2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1251-1275 | 1276-1300 | 1301-1325  | next › last »
Ratings: 2,646 | Reviews: 1,319 | Show All Ratings:
insaneshow

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

I love this beer, I want to drink more of it and it has opened up a whole new style of beer to me; Sour Beer / Flander's Red Ale.

The beer was sweet with rich malt flavors, I remember noticing some cherry. It was not over carbonated and tasted like it was almost half wine and half beer. The mouth feel was thick and sweet, but not grainy. The appearance in the glass was a deep dark rich red with a nice creamy head.

I would strongly suggest this beer.

12-10-2007 18:26:14 | More by insaneshow
JEFFRIBEGGIN

Italy

Beer with intense tawny color and not persistent foam. The scent has wine notes and after a persistent acidulous tone. In mouth you have a persistent acidulous tone and then you can feel a yielded tone. A little bit bitter for fight acidulous note. Not to drink alone.

02-05-2008 12:43:13 | More by JEFFRIBEGGIN
jmshipe

Delaware

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

750 ml Bottle

Pours a dark, clear reddish brown, with a ring of head. It smells quite tart, with notes of sour cherry and vinegar. You'll find a deep, sweet taste that carries along a complex mix of spices, yeast, and cider vinegar. It feels quite delicate and fizzy, which a wonderful match to its other characteristics.

This is one of my favorite beers for late fall, and through the winter. Guests are delighted to try it, and it pairs well with seasonal ingredients. A prize example of a Flemish red ale.

12-12-2009 12:28:37 | More by jmshipe
nephilae

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Reddish brown, very clear. Has a minimal head, few bubbles. Thin consistency which show little cling to the glass.

S - Smell is strong. Very oaky and fruity, showing a great similarity to a tawny port.

T - Very sweet for a flemish red. Has the characteristic sour flavor, but well-balanced with the sweetness. The taste reminds me a lot of lemon and coke.

MF - Crisp, clean, leaves mouth feeling slightly dry from the sourness. Its thin consistency doesn't leave any residue.

D - This is not my favorite style of ale, so I can't say it would be a staple. For the style, it's one of the better balanced flavors, which is not overly sour. I would favor this over others.

12-22-2008 06:23:46 | More by nephilae
JSMarsolais

Quebec (Canada)

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

This review is based on a " drank in a Miller's glass " serving type.

Even If I first tried this wonderfull beer in a Belgian restaurant close to my house, which served it in the proper glass, I have to admit that the experience was not altered in any way.

When pourred, it has a small white-beige head, a strong red color and a little bit of fuzziness. I got a nose of sweet Balsamic Vinegar. In mouth,the acidity was surpisingly not aggresive, and let the place to a perfectly balanced taste between acidity and sweetness. I also got some sweet sour cherries as an aftertaste.

Of course, the whole experience was a lot better in the first place (the restaurant), but I have to admit that this is my favorite beer. And for 3,55$ the bottle, it is more than respectable for the great time you will have drinking this delicious nectar.

03-02-2010 15:39:57 | More by JSMarsolais
derandscott

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

A. A really thick head that faded quickly and settled to a nice thin head. Spotted lace on the glass. Brown ale with a red tint.

S. Smells like aged fruit and vinegar.

T. Perfect balance of sweet and sour. Nice burst of sweet apple and sour cherry. Pleased at how well balanced and consistent it was throughout, not overbearingly tart.

M. Nice, light carbonation, not too fizzy.

D. Easily drinkable from start to finish. I thought I would devour it when I took my first sip. It contained me well though. The flavor is so full bodied and complex, it both invites you to drink more and wards you off with a lasting and lingering pucker. Looking forward to another one day soon.

12-28-2010 04:18:31 | More by derandscott
CargoCulte

Oregon

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

11.2 oz bottle via a tulip glass

A: Reddish brown, with a nice copper head

S: Cherries, plums, oak

T: A fantastic mix of fruity, sour, and tart flavors. As other have stated, the taste has the same characteristics as the smell. Nice cherry/plum like flavors upfront, with a tart sour finish.

M: Somewhat thin, with the right amount of fizz.

D: An 11.2 oz is the perfect serving size for this style beer. More than one might be overkill. But I'll definitely buying a few more to stash and drink at a later time.

01-16-2011 21:30:12 | More by CargoCulte
Evan_Duncan

2.68/5  rDev -35.4%

A - Ruby red with quickly receding sandy head. Medium lacing, and this looks wonderful.

S - Vinegar, tart sourness, stone fruits (is that plumb I smell?), the aroma is not as complex as I thought it would be; everything seems to be muddled and flat. :(

T - some funkiness, metallic, sharp sourness but pleasant. a slight stone fruit note (cherries, plumbs).

M - medium light mouth feel, somewhat thin, good carbonation.

O - The metallic flavor ruined it for me to the point where I couldn't finish it. I was really disappointed with this one. I had high hopes and it fell flat. I will try it again, but this one just did not hold up to its reputation.

07-20-2012 14:15:30 | More by Evan_Duncan
Spilly09

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Served in a snifter and left to settle for a few minutes.
Pours a dark cola color--a reddish brown. Highly carbonated, with a head that settles into a thin layer soon after pouring but maintains a nice lacing.
Nose is a pungent vinegar and a bit of cola. You know what you're about to taste when you smell this one.
Mouthfeel is big and smooth. So much going on here. Terrific.
Initially there is a huge hit of carbonation and sourness on the front of the tongue. It then moves into a big hit of balsamic vinegar, finishing with an awesome "Dr. Pepper-esque" cherry sweetness and a long, residual aftertaste. Just lovely.
This one is not for everyone, but if you would buy a balsamic flavored cola, this one’s for you. Excellent beer.

09-05-2012 01:42:07 | More by Spilly09
ShayneTrayne

Missouri

4.69/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into Spiegelau tulip.

A - Very dark amber/brown. Head never built, and quickly dissipated into a ring around the glass.

S - Mostly vinegar with some apple cider sweetness/sourness following. Mild musty smell hiding under the latter.

T - Semi-ripened Ranier cherry dominating the taste. A touch of vinegar bitterness/sourness comes through after initial fruitiness. Musty malts playing in the mix. Somewhat vinous. In ways, I'm reminded of Scrumpy's apple cider.

M - Light and slightly carbonated with fizzy bubbles.

O - This is my first beer in this style, so I'm not entirely sure of what to think of it. All I know is what I've written and that this is truly a great beer.

09-30-2013 07:30:45 | More by ShayneTrayne
ReindeerFlotilla

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

I tried this at the Hopleaf, a pub on the north side of Chicago. Got it on tap, and it poured deep brown with a small head, which dissipated quickly. The aroma was somewhat fruity with a hint of hops. The beer looked hearty, but the mouthfeel was actually a bit on the thin side. The flavor was incredible. It has characteristics similar to something like a Lindeman's Kriek, but the sweetness was not as pronounced and there was more of an oak characteristic to the flavor and it tasted more "ale-like" than a sweet lambic. The finish was wonderful -- a bit fruity with a hint of cherry. Overall, an outstanding beer.

12-23-2004 15:49:48 | More by ReindeerFlotilla
RevChico

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Poured into a goblet. Color was a mixture between mahogany and cherry wood. When poured head was about one finger thick, which dissapated rather fast. Lacing was exceptional and was there for the entire beer.

S: I picked up a good amount of different scents in this one... Dark fruit came though, as well as a very strong port wine scent, toasty, currants, molasses, peat, soy sauce, and a faint hint of chocolate.

T: Sweet up front then went into a tart dark berry & cherry profile. One of the flavors that was lingering in the background that took me a minute to put a finger on was toasted almond. Chocolate was there but very faint as well. This beer for sure had some flavor charactaristics that were similar to a port wine.
Very nice after taste.

M: Medium body, nice bubble feel on the tongue.

D: I think it's a great beer but I could only go for a few of them due to the sweetness.

The bottle I poured had been aged for at least two years in my cellar. I can't really remember what it tasted like when I drank it when I first got my hands on a few bottles. I do not remember there being as many scents at the time though. Over all a very nice beer. Would lend itself very well to many different foods.

01-18-2008 00:28:00 | More by RevChico
Carnage0070

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Had this on-tap at the Cheeky Monk, Colorado.

A - Nice 1 1/2 finger head with a deep red/brown color when held up to the light.

S - Aroma of sweet and sour fruit/cherry.

T - Medium body that finishes with kind of a scotchish/nutty flavor. The sweet and sour stay on your palate long after you finish.

D - Could have had a couple more glasses of the Duchesse! Goes down great and the flavors are outstanding!

11-09-2008 16:48:16 | More by Carnage0070
Honza

Czech Republic

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Great beer, sour sweet balance. Enjoyable for a long drink. Best in Vichte where it comes from. Verhaeghe brewery is very lovely little building, family business...just great! I was lucky enough to visit it several times. I liked their other beers too, but this is one is exceptional. i saw more beers from wooden casks lately in the US, but this is a bit different...

04-14-2009 17:48:02 | More by Honza
michaelphines

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

A - Very pretty deep red almost amber color. Head was fleeting and didn't leave much lacing. I have to say my girlfriend washed these glasses with dishsoap recently, so I'm sure I didn't get the best view.

S - The smell is a little bit overpowering for my nose. It's a strong fermented fruit smell, but goes a little far. Almost a rotting smell. Bottle marked best before 18-3-11, I was told this was the intended smell.

T - Initial taste is all berries. Strong cherry flavor on the tip of my tongue. Which fades as it goes down. Just as you think the taste is over sour notes on the back of the tongue and a dry, slightly bitter aftertaste. Definitely complex. Makes you take another sip to ride again

M - The carbonation, a little more than average tickles the tongue on the sweet notes and intensifies the dry finish on the sour notes.

D- Drinkable, but I wouldn't say sessionable. A beer you want to enjoy by the bottle, not by the case.

The smell initially turned me off to this beer. Offensive to my nose, but very deliberate. Maybe you'll like it better. The taste was a ride. I'd definitely have it again if offered, but likely will not buy it in bottles again.

07-31-2009 00:48:57 | More by michaelphines
Earthchild180

Maine

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Before this beer, for funky beers I have only had Allagash Interlude, which I LOVED. My friend and I picked up a bottle at the local co-op to go with brie, fruit, and crackers. Split two ways between an eight ounce ball jar and a four ounce tulip glass. I got the eight ouncer :-P

Just as a side note, my bottle clearly says 6%abv, so not sure why it says 6.2% on this site.

A- Poured with a perfect 1-2 finger head in each glass. Head is smooth and even. Color is a crystal clear brilliant red. No yeast sediment in bottle- perhaps they filtered it at bottling??

S- Interesting smell. On initial opening of bottle there was a very strong fruity/vinegary smell of kombucha. Upon pouring this changed to have a slight kombucha nose initially fading to malty/fruity oak.

T- Whoa! Not what I was expecting! First sip started with a nice balance of clean tart fruitiness and malt. This quickly changed to a very strong musky bitterness reminiscent of sour milk, which quickly changed again so a slightly syrupy malty tartness. A whole lot going on in this beer. The oak flavor was not as up front as the aroma suggested. If it weren't for the moderately offensive musky bitterness and the abrupt changes in flavor with each sip, I might have given this section better than a 3.5 rating. I would say that nothing was "smooth" about the drinking experience. The flavors didn't really change much as we got through the bottle.

M- An odd contrast between a slight thick syrupiness and a thin dryness- perhaps from the blending of old and new beer?

O- If it weren't for the musky bitterness, I think I would have loved this beer. It was beautiful, smelled divine, but with that musky bitterness and how the beer's flavor changed so rapidly during each sip that it was hard to relax and appreciate the subtle flavors as they slowly evolve on the pallet. Don't think I will be getting another one of these any time soon, but I would certainly like to continue trying the wild/sour beers that the US and Europe have to offer.

03-27-2011 12:27:02 | More by Earthchild180
TagOnlyForNow

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

I wish that I liked wine. But I will be more than happy settling on being a beer snob. This beer tastes like what I wish a good wine would taste like. Fruity with the sour flavor. Does not produce a head which makes it feel more like a wine or specialty mead or barley wine.

I love this beer. It is my new vice. It has removed me from all of the Belgian Heffes/Whites.

04-04-2011 04:16:56 | More by TagOnlyForNow
JokineAugustus

Manitoba (Canada)

I love this beer. It has a pleasant sour fruit smell of Cherries, Cranberry, and Raspberry. Taste is quite similar. Has a slight bready and sour fruit aftertaste that blends well. Look is beautiful bright ruby red in a glass which I absolutely adore. One of my favourites atm.

03-15-2013 00:27:16 | More by JokineAugustus
anthrocks

I've had several other sour ales, and I've always been disappointed with most of the others. This one stands tall among the rest.

L: Pours a very dark reddish-brown, with white head that turns into light lacing
S: Smells like Balsamic vinegar and sour cherries
T: Sweet and sour with a wonderful tang
F: Medium-bodied with fizzy carbonation
O: This could very well be the best beer I've ever tasted, or ever will taste.

It's expensive, but worth it. Give it a shot!

09-10-2013 01:46:57 | More by anthrocks