Köstritzer Schwarzbier - Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei GmbH & Co.

Köstritzer SchwarzbierKöstritzer Schwarzbier

Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei GmbH & Co. visit their website
Germany

Schwarzbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 10-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Köstritzer Schwarzbier Alström Bros
Reviews: 780 | Hads: 1,660
2.98/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

darkest brown, nearly fully black. Thick mocha coloured head of two fingers, fades back to a thin covering in a minute.

light on the nose. lots of dry grains, black liquorice, the sticky kind your eastern european grandfather would give to you as a kid, thinking it was a treat a 5 year old would love... dark rye bread. surprisingly, for me, no hint of burnt caramels or coffee, this could be a different kind of dark beer than Im used to.

some salty sweet notes on the front, like salted toffee or salt and dried prune or fig. rye toast and roasty grains come in the middle. burnt crust and a bit resiny. to be honest, not a whole lot of depth of flavours going one.

light body and smooth on the tongue with sharp carbonation. a bit thick which is nice.

Overall not a whole lot here im afraid. some burnt grains and malts but no real complexity or depth to any of the flavours. As a lager its easy drinking and ready for multiples, but that in itself isnt enough to make me go for it again. (998 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I tried this beer on a friend's recommendation. All I can say is wow. This brew takes you by surprise. You would think that the dark colour would translate to a heavy taste but the exact opposite is true. It is both light and refreshing, with a slight coffee aftertaste. One of my favorites (295 characters)

3.87/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Deep brown color where light shines through along the edge. Modest head, but it leaves a wonderfull web of lace.

Smells lightly dark, like watered down coffee. In the background are some neutral malted grains.

Lighter than one might expect for a beer so dark. It isn't watery as I expected. It also is very mild in the smoke department. The hop is actually dominant along with some deeply toasted malt. The body is "eh". It really is quite neutral all around. (468 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

So I'm new to beer, But I'm stationed in Germany what better place to learn and love it. This beer is one of my first German beers and I love it. It came off smoother to me awesome flavor, not too bitter but still tell it was there. Definitely one to keep around the house. (273 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look - I will be the first to say this is not an impressive looking beer. Pours a slightly transparent black with a small tan head that disappears quickly without leaving a spot of lacing.

Smell - Dark breads and sweet candy with a touch of dark fruitiness.

Taste - Follows the nose. Dark fruits and plum with a high dosage of dark breadiness and a sweet, almost tart cherry finish upon swallow.

Feel - Sits full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation and coats the mouth with a lingering sweetness aspect.

Overall - This is the epitome of a style I have never particularly cared for in the past. But as my palate has developed over the years, I have started appreciating things for what they are stylistically instead of comparing everything to world-class IPA's. This beer would be great in the colder months of the year, From October through February around a nice toasty fire with a well-done steak. (913 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

I have a sentimental fondness for this beer. I had it for the first time in Germany on tour with my band and i was hooked. Tons of people i know dont care for it. But i feel like it was made for me. I am part German and maybe, just maybe, this brew just fits my chemical makeup better. I can drink it all night and never get gas, acid reflux, or have a hangover.

The beer looks awesome. Black as night. You think your going to taste something super heavy and thick, but its just not. Its toasty light and flavorful. It might not be everyones cup of tea but i love it.

Its better on tap or out of the can in my opinion. The bottle doesnt seem to store that great especially imported to the US. My buddies in germany send me cans once in a while. They can only send 2 at a time but every time they do it brings me back to a time when there weren't a lot of great beers in my repertoire. (888 characters)

3.87/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

0.3l pour on tap at Hoppegarten in Berlin-Steglitz. Served in Kostritzer stemmed glass.

Appearance: Gorgeous dark brown, but clear, beer with a rocky tan head that died back to a thick ring at the edge and lots of lacing. Some cola brown and a hint of ruby red color when the light shined through.

Smell: Not a lot of aroma - very clean with a bit of floral hops.

Taste: Nice malt note, not overly roasted or toasted, but a nice not overly sweet malt taste backed by a light amount of hops. Well balanced comes to mind. Mild bitterness at the finish which was a bit herbal.

Mouthfeel: Just right carbonation, light, but not watery.

Overall / Drinkability: I had two glasses of this beer over the course of a meal and it was a perfect complement and very very drinkable. Fully flavored, but not overpowering or something I tired of. I can't say the flavor of this beer was extremely remarkable, but the thought that keeps coming to mind as I rate it is "Hey, that was tasty. I'll have to try it again." (1,028 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I had this beer out of a 500ml can at Yia Yia's in Lincoln NE. When poured into a pint glass it produced a diffuse khaki colored head that dissipated quickly. The beer's aroma was pleasant and inviting, it had a mild, malty aire that I expect out of a beer. The flavor is mild with a subtle roasted malt character and not the least bitter. A delicious dark lager, I look forward to finding this one on tap someday. (414 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very good beer and surprisingly cheap for an imported beer at Dan Murphys (Australia). I had to buy a second six-pack to make sure It wasn't a mistake. I first drank this on tap at the German Club South Brisbane in proper glass and loved it. (241 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

This is a 4.8% ABV Schwarzbier from Germany. Like most beers of this style, the focus is on providing a roasted malt character that is not typically present in a lager, and this beer has it. It manifests as moderately-roasted chocolate, brown sugar and molasses flavor notes that create a more complex dark character than a lot of other beers of this style. The roasted notes combine with a slight hoppiness to define the flavor of the beer, which overall is moderate in strength, as befits a lager. Compared the average Schwarzbier, this flavor lingers for quite awhile, and the body is fuller than might be expected. (618 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

This is simply a black lager. It isnt heavy, viscosity is light, slight see through, no head. Light, tan lacing. Slight smokey malt aroma. Little bitterness in the mouthfeel with a taste of slight burnt roasted malts. Smokey, light bitterness at the finish. I didnt' find this beer outstanding at all. (307 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours brilliant deep dark brown to black under a 1” cream to light tan foam cap that hugs the glass. Dark malts with traces of anise and dark roast on the nose and palate. The hops back the roast to give a moderately bitter finish. Clean and smooth with a medium body and slightly below medium carbonation. Very easy to drink and refreshing. (343 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -62.3%

Presented decently in the glass, but definitely not for me. Managed only about one-half of the pour. Very bitter and astringent, without any counterbalance to it: Harsh. (173 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Got this based off the rec. of my local "beer guy". $2.75 for a 16 fl oz can in NYC. Very light, full taste, easy to drink.

I'm getting another one... tomorrow. (161 characters)

This is my first sample of the style so I'll reserve giving it higher than a 4 until I try some other examples, but if all of them are this good, I will really like the style. The generic style description claims that the bitterness in Schwarzbier comes from hops, but in all honesty I'm not a huge hops fan and I don't taste a whole lot of hops in this. The bitterness is definitely a malt bitterness, but it's not in the least bit heavy or filling. (452 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is probably one of my most favorite dark, non-stout beers. It's quite light but has a nice dark taste to it. Especially for its cheap price for a 16oz 4-pack, there's not much else comparable. (199 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

I love black beer, especially real German style black bier or Schwarzbier. I was surprised at how light this really was. Not heavy like I was expecting. Don't get me wrong it still has that awesome black beer taste. But it goes down very smooth. Definitely a must if u can find it. (281 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Nice, well-balanced black lager. Not heady, or sugary, or syrupy, or black strappy, or high octane. Little bit sweet. Little bit of caramel. Effervescent. I like it. Very companionable beer. (195 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Kostritzer Schwarzbier, black lager. 4.8% ABV.

A: Black is right, except that it has a a deep plum red glow when held up to the light. About a quarter of a finger of brownish head. Very slight sheeting. Lacing starts good, but slides down after a second, leaving only traces behind.

S: Has a dark bread smell. Pumpernickel? I don't think I've ever had it, but that's what the smell brings to mind. Faint sweet anise and char notes.

T/MF: Slightly crisp on the palate. More pumpernickel, with a touch of graphite.

Not a bad beer, but not a style I'm in a hurry to return to. I liked the Lev Black Lion a good deal more.

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle, into a Belgian tulip glass. (682 characters)

First off, it's a European LAGER, not an ale, so it's more mellow and easy to drink. At the same time, it packs a whole lot of flavor. You can drink this one all day, all the time. (180 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Haw River Farmhouse Ales teku glass. Back label says Best Before 07.08.2015.

A- Pours a mostly opaque black color with a 1/4 inch tan head that retains a bit before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a small bubbly side patch of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a thin ring behind.

S- Rich dark roasted malt with a bit of dark chocolate and vanilla sweetness.

T- Nutty, moderately roasty and slightly sweet. Clean lager finish.

M- Kind of thin but is standard for the style. Medium carbonation and a body that leans toward the fuller side.

O- Nice aroma on this, but the rest of the beer is pretty middle-of-the-road. Glad I got to try an authentic version of the style though. (733 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Head is a touch more fleeting than expected.

Aroma is nutty and toffee-like, with a touch of diacetyl and light roast malt. Metallic notes surface late.

Flavor is roasty and lightly chocolatey, with an underlying nutty, slightly sweet, toasted malt character throughout. The finish is slightly acrid and dry. (310 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +3.9%

A: crystal clear; deep brown - lighter at the edges, but no ruby - just a lighter brown; 1 finger light brown head that receded quickly to a thin collar;

S: molasses with deeply roasted grain; slightly sweet;

T: follows the nose up front; by mid-palate, it's like bittersweet chocolate; that stays through the finish, which is slightly bitter;

M: thin; light to moderate carbonation; if you give it a minute, the finish dries out nicely;

O: I was hoping for a little hop presence; the best by date is 7/15, so it can't be too old; other than that, I thought it was true to the style; (587 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

very approachable and drinkable Schwarzbier. Malts and molasses, some coffee, but finishes clean with little lingering flavors. With low abv, can see myself drinking quite a few of these. (187 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

500ml can.
L: very dark cola, slightly transparent, fizzy tan head quickly gone.
S: toasty bready malts mixed with dark berries. Very nice.
T: similar to the smell.
F: mouthfeel is the attraction here. It's has the aroma of a stronger beer, then hits with some carbonation and a lighter body. So easy to drink but remaining full of flavour.
O: many schwarzbiers have a promising nose yet come off watery. This one delivers. (428 characters)

Köstritzer Schwarzbier from Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei GmbH & Co.