Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

cptneutrino, Jan 27, 2012
4.73/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, really had what I look for in a sour. Dark fruit tartness and strong sour acidity. After the first few sips I could really get all the tropical fruit tang although every few sips I do catch a whiff of a solvent like alcohol flavor especially on the back on my palate. But overall a amazing beer great for satisfying a sour crave.

BrandonBahula, Nov 29, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

A-A dark red color. Nice foamy head that retains well. A good amount of carbonation bubbles streaming up to the head.

S-Vinegar smell is what I got fist but also tart apples. The funky aroma that one would expect from a Belgian beer.

T-An upfront tartness. Good blend of sour and sweet. Pleasant apple taste. And just when you think the sweetness is over powering you get a good and lighting fast bitterness that leaves just as fast to cut through the sweetness.

M-Very foamy and full of zest from the carbonation. Slightly chew but still light.

D-Extremely drinkable. I think it would be perfect to have on a nice summer day sitting out on the deck or proch to end the day.

danielofthedale, Jan 28, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Drank from a 750ml bottle. Shared with a friend. Still, perhaps a bit much for a beer of this style.

A- Dark amber in color, with a thin, lacy head.

S- When I first poured this beer I found the smell to be rather off-putting. It had a strange, chlorinated smell to it. It almost reminded me of the local YMCA pool. But the deeper I got the more other flavors began to express themselves. I got hints of apple, cherries, and maybe some pear? I couldn't really tell, but the overall fruitiness was readily apparent when you got past the pungent first smell.

T- This is where the beer blew me away. All of the strange aromas of the smell disappear after the first taste. This is nothing but goodness. The apples and cherries are immediately apparent. A sour taste begins to develop the longer you hold it in your mouth, but this is by no means a bad thing. It is actually a pleasant counter to the sweetness of the fruits. I had read previous reviews where people have said they've tasted a vinegar-like quality, but none of this was apparent to me. I got hints of lambic, but more earthy.

M- A very thick, sticky mouthfeel. Like I said before, a pleasant sourness starts to develop the longer you taste it. A slight carbonation is also present.

D- Very good. As I stated at the beginning, it can be a bit overwhelming when had from a 750ml bottle, but I can see buying an 11.2oz of this and thoroughly enjoying it. A great dessert beer to enjoy.

All in all, I was mighty impressed by this beer. The smell turned me off a bit at first, but it was a small problem with an otherwise delicious beer.

pjcors, Mar 07, 2011

kilad, Feb 19, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured into pint glass from 330ml bottle.

A- Beer has a dark ruby brown colour with nice head on the pour. Head dissipates very quickly though leaving good lacing.

S- Very complex aroma, a little shocking at first but quite pleasant. Balsamic vinegar, Rose Champagne, sour cherries, red grapes. All good.

T- The tartness of this beer hits first with more of the nose. Balsamic vinegar is what i'm getting mostly with good sour fruit notes as well.

M- Nothing crazy here, good carbonation and medium long finish.

O- Wow, I'm fairly new to the style but I can tell i'm a big fan of flanders reds. Nothing like a nice complex beer to finish the day.

GeraldFunk, Apr 04, 2012

picgla, Aug 31, 2014
4.64/5  rDev +11.5%

Sylk, Aug 28, 2014
2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

Poured from a 330ml bottle, best before 24-08-07. Appearance is very nice, a dark brown/red color with a 2 finger head that persisted. Lots of lacing left on the glass as I drank the beer. Off to a good start. Smells sweet and fruity, interesting, sour apple and cherry mostly. Taste amplifies what I smelled, whew. Starts off sweet but quickly turned sour. I like sour fruit beers but this tasted exactly like apple cider vinegar to me. The vinegar taste overpowers and is what's left in the aftertaste. Does not have much of a beer taste. Mouthfeel is ok, perhaps too full bodied, carbonation is fairly high. I didn't find this overly drinkable, would not have more than one. I would not buy again. This is my first experience with this style, so perhaps this is what it's supposed to be like, but I can't get past the apple cider vinegar taste.

stangelj, Aug 14, 2006

Beer with intense tawny color and not persistent foam. The scent has wine notes and after a persistent acidulous tone. In mouth you have a persistent acidulous tone and then you can feel a yielded tone. A little bit bitter for fight acidulous note. Not to drink alone.

JEFFRIBEGGIN, Feb 05, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Why ever drink any thing again after this beer. I love this beer I can’t stop drinking it. I drink it in my Maudite Tulip glass...The color of Duchesse is a wonderfully dark red and it looks awesome behind the maudites winged devil...the head is around 2-3 fingers and a light tan color not real sticky but some nice lace. Smell is a sour smell but so much more...hard to explain I fine this beer very complex. Taste is sour and very drinkable no ALC. taste, being only 6%abv. This was expected. All in all if you are looking for something different to try, try a sour Flemish tonight and this is an awesome example of them.

hummni, Mar 05, 2007

Froth, Nov 19, 2011

Ruthielax42, Jul 20, 2014
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

750 ml Bottle

Pours a dark, clear reddish brown, with a ring of head. It smells quite tart, with notes of sour cherry and vinegar. You'll find a deep, sweet taste that carries along a complex mix of spices, yeast, and cider vinegar. It feels quite delicate and fizzy, which a wonderful match to its other characteristics.

This is one of my favorite beers for late fall, and through the winter. Guests are delighted to try it, and it pairs well with seasonal ingredients. A prize example of a Flemish red ale.

jmshipe, Dec 12, 2009