Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,615 | Reviews: 1,428

3.52/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is beer?? It tasted and smelled more like a wine than it did a beer and therefore it was very much not to my liking. It poured a large sized tan frothy head that consisted of fine-small bubbles. The body was opaque and carbonated with a red hue. The nose reminded me of pure wine as did the flavor. The mouthfeel was tingly, tangy, bitey and medium bodied. There was a fair amount of lacing with this beer.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

WOW. I won't try to describe this beer to perfection because words just won't be enough. I invited a few friends (among which owner of Ozy Pub Camilo Ospina) to try this beauty out. I'd aged it for about a year.

The pour is just mystical. you seem like you're indulging in a frambozen sort of- as in, the pour is very dark, almost purplish-brown, and the head is clearly white with a medium consistency.

The smell....well, it wasn't all that strong, but as you acknowledge it you find all sorts of blends (screw it, I won't step into this) ranging through cocktails, fruits, wines....

The taste and mouthfeel....OMG (I don't like this sort of acronym but it seems suitable). It's just beautiful, you feel like you've blended a lambic with a kir royale, and the offspring is just bliss. wonderful in soooo many senses!

I downed the drinkability and mouthfeel just for the sake of it that is, just that I absolutely was enchanted by this beer but it's not perfect (in my de leckere standards) but this IS A MUST for any beer lover. bless you, madame la duchesse.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A beautiful deep ruby red color with a bubbly tan head that leaves ample lacing upon the glass as it fades. Nice looking beer as it sits in my Maudite tulip glass.

Just an awesome red wine and malt vinegar aroma, with subtle herb and spice notes. Not lost is the mildly sweet and slightly roasty malt backing. Folks this is one of those beers I could smell all day long. It's already been 10 minutes and I have not taken a sip yet.

The taste is pleasantly tart, Still a sweet presence in the back, but sour cherries and red wine vinaigrette take charge. Interesting and really a nice balance of sweet and sour. I like this Flanders Red.

Initially feels thin but the smooth maltiness is evident and it comes across as meaningful in the mouth. Drinkable...? I drank this one didn't I? Yes this goes beyond just a sipper and if I had one I'd consider following with another.

All around a great beer.

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Very excited to see this on tap at House of 1000 Beers in New Kensington, PA.

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Dark reddish-brown, kind of burgundy, with deep plum highlights & a finger of khaki, loose head. Great color, big crown of lacing.

Smells of balsamic vinegar, tart, dark cherries, vanilla, green apple, a little leather, a little sawdust. Very complex & nicely integrated.

Taste follows aroma very closely, with some amplified acidity & more pronounced cherry & apple, wrapped up well. Wish I could say more, but it's pretty much already been said.

Full-bodied, smooth, a little viscous but with that moderate acidic bite. Very engaging.

This is one great beer. Flavorful, complex, but doesn't overwhelm or knock you out. That said, two is probably my limit. Maybe I had expectation bias, but I went in prepared to love this & I loved it, so there you go.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

This is my first Flanders Red, and I think I have a winner as my first. Reddish -brown with a giant fluffy off-white head. The smell is over-ripe apples. Tart but sweet.
Taste is more of the same. Tart and sweet.
Feel is very light and dry.
A very tasty beer and I'd imagine a good example of the style. Price is a little much but it could be nice treat every once in a while.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

i really love this one. nice reddish brown color with an off white head that shrinks down but never goes away. nice lace as well. smells of some fruit like plum, raspberry, cherry and vinegar as well. also some sweet sugary smell. tastes like a mix of all three fruits with a raw sugary sweetness and has an incredible sour kick. not too sour, just remarkable in my opinion. mouthfeel is soft and silky with a great carbonation that gives the drink some legs as it goes down. a real pleasure of a drink.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

This delightful Flanders Red Ale was served on tap on 11/11/11 at Beer Geeks in Highland, IN. It was my third beverage on the evening, but by far the best.

Radiating a deep brown-amber hue, the ale was served in flute glass with an inch head. A fruity-sour aroma tickled the nose without much effort. The aroma was quite potent. As with most good sour ales, the taste was potent. A sour fruitness was the immediate impression; this included hints of tart cranberry and raspberry. The sensations continued into the tart and fruity aftertaste. The carbonation was a little more aggressive than I would have expected, but this did not subtract from the experience. Duchesse is a delicious and refreshing experience.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

I had never had a Flanders Red Ale until this one, and I loved it!

The head was almost non-existent, while the color was of a dark brown/amber color.

I caught the aroma of a sweet wine doing a happy dance with some apples.

I didn't know what to expect, and found myself thinking I was drinking a barely malted cider with no hops to speak of. The Duchesse finished with a nice sour apple taste.

The first impression I got, especially how it hit the tongue, was that it had a much higher alcohol content then it did.

I really enjoyed this style of beer, and look forward to some...further research in this subject matter.

I would definitely recommend this brew to anyone. Much fun!

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Exp. Date is 3/2013, still 18 months out.

Pours a brown/red color w/ a nice one finger cocoa head. Amazing carbonation and lacing. Lacing sticks around forever, and would probably be on my glass tomorrow if I didn't wash it. Beautiful red highlights when held up to the light, although you can't see through it at all. Nose is cherry, yeast, sourness, funk, and some vinegar. Very nice balance on the nose- and nothing's overwhelming. Taste is amazingly smooth for what I was expecting. There is some sourness, cherry, funk, but there's also a malt smoothness to it that offsets the others a little bit. Really nice feel as well. Overall, this is a great beer. It's a good intro beer for sours, and this style as well. I would definitely have this again. Cheers.

3.64/5  rDev -12.5%

poured from a 12 oz bottle into pint glass
A - dark pour, looks a little reddish when held up to the light
S - all i can really smell is the vinegar
T - fucking amazing, green apple, lemon, little viniagrette taste, with a delicious green apple finish
M - a little puckery, nothing too extreme
O - very good beer, my first sour, highly enjoyable

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe