Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,419 | Hads: 3,796
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Ruby red with brownish tints and a nice white head. Smell is very nice with aromas of tart fruit and some malt. Medium bodied with good carbonation and flavors of tart cherries, malt followed by a fair amount of sweetness. Not overly tart with the sweetness overpowering the sour in the end. I've heard it gets more sour with age and while it is pretty amazing at this point a little more sour would be welcome.

Overall a great Flanders Red and at 10$ a 750 in my area, it is my regular go to sour. (499 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

The appearance has a crystal clarity and a ruby brown color with a thin yet always present light tan head. To the nose, there is wine like light vinegary aroma with no hop presence. The mouth feel is effervescent and there is a tartness on the front of the tongue that doesn't have the dramatic pucker of some sours. There seems to be an almost oakey middle with a sweet finish. Overall nicely balanced RBA. (412 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%

This is a delicious beer. Nice sour cherry aroma with a little bit of yeast and horse blanket. A lovely reddish brown color. The taste is wonderfully balanced - a little sweet up front, but it dries nicely. I get lots of fruit and yeast in the flavor, but not the tomato undertones that some people report. Overall, a more approachable sour red than Rodenbach, which I also like. I'm glad that I bought a four pack. (415 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

Just getting into various sour styles recently. Love the diversity of beer!

To benchmark flanders reds / browns, I've had Monks Cafe, Rodenbach and Rodenbach Grand Cru. This blew all of those away.

Poured a deep ruby with not much head. Light aroma of grape must, balsamic vinegar, some tropical fruits.

Flavor was cherries and balsamic vinegar with some definite complexity i couldnt put my finger on. much deeper (oak very apparent) flavor than the Monks, and IMO richer and more balanced than either variety of Rodenbach (both of which I enjoyed). Mouthfeel balanced the sweetness.

Insanely drinkable. Shared the 750 with two friends and bummed I didn't have another (or two!) to drink myself.

Will be seeking this out again. (734 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: The beer is a burnt amber color with a touch of haze from the chill and the yeast, exhibits a pillowy foam head with decent lacing and retention

Nose: Wow, this is something different! There is an immediate presence of vinegary tartness, most like an aged balsamic and apple cider vinegars, this is followed by big notes of oak and hazelnut as well as very subtle hints of dark candied fruits, underlying sweetness

Taste: This is one of the most acidic beers I have had the opportunity to taste, the most pungent feature of the Duchesse is her big vinegary sweet taste, however this is not the only feature of the beer. There is an underlying vegetal sweetness to the beer, complimented by a tasted of tart cherries. The finish is slightly drying and chalky with a woody, oaky complextion bringing up the end

Mouthfeel: Sour, sour and sour! Yet the beer is still creaming, with just enough carbonation to keep the beer feeling alive on the palate (961 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%

A: thin tan head, disappeared quickly, deep bronze in color
S: smells deliciously like Easter and makes my mouth water
T: truly a treat. Vinegary at first but so smooth at the finish. I taste green apple and cherries.
M: carbonated.
D: Poured into a goblet, I could enjoy the Duchesse all evening long (302 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Duchesse is a dark reddish brown at first glance, but appears bright red and bubbly when held to the light. The beer pours with purpose, surging with plenty of off-white head that slowly dissipates.

Smell: The beer smells prominently of fruit and acidity, almost like vinegar. The tartness comes through heavily in the nose. While still covered in snowy foam, the nose is less present, somewhat airy, and smells kind of like cheap champagne. Once the head disappears, however, the aromatics emerge more notably and the nose noticeably improves.

Taste: Sourness and fruit shine through with each sip. The beer is continually tart, yet there is a sweetness that comes through in the finish. Sometimes the taste of alcohol is more present than others. This beer contains a variety of flavors and their combination is incredibly pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Duchesse is highly carbonated. The mouthfeel is tingly, but not so much that it is undrinkable. That said, though, there is a noticeable lightness as it moves across the palate. While mostly smooth, sometimes it feels a little syrupy.

Drinkability: Overall, this one's pretty drinkable thanks to the silky mouthfeel and fascinating flavor combinations. It's not a session beer, but it has a lot of character, complexity, and new things to discover with each sip. (1,326 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -49.5%

My wife found this at AJ's in Ahwatukee, Arizona. She's been getting into Belgian beers, which is cool, but she didn't like this one and gave it to me to finish. I'd just finished a Stone IPA when she handed this to me, what a contrast. I guess I'm not sophisticated enough to enjoy a glassful of balsamic vinegar. That's what Duchesse de Bourgogne smells like, tastes like and looks like. Apparently this is suited to the style, but certainly not suited to my taste. (467 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14%

This is my first Flemish red, and my god I think I'm in love.
A= Deep Red color, closer to a burgundy.
S= an incredible amount of Fruitiness, but not over power like you get in lambics.
T= I can honestly say that parts of the flavor are completely indescribable to me. I taste the sour notes, but then the fruit comes in and malts follow it and then finally the funk I have heard so much about. It's final I'm a convert.
Mouth feel= Very bubbly but light on the tongue.

Drink ability= When I first really go into beer, it took me awhile to get used to the concept of wanting a bitter beer. It was contrary to my nature, but the sour and funk of this beer has pulled me in almost immediately. A highly drinkable beer, and I'm glad I picked it as my first Flemish. (764 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance - light ruby red, stacked off-white head, irregular lacing

Smell - sour cherries, noble-like hops, apple cider, acidic vinegar, light hint of alcohol

Taste - sweet tea, cherries, light caramel, apples, acidic vinegar

Mouthfeel - thin body with nice carbonation

Overall - aromas and flavors reminiscent of cherries and apples with some nice, tart, acidic qualities; sweetness light and somehow very smooth and subtle and balancing with sourness; really, really enjoyable sour (489 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: The appearance poured darker than I expected being more dark brown/black in color at first then dimming to a firm brownish-red as I tilted the glass. Either way it was pretty. The head was creamy and laced nicely in a tulip glass.

Smell: Very fruity smell with a soft oaky background. Minute sourness and it was soft and pleasant.

Taste: Sour but not overbearing. It was more tart (sour) upfront followed by a nice sweetness both in a balanced combination. The fruity smell definitely came out when drinking.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation was nice and subtle. Had almost the consistency of a lambic and was pretty tart making my mouth pucker.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. This was a unique style of beer having been my first Flanders Red but with that said, I would drink another right now if I had one :) (815 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Came in a 33cl bottle with best before date of 22-04-2006
The color was a really dark reddish brown mix with a real strong smell of fruits and spices which was evident almost immediately after pouring. I am not the biggest fan of lambric style beers so I wont diss this beer because of it. Very complex would be best served as a dessert beer rather than an actual meal beer. A very interesting mix of strong fruit flavors combined with a very earthy tone of wood added to the taste which makes sense because the beer was aged in oak casks. Overall a great choice of beer recommended for those who enjoy red wines or really rich fruity beers. (642 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

I've had this one before, but never reviewed it. Recently a friend from San Diego had occasion to try this one and fell in love. As i had a couple of them in the fridge, I decided there was no better time to have and review one.

This one is labeled a a reddish-brown ale, although the overall style is known as a Flanders Red Ale. They are typically brews that range from red to brown in color. The style often uses a Lactobacillus yeast strain producing a high lactic acid and giving a sour taste, also sometimes a Tannic acid producing that lip puckering feeling. Often aged for long periods in oak barrels, aged batches are sometimes mixed with younger ones to balance them out. The often have distinct and sharp fruit flavors that that set them apart from other Belgians.

Produced by the Brouwerij Verhaeghe Brewery in Vichte, Belgium.

This one has quite an appearance. Similar in some ways to new Belgiums La Folie, poured into a tulip glass, it has a deep brown, almost molasses, color with a faint hint hint of red when held up to the sunlight. Very cloudy and with a modest amount of carbonation, it produced a small, but sustainable thin head. The lacing left behind was nice and lite, perfect for this style.

Take a whiff of this one and you are immediately overpowered with the scent of caramel, banana, bread and a faint hint our sour apple. The caramel malt mixed with the banana is what served to really balance out the apple and bread.

As I took my first sip, I immediately tasted the sour apple I smelled earlier with the banana not far behind. Another sip brought the bead and caramel malt and this time a hint of a as yet to be determined spice. Works well with the bread, banana and apple. I felt like I was being treated to dessert! The Lactobacillus yeast really works well on this one, as it was sour, but not too tart and not overpowering.

I really liked this one overall. Not only does it do what the style intends, it just down right pleases! Don't get me wrong, this one is all beer, but may also be one that can pull those who usually shun beer over to the dark side! I had some cheesecake cake around, and really enjoyed the Duchesse as it complimented the cheesecake perfectly. Since it weighs in at around 6% ABV, if you want another you can. (2,279 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours lightly, slightly effervescent without being a bubble monster. Light and delicate head, drops down to a shimmering smokey white lace.

Smells of raisins, slight rum, maybe like an old fashioned rum cake. Fruit, like apples or apricots.

Mouthfeel is nice, nothing extraordinary but not harsh at all. Flavor is definitely fruit, again apples or some sort of cider. Effervescence is very nice, gives an exceptional feel as it goes down. Not even the slightest hint of hops, though maybe a touch of spice.

Overall an extraordinarily smooth beer, would pair exceptionally well with a cobbler, apple tart, or a summer fool. (628 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A. A really thick head that faded quickly and settled to a nice thin head. Spotted lace on the glass. Brown ale with a red tint.

S. Smells like aged fruit and vinegar.

T. Perfect balance of sweet and sour. Nice burst of sweet apple and sour cherry. Pleased at how well balanced and consistent it was throughout, not overbearingly tart.

M. Nice, light carbonation, not too fizzy.

D. Easily drinkable from start to finish. I thought I would devour it when I took my first sip. It contained me well though. The flavor is so full bodied and complex, it both invites you to drink more and wards you off with a lasting and lingering pucker. Looking forward to another one day soon. (681 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is my first sour so I have nothing to compare it to. But I really enjoyed this beer. I would definitely purchase it again. Very refreshing & complex. I will have to experiment more with this style. (206 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%

My first try of this style. Been looking forward to it and it didn't disappoint.

Poured a deep burgundy/mahogany. A little over a finger of head, retention and lacing are incredible. Smells a bit tart and sweet. Tastes very unique, sort of sweet, almost cidery. I got more apples than the berries and cherries others were getting.

Very carbonated, dances on the tongue.

Looking forward to more like this. (408 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Lovely clear, deep red/brown. Medium buff-coloured head, subsides quickly, lace persists.

Smells of tart fruit, red berries, hint of acetic. Something else interesting I recognise, but annoyingly can't place, hits the back of the nose.

On tasting, irst impression is sourness (but pleasantly so). Tart and refreshing, unsweetened fruit, a hint of caramel sweetness in the finish, with lingering stewed apples. Some malt, no bitterness at all. Refreshing sweet-and-sour, vinous.

Medium bodied, a definite tingle on the tongue and roof of the mouth, good lively carbonation, just right.

Very drinkable, clean and refreshing, unusual and interesting flavours, and well-balanced sour and sweet. Very complex, won't tire of contemplating the many nuances. An excellent beer I hope to be drinking regularly. (805 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Nice deep ruby with a 2 finger off white head. Dissipates quickly. Leaves some really impressive, thick lacing.

S - Balsamic vinegar upfront followed by deep wine like berry smells; dark raspberry, elderberry. Maybe a little bready malt. Slight oakiness.

T - The deep dark berry tastes come through much more than the nose would suggest. Definitely more ripe cherry than is detectable on the nose. Tartness at the front of the mouth, but not necessarily a balsamic tart, almost more of a lactic acid tart. Very nice sour. Super easy drinking.

M - Very smooth. Carbonation is somewhat less than I expected for the style leading to a slicker mouthfeel than many sours. But I'm totally OK with that.

O - Really excellent sour, will absolutely return to this. I could see this aging exceptionally well. (807 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +4.4%

I know this is not everyone's cup of tea, but I just love this beer. It isn't lip-puckeringly sour like some Flemish Reds, but it's still got a nice sour kick like a really good grade-school soccer player. For some reason it's always very popular with ladies, particularly white wine or cider drinkers. Perfect with clam chowder, carbonara, gumbo, and other creamy/spicy rich foods. (382 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

Tart, tangy, gorgeous to look at, this has got to be one of my all-time favorites. Notes of sour, sour cherry interlude to delicate oakiness. My only [minor] complaint is that its faint smell totally belies the explosive flavor of this beauty. Truly, a sexy beer, by all counts. (278 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -5.4%

So, I need to admit a prejudice against Flemmish reds as I go into this review. As a self admitted hop adict, it's just not my "go to" style. Nonetheless I went ahead and ordered a 350ml bottle tonight and I was favorably impressed.

As others have noted, this guy brings a Great pour to the table. I was impressed, but, alas, my beer was too cold, so I had to cuddle it for a while. Once warmed, a lot of the sour notes mellowed out and it became quite drinkable.

Still, I had the feeling I was missing something. Perhaps it's just my palate, but the sour notes overpowered everything else the beer might have had to offer.

Based on past experiences with Belgians, I toyed with the idea that food might help, so I paired some frites with mayo with it. Much to my surprise, the salt on the frites really did a number on this one, opening up a whole new range if flavors I hadn't noticed before.

So, word of caution. Come to this knowing it'll taste profoundly different from almost anything else you'll easily find.

As always, my 2¢ only... (1,050 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

330ml bottle. "Best Before" date of 7/9/05 printed on label.

Pours a deep, deep reddish brown with a stiff head and lots of lace. Aroma of stinky feet and whiffs of fruit. First taste is so sour that it jolts you. Then it settles down and you sense layers of fruit and malt. No hop presence at all. Puckering sourness balanced by some malty sweetness in the finish. Full mouthfeel and lots of carbonation. Extremely refreshing despite the intensity of the flavor and mouthfeel. Very drinkable. (496 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -11.3%

Wow! Immediately you notice it's wicked viscosity. I wondered if it was liquid bread. The head was wonderful, though a bit disconcerting as areas of different color and texture appeared as I let the head settle. The smell of it was almost like barley-wine, though not too overpowering. The taste was magnificent, very well balanced. You can taste the woodtones immediately, but the aftertaste is very pleasant, smooth. The only thing that put me off a bit was the mouthfeel...like you almost had to coax the beer ouot of the glass...halfway to yogurt it felt at times, though it mellowed out on the tongue. All around worth fighting through it at least once...MAN UP! (667 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

From a bottle that has a best by date of 29/10/2012 poured into a wine glass. Gave a nice hiss when the bottle was opened at 48 degrees.

Appearance: White puffy billowing head with a mixture of small and large bottles. Head dies down to half the hight quickly with strong lacing on the glass but the rest remains intact. Deep brownish red hue and absolute clear, like an aged Pinot Noir.

Smell: Fruity with a strong smell of Sour Cherries or unripe plums, new leather and a subtle amount of malt. The aroma is strong but not over powering.

Taste: Starts with a fruity sweetness that is soon balanced by a slight acidity and nice Plum flavor with a hint of spice. The acidity lingers with a bit of bitterness that further helps the balance with the original sweetness and carries the spice notes.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is balanced for the style, and the body of the beer is very full though not heavy. The finish is long, and the taste overall is as reminiscent of wine as the color was, which is perfectly within the style.

Drinkability: This beer is extremely drinkable, at only 6% there are no hints of alcohol for me, and though the mouthfeel is full the beer doesn't seem heavy. I would have one of these with a rich meal, relying on the acidity to cut through cream or cheese heavy dishes and the fruitiness to add to the experience. And afterwards I would have one with a cheese plate for the sheer enjoyment of it.

I would like to try a bottle of this just before the 'Best Before' date to see if there is a difference (1,536 characters)

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe