Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,420 | Hads: 3,805
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

It's name includes the word "duchesse" and the design is positively renaissance, so off the bat, I'm biased to like this beer.

A - Poured into a roughly two-finger head which dissipated rather quickly. Deep, bloody orange/red color. Tan creamy head.

S - A little cocoa, dark fruit, raisins, a bit funky "wet hay" smell, tobacco.

T - Sour and funky with hints of red wine vinegar. Strong notes of pomegranate and sour apple. Absolutely no hop character, but rather finishes with malty richness, almost caramel-like. It tastes a bit like a lambic but way more pleasant than a Faro or something.

Final verdict. This is one complex and peculiar little beer and one which I would love to drink with pork and sauteed mushrooms. (725 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

bottle dated best before 10/06/2012
very intriguing brew.

poured into pint glass. deep reddish brown in color with two fingers off white head, that receded into champagne like bubbley film. nice amount of foamy lacing that coated sides of glass.

smell is complex to say the least. 6% ABV well hidden. oak and red fruit, red delicious apple, red grape, maybe sweet rasins, pomegranate, ruby red grapefruit, raspberry etc..

taste: wow, thats sweet! smell comes straight through to taste. engulfs entire palate with an explosion of flavors. very effervescent like champagne. finish is sweet and sour, perfectly ballance between the two.

mouthfeel is bubbly but smooth and dry. very nice.

drinkability is good, two is enough for me though.

reminds me some what of frambosie lambec or a malvasia sparkling wine. could be great for a dessert beer. potentially great to cook or marinate with.

cheers!
Jake (907 characters)

A: appearance is a dark royal cherry red with a with a nice amount of carbonation bubbling to meet an off white film of head consisting of about 1 fingers depth.

S: large sour notes. again cherry, some raspberry maybe and also a slight detection of a grassy characteristic. extremely sweet. aged woody oak character as imagined.

T: really complex! sour, dark, nutty, fruitful. almost like putting a sugar cube into your mouth, residing into cherries, grapes and a woody note that splinters onto your lips and across your tongue. maybe the minor detection of alcohol.

M: very sticky, covering teeth and all sides of mouth. an extremely dry finish resulting in a line of excess sugar across lips.

O: a different outcome than expected of this beer. something i could sit and have with a home cooked meal for sure but not something to have more than one bottle of i feel. loving the woody characters arising and as always the dark fruits. recommend to try (959 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A- steady lacing with a dark cherry body. The head quickly falls to a half centimeter eggshell.

S- acidic with notes of cider, sour cherries, plums, and red wine. It's bittersweet.

T- much like the smell, but with a slight punch of granny smith apples. Really reminds me of that line between sweet and sour in black cherry Warheads.

M- not a huge amount of carbonation, but a definite nudge. Think un-carbonated hard cider.

O- I love this beer. I grab it biweekly at a bottle shop 30 minutes away. (502 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +5.1%

Got it because it was on sale and said Flanders on the back. Sold! Always love the complex tastes and sour/sweet balance of Belgian sours.

Everything went as expected with this beer, until the taste. I won't lie, it was maybe too sweet for my personal expectations, but damned if I didn't drink every drop. Unapologetically sweet but still complex, it was almost like a red champagne, or one of those sparkling juices for wagon-riders. Would drink again, but I want an aged one next time, to see how that sweetness sours up. (525 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Recently had on tap at the Ginger Man. Served in a 12 oz. snifter. Deep reddish brown in color. Very little head on the pour, and little lacing.

Not as strong a nose as I had expected -- Was expecting more fruit, but smelled mostly just sour and not particularly strong. The taste more than made up for that. Big slap of sour on the tongue right from the first sip.

Incredibly easy to drink considering how sour it is. Loads of fruit flavor and that great sour bite. Highly recommend. (488 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

I struggle reviewing this properly as it is my first sour beer and the style is very difficult.

A: An unsual shade of brown, flat, without the amber color seen so often.

S: crazy vinegar. You have go back for a second whiff prepared, but then you find so much, sweet cider, ripe apples. Still though so hard to really enjoy.

T: Much smoother and less potent than the nose. An elusive sweetness, not syrupy, but one that dances with the sour tang. Ripe fruit flavors and light coco bitterness. Can't deny the complexity.

M: light but not watery with good carbonationn

D: I don't see how even a fan of the style could find any sour to posses high drinkablity. The sweetness and sour quickly spoils your palate. That being said, the lightness almost makes quaffing easier than sipping. I do think it would be better with fruit and cheese. (866 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottled, poured in a tulip glass. It pours a brownish red, with a light tan head. The head lingers around for quite some time. It has a strong aroma of fruits, tarts and some wine characteristics. It has a strong taste of fruits such as cherry and some melon. It is very palatable. It is an amazing beer overall!! (313 characters)

i bought a case of Duchesse De Bourgogne bottles in emmaus pa, at shangys. i love Flemish red ale and this is the perfect example of Flemish red. its refreshing and tastes great. its not the strongest of beers but the taste makes up for that. there is nothing to complain about with this beer. its distributed well in America and is not too hard to find. if anyone sees this beer and is curious as to what a good red ale tastes like, try it! (441 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

My interest in this beer spiked after Mark Starr from thehopry.com listed this as his #10 best beer for 2009. Picked up a 11.2oz bottle from the local Whole Foods and poured it into a large wine glass.

The Duchess poured a super clear burgundy red, fading into a deep deep orange with a 1" tanish head that mostly dissipated after a minute or so.

Right off the bat, I got a lot of red wine, vinegar and grape kool-aid on the nose as well as some maltiness in there. After I noticed the kool-aid factor I knew that this was going to be interesting.

After my first sip, I picked up the nice estery quality, complimented by a nice dose of sour and super sweet finish. After about half through, I knew that even at 11.2 oz, it would be a struggle to finish off the bottle. I would have like a larger sour profile and for the grape-aid to dialed down just slightly.

The mouthfeel was nicely carbonated and slightly syrupy.

If I had split this bottle with someone else, I would of had a much more positive review. Definitely a solid dessert sipper among friends but not as enjoyable alone. (1,091 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Dark nutty red with a great thick head which protests death and spawns again once swirled

S - Strong cherry essence almost like a mulled wine scent

T - This tastes nothing like beer. Wow. There's about 10 layers of flavor. It's a clean start then caramel and fruits and nuts then crisp finish. This beer would be great around Xmas time with a fire stoked and the smell of the xmas tree in the air. Too heavy for everyday brew-after-work drink.

M - Smooth and luxurious. Feels like royalty.

D - While not an everyday kinda drink, this brew provided tastes unseen b4. Nap time is near with this beer. Yummmzzz. (617 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Couple of 5s here because I truly believe this beer cannot be improved.

On tap, in a Belgian goblet.

Deep Burgundian red in color, with minimal head and thin lacy retention.

Aroma promised sour cherries, apples, malt, raisins perhaps?

In the mouth: exceptional! Deep and powerfully complex. Sour cherries, apples, a little salt, satisfying sweet-sour balance. Very malty and rich, a little vanilla and butter and white pepper. Not very high in alcohol which is great because I wanted to drink this all night long! (519 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Very unusual, although I am not well-versed in this style, so perhaps they are all like this! Rye or pumpernickel nose. Very fruity and malty tasting. Not much head, but highly carbonated. Slightly tastes like dry cider. Tastes more alcoholic than it supposedly is. Quite an interesting beer, and certainly worth at least trying. (329 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.5%

Ok so I haven't had many flanders reds and I know they are supposed to be sour so maybe I need to try more of them but this was tough to drink. It tasted like oaked cherry coke with a bit of port and chocolate in the background. It was a beautiful looking pour but it took me a WHILE to finish this one. It was better room temp. So let it sit for a while. I had it just slightly chilled to begin with which wasn't as good. Maybe it needed to mellow. (449 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

A: A misty deep red like the skies above Mordor with a thin white head and some fabulous lacing. You know this beer is about to get real.

S: The smell is distinctly a cherry covered in dust. It sounds gross, but it isn't. Think of all the highly romantic and yummy smelling dusty places; like a haunted house or the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. You love that smell.

T: By far the most delicious, life-changing sour I've ever had. Tart cherries blowing up in my mouth like the Grand Finale on the 4th of July. Uncooked pie dough crust, raspberries, and pomegranate all come through. It has a lightly sweet finish, and things got a little weird when I tasted angel kisses and sunbeams. HOW CAN BEER TASTE LIKE THIS? O wild yeast, my Lord and Master!

M: Crisp and tart, like new money.

O: This is currently my favorite pick for a sour, beer, AND a beverage. It never lets me down with it's crispy tart holiness and mouth-watering goody goodness. Sometimes I wake up in the night and cry out for a glass of Duchesse, screaming until the dawn. "Duchesse! Duchesse!" It must be tasted to be believed. (1,115 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

Tasted at the World Beer Festival Raleigh, NC

I wondered why so many bragged about this beer. I bought a bottle some time ago and never opened it.

Finally, I see why everyone is as amazed by the Duchesse as they call her. This beer is unbelievable, a must if you trying a Flemish Red for the first time or any time. I had no idea how much I was going to enjoy this.

A: deep, dark red almost – a barely there foam followed me down my glass

S: cherries, prunes, or raisins and other dark fruits

T: it’s a little sweeter than the smell with a gentle sour bite at the end – perfect

M: Beautiful in the mouth, crisp & creamy....how has this escaped me for so long?

D: Definitely a good beer, robust flavor with a substantial depth to it. I will definitely be drinking this more often. (806 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

This is one of my original reviews, so i regret that its not as detailed as I would hope.
Poured from a 750 ml bottle
Reddish brown ale, Very sweet, almost wine like. a little tart after-taste. It was a very good beer and I highly recommend it. I'm going to need to try this one again. (286 characters)

4.08/5  rDev 0%

From notes taken 6-28:

My first sour. It was too much for me. I'm not comfortable with the style but for the style guidelines, it was pretty spot-on.

Appearance: Dark brownish-red with a luxurious off-white head

Aroma: "Sour as hell" is all I got off of it.

Taste: Sweet maltiness with stinging cherry and tart/sour apple. There's a lot more going on under that but I can't pick it out with all that sourness running rampant.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and thick somehow leaving you dry and puckered reaching for another sip

Drinkability: I couldn't hang with it. I drank the whole bottle but it was too sour for me. Fortunately for this beer's rating (yeah, I'm sure Verhaeghe cares what I think), that's right in line with the style guidelines.

Overall: Too much sourness for me. I couldn't give this beer a fair enough shake. It was wonderfully complex but all I could pick out enough to name were the sour characteristics which a lot of people seem to love lately. Give this beer a shot - it's a masterfully crafted beer that was just too much sourness for me. (1,062 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

I realize that many people like this beer, but even after fighting through the soy sauce/mustard smell, I couldn't drink it. The strange sweet and sour taste along with the smell was a bit too much for me. Perhaps I'll try it again someday with better results. It's a pretty unique flavor for a beer, but one that I did not enjoy in any way. (341 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Now, this is a real different one!

Poured from a longneck bottle into a chalice. Dark, deep mahogany colored, with medium head formation. The aroma can be smelled right away (no need to sniff the glass). A complex blend of acidic notes that brings out shoyu, balsamic vinegar and grapes. The taste is incredibly different, and at first I did not like it. It is the kind of beer that grows with each sip. After you get used to it, the flavor gets really interesting and very complex. It is kind of in between a beer and a red wine, with that vinegar thing always in the background. Amazing, classy drink! (604 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

this is a favorite of mine, first introduced to me by my brother.

pours great with a good head. I find it best served slightly chilled or at room temperature. it has a beautiful color somewhere near a dark brownish red. the smell is simple and sweet and slightly sour smelling. the taste is stunning. passion fruit with a hint of chocolate are the flavors dominating. very sweet with an bit of an apple like aftertaste. goes down smooth, almost too smooth! the alcohol is not present at all, this beer is a great way to finish the night! Thanks, Bro! (551 characters)

Smooth and soft up front, but a mildly sour overall taste with an oak aroma.
My experience among friends with this ale is either they love it or hate it.
I personally love the taste and this is currently my favorite beer. (222 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Had this on tap at Ebenezer's in Brunswick. The taste is really reminiscent of a balsamic vinegar, especially when it first hits the mouth. The tartness didn't linger though, it left a fruity flavor behind. I've really been digging sour beers lately, and this one blew me away. Hopefully it's as tasty in a bottle. (314 characters)

Had this on tap at the Brickstore Pub last night, served in a Duchesse Chalice...

- Ruby color, nice head that dissipated in minutes.

- Smelled of cherries, vanilla, fresh sliced apples, and ripe soft plums.

- Taste? This beer is heavenly!!!! Perfect in every way....Cherry flavor, but soft to the pallet. I'd think this was aged in oak given the vanilla subtleties.

Mouthfeel - Soft velvety. Nothing harsh about this at all.

Drinkability - I swear we (3 of us) order 8 or 9 of these in between all the other beers we had at the BSP. Does that say enough?

Overall - This would be a perfect introduction to flander Red style and to craft beer in general.. I met up with a female friend of mine who gasp at beer because all she knew was BMC. After having this beer, and a few others... her mind has been changed...permanently!

Awesome beer! Cheers! (857 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

I had this as a 5 oz sampler at a Pizzeria Paradiso in Georgetown.

It was a maroonish like color with a some white topped head and a decent lacing.

Really I did not expect what a got. It smelled of slightly sour wine when I first got a wiff of the beer.

However, upon taste it became a nice tang.

I would not recommend mixing this beer with lots of random other styles, but I would certainly drink it again. (412 characters)

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe