Double IPA - Ithaca Beer Company

Double IPADouble IPA

Ithaca Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Hop farming once thrived in New York State. In the early 1900s, 95% of all hops used in the US were grown here in New York. However, soon the combination of crop disease & prohibition put an end to local hop growing. Today, there's a new movement afoot to bring commercial hops back to NY. The Ithaca Beer has teamed up with Pederson Farms (Seneca Castle, NY) to create a Double IPA brewed with 100% NY hops.

(Beer added by: ithacabaron on 02-24-2004)

rab53, Dec 01, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +23.2%

An east coast IPA that rivals and beats any IPA, in my opinion. I have never had an IPA with such depth and complexity. The hops where strong and potent. There was a fruity berry taste along with subtle citric nuances. I am at a loss for words. Ithaca has raised the bar. Could they be the next great micro? I think so.

CBFanWish, Mar 19, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +22%

Perfection en glass! I missed the first batch of this, so jumped on the second as soon as it came out, and boy am I glad I did!

Appearance: Poured beautifully, a sparkling golden hue. Just the right head settling to a nice lace.

The nose: This is a DIPA, where is the nose? It is soft and subtle, very crisp and citrusy, not in your face at all. Shouldn't this be bigger? Disappointment ahead?

Taste: Well, the first taste is not too intense either.The hops are present, pleasant, very even. There is wonderfully sweet malt backing everything up, so the balance is right on. As I continue, the hops become more pronounced, and the DIPA character starts to assert itself. This is like fine Thai cooking, the heat slowly building to a toasty crescendo, setting off that perfect buzz between your ears.

Mouthfeel: Weighty over time. This beer builds over time, the high ABV well hidden. Oh so dangerous!

Drinkability: Magical Mystery Hop Tour! Perfect!

Side note: the hops are from Pedersen Farm in Seneca Castle NY. They are Cascade, Mt Hood and Willamette, and "this is the first time in at least 50 years that a beer has been brewed with all NY hops." Praise be: they are expanding!

brewbird, Feb 25, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

butters_mcgee, Feb 26, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured from a growler thanks to shippos.
A beautiful, hazy orange/bronze color w/ a full finger and a half of off-white head. Head is very fluffy and sticks around during most of each pint..lacing is thin and disappears too quickly.
The aromas are not as overpowering as I was expected, but nice hints of fruity hops and caramel.
Taste is really impressive...a masterful blend of hops and malts...the malts keeping this IIPA from being too aggressive.
Oranges and grapefruit up front w/ a malt backbone to make this one offer something for everyone...even if you are not a hophead.
The mouthfeel is the most impressive, being that this growler is over a week old since originally filled...it is just slightly slick, with the consensus being perfectly carbonated and refreshing. Not overly bitter and has no lingering aftertaste.
Despite the ABV%, I could drink this one all afternoon...wouldn't be worth a sh*t, but the alcohol is totally hidden in this double.
My only regret is sharing this w/ others...good thing I have a couple in bottle (thanks to HappyHourHero).
One heck of a IIPA that I am so thankful for the chance to try.

3.10 pumped up the review a bit after enjoying a bottle of this gem...instead of a separate review.

warriorsoul, Feb 27, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +16.9%

This is simply an amazing IPA. Got it down at MacGregors. It came in a pitcher and poured a dark iced tea amber color into the imperial pint mug, with thick foamy head, and a bit of lace. Smell is thick with sweet piny hops, with a tinge of a kind of fresh sea water smell. Taste is tons of hops, with a backbone of malt and some of the same sea salty flavors from the smell. A full bodied warming mouthfeel, with very little carbonation. This beer is just so good, its hard to describe. One of the best IPAs Ive ever had.

FranklinPCombs, Mar 15, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Package: 12 oz. longneck, crowned brown bottle. No date information or ABV indicated. The only information on the rather bland label is that the hops are “100% New York State Grown Hops.” The beer is simply called “Double IPA” and has a silhouette of the Statue of Liberty and the state of New York.

Cost: $12.50 per 6-pack at Finger Lakes Beverage

Presentation: Poured into a Shaker pint glass at ~45º

Appearance: Pours a rich, amber brown with an orange glow, not much lighter than the color of the bottle! Cloudy to the point of being opaque, lending it a substantial look, like real amber. The beige head is rich, dense, and tightly grained. The head persists throughout the pint, heavily coating the Shaker pint.

Smell: The first thing I thought of, was that there was almost no alcohol volatility on the nose. Instead, there is the classic Ithaca Beer herbaceousness, backed by a round fruitiness and some nice malt breadiness. However, they’ve added a lot more bite to the bark of the hops. Tingly tendrils of hops reach out for your olfactory nerve, poking and prodding.

Taste: This is a real “velvet hammer” of a beer. At first, this seems like just a great IPA; but like the best hot and spicy meals, the heat and hops build in your mouth until you are enveloped in a flavor storm. This has a surfeit of flavors with no flaws: the fruitiness and menthol-like hops are not blemished by bitter astringency or thinness. Again, Ithaca Beer uses the malt elements well, but this beer is all about the hops. The finish is long, warming, and spicy.

Mouthfeel: This is warm, rich, and concentrated; without being heavy or flabby. As is usual for an Ithaca beer, the carbonation was excellent, giving this a very clean, tasty, “feel.” Body is medium (but not thin), especially for such a high-ABV, concentrated beer.

Drinkability: Reminded me very much of the Ramstein Winter Wheat for how deceptive the ABV levels in this are. If I didn’t know better, I’d assume that this was just a phenomenal session IPA. The only hints to its potency are the depth and concentration of flavors. Could be VERY dangerous if it weren’t so limited. This is probably the most drinkable Double IPA I’ve ever had, hands down.

Backwash: I’ve been salivating over getting my hands on these and finally did so this weekend. I had a friend pick them up for me at Finger Lakes Beverage, and boy am I glad I did. I even had a chance to try a Hop Wallop alongside, which seemed harsh, crude, and simplistically flavored in comparison. My only qualm is that this is so smooth that I STILL question whether this can really be 10% ABV. I will see if I can find out more. I can only hope that the next run of this is larger than 40 cases so other BA’s get a chance to try it.

NB: I confirmed with IB that ABV's ranged from 9.3% to 10.0%, with the bottles clocking it at the top of the range! And, they will be making this again!

Dantes, Jul 26, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange body, a good fingers worth of white head. Good retention and some nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma: A light sweetness. Hops are subtle (for a DIPA) yet definitely present. Not overly piney or citrusy. Not sure what the hops are in this, I'll have to look it up.

Taste: Mmmm...very nice. Quite balanced in the sweetness and the bitterness. The bitter aftertaste that lingers is tasty, urging another sip. There's nothing that really stands out, yet it works so well. Not even a hint of the alcohol, except for a warming in the stomach.

Mouthfeel: Perfect in my book. Not dry at all for the alcohol content. Slightly sticky in the mouth, but just barely. Perfect carbonation.

Drinkability: I could have 3 or 4 of these easy.

JackStraw22, Mar 08, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Week-old growler from the brewery, treated well. This was incredible on tap there... If you don't know, limited availability DIPA brewed for three months with all-NY grown hops, they told me there's only one farm growing them commercially and IBC uses up all of that farm's hops for this. $10 for the growler.

Slightly hazy dark orange color, a brilliant tangerinish sort of hue around the edges. Head doesn't retain that well, but otherwise this beer is a beaut. EDIT: The other pints from the growler, with some more coaxing via a better pour, turned out thick, sturdy heads that stuck around.

Smells of grainy, starchy malts and the most delicate hops. Most of the time, "floral" is a stretch, but these hops really are tender and airy. I'd put them in a flower bouquet. Surprisingly subdued for a DIPA, not that aggressive.

Sweet, biscuity malts support a wonderfully complex palette of hoppiness. Considering how powerful the hops are, it is barely bitter at all. These are not the industrial, take-the-enamel-off-your-teeth hops -- this is artistry. Pine sap, grapefruit, orange blossoms, pine cones. Even my burps are outstanding. Not an overpowering DIPA, but since so many are, I find it extremely refreshing.

Mouthfeel is creamy and delicious, avoiding the trap of overcarbonation that often strikes me with hoppier ales. Fun to swish around, and leaves a resiny finish of hop oils (not bitterness, though) and clementines.

A superbly drinkable DIPA. I enjoy the occasional hop bomb, although I'm not a full-fledged hophead, and I LOVE that this is so mellow. Mellow is in fact the perfect word for this DIPA ... chill out with it, relax, and appreciate it. A perfect take on an often over-the-top style. I can't taste the alcohol, although I can sure feel it after a pint.

My review is a little biased due to hometown pride and the fact that the people at the brewery are great, but this really is a fantastic brew. My current favorite from IBC, and my favorite I2PA.

semihobo, Mar 05, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

The Ithaca Double is an Imperial IPA lover's delight. I sprung for a pitcher at MacGregor's Tap Room in Rochester, and I did not regret the choice--nor did any of my BA comrades with whom I had the good fortune to share this find. It poured a thick, dark amber with a smooth, creamy off-white head. The hops absolutely jump out at you, clamoring to be tasted. And taste them I did--delicious, with a backdrop of sweet cedar. The mouthfeel was thick and like buttered silk. There's very little indication that you are drinking an ale that is 10% alcohol; must be the caramel covering. So, watch out; this is no session beer.

longpondbeerman, Mar 16, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours as a dark amber red with a settled khaki splotchy coating leaving a solid coating of head cap in the glass. This is a solid paint job!

Nose of bright cherry soda! Carrot cake envelops the malt aspect.

First swigs: Bright fruit explodes out with green apple, red apple, cherry, with a slight saw dust oaky aspects. DELICIOUS! Tacky thick cornicipoia with watermelon and canteloupe!

Feel is firm and clean with a brisk aftertaste.

Last swigs: Mixed fruit bubblegum 2ipa that kicks!!!

blitheringidiot, Jul 30, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

I had this on tap at Lionheart in Albany. I figured you can't go wrong with a double IPA, and in this case I was right.

The appearance is nothing too special, just clear orange-yellow stuff with sticky foam. But the aroma is massive pine needle and grapefruits with a strong malt undercurrent. Same with the taste, very similar to DFH 90 minute in my opinion (one of my favorite beers). It was completely tasty and I couldn't detect the alcohol at all. I had no idea it was 10% until I saw it just now on BA. Thus good drinkability.

TurdFurgison, Aug 23, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a cloudy orange color with a creamy 1-finger beige head.

The smell is a ton of citrus hops and plenty of malty sweetness.

A very interesting tasting beer. Starts off sweet and then both the sweetness and the citrus hops become very intense in the middle, perfectly balancing each other out, before a (not overly) bitter hop finish that fades leaving all of the flavors sticking to the inside of your mouth. Reminds me of the great divide hurcules in how it produces tasty, sweet, syrupy hoppy burps.

Mouthfeel is very full for the style, creamy and spicy on the tongue from the hops and/or alcohol content.

I put this right up there with my favorite DIPAs. An excellent beer. The good balance between the sweet malt and the loads of hops is much easier on the palate than some of the hop bomb DIPAs and allows you to drink a few, although the 10% abv would prevent you from sessioning with this beer. I also love that they're using all NYS-grown hops and I hope the NYS hop industry continues to grow back to where we were a hundred years ago.

johnniemarg, Nov 04, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Froathy, yellowish cream colored head that leaves a thick coating of lace. I've had my growler sitting in the fridge for four days and it still holds up pretty well. Kind of a mandarin grapefruit hop aroma something makes me think of flower nectar. Slightly hazy, golden honey color. The hops taste fresh, kind of like when you sneak a taste of homebrewed IPA just before you prime it. Smooth, light malt base holds back the bitterness, which stops short of going overboard. I don't even notice the alcohol. The body is moderate, a light coating of hop oils sticks to the back of the tongue. I really dig the fresh hop flavors, and the beer is very drinkable for a 10% IIPA. The only thing that stops me from drinking often is the price, it's expensive (not pricey) which I'm assuming is due to amount ingredients and the use of only NY hops. I'm sure this beer will do well. It's nice to see Ithaca Beer Co. make a potent beer.

HappyHourHero, Mar 04, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

I consider this one of my current favorites.

A-clear and red, only a little carbonation
S-floral, citrus, maybe orange
T-definitely tips the hops/malt balance towards hops, but a nice clean finish, and not overpoweringly hoppy or bitter. Definitely get some of that citrus aroma in the flavor as well.
D-superb drinkability, in my opinion. While too big for a session beer, I would (and do) have more than one.

prandolph, Apr 22, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at the Pizza Plant on Transit,poured into a goblet a deep hazed burnt orange with a very tight,sticky 1/2 finger head that settled very slowly.Awesome deep piney,resinous aromas with some grapefruit rind in there as wel the alcohol has a fruitiness to it wich goes well with the big pine elemants.True to DIPA form the massive hops hit hard but dont overwhelm,big pine notes and grapefruit zest,like pure hop juice with a slight warming alcohol kick.There is a lightly sweet biscuity base but its overwhelmed bigtime by the hops and Iam not complaining,I loved it but the goblets at Pizza Plant kinda suck I want pint upon pint of this baby.

oberon, Apr 08, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

Recently enjoyed this brew,which is frequently on tap, at me favorite watering hole. Given the high alcohol content, it's served in a snifter glass. The appearance is cloudy. Golden wheat comes to mind. No head whatsoever. The nose though is predominantly fruity with evidence of ripe, citrusy fruit like oranges, lemons and the like. Very pleasant. The taste, not surprisingly, resembles the aroma with fruity esters up front but it's the alcohol that comes through in the finish. A very smooth double IPA with some hop bitterness in the mouthfeel and in the flavor itself, but really it's not that hoppy. I like it thiat way. The mouthfeel is smooth yet somewhat chewy in that in glazes the tongue with maltiness and boozy fruit making for a somewhat viscuous body. Drinkable, but not a session brew by any stretch. A special treat and a nice way to finish a bought at your favorite pub.

jim102864, Apr 14, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

A much anticipated release! Sampled by the growler, filled on-tap at the brewery the day after it became available to the public. The big thing behind this beer is that it is the only beer in the US currently made with all NY state hops. The hops in this case are Cascade, Willamette, and Mt. Hood.

Appearence is the color of late fall honey, slightly hazy, with a foamy head that settles down to a smaller one, much like many IBC beers, and not suprising, considering the ABV.

Aroma is hop heaven, with definate notes of honey, white grapes, candied apricots, and delicious malt.

Taste is very similar, with that honeyed taste coming through again, slightly buttery in texture. Oddly enough, for having that taste, it is not a sweet honey taste, rather more resinous in character. Much like their standard "Flower Power" IPA, this is not as overwhelmingly bitter as you'd expect, going towards more of a floral, delicate hop profile. Now, don't get me wrong, there's tons of hops in this, most of them probably added in the later parts of the brewing process -- they're just not designed to be mindnumbingly bitter, that's all. The ABV is pretty well hidden, although there is a small, spicy flash of booze at the end of the finish, which I felt actually added well to the character.

Mouthfeel is not aggressive at all, which fits the style excellently.

Drinkability gets good notes, in part because this is not cloying or heavy like some Double/Imperial IPAs. Still, be careful with this one, the brewmaster told me that the lab came back saying this last batch was just 9.2% ABV, but that all others will be at the full 10 -- and believe me, 9.2 is enough to make trouble if you don't take your time with this one. Delightfully, and decadently intoxicating, especially as it gets to room temperature.

This isn't my absolute favorite Double/Imperial IPA, but it is an excellent offering from IBC, and a refreshingly different take on the style.

It can certainly hold its own with many of the finest examples of Double/Imperial IPA out there today.

ithacabaron, Feb 24, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Ohhhh man. Ever open a growler knowing that the contents were going to kick your butt and hard, but you were going to enjoy the ride regardless? This is one of those times.

Pours a brilliant yet cloudy (this baby's unfiltered) gold with a white head that laces down the glass quite impressively. Aroma is a combination of toasted biscuity malt dipped in honey, combined with whiffs of citric hops and fumes of alcohol.

Wow. Just... wow. Starts off with this amazingly floral hoppiness - think irises - then blooms into a stunning mix of caramel and biscuity malt, honey, citric hop bitterness and flavor, and an warm alcoholicness that does not burn at all. Every taste bud is greeted and happy. The finish is slightly bitter, very mildly numbing on the back of the roof of the mouth, with honey and floral aromatics. Round and smooth, with a tingly, slightly syrupy mouthfeel. The drinkability improves with use - Danger, Will Robinson!!!

A beer that keeps getting better and better from a brewery doing the same. And a fun aside - it ages in bottle spectacularly. Goood stuff.

sponberg, Jul 16, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

12oz. bottle courtesy of shippos.

Poured a cloudy bright orange in color with a thick layer of white head. Very nice lacing of the glass. Aromas are what you'd expect from a double IPA: all sorts of pine cone hops fly out of the glass and assail the notrils. Is there any balancing by the malts? Hard to tell. Flavor is more of the same, but there is a bit more sweetness that shows up. The ABV shows up in the finish, with almost a medicinal-like character. Lots of bitterness in the finish, too. Solid, solid beer.

Quite the "west-coast" version of the style, it reminded me a little of Dreadnaught...worthy praise, indeed. A treat for this certified hop-head.

OldFrothingSlosh, Aug 16, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

This was on tap for literally 15 minutes before I got my hands on an imperial pint of this Imperial IPA. Truly fresh.

Poured a murky dark golden with a foamy white head but not overly large just a nice think froth on top. Lacing was spectaular as in covered the entire inside of the mug. This is certainly evidence of the immense alcohol of this hop monster quietly asleep inside.

Smell was tons of hops, notes of syrup like esters and a slight whiff of sweet alcohol that morphed into a more sweet honey malt aroma that lacked the smokey pressure of the syrup. An interesting note in the finish of the smell was some berry(raspberry/strawberry) fruitiness. Cool.

Taste was supremely hoppy with more syrupy sweetness, there was also a more hop bitterness as opposed to the juicy hops towards the beginning of the blush, but still that juicy hops dominated not piney like most regular IPAs. Malts played second fiddle to the hops but they still had a good role with slight toastiness and more honey malts. Its obvious that the malts impart a huge amount of alcohol.

Impressions are as follows: This is certainly a psuedo style. But a style none the less. I think its home would be on the west coast. This is a wonderful interpretation of the style. This only comes second to the Dreadnaught in my opinion. Who knew that Ithaca had it in them.

GreatPondBrewer, Feb 26, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

poured a hazy golden with decent white head.
resiny piney aroma tons of hops and excellent citrusy aromas very nice malt back bone in the aroma. excellent chewy mouthfeel slightly syrupy. somewhat subdued taste as far as the hop are concernd...maybe due to the age of the bottles. this was extremely tasty and unbelievably hoppy when it's fresh and on draft. very drinkable for the style, almost too drinkable.

shippos, Aug 30, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Beertruth for this bottle (two actually).

Pours a murky orange brown color. Thick white head that dissolved to a scattered lacing resting on top. Nose is more malty with som citrus and orange tones cming from the hops.

A really, smooth and balanced DIPA. NY State can produce some decent hops. Malts are strong and give a sgary, almost-caramel base. Hops are mild citrus and provide a slow, smooth bitterness rather than a biting bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. I am really enjoying this DIPA. Hop oils stick around a bit but not so much as to ruin the palate. My second bottle will not last long.

MuddyFeet, Jun 08, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

This pours a clear coppery color with a medium foamy head. The head has large bubbles and really didn't last too long,but this is still a very good looking beer. The smell has a very strong hop aroma,very nice. Not much citrus ,but a lot of hops. The taste is a crisp brew with hops. There is no hop bitterness,but the hops totally dominate this beer. This is creamy and very good. The m/f is light and well balanced making this a very good beer and the best Ithaca beer I've had.

jmz62565, Jul 24, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours hazy, cloudy orange with yellow highlights. Thin white head and lots of effervescence screaming for the surface.
Aroma of complex fruits and nuts to start moving to a powerful, deep rich resin and hop note. Very interesting hop note be interested in varietal.
Flavor has spicy and grapefruit tang followed by an overflow of complex caramel and other malts and pale biscuit flavors. touch of nuttiness.
Mouthfeel is very chewy and sweet feel. Lightly spiced finish is very fruity and very complex.
Drinkability is high. Hard to believe only hops grown in my home state of NY are used. Very NW style influenced.
Thanks to Dantes for this rarity.

CRJMellor, Aug 30, 2004