Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,441 | Hads: 3,883

i bought a case of Duchesse De Bourgogne bottles in emmaus pa, at shangys. i love Flemish red ale and this is the perfect example of Flemish red. its refreshing and tastes great. its not the strongest of beers but the taste makes up for that. there is nothing to complain about with this beer. its distributed well in America and is not too hard to find. if anyone sees this beer and is curious as to what a good red ale tastes like, try it!

4.1/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

My interest in this beer spiked after Mark Starr from thehopry.com listed this as his #10 best beer for 2009. Picked up a 11.2oz bottle from the local Whole Foods and poured it into a large wine glass.

The Duchess poured a super clear burgundy red, fading into a deep deep orange with a 1" tanish head that mostly dissipated after a minute or so.

Right off the bat, I got a lot of red wine, vinegar and grape kool-aid on the nose as well as some maltiness in there. After I noticed the kool-aid factor I knew that this was going to be interesting.

After my first sip, I picked up the nice estery quality, complimented by a nice dose of sour and super sweet finish. After about half through, I knew that even at 11.2 oz, it would be a struggle to finish off the bottle. I would have like a larger sour profile and for the grape-aid to dialed down just slightly.

The mouthfeel was nicely carbonated and slightly syrupy.

If I had split this bottle with someone else, I would of had a much more positive review. Definitely a solid dessert sipper among friends but not as enjoyable alone.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Dark nutty red with a great thick head which protests death and spawns again once swirled

S - Strong cherry essence almost like a mulled wine scent

T - This tastes nothing like beer. Wow. There's about 10 layers of flavor. It's a clean start then caramel and fruits and nuts then crisp finish. This beer would be great around Xmas time with a fire stoked and the smell of the xmas tree in the air. Too heavy for everyday brew-after-work drink.

M - Smooth and luxurious. Feels like royalty.

D - While not an everyday kinda drink, this brew provided tastes unseen b4. Nap time is near with this beer. Yummmzzz.

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Couple of 5s here because I truly believe this beer cannot be improved.

On tap, in a Belgian goblet.

Deep Burgundian red in color, with minimal head and thin lacy retention.

Aroma promised sour cherries, apples, malt, raisins perhaps?

In the mouth: exceptional! Deep and powerfully complex. Sour cherries, apples, a little salt, satisfying sweet-sour balance. Very malty and rich, a little vanilla and butter and white pepper. Not very high in alcohol which is great because I wanted to drink this all night long!

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Very unusual, although I am not well-versed in this style, so perhaps they are all like this! Rye or pumpernickel nose. Very fruity and malty tasting. Not much head, but highly carbonated. Slightly tastes like dry cider. Tastes more alcoholic than it supposedly is. Quite an interesting beer, and certainly worth at least trying.

3.16/5  rDev -22.9%

Ok so I haven't had many flanders reds and I know they are supposed to be sour so maybe I need to try more of them but this was tough to drink. It tasted like oaked cherry coke with a bit of port and chocolate in the background. It was a beautiful looking pour but it took me a WHILE to finish this one. It was better room temp. So let it sit for a while. I had it just slightly chilled to begin with which wasn't as good. Maybe it needed to mellow.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

A: A misty deep red like the skies above Mordor with a thin white head and some fabulous lacing. You know this beer is about to get real.

S: The smell is distinctly a cherry covered in dust. It sounds gross, but it isn't. Think of all the highly romantic and yummy smelling dusty places; like a haunted house or the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. You love that smell.

T: By far the most delicious, life-changing sour I've ever had. Tart cherries blowing up in my mouth like the Grand Finale on the 4th of July. Uncooked pie dough crust, raspberries, and pomegranate all come through. It has a lightly sweet finish, and things got a little weird when I tasted angel kisses and sunbeams. HOW CAN BEER TASTE LIKE THIS? O wild yeast, my Lord and Master!

M: Crisp and tart, like new money.

O: This is currently my favorite pick for a sour, beer, AND a beverage. It never lets me down with it's crispy tart holiness and mouth-watering goody goodness. Sometimes I wake up in the night and cry out for a glass of Duchesse, screaming until the dawn. "Duchesse! Duchesse!" It must be tasted to be believed.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Had this on tap at Ebenezer's in Brunswick. The taste is really reminiscent of a balsamic vinegar, especially when it first hits the mouth. The tartness didn't linger though, it left a fruity flavor behind. I've really been digging sour beers lately, and this one blew me away. Hopefully it's as tasty in a bottle.

1.22/5  rDev -70.2%

I was very excited to try this. I thought it would be interesting since it's a mix of 8 and 18 month ales mixed, but boy was I wrong. Smell and tasted extremely vinegary and funky. I like sours, but this was not good at all. It has no fruity sourness to it, just funky vinegar.

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%

Tasted at the World Beer Festival Raleigh, NC

I wondered why so many bragged about this beer. I bought a bottle some time ago and never opened it.

Finally, I see why everyone is as amazed by the Duchesse as they call her. This beer is unbelievable, a must if you trying a Flemish Red for the first time or any time. I had no idea how much I was going to enjoy this.

A: deep, dark red almost – a barely there foam followed me down my glass

S: cherries, prunes, or raisins and other dark fruits

T: it’s a little sweeter than the smell with a gentle sour bite at the end – perfect

M: Beautiful in the mouth, crisp & creamy....how has this escaped me for so long?

D: Definitely a good beer, robust flavor with a substantial depth to it. I will definitely be drinking this more often.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

This is one of my original reviews, so i regret that its not as detailed as I would hope.
Poured from a 750 ml bottle
Reddish brown ale, Very sweet, almost wine like. a little tart after-taste. It was a very good beer and I highly recommend it. I'm going to need to try this one again.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

From notes taken 6-28:

My first sour. It was too much for me. I'm not comfortable with the style but for the style guidelines, it was pretty spot-on.

Appearance: Dark brownish-red with a luxurious off-white head

Aroma: "Sour as hell" is all I got off of it.

Taste: Sweet maltiness with stinging cherry and tart/sour apple. There's a lot more going on under that but I can't pick it out with all that sourness running rampant.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and thick somehow leaving you dry and puckered reaching for another sip

Drinkability: I couldn't hang with it. I drank the whole bottle but it was too sour for me. Fortunately for this beer's rating (yeah, I'm sure Verhaeghe cares what I think), that's right in line with the style guidelines.

Overall: Too much sourness for me. I couldn't give this beer a fair enough shake. It was wonderfully complex but all I could pick out enough to name were the sour characteristics which a lot of people seem to love lately. Give this beer a shot - it's a masterfully crafted beer that was just too much sourness for me.

2.07/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

I realize that many people like this beer, but even after fighting through the soy sauce/mustard smell, I couldn't drink it. The strange sweet and sour taste along with the smell was a bit too much for me. Perhaps I'll try it again someday with better results. It's a pretty unique flavor for a beer, but one that I did not enjoy in any way.

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Now, this is a real different one!

Poured from a longneck bottle into a chalice. Dark, deep mahogany colored, with medium head formation. The aroma can be smelled right away (no need to sniff the glass). A complex blend of acidic notes that brings out shoyu, balsamic vinegar and grapes. The taste is incredibly different, and at first I did not like it. It is the kind of beer that grows with each sip. After you get used to it, the flavor gets really interesting and very complex. It is kind of in between a beer and a red wine, with that vinegar thing always in the background. Amazing, classy drink!

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

this is a favorite of mine, first introduced to me by my brother.

pours great with a good head. I find it best served slightly chilled or at room temperature. it has a beautiful color somewhere near a dark brownish red. the smell is simple and sweet and slightly sour smelling. the taste is stunning. passion fruit with a hint of chocolate are the flavors dominating. very sweet with an bit of an apple like aftertaste. goes down smooth, almost too smooth! the alcohol is not present at all, this beer is a great way to finish the night! Thanks, Bro!

Smooth and soft up front, but a mildly sour overall taste with an oak aroma.
My experience among friends with this ale is either they love it or hate it.
I personally love the taste and this is currently my favorite beer.

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%

I know this is not everyone's cup of tea, but I just love this beer. It isn't lip-puckeringly sour like some Flemish Reds, but it's still got a nice sour kick like a really good grade-school soccer player. For some reason it's always very popular with ladies, particularly white wine or cider drinkers. Perfect with clam chowder, carbonara, gumbo, and other creamy/spicy rich foods.

Had this on tap at the Brickstore Pub last night, served in a Duchesse Chalice...

- Ruby color, nice head that dissipated in minutes.

- Smelled of cherries, vanilla, fresh sliced apples, and ripe soft plums.

- Taste? This beer is heavenly!!!! Perfect in every way....Cherry flavor, but soft to the pallet. I'd think this was aged in oak given the vanilla subtleties.

Mouthfeel - Soft velvety. Nothing harsh about this at all.

Drinkability - I swear we (3 of us) order 8 or 9 of these in between all the other beers we had at the BSP. Does that say enough?

Overall - This would be a perfect introduction to flander Red style and to craft beer in general.. I met up with a female friend of mine who gasp at beer because all she knew was BMC. After having this beer, and a few others... her mind has been changed...permanently!

Awesome beer! Cheers!

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

I had this as a 5 oz sampler at a Pizzeria Paradiso in Georgetown.

It was a maroonish like color with a some white topped head and a decent lacing.

Really I did not expect what a got. It smelled of slightly sour wine when I first got a wiff of the beer.

However, upon taste it became a nice tang.

I would not recommend mixing this beer with lots of random other styles, but I would certainly drink it again.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Ruby red with brownish tints and a nice white head. Smell is very nice with aromas of tart fruit and some malt. Medium bodied with good carbonation and flavors of tart cherries, malt followed by a fair amount of sweetness. Not overly tart with the sweetness overpowering the sour in the end. I've heard it gets more sour with age and while it is pretty amazing at this point a little more sour would be welcome.

Overall a great Flanders Red and at 10$ a 750 in my area, it is my regular go to sour.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

The appearance has a crystal clarity and a ruby brown color with a thin yet always present light tan head. To the nose, there is wine like light vinegary aroma with no hop presence. The mouth feel is effervescent and there is a tartness on the front of the tongue that doesn't have the dramatic pucker of some sours. There seems to be an almost oakey middle with a sweet finish. Overall nicely balanced RBA.

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%

This is a delicious beer. Nice sour cherry aroma with a little bit of yeast and horse blanket. A lovely reddish brown color. The taste is wonderfully balanced - a little sweet up front, but it dries nicely. I get lots of fruit and yeast in the flavor, but not the tomato undertones that some people report. Overall, a more approachable sour red than Rodenbach, which I also like. I'm glad that I bought a four pack.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%

Just getting into various sour styles recently. Love the diversity of beer!

To benchmark flanders reds / browns, I've had Monks Cafe, Rodenbach and Rodenbach Grand Cru. This blew all of those away.

Poured a deep ruby with not much head. Light aroma of grape must, balsamic vinegar, some tropical fruits.

Flavor was cherries and balsamic vinegar with some definite complexity i couldnt put my finger on. much deeper (oak very apparent) flavor than the Monks, and IMO richer and more balanced than either variety of Rodenbach (both of which I enjoyed). Mouthfeel balanced the sweetness.

Insanely drinkable. Shared the 750 with two friends and bummed I didn't have another (or two!) to drink myself.

Will be seeking this out again.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: The beer is a burnt amber color with a touch of haze from the chill and the yeast, exhibits a pillowy foam head with decent lacing and retention

Nose: Wow, this is something different! There is an immediate presence of vinegary tartness, most like an aged balsamic and apple cider vinegars, this is followed by big notes of oak and hazelnut as well as very subtle hints of dark candied fruits, underlying sweetness

Taste: This is one of the most acidic beers I have had the opportunity to taste, the most pungent feature of the Duchesse is her big vinegary sweet taste, however this is not the only feature of the beer. There is an underlying vegetal sweetness to the beer, complimented by a tasted of tart cherries. The finish is slightly drying and chalky with a woody, oaky complextion bringing up the end

Mouthfeel: Sour, sour and sour! Yet the beer is still creaming, with just enough carbonation to keep the beer feeling alive on the palate

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%

A: thin tan head, disappeared quickly, deep bronze in color
S: smells deliciously like Easter and makes my mouth water
T: truly a treat. Vinegary at first but so smooth at the finish. I taste green apple and cherries.
M: carbonated.