Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,442 | Hads: 3,886
4.52/5  rDev +10.2%

I first fell in love with this beer while having it on tap my first time at the local beer bar. I am very happy to say it was not mere infatuation - the Duchesse poured a dark dark red that looked very appetizing indeed. The nose was acidic, yet lightly so, so it beckoned to the eager taste buds to get some of what they were missing. And what a nice flavor - deep rich earthy flavors combined with a nice sour edge to give both ends of the palate a treat. The mouthfeel was a bit thinner than I expected, but still very enjoyable. Having drunk this for an entire night, I can truthfully say the drinkability is exceptional. A highly recommended treat for your taste buds.

3.42/5  rDev -16.6%

Cranberries, cherries and balsamic in the smell. Light brown and slowly diminishing head with a dark amber body. Taste is moderatley acidic but the balsamic is still pretty strong. The cherries and balsamic is just too much for me. Decent, but my thing.

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%

Experation date June 2008

Pours a brownish ale with a thick head and lots of bubbles. Heavy retention and it all clings to the glass. Sour cherries and sugar are present in the nose. A nice sour cherry twang at the start then mellows out at the end. There is also a great berry aftertaste which I think is rare for a flemish ale. Overall very smooth and well worth the price. I recommend this to anyone who hasnt tried this style before!

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

The TRUE champagne of beers. Poured a 750ml bottle into a flute which really fits this brew well. Dark brown with a thin and light lacy head that disappears quickly. As dark as it is, it looks very lively with carbonation.

Not too much in the nose, a woody smell of some sort. The taste, on the other hand... the second this brew hits your tongue the party starts. Champagne like bubbles, some tartness (but not at all strong) of cherries and plums, and a very subtle malty finish to balance everything out.

Overall, a really unique beer. Great way to introduce someone who doesn't like beer to something different... ie, my girlfriend, who loved it. Can't wait to have this for brunch!

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

11.2 pour in a tulip glass. best before 2-19-16

A: Love the color. Pours brown, opaque, reddish highlights, tightly packed light tan head that hangs around throughout
S: smells sweet-sour with toasty caramel, balsamic vinegar, apple, cherries, plum skins, get some wood barrel, vanilla on the nose as well.
T: similar to upfront caramel sweetness, toasty malt, candi sugar, candied plums, maraschino cherries, balsamic vinegar, wood, charred wood, vanilla. Very smooth and round.
M: creamy mouth feel, medium carbonation, drinks easy. Very slight alcohol burn.
O: Really good flemish style beer. Even though this is a "sour" the sweet caramel and oak notes are the most prominent flavors. Nice balsamic vinegar and red wine notes. A little sweet for my tastes but it's really nice. This beer is about 18 months after bottling (plus of course the aging after they brew) and the a malt is more prominent, caramelized and toasty than than I remember. But the beer ages really well without any overt signs of oxidation.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Poured a reddish amber with an off-white head that actually stuck around with some decent lacing...

S- Ahhh, what I was hoping for in this brew...Slightly vinegar-y with some nice sour fruit notes...a little bit of funk (there's definitely some brews out there that are alot funkier) and a suprising amount of malt at the end...

T- To be honest, I was a little let down here (I guess I was just hoping for more)...taste is a little milder than it smelled, but still pretty damn good...tart fruits dominate with a decent balance of sweetness and maltiness...

M- Medium to light bodied...right amount of carbonation, but seems to be lacking the dryness I have come to expect out of sours...

D- This beer is still good, don't get me wrong...I guess I was anticipating an over-the-top sour that was in your face with the funk and would make your lips pucker...but that isn't this brew...this brew is very nicely balanced for the style, and is a very good introduction for those who haven't tried a beer of this variety...cheers!

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours dark red, almost brown with short, but persistent tan head. Smell is complex and satisfying. Sour cherries, fig, molasses, and a Red wine vinegar tartness. Taste (after you get over the initial sweetness) is sour cherries, some wood, and maybe apple. Mouthfeel is a nice carbonation and a good pretty dry finish. Overall I like it, it's obviously a quality brew and easy to drink, but it's not my favorite Flanders, wish it was a tad more on the sour side.

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

Auburn body and a very thin beige head that leaves an interesting lace.
There's a hint of fermented apple cider in the nose and a little vinegar.
Holding the first sip in my mouth, all the tiny bubbles work with the sourness and cider vinegar to create something alive and explosive; alcohol warmth lets the feeling linger on. The initial sweetness seems to come from sour cherries, unripe plums, and apples, and the dichotomy is an interesting experience; the two extremes of sweet and sour not only coexist, but thrive. As the temperature rises, the sourness calms a bit and lets you explore it more in-depth. I could sip this all by its self, but it also went great beside a burger topped with a mound of gorgonzola.

3.99/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance: dark brown on the table, but when held to the light this beer has gorgeous amber hues accented by tiny effervescent bubbles fizzing their way to the top. The head, when poured, was milky white and full of giant foany bubbles which dissolved smoothly into the glass leaving little no no lacing.

Smell: from the moment I poured this into the glass, tart cheery scent wafted in my direction across the table. My mouth started to salivate just smelling this beer! Intense bing cherry with a slightly woody aroma. Strawberry and sandlewood also come to mind as secondary descriptors.

Taste&Mouthfeel: even before this beer hints the tongue your tastebuds salivate from the smell alone. The preparation your mouth does is well worth it, for once the brew enters, millions of tastebuds scream in happiness. It's like Sweet Tarts candy made a cherry themed adult beverage! The tart, sour, red cherries play off of the dry foresty, woodsy charm that balances the sweet to dry beautifully. I think the best part of this beer is the body. I have had many sours not worth a reveiw, but this is so lovely in body... Medium weight, great medium carbonation, but the lingering depth and layers in this beer are what leave its body something other sour beers should strive for.

Overall: I think I am in love. Highly recomended! Delicious!

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from bottle. Another sampling with my father when he was in town. Appearance: dark amber color, lots of carbination bubbles, little to no head, champainge like. Smell: sweet and fruity. Taste: again sweet and fruity smooth finish, there are so many flavors going on I can't explain it. Mouthfeel good. A winner, this is beeer?! Try it if you want to see where beer can go.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Appears as a cola with a tinge of orange. Lacing around rim and surface with little head around the rim supported by good carbonation. Smells of vinegar, apple, dark fruit, and spice. This is my fourth time having this and the taste is more musty than I remember it. Tastes mostly of apple, oak, and light vinegar. It is deliciously well-balanced between sweet and tart. Goes down easy and very smooth. Finishes with a nice bite. Medium body and good drinkability. Really fantastic!

Purchased this as recommended by an employee at Siciliano's in Grand Rapids, MI.

Medium Brown/red in color, very clear. Lovely tan head with nice bubbly microfoam.

Scent: Raspberry sour, this sour made my stomach gurgle and my mouth salivate all through the smelling and drinking =)

Taste: Starts out a medium molasses/sorgham and goes immediately to a medium sweet raspberry, then to a VERY sweet raspberry. The aftertaste is a nicely sour caramel malty taste. No fruit in the immediate aftertaste. After around 3 minutes the taste is a very wine-like tanniny grape.

Fairly high carbonation, carries the sour flavor into being and then just leaves the sour.

The ABV isn't high, but the combination of the higher carbonation and the sweet taste is very heady.

I love this beer. I will seek this out and drink this again =)

1.24/5  rDev -69.8%

There are very few beers that I will not finish and this is surely one of those. I'll admit the appearance of the bear is quite nice, with a dark brown/ruby like color. In terms of the nose, the cherries are the most noticeable with vinegar and pomegranate coming in a close second. However, the taste of the beer did not agree with me at all, although it is possible that this was just a bad batch. Overall, I felt there was way too much vinegar and when combined with the richness of the beer, made me feel sick enough to only handle a few sips. On top of that, the beer had a very metallic aftertaste which was very unpleasant and unlike any other sour I have experienced. My brother who was with me had the same experience tasting this beer.

3.73/5  rDev -9%

Excellent beer, strong fruit flavors, almost grape like, with a spicyness and definite effervescent feel. The taste is a nice mix of tart and smooth, with a sharpness in the aftertaste. While I really love this beer, it isn't one I'd have every day, or even every month. It has a bit of a thick and sticky mouthfeel, and isn't as drinkable as I would like, when compared to the excellent taste.

A good one to try and have on rare occasions.

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%

I first tried the Duchess about 2 years ago and was not impressed. It was like drinking a glass full of cider vinegar. I tried her again today and found a completely different experience.

I brought out a pair of new goblets and made sure they were as beer-clean as I can get them. I sat my BMC drinking brother in law down to expanded his horizons. He had read about those crazy Belgians that just let whatever is in the air ferment their beer, so I brought out the Duchess to give him one idea about which they were talking.

This time the Duchess was in a much better mood. Deep ruby red, and brilliantly clear. I see no sediment so I assume this is not bottle conditioned. Although she had some expected tartness, it did not scream (or even hint) "cider vinegar!" like the last time. This time she was full of stone fruits, apples, a little barnyard, some sherry, and just a wonderful experience all around.

I will certainly not shy away from her any more, and am sorry I have
stayed away so long. I should listen to what I tell my kids - even if
you don't like something once, try it again once in a while because
things can change.

4.55/5  rDev +11%

A - dark, murky amber/red color with only a slight head.

S - slightly fruity - like a bit of cherry/raspberry/strawberry - and slightly sour with a hint of lovely funk.

T/M/D - wow, is this something special! The cherry/raspberry/strawberry flavor is there, but it not in a overly sweet or syrupy way at all - more sour, but not aggressively so. The beer also has a texture - it feels and tastes thick and creamy but not heavy. Amazing! I've had this on tap once before buying a bottle, and the bottled version tastes exactly the same! Outstanding stuff.

4.54/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Dark reddish/brown color. Brilliantly clear. Semi-thick head that slowly dissipates.

S - Definitely a complex fruitiness. Cherry ester presence; maybe apples or plums? Few spicy phenols.

T - Intense fruitiness from cherries with intense sour acidic character. Few spicy phenols. No hop presence. Vanilla flavor is present. Sour and bitterness gives balance slightly towards finish.

M - Medium body with high carbonation. Prickly acidity and very little warming from ABV.

D - Superb palate of various fruit and spice notes. Sweet and sour notes accentuate the few spicey phenols.

What a stupendous beer! Complex palate and very well executed. Drinkability makes this a sipping beer, however.

4.36/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into an oversized snifter.

A - Very very dark brown with hints of red where the light hits the glass. Half finger of khaki head that sticks around for a bit. Good looking beer.

S - sour cherry and dark fruits. very pungent.

T - big sour dark fruits with a dominant cherry flavor. A great example of Flanders Red style.

M - Puckering sour from start to finish. Mild carbonation and medium bodied. One of my favorite sours so far.

O - I feel that this is slightly better than Rodenbach Grand Cru. A very good entry sour, which is what I am into right now. Good stuff.

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

A - Beautiful dark auburn with a fairly big sticky, bubbly head that receded slowly, leaving honeycomb-like pockets of foam behind.

S - Sweet, tart, fruity. Candied sugar and very very slight vinegar & funky smells.

T - Leads off with ripe red cherries, turning into a swirl of berry & melon flavors. More sweet than tart, but also dry enough not to be cloying. Amazingly light, refreshing & complex. There's a faint off-sour note that I can't quite pick out at the end. There are beers that just taste "fruity" and then there are beers like this one that take it to the next level. A must try, 5/5

M - Soft. Great.

D - Infinitely drinkable. A beer that novices & seasoned BAs alike should love.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

A Reddish not much head on this one

S Smelled of a nice red wine. I was not sure on if this is good or bad. I decided bad IMO.

T u can definetly tell there is some oak barrels involved. but it tasted way to much like wine for me.

M - again with the wine

D couldnt get past the winish notes! not for me. not saying its bad just not my cup of tea.

3.3/5  rDev -19.5%

A - Reddish-brown, leaning more toward the reddish end. Large, off-white head that fades quickly but leaves a lot of lacing. Great clarity, no sediment. Filtered?

S - Smells of sparkling cider, apple cider vinegar, candi sugar and maturity.

T - This is a sweet, fruity, cider-like, tangy ale. Like a sparkling cider, but with more character.

M - Sticky, but not overly so. On the thin side, but not overly so. Overall, this does not drink like a beer at all. More like sparkling cider.

D - The sparkling cider qualities of this beer make it impossible for me to want any more than the one I tried today, but it is obvious that some great care went into making this product and that this is no doubt a fine example of the style

It is interesting to note that this beer is actually not just one beer, but two, as the product actually consists of the blending of two vintages of the same beer: 8 months old and 18 months old. It is also aged in oak barrels, some of which are decades old.

Did I mention that this beer is like sparkling cider?

3.61/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I dont write too many ratings but people seem to be all over with this one, so im kind of excited for this one, Picked it up in belgium for 1.60 euros.. Hear goes, pours dark red smells like red wine vinegar... its a little to sour for me but I started to get used to it as i drank more of it. Not bad overall

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A: Rusty pumpkin brown with a creamy tan head.

S: Vinegar, fruity, and sour.

T: Apples and chocolate. What combination!

M: Medium carbonation. Very light in the mouth. Creamy and smooth.

D: Very smooth. This aged sour goes down very easy. I could drink a lot of this.

Overall, a real unique beer. I heard the bartender say something about a sour ale matured in oak casks and double fermented. Instantly I knew I had to try it, I'm glad I did.

4.59/5  rDev +12%

A - good looking beer. deep amber with reddish hues. crystal clear. poured with a couple inch head that came down but stays as a nice frothy layer. wet, sticky lacing is a nice visual reminder of what you're missing in between each sip

S - so perfect. this is everything I want to smell in a sour-ish beer. vinegar is the dominating aroma, blending beautifully with deep sugary sweetness and tartness, akin to a cinnamon/sugar/apple combination, but much more malty and rich.

T - the vinegary tart tang encapsulates every aspect of the taste. everything in between is a smooth mix of brown sugary maltiness. oh man... it's almost gone and i'm only 60% done with the review

M - this is a tough one for me to classify. the fine effervescence and extreme vinegary sour try and trick me to think the beer is lighter in body than it really is. the rich complexity of the flavors, bold sweetness, and full, smooth swallow assert themselves in this beer to remind you of how robust it really is. tl;dr - medium mouthfeel.

O - truly incredible. if you want to try an amazing (sour) red ale, and you are willing to dish out some cash, look no further. i, for one, can say i will be taking the wallet hit again in the near future to experience what this beer has to offer

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A- steady lacing with a dark cherry body. The head quickly falls to a half centimeter eggshell.

S- acidic with notes of cider, sour cherries, plums, and red wine. It's bittersweet.

T- much like the smell, but with a slight punch of granny smith apples. Really reminds me of that line between sweet and sour in black cherry Warheads.

M- not a huge amount of carbonation, but a definite nudge. Think un-carbonated hard cider.

O- I love this beer. I grab it biweekly at a bottle shop 30 minutes away.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe