Verhaeghe Echte Kriek / Echte Kriekenbier - Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Verhaeghe Echte Kriek / Echte KriekenbierVerhaeghe Echte Kriek / Echte Kriekenbier

Brouwerij Verhaeghe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 11-18-2002)
3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

A copper-glinting ruby with a fast-fleeting crimson white head.
Fragrant of cherries, of course, structured with oak and iron.
Begins with a medicinally sweet cherry burst. It brings notions of nutmeg and generalized warmth. A subtle tartness grows, as the cherry hues shift blacker and stonier. Some oaky tannins on the tail, with an oxidized copper closure.
Starts manic and fizzy in the mouth, then fades to a modestly charged watered syrup.
Ok, I guess. It's got some issues, but its passable, probably moreso than the Dutchess.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a pretty translucent red color with no head. Smell is hard to discern... there are definitely fruits apparent, but for the most part is smells like sweet alcohol. The taste is surprising. The first gets you right in the sweet zone in the back of the mouth with SWEET cherries. As it goes down it tastes more like cherries and wheat with a huge amount of sweet. As far as kriek beers go it is a great representation, but save this one for the person who has a large sweet tooth!

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

different label. best by date not legible. My label has two lions and two cherries on it.

Very nice looking beer. Very persistant head. Deep but bright reddish pink color. Very persistant carbonation. Medium to high carbonation.

Decent nose. I think I get a bit of Brett in there, but I'm not sure. Definately get some sweet-sour going on. And definately a clear hint of cherry.

Better than their standard Flemish Red, but still not quite right. Not nearly as nasty as their sweet and sour chinese soup Flemish Red, this beer still isn't quite right on. There is definately some Brett in the flavor, I swear to god. This is different than their standard Red. The sharp sour cherry notes are nice relief to the sweet-n-sour soup notes. Quite pleasantly fruity. Quite nice. Little rough in the finish, but not too bad.

Mouthfeel is decent, but maybe just a little too thick. It actually gums up my mouth just a bit.

Pretty drinkable. I could have another one of these.

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Sampled at the Southside Beer Expo, Frankfort, Illinois. Cherry red body, with a thick parfait head. Swirl it around in the glass like it's a melting cherry soda float! A refreshing cherry taste that isn’t cloying in sweetness.Kind of missed the sourness one would expect in a Flanders, but to each its own.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

03-19-05- On tap at the Toronado in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- from the tap into a tulip style glass.

Appearance- Nice dark scarlet, almost cherry cough sryup colored.
Nothing in the head department and very very light lacing.

Smell- Not a huge scent, but definite cherries and a sugary sweet scent.

Taste- Wasn't sure if this was a red flanders style or a kriek lambic. It really didn't fit into either category. It didn't have that sour quality that red flanders have (ie Duchesse, NBB Love or La Foile), and it certainly didn't have the super sour taste of a true lambic. Maybe more like a sweet lambic, ie Lindemans. Hmmm, stumped by this one. It did have plenty of cherry taste to it though. And maybe just the slight amount of sourness to it and the slight amount of sweetness. This is a true enigma of a beer.

Mouthfeel- Mouth coating and full of flavor with none if any carbonation.

Drinkability- Whatever style it is, it's a prefectly decent drinkable brew.

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

Presentation: The label is very different than shown on the accompanying photo: first off, it's now "Echt Kriekenbier" rather than "Eckte", the black label shows two large cherries on their stems above two golden lions holding a crown-covered shield (very European, not sure of the significance of this particular heraldry). The shield is like the one on the upper label in the picture shown. The very American back label has alll the legal mumbo jumbo and a best-before with some printing that is completely illegible (like the computer dot-matrix printer got confused, or kind of like my typing of beer reviews before I check them for typos a few days later....). My guess is that it says 06/11/05, or best by November 6, 2005.

Pours a very red, thin port-colored, translucent, with a moderate, slightly pink (mostly white) head that drops to a thin cover in 2 minutes, leaving no lace.

Aroma is cherry. Not unpleasant, not overpowering, not strong. Not natural either. Somewhat artifical. But there is the slight sour notes between the sweet that make me happy.

Flavor. What is this? Sour cherry cough drop-like notes, not beer-like at all. More like cherry soda, and artifical in flavor. Just not right. After the aroma, I really wanted to like this, but just can't.

Mouthfeel is thin, according to my girlfriend- I can't disagree, but I don't think it's watery like some. Just ok. Drinkability- I just don't get it.

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

The full and creamy pink head atop this beauty's clear ruby body is an indication of the light and fruity flavor to be found within. In the nose, tart cherry combines with lambic-like characteristics (Lactobacilus, Brettanomyces). It's gently effervescent on the tongue, and becomes airy as it crosses the palate. The flavor expresses clear sour-cherry and lactic character over a sweetish malt. The bitterness is sublime, as it should be, and it finishes with a whisp of sweetness that fades into tartness and some dry chalkiness. Quite nice!

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

2nd ba in a row to thank Cornboy for this bonus goodie..

looked tasty, looked like the duchesse. red with pink foam. beautiful, of course, but this is an unfair advantage with the cherry beers and reds.

aroma contained cherries, of course, wood, some brandy and some malt. not too far off the standard profile for this type.

this beer was pleasanty tart, but not in the cantillon way. light and not too carbonated. the cherry flavor in this beer seems more suited to soda, making it less of a serious brew and more of (as the bottle says), a 'refreshing' beverage.

my girlfriend loved it.. of course.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to cornboy for this one of many offerings.
I had no idea what to expect when pouring this baby...wow, looks
like what you'd get if you mixed black cherry and grape soda.
A half an inch of pinkish-white head that had little bubbles dancing on top of the foam and then just popped...was that a hallucination?
Can't be...this is my first beer.
Smell is of what else....cherries...almost wine-like.
The taste is not as sweet as I was expecting...that's a good thing.
Very refreshing w/ tons of carbonation...the aftertaste is a real treat...just wraps around the tongue and lingers for a bit.
I don't believe I could drink more that 2 of these...not due to the alcohol or anything negative. It's just not one I would normally choose to drink beyond a pint or two. I am real glad this was a surprise send by cornboy...I would have never picked this one up.

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

I grabbed a bottle of this brew at Steelgaarden below Bethlehem Brew Works. The beer is served in a 8 oz bottle in a goblet. Pours a clear red grape color with a small frothy pink head, that fades to a minor surface layer. Aroma is musty and sour cherry very tart overall. Quite enticing! First sip is tart and sour rather puckering on my lips. Small prickly carbonation is carried in an average body. The flavor is slightly sweet and fruity in the middle and finishes dry and wooden. The finish leaves a tingle on my gums. A very nice beer that I would recommend to any one that enjoys tart sour brews!

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Very clear deep ruby body topped off with a pink head. The aroma is sour, wood and cherries. The flavor has a large oak aspect. The cherry is there, but something in this one is very medicinal. It’s not bad and actually fairly refreshing, but that medicinal quality to the aroma and flavor is annoying. A sweet beer, but sweet like juice (especially with the fairly light body) instead of rich or cloying sweet.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: In a wine glass, this beer is a transparent red color, not quite pink. Copious amounts of carbonation; no head and no lacing. Looks like pink champagne, not beer.

Smell: Strongly tart cherries, sharp sour notes.

Taste: Much like the smell, this beer assualts the mouth first hiting with sharp tart cherry flavors. This slowly wears on the palette until some light oak notes play through the finish. That's really about it. Sharply acidic and tart cherries, and some wood. For a Belgian, I'm unimpressed. The 6.8% ABV is well concealed; though this has more carbonation than a malternative.

Mouthfeel: Champagne. Thin, slight alcoholic cloy and lots of carbonation which keeps it light.

Drinkability: Not for me. Decent fruitiness but not complex. It's not a sugar-syrup so that wins a few points, but I'm amazed this site calls it a Flanders, as it is more a tart Lindemans' lamb-fake.

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%

Newer label than pictured, with a "best before 31-10-05" printed on the label. Label says this is a west flemish red brown ale matured in oak casks with added whole cherries.
Pours a clear, ruby body with a soft, pinkish head that quickly falls into a persistent collar and sheets of lace.
Aroma is tart, with oak wood and sweet cherries.
Mouthfeel has a light medium body, with lots of effervescent carbonation. The cherry sweetness negates the acidic and tannic character of the underlying, Flanders Red.
Taste is a fascinating hybrid of a Flanders Red and a sweet, Lambic kriek. Yeast is virtually nonexistent in the taste, except to add a mild earthiness. The sweet natural cherry flavors round out the harsh edges of an acidic and mouthpuckering Flanders red, but this ale is an exceptionally tasty one. Wood notes are present, and the cherries are never overly sweet. I can understand how some may find the cherry sweetness overwhelming for a Flanders red, but I find it to be extremely well executed, and exceptionally tasty.
If you like cherries in your bier, seek this one out and give it a try! I plan to stock a few of these in my cellar. $2.99 a bottle at the Vintage Cellar, and this is one of my favorite alltime fruit biers.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Served into a snifter at Fatheads. The color was ruby red, with a ring of white head. The smell was a rich cherry with just a bit of tartness. The taste was definitely dominated by the cherry flavor, but unfortunately rather than complimenting the natural sourness of the Flemish Red, it tended to dominate it a bit. Mouthfeel was average. As for drinkability, could session a bit on this one, depending on the wallet.

Thanks to Glenn, owner of Fatheads, for a sample of this one before we bought it, and for carrying it on tap when I've never even seen a bottle before! Definitely enjoyable...my only regret is that the cherry could have added to the sour experience of the beer, but rather ended up blocking it. Still, I'd have one again, even if I just realized I was drinking a reddish-looking beer from a snifter in a bar!

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Presentation: Well bless my little cotton socks if I didn’t come across an old favorite from yesteryear this weekend. Having visited the Brouwerij Verhaege in 1995 for a Brewery Tour, whence I sampled this for the first time [as with most of their regular range] I am quite familiar with the products of this rather eclectic brewery and looked forward to a return visit.

Time has changed the old label completely, as in fact it has the name too. My sample has a similar label to that shown in the BA Database except that my bottle is called Kriekenbier; usually this is a more appropriate way to promote a Cherry laced brew that is not really a traditional lambic, so the longer named is used appropriately here as this is a blended Kriek with a West Flanders Red/Brown Ale, so the blurb says anyway. Best Before 06/11/05 writ big on the back label.

Appearance: Deep cherry red body with a flamingo pink soft and cuddly feathered head which soon breaks down to a thin sheer pink panty covering. High levels of dissolved pin sized carbonation assist the reformation of the head once swirled.

Nose: Deep whiffs of sour tart cherries, bitter skins and a dry fruity feel. Tinned Fruit like odors.

Taste: Starts with a nice bitter cherry feel which slowly fades, I struggled to get the Flanders Brown Ale here I’m afraid. I concentrated hard but the cherries tend to be dominant, mixed in with the foamy effervescent feel that the high carbonation imparts, the cherries run riot. Only towards the end of the bottle did I start to get anything but the merest hint of Brown Ale, the sourness is purely from the Cherries, little if anything in the way of the fantastic sharp biting funky wood laden Brown that I stood waiting for and expected – but like the #9 bus, it never arrived. Mildy tart with a very feint hint of Brett, so incredibly feint to have me think that I could be imagining it, hoping that it was there.

Mouthfeel: A tad watery and thin, it’s missing the balls it had when I first drank it, maybe there is less Flanders Brown in this version, or just way more cherries, though considering the strength is higher than my old notes suggest I find this quiet strange.

Drinkability: Pretty average. The thin body really struggles to handle the sourness in my opinion, this is my biggest "beef" here, this is simply way too thin, I remember this having much more of a Brune character which bodes well and assists the sour cherry flavors as they work well together, but this is lacking that synergy. I suspect that this is a little dumbed down from past years, it needs more “Brune” to carry this on off, without that Flanders Brown character it is just a sour Cherryade Soda for me.

Overall: OK, first sampled in 1995, a great astringently dry and puckering cherry laden Flanders Brown, yet I have it listed at just 6% then for some reason. This “version” is 6.8%, or labeled as such anyway, and yet it is not quite as sour as I remember and with a much heavier cherry character. It also has a more metallic feel to it, overall rather disappointing; it looses much of its Brune character and swamps it in a heavy sour and fizzy cherry base.

Nevertheless, something different, I was expecting more Flanders RoodBruine and a little less on the Cherryade Soda tastes. Still, I may keep some of this in my fridge…..just for when the hot Girlies come round mindst you…..

Boy do I miss the master of this style Zottegems Oud Kriekenbier - Echt Kriekenbier has the chance to replace this, but fails miserably to do so. I guess I shall have to keep waiting until the day that Brouwerij Bavik decide to add some Cherries to their excellent Petrus Aged Pale Ale….one day we shall have a replacement for the Zottegems…I keep hoping…..

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Label was a little different than what is pictured. Best by date of 6/7/05.

A pretty cheap pick up at Kahn's in Indy. Pours a ruby red with a whispy-pink head which did not retain as well as i would've hoped. Smell has strong notes of vinegar with hints of cherry and barnyard funk. First taste assuaged my initial fears that this beer had turned. Very strong flavor of cherries. Some tartness comes through at the end, but it's not intensely sour. A little bit of wood (?) can be tasted as well. A little bit thin in the mouthfeel deparment, but definetely an interesting brew. Worth a try.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Very red with a pink head. This beer looks like it might be a sweet lambic but it is instead deep dark cherry with a sour smell. Very dry sour cherries with almost no sweetness make this a beer that you love or hate. I really like it as it challenged my palate and tasted like some brewer cared about making an uncompromising beer that is remembered long after.

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

This beer has a different label then the one in the picture but it seems to be the same beer from what I read. As I was pouring a giant pink fizzy head erupted from the glass with audible fizziness atop a dark cherry colored clear body. After the head fizzled down quickly to a coating of bubbles there was no lace left about the glass. The aroma was of slightly sweet cherries and also quite a bit of tartness. Very sweet cherry flavor here similar to cherry syrup. The finish is tart and tangy with more cherry flavor. Mouthfeel here is a bit thin and the over carbonation doesn’t help either. I can see being in the mood for one of these but not drinking one after another. Interesting enough to make me want to seek out more of the style, thanks cornboy for this surprise brew.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Blood red in color, with a thin, fizzy white head. The aroma is of tart cherries, quite acidic. After this, the flavor is surprisingly sugary sweet, at least at the start. The cherry flavor is quite present, yet things never get *too* sweet. A nice hint of sour at the finish keeps things a bit balanced. There's even a bit of malt asserting itself once the beer warms a bit, giving the whole sip a bit of added depth. Overall, this is quite a nice beer.

4.08/5  rDev +6%

On tap at Cooper’s Seafood House in Scranton….looking for something to awaken my mouth after oysters Rockefeller. Presented in a goblet, the beer is deep red with a thin pink foam atop. The smell is characteristically sour, with a hint of cherry. The fruit is secondary to the vinous, alcohol laced, yeasty sourness. Taste is tart and tangy, with plenty of cherry flavor. It’s a refreshing, tangy, almost wild beer. It’s amazingly refreshing.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

A nice reddish colour with a white head that dies quickly. This smells of sweet cherries, slight lambic funk, lactic funk, sweet malts, and slightly grassy subtle hops. The taste is a bit funky and very cherryish with a nice creaminess in there as well. The mouthfeel is a bit thin and very, very dry. The drinkability is good. This is a very interesting kriek/flanders red hybrid, that I could see trying again...

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

Note - My bottle is a little different than the one pictured. It says Echt Kriekenbier and it is the 6.8% ABV beer.

The beer poured crystal clear deep ruby. The head was pink...yep, pink and the pink stuff lasted to lace the glass. Ok, perhaps it was ruby, but a ruby head is still a little unsettling.

The aroma was sour with fruity barnyard aromas.

The flavor was cherry and fruits that immediately became dry and sour. The sourness was not overpowering, but it was very one dimensional and not interesting. With the beer drying out so fast it was difficult to find much to say.

The finish was dry and had a slight cherry flavor that was not well done that lasted much longer than you wanted it to. The body was medium light and watery.

I say skip it. Regular Vichtenaar is a much better beer.

11.2 ounce bottle. Best before 31-10-05. Purchased at Kroger in Blacksburg, VA.

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

nkish red hue surmounted by a pink off-white head. Nice nose with that oak cask wood thing going on that seduces me like always. Woody with weird almost smoky notes. Leafy balsamic vinegar notes and of course an honest mostly sweet cherry base. Palate is balsamic, very refreshing, oaky vanilla, but acidity level remains low enough to be accessible. Excellent!

4.35/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ever had something rearrange what you think? Well, this kriek-sort-of-lambic does. Its a purplish deep red ale struggling to have a head on it. Reminds me of pomegranate juice, a little bit thicker but just as placid.

Smells of a basic Flemish ale body with a fruitier soul. Cherries are round and balancing, and typically take away any iron or vinegary tones. Simple ane nice enough.

This beer tastes like fresh squeezed juices: black currants, blackberries, black cherries, but with plenty of maraschino shine. The tartness is really well controlled and the metallic Flemish twang is taken away by the cherry addition.

I thought Goudenband was a good Flemish red ale, but this is much better, maybe because its not really a Flemish red ale. Does the addition of cherries make it no longer a true blue Flanderish brew? Whatever, it tastes damn good. Like a dollop of palette cleansing sorbet after a spectacular meal.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

A deep red color. The aroma is sour, with note of vinegar, and it definitely has good cherry notes to it. The taste is refreshing and dry with a sour cherry character. This would be a great beer to drink on a hot day. Fruity, but not at all cloying with a nice balancing tartness.

Verhaeghe Echte Kriek / Echte Kriekenbier from Brouwerij Verhaeghe