Verhaeghe Echte Kriek / Echte Kriekenbier - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Verhaeghe Echte Kriek / Echte KriekenbierVerhaeghe Echte Kriek / Echte Kriekenbier

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 11-18-2002)
3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

This is a very red beer, almost cherry red with a pinkish cap on top. It is relatively clear and carbonation is visible.

The smell is sour cherry predominantly. Also a bit acidic and dry smelling. If you like a tart aroma, this one will do.

Lightly sweet at the front, but the palate doesn't have much time before a big puckering tartness takes over. Cherry is mostly noticed after you recover from the sourness. A faint brett must seems to linger in the background.

Prickly carbonation I find takes a little away from the mouthfeel. It is almost like a thin cola in the way it feels to drink. Not a strong point.

This is a different one, it has moments where I quite like it, then some where I'd rather be having something else. I wouldn't have more than one of these at any given time.

3.08/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

on tap at Maduro during happy hour

appearance: served in a St Louis pilsner-esque glass...clear bright rose body with a light beige head.

smell: hmm, kind of a cheap whine characteristic, big tart cherry sourness, lightly earthy, light woodyness

taste: Just not really my thing...tart and sour cherry, a touch woody, one sided and tough to drink

mouthfeel: tart and sour

drinkability: not for me

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy russet color with a vaguely lavender head; not much retention or lacing, but just enough

Smell: Cherry soda and a subtle earthy sourness; a touch of alcohol

Taste: Starts out with a rather sweet cherry base; after the swallow, a quick sourness kicks in that joins with a woody flavor and the sweet cherry into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Although not a classic Flanders Red, this is an enjoyable fruit beer; enough depth of flavor to please a beer lover but not so wild as to turn off all but the true lambic lovers

4.35/5  rDev +13%

The head is reddish purple, the color is purple and very dark. The lacing isn't very strong. The smell is fruity and sour like cherries. It also has some woody tones to it. The taste is sour with a woody flavor and a fruity cherry. Mouthfeel is smooth and cool. Overall this was very good, I would have another.

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

11.2 oz bottle served in a Delirium Tremens glass. Date on the back says best by 07-07-07. Purchased a 4-pack for $12.99

Appearance: A beautiful dark ruby red color, with a head with some red hues in it that looks quite nice also. Some splotches of big lacing are left around.

Smell: Plenty of sourness from the cherries, along with some vinegar aromas, but also some nice over-ripeness also to add some of the sweeter nature of the fruit. Some vanilla, oak and woodiness is also present from the aging of the beer. I like the added cherries a lot, along with the oak, as it adds a much more visceral and vinous nature.

Taste: A very nice mix between tart, sour, and deliciously fruity, with the juiciness of the cherries adding a lot. There's also some interesting phenolic earthiness in the taste, which also adds some depth. Finishes slightly dry, with some oak left on the back of the tongue, which I really like.

Mouthfeel: A champagne-like quality of carbonation at that ends up becoming fuller and less bubbly than if it starts cooler. I wouldn't want this beer with any less carbonation; the tickle you do get with the carbonation I think only enhances the flavors and the experience of drinking it.

Drinkability: This has become one of my favorite styles, and to me this is one of the best I've had. I wish more domestic breweries would take a shot at the style; I know some are doing it, but it's about time more start. The style for me is a treat in general, and with the added cherries and oak again and the quality of this beer, I highly recommend it.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

4 pack of this, brown 330ml bottles, BB date on back label. (As per label) It is a "refreshing cherry ale matured in oaken casks with adition of 150 gram per liter of only whole cherries."
A very interesting color, depending on the angle and light, it seems to change from oak brown, to deep cherry red, to pinkish around the edges. First impression is that this is a fizzy cherry soda, streams of carbonation that actually pop on the surface. You can smell the cherries right away, not sweet and sugary, but more of a tart and sour. More tartness in the flavor. You can taste the fruitiness, but also the sourness as expected from the style. The mouthfeel is kind of thin, again more like a 7-Up or carbonated water. Probably not the best example, but now I have a benchmark to compare other Flanders's to.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Now this is some pretty high end stuff, considering what I threw down for a 4-pack of it. But I'd rather spend that money on Belgians than expensive and disappointing imported lagers from Mexico and S. America. Anyways, a best before date of 24-08-07 on the back label.

A very attractive ale, a rich chestnut until held to the light, where it becomes a brilliant oaken cherry red hue, albeit a touch chill hazed. The porous beige head eventually settles to a thin frothy cap, that then takes on more of a pinkish tone. Or salmon. That's a tough fish!

The aroma shoots immediately up the olefactory pipeline, and straight to the brain. Sour and tart, I detect the sour cherries, but it has a bit of a vinegar edge to it as well. Intense though, a very intense nose on this beer, it's not shy.

A very intense tartness in the flavour, almost more remeniscent of cranberries than of sour cherries. Something of a balsamic-like character as well. Earthy and woody. The more I sip it the more rounded it all becomes, and starts to grow on me.

The mouthfeel is limp, nothing holding it up, although this isn't a very beefy style to begin with.

Not without its charm, but I don't see myself craving many more of these. A curious style, and one that I can fathom would be best enjoyed while paired with something, rather than on its own.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Aroma is both sour balsamic and sweet and sour cherries. Body is a red-tinted brown and holds a diminishing thumb thick pinkt-tinted white head. For is syrupy sweet cherries and a dash of funky fruit mash and sourness. Far less sour than other Flemish Sours, but pretty damn funky tasting like MSG laden baby corn. Has a bit of a metallic twang int he finish that doesn’t belong, but not a bad beer really.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Best before 6/11/05. Looks like I'm a bit late on this one, but should be OK. Got if from the Stuffed Sandwich and Sam takes very good care of his beer. With proper care an additional year can only do good things to a beer like this.

A: Pours like stawberry juice...reddish brown. Slight haze. Absolutely gorgeous when held up to the light. Head is a distinct pinkish white which has fallen to a nice ring.

S: Smells of straw, oak, cherries, soy and alcohol. Very musty, dank.

T: Not as cherry as I would have guessed. Nice blend of sweet and tart. Dry, cherry skin flavor with loads of nutmeg. Fairly acidic. Lingering earthiness, menthol. Quite complex actually.

M: Tad thin but good carbonation.

D: The first sip I wasn't sure if I was going to finish this beer. Once my mouth got used to it, I found the beer quite enjoyable and complex.

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

I found this at Chef's Pantry wed. night beer tasting. Best by 13-10-06

Owner Vince - a beer lover and trained chef, served this Flanders Red with delicous cholates but it should pair well with almost any sweet desert.

Pours clear ruby with a pink head that reminds me of the fizz from a cherry 7-Up. The pink flamigo head is persistant and yeilds nice lace.

Aroma is dominated by cherry ( 5 oz of whole cherries per quart) Flavors offering a wine like woody finish to the exceptional authentic tart fresh cherry skin taste well supported by the West-Flemish red-brown ale.

Thanks for the sample - taking a bottle home was a no brainer.
A favorate from now on . .

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Poured out of a bottle purchased at Wine Gallery in Brookline into a St. Bernardus glass.

The beer pours a very pretty pinkish-red. The smell is a very nice candy-cherry, like some sort of hard candy. The taste is sweet, just like the smell. There is little hops to go along with sweet cherry. It is pretty thin, and goes down very easily for a beer that I would expect to sip.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

This was the last beer served on Sunday night as part of the Monk's Cafe Michael Jackson dinner and what a great way to end the night. This beer poured a nice bright, slighly deep red color with a pinkish head and good lacing. The nose is a nice warming sour cherry sensation. Very enjoyable to my nose. The taste is a very sour cherry delight with a bit of a bready taste in there. Overall I enjoyed this beer but at times it was a bit too sour for me.

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured this beer into a goblet form a bottle.

A- This beer pours a deep brownish-red color that has a rapidly disappearing pinkish-tan head that fades to an incomplete fairy ring. .

S- The nose is deep and musky with hints of cherry. Not as strong of a scent as I would have expected.

T- I don’t taste any sourness at all. It tastes of fermented black cherries, oak form the barrels/casks and a port like quality as well. It reminds me a bit of Gales Old Ale but lighter and with cherries.

M- Medium body with no fizz at all.

D- I’m not sure that I would classify this as a Flanders Red Ale. Doesn’t taste like any that I have tried. I’m really impressed with the products of the Verhaeghe brewery; however this is my least favorite so far. It’s still good but I’m much rather drink Duchesse De Bourgogne or Vichtenaar.

2.7/5  rDev -29.9%

I could see how people could like this, but too darn sweet for me.

Pours a deep red with red foamy head. Very tart with a sweet finish and a cherry everything. Highly carbonated which seemed to present a good head. Not much for th eoverwhelming fruitiness. My wife liked it though!

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

The beer pours a dark ruby red color with a towering pink head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a moderate malty scent that also boasts of sour cherries. It's mild, but still quite enticing. The taste is good. It has a nice pale and crystal malt flavor along with a wonderful sour cherry finish that is complimented with a slight oakey touch. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good drinking beer. It's full of flavor. I love the cherry brews. Their tart and quite enjoyable.

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

out of the bottle, pours a deep red pink with light pink, very rocky head. smells sour, tart, with a slight funk, and a touch of tart cherry. on the tongue, there is a quick tart cherry with dry finish. serious bite to the mouth. really good. sampled at 't Beertje in Bruges.

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bright bloody crimson when the afternoon sun is permitted to slant through the glass. Echte Kriekenbier is the reddest beer that I've ever seen. The cap is cherry blossom pink and is too soft and too unsticky to last or to lay down any lace. I love the brilliant, perfectly clear beer, but the head leaves quite a bit to be desired.

The nose can only be described as pungent. It's cherry fruity, salivary gland squeezingly sour and funky yeasty all at once. I like it, I just wish there was more cherry and less funk. But then this is a Flanders red, not some pretty pink fruit beer, so I guess the brewers know what the hell they're doing.

All beer of this style (at least the handful that I've had to date) end up at roughly the same level of likeability for me. That isn't to say they all taste alike, just that I kinda, sorta like them and respect them, but don't really love them. Something about the curious mix of flavors and flavor sensations. Maybe I just haven't had a really good one yet.

Sour cherry is noted on the palate. However, it's nearly overcome by an aged oaky, almost phenolic flavor that would be better if it was cut in half. A change like that would probably alter the beer so much that it would no longer be a member of the stated style. Well, I guess it's 'take it or leave it' time. I'm still on the fence. The label says that 150 gm/L of sour cherries were added. Would 300 gm/L have helped?

I'd like more substance in the mouthfeel department, but it does seem to fit the flavor profile pretty well. A full, sticky beer of this sort wouldn't work at all. The carbonation is fine-gauged and unobtrusive, even as it keeps things moving along without a hitch. All in all, the mouthfeel neither adds nor detracts from the overall experience.

Verhaeghe Echt Kriekenbier may be the quintessential Flanders red ale for all I know. If so, then I don't really love what this style embodies. I'll keep searching, though, in the hopes that I run across one that will rock my world to Flanders and back.

3.08/5  rDev -20%

Purchased from Spinnakers Spirit Merchants.

A: Ruby red, pink head, nice lace.

S: Sour cherries, a little bready malt.

T: Overwhelmingly tarte.

M: Light body, moderate to high carbonation, acidic and prickly.

D: Overly tarte. Really needs more sweetness.

I expected the cherries to make it a little drier, but they should have added some sweetness too! A kriek (or a flanders/flemish red ale) shouldn't be as tart as a lambic!

The Vichtenaar was an excellent brew. The cherries have really ruined it.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance: Red/brown, good carbonation, slightly off-white head.

Smell: Tasrt vinegar and cherries, malt, more tartness.

Taste. Sour and vibrant, but not as much as I would have liked. The addition of cherries brings a fruitiness that Vichtenaar lacked, the flavors play well together, making this reminscent of a kriek lambic. A nice sipper for a cool october evening.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated, dry overall.

Drinkability: I liked it, my girlfriend liked it, but there are beers out there that do better at what this beer attempts.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

A pretty good Cherry Belgian beer. Not as complex, rich, or rounded as some that I've sampled, but well brewed nevertheless. Good tart cherry aromas surrounded by solid hints of red wine, vinegar, and citrusy tartness. Looks ruby red, almost to the extent of carbonated cranberry juice. Very deep and clear, highly carbonated. Tastes as plesant as it smells. Tart but not sour. Enough malt character to sweeten the body. Tartness begins to edge toward vinegar and cider, but not enough to deter. Fruity cherry for an extra flavor profile, but not overly dominant. Finishes tart and dry--quite wine-like. After taste is a solid echo of cherries.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Seein' it: Rosy red is the color, mainly clear, with a proud, fizzy, pinkish head that collapses assuredly, but slowly...

Smellin' it: big time cherry, massive sour notes, very vibrant and arousing.

Tastin' it: Oooo, wince, pucker, grimace, shudder, ...ahhhh!!!
Very tasty, when you enjoy that sensation. Lip smackin', with a recurring fruity flavor. Brilliantly bitter. Medium bodied, long, fruity, sour finish. Thoroughly spanks the palate, slapping cherry-whips on the tongue.

Just delicious.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

(Served in a flute)
A- This beer pours a deep brownish red body that is crystal clear with a pinkish creamy head that fades pretty quickly. It has a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles.

S- A complex fruity nose of currants, black cherries and a hint of vanilla. The sourness is very light.

T- The sourness is mild and followed by some cherry, plum flavors and a hint of vanilla aswell. This beer has a slight red wine quality to the finish but much lower in alcohol so it is softer.
There is a faint almost band-aid not at the finish.

M- Medium body with no fizz or astringency.

D- This is a very soft light Flanders Red. The cherry notes are very mild and the sourness is very faint. It is well blended but not as complex with the malt and red wine characters as I would like to see.

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearence: Pours a deep red with a thin, bubble head. Tons of carbonation.

Smell: The smell is a pleasent cherry aroma mixed with a nice, oak cask feel to it.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is mostly of sweet cherries mixed with oak and nuts. The complexity of a normal Flanders Red is missing, and the carbonation is a bit much. Also, I'd like to see more sourness for this style. But still, it's an enjoyable taste. The mouthfeel is thin and slick.

Drinkability and Overall: Not a bad beer, but definitly room for improvement. For the style, this one falls way short of some of the others. Would I have another? Probably. Would I prefer it? Probably not.

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Deep, cherry red with a fizzy, soda-like white head that quickly dissipates into a thin layer of slightly-pink tinged white foam.

Aroma is sour and filled with cherries, with a touch of vinegar. Taste is cherries and tartness, with a dry finish and light body. It hints at lambic qualities, but doesn't quite get there.

If I weren't such a sucker for the style, I'm not sure how much I'd like this--but since I am, it's a good enough quaff.

Fairly average, I'd say.

2.68/5  rDev -30.4%

Room temperature Musty and leather smell. Very cherry, light head. Opaque red. Sugar and vinegar acidic, not finishable, doesn't work altogether, the taste the fizzy carbonation. Too dry too thin, maybe with some spicy meat. This is a fruit beer, right? Modiale 2005.

Verhaeghe Echte Kriek / Echte Kriekenbier from Brouwerij Verhaeghe