Duchesse De Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Duchesse De BourgogneDuchesse De Bourgogne

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duchesse De Bourgogne Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

Jrod82, Jun 20, 2014

Gillti, Jun 21, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Insan, Jul 17, 2014

Jwbeck, Aug 09, 2014
3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

So, I need to admit a prejudice against Flemmish reds as I go into this review. As a self admitted hop adict, it's just not my "go to" style. Nonetheless I went ahead and ordered a 350ml bottle tonight and I was favorably impressed.

As others have noted, this guy brings a Great pour to the table. I was impressed, but, alas, my beer was too cold, so I had to cuddle it for a while. Once warmed, a lot of the sour notes mellowed out and it became quite drinkable.

Still, I had the feeling I was missing something. Perhaps it's just my palate, but the sour notes overpowered everything else the beer might have had to offer.

Based on past experiences with Belgians, I toyed with the idea that food might help, so I paired some frites with mayo with it. Much to my surprise, the salt on the frites really did a number on this one, opening up a whole new range if flavors I hadn't noticed before.

So, word of caution. Come to this knowing it'll taste profoundly different from almost anything else you'll easily find.

As always, my 2¢ only...

mallthus, Jan 10, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apples, apples, apples. This beer pours dark with a reddish tinge. For some reason, I thought it'd be lighter. As other people have said, it smells like apple cider vinegar, but not bad. I think it's pleasant. It tastes like fresh apples, like I picked them myself--more sour than sweet. It's not overly sour, though. In fact, I thought it would be more sour. I really like this--it's very refreshing.

jbart, Jan 14, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

I love this beer, I want to drink more of it and it has opened up a whole new style of beer to me; Sour Beer / Flander's Red Ale.

The beer was sweet with rich malt flavors, I remember noticing some cherry. It was not over carbonated and tasted like it was almost half wine and half beer. The mouth feel was thick and sweet, but not grainy. The appearance in the glass was a deep dark rich red with a nice creamy head.

I would strongly suggest this beer.

insaneshow, Dec 10, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Nice dark brown color with surprisingly light colored head. At first whiff it reminded me of very expensive balsamic vinegar and strong cider without the spice. My first taste was taken slow and a small amount because I figured this sour brown was gonna do a number on my palate. Much to my surprise The sourness did not trash my mouth as New Belgium's La Folie did the first time. A little more acid then most but flavors of apple cider, balsamic vinegar, sweet dried fruits, with tart finish on the backsides of the tongue. Better to be enjoyed out of the 4 pack if drinking alone or shared with a friend if enjoying a 750 ml.

duncan9idaho, Apr 05, 2007
2.17/5  rDev -47.8%

750ml caged/corked bottle poured into a tulip glass.

i was really expecting to thoroughly enjoy this beer, as i have heard so many good things about it and am a fan of the style. perhaps i had a bad bottle, but this did not live up to my expectations.

appearance/pour was nice....dark amber color, nothing out of the ordinary.

smell was overwhelmingly vinegar and acidic. some faint fruity and yeasty notes were present, but the vinegar dominated.

taste was...not what i expected. man, this is a sweet beer. too sweet for this BA. there was a faint sourness and a little funkiness, but the sweetness just dominated the flavor profile.

i had trouble drinking my 8 oz. pour, and couldn't see myself handling any more.

21mmer, Jun 12, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Kittenlynx, Jul 14, 2012

indiecx, Aug 11, 2014

Bosmar, Dec 15, 2011

TGCarr, Mar 22, 2012
4.56/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Oh man, I cannot believe some of the more recent reviews. Maybe the quality has started to diminish in the recent months and I am finding the last of their good stock. Somewhat doubtful, however.

A: A dark reddish brown color, somewhat like mahogany. Small to medium head on average, usually resting at a small head that doesn't always dissipate.
S: Strong vinegar smell that leaves a lasting impression on a night that involves various styles.
T: Solid throughout. Starts out with a carbonated and slightly sweet flavor, finishing out with a strong vinegar/sour note. In terms of sourness, I'd place it between a Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale and a Cuvée des Jacobins Rouge.
M: Light carbonation upfront, enough to be refreshing on a hot day.
O: One of my favorite brews. In North Texas, price ranges between $3-5/bottle, and I'd say it's well worth the cost. On the few occasions I have been able to find the larger bottles (shaped like the apollinaris, volume like a bomber) I snatch up as many bottles as I can carry. Worth the money every time.

hippogasmo, Jun 20, 2014

Paul_H, Aug 24, 2014
4.36/5  rDev +4.8%

oh_sacred_hops, Sep 25, 2014
4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have had this brew only bottled (VERY envious of those who can get it on tap!) but am writing this review after the 750 ml bottle.
First, the appearance. Absolutely gorgeous! Dark brown with beautiful mahogany red edges, nice creamy white head that lasted a remarkably long time. The aroma struck me as wine-like with a hint of oak and vanilla (not surprisingly as oak has the second highest concentration of the chemical vanillin from which vanilla beans get their flavor and aroma) and perhaps a touch of raisin as well.

The taste is very hard to describe other than to say that it is very complex with a bit of fruitiness, malty sweetness and an acidic note like cherries or even blackberry. It seemed to begin with a softly tart maltiness that then subsides and very much flows into the fruity notes ending with just a hint of raisin. Amazingly good stuff!

I found it to be eminently drinkable which I set out to prove by finishing 2 of the 750 ml bottles over a 4 hours period. Was saddened once it was gone. I will be stocking up on this for the upcoming holidays!

BubbaSteve, Oct 28, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

This beer is a great introduction to sour beers, with a soft approach to the vineous flavors in the flanders style. As I drink more and more sour beers, this beer's back sweetened style is less palatable. But the complexity in this beer will blow the mind of someone who hasn't had a sour beers and it won't create a phobic sour beer hater...

np0x, Jan 17, 2010