Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
Rudgers73

2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured from a 330 mL bottle into a short chalice. I bought this bottle because it was Belgian and I tend to like Belgians. I poured it and it looked like a nice BSDA with a deep brown-red color, tan head that stuck around, and a touch of carbonation. It smells buttery at first with a sweet smell I have never smelled before. Almost like banana and really young pears. I took a taste and it was not what I expected at all. A wild, tart, rich flood of apples, grapes, and walnuts (maybe from the oak). Until I looked at BA.com I didn't know I had stumbled into my first Flanders Red Ale. The mouthfeel was tart and dry, with sharp sticky-sweet notes. Very crisp and clean. I think I would have liked this more if I knew that it was a Flanders. I went into it expecting a deep, round, caramel taste. For now I think FRA's are a bit too tart for my taste as I am currently swinging from belgian darks to american IPA's. Too much for the time being, but maybe I'll return and buy a few in a few months.

12-15-2006 13:47:26 | More by Rudgers73
ReeseMax3

09-14-2012 17:21:28 | More by ReeseMax3
snansel

Missouri

03-17-2014 00:46:39 | More by snansel
thegodfather2701

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

This is my first beer of this style so that should probably be kept in mind when reading my review.

A-Pours a beautiful cherry/brown with an excellent off white billowy head.

S-Tart and sour, cherries and apples jump out at me, and just a hint of citrus. Its pretty complex and strong.

T-I would be lying if I didn't admit the first sip took my breath away. At first I couldn't decide if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but it was definitely a positive. It tastes like a strong carbonated water with sour cherries and apples. Vinegar comes in for the finish but is accompanied by some sweetness.

M-Carbonated but in a good way because it helps make it exceptionally refreshing.

D-I don't know if I could drink more than one of these in a sitting because it is unlike any beer I have ever had. But I definitely enjoyed the experience and will try other beers of the style.

Overall, I enjoy this beer and would drink it or other examples of the style. It is very interesting and refreshing.

12-09-2009 20:32:18 | More by thegodfather2701
kkmiller76

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

08-08-2014 00:57:21 | More by kkmiller76
ludachris

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

The body is a deep and rich amber with scarlett red highlights. Strong levels of carbonation can be seen despite its slightly hazed body. Two fingers of creamy egg shell white head sit on top and is in no hurry to recede.

The first thing that hits me is vinegar in the nose. It's dry but not at all overpowering. Notes of white grapes and apple cider add to its tartness. It's quite vinous. Musty yeast and touches of cranberries add a lot more complexity to its tartness. Very interesting and complex in the nose.

Not as tart as I thought it would be. The sweetness of the apple cider is heightened. Subdued vinegar notes reside at the back of the palate and make themselves prevalent throughout. Tart and sweet cranberries pair with subtle yeast notes in the finish. There's still a slight tartness there as well but by the end it has regressed into the background.

Light to medium bodied with a good creamy feel. Dry in the finish with a tingly carbonated kick. Very well rounded and extremely well balanced.

A great intro to this very interesting style. The tartness is present but tamed. Flavourful throughout and highly quaffable.

05-06-2011 21:20:41 | More by ludachris

innuendobrewskiman63

09-04-2012 22:28:01 | More by innuendobrewskiman63
CFHMagnet

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

"Best before 09/11/2013" printed on bottle.

A slightly aggressive pour got me a little over a finger of tan head. The body is a deep brown with red-orange hues to it. The head dissipates rather quickly, but leaves a thick healthy ring up top with a little dusting. Some lacing noted during enjoyment.

Sour vinegar and light funk are the first aromas noted. Also noted sour fruits including apples, white grapes and baking cherries.

Sour vinegar and funk start this off in the mouth, much like the nose. The continues on with the sour apple and grapes earlier noted, then makes a nice transition over to a sweet cherry flavor with notes of vanilla and black berries. Sourness stays with you the whole course of the ber, but when the sweetness kicks in it really changes it up.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. It is highly carbonated, and it is assumed that this keeps it from getting sticky and/or syrupy as beers that get this sweet can become.

As sour beers aren't really my cup, this one surprised me in being more than quite enjoyable. It is light, fruity and pleasant. It is rather inoffensive and likely a good start for introducing people to beers with a more sour side to them.

03-14-2012 20:52:37 | More by CFHMagnet

sbanacho

02-05-2013 03:53:06 | More by sbanacho
beerhan

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured into a wine glass with a lovely thick foamy head. A dark brown color with a red hue to it. Smells like fig and roasted goodness. Tastes very sweet with a strong note of candied cherries. Feels like a geuze and a faro combined almost. Very sticky on the tongue. Goes down smooth and is pretty drinkable but almost a little too rich. This is my second time drinking this, first on tap and I much say that I do prefer it from the bottle but it really is not great but quite good.

10-14-2010 04:09:17 | More by beerhan

TR0219

10-08-2013 15:05:03 | More by TR0219
kenito799

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

750 ml bottle poured into a Duvel glass. "Exp date Jun 2008" printed on the cork.

Moderate off-white head is raised on the pour over a clear dark brown brew with ruby undertones. The head fades slowly leaving wisps of white lacing, not sticky, just lazy. Looks a lot like root beer, actually.

Aroma is a promising funky lambic-style sourness, apple cider vinegar, unmistakeable cherry aroma, hints of woody oaky vanilla.

On the palate this is much sweeter than I expected. Fruity sweetness of cherries, apple hits first, really counterbalancing a nice tangy sourness...the finish is bitter like cherry pits rather than hops. Tobacco and oak notes in there...quite complex. Light body on the tongue, fizzy soda-like carbonation fills the mouth with foam, an unusual mouthfeel...no creaminess to the brew itself whatsoever. Again, sort of soda-like.

The fizziness, the nicely balanced sour tanginess and bitterness, all are just barely enough to keep the heavy fruity sweetness in check, but for me there is a cloying aspect that knocks the drinkability down a notch. Still it is an interesting, unusual and delicious beer. Would work really well with frites and mayo, welsh rarebit, or a nice braised pork or lamb shank.

09-28-2007 02:24:57 | More by kenito799

05-21-2014 06:02:48 | More by MickeyHops
BBP

Ontario (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a cherry chestnut hue with a solid head and lots of lacing.

The aroma is sour and full of tart. There's also hints of light and dark fruitiness.

The tastes starts up with both banana and raspberry. There's some tart to it as well and a bit of sourness. Mildly spicy and a bit peppery. Slight amounts of oak are detectable as well. All in all it tastes very fresh and bright.

The body is medium full. The carbonation is done nicely. It finishes dry and moderately sticky.

Overall, it's a solid drink with exceptional drinkability. Incredibly smooth as well. I'd definitely pick it up at least once. Considering it's from Belgium, the prices isn't too high either.

10-23-2011 01:24:42 | More by BBP
celticfutblclub

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - a dark reddish brown that is slightly opaque. head sticks around for quite a long time.

S - sour apple, sour dough and a bit of maltiness in the background.

T - once again sour is very apparent but its not overbearing. sour apple is the taste that comes to mind with this.

M - feels good there is a lot of carbonation but it seems to fit for me with a sour beer.

O - ah the new overall rating (im a fan). overall this is a very good beer. i've only had a couple of sour beers in my life but i enjoy them and this is definitely the best i've had to date. I'm putting a 4 here as I feel the taste rating should be somewhere between 4 and 4.5 (which is also where i feel the overall score should sit).

definitely see myself getting this again (when i have the money to drop one a $20 four pack which probably wont be soon.

03-20-2011 23:23:39 | More by celticfutblclub