystal clear, with a fizzy, yet rocky and firm tan head. Good retention and surprisngly sticky lace. Beautiful color, real stunner.

Smell: Wow, all over the place. Malt sweetness, yeasty, funky, woody, ripe cherry fruitiness, vinous, musty barnyard -- a real marvel, this. Wow.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Uh... yikes. Very, very, very sweet -- almost like Malta soda, if you've ever spent any time in Latin America or Miami -- while at the same time sour like a cherry Pez. But oddly, they don't seem to blend at all, it's two distinct flavors. In fact, this tastes exactly like a carbonated 10-year-old balsamic vinegar. Yeah, that's it -- dead-on. The mouthfeel, on the other hand, is the picture of normalcy, medium bodied, moderately carbonated, if a bit sticky.

Drinkability: I'll be the first to admit this is not a style with which I've had much experience. So while this may or may not be a stellar example of the style, it's something I simply do not like. Novel, but not something I'll be back for any time soon.

09-22-2005 20:16:42 | More by WetCoaster
Px2GrafX

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

presentation: 11.2oz. bottle with a black label on the front displaying a rennaisance painting of what is assumed to be the duchesse de bourgogne. she has a bird on her finger. a lot of belgian text. "flemish art of brewing" on top of label. 6.2%abv is displayed and there is a best before date of: 17-03-06. the back label says this is "blended with between 8 and 18 month old beers following careful maturation in oak casks".

appearance: pours a deep dark red with a light tan head in a tulip glass. beautiful ruby read highlights and looks a lot like a less opaque red wine. head is a nice 1" fluffy head that drops to a patchy capper after a few minutes. laces very well.

smell: first smell is sour and wine-like. woody and there are some other fruit aromas. grapes and cherries. lightly spicy aroma typical of a lot of belgians.

taste: sour cherries overlying a lightly woody undertone. champagne-like flavors as well. not much hop bitterness. caramelly sweet mixes with champagne and wine and bready flavors. quite a lot going on here. finish is sweet and sour and inviting.

mouthfeel: very creamy medium-heavy body. surprising. very smooth with a silky smooth swallow. carbonation balances the smoothness well. excellent mouthfeel.

drinkability: drinkability is good but seems to be more of a sipper. alcohol is well hidden. taste and finish make this an inviting drink, but the champagne-like creamy mouthfeel and sourness slows the drinking down a bit. slow drinking, but very easy to drink.

overall: this is an amazing red ale. i have to get some more of this. i wonder how it will change over a year. nice sweet and sour flavors remind me of what a fruit beer should taste like. complex now and maybe even more so after laying down. a must try.

09-19-2005 02:33:45 | More by Px2GrafX
EMV

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

This is a pretty impressive Red Ale out of Belgium that I picked up at a SAQ (gotta love that place) on a whim, and is definitely a nice spicy alternative to whatever you normally drink. This one pours a rich dark reddish/brown with about an inch of creamy head that fell fairly quickly, leaving a great lace. The aroma is tart, yeasty, and very sharp, giving a great prelude as to what the beer is going to be like.

The taste itself is excellent and complex, with both sweet and sour flavours vying for dominance. There's a fruity touch there, and a smooth aftertaste that really rate this one high on the drinkability. It's one to be sipped and savored rather than gulped, and the ample carbonation is also very pleasant. Like I said before, I would definitely recommend this as an alternative to your regularly scheduled brew on one of those nights you need something a little more spicy.

09-14-2005 02:03:58 | More by EMV
Beertracker

Oklahoma

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

Duchesse de Bourgogne should be served at (47-53F) from a traditional tumbler or logo goblet. This lady has plenty to offer even the pickiest of beer lovers. DDB pours up very nicely with plenty of Belgian lace. The translucent burgundy-brown body is offset beautifully by a fluffy, cream colored head. The nose is full of fruity complexity and sweet malty undertones. The classic Flanders aroma also has a subtle oak character, some oxidation and lots of noteable sourness. Hints of aged Balsamic vinegar, cordial cherries, fresh green apples, hot caramel fudge and creamy vanilla pudding come to mind. The first sip creates an initial sourness upon the palate that seems to shock every taste bud on the tongue! Once the acidity fades, then sweet caramel, roasted almond, spiced rum, and raisiny malt flavors emerge intermingled with the sourness. The finish is decidely tart, dry (oaky & tannic) and slightly spicy. The medium-full body is alive with a zesty carbonation that creates a creamy texture despite itself. This Flanders Red Ale is surprisingly smooth & drinkable. I highly recommend that you seek out some of this "Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry" of the beer world on tap. Enjoy DDB as an apertif or as a after dinner treat paired with bread pudding, cheesecake, creme brulee, flan or fresh orchard fruit & nuts.

CHEERS! Beertracker

09-05-2005 05:10:29 | More by Beertracker
RidiculedDisplay

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

Was my first Flanders Red, and I can say this is undoubtedly one of the most unique styles of beer I've ever tasted. Just completely in its own dimension. That being said, different also meant complex and wonderful in this instance. Pours a very deep, deep red with hints of oaky brown. Aroma is of bourbon-soaked wood, tart apple, apricot, date, grapes, dark cherry. Taste begins with tart apple, transforming into a almost tropical note, and then ending on a distinctive kick of bourbon or finer whiskey. Wow. Mouthfeel is bubbly, slightly astringent but pleasantly so. Suprisingly drinkable as well. Overall one of my favorite finds of the year.

08-31-2005 03:15:33 | More by RidiculedDisplay
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%

In the honor of the Duchess of Burgundy, a unique sweet and sour taste emerges in ale form- an unfailing choice for the curious palate to venture into the sour family, but with the malty-sweet support and a rich fruit flavor to balance its acidity. Its utmost complexity and refreshment is reserved for those who refine their palate but are tentative about sourness.

This Flanders red ale's tawny pour of browns, reds, and haze carry an inherent wine-like, cognac appearance that's shyly adorned with the daintiest of foam stance which It's similar to delicate coffee-like creme.

The nose is met with complex and succulent character that remind that strikes the olfactory senses with balsamic, chocolate, black cherry, weathered wood, soy sauce, red wine, and sherry wine. The sweet and sour interplay seems something much more of French reductions or Chinese cuisine than it does of beer.

Flavors are a dynamic sweet and sour interplay of to tart berries, mild toast but more so of vinous wine, savory umami character, lemon-like acidity,- its sour and savory combination can go on and on. Every point of flavor has a counterpart to balance, which carry the beer across the palate with a multitude of intrigue and wonderment.

Medium bodied, but the beer's tepid but acidic sourness makes the beer seem somberly tart while the succulent cherry and cocoa allow for a soft weight to be felt. Its moderate carbonation allows the beer to seep into the softer mouth tissues for fuller flavor but also ushers in a dry woodsy finish of crab apples with mild vinegary astringency.

Well balanced throughout, but the beer's sweeter and fruitier side buffers against any abrupt sourness which gives it a restrained property that not only challenges the palate, but soothes it with ample wine sweetness and toasty malts.

08-25-2005 15:36:21 | More by BEERchitect
SkeeterHawk

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Very clear rich Red color with about an inch of loose tanish foam at first pour. There are quite a few bubbles rising that maintain the head pretty well. There is some loose lacing around the glass after consuming.

Aroma: You can definitely smell a "woody" character to this beer. There are bunches of dark fruits in the aroma of this one. I can smell fig, black cherry, and plums initially. I may be imagining this, but it is almost like I smell sour green apples here also. The aroma is really complex!

Taste: The flavor is also really complex, but with this example, it doesn't match the aroma that much. It somehow starts of syrupy sweet with a bit of astringency, and then this fades to let the sour in to play for the finish. Your palate is left mostly dry with a slightly sweet and earthy finish. There is a little bit of warming from the alcohol that is noticeable deep in the throat, but the complexity of the flavor makes it easy to miss. The carbonation is just right to send this beer across your palate without hitting it too hard.

Opinion: This is a mighty fine beer! It is a bit sweet for my taste, and I am assuming that it was added to make the beer more appealing to the masses. There is definitely a sour component to the beer, and it manages to maintain a woody character. This is a beer that I would have often if it was available in my area, but at the same time, it isn't one that I would have too many of. I'd definitely recommend it!

08-18-2005 23:25:58 | More by SkeeterHawk
Gritsak

West Virginia

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

A- deep brown with a thick head. when held up to the light a brillant red body shows through

S- sweet, fruity aroma that is very similar to wine.

T- again very sweet and fruit taste. high carbonation makes it almost like a sparkling wine. this beer was like nothing ive ever tasted.

M- medium body with high carbonation. not to thick but enough to let you feel it.

D- while the taste is extremely unique and pleasent, i couldnt imagine drinking this all night due to the sweetness.

overall- WOW. very suprised by my first flanders red ale. nothing like i ever would have expected. nothing like any other beer ive had. im looking forward to trying other beers of the same style to compare.

08-18-2005 05:13:09 | More by Gritsak
yelterdow

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Finally tasted this one after putting it off week after week. Served in the Duvel tulip at just above fridge temperature.

Appearance- Pours the color of raspberry iced tea with a smooth, creamy one-finger head. Settles to a thin mat after a few minutes.

Smell- Barnyard funk and sour cherries with an underlying sweetness.

Taste- Starts off like full flavored sour bubble gum, and finishes with an almost artificial sweetness. Candy ice cream. Awesome big taste, but the lingering aftertaste reminds me of Red Bull. That is not good.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Chewy and mouth-coating, smooth carbonation. A bit rough towards the end, with explosive activity towards the back of the throat. Aside from the saccharin-like notes in the taste, this is a decent Flanders sour ale that is readily available here.

08-17-2005 23:46:01 | More by yelterdow