Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
NickyDee21

10-12-2013 14:43:33 | More by NickyDee21
JBogan

Nevada

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured a dark brown with ruby tint, a slightly off white small head which left somewhat quickly and left moderate lacing.

Smelled mostly of sour cherries, with a bit of raisin and alcohol present as well.

Tasted of sour cherries with a hint of alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel was very good. Smooth and medium bodied yet with a perfect amount of carbonation sting.

This was a very drinkable beer, yet it doesn't come cheap. It also seem to have a much higher ABV than advertised. Overall I will most certainly revisit this one again, yet save it for special occasions as it's priced a bit too dear for daily consumption.

05-09-2008 00:42:41 | More by JBogan

04-16-2014 03:17:38 | More by funkyaudio
csiewert

Oregon

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

This beer poured a dark ruby color with a trace of off white fizzy head that retain and laces pretty well. The aroma has notes of sour cherries, dark fruit and some vinegar. The taste starts with the sour cherries and then has a strong note of vinegar... Not very good. The mouthfeel is on par for what a sour ale should be like, but I don't know if I got a bad bottle or what, but this was way too vinegary for me.

08-17-2011 01:11:50 | More by csiewert
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

It took me so much time to truly appreciate this beer, so I understand the haters here. Appearance is magnificient. Brown pour with red highlights and a lasting thick creamy offwhite head. One of the most beautiful lacing there is. Once it's over, my glass is completely coated with lacing.

Aroma: This is certainly not unanimous as there is a lot of balsamic vinegar which can be offputting but I like it now. There is a decent amount of musty wood, red wine, some burnt brown sugar. I also get some subtle notes of nuts and chocolate.

Taste: Probably the perfect balance between tart and sweet. To be more specific, some cherries and plums, lots of wood, maple syrup. Very close to a 5.

Mouthfeel: Light yet holds everything together. It is certainly not sticky considering the sweetness, nor as dry as a sour which gives this beer the opportunity to express its sweet and sour profile.
Low carbonation but not much is needed here.

Overall: A very unique, harmonious and elegant beer that has no evident flaws. I think it just surpassed Orval as my favourite go to beer.

08-18-2011 21:59:48 | More by Luk13

South Carolina

11-21-2012 21:31:12 | More by brauseboof
Act25

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%

My first Flemish sour, and a favorite.

A: The look is a 5. Deep, dense, thick, lasting tan head that lasts forever, starting as a pillowed crown and becoming a weathered sand castle.

Ruby Brown body, loads of lacing. A perfect pour.

S: puts you into the wine cellar with all the smells, wine, wine spills, oak, char, sawdust, concrete floor, mold, humidity, age.

T: This is three beers in one and so even at $7 a bottle is reasonable value. Smooth, soft, and tannic like wine. Chewy like wine, with body, in concert sweet and sour, fruit and malt, twin forces arise to treat your mouth to an utterly new sensation totally gratifying. 10s of flavors (as evidenced by the review) but dominant are burgundy pinot noir, cherry, balsamic, and jam. It rides on sweet bread and despite all this meditation complexity, it finishes clean. This is a must try, much try! One of my favorite firsts ever.

F: Leaves your mouth in a lovely kissing place like a great chewy wine or beer. You must let it warm. Also I drank my first one at the same pace as I'd drink 2 glasses of wine. Very slowly. And getting closer and closer to 55 degrees.

A-bro wrote " I must pause for a moment and thank the beer gods …Top of my list, an art performance… " I agree!

11-19-2013 21:44:28 | More by Act25

06-14-2014 16:37:37 | More by zachary80
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

I don't know where to begin with this beer. This is by far one of the most complex beers I have ever had the opportunity to drink. The color is a gorgeous deep ruby. If the head would have held a little longer, I would have given it a "5". The smell has its belgian characteristics with a soft sweet aroma. Ripened cherries fill the nose beautifully. The initial taste really blew me away. The tart beginning smoothes out to a well-balanced sweet wine taste. It has many features of a cherry-cider yet it still holds its beer roots. I think this is truly a fine speciman of master brewing and will have my respect forever.

10-01-2004 23:21:57 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
azorie

02-06-2012 20:11:50 | More by azorie
PhageLab

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured into a tulip.

A - Gorgeous cedar coloration with a deep ruby hue. Produced a nice bit of froth and laced magnificently. Retention was on point. No room for improvement in the looks department.

S - Sugary malts, vinegar, and something a bit sour. Quite interesting.

T - Intense sour flavor with a hint of oak. There is some sweet malt backing, but not enough to help the raw taste of vinegar.

M - Light bodied and dry with a low carbonation level. Causes an odd feeling in the back of my throat, which reminds me of bad wine.

D - Too much for me. I have several friends who love this stuff and recommended it several times, but I can't get on the same page. Interesting brew, but not one for me.

07-18-2011 23:21:19 | More by PhageLab
cvfish

Louisiana

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

A - This beer poured a brownish color with ruby highlights that produced a tan head that had decent retention and laced the side of the glass nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were the caramelized malts, cherries, and some sourness

T - The taste of this beer started with a caramelized malts flavor that was quickly overrun by a sour cherry/apple flavor that dominated my palate and did not leave

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light to medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - What can I say about the Duchesse? Very unique, not something that I was quite into, but there again maybe something that will grow on me

05-11-2009 02:33:34 | More by cvfish
allenson21

08-26-2013 02:25:16 | More by allenson21
BierReise

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

11.2 oz Bottle Best Before 27/05/05 A reddish brown with no head and only a bit of a foam layer. Looks similar to thr Vichtenaar I just had. Slightly acidic aroma with notes of rotten cherries and peppercorns. Quite spicy. Body is lively with carbonation and with a crisp somewhat dry finish. Flavor is sweet and sour with slight vinegar and acidic notes. Some sour fruit also in the mix. Overall much better than the Vichtenaar in my opinion and has some good flavor.

03-04-2004 20:03:00 | More by BierReise
arguemaniac

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a dark burgundy with a creamy, red-tinged head that leaves behind a thick, well-sustained lace. The nose features a distinctive vinegary aroma, and even a faint touch of sulfur, with some definite fruitiness in the background (strange as it might seem, this is actually a good thing, considering the style). The sour palate also has some pleasant fruity sweetness to it (with a distinct cherry character to it). I can’t really make out any hop bitterness as the sourness eclipses most everything else. The finish is not as sour but is certainly fairly tart with a little more of that sweetness coming through. The mouthfeel is surprisingly light with a sharp carbonation tang.

One thing I like about this style of beer (or at least good examples of it, such as this one) is that even though they are very sour, they are also rich and quite drinkable, something to which the unexpectedly light mouthfeel contributes. The other thing I like about these is how unique they are: while I certainly can’t see myself drinking them all the time, they are a refreshing change of pace. And this particular example is one of the better. So, while this might not be the most approachable style for someone who is new to the craft beer scene, it is definitely something a more adventurous and more experienced beer drinker should try. Highly recommended.

04-05-2006 07:36:03 | More by arguemaniac
photomike

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

This is a beautiful beer. Pours a deep, deep clear red with a 2 finger khaki head. Retention that sticks around like my annoying neighbor Joe. Guy never leaves! Thick, long lasting lacing like I've never seen.

Smell is of vinegary, sour apples, slightly vinuous, like a dry Riesling.

The taste is incredible. The vinegary apples are definitely there and prominent, but this is a complex beer. On the forefront is very noticeable funk--I have actually heard people use the words "sweaty socks" to describe this taste, and I'm surprisingly comfortable with that given my distaste for using really unappetizing terms to describe a beer's flavor. The funk fits, and doesn't stick around too long. Immediately following the wave of funk, your palate is hit with some sourness that quickly turns into a really pleasant smooth sweetness, and then a nice sour finish. Man I am loving this.

Smooth and creamy, and perfectly carbonated, I am actually getting a bit of chewiness. Not as clean as I expected it to be, but that is not a bad thing.

I could drink a lot of this, but it is definitely one to be savored. I will be disappointed to see the bottom of this glass. If only it would stick around as long as Joe. Get out you damn fool!!!

04-13-2009 23:56:46 | More by photomike

05-20-2014 16:30:36 | More by ChicagoNick
dgallina

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a deep clear mahogany with red highlights. Creamy tan head which subsides to a frothy layer and substantial creamy lacing. Rounded wine-like smell with woody tones (likely to be too sour for some). Initially soft, tart flavors which develop into a rounded fruitiness. The flavor is much more subtle than the smell would initially suggest. Very satisfying creamy smooth medium body.

11-03-2004 01:13:53 | More by dgallina