Köstritzer Schwarzbier - Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei GmbH & Co.

Köstritzer SchwarzbierKöstritzer Schwarzbier

Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei GmbH & Co. visit their website
Germany

Schwarzbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 10-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Köstritzer Schwarzbier Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

I poured this beer from a 500ml brown bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A= This beer poured a deep dark black with caramel highlights around the edges. The head was 2" of pillowy light tan goodness, eventually dropping to a 1/8" skim.

S= Very muted, clean aromas of sweet maltiness and roasted grains. Call me crazy, but this beer smelled like an English pale ale or ESB.

T= For a lager this beer had a very grainy flavor coupled with malty sweetness. Hop bitterness was barely there, but enough to balance the malts.

MF= Low/mediuim carbonation, clean mouthfeel.

D= This beer is low on flavor, but clean, refreshing, and dead on for the style.

4.3/5  rDev +10%

A- Pours black with a tan one finger head. When held up to the light, one can see a ruby color seeping through at the edges. Head fizzles out fairly quickly and leaves no lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Quite different from other Schwarzbiers that I've tried. Smells more like the Spaten premium lager I drank yesterday, but with a little more of a roasted character. Vegetables and roasted malts stand out.

T- Also quite different from anything else I've had in the style, at least at first. While it's still cold, the overwhelming taste is of some sort of vegetable soup. As it warms, more of the traditional Schwarzbier roastiness starts to pull through. Ah yes, this one keeps getting better as it goes on and so does my rating. Very well-balanced and an excellent representation of the style. So from now on, I'll remember to drink this a little warmer than I would most other lagers.

M- Very smooth like a Schwarzbier should be. I love this style because it's pretty light, but still packs so much flavor.

D- This is getting added to my list of all-night session beers. Easy to drink, not too filling. My only regret is that I don't have a Bratwurst, some Sauerkraut and some Spätzle to go with this. That would be prefect.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Yep, it's totally schwarz. Can't see a thing through this lager, and the inch-thick head is super-creamy. Sticks around a long while too.

Has the mineral and boiled corn elements I often smell in lagers, but this was clearly not made with corn, and I don't mean to insult the brewer. There's a sweetness here that's hard to pin down, not really chocolate, not really milky...maybe more toffee-like than anything. A roasted element appears, but not in the way of a porter or stout or rauchbier...it's super clean.

There's plenty of roasty toasty flavor, although these are offset with the musty flavor of boiled veggies, and also a slight bit of milky sweetness, buttered toast flavor, and a dollop of chocolate and toffee. And then the juicy dark fruits come in and dominate, especially fig and plum. Gets a bit nutty in the finish. Very clean/dry finish.

Texture is soft and smooth despite generous carbonation. Thin, and a bit crackly if whirled around in the mouth...I prefer to just let it hang there, getting more butter out of it and less sizzle.

The label reads "the black beer with the blonde soul" and that about sums it up. Not my first pick for German beer style, but this one delivers well. After having had a couple in the past few days, I recommend drinking it on the warmer side--even if it is a lager--the beer's subtleties emerge nicely that way.

4.16/5  rDev +6.4%

My first schwarzbier, so I'm a little unsure of what to expect. Very dark brown body, with a huge creamy textured tan head that laces very well. In fact the appearance is sublime, and coupled with the taste would easily puncture the myth that dark beers = heavy beers. Chocolate and caramel malts in the lightly sweet aroma. Strong caramel and cocoa notes in the flavour, which is refreshingly light, and has a pleasing bitterness at the edges. The body is on the light side, and carbonation is medium. This would make a good session beer, as no one flavour overwhelms, and the lightness of the body sits well. I could definitely have a few more of these!

3.56/5  rDev -9%

pours a dark brown with a ruby tint, medium size tan head, and good lacing.

smell is of some milk chocolate, roasted malt, and a little smoke.

taste is of grain, sour malt, toastiness, bakers chocolate, slight bitterness, and a slightly dry ending.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Served out of a tall can which reads "Germany's #1 Black lager beer" and "seit (since) 1543". I'm skeptical: how many beers claim to be #1 or the oldest? Don't be intimidated by the jet-black appearance because this is very drinkable. Pours with a half inch of head which mostly dissipates. Smells a hint of spices and something sweet. Tastes great: hints of caramel, coffee, malty, with a bite in the aftertaste. Tastes dry the more you sip. Good lacing. Perfect level of carbonation. This is very refreshing. Great for a hot day. I would consider this a "session beer". I'm glad I picked up a case. You can knock these back like an American lager but they taste so much better.

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%

The color is dense black. Small ring of head holds on to the side of the glass for sometime.
The nose has dark almost burnt coffe aroma. The taste has a cola and coffee twang with some dark fruit like plums and elderberry. The mouthfeel is sort of dry for such a malty brew? I like this beer don't get me wrong. The low abv. makes this real drinkable brew.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

Wow, this might be my first of this style but what a way to start! Pours jet black at first but when held to light it shows deep ruby color. Thick, rocky head with good retention and very little lacing. Smell is great of toasted grain. A real smokey/burnt sensation to it. A bit of dark chocolate and some grassy notes as well. Taste is amazing as well. Some toasted grain, chocolate (dark and bitter), a bit of grass/straw and a slight bitterness, very slight, on the back of the tounge. High carbonation leads to a very thin, crisp mouthfeel. Overall a very good beer, I dont think I really have a complaint about it.

3.76/5  rDev -3.8%

Served in a « Stein »
This beer genre is new to me.
A nice head grew while pouring. It has a grey brown colour. It collapsed very quick. There is some circular lacing.
There isn't any real scent noticeable: slightly burned sensation.
Taste is faint as well. I don't really know how to rate this as it's my first within the genre. Tastes like burned toast, soaked in cool water. In the back some fresh wet grain.
Mouthfeel is full and creamy.
The aftertaste is still creamy but becomes drier over time. Overall the burned taste is dominant.
I tend to be positive about this brew as it's refreshing and it's resemblance to the Rauchbier genre which I find quite enjoyable. Although a richer pallet might have made it even better.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Another goodies that my mother brought back from Germany for me. I was thrilled to get to try this one as it really is one of my favorite styles. I opened this one yesterday afternoon before I got the grill going to sip on while I cleaned. Poured into a tall pilsner glass right out of the fridge. The pour was beautiful Rich dark chocolate color, with only a touch of light peaking through on the sides and bottom. A huge, towering, three inch layer of off white froth came up over the top and dropped layer upon layer of thick side glass lace. Kept at least an inch worth of froth on top throughout the entire session.

The aroma was rich and smoky. Loaded down with peat and earthy malts, it was simple and yet defined with a great balance to it and just enough of a hop nose to push its way up front. The flavor followed suit as well. Great balance here as it started out with some nice notes of caramel and smoky peat, and this quickly transformed into an earthen malt show. Nice grains and bready flavor, with a crisp, quick, and very clean cutoff, which had just the right amount of hop bite to it. Great finish left a long lingering hop driven profile that gradually turned over to your classic German lager finish. Really nice medium bodied ale, the carbonation profile on this one was brilliant. Virtually no alcohol made this a beer that could be sessioned even in the hottest of weather. It is a rare day when I can stomach a smoked lager on a 100 degree day, and that is a testament to just how good this one was.

Overall I thought this was outstanding. Easily one of the best I have ever had in the style and something that I would never turn away. A classic representation, I would have to say that anyone who is a fan should try this and it dare I say might even be a nice gateway to someone who is not well initiated. Top notch beer here.

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours black with just a hint of light fighting its way through to reaveal a dark amber translucence. HUGE foamy cake-like head that has good staying power and leaves a thick ring of sticky lace.
Simple aroma of dark malts and a hint of caramel.
Very earthy (but not dirty) malts, and a hearty bread crust-like characteristic make this beer very interesting and different. Hops are there just enough to maintain a delicate balance that's almost perfect.
Smooth and creamy feel; carbonation is a little low, but I think that's due to a slightly over-aggressive pour. Medium-light body.
This is a highly drinkable Schwarzbier. Sessionable without a doubt.

3.16/5  rDev -19.2%

Very dark brown with a one finger tan creamy head which didn't stay long and left nary any lacing.

Smelled of toffee and maybe even a bit of vinegar. Not really impressive.

Tasted better than it smelled. Some toffee along with chocolate and coffee notes.

Mouthfeel was just average. Smooth yet on the thin side.

This was is a somewhat drinkable beer, although I probably won't be reaching for it again anytime soon. Worth a try if you like this style, but it's not anything particularly memorable.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Picked up a 6'er of this over the weekend, good stuff.

Poured a slighty opaque black with almost an inch of fluffy light tan head.

Smells of roasted malt, coffee.

Taste is unique, not as smooth as some other Schwarzbiers I've had though. Tastes of roasted malt, carmel, coffee, and the finish has a bit of an odd, sweet, chewey almost bubbble gum flavor.

Mouthfeel is nice, very balanced and nice weight, fairly smooth. To anyone else whos had this and wondered if it's just them, I also thought this beer was a bit "unsmooth" on the finish, at least in comparison to others in the same style.

Drinkability is high. This is a very nice Schwarz and being that this is my favorite style, I'll be stocking up on quite a few more.

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

I had this with dinner at Lederhosen in New York.

Pours a deep black with a thick brown head that clings to the side of the glass. The aroma is surprisingly light: biscuity malt, a hint of fruit and light roastiness.

Malty throughout, bready, toasty and lightly sweet. The finish has a nice mild roasty bitterness. Mild, but impressive. High carbonation, light to medium-bodied.

Incredibly drinkable. Mild but still flavorful.

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into Stella glass

A: Dark of course, finger of head that dissipated. Exactly what I would expect schwarzbier to look like.

S: Strong smell, nice malty chocolate on the nose.

T & M: I am very impressed with the taste of this schwarzbier. Strong malty taste with caramel and chocolate traces. Slightly watery on the tongue with after taste. Nice mouthfeel, very refreshing.

D: Definitely drinkable, this is now my favorite schwarzbier although there are still many others I would like to try.

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. No freshness date to be seen.

A: Pours a dark brown, nearly black with some ruby highlights, also it pours pretty thick (at least for the style) and looks quite hearty as it sits in the glass, topped with a creamy one inch sandy white head that fades into a cap in a couple of minutes

S: Really strong toasted malt character, really off the charts toasted, wow! Chocolate but without the sweetness that turns me off to that aroma, fruity (like plum and cherry) this fades a bit as you start drinking the beer but I suppose that is because I am tasting the beer on my tongue and might be clouding my sense of smell. Still though...

T/MF: The first thing that I notice about this beer is the mouthfeel, I honestly don't think it can be improved upon, especially considering that I noticed it before the actual taste of the beer. The beer just snaps on the tongue, carbonation works flavor into all corners of the pallet, tingles the tongue along with a good biting hop bitterness. This beer is alive. Toasted malts, super toasty and bitter chocolate along with subtle buttery fruit undertones. Delicious.

D: This is a beer I've been looking for forever, a beer that does not have to be 7-8% ABV or over to be full of flavor. Highly sessionable, I want another but I only but I only have one. Easy drinking, not gut bustingly filling and tastes great to boot.

3.86/5  rDev -1.3%

0,5 L bottle purchased from my local Edeka supermarket; poured into a glass.

A: very dark brown, almost black, yet transparent. Pours a thick head which dissipates down to about 1/4 inch, but retains its opacity and leaves nice lacing. Looks delicious.

S: sweet, very malty. Some fruity overtones (apricot, maybe plum?) and some coffee-ish notes. The smell is very... liquid. Terminology fails me.

T: Roasty. The malt flavor is very up-front, prompting comparison to rye bread. Earthy, well-developed flavors; not incredibly complex, but this beer isn't shy about its taste.

M: Better than some of the other schwarzbiers I've had here, but nothing to write home about, per se. It's a bit lighter than I would like, but that might just be personal preference. Feels light and vaguely oily on the tongue, then goes down smooth, leaving a bit of oiliness behind.

D: I feel confident in my ability to knock back quite a few of these. The boldness of the flavor might become overwhelming after a while, but I bet I would enjoy the first three or four quite a bit before then.

All in all, a pretty solid offering, and a welcome departure from my standard Erdinger and Warsteiner (the Edeka doesn't have that great of a selection, unfortunately).

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

Consumed at Beachwood BBQ, Seal Beach CA, 05/21/08.

A clear, dark cola colored beer with maroon highlights. One finger, off white head.

Sweet, malty aroma with some fruity overtones.

Light flavored. Malty and somewhat sweet, with anis and raisin highlights. Slight but noticeable bitter aftertaste.

Didn't thrill me, but it's not at all a bad beer.

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Kostrizer pours out a deep brown- black color,retaining a gorgous 2-3 finger head for about 2 minutes, leaving light lacing.
light malts on the nose, a touch of roasted barley,pumpernickel notes as well. The nose is a bit watery. Flavors are excellent. roasted malts, bit of dark breads in there as well. Beer is light bodied, with a "blond soul" as promised on the bottle. Some may argue that it is a bit thin, but think of it as a light bodied dunkel weisen or bock. This is the exact flavor/mouthfeel profile I was expecting in reading the history of this style. An overall great session beer.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

500ml can
4.8% abv

I tried this beer on December 21, 2007 at "Smokeless Joe's" in Toronto. The beer poured a brownish black with a thin tan-coloured head. The aroma was strongly roasted malts. The mouthfeel was medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. The flavour is malty with some chocolate and toffee hints.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Poured out a dark brown color with hints of mahogany. It had a foamy, bubbly, three-finger, light brown colored head. It leaves small traces of soapy lace.

S - It smelled of malt and light hops.

T - It had a mild hop bitterness with a smooth roasted malt flavor adding a little sweet kick.

M - It was soft and smooth. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a great beer. One of the best of the style.

2.58/5  rDev -34%

Pours a dark, nearly impenetrable amber color and smells exactly like a gingersnap cookie. However, in spite of its dark appearance this beer has a very light, thin taste. The mouthfeel is highly carbonated and the beer is quite bitter. However, there really just isn't a lot of flavor to this beer. I couldn't discern much past the bitterness.

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a clear dark brown with a brownish head. Earthy flavor, but a bit thin in a way. Even though it's dark, it's not carrying a huge amount of flavor. A noticed bready sweetness is there. The carbonation is full and slightly biting. Carries a good liquid feel. A nice drinker. Not overly complex, but bringing some nice flavors on the profile and not too bad. Worth the shot.

Appearance - very dark brown beer with a light mocha colored head

Smell - chocolate-like

Taste - chocolate, malty up front but not really sweet and almost no hop profile

Mouthfeel - soft sipper, mild carbonation with a light thin finish

Drinkability - good, would definitely recommend and will buy more if I find it again

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Extremely dark ruby with a large tan head and great retention and good lacing.

S: Germans hop dominate with a bit of mint as well.

T: Full of malts and a very slight smokiness. wtih chocolate and caramel and some raisin and date notes.

M: Nice carbination and a long malty finish.

D: This a great dark session. More flavorful than most schwarz and dunkels.

Köstritzer Schwarzbier from Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei GmbH & Co.