Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
Jonada

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

750ml cork and cage bottle served in a DFH signature glass. Cork shows an expiration date of 7/2015.

Appearance: Pours a dark red brown color with 1+ finger of a tan head that yields good retention and lacing. When held to light, body is clear with a dark amber color. Lots of visible carbonation.

Smell: Balsamic vinegar, sour cherries, damp oak, some light caramel and red grape.

Taste: Starts with a surprising amount of sweetness on the tongue before some mild sourness starts to creep in and balance it out some. Flavors are sweet and sour cherry, vinegar, red apple, hints of brown bread and Belgian candi sugar.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, soft mouthfeel with medium carbonation. No real alcohol presence.

Overall: Great in all other aspects, but a bit of a letdown in the taste. There's some nice complexity there, but the sweetness is a bit distracting. If the sweetness were turned down and the sourness/acidity turned up a bit, this would be excellent. It's worth a try if you haven't had it, but if you're looking for a regular Flanders Red fix, just stick to Rodenbach Grand Cru

05-09-2014 05:17:05 | More by Jonada
blitz134

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

I had the pleasure of first having this on tap at the Brickstore in Atlanta. I'd never had a "flemish sour" as it was labeled and gave it a shot. I'm certainly glad I did as this has quickly became a favorite style to me and opened my eyes up to the world of sour beers.

This beer pours a lovely crimson, garnet red clear body with an initial tall 2 finger head which reduced down to a fairly thick half inch. The smell to me is amazing and one I have never found in any other beer. Its all about the balsamic vinegar, which I personally really like. Additionally there is a good dose of grape and other fruit aromas which remind me of a dark red wine.

The taste is of slight vinegar with a body of sour grape juice along with tart cherries. Its quite juicy and sweet on the tongue and finishes a bit sour, but not overpowering. When I had this on tap everyone who tasted it all agreed it was very interesting. This one sits a bit warm on my stomach although it isn't a high ABV brew.

Mouthfeel is a touch thin but coats the mouth well. Drinkability is good as well but it plays with my stomach a bit. I find this so tasty though that I can deal with that.

Overall, this beer (and the style in general) has an amazing flavor that everyone must try at least once. This is just one more example of the breadth of the capability of the beer world.

05-23-2005 02:43:26 | More by blitz134

09-14-2013 08:21:49 | More by Luiz0930
necoadam

Connecticut

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Damn this is an interesting beer. Granted this was my first time I've tried a flanders red, I didn't know what to expect. Poured out like thick cough syrup. Dark ruby with lots of carbonation. Smell..at first it was like soy sauce. But once you keep whiffing it, it smells like wine somewhat. Cheeries and plums comes to mind when smelling. Taste was unique. Beginning is tart, sweet and sour. Very complexed. Once the sourness goes away, fruits hit the palate with some woody finish to it. Finishes very dry to my surprise. Worth trying out.

05-12-2004 23:53:53 | More by necoadam

04-11-2012 00:16:23 | More by bmoney
Quaffer

Nevada

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

11.2 oz. bottle. Still one good year left according to the BB date.

Appearance: A deep, ruddy brown beer with a course, tan head. The foam rose up easily to over two fingers and disappeared quickly. A rough ring of bubbles was left around the edge of the glass, but there wasn't much lacing at all.

Smell: There was a lot going on in the smell. Sharp, tart fruit cameto mind first. It reminded me of straight cherry juice. It had a acidic edge to it, but was sweet as well. After that initial hit, I started to notice a stong oak character, wine vinegar, and hints of Brett. Very enjoyable overall.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and slightly buttery at times in the front of the mouth. The carbonation really built as the beer sat in the mouth, until it became strong in the throat.

Taste: The first half of this beer was a combination of sweet and tart fruit, as well as a nice woody component. The tartness was not anywhere close to being as strong as I was expecting. Surprisingly light, in fact. The second half of the glass retained the aforementioned characteristics, but they became a shadow underneath a flat, astringent bitterness that clawed at the roof of my mouth. The finish was dry, with the aftertaste being a mix of sweet fruit and turnips.

The tartness just didn't seem to be there in this beer, and the astringency that developed was rough and harsh. I would like to give it a try again in the future, though.

Thanks, babydoc!

01-31-2005 23:50:50 | More by Quaffer
pentathlete

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured into a flute. Beauty ruby brown with large head. Nose is all tart and cherries. Taste is cherry fruit with some sour notes. Pleasant, but rather tame. I expected more sour bite. Too much sweetness, almost candy like flavors. Perhaps my palate was spent, but I was not altogether thrilled. Not a bad beer, but nothing special.

05-07-2005 02:50:17 | More by pentathlete
Yoonisaykul

Quebec (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

05-06-2010

Got pretty excited when I saw this at the SAQ

A-Red, brown, copper, gold. All sorts of hues and colorsHead looks just like a cleaner version of krausen on top of a fermenter. Tons of messy but delicate lacing.

S- Open bottle smells just like balsamic vinegar. I've heard about these beers. Let see how I like them. The smell is less extreme once in the glass - It now smells like beer. Alcohol comes on strong. Mix a quad and some balsamic vinegar. I'm really intrigued now.

T- ''What the f...'' Were my first words. Felt sweet on the tip of my tongue and then pow. No idea what hit me. Right away I thought: I'm not ready for this but after a few sips I'm starting to like it. I dont know what to say and I feel I don't know enough about the style to really say much more. I will try to review it again in a year or so. Kind of tastes like an infected BSDA.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Not dry but astringent. Quite enjoyable. Pretty sticky.

D- Two bottles should be enough.

The more I drink it the better it gets but I'm still not ready. Worked very well with my Bleu Lescure.

07-19-2010

Finally bought this again and guess what? I like it a lot now. What used to taste like a crazy balsamic vinegar drink now tastes more like some sort of raspberry quad. I've bought two more and I think I'll keep going. My ratings stay the same though.

05-06-2010 19:58:56 | More by Yoonisaykul
theghost3

Louisiana

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a deep brown with a 2-finger beige head. Lots of lacing.

The smell is strong of sour fruits, herbs, cinnamon, and yeast. The taste is very sour, tart. Flavors of sour apple, alcohol, & unripe peaches are prevalent. Mouthfeel is very carbonated; acidic.

This is a drinkable beer but the tartness should be balanced with food.

06-02-2009 03:17:27 | More by theghost3
Act25

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My first Flemish sour, and a favorite.

A: The look is a 5. Deep, dense, thick, lasting tan head that lasts forever, starting as a pillowed crown and becoming a weathered sand castle.

Ruby Brown body, loads of lacing. A perfect pour.

S: puts you into the wine cellar with all the smells, wine, wine spills, oak, char, sawdust, concrete floor, mold, humidity, age.

T: This is three beers in one and so even at $7 a bottle is reasonable value. Smooth, soft, and tannic like wine. Chewy like wine, with body, in concert sweet and sour, fruit and malt, twin forces arise to treat your mouth to an utterly new sensation totally gratifying. 10s of flavors (as evidenced by the review) but dominant are burgundy pinot noir, cherry, balsamic, and jam. It rides on sweet bread and despite all this meditation complexity, it finishes clean. This is a must try, much try! One of my favorite firsts ever.

F: Leaves your mouth in a lovely kissing place like a great chewy wine or beer. You must let it warm. Also I drank my first one at the same pace as I'd drink 2 glasses of wine. Very slowly. And getting closer and closer to 55 degrees.

A-bro wrote " I must pause for a moment and thank the beer gods …Top of my list, an art performance… " I agree!

11-19-2013 21:44:28 | More by Act25
nquigley16

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. best by date of 08/26/15.

A- dark brown with hints of maroon in the light. Pretty dark, nice clarity. Small grey-tan head that lingers thin on the surface.

S- Huge vinegar, some serious acetic acid in this beer. Solvent-y, lightly burnt gingersnap cookie, wine-y. Very interesting nose.

T- Prickly acetic acid, oak, vanilla, cranberry cocktail, pinot noir, lactic acid, a little oxidation.

M- Medium-thin, prickly, acidity, medium carbonation, semi-dry finish.

O- Definitely a classic, great flavor profiles and complexity. Very enjoyable Flanders beer.

12-03-2013 23:30:47 | More by nquigley16
Hopswagger

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

P: Pours a clear reddish brown body with practically no head. Just a white ring that stretches around the sides of the snifter.

S: A sweet fruity base with tart acidity causing a delicate sting in the nose. A nicely balancing oaky vanilla presence that is accompanied by subtle skunky yeast. Hints of chocolate cordial cherries and cardamom infused syrup.

T/M: Wow! Super complex and balanced. Wild cherries, lightly smoked oak, plums, tart white grape and delicate gulab jamun presence. Syrupy mouthfeel that swirls around nicely and becomes creamy while finishing with tart fruit.

O: I'm still a novice when it cones to Flanders but this is probably the best I have had to date. The flavors marry perfectly and the mouthfeel is orgasmic. In having trouble findings flaws. This is sure to be a go to for this style. Cheers!

08-08-2013 21:35:01 | More by Hopswagger
malty

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into my Rodenbach 8 oz. stemmed glass a beautiful ruby red with orange-copper edges. A creamed colored fluffy/dense head stands steady at 1". Visible racing carbonation.

A quick few swirls of the glass and a FRESH carmel covered tart apple scent erupts. A prolonged inhale detects cinnamon, concord grapes and pickled brussel sprouts. What a unique assortment of scents!

The liquid touches my lips and replicates basically everything I smelled. Tart & sweet for sure. Definitely more on the sweeter side of any Flemish red I ever tasted. Reminiscent of sweet iced tea with bitters. Faint molasses that brings hearty Dopplebocks to mind. Sweet candi sugar ending.

Mouthfeel is delectable. Fine and kinetic carbonation makes this a joy to drink. Not nearly the dry/tart finish I was expecting.

Drinkability is good. Tone-down the sweetness and it would be perfect.

Overall an utterly unique ale with many (in a good way) schizophrenic combinations of fresh and boisterous flavors. I'm still a little perplexed, but I do know I like it a lot. The sweetness is a little too much from what I was anticipating. But it's good to get your socks blown-off every once and a while! Fantastic beer.

06-04-2006 23:24:10 | More by malty
Erdinger2003

Iowa

2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

The head is not too dense and the lacing doesn't stick very well. The color is clear red/purple. The smell is sour with slight earthy tones and a slight plum or other sour fruit in the backround. Taste is metalic with some earthy tones. The taste is a bit bland like cardboard. Mouthfeel is well carbonated and a little harsh. I don't think I would have another one of these, maybe it's the style, however this glass wasn't great.

08-31-2006 01:16:24 | More by Erdinger2003
desint

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

06-30-2013 11:36:37 | More by desint
ChicagoNick

05-20-2014 16:30:36 | More by ChicagoNick
1fastz28

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

wait what... i had to stop to write about the taste first, holy wierd. its like grape juice and a belgian ale got together and made a beer, i'm completely confused by the taste. its incredibly sweet, like a strong grape juice, is this even beer? maybe a barley wine, i' dont even know whats going on. it looks beautiful, has a deep dark purplish hue to it, smell is fruity, but not nearly as potent as the taste. its a good beer, if it is beer. i dont think i've ever had anything remotely like this, so dont take this review as worth anything.

04-01-2008 04:00:40 | More by 1fastz28
thecarster1

a- bottle poured into a tasting glass, two and a half fingers worth of head, color is a reddish brown, head trails down the glass as i sip.

s- straight up balsamic vinegar, slight sweetness, malty complexities (that means i'm not up enough on my sours to know what i'm picking up haha)

t- green apples, balsamic vinegar, unripe raspberries, slight metallic edge, a sour tartness lays ontop of everything. this is an interesting beer for sure.

m- medium bodied.

d- this is a really top notch beer, that is a palate changer. this isn't overly sour, but gives just enough edge to make it interesting. i'll be drinking this again for sure.

04-13-2010 01:08:54 | More by thecarster1