Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

pours a mahogany color with a big, frothy, ivory head. great lacing. the nose is sourness, oak, alcohol spice. Wow! the taste! great sour tartness! oak characteristics, alcohol, sour raspberries. medium bodied, high frizzy carbo, sour candy finish. A great sour ale!

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

25.4oz bottle best before June 09. Drank this with dinner and after last night

A: Pours a deep crimson with a soft one-finger light brown head.

S: A blend of vinegar and oaky sweetness, this one is simple but still delicious. I don't care much for the sweeter Flanders Reds but this is one that impressed me

T: Starts off mildly sour and vinegary before a pleasing sweetness takes over. Finishes with a hint of oak and a little dry

M: Well carbonated, fullish in body, almost like a dessert-wine but solid

D: I enjoyed my bottle and will drink this again and soon

I can't believe that only a few days after reading about this brew here on BA, I found it on tap at La Cav du Vin here in Cleveland. Having moved here a month ago, I was worried about finding good sour flemish ale. Apparently there is no need to worry, as the Cleveland beer scene, whether it's good bars or good brewpubs, is alive and VERY well. I used to live in Providence (Union Station, Trinity), so I've got something decent to compare to if you include Boston (Sunset, Beer Works) and New England (Moat Mountain, Vermont Pub & Brewery, The Alchemist) in general.
OK, so I at least think I know what I'm talking about...

I definitely smelled balsamic vinegar, but not overpowering at all. Just a hint of that dark, sweet acid.
Very little foam, unsurprisingly for a sour.
Smooth mouth feel, with a nice subtle tingle of carbonation.
Taste of balsamic, caramel, cherries.
Lightly sweet, perfectly balancing the sourness.

Wow.

I would say this is a great intro to sours, but the imbiber may be spoiled. Truly sour reds might shock them after this.

Fortunately, I also discovered this in a four-pack at Warehouse Beverage on Mayfield Road. Sixteen bucks will make me wait until my next (first!!) paycheck.

Peace.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Nice mahogony color with a creamy off white head. Nice lacing. Smell of sour cherries domminates. As it warms the smell gets richer and fuller as the oak flavors kick in and it slips almost into wine territory. Taste is just so full and rich, tons of sour fruit backed by oak. You should definately not drink this one too cold. Creamy medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall I rate this one in the excellent category, not quite world class but close. You just don't want this one to end.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer poured a very nice reddish brown with an excellent white head. The smell was of yeast and tart cherries. The taste was sweet and tart. Full of red berries in the flavor. Sour cherries was the dominant flavor of this beer. Mouthfeel was good. Drinkability was also very nice. Overall this was a very nice beer. I enjoyed this beer a great deal because of the flavors.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance - A bit murky for the style. lots of brown puddles with amber waves flowing throughout. good two finger head with nice lacing.

Smell - Musty, Earthy, some vinegar funk, with a touch of candy.

Taste - Its a very subtle oud bruin by comparison to others. If your in the mood for subdued pucker then this is a good selection.

Mouthfeel - Good amount of carbonation helped this one from being mediocre in the mouthfeel department. With the brew being such a murky mix itself, the carbonation really saves it.

Drinkability - Easy drinking for the style but not the easiest style for all to drink. Its my favorite style so I'm a bit biased. I'll give it a 4.0 to be fair.

The 750ml only set me back about $8.00 in a local store so its a good oud bruin at a fair price.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark red mahogany with a substantial head that dissipates slowly leaving trails of lace behind.

Sweet and sour cherry nose.

Crisp, yet smooth, refreshing and complex. These Flanders Red Ales are such a joy on warm days.

Very drinkable and enjoyable, just a notch behind Rodenbach.

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Review #200. Thanks to Goliath for the amazing hookup of this brew. Poured into a tulip and I am amped.

A: Pours a very dark red, almost brown. Once I hold the tulip up to the light, there is not doubt that this lady is red. A beautiful dark, murky red. The head was slightly off white, and I got a little over two fingers on the pour. The head receeded slowly down to a white ring that is very thick and lasting. The lacing is sticky and soapy. Spotty lacing designs casually laze about the glass. Just damned beautiful.

S: The scent of this baby is very nice. Cranberries, strawberries, and raspberries. Berries everywhere. Grapes?! This smells a bit like a merlot when you swirl the glass. Just an interesting combo. As this puppy slowly warms, you get the scent of some thick caramel. Sweet and sour overall for the aroma profile.

T: So damned tasty. This beer gets better as it airs out and warms up. Initially just some sour cranberry flavors kept me entertained. As it slowly warms, more and more sour fruit come out. Strawberries show their face along with some raspberry. There is also some plum in there. All of the fruitiness is sour, but perfectly sour. Nothing too crazy, just perfect on the way down. There is a slight hint of vinegar but nothing overwhelming. As it warms even more, caramel and a bit of breadiness comes in to round out the flavors. This brew is amazing.

M: Medium in body. This beer has a very sour and tart feel. It really challenges the taste buds. It lingers all around the mouth and really lets you enjoy everything it has to offer. There is absolutely zero hint of ABV. This brew really coats the mouth witha thick, almost syrupy texture. The amazing thing about this brew is just how long it lingers. Just perfect in feel.

D: This beer is amazing. I want more and I find myself nursing this because I don't want it to end. I could easily drink this in a couple gulps but that would be a waste. The Smell, Taste and Feel are all great. This brew is great. If I ever run across some, I will buy at least half a case. This brew is so dynamic. Loving it.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reddish brown body with a tan head and many strands of carbonation bubbles. About a finger of tan head that doesn't boast a lot of retention, but does leave a little bit of lacing.

Smells like grapes. Sour bordering on vinegar aromas.

Taste is great. Very balanced, very mild. Some like, tart fruitiness up front that reminds me of sweet cherries and grapes. Some sourness follows up but doesn't overpower. Hints of oak are noticeable throughout, especially in the finish.

Mouthfeel is very light and thin. Not too mouth-puckering, but just a little sour.

I could drink this beer all night. I'd even consider shelling out a lot of cash for a case of this stuff.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

A: red with thin white head that holds with good lacing.

S: Oaky and deep with caramel notes and a fruitiness. Smoky Vanilla from the oak and butterscotch as well.

T/M: Nice creamy mouthfeel with carb level. Taste is malty and caramely up front giving weight to raspberry fruitiness and acidic funk, with the vanilla smoky oakyness coming through on finish alongwith a maple sugar sweetness.

Ovr: Very nice red ale.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

A - dark, murky amber/red color with only a slight head.

S - slightly fruity - like a bit of cherry/raspberry/strawberry - and slightly sour with a hint of lovely funk.

T/M/D - wow, is this something special! The cherry/raspberry/strawberry flavor is there, but it not in a overly sweet or syrupy way at all - more sour, but not aggressively so. The beer also has a texture - it feels and tastes thick and creamy but not heavy. Amazing! I've had this on tap once before buying a bottle, and the bottled version tastes exactly the same! Outstanding stuff.

i bought a case of Duchesse De Bourgogne bottles in emmaus pa, at shangys. i love Flemish red ale and this is the perfect example of Flemish red. its refreshing and tastes great. its not the strongest of beers but the taste makes up for that. there is nothing to complain about with this beer. its distributed well in America and is not too hard to find. if anyone sees this beer and is curious as to what a good red ale tastes like, try it!

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

This is my first Flemish red, and my god I think I'm in love.
A= Deep Red color, closer to a burgundy.
S= an incredible amount of Fruitiness, but not over power like you get in lambics.
T= I can honestly say that parts of the flavor are completely indescribable to me. I taste the sour notes, but then the fruit comes in and malts follow it and then finally the funk I have heard so much about. It's final I'm a convert.
Mouth feel= Very bubbly but light on the tongue.

Drink ability= When I first really go into beer, it took me awhile to get used to the concept of wanting a bitter beer. It was contrary to my nature, but the sour and funk of this beer has pulled me in almost immediately. A highly drinkable beer, and I'm glad I picked it as my first Flemish.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours deer ruby brown color, small off white head lasts a while.

Scent of sweet, sour cherries and some yeast.

Taste of sweet cherries, tart initially with some bready yeast coming in as it warms a bit. Cherry flavor does not let down and yeast balances it nicely.

Moutfheel is very clean, but quite tart and biting.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a nice brownish red with decent white head. Good flemish sour fruit nose, with some oaky scent. Slight oak flavor, strong flemish taste with mild sourness and good dark sour fruit taste. Mouthfeel is nice and crisp with ample carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, but there is a sort of chalky acidity that I am not a big fan of. I notice it in all flemish reds, but particularly strong in this one. A very good example of the style, and one I will revisiit when craving some flem.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Along with the Monk's Sour Ale, this beer was my introduction to Flanders Reds. I was intrigued to go back and try one again.

Pours a moderately opaque brown with just a hint of dark purple. A thin tan head sticks around nicely.

Sour fruits, mostly cherries and maybe some green apple combined with a nice bready yeast.

Taste is delicious, with a bit of fruity sweetness in the front which rolls into a nice sour tang. Cherry sweetness come back in the finish. Excellent, if perhaps a tiny bit too sweet.

Mouthfeel has a modest pucker with nice medium carbonation.

An easy drinker for the style. The extra sweetness makes this more sessionable than most Flanders Reds.

HV

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a gorgeous clear ruby color, big dense sand-colored head fades very slowly, leaves a nice foamy layer on top of the beer, and lots of lacing on the glass. Smell is sour cherries and green apples. Very tart taste, sour like the skin on a green apple, slight vinegar taste. Tight carbonation, but still pretty creamy, especially as it warms. This is my first of the style, and I'm certainly intrigued. Definitely not an everyday drinker, but very tasty, and something I'd have again in a heartbeat.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

A - Dark ruby red in color, almost a mahogany brown. One finger foamy off white head. Average retention and good lacing.

S - A strong vinegar aroma with hints of sweet dark fruits. Also a faint aroma of the wood barrels it was aged in.

T - The vinegar taste is not near as strong, but it is still present. Very sweet taste of dark fruits with a bitter finish. Very unique taste.

M/D - Medium bodied and somewhat over carbonated. A very unique style but rather drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a very nice dark copper/garnet color, a little shiny, that turned to more of a brown/garnet color later as the beer diminished in the glass, with great head and lacing. very nice sour and slightly fruity aroma. it has a great tart/sour flavor, a little fruity, that (with each drink) started sweet, turned slightly bitter, and became a nice mix at the end. Very smooth, just a bit of roughness at the end. Excellent beer.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - poured a transparent burgundy red with 1" off-white creamy head that clung to the tulip glass and laced well. Excellent head retention.

S - sour fruits like green apples and cherries, some fresh berries, with a white zinfandel-like tartness and very slight alcohol. Fruity and deep, some ripe grape notes and caramel malts.

T - very different from what I've ever had! Tart cherries and apples, puckering sweetness, an acidic finish with slight bitterness as that found in wine in the finish as well. Lingering fruity and acidic aftertaste.

M/D - medium bodied and well carbonated. Although it is not thick or syrupy, it can definitely be enjoyed as a sipper before or after dinner.

Overall - I bought this one on sale at Beers of the World for $10/4 pack (regularly $22 I think), still before the freshness date. I was slightly apprehensive to try it, seeing as I've never had a Flanders/Flemish Red Ale before but I was quite surprised by its tastiness and drinkability. It is a most interesting beer. It's like a blend of a Belgian dark ale and a cherry lambic with high levels of tartness. Well balanced and will entice the adventurous palate. Beauty in a very different beer. I could drink this all day.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a bright yet dark ruby. Big white head.

Aroma is full of berries and honey. Better than other sours I've had. Not too acidic.

Taste is sour but not puckeringly so. Berries and sweetness with sour. Very candy-like. Think tangy berry-apple cider.

Mouthfeel is nice. Big and fluffy carbonation.

This was still one of my first belgian sour ales and so far the only one I liked. It reminded me of lambic. Very drinkable.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance is dark brown (maybe it is too dark in the room to see any redness), average head with good lacing.

Quite acidic smell, vinegar like. Flavour at first is very fruity with limited sourness - but not as much as I expected from the aroma. Leaves satisfying and slightly sweet aftertaste. Creamy and pleasant mouthfeel with more than average carbonation. Very complex and interesting beer.

I picked this beer at random and now I am extremely satisfied about my choice. Certainly will drink this beer again.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Tan brown color with a purple grape juice-like tone when held to the light. Off white sticky head. Smells vinegary, sour, and acidic. It really shines in flavor though. Has an apple cider-like sweetness but not overly sugary as it has a bready malt to match and a sourness that puckers the sides of the tongue. This stuff just tastes delicious.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

wow, a very different brew indeed ... lots of complex and strangely exotic (erotic?) flavours ... crazy good full mouthfeel ... it is uplifting and tangy, with some jump up and dance qualities .. a fitting beer for the 2008 champions league! ... full, delicious, and a damn enjoyable beer... Come On United!!!

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: red.

Smell: Vinegar and cherry. Lots of sourness.

Taste: Very sweet. Bourgogne has an off-cherry flavour. Sour essence, but sweet on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: The sweetness makes this a gem on the tongue. Very pleasant. Not over carbonated and a nice bitterness in there as well.

Drinkability: A little too sour for me to enjoy more than one of at a time.

Overall: My first Flander's Red is quite the experience. Very sweet in the mouth and sour on the nose.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe