Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A 2 finger head quickly forms that has some nice retention. The body is a deep red and has some smaller carbonation bubbles rushing up to the head.

S Acidic and slightly tart upfront with some wood and sweet and tart apples

T Sweet and light tartness come forward right away and a light, sweet berries creep up toward the end. Well balanced and smooth drinking.

M Lighter feel in the mouth with high carbonation.

O Nice beer. I'm newer to sour/wild/etc and this one had nice tastes that complimented each other nicely.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a dark rusty reddish color with a thick foamy head. Smells of tart cherries, apples, and fermented grapes. First sip is mellow with sours notes that are subdued and quiet, not "In your face." Cherries, green apples, raisins, maybe a tad of brown sugar, all combining in flavor. Creamy mouthfeel, but slightly under carbonated. Considerably more sweeter than sour, the brew finishes well with a little stronger bitterness. Very Good.

3.52/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is beer?? It tasted and smelled more like a wine than it did a beer and therefore it was very much not to my liking. It poured a large sized tan frothy head that consisted of fine-small bubbles. The body was opaque and carbonated with a red hue. The nose reminded me of pure wine as did the flavor. The mouthfeel was tingly, tangy, bitey and medium bodied. There was a fair amount of lacing with this beer.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

WOW. I won't try to describe this beer to perfection because words just won't be enough. I invited a few friends (among which owner of Ozy Pub Camilo Ospina) to try this beauty out. I'd aged it for about a year.

The pour is just mystical. you seem like you're indulging in a frambozen sort of- as in, the pour is very dark, almost purplish-brown, and the head is clearly white with a medium consistency.

The smell....well, it wasn't all that strong, but as you acknowledge it you find all sorts of blends (screw it, I won't step into this) ranging through cocktails, fruits, wines....

The taste and mouthfeel....OMG (I don't like this sort of acronym but it seems suitable). It's just beautiful, you feel like you've blended a lambic with a kir royale, and the offspring is just bliss. wonderful in soooo many senses!

I downed the drinkability and mouthfeel just for the sake of it that is, just that I absolutely was enchanted by this beer but it's not perfect (in my de leckere standards) but this IS A MUST for any beer lover. bless you, madame la duchesse.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

I'm extremely new to sour beers, having only tried them for the first time a couple of months ago, but I really love the few that I've had.

This pours a deep brown, there are hints of red but I wouldn't have known its a red ale otherwise. The head is a finger width and light brown, it quickly fades away but leaves a nice lace. This smells a little sour, woody and slightly unusual, hard to describe. Nice mouth feel, it gets very carbonated if I gently move it around on my tongue, I can feel the tartness. The taste is a little tart / sour at first but on the way down it seems to sweeten up quite a bit, this is definitely a unique flavor for beer, but I really like it. It kind of reminds me of shock tart candies I used to love as a child, this my second bottle to try and the aftertaste sweetness is more than I remembered. Overall this is a great beer and very well could be one of my favorites.

3.96/5  rDev -4.8%

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A beautiful deep ruby red color with a bubbly tan head that leaves ample lacing upon the glass as it fades. Nice looking beer as it sits in my Maudite tulip glass.

Just an awesome red wine and malt vinegar aroma, with subtle herb and spice notes. Not lost is the mildly sweet and slightly roasty malt backing. Folks this is one of those beers I could smell all day long. It's already been 10 minutes and I have not taken a sip yet.

The taste is pleasantly tart, Still a sweet presence in the back, but sour cherries and red wine vinaigrette take charge. Interesting and really a nice balance of sweet and sour. I like this Flanders Red.

Initially feels thin but the smooth maltiness is evident and it comes across as meaningful in the mouth. Drinkable...? I drank this one didn't I? Yes this goes beyond just a sipper and if I had one I'd consider following with another.

All around a great beer.

4.56/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My first Flemish sour, and a favorite.

A: The look is a 5. Deep, dense, thick, lasting tan head that lasts forever, starting as a pillowed crown and becoming a weathered sand castle.

Ruby Brown body, loads of lacing. A perfect pour.

S: puts you into the wine cellar with all the smells, wine, wine spills, oak, char, sawdust, concrete floor, mold, humidity, age.

T: This is three beers in one and so even at $7 a bottle is reasonable value. Smooth, soft, and tannic like wine. Chewy like wine, with body, in concert sweet and sour, fruit and malt, twin forces arise to treat your mouth to an utterly new sensation totally gratifying. 10s of flavors (as evidenced by the review) but dominant are burgundy pinot noir, cherry, balsamic, and jam. It rides on sweet bread and despite all this meditation complexity, it finishes clean. This is a must try, much try! One of my favorite firsts ever.

F: Leaves your mouth in a lovely kissing place like a great chewy wine or beer. You must let it warm. Also I drank my first one at the same pace as I'd drink 2 glasses of wine. Very slowly. And getting closer and closer to 55 degrees.

A-bro wrote " I must pause for a moment and thank the beer gods …Top of my list, an art performance… " I agree!

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Very excited to see this on tap at House of 1000 Beers in New Kensington, PA.

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Dark reddish-brown, kind of burgundy, with deep plum highlights & a finger of khaki, loose head. Great color, big crown of lacing.

Smells of balsamic vinegar, tart, dark cherries, vanilla, green apple, a little leather, a little sawdust. Very complex & nicely integrated.

Taste follows aroma very closely, with some amplified acidity & more pronounced cherry & apple, wrapped up well. Wish I could say more, but it's pretty much already been said.

Full-bodied, smooth, a little viscous but with that moderate acidic bite. Very engaging.

This is one great beer. Flavorful, complex, but doesn't overwhelm or knock you out. That said, two is probably my limit. Maybe I had expectation bias, but I went in prepared to love this & I loved it, so there you go.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

i really love this one. nice reddish brown color with an off white head that shrinks down but never goes away. nice lace as well. smells of some fruit like plum, raspberry, cherry and vinegar as well. also some sweet sugary smell. tastes like a mix of all three fruits with a raw sugary sweetness and has an incredible sour kick. not too sour, just remarkable in my opinion. mouthfeel is soft and silky with a great carbonation that gives the drink some legs as it goes down. a real pleasure of a drink.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%