Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros

I can't believe that only a few days after reading about this brew here on BA, I found it on tap at La Cav du Vin here in Cleveland. Having moved here a month ago, I was worried about finding good sour flemish ale. Apparently there is no need to worry, as the Cleveland beer scene, whether it's good bars or good brewpubs, is alive and VERY well. I used to live in Providence (Union Station, Trinity), so I've got something decent to compare to if you include Boston (Sunset, Beer Works) and New England (Moat Mountain, Vermont Pub & Brewery, The Alchemist) in general.
OK, so I at least think I know what I'm talking about...

I definitely smelled balsamic vinegar, but not overpowering at all. Just a hint of that dark, sweet acid.
Very little foam, unsurprisingly for a sour.
Smooth mouth feel, with a nice subtle tingle of carbonation.
Taste of balsamic, caramel, cherries.
Lightly sweet, perfectly balancing the sourness.

Wow.

I would say this is a great intro to sours, but the imbiber may be spoiled. Truly sour reds might shock them after this.

Fortunately, I also discovered this in a four-pack at Warehouse Beverage on Mayfield Road. Sixteen bucks will make me wait until my next (first!!) paycheck.

Peace.

Meeg, Sep 13, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

A- The color is hazy reddish brown, almost cherry wood. About 2 cm of beige head that quickly subsides, leaves a pleasant lacing.

S- Pleasant smell of early souring milk, or even sourdough

T- The sweetness is pleasant, the sourness not overpowering, and both work together to great effect. Surprising floral quality to the taste, rose water or rose hips. No significant bitterness.

M- The mouth feel is medium bodied. Not very tannic.

O- Overall excellent, the perfect sweet and sour in the world of beers. Goes well alone or with a milder tasting dish such as white fish of shellfish.

P.S. The artwork on the sticker is great.

idurra, Apr 02, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured a very amber/redish hue with a thick head. The initial aroma was sour and vinegar but when it opened I got spice specifically cinnamon (my wife actually got that).

The acidity stays with the beer as I drink but it mellows and there is a little sweetness before the sour takes over. My first impression of the taste was not great however as I drink I find this beer growing on me. It is very good for its style but not an everyday beer for me.

Jono0284, Feb 05, 2011

sarabee, Jan 15, 2012

Agent009, Sep 11, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

I am very new to this style of beer so I do not have the taste profile down yet but I will say it was an intresting and enjoyable experience.

A = Autumn brown with and poured with great head..it did go down pretty fast and with little lacing on the glass

S= Really smelt the oak and fruitness from the get go...loved it

T= Very apple and fruity...and sweet, i as sure wine drinkers would like this style of beer

m= tangy..and sweet...but good

D= good but not sure I could have more than two at a sitting since it is very sweet

cruzncomet, Nov 21, 2010

Free11Skier, Sep 13, 2014

Gojira84, Jul 06, 2014

flatfootdrinker, Jul 27, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Very similar to wine, goes perfect with steak....

ham413, Aug 19, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

750 ml
Expiration Date 08/2012

A - Delicate small bubble Belgian lace. Red orange glow.

S - Sour apple and grapes. Akin to a fine dry white wine. Faint oak aroma.

T - Sour with a perfect balance of sweet sensation. White grapes. Delicious delicious funk.

M - Perfectly carbonated. Decadent.

D - Brilliant. I could drink this for hours until I succumb to a happiness comatose state.

bnieman, Jan 13, 2011

gratefulstu, Nov 03, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

I have had this beer on many occasions, even having it on tap at home a couple of times (since it is the wife's favorite). But I thought I would write a review for the bottle we drank last night, aged just over three years. Although I did not taste it side-by-side with a new bottle, my wife and I are familiar enough with the flavor to notice the differences.

For Valentine's Day I pulled out of the cellar the bottle I had been aging since June 2005 to pair with the chocolate dipped strawberries. The expiration date on the cork said Nov. 2007, so I suspect bottling date was Nov. 2004. I had stored this in my cellar on its side.

Served in the brewery-designed glasses, it poured clear dark reddish brown. The head was thinner and with bigger bubbles than new bottles, and head retention was also a lot weaker.

The aroma was roughly the same (cherry, brown/candi sugar, some balsamic vinegar) with a bit more wood.

The flavor and mouthfeel were noticeably different and better than the fresh version. First, the texture was lighter than normal and more velvety. The flavor profile was very similar--sweet, cherry tart, a bit woody, sugary--but the usual balsamic acidity in the finish was gone, making it more drinkable and enjoyable.

It paired very well with the chocolate-dipped strawberries.

I highly recommend to fans of this beer to age some in a cool dark place for three years. I can't imagine that it could get better, so probably wise not to keep much longer.

Chinookie, Feb 16, 2008

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Day #4 of a "A Beer a Day" for summer.

A: Two fingers of cream head on a brilliant reddish/brownish body. Beautiful thick lacing all around the glass that lingered throughout.

S: cherry, apple, and a plenty of vinegar. I was worried that it would have too much of a vinegar-y taste

T: But, it turns out there wasn't too much to worry about. It was dry. There was some tartness, but more sweet than tart. Apple, apple, and more apple to me. very smooth and inoffensive to drink.

M: Light, crisp, with lots of sweet carbonation. A slightly tart/vinegar coating on the tongue was the only aftertaste.

O: This went down really smoothly. I've just come off a bit of a wild ale kick, having just had a Supplication the other night. I was expecting something heavier, but was pleasantly surprised. This was a great beer after a long day. Will definitely enjoy the rest of the four-pack.

bonemuse07, Jun 24, 2011

chew76, Nov 19, 2011

pochman, Nov 16, 2011

Tom052, Dec 08, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

I had 2 of these at the Tap Room in Warren, NJ last night. The brew looks gorgeous when poured into the chalice I drank it in - almost a ruby color.

There wasn't much of a strong smell - a little vinegery, and a bit fruity. I really liked the taste, although definitely more sweet than sour. A little more sourness and a little more alcohol would make this beer nearly perfect. I'm reminded of Rodenbach when drinking this, but as said before, a bit more sweet.

I would definitely order this beer again if I ever see it. Would also be a good introductory beer if you're not used to this style.

WildRage, Nov 13, 2010