Ironman Imperial Stout - Free State Brewing Co.

Ironman Imperial StoutIronman Imperial Stout

good

Free State Brewing Co. visit their website
Kansas, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: marc77 on 10-18-2003

Our Imperial Stout brewed to an Original gravity of 19.5 °P using 10 different types of malt, which combined, weigh 1,465 lbs. That works out to 3.4 lbs per gallon of finished beer or almost 4/10ths of a pound in every glass. The dark malts give a roasty flavor and dark color, caramel malts add sweetness and a full body. Three different hop varieties also add their own complexity (and about 78 IBUs). The bittering hop is Magnum. The early aromatic hops are Northern Brewer. The later aromatic Centennial. The final hop addition is a dry hop with a generous dose of Mt. Hood hops for a fine aroma The Ironman is named for one of our favorite regular customers, Walt Hull, who is a local blacksmith.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 99 | Reviews: 35

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Had the firkin tap variety. Pretty solid.

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

Sampling right now on 6/12/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a "Free State Beer' pilsner glass which I actually bought at their brewery/restaurant just 2 weekends back. Just something about drinking a brew from a brewery from one of their glasses. :)

Pours a pitch black in color with a good 3-finger foamy beige head that leaves a TON of lacing with each sip! Surprised for the amount of lacing actually! The aroma is of roasted malts, coffee with a hint of dark fruit like raisins. The taste has even more going on with the aroma as it has a ton of flavors which besides mentioned above with some semi-sweet chocolate with a slight bitter finish that doesn't last at all. Overall, a great Imperial Stout with perfect carbonation.

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle received in trade from RobertDale, thanks for the opportunity!
Pours a solid black with a decent sized creamy tan head that displays moderate retention, and minimal lace. Aromas of earthy spicy minty hops atop a base of coffee, chocolate and caramel with a touch of ethanol to round things out. The taste is solid roasted coffee, caramel, and chocolate with a huge earthy minty herbal hop flavor. Moderate hop bitterness. Medium to thick body with a light to moderate level of carbonation, and a sweet somewhat sticky and oily mouthfeel. This is an interesting imperial stout for sure. The late hop choices are certainly unconventional, but I kind of enjoyed this beer. The body might be a tad thin for an imperial but it doesn't distract me too much.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

2.89/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Bottle at Old chicago old town Wichita.

A - It pours black, minimal head that dissipates quickly.

S - Dark fruit dominates, maybe due to the hops, but results in a muted raisin aroma.

T - Dark malts, raisin, some roastiness, NO coffee, hides ABV (but still at only 6.1).

MF - Thin, medium bodied, slightly sweet finish.

O - Can't call this an "imperial" at only 6.1 ABV! Is it the malts or the hops? Disappointing. Unbalanced.

3.89/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I received this as an extra. The best by date is notched between September and October. This is my first review. My first craft beer I enjoyed was a malt heavy beer so I figured after years of reading reviews, I will review a style I love a lot: Imperial Stout.

A: Pours a very clean looking stout. Light tan head. Very dark body.

S: I keep smelling molasses cookies out of this beer. I love when a stout smells like this.

T: I like an imperial stout to be big a bold. This isn't watered down. I am getting tons of malt. As I start to finish the beer in roughly 10 minutes, I notice some oxidation possibly from the hops as it warms up. I could have an older bottle as stated and it is showing now. It is not distracting though.

M: I would call this a session Imperial stout. it has a body of a bigger/imperial stout. It coats my mouth like one. It is easily drinkable though.

O: I like this. It has a been a while where I drank an imperial stout relatively quick. It is a well balanced imperial stout. Nothing pops out though. It had a nice aroma and went down smooth.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ironman Imperial Stout from Free State Brewing Co.