Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

2.6/5  rDev -37.5%

This beer poured a deep brown with a light head. It had a tart smell that is weirdly reminiscent of worcesertshire. The smell is definitely unique. The taste is fruity and a bit sour. The mouthfeel is crisp with noticeable carbonation. This is an interesting beer that I would not necessarily consider highly drinkable for me.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

"Interesting" is the word that seems to fit this beer best. It's the first really sour beer I've had, so comparison is tough, but I'll do my best. Pours an interesting garnet brown color, little head, fairly clear. Aroma is interesting: dark fruit and vinegar. Not particularly sweet in the nose, which is promising. Taste upholds that conclusion - not overly sweet. Every sip is puckering, but not to the point where it's not enjoyable. Lots of character: tart, fruit and wood, but nothing is too dominant. Mouthfeel is good, not syrupy at all. Carbonation seemed right. Drinkability is the tough part. I enjoyed it, but I'm glad I was splitting a bottle because I probably wouldn't have wanted to drink the rest of it on my own. Maybe it'll grow on me.

4.16/5  rDev 0%

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from PapaEugene. Poured in a Urthel glass. The beers pours a nice deep-brown ruby color with a dense sticky head the lasted during almost the whole drinking.

The scent is ok, though my drinking buddy got flashbacks of his daughter being seriously ill and vomiting whole day. For me it wasn't that bad (probably because I don't have little children yet...). Quite sour, like red-wine vinegar, but with some hints of sweetness.

The taste is way better than the smell suggests. Smooth, soft, sweet cherries and red fruits, malty, with a well balanced, slightly sweet-sour aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is good too, smooth and soft, with a bit high carbonation.

I will probably not drink it again

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

A deep amber pour topped in a thick tannish covering of foam that sits on top for a long time. The aroma scares many away, but I love it. It is very sour with a character much like balsamic vinegar. There are a lot of fruit aromas and touches of spice to balance. This is one of the most interesting whiffers I have ever come accross.

The Duchesse has a crisp start with some tingly carbonation. She then smoothes out to a very nice mouthfeel. The body is medium-full. The sour flavor is awesome. It is big, bold, and absolutely beautiful. The fruit flavor and touch of spices balance just enough to keep the beer from being pure vinegar. I think that this balance is perfect. It may be the fact that I have had no other samples of this style, but it really does the trick for me. It is interesting and complex, and that sour bite keeps me wanting more. This will certainly become a regular whenever I feel like having a good brew. I get one every time I go to Eulogy, and now I have 750s to enjoy at home. This beer is definitely not for everyone, so if you don' t like it, send it to me.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle poured into a large tulip glass. Color is a strong reddish brown with around half an inch of head. Smell is sour cider and cherry, very acidic. Taste is a kind of sweet and sour combination, with lots of grapes and maraschino cherry flavors. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel. Very good drinkability.

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Review #200. Thanks to Goliath for the amazing hookup of this brew. Poured into a tulip and I am amped.

A: Pours a very dark red, almost brown. Once I hold the tulip up to the light, there is not doubt that this lady is red. A beautiful dark, murky red. The head was slightly off white, and I got a little over two fingers on the pour. The head receeded slowly down to a white ring that is very thick and lasting. The lacing is sticky and soapy. Spotty lacing designs casually laze about the glass. Just damned beautiful.

S: The scent of this baby is very nice. Cranberries, strawberries, and raspberries. Berries everywhere. Grapes?! This smells a bit like a merlot when you swirl the glass. Just an interesting combo. As this puppy slowly warms, you get the scent of some thick caramel. Sweet and sour overall for the aroma profile.

T: So damned tasty. This beer gets better as it airs out and warms up. Initially just some sour cranberry flavors kept me entertained. As it slowly warms, more and more sour fruit come out. Strawberries show their face along with some raspberry. There is also some plum in there. All of the fruitiness is sour, but perfectly sour. Nothing too crazy, just perfect on the way down. There is a slight hint of vinegar but nothing overwhelming. As it warms even more, caramel and a bit of breadiness comes in to round out the flavors. This brew is amazing.

M: Medium in body. This beer has a very sour and tart feel. It really challenges the taste buds. It lingers all around the mouth and really lets you enjoy everything it has to offer. There is absolutely zero hint of ABV. This brew really coats the mouth witha thick, almost syrupy texture. The amazing thing about this brew is just how long it lingers. Just perfect in feel.

D: This beer is amazing. I want more and I find myself nursing this because I don't want it to end. I could easily drink this in a couple gulps but that would be a waste. The Smell, Taste and Feel are all great. This brew is great. If I ever run across some, I will buy at least half a case. This brew is so dynamic. Loving it.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a rich auburn color. Light tan head crackles as it is poured but dissipated quickly. Ring remains surrounding the top but little lacing is left.

Dark fruit dominates the aroma. Tart cherries and currants. Soft sour smell complimented by a slight whiff of oakiness.

Flavor is incredible sweet fruit flavors mesh incredibly well with a strong tart taste. Excellent balance between the malty flavors with the somewhat sour fruitiness.

Mouth feel is incredibly smooth and crisp. Very dry.

Ridiculously drinkable. Excellent beer. Tremendously enjoyable to drink and goes down all too easy.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Poured into a tulip glass from the 11oz bottle. At first glance black, but when held to light some ruby notes shine through. Head is offwhite, one finger thick, and dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: The first whiff of this crazy brew is vinous, especially richer red wines, which really caught me off guard. Futher exploration reveals a tangy sweet raspberry aroma, as well as an off alcohol note.

Taste: Wonderfully unique and unlike any other beer in existence. Has a great raspberry-like introduction, and follows up in the midpalate with a sort of cherry pie flavor (crust and all). Finishes extremely tangy and sweet, but also smooth and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Prickly and medium bodied but surprisingly smooth going down.

Drinkability: I don't think I could do more than on of these at a time because of the intense sweetness of the beer. However, it's a great change of pace if you want something really out of the ordinary.

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Brouwerij Verhaeghe - Duchesse De Bourgogne, poured into a Lawson's Tulip.

Look - Super carbonated blowover! Pours and settles deep ruby with a fizzy head that skirts away quickly. Sticky chunky lace.

Smell - Belgian sour with fruity cherry tartness. Brett. Lots of complexity.

Taste - Tart and fruity with a touch of sour. Quite rich and sweet cherry.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with high carbonation. Dry and drinkable.

Overall - This is a good beer, will have to try more of this style. I recommend this though something tells me others in the style are less sweet and more sour. I still dug it.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is beer?? It tasted and smelled more like a wine than it did a beer and therefore it was very much not to my liking. It poured a large sized tan frothy head that consisted of fine-small bubbles. The body was opaque and carbonated with a red hue. The nose reminded me of pure wine as did the flavor. The mouthfeel was tingly, tangy, bitey and medium bodied. There was a fair amount of lacing with this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%