Köstritzer Schwarzbier - Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei GmbH & Co.

Köstritzer SchwarzbierKöstritzer Schwarzbier

Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei GmbH & Co. visit their website
Germany

Schwarzbier |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Köstritzer Schwarzbier Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev -15.8%

Best before 07-05. Poors in very fine with nice brown head and black color. Nose is malty and clean but all together quiet empty. Same way for taste; malty, no body and probably lots of farbebier used. Mouthfeel is ok but misses body. Aftertaste is almost like aftertaste for miniral water. Hardly any bitterness& litle salty. No off tastes though so quiet decent. Drinkability is good but do I want to drink more?

paterlodie, Mar 02, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

this poured a deep black, with a light head.
my boss boight a sixer and we split a bottle (glad my boss is a beer geek) the aroma was malt with some noble hops (i thought they were hallertau, but he said perle). decieving black, if your a stout or porter drinker, this beer is very light body for its color. the malt come through strong some pils,munich, carared, and carafa were our deductions. the hop flavor is nice but not over powering. it was a very well balanced beer malt, hops and aroma, mouthfeel.

plaztikjezuz, Feb 11, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

HiTime Cellars

This style is very intriguing. So used to thick stouts and porters...

This beer pours black with brown tints at the edges. Off white head recedes quickly. Aroma of chocolate more dominant than the roast. On the tongue, the roast/smoke is pretty strong, gets a touch astringent. Chocolate is present. Very clean and light underneath. Finishes a little oily.

Overall: seems like maybe a nice session ale. Not exactly a light refreshing pale lager, though.. Wonder what food would go well here.

oggg, Jan 27, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

I like this style of beer so I had to try this one as it’s touted as the standard for schwarzbier. The pour revealed a very dark but clear cola color beer with a great fluffy tan head that reduced to a 1CM cap that rode out the drink..left remarkable lacing. Aroma of sweet roasted caramel- malt with an earthy tone. The start is sharp put then the palate fills with a smooth mild roasty sweetness balanced with an understated hop dryness that prevents any cloying effect…hints of charred rye bread, dry but not overly so…the hops come in the dry roasty finish. A nice beer…very smooth and drinkable…its availability has made it my standard session drink.

pootz, Jan 24, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

On tap at CAH downtown.

Served in a small dimpled mug, a dark brown, nearly black liquid with a notable coffee-colored head. The description I'd read, which included a "WOW", led me to expect a lot from this beer. However, when I took my first sip, I was underwhelmed.

Not much smell to speak of, with light roasted notes reminding me of your run-of-the-mill porter. The taste, as well, is understated.

However, this would be my session of choice, at under 5% abv, and possessing enough chocolate and roasted flavor to keep me interested. Goes down easy, and grows on you as it warms.

Though it's nothing that blew me away, it does what it does well, and I wouldn't hesitate to order it again in the future.

altctrlsdelete, Jan 09, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a deep cola brown color with a fluffy khaki colored head. Roasty, toasty Munich malt character and suggestions of pumpernickel bread with a slight bit of low-alpha hops nearer the end of the whiff, which can come across as being vegetal at times. Very roasty in flavor without being over-the-top, thin but not too thin. Clean tasting and effervescent, a thoroughly drinkable black lager. It has been years since I had one, now I remember why I used to buy this by the case. A simple beer with a lot of flavor and a delicate balance. Recommended.

crookedhalo, Jan 08, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

God damn I was not expecting a beer this black. It's darker than a dark, dark stout, and its head is perfect white.

Smells hardy, almost like a beery V8 or, as was mentioned before, Tomato soup. Seriously. This is gonna be healthy, I'll bet. More importantly, this is like nothing else I've ever smelled in a beer. Fruits and veggies mixed with roasted malt.

Tastes like Raisins. That's just about it. Raisisn upfront, malt and more dull fruit in the back, and a hint of something smoked. A little bit of juicy aftertaste. Nice. Very different.

This is my first Schwarzbier. I was seriously expecting something akin to Heinekin Dark. What a nice surprise.

To be fair, now that I think about it, this actually tastes like a dark, more complex Bitburger.

mynie, Jan 06, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Dark ruby brown in hue, it is almost black but not quite. When held to a light the ruby influences are more discernable. Still, it is too dark to see any effervesces. The head was beige in color, almost two fingers in height before slowly fading to a half finger cap that sat there, very sturdy. Very good head retention. Subsequent lacing was clumpy in spots but naked in others. Excellent appearance. The nose is very soft but articulate. Faint notes of licorice, milk chocolate, toasted sugar, earthy espresso and just a kiss of char. The potency is low; even though I have to sniff hard I like what I smell in the bouquet. It is well organized. Overall the aromas are very pleasant in a soft, gracefully kind of way. Nice. The palate is not as thoughtful as the nose indicated. Still there is good flavor here, dry, roasted malts with not much sweetness, not much caramel (but there is some). Vague earthiness. Espresso. Cocoa. Hints of licorice. The palate isn’t as “put-together” as I’d like, there isn’t anything wrong with it. Hell, it is quite good really but it seems to be missing something. Maybe I’m looking for just a little more assertiveness… maybe this is as loud as I can expect from a Schwarzbier. Tasty. Medium-light in body, it’s a tickle too thin, the carbonation is a bit low and the mouthfeel comes across too slick. The mouthfeel isn’t an issue but it could be improved, IMO. Very drinkable, this beer is a lovely quaff especially when the modest abv is factored in. I’d certainly drink a few at a bar if I want to keep the alcohol intake low. I think this beer is available in Omaha but I purchased this bottle in West Des Moines. I should have tried this beer sooner but I guess I’m just a moron. Oh well. Good stuff. Worthy of a try, IMO.

bditty187, Dec 20, 2004
3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

Almost black in color, with some mahogany reflexes. Brown head, not too much, but good.
In the smell malt and roasted caramel, but even candy sugar, and the aroma of fresh hop.
In the taste the sweetness permeates the palate, in an uniform manner, but it is well balanced by the bitterness.
Medium-medium-low in body.
In the aftertaste, after an initial hit of sweetness, it comes out sharp the bitterness. Even liquorice and cocoa powder.
Well balanced.

stcules, Dec 12, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

I should admit straight off that I'm no Schwartzbier expert. i even had to look above to get the spelling. This was an appealing offering, however, so I threw decent marks its way. How the hell does one type an umlaut?

Deep deep mahogany hue with a trace of ruby around the edges. Terrific big roast malt aroma with some large coffee notes.

It's got a slightly rounder mouthfeel than a "Dark beer" (Tuborg Dark? Becks Dark? get it? bigger than those.) Nowhere near as thick or bold as a stout or porter. This kind of thing might frighten some away from "dark beer."

Hops just enough to offset the big malt presence. Big roasty grain and coffee presence throughout swallow (two bold notes, with no variation from attack to finish.) Just a touch of sour.

Enjoyed at Dusseldorf on The Beach 11/23/04.

ecoboy, Dec 09, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Half-liter bottle, in a nonik glass.

Appearance: Deep rich dark color, tinted slightly red. Good head retention, with a crown of tan foam, and nice lacing.

Aroma: Very rich bread-like aroma, touch of caramel. Almost coffee-like.

Flavor: Clean bready dark malt, almost but-not-quite burnt. Bitterness is fairly low but comes in a touch at the end. Coffee-like flavors again, slightly chocolately. A good, clean finish.

Body: Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Medium carbonation.

Very good schwarz, one of the best of the few imported to the US.

allengarvin, Dec 09, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

Starts with a malty aroma that leaps from the bottle like a racehorse. Next comes four Belushi-sized fingers of vigorous head that sits resolutely like tanned whipped cream. The aroma continues to provoke the senses with a luscious, mouthwatering perfume. Though I couldn’t make sense of the apparent bottling date on the label, (A-7?) and I purchased this half-liter bottle from a merchant notorious for his dusty wares, it was immediately obvious to me that this bottle did not lack for freshness.

This schwarzbier was easily as dark as any stout. Its flavor had a tough time catching up to its exceptional aroma, but still came through with a graceful sequence of sweet malts modestly checked with a light hop scheme.

RedDiamond, Dec 03, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Had this on tap at the local pub. Got some nice stemmed Kostritzer glasses to drink it out of as well. Pours a very dark brown color with a moderate, off-white head that has decent retention and leaves some nice lacing on the glass (and pitcher). The aroma was roasted malts and a low level of hops were detected. The flavor was silky smooth. Caramel and roasted malts with a silght bitter profile from the hops. Full-bodied and easy to drink.

clvand0, Nov 29, 2004
3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

This is my first Schwartz ever and I don't quite know what to think about it. The beer looked great, with a dark brown color and great fluffy brown head that stayed thick till the end and left great lace down the glass. The smell was big on earthy scents and grass, with a bit of maltiness thrown in for good measure. The taste was unique, reminded me of a cross between a brown ale and a weak Doppelbock. It had a very earthy flavor to it and I could imagine it being enjoyed much more with a traditional hearty German meal. But on it's own, it did not do too much for me. I will revisit this one for sure next time I cook up some brats!

Dmann, Nov 28, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer pours a brown color with ruby tons at the edges. One finger of head falls to a quarter inch over the beer. The nose is nice. Some light chocolate nad hints of dark fruit come through. A nice offering. The flavor is also nice. Good chocolate covered fig makes it hard to know I'm drinking a lager beer. The flavor is a touch thin, but its not too bad. Feel is a bit thin, as I would like a thicker beer for the style. Overall, drinkability is really good on this one. I had a pitcher plus of this tonight and was able to go home and have a couple more on top of it, so how can I complain. Good lager beer.

kmpitz2, Nov 25, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -26%

This is my first schwarzbier and I already think it may be my last. The color and head (body clone of a stout) we wonderful. The aroma was a little weak and uninteresting. The taste was just foul. It started out like a crisp pilsner and was followed with a piney, oatmeal combination. It was not a pleasant taste. It is just hard to grasp a black lager that has such an identity crisis. Too many half-ass beer styles wrapped into one.

ALESwhatCURESya, Nov 15, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Wonderful looking beer, with a stout like appearance. Black body, creamy tan head, good amounts of lacing.

Taste was malty, sweet, caramel with a clean hop bite. Slight sourness, metallic but otherwise very tasty. Very drinkable. Great lager.

Mouthfeel is smooth and full bodied.

baiser, Nov 06, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

This is a really great looking lager, it is very dark an looks black in the glass with a bit of dark red-brown at the edges. Head is a contrasting white which laced well. Smell was dark chocolate and bread. Taste was very good will some roasted malts and more hops than a typical stout, and a biscuity flavour and a nice bitter chocolate finish. Mouthfeel was light, and very smooth. It may look like a stout because of its blackness, but it is a lager through and through. I could drink this all day, and I probably will. In short "Das Bier für Sie!"

tatterdash, Oct 30, 2004
3.85/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This actually the first schwartz beer that I had tried. I was very impressed by the appearance of this beer. It pours black but not like a stout of course.

I couldn't detect too much aroma from this beer. Just a hint of chocolate, and hops.

The taste was a little less that what I expected. The taste is of a lager that has a little more maltiness to it. I didn't detect too much tomato soup though. This beer is not overpowering by any means.

This beer was fizzy with a decent head that didn't last but did continue to leave a slight ring with some lacing down the glass.
Mouthfeel like others have said is kind of grainy which I found pleasant.

Overall a decent and unique beer. I think I might try this again especially with some good German food, and also to see if I can detect the tomato soup taste.

baugherlager, Oct 10, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Poured into a wine glass, this truly is a black beer. Body is opaque black, with a fizzy white head of an inch that fades into a persistent lace. The beer is obviously less viscous than a stout. Cool. Black lager.

Smell: A sweet scent of malted barley is reminiscent of dried fruit and some soft alcohol.

Taste: More dilute than one might expect, this really is an easy going lager with a different color. Smooth malts lend a flavor of dark fruits, light brandy. In many ways similar to a Belgian Dark Ale, only less intense, easier to consume. In the finish exists a light grassy taste of German Hallertau or perhaps Sazz. Very easy to drink. Very nice flavor, not too overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Thin. American Macro thin, but it seems to work with this beer. Not one to sip and ponder over, this really is more of an everyday drinker.

Drinkability: Very good. It looks like it might be too much to have over and over, but the mild flavor and light mouthfeel make this easily drank and quite satisfying. I can see what Goethe found these so tasty. It’s like a crazy German Schlitz or something. Quite interesting.

99bottles, Oct 01, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

500ml bottle

Pours with a dark ruby body, black when not exposed to much light, slight fomay tan head, poor retention and some lacing

Smell, limited, slight roasted malt, not much else, some slight chemical aromas

Taste, dry and malty, slight chocolaty body although very faint, almost like a watered down guinness extra stout

Not bad, quite a thin mouthfeel but backed up by a fair degree of flavour

cypressbob, Aug 28, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours absolutely black, pitch, freaking black. Black as deepest space, as seen through the darkest sunglasses on the planet, with a burlap bag over your head, while sitting inside a photographers' darkroom during a power outage. I love it!!! A big, thick , chewy head that drops slowly to about 1/4 ". Good lacing through most of the glass.
Smell was malty, sweet, a little fruity, with a hint of something I couldn't place and slight hops.
Taste was excellent, roasted malts, some fruit (orange and maybe prune?), some hops, a little grassy then light coffee at the end. Great complexity.
Smooth with a light to medium body for the color but much fuller-bodied than most any other lager you could mention, not thick enough to be creamy (like a porter would be) but I keep trying to think of it that way. Not overly carbonated, just nicely effervescent all over the tongue.
Drinkablity is great! This is "the beer" to give someone that hates dark beer but likes wheats or lager or even pale ales. A mental classification breaker. Much better than any other dark lager I've ever had. Looks and drinks almost like a lighter-weight porter. A fantastic beer.

PorterLambic, Aug 09, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

served in glass 7/8 inch head, however it faded away and the lace didnt' stand up too strong, very dark, black, maybe a hint of crimson.. but pretty much all black

smell: its a little roasted and a barely a hint of lager freshness

taste: very refreshing and a much lighter beer than you would expect from the somewhat bold look and smell. This is a very non challenging beer, somewhat roasted but almost no bitterness, very smooth, somewhat of a tinge on the sides of your tounge. Roasted flavor. but very subdued compared to say, any stout I have ever had

mouthfeel: light, not very thick, almost like pop, the foamy thickness just doesn't hold up. But a good mouthfeel for waht I expected fromt he schwarzbier

drinkability: it's real high point... I could just sit and drink a gallon of this.. not a hint of alchohol, not very roasted, not bitter, no esters, very refreshing, a very "chill" beer. Drink a few of these cold and enjoy their ease. I good beer that wont challenge you in the slightest. A good beer to give those scared of dark beer :)

aaronbeach69, Jul 29, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

pours like a fizzy porter, just a tad less black than a stout. The tan head is fluffy and large but also shortlived. Aroma is of roasted malts and believe it or not Campbells Tomato soup, I might be crazy but it really smells like it, and not in a bad way. There are tonnes of bubbles emerging from the blackness, its very interesting to look at. The taste is of roasted malts, rye or pumpernickel bread, chocolate malts and very subdued hops. It completely lacks the bitterness of a stout. It has a somewhat grainy mouthfeel. A very interesting brew that I will try again if I get the chance.

CAMRAhardliner, Jul 09, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a clear dark brown with a large light brown head. Average strength aroma of toasted nuts and coffee, with notes of wine, and wood smoke. The aroma is wonderful and the taste is full and rich, with hints of red pepper, figs and chocolate. Fairly thin, and lightly sweet with some hop bitters to sop it up. Cereal, coffee, chocolate later on. Dry finish. Pretty tasty beer.

stoutman, Jul 05, 2004
Köstritzer Schwarzbier from Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei GmbH & Co.