Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
4.19/5  rDev +0.7%

Reviewed on 6/7/13
750 ML in snifter

A - Brown with reddish hues, two finger light tan head

S - Interesting mix of sweet bubble gum/candy like aroma with tartness. Notes of sour cherries, sweet malt, dark fruits, and vinegar

T - Sour upfront but moderate not harsh, then sweet candy and fruit flavors in the middle. Finishes dry with some sourness lingering on the palate. Notes of sour apple.

M - Light body and very high carbonation that works well with the flavors in the beer. It actually finishes relatively smooth which I was surprised with because of how highly carbonated it is.

O - Tasty flanders red, that has an interesting sweet sour mix going on.

Profchaos20, Jan 12, 2014

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Lurkerson, Jul 26, 2013

lilnicky068, Dec 03, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Not sure when I first got into sours, but this beer doesn't dissapoint.

The Overall look of the beer is a satisfying deep red brown with a great tan head and lacing to match.

The smell is that of sour apples mixed slightly with wood.

The taste is fantastic, the sour notes hit first, the apple flavors come alive and bounce around the taste buds. It's a very tart beer.

The mouthfeel is great, the carbonation helps the beer feel light on the tongue and lets the sour notes float around the mouth. After the first sip, I can't wait to take another.

Overall, I've had this beer many times, I plan on having it again. It's currently my favorite sour.

lsummers, Mar 19, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Farnswurth, Jul 12, 2013
4.11/5  rDev -1.2%

DemoniChris, Sep 15, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -20.7%

The mouthwatering nose and stable half-inch head make this as appealing as any funky Belgian. Raw fruit and raw wood are backed by controlled bacteriological spice and this is, all in all, elegant.

The palate, however, is entirely undeveloped. Though it originally opens to impressive fruit -- raspberries and grape, mostly -- loaded with vinous, beaujoulais-like qualities, it feels thin and Spritey. Overwhelmed with an obnoxiously light soda element, this is an easy beer to forget about.

The label notes "careful maturation in oak casks," but the oak contributes little more outside of a woody flavor and some vanilla -- no body, no structure, or not enough.

Residually sweet of malt, Duchess doesn't deliver the caramel that I expect (and hoped for). Instead, this is a summery mix almost wine cooler-/mimosa-/balsamic reduction-like in its conception.

The properties of a Flemish red are here, but all the king's horses and all the king's men . . .

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, May 17, 2004
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours active with what looks like floaties popping up top and they disappear quickly into a little harmless carbonation. No head and no lace to speak of.

Smell--Wow !! Almost like vinegar. Very stinky sour acidic fruit scent. Not even a farm smell, more like musty damp socks. My high score is not because it is a pleasant smell but because it is so unusual. I like cheese to be smelly and thats the analogy I will make.

The taste is completely different from the smell. It is now sweet and slightly syrupy with a dry lemonny or citrus type finish. The mustiness comes across like some real effort has gone into brewing this stuff. Chalkiness too with maybe a tad of malt on it. Syrupy mouthfeel and not too drinkable due to its extreme taste and smell. I love it though and will definitely buy again.

rousee, Oct 11, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

The body is a deep and rich amber with scarlett red highlights. Strong levels of carbonation can be seen despite its slightly hazed body. Two fingers of creamy egg shell white head sit on top and is in no hurry to recede.

The first thing that hits me is vinegar in the nose. It's dry but not at all overpowering. Notes of white grapes and apple cider add to its tartness. It's quite vinous. Musty yeast and touches of cranberries add a lot more complexity to its tartness. Very interesting and complex in the nose.

Not as tart as I thought it would be. The sweetness of the apple cider is heightened. Subdued vinegar notes reside at the back of the palate and make themselves prevalent throughout. Tart and sweet cranberries pair with subtle yeast notes in the finish. There's still a slight tartness there as well but by the end it has regressed into the background.

Light to medium bodied with a good creamy feel. Dry in the finish with a tingly carbonated kick. Very well rounded and extremely well balanced.

A great intro to this very interesting style. The tartness is present but tamed. Flavourful throughout and highly quaffable.

ludachris, May 06, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Chinotto! Fermented, of course, with a raw fruit kind of sour pear gig going on. Nose of sweat and licorice and pungent weeds amongst sill laden four berry pies and cotton under garments hung in the soft Autumn air. Tart and sweet like the most quality of Chinese dipping sauce. Flow is frothy and bold. Me like, Todd like. More.

inebrius, Nov 22, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

11.2oz bottle, Bruery tulip, best by 10/6/12.

Gorgeous very clear red, cherry red. The head is a fairly thin, frothy tan that does seem to stick well to the glass.

Delicately acidic, like very fruity red wine vinegar. Cherry, raspberry, and cranberry all make an appearance, as does some good, honest sweet biscuit malt.

The flavors are a fuller realization of the aromas. Strawberry joins the mix and it seems like the better characteristics of rose champagne and sparkling cranberry juice are combined with beer. It has a lovely level of tannins that work to balance the sweetness in the absence of any obvious hopping. The sourness is pleasantly drying and tart.

Prickly carbonation is reminiscent of champagne, as is the tannic roughing of the tongue and drying of the mouth. One is left with little aftertaste, save a little acidity in the throat.

I love my first sour beer and Flanders Red Ale. Will power has kept me from having finished the glass already. While this sours might not be a go to, they are a new favorite. Duchesse is nothing extreme but very tasty.

brewerburgundy, Jan 03, 2011

tenacioustomato, Mar 09, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured from a 330 mL bottle into a short chalice. I bought this bottle because it was Belgian and I tend to like Belgians. I poured it and it looked like a nice BSDA with a deep brown-red color, tan head that stuck around, and a touch of carbonation. It smells buttery at first with a sweet smell I have never smelled before. Almost like banana and really young pears. I took a taste and it was not what I expected at all. A wild, tart, rich flood of apples, grapes, and walnuts (maybe from the oak). Until I looked at BA.com I didn't know I had stumbled into my first Flanders Red Ale. The mouthfeel was tart and dry, with sharp sticky-sweet notes. Very crisp and clean. I think I would have liked this more if I knew that it was a Flanders. I went into it expecting a deep, round, caramel taste. For now I think FRA's are a bit too tart for my taste as I am currently swinging from belgian darks to american IPA's. Too much for the time being, but maybe I'll return and buy a few in a few months.

Rudgers73, Dec 15, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured a darker scarlet amber/mahogany, with light head. Aroma was of cherry, raspberry, spice, and vinegar. Palate was a mix of cherry, apple, and spice, like an applesauce with a cherry twist and some cinnamon. A little on the sweet side, but decent, and a pleasant drink.

BoitSansSoif, Mar 13, 2008

nkeckhar, Sep 01, 2013

sbanacho, Feb 05, 2013

fsck, May 21, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

A brownish beer with hints of red. Aromas of cranberry, cherry, and sour raspberry. An interesting interplay of sweet and sour flavors, but it lacked some of the complexity, especially the vinegar notes, that are found in the Rodenbach Grand Cru. It lost it’s way a little on the finish too. Still good, just not fantastic.

fisherman34, Oct 18, 2005

ReeseMax3, Sep 14, 2012

snansel, Mar 17, 2014
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

This is my first beer of this style so that should probably be kept in mind when reading my review.

A-Pours a beautiful cherry/brown with an excellent off white billowy head.

S-Tart and sour, cherries and apples jump out at me, and just a hint of citrus. Its pretty complex and strong.

T-I would be lying if I didn't admit the first sip took my breath away. At first I couldn't decide if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but it was definitely a positive. It tastes like a strong carbonated water with sour cherries and apples. Vinegar comes in for the finish but is accompanied by some sweetness.

M-Carbonated but in a good way because it helps make it exceptionally refreshing.

D-I don't know if I could drink more than one of these in a sitting because it is unlike any beer I have ever had. But I definitely enjoyed the experience and will try other beers of the style.

Overall, I enjoy this beer and would drink it or other examples of the style. It is very interesting and refreshing.

thegodfather2701, Dec 09, 2009