Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
2.88/5  rDev -30.8%

My first sour, enjoyed before dinner with my wife and our friends. Poured into a tulip glass with a murky reddish-brown color. Lighting at Falls Taproom isn't great though. Head was white and substantial. Smells a bit musty, malty sweetness also, and a hint of vinegar. Overall light aroma, nothing overpowering. Flavor was initially sweet and sour, mostly sour and sort of a balsamic quality. This flavor, while pleasant, departed quickly and the aftertaste was musty. Sort of like a wet dog smell that lingers on the palate. I've experienced this in the past (most notably with Arrogant Bastard) and my guess is that certain hops disagree with me. Unfortunately the aftertaste is what lingered. Mouthfeel was a little sticky, but light. Overall impression was disappointing. I was looking forward to a mouth-puckering vinegar experience (I loves me some deli pickles) but the aftertaste overwhelmed the initial sour flavors. This was my first "sour" so I'll probably try it again. Geez though they're always so damn expensive!

4.41/5  rDev +6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Though I love my late-night after-work mini mart with it's good selection of single bottles, my luck at finding imports that haven't been staring at the UV lighting too long is about 50/50. I asked the clerk to fetch me a bottle of this one from the back side of the reach-in. At almost $0.50 per ounce, I wanted to improve my odds.

The dark tea-colored body was clear, the off-tan rocky crown short -lived, and the lacing minimal. But once I shoved my nose into the snifter, it didn't want to come out. I found a nuanced melange of tart fruit, rich chocolate, fig pudding, and sherry.

A few local brewers have been trying their hands at this style, but my first sip washed away all expectations for another "learn-to-like-it" vinegary concoction. This beer is all silk and satan. Tart cherries and granny smith apples wrapped in a softly spiced European pastry. With no bitter flavors to be found, the wonderful yeast qualities are testament to the attention payed to the blending of the newer and older vintages. As the flavors slowly dissipate the sweet flavors at the front of the mouth are fully distinguishable from the tart flavors in back.

Light bodied and very lively without being sharp, kind of a thick blanket of effervescence. Like a vacation I don't want to leave, I'll come back again and again.

Duchesse may very well be the best sour ale I have ever had and it pours a deep chestnut brown color with notes of tart fruit, notably cherries, and dark malt. Since this ale is aged in oak conditioned casks, Duchesse has a red wine like feeling to it. The array of sweet and sour flavors are perfectly balanced throughout this Flanders red ale, and it’s velvety smooth from start to finish.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2oz bottle poured to snifter. Best by date of 5/1/2013.

A - Pours ruby red with about two fingers of off white head and some lacing.

S - A bit softer of smell than expected, but it is welcome. It smells almost like a sour wine, with a hint of brown sugar. Not overpowering at all. Very unique.

T - An amazing balance here. Sour cherries and a hint of vinegar up front, which gives way to an unexpected sweetness which was a great treat. Lots going on.

M - Light body, and good carbonation.

O - I'd been thinking about trying this for some time, but could never pull the trigger. Thank goodness I did, because this is a treat. An exceptionally good sour, and one I will continue to by from now on.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

It's like eating a kobe beef hot dog with mustard and ketchup plus a berry compote on top.

Seriously...this is why I'm a fan of wild yeast. This beer is very unique. Honestly I'm a much bigger fan of this than Rodenbach. Definitely worth a try, or two.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Elegance, as inherited through primogeniture and blue blood, has long passed. In its place is something we prefer to call class, which is related to archaic elegance but only remotely. Anybody can have class; the magnate in his vogue mansion or the cad in on the street. It isn’t easy to learn it, and its impossible to purchase it, but class can be trained. Elegance, as the wealthy were expected to have in years past, is altogether unattainable, even for some of the rich. The first and most obvious requirement is to be ejected from the womb of a bourgeoisie, and preferably to have been fathered by one. After that, it was merely a game of chance against in-breeding and developed tyranny that sculpted the, quite literally, nouveuax rich into adulthood. History is replete with cases of royal albinos, trisomy 21, incompetence or just plain idiocy. Also, there are the benevolently raised children of the upper classes that accrue an unnatural concept of class warfare, who then exercise their power with excessive enthusiasm. Let us take the few remaining cases of the beautiful, the wise and the kind regal individuals. The ones coursing with blue blood and compassion, and the ones imprinted in fairy tales and a few justly optimistic histories are those we speak of with an elegance no longer found today, save for a few obscure descendants living on vestigial fortunes. But I’ve found one, remarkably gentle but rich, formal but enjoyable, sweet but mature. The Duchess de Bourgogne, though fictional, is a blurry depiction of some royal lady whose personality doubtlessly charmed her family and subjects alike. She is the altruist from above, showering the ground with coins and flowers from her ivory tower. All I’ve done is told a story, one that I think is nicely summarized in the Duchess de Bourgogne beer. The crepuscular and mellowed tone of the beer nuzzles against the glass below the margaritaceous crown of foam, baring nothing to the unobservant eye. It’s a chaste and modest drink, hinting at its alluring flavor by breathing a slow but diligent waft of green apples, confectioner’s sugar, orange zest, shining red cherries and oak. Below this divine vapor sits the chaliced drink, reverently waiting for imbibing. There the eager drinker finds a similarly rich batch of flavors. Faint vinegar coarseness guides the column of tastes, featuring a light and sweet honey, red and white grapes, orange zest (amongst other citrus) and a very heavy and bombastic conclusion of oak. Poignant and garrulous as the Duchesse may be, it still fits “elegant” nicely. The blend of friendly and charismatic flavors allows anyone, be they friend or foe to beer, to pick up a glass and enjoy. If the rich and bold, sweet and sour flavors do not suffice the claim to elegance, then at least the extrovert, humble and generous nature of the Duchesse does. These are, after all, higher qualities that we aspire to. That is, if we want to be classy.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into glassware.

A deep red/brown in color with a pillowy white head. Great vinegar'y smell typical of flanders. Has a great fruity sweetness coupled with a sour and bitter taste characteristic of its style. There is a little extra bitterness/funkiness on the backend of the taste, which dropped my rating a little.

If it wasn't for the cost of these little bottles, I would certainly be drinking more.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

This was my first Flanders Ale, and it was a rather interesting beer. Expiration was 12/2012

Appearance: Burgundy. Thick, dark burgundy that reminds me somewhat of a good Irish Red.

Smell: Strong nose of cherry, hint of bubblegum, slight floral bouquet.

Taste: Overwhelming taste of sour cherry, which is complimented extremely well by a hint of malt. My only complaint is that the cherry comes on a little too strong. Toning it back a bit and maybe adding a tiny bit of hops would make it perfect.

Mouthfeel: Thick, juicy, smooth. Feels like velour in the mouth (yes, I watched Futurama while drinking this... and Zap Brannigan's catch phrase stuck with me...)

Overall: The only improvement I could suggest is toning back the cherry a little bit. Otherwise, it's an absolutely superior brew.

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

11.2 oz bottle. Up front sourness followed by a orange, cherry aroma and some vinous qualities. Clear burgundy in color with a small off white head. Aggressive up front sourness, rounded with hint of sour cherries, sherry like, somewhat acidic and a little bitter orange peel. A little astringent for my tastes and the sweetness lingers on the back of the throat. Pretty good job of playing the sweet and sour contrast but seems a little rough around the edges. The aggressive sourness makes it a little one dimensional IMHO.

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap and thought it was brilliant!! After having this beer I became aware of how biased I was toward American craft beers. This beer pours a beautiful deep chestnut with limited head. The nose has sun dried fruit with a flavor that has a nice maltyness with raisin. mmmm!

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe