Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Brouwerij Verhaeghe - Duchesse De Bourgogne, poured into a Lawson's Tulip.

Look - Super carbonated blowover! Pours and settles deep ruby with a fizzy head that skirts away quickly. Sticky chunky lace.

Smell - Belgian sour with fruity cherry tartness. Brett. Lots of complexity.

Taste - Tart and fruity with a touch of sour. Quite rich and sweet cherry.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with high carbonation. Dry and drinkable.

Overall - This is a good beer, will have to try more of this style. I recommend this though something tells me others in the style are less sweet and more sour. I still dug it.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

750ml Bottle Shared With Friends At A Sour Beer Tasting • Poured Into A Tulip Taster • Review From Notes

Appearance: Dark Brown caramel color with lighter tan highlights that shimmer in the light. Eggshell head is tight and quickly dissipates.

Smell: The aroma is quite grape-like, but has many more aromas to contemplate.
Freshly cracked eggs, smoke, soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, brown sugar, rosebuds, other flowers. There is also a faint caramel aroma.

Taste: Taste is excellent. We begin with the obvious oak, smoke and pleasantly sour flavors that are immediately apparent. The front of the palate is mildly tart dry grapes and then there is a nice layer of brown sugar and caramel that sweetens up the palate. Prunes, berries, plum, and a touch of leather bring up the rear of flavors.
What a nice beer!

Mouthfeel: Tight little bubbles of carbonation treat your mouth just right. Pucker up, because you're in for a whirlwind of pleasure.

Drinkability: Superb. I think I could have easily finished the whole 750 by myself and enjoyed it thoroughly. This certainly isn't as cloying as other Flanders Reds I've had and could possibly be considered the staple.

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Didn't know what to expect with this one. But i'll compare it to Scarlett Johansson since she was in the Girl with a Pearl Earring.

Poured a foamy white one finger head, Reddish brown. Probaly like Birdy's hair would have been in The man who wasn't there if it was in color.

Smells funky, red wine, vinegary, Like how Steve Buscemi's Apartment must have smelled in Ghost World.

I actually like the taste of this it alternates between supersweet and tart sour taste, very complex, keeps you guessing, Kind of like the Island, not a great movie, but she's hot in it.

Alternating tart and sweet finish, good enough body, leaves me feeling uneasy, but I want more, like Match Point or Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Did I mention Scarlett Johansson's hot?

2.96/5  rDev -28.8%

Duchesse de Bourgogne: a reddish beer sitting under an initially thick off-white head. Great, thick lacing all the way down the side of the glass. Aroma is very sweet with hints of cherries. The taste is very remarkable: mixed sweet and sour that is almost candy like, unfortunately there is an unmistakable vinegar taste/aroma that is present throughout. The taste is very intense, and complex. Before I forget, the aftertaste is dry, and leaves almost a cabernet impression. Some sharp alcohol sensations as well. Overall, the sweetness kills this brew for me, but I’d give it too a wine drinker to show them what they are missing.

Best by date of 08-06-06

Pours a very dark burgundy color with a thick two finger head that settles to a solid ring that leaves behind nice webs of lacing.

Smell; very vinous and slightly sour. There's planty of fruit present (cherries, apples and raisins) as well as a bit yeasty. I really like that way this smells. The sourness isn't quite as pronounced as I had expected, and blends well with the fruit aromas.

Taste; a slightly surgary sweetness hits at first, followed by cherries, apples raisins/plums intertwined with a tart sourness. There's a bit of a dry oak flavor, as well as a touch of cinnamon in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation that makes this somewhat creamy.

This is my first beer of this style, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect to like this nearly as much as I have.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Whoa! Flemish sour ale that has some truly distinctive notes. Apple cider vinegar. Acetone and nail polish remover. Grape juice. As it breathes and warms: cherries!

Tart, sour, light bodied to medium bodied, but has some tooth. Crisp. Very effervescent.

The Duchesse will always have a place in my fridge!

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Poured into a tulip glass from the 11oz bottle. At first glance black, but when held to light some ruby notes shine through. Head is offwhite, one finger thick, and dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: The first whiff of this crazy brew is vinous, especially richer red wines, which really caught me off guard. Futher exploration reveals a tangy sweet raspberry aroma, as well as an off alcohol note.

Taste: Wonderfully unique and unlike any other beer in existence. Has a great raspberry-like introduction, and follows up in the midpalate with a sort of cherry pie flavor (crust and all). Finishes extremely tangy and sweet, but also smooth and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Prickly and medium bodied but surprisingly smooth going down.

Drinkability: I don't think I could do more than on of these at a time because of the intense sweetness of the beer. However, it's a great change of pace if you want something really out of the ordinary.

2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

This beer poured a deep brown with a light head. It had a tart smell that is weirdly reminiscent of worcesertshire. The smell is definitely unique. The taste is fruity and a bit sour. The mouthfeel is crisp with noticeable carbonation. This is an interesting beer that I would not necessarily consider highly drinkable for me.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle poured into a large tulip glass. Color is a strong reddish brown with around half an inch of head. Smell is sour cider and cherry, very acidic. Taste is a kind of sweet and sour combination, with lots of grapes and maraschino cherry flavors. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel. Very good drinkability.

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

3.47/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from PapaEugene. Poured in a Urthel glass. The beers pours a nice deep-brown ruby color with a dense sticky head the lasted during almost the whole drinking.

The scent is ok, though my drinking buddy got flashbacks of his daughter being seriously ill and vomiting whole day. For me it wasn't that bad (probably because I don't have little children yet...). Quite sour, like red-wine vinegar, but with some hints of sweetness.

The taste is way better than the smell suggests. Smooth, soft, sweet cherries and red fruits, malty, with a well balanced, slightly sweet-sour aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is good too, smooth and soft, with a bit high carbonation.

I will probably not drink it again

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

A deep amber pour topped in a thick tannish covering of foam that sits on top for a long time. The aroma scares many away, but I love it. It is very sour with a character much like balsamic vinegar. There are a lot of fruit aromas and touches of spice to balance. This is one of the most interesting whiffers I have ever come accross.

The Duchesse has a crisp start with some tingly carbonation. She then smoothes out to a very nice mouthfeel. The body is medium-full. The sour flavor is awesome. It is big, bold, and absolutely beautiful. The fruit flavor and touch of spices balance just enough to keep the beer from being pure vinegar. I think that this balance is perfect. It may be the fact that I have had no other samples of this style, but it really does the trick for me. It is interesting and complex, and that sour bite keeps me wanting more. This will certainly become a regular whenever I feel like having a good brew. I get one every time I go to Eulogy, and now I have 750s to enjoy at home. This beer is definitely not for everyone, so if you don' t like it, send it to me.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%